PDA

View Full Version : Giannis or Luka

mudyez
09-15-2023, 11:52 PM
Not saying that one of the two things will happen but with all the Giannis talk, I wasn't sure, if I'd really take the better on court fit and timeline of Luka over the fantastic guy Giannis is.

mookie2001
09-16-2023, 12:26 AM
Giannis. Less of a ball hog

couchman
09-16-2023, 12:37 AM
It remains to be seen if a championship team can be built around Luka but it is the only way he can play.
Giannis doesn’t have to control the offense as much to have an impact.

JPB
09-16-2023, 06:45 AM
Giannis probably. Not necessarily for the best fit but for the mentaility and readiness to share responsabilites. Seems more spursy to me, while Luka is a high usage guy who could indeed need the team to be build around him. Less drama with Giannis too and Luka's durability due to bad life hygiene and emotivity could be a problem.

baseline bum
09-16-2023, 07:59 AM
Clearly Luka. Having a point guard with such gravity would open a ton of lobs and easy points for Victor and Victor's shotblocking would open up so many break opportunities for Doncic, as tantalizing as having another twin towers would be.

spursparker9
09-16-2023, 11:16 AM
Giannis by a slight margin.

mo7888
09-16-2023, 11:54 AM
It's a tough call... You could make strong arguments each way. I'll go Luka based on age being closer to Wembanyama.

R. DeMurre
09-16-2023, 01:43 PM
Close call. Giannis has the defensive advantages and probably better temperamental fit, but Luka has the age/timeline with Victor advantage. It'll be interesting to see if European players are drawn to teaming up in the future, considering all the chatter now about USA vs the rest of the globe in terms of talent. Two other guys I'd keep an eye on in that regard are Markkanen and F Wagner.

MultiTroll
09-16-2023, 02:56 PM
Wait until the end of this season to see if Greek Freak is a lesser version of Timmy Dunks or if we see if his gradual regression path.

exstatic
09-16-2023, 03:01 PM
I’d throw up in my mouth a little bit seeing Luka in silver and black. I guess I’d tolerate it if we were winning, but man, he’s such a bitch.

JPB
09-16-2023, 03:49 PM
I’d throw up in my mouth a little bit seeing Luka in silver and black. I guess I’d tolerate it if we were winning, but man, he’s such a bitch.

Tbh, I'm not sure he would allow himself to do it with Pop around and spurs overall environment.

heyheymymy
09-16-2023, 04:13 PM
Whoops didn't see the I want neither option but I'd prefer neither and if I had to pick one it'd be Giannis due to better work ethic and physical frame. Bet pop could work with that.

But both are non ideal for Spurs system imho

spurraider21
09-16-2023, 04:14 PM
Luka

MultiTroll
09-16-2023, 04:19 PM
Good thread.

Can i have access to both of their detailed medical and strenth and conditioning reports?

Concerned with Freaks past injurys.
Concerned with Lukas past and present donut consumption.

exstatic
09-16-2023, 05:04 PM
Tbh, I'm not sure he would allow himself to do it with Pop around and spurs overall environment.
When you’re that much of a drama queen, it’s not what you do, it’s who you are. I’m not sure it’s even something he chooses.

SupremeGuy
09-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Lulz Giannis and Wemby wouldn't even be fair

Tyronn Lue
09-16-2023, 08:19 PM
You take either given the option. No system has ever been better than the players.

MultiTroll
09-16-2023, 09:29 PM
Went with Freak.
With all the younger age advantages of Luka, who is to say what the future brings? Will it be donut eating Luka who gets seriously injured before Freak does?

Final reasoning is when Wemby and Freak combine for a Championship, all kinds of other good players are gonna want to get on board.
Get the Championship(s), let 5 years from now take care of itself.

poopbox
09-16-2023, 09:31 PM
I'll take the guy with a ring and not the guy who has his team in the lottery and his teammates and coaches cant wait to get away from him

MultiTroll
09-16-2023, 11:07 PM
I'll take the guy with a ring and not the guy who has his team in the lottery and his teammates and coaches cant wait to get away from him
Carlisle getting forced out was bogus.
But Jason Kidd sucks.
What teamates? If Luka doesn't carry the team they suck balls.
Finley and Hardaway are soft no D phaggots.

R. DeMurre
09-17-2023, 10:56 AM
The age difference between Wemby and Giannis would be smaller than the age difference between Duncan and Robinson, so the timeline isn't as tough as I originally thought... To be honest, getting a superstar to pair with Wemby is tougher than most think-- look at LeBron's first seven years in Cleveland and Doncic in Dallas now-- so it'd be hard for the Spurs would turn down any opportunity to get a top 15 player.

spurraider21
09-17-2023, 01:32 PM
The age difference between Wemby and Giannis would be smaller than the age difference between Duncan and Robinson, so the timeline isn't as tough as I originally thought... To be honest, getting a superstar to pair with Wemby is tougher than most think-- look at LeBron's first seven years in Cleveland and Doncic in Dallas now-- so it'd be hard for the Spurs would turn down any opportunity to get a top 15 player.
The duncan robinson window wasn’t that long tbh. Robinson was a role player by the end

Joseph Kony
09-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Luka is probably the right answer as the pairing fits better but he just seems like such a primadonna. Giannis kind of gives me Kawhi vibes though with the way he talks about the Bucks

Ocotillo
09-17-2023, 04:15 PM
Luka is probably the right answer as the pairing fits better but he just seems like such a primadonna. Giannis kind of gives me Kawhi vibes though with the way he talks about the Bucks By in large, he typically says the right stuff but he does definitely show some diva vibes.

John B
09-18-2023, 07:36 AM
Neither if it meant gutting the team. The Spurs are in great position with young bright talents, plus multiple potential lottery picks to add. The Spurs have really done a great job. IF things didn’t work up in 2-3 years, I’d take Luka. Much younger and fits Wemby and Co’s time better, granted he is serious on winning and also mean to leave the diva attitude behind.

itzsoweezee
09-19-2023, 12:32 AM
Imagine trying to defend both wemby and giannis? It’s not possible. And on the other end? That shit would be lights out

exstatic
09-19-2023, 04:31 AM
Neither if it meant gutting the team. The Spurs are in great position with young bright talents, plus multiple potential lottery picks to add. The Spurs have really done a great job. IF things didn’t work up in 2-3 years, I’d take Luka. Much younger and fits Wemby and Co’s time better, granted he is serious on winning and also mean to leave the diva attitude behind.

Most of our tradeable FRPs are in 24 or 25. This isn’t something you can delay.

John B
09-19-2023, 10:51 AM
Most of our tradeable FRPs are in 24 or 25. This isn’t something you can delay.

I like Luka, minus his diva attitude, but I like to see what Sochan, Vassell have developed during Summer. In Zach’s interview, he is convinced that the Spurs would be a playoff team if they improve their defense in top 15-20, primarily because he thinks they don’t have problem scoring. I suspect Devin’s been beasting it in those 6 mini-camps, including Wemby, Sochan and maybe Malaki and Champagnie. This team has a lot of offensive arsenals I think. Do we need Luka or Giannis, I think Wemby is not there yet to make that big splash. And when he is in 2-3 years, I think the rest have improved so much also that we don’t need a Luka or Giannis and their price tags.

exstatic
09-19-2023, 11:11 AM
I like Luka, minus his diva attitude, but I like to see what Sochan, Vassell have developed during Summer. In Zach’s interview, he is convinced that the Spurs would be a playoff team if they improve their defense in top 15-20, primarily because he thinks they don’t have problem scoring. I suspect Devin’s been beasting it in those 6 mini-camps, including Wemby, Sochan and maybe Malaki and Champagnie. This team has a lot of offensive arsenals I think. Do we need Luka or Giannis, I think Wemby is not there yet to make that big splash. And when he is in 2-3 years, I think the rest have improved so much also that we don’t need a Luka or Giannis and their price tags.

That's fine, but that's a different position, to say that we don't need one of them, as opposed to before when you said we should wait. My post was just saying we can't wait if we want one of them. Our assets are near term, not 3 years down the road.

poopbox
09-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Carlisle getting forced out was bogus.
But Jason Kidd sucks.
What teamates? If Luka doesn't carry the team they suck balls.
Finley and Hardaway are soft no D phaggots.

Brunson got away from him. Had a career year.
KP got away from him. Resurrected his career and now he on a championship caliber team.
Carlisle said he was taking time off and literally left his press conference and drove straight to Indiana to be their coach.
Mavs traded DFS and he wasn't exactly sad about it. Couldn't wait to get to the Nets.

Luka is a cancer loser who nobody wants to play with and nobody wants to coach. Hard pass on him. He'd have Wemby asking for a trade within a year or two.

cd98
09-19-2023, 04:18 PM
I love Luka as a plyer to watch, but it remains to be seen how well he can gel on a team with a ton of talent. Last year they added Kyrie and got worse. He may be another Allen Iverson, where the individual talent on offense is spectacular, but it doesn't afford to allow anyone else to have anything other than a passive role.

TD 21
09-19-2023, 06:10 PM
I'm surprised by the results. It's all moot though since neither will be a Spur.

The national media is already feverishly working to push their usual suspects (Warriors/Raptors/Lakers/Heat/Knicks) agenda to attempt to will Antetokounmpo to one of the aforementioned and his ego has seemingly gotten too big to not follow suit.

RC_Drunkford
09-21-2023, 10:11 AM
getting Giannis would be tough cause we'd most likely have to pick up his 2 brothers as well :lol0

JPB
09-21-2023, 05:46 PM
So, four people want neither of them.

Demanding, much?

ginobilized
09-21-2023, 06:00 PM
No reason to be dualistic, as if it is only one or the other.
The Spurs will add the right pieces at the right time. I doubt that either Luka or Giannis are ever Spurs.

I do bet that the team will start to reveal itself this season and by the following year, it should be clear what/who is needed.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs strike gold with another draft pick, too.

Giannis would be getting old an might lose a step by then. Still elite, tho, so I'd pick him.
Luka is always gonna be Luka, I'd guess.

spurraider21
09-21-2023, 06:06 PM
i'd much rather pair a 22 year old wemby with 27 year old Luka than 21 year old Wemby with 30 year old Giannis

wemby would be further along in his development and more likely to be "ready to win" and paired with a player who is getting into his prime that would make his life ridiculously easy on offense