PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Should the "bubble" game results get their own category in the history books?

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-25-2023, 11:54 AM
Technically the bubble games were the oddest of anomalies for pro basketball. Players were separated from their families and "forced" to participate in glorified scrimmages in front of no live fans. The atmosphere, the environment, and overall format were so atypical of what you would find in a real basketball game, that these exhibitions can hardly be compared to actual games. Many players didn't want to be there and literally went through the motions. It was a "made for TV" event that benefited no one except the league in order to sell advertising. Fans were robbed, the players were robbed, and in the end, even the teams that performed well know it really didn't count for much.

Should the league scratch those games from the statistical records, or maybe just categorize them as "off the books" achievements, similar to how ABA players stats don't get included in their overall totals, but are tabulated separately? Maybe even equate them to preseason type matches, or recognize the COVID games historically as its own tournament (similar to the in-season tournament) that really doesn't warrant an LOB trophy, but rather the "Bubble" trophy?

Thread
09-26-2023, 06:05 AM
Technically the bubble games were the oddest of anomalies for pro basketball. Players were separated from their families and "forced" to participate in glorified scrimmages in front of no live fans. The atmosphere, the environment, and overall format were so atypical of what you would find in a real basketball game, that these exhibitions can hardly be compared to actual games. Many players didn't want to be there and literally went through the motions. It was a "made for TV" event that benefited no one except the league in order to sell advertising. Fans were robbed, the players were robbed, and in the end, even the teams that performed well know it really didn't count for much.

Should the league scratch those games from the statistical records, or maybe just categorize them as "off the books" achievements, similar to how ABA players stats don't get included in their overall totals, but are tabulated separately? Maybe even equate them to preseason type matches, or recognize the COVID games historically as its own tournament (similar to the in-season tournament) that really doesn't warrant an LOB trophy, but rather the "Bubble" trophy?

Ed, qualifying NBA World Titles is beneath contempt.

This is a (must) system...and thus you quantify these events, exclusively. You tote them and enter them in the book. There is a running count because that is the way it was done at the first. & we ain't changin', not for all the rice in China. We started this-a-way and we're gonna go on to the end like this. And that's just the way it's gonna be.

Sometimes it works out/my '85. Sometimes it's a total fucking disaster/my '84 & your Miami foray.

Let us proceed...

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-26-2023, 03:00 PM
Ed, qualifying NBA World Titles is beneath contempt.

This is a (must) system...and thus you quantify these events, exclusively. You tote them and enter them in the book. There is a running count because that is the way it was done at the first. & we ain't changin', not for all the rice in China. We started this-a-way and we're gonna go on to the end like this. And that's just the way it's gonna be.

Sometimes it works out/my '85. Sometimes it's a total fucking disaster/my '84 & your Miami foray.

Let us proceed...

I suppose you're right. History already largely ignores the bubble games. It's still a travesty, though, that they even went through the motions that year. I think the league lost some fans for how all of that was handled. I'm too much a fan of consistency I guess. Heck, if I had it my way there might not be a three-point line, as the game has been morphed into a long-range shooting contest because of that stripe.

As a lifelong baseball fan I still consider Hank Aaron to be the home run king, because of Barry Bonds and the steroid era tainting the record books. Some achievements are a sham when you look back at them, hollow and incomparable because of their huge departure from traditional competition, and the bubble games in basketball fit in that category.

But someone had to win I suppose. Probably not the worst thing for LA to have won that one as they just threw the trophy on the pile, notched the belt, and moved on. I'd hate to have seen it go to a never-won as the only LOB in the case.

MultiTroll
09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Their own category would be fine Ed.
Most appropriate.

1st - Davis missteps a euro, hits Jokic in the shoulder - foul
2nd - Caruso with a slip/flop drop - foul
3rd - this one makes sense, but still looks soft
4th - little contact, Dwight flops - foul
5th - Davis throws himself on Jokic - foul

Hank Scorpio
09-27-2023, 04:06 AM
Should have made this a poll, smh

Kim Jong-il
09-27-2023, 08:41 AM
It absolutely deserves an asterisk of some kind. The team that, by a mile, stood the most to gain from never having to travel and receiving extra recovery time ended up being the team that won it all? What a shock!

lefty
09-27-2023, 09:01 AM
Al teams played under the same conditions
Fuck the Lakers, but the bubble excuse is BS

Thread
09-27-2023, 11:38 AM
Their own category would be fine Ed.
Most appropriate.

1st - Davis missteps a euro, hits Jokic in the shoulder - foul
2nd - Caruso with a slip/flop drop - foul
3rd - this one makes sense, but still looks soft
4th - little contact, Dwight flops - foul
5th - Davis throws himself on Jokic - foul

Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.

Thread
09-27-2023, 11:39 AM

lefty

Thread
09-27-2023, 11:40 AM
It absolutely deserves an asterisk of some kind. The team that, by a mile, stood the most to gain from never having to travel and receiving extra recovery time ended up being the team that won it all? What a shock!

Only pussies & assholes lodge asterisks.

Kim Jong-il
09-27-2023, 06:29 PM
Shut up, faggot.

baseline bum
09-27-2023, 07:34 PM

Like the one you lodge on Joseph Robinette for stomping Dennison in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Georgia, and Nevada?

ambchang
09-27-2023, 08:53 PM

Like how the PotUS Joe Biden stole the election?

Thread
09-27-2023, 09:36 PM
Like how the PotUS Joe Biden stole the election?

The Left stole them both, amb. But that's democracy.

America has nary a thing on Russia. Nary.

Thread
09-27-2023, 09:36 PM
Like the one you lodge on Joseph Robinette for stomping Dennison in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Georgia, and Nevada?

I don't lodge asterisks, ever. It's my religion.

Thread
09-27-2023, 09:38 PM
Shut up, faggot.

You go to all that trouble, expense and humiliation to rob, then lynch Sterling in the street and you've done nary better. Nary.

baseline bum
09-27-2023, 09:47 PM

You're a pussy and an asshole. It's your religion.

Thread
09-27-2023, 09:53 PM
You're a pussy and an asshole. It's your religion.

You've been on the rag for years, bum.

Tyronn Lue
09-27-2023, 10:19 PM
If you suited up for that game and you lost, you lost. I'm confident the players and coaches on all teams knew going in what the deal was, yet in they went.

Thread
09-27-2023, 11:15 PM
If you suited up for that game and you lost, you lost. I'm confident the players and coaches on all teams knew going in what the deal was, yet in they went.

& you, you SOB. Slinkin' around me, portending to be my buddy and then come to find out you're a rat, tattlin' to the Sysop. "Dale this. Dale that."

You make me want to vomit. You vermin, you.

ambchang
09-28-2023, 08:07 AM
The Left stole them both, amb. But that's democracy.

America has nary a thing on Russia. Nary.

Yup, lodge that asterisk!

Thread
09-28-2023, 10:57 AM
Yup, lodge that asterisk!

ambchang
09-28-2023, 06:03 PM

So stealing an election is just like all other elections?

Thread
09-28-2023, 07:58 PM
So stealing an election is just like all other elections?

What's that got to do with the price of eggs.

Tyronn Lue
09-28-2023, 08:06 PM
& you, you SOB. Slinkin' around me, portending to be my buddy and then come to find out you're a rat, tattlin' to the Sysop. "Dale this. Dale that."

You make me want to vomit. You vermin, you.
Never said anything to anyone.

Thread
09-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Never said anything to anyone.

That ain't what you told me a fortnight ago, Lue. But I'm gonna let you offin' the hook. Don't ever do that again, Lue. Ever.

Tyronn Lue
09-28-2023, 08:17 PM
That ain't what you told me a fortnight ago, Lue. But I'm gonna let you offin' the hook. Don't ever do that again, Lue. Ever.
I have no idea what you're speaking on here.

Thread
09-28-2023, 08:31 PM

If that's what you need, Lue, so be it. This is a grudge that I've forgiven and will no longer hold.

ambchang
09-29-2023, 06:17 AM
What's that got to do with the price of eggs.

That’s the definition of lodging asterisks. To note something being different from the norm.

Thread
09-29-2023, 11:41 AM
That’s the definition of lodging asterisks. To note something being different from the norm.

Regardless, I don't do asterisks, ever. It's my religion.

Tyronn Lue
09-29-2023, 10:06 PM
If that's what you need, Lue, so be it. This is a grudge that I've forgiven and will no longer hold.
:lol this is silly, you made up a reason to be upset then made up a reason to not be.

Thread
09-29-2023, 11:43 PM
:lol this is silly, you made up a reason to be upset then made up a reason to not be.

You're forgiven, Lue.

ambchang
09-30-2023, 05:30 AM
Regardless, I don't do asterisks, ever. It's my religion.

But you do it and call it something else.

Thread
09-30-2023, 07:36 AM
But you do it and call it something else.

No, I'm pure on this point, while you, amb, are not because you couldn't/can't stand the gaffe when the Lakers win the last game of a June. Now you want to lump me in with your poor choice.

Uh, uh. Nope.

Let us proceed...

MultiTroll
09-30-2023, 10:10 PM

Do Parrots Lay Eggs? (When, How Do Parrots Lay Eggs) - Birds News (https://birdsnews.com/do-parrots-lay-eggs/)

ambchang
10-01-2023, 05:49 AM
No, I'm pure on this point, while you, amb, are not because you couldn't/can't stand the gaffe when the Lakers win the last game of a June. Now you want to lump me in with your poor choice.

Uh, uh. Nope.

Let us proceed...
I wasn’t taking about the lakers. I’m talking about the definition of asterisks. Shit by any other name would smell just as bad.

Thread
10-01-2023, 08:35 AM
I wasn’t taking about the lakers. I’m talking about the definition of asterisks. Shit by any other name would smell just as bad.

I am because that is where you fucked up. When you'd win I'd take a fuckin gigantic fit, show my ass, but I'd take the fuckin' thing, tote it, and lodge it pure and legal, boy! Not you; you's come out, no fit, no ass, but you wouldn't tote it. Not for all the rice in China. You'd discount it, process it and lodge the asterisk to it for all your buddies to see. Then put your nose in the air and walk away from Dale.

ambchang
10-01-2023, 09:56 PM
I am because that is where you fucked up. When you'd win I'd take a fuckin gigantic fit, show my ass, but I'd take the fuckin' thing, tote it, and lodge it pure and legal, boy! Not you; you's come out, no fit, no ass, but you wouldn't tote it. Not for all the rice in China. You'd discount it, process it and lodge the asterisk to it for all your buddies to see. Then put your nose in the air and walk away from Dale.

Would be interested to see you take it. When did that happen last time? 67 years ago?

Thread
10-02-2023, 12:13 AM
Would be interested to see you take it. When did that happen last time? 67 years ago?

No, that one you lodged immediately after the Miami debacle. I had nary other choice. Nary. Ever. It's my religion. I didn't like it, not one bit, but I toted it and lodged it, broad daylight. Not you guys; you guys fell over one another in order to hang the asterisk on the LeBron one.

You're like the Phoenix fans, amb. They too lodge asterisk, one on cursed Vogel. Called him everything but a White man when he rang down in Florida. Hung the asterisk around his neck. Then they hired him. tee, hee. Now? Greatest coach in NBA History, lifted that asterisk like Billy be jiggered, toted the LeBron ring and recognized it as (17) on-the-spot. What'd they do to me? Put me on their Ignore List. Couldn't face me.

ambchang
10-02-2023, 04:35 AM
No, that one you lodged immediately after the Miami debacle. I had nary other choice. Nary. Ever. It's my religion. I didn't like it, not one bit, but I toted it and lodged it, broad daylight. Not you guys; you guys fell over one another in order to hang the asterisk on the LeBron one.

You're like the Phoenix fans, amb. They too lodge asterisk, one on cursed Vogel. Called him everything but a White man when he rang down in Florida. Hung the asterisk around his neck. Then they hired him. tee, hee. Now? Greatest coach in NBA History, lifted that asterisk like Billy be jiggered, toted the LeBron ring and recognized it as (17) on-the-spot. What'd they do to me? Put me on their Ignore List. Couldn't face me.

And you continuously talk about 6. Non stop for a decade now.

You asterisk up the election and called it something else. You asterisk up 14 by lodging 13 constantly. You just don’t call it an asterisk but it’s the same.

You lodged. Period.

Thread
10-02-2023, 07:39 AM
And you continuously talk about 6. Non stop for a decade now.

You asterisk up the election and called it something else. You asterisk up 14 by lodging 13 constantly. You just don’t call it an asterisk but it’s the same.

You lodged. Period.

Speak for yourself, amb. I've never lodged an asterisk in my life, ever. It's my religion.

I toted your rings and lodged each in the broad daylight. I had no other choice. It was my religion, my salvation, my deliverance for when I'd ring and you all would come round with your asterisks. That way I won again. I got the actual ring and your asterisk. I'm righteous.

Again I cite these Suns fans now. They lodged one asterisk after another when the Lakers made the triple at century's turn and then Kobe's double..."Oh, it's a monster team. Oh, it's a Super Team. Oh, it's not fair. Oh, I'm glad the Suns have never and will never built a Super Team. We'll do it the honest way and then we can proud and not shamed. Oh."

What happens? Silver takes Sarver out into the street (Sterling style) and lynches him. The Detroit Hit Man comes down from Detroit. (Won't live here) and builds a Super Team on the spot...goes back North. "Oh, it's okay. Oh."

What'd they do to me when I dunned 'em? tee, hee. Put old Dale on their Ignore List.

ambchang
10-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Speak for yourself, amb. I've never lodged an asterisk in my life, ever. It's my religion.

I toted your rings and lodged each in the broad daylight. I had no other choice. It was my religion, my salvation, my deliverance for when I'd ring and you all would come round with your asterisks. That way I won again. I got the actual ring and your asterisk. I'm righteous.

Again I cite these Suns fans now. They lodged one asterisk after another when the Lakers made the triple at century's turn and then Kobe's double..."Oh, it's a monster team. Oh, it's a Super Team. Oh, it's not fair. Oh, I'm glad the Suns have never and will never built a Super Team. We'll do it the honest way and then we can proud and not shamed. Oh."

What happens? Silver takes Sarver out into the street (Sterling style) and lynches him. The Detroit Hit Man comes down from Detroit. (Won't live here) and builds a Super Team on the spot...goes back North. "Oh, it's okay. Oh."

What'd they do to me when I dunned 'em? tee, hee. Put old Dale on their Ignore List.

And it goes back to , did Biden win if fair and square?

Thread
10-03-2023, 07:45 AM
And it goes back to , did Biden win if fair and square?

I'll chose the time, place and inquisitor when I decide to take an exam.

ambchang
10-03-2023, 11:44 AM

Yup, just as I thought, never takes it.

Thread
10-03-2023, 01:18 PM
Yup, just as I thought, never takes it.

Killakobe81
10-04-2023, 01:51 PM

This.
But people forget how starved we were for sports movies entertainment during Covid …
Yes it wasn’t the nba I grew up on but I was grateful for it