PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2030 Pick Swap with Dallas ranked as 4th most valuable traded FRP

buttsR4rebounding
08-16-2023, 11:05 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-all-56-traded-future-nba-first-round-picks-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-trades-shake-up-list/

Article takes into account the quality of team's front office. One reason the 2030 pick swap is ranked so high is the ineptitude of the Dallas FO to make quality moves. On the other end of the scale is the Charlotte pick which is ranked 54th out of 56.

exstatic
08-16-2023, 11:08 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-all-56-traded-future-nba-first-round-picks-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-trades-shake-up-list/

Article takes into account the quality of team's front office. One reason the 2030 pick swap is ranked so high is the ineptitude of the Dallas FO to make quality moves.

It's amazing to me now bad they really are. Is this a case like Jerry Jones, where Cuban is such a meddler that no quality GM wants to work there?

buttsR4rebounding
08-16-2023, 01:05 PM
For those who don't want to read the long-ass article these are the Spurs picks:
4. 2030 Dallas Swap--article said this could be ranked as high as #2.
10. 2027 Atlanta pick
14. 2024 Toronto pick
18. 2025 Atlanta pick
24. 2026 Atlanta swap
30. 2025 Chicago pick
37. 2028 Boston swap
54. 2024 Charlotte pick

The Spurs own 8 out the 56 traded picks/swaps. Not too shabby...

JPB
08-16-2023, 01:37 PM
Imagine we get Luka and a Dallas top 3 pick a few years later.

Powned!

spurraider21
08-16-2023, 01:50 PM
were it not for dejounte signing his extension, our hawks picks would have ranked much higher

The Truth #6
08-16-2023, 02:18 PM
Dejounte signing the extension could still help the pick be higher. Tension with Trae seems likely at some point but just speculating.

barakz21
08-16-2023, 02:32 PM
Man.. would be hilarious if we ended up with Luka on top of getting a potential lottery pick lol

exstatic
08-16-2023, 02:35 PM
Man.. would be hilarious if we ended up with Luka on top of getting a potential lottery pick lol

If I'm Cuban, no matter what or how much else would be included in a potential Luka deal, I'd demand that swap back to prevent just such an occurrence.

exstatic
08-16-2023, 02:36 PM
I'm wondering why the Boston swap is so low, seeing that it's 5 years from now, and they'll be past their sell by date.

JPB
08-16-2023, 03:48 PM
If I'm Cuban, no matter what or how much else would be included in a potential Luka deal, I'd demand that swap back to prevent just such an occurrence.

Which could give Cuban more incentive to actually trade Luka to SA... Spurs machiavelic plan all along? :stirpot:

That would be a pretty nice potential asset in that perspective too.

wildbill2u
08-16-2023, 07:21 PM
I don't see Dallas FO as so bad they would trade their top star to a in-state division rival. not that crazy

exstatic
08-16-2023, 07:47 PM
I don't see Dallas FO as so bad they would trade their top star to a in-state division rival. not that crazy

Players force their way out sometimes, and we have one of the biggest bags to throw at Dallas. They’d not be screwed like Philly or Portland.

JPB
08-17-2023, 03:48 AM

you just play them 2 more games a year and division standings don't matter anymore regarding PO seeds... Yeah, there's the rivalry but I do'nt see any team having a better combination of young promising players + picks (including that potentially valuable swap) than the spurs... Would also depends on how Luka could force his way here and/or Cuban wanting to make him a solid. Spurs could throw a big bunch of FPRs + a gazillion seconds + anybody from KJ, Branham, Vassel... the FRPs we'll draft the next two years, then some of champagnie/Bassey/Barlow... whoever develop as a rotation guy, as sweeteners. Sochan may not be out of the table either.

Maddog
08-17-2023, 05:46 AM
I'm wondering why the Boston swap is so low, seeing that it's 5 years from now, and they'll be past their sell by date.

Factoring in the quality of the front office and stars are young Tatum will be 30.
Of course 5 years is long time off
Injury, demands for trades, etc.

exstatic
08-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Factoring in the quality of the front office and stars are young Tatum will be 30.
Of course 5 years is long time off
Injury, demands for trades, etc.

They’re already losing players to pay the stars, and you know that Tatum will make even more than Brown’s ridiculous deal. I think they’ll be past their championship window in 2-3 years, mainly due to a lack of depth, plus their stars aging past 30.

Seventyniner
08-17-2023, 09:28 AM
They’re already losing players to pay the stars, and you know that Tatum will make even more than Brown’s ridiculous deal. I think they’ll be past their championship window in 2-3 years, mainly due to a lack of depth, plus their stars aging past 30.

I can understand why the 2030 Dallas swap was ranked higher. Even with a 30+ Tatum, the Celtics are unlikely to completely bottom out. Dallas, on the other hand, has a very wide range of outcomes 7 years out. Potential upside was a key part of the rankings.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-17-2023, 10:18 AM

Delete this before he reads it! :lol

barakz21
08-17-2023, 10:22 AM

good thing you’re not, because then the chance remains that it’ll happen. Lol