PDA

View Full Version : Hield?

Knoxxx
09-23-2023, 01:38 PM
https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2719253

Sorry I’m not good at this on my phone especially.

https://theathletic.com/4883535/2023/09/20/buddy-hield-trade-pacers-talks/

i never noticed this guy once but I know he can shoot 3s at least.

No trade destinations indicated yet.

spurraider21
09-23-2023, 01:58 PM
Nah. Not giving up assets for him

Knoxxx
09-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Nah. Not giving up assets for him

Thank you I was waiting for the obligatory “hard pass” post, LOL.

exstatic
09-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Nope.

spurraider21
09-23-2023, 04:43 PM
Thank you I was waiting for the obligatory “hard pass” post, LOL.
Definitely hard pass on a guy that will cost assets to acquire, doesn’t really fit the timeline for a new contract, and probably walks in a year

if he was “free” as part of a consolidation trade I’d take him for sure. But that’s not the case

i don’t hate the player

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-23-2023, 05:23 PM
I'd take him

heyheymymy
09-23-2023, 06:25 PM
Only reason he's "available" is because he wasn't worth an extension for Indiana

jjspur
09-23-2023, 10:15 PM
I'd trade him for McNuggets and Birch which are close to the same salaries together. While I agree that Heild isn't worth an extension for Indiana, Birch & McNuggets probably won't be here beyond this upcoming season - especially Birch who will probably be waived soon enough. Just a suggestion that would help the spurs a tiny bit, but doubt Indiana would fall for this highway robbery. All these three players make more money than they probably deserve and I think that their respective teams are trying to get something - anything for them.

ismael-robert
09-24-2023, 01:30 AM
Doug way better than Hield...wait till Doug on floor with wemby...he'd often lead us in scoring with no one to free him up

JeffDuncan
09-24-2023, 02:37 AM
Hield has spent his career as a high volume 3pt shooter on bad teams. He was a starter on lousy Sacramento teams, then went to Indy in the Sabonis trade, and became a starter on a lousy Pacers team. Reportedly, the Pacers wouldn’t mind keeping him as a gunner off the bench, and paid appropriately. But Hield still wants a starting role and starter money.

As a bench gunner, McDermott has higher shooting averages than Hield from both 2pt and 3pt range. Also, McDermott is tall enough to be serviceable as a forward against bench units, but Hield is not. Hield will turn 31 this season, McDermott will turn 32. There’s no reason for the Spurs to have any interest in Hield over McDermott.

Knoxxx
09-24-2023, 11:35 AM
Yes but isn’t Hield a much better defender? Like 118 defensive rating last year?

John B
09-24-2023, 11:39 AM
Umm nope

exstatic
09-24-2023, 01:38 PM
Yes but isn’t Hield a much better defender? Like 118 defensive rating last year?

118 is bad. Yo want your oRtg high, and your dRtg low, just like a game score.

heyheymymy
09-24-2023, 02:42 PM
Great point about McDermott

Hield basically duplicates Doug's skillset at comparable age but with lower efficiency, but without the corporate knowledge, less discipline, at $21.1 instead of 13.7, and 6'4 instead of 6'7 so great point about Doug being able to play more versatile positionally speaking at the forward slots

Rather keep Doug and dump at the deadline for a 2RP or two.

It's a lot of work for a best case scenario lateral move if not net negative.

Plus Hield wants a starter role, who is telling Vassell to go to the bench? It's going to deplete development opportunities for Branham.

I'm sure Front Office will look at it for diligence but not sure they see anything enticing enough unless they have some specific ideas that Buddy somehow fits into.

Truckules
09-24-2023, 03:40 PM
Great point about McDermott

Hield basically duplicates Doug's skillset at comparable age but with lower efficiency, but without the corporate knowledge, less discipline, at $21.1 instead of 13.7, and 6'4 instead of 6'7 so great point about Doug being able to play more versatile positionally speaking at the forward slots

Rather keep Doug and dump at the deadline for a 2RP or two.

It's a lot of work for a best case scenario lateral move if not net negative.

Plus Hield wants a starter role, who is telling Vassell to go to the bench? It's going to deplete development opportunities for Branham.

I'm sure Front Office will look at it for diligence but not sure they see anything enticing enough unless they have some specific ideas that Buddy somehow fits into.

Hield was more efficient than McDermott last year (.614 TS% vs .590) and that was as a starter and with significantly higher volume (1038 FGA vs 523). He has significantly more off the dribble ability than McDermott too. If all it took to get him was McDermott and filler, the Spurs would be dumb to not make that trade. I see it as a significant upgrade.

Having said that, I do agree that he wouldn't have a starting role since the Spurs have so much other talent that they want to develop. He'd almost certainly be leaving after this year so you'd want to flip him at the deadline anyways.

heyheymymy
09-24-2023, 05:08 PM
Compelling points, Truck thanks for the data

Not surprised on the volume disparity. Think Buddy had a larger role than Doug.

I do agree Doug is more of a one trick pony whereas Buddy brings a bit more offensive tools to the game. Bet that could intrigue the Spurs possibly.

Also wonder if Graham would be the outbound piece instead of Doug (with Birch hopefully). 12MM vs 13.7MM

Upgrading Graham with Buddy bolsters the guard corps which is admittedly scant but do you lose already precious few ballhandlers in the process?

Just thinking out loud for the sake of discussion here nothing locked in and for the record I don't think Buddy would be something the Spurs would typically like but if they see an application they may go for it and there is a few different ways to look at it.

Think SA would look at Buddy's personality compared to what they have as a huge factor in the decision.

heyheymymy
09-24-2023, 05:17 PM
It is interesting that Buddy is an expiring so if you liked what he brings and you dealt Doug or Graham as part of the package, then you are still flipping a piece at deadline.

Just a matter of if you think Buddy could bring back better assets than a Doug or Graham plus be a net equal or better presence in the meantime.

That aspect makes me slightly more curious if there's anything to this than normally would be.

But this is likely nothing to happen since SA is pretty protective of the locker room vibe and Buddy doesn't seem sterling enough behaviorally nor enough of an on the court upgrade to jeopardize with personnel changes.

scott
09-24-2023, 07:11 PM
Hield is a much better player than Doug, but Doug fits our team better.

rankingtear
09-24-2023, 07:33 PM
Contract year Hield is a nightmare.

spurraider21
09-24-2023, 08:05 PM
Hield is better than McDermott lol. But i wouldn’t be lining up to move assets for Doug either