PDA

View Full Version : Coach Aldridge?

Ocotillo
09-15-2023, 03:45 PM
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nba/spurs/lamarcus-aldridge-joining-spurs-coaching-staff-training-wembanyama-nba-san-antonio/273-3a1785be-2e36-4279-9653-a1657eb3846a

A fan on X (formerly Twitter) asked Aldridge if he'd be open to returning to San Antonio to join the Spurs as a player development coach.

And he answered in the affirmative: "Yup!"

exstatic
09-15-2023, 03:54 PM
Nah. I'm not open to him coming back, because he wasn't open to coming off the bench when it was clearly better for the team, especially defensively.

MultiTroll
09-15-2023, 03:59 PM
Nah. I'm not open to him coming back, because he wasn't open to coming off the bench when it was clearly better for the team, especially defensively.
Complained about Muh Touches when were in a Championship level season with MVP Leonards play along with Popped doing some excellent scheming in the Game 1 asswiping of fraud Golden State.

Seriously, watch tape of Aldridge in that game after Kwa got Zaza'd.

/ thread he has nothing to add.

Leetonidas
09-15-2023, 04:10 PM
No thanks. We don't need LMA to teach Wemby how to sulk over muh touches

playblair
09-15-2023, 04:23 PM
he was supposed to take a coaching job with his alma mater this offseason but it never materialized

JPB
09-15-2023, 06:55 PM
Nothing against Muh in a vacuum, but his game was already outdated when he played in SA. So I'm not sure what he could bring to the youngsters, besides indeed complaining about your touches.

GAustex
09-15-2023, 06:59 PM
It’s obvious he ain’t that bright
That why he was a horrible passer

ginobilized
09-16-2023, 08:05 AM
Duncan hanging around the gym once in a while is probably more impactful than LMA being on staff full-time.

I doubt that LMA is part of the Spurs plan.

baseline bum
09-16-2023, 08:14 AM
I think back to that first practice where LaMarcus saw how hard Tim was pushing and asked him the hell he can do that, to which Tim said you have to if you want to keep playing at my age and LaMarcus' reaction was something like naw man I'm good. Don't want to see that attitude transferred to Victor.

John B
09-16-2023, 08:19 AM
No thanks. LaSoft couldn’t carry the team when it mattered and complained about touches. What kind of culture does he bring to the young core?

Dex
09-16-2023, 09:15 AM
Would probably teach Wemby to demand an iso just to shoot a contested 18 footer.

J_Paco
09-16-2023, 10:26 AM
People really shitting on LaMarcus cause how things ended in SA. Look, he was selfish at times and things ended 'poorly' but he had some of his best seasons in San Antonio.

He also played more of a stretch 5 role at the end of his career, which will likely be Wemby's fully formed game, IMO.

CGD
09-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Nah

exstatic
09-16-2023, 03:07 PM
People really shitting on LaMarcus cause how things ended in SA. Look, he was selfish at times and things ended 'poorly' but he had some of his best seasons in San Antonio.

He also played more of a stretch 5 role at the end of his career, which will likely be Wemby's fully formed game, IMO.

People shitting on LMA because he deserves it.

Frankly, Pop knows about his effort level, and would likely never hire him.

Dex
09-16-2023, 03:22 PM

Eh.

I was as hyped as anybody when the Spurs got LaMarcus, but that was also when he was supplementing our Big 3, Kawhi and our veteran crew.

He never lived up to the hype. Yes, we had some good years in '16 and '17, but when the going got tough he complained about his touches, he complained about his role, he hinted towards being traded, and ultimately he demanded a buyout so he could go chase a ring in Brooklyn (we saw how that worked out).

I followed LMA from his time in Texas all the way through the NBA. I have no hard feelings against him, and I know he had some heart issues that probably stifled his potential.

That said...I wouldn't even put him in the top 10 of Spurs despite being the biggest free agent the Spurs ever lured in. He has zero coaching experience, and I don't think he really has any wisdom to impart aside from just being in the NBA a long time.

RC_Drunkford
09-16-2023, 04:36 PM
99% of the people here hat LA, but his post game was unstoppable. I think he could teach Wemby quite a lot of moves

GAustex
09-16-2023, 04:45 PM
He sure did not know how to pass effectively out of a double team

J_Paco
09-16-2023, 05:38 PM
99% of the people here hat LA, but his post game was unstoppable. I think he could teach Wemby quite a lot of moves

Yeah, that's all I was saying and thinking LaMarcus could help Wemby with. He was one of the best post scoring big men ever, IMO, or at least amongst modern big guys.

He sure did not know how to pass effectively out of a double team

Completely true and valid criticism. He was a lot like Carmelo on offense and was never good at creating for his teammates. LOLOL

exstatic
09-16-2023, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that's all I was saying and thinking LaMarcus could help Wemby with. He was one of the best post scoring big men ever, IMO, or at least amongst modern big guys.

Completely true and valid criticism. He was a lot like Carmelo on offense and was never good at creating for his teammates. LOLOL

I think we have a guy who was pretty good at that, ready and on standby.

MultiTroll
09-16-2023, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's all I was saying and thinking LaMarcus could help Wemby with. He was one of the best regular season post scoring big men ever, IMO, or at least amongst modern big guys.
Milk carton playoffs.

As stated he has nothing to add that Timmy Dunks doesn't already add Xs Infinity.

Tyronn Lue
09-16-2023, 08:25 PM
It doesn't matter how good his game was. It only matters if he can mentor and coach. If he can, that's great. If not, him being a former Spur doesn't make him more qualified.

paperboy77
09-17-2023, 03:10 PM
Dudes just desperate. Hard pass.

paperboy77
09-17-2023, 03:17 PM

I agree with that if that's what they would use him for. Dude was unstoppable at times.

thiste
09-17-2023, 03:54 PM
That is one long... f-ing... summer...

RC_Drunkford
09-17-2023, 05:00 PM
I think we have a guy who was pretty good at that, ready and on standby.

Tim Duncan is not around the team all the time, rather occassionally. We are talking about LA being a full time player development coach. There's a difference

exstatic
09-17-2023, 05:24 PM
Tim Duncan is not around the team all the time, rather occassionally. We are talking about LA being a full time player development coach. There's a difference

I’d rather Tim when he’s in the building, which is likely more than you think, than Mah Touches full time.

KingKev
09-18-2023, 11:18 AM
Fuck no.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-19-2023, 03:07 PM
Fuck no.

:tu

Aldridge isn't one of our beloved HOF veterans. He certainly wasn't in the Instagram post having dinner with Wemby after the draft. His number 12 happily belongs to Bruce Bowen. His contributions in the NBA were to teams that underachieved in both Portland and San Antonio. There's really no reason to bring him in. If Wemby needs a big man mentor I'm sure Tim would spend a little time with him.

For all of his greatness he was largely irrelevant.

koriwhat
09-19-2023, 03:08 PM
I want Aldridge nowhere near our team! That dude was a soft pathetic vag while here.

TD 21
09-19-2023, 06:34 PM

He brought some of it on himself by complaining about essentially counting stats/accolades and mentioning "freedom" when he became Net, but I always thought he got a bad rap here because he wasn't Robinson or Duncan like in those respects (few are).

Let's face it, most veteran stars would have asked out 5 minutes after Scumbag pulled his stunt and while he didn't do it for altruistic reasons, he instead he authored the best stretch of his career in his late prime to tie the playoff streak that mattered to the franchise and keep them in the playoffs as they transitioned to DeRozan before decline set in.

I also think it'd be good to have a former star who didn't receive their NBA baptism by the Spurs affiliated with the franchise.

Ice009
09-19-2023, 11:25 PM
I also think it'd be good to have a former star who didn't receive their NBA baptism by the Spurs affiliated with the franchise.

What do you mean by that? Have someone that wasn't drafted by the Spurs?

taps
09-24-2023, 02:10 AM
StoneHands

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coDsQw_q1uU

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 02:37 PM
lol