PDA

View Full Version : Anyone betting on the Spurs?

SpurSpike
10-09-2023, 11:17 AM
I have never placed a sports bet in my life but I am considering it this year as it seems like a unique year to take a chance on some big payouts. Is anyone here placing any bets on the Spurs this year?

Looks like a possibly fun year to bet on the Spurs as many sites predict us to suck but we where intentionally tanking last year and we wont be this year. That's got to be worth 5-10 wins alone and then add Victor and another year of experience for our young team and its not out of the question that adds another 5 or so.

Currently the betting odds are +750 on draftkings for the Spurs to win 40+ regular season games. Was thinking of betting $200 for a chance at a $1500 payout (if i understand the odds correctly?) for the spurs to be at or slightly under .500 this year. which i think is not completely out of line.

Anyone else considering a bet on the Spurs this year? Looks like you can bet on many things Wemby related as well. If so what bets are you considering?

jhfenton
10-09-2023, 11:21 AM
I placed two small bets—my first ever—on the Spurs to win 30+ and 40+ a couple of months ago. I lose if they win 29 or fewer. The bets offset, and I break even if they win 30-39. I win both bets at 40 or more. I don't remember the exact odds, and I can't get on to check right now.

Last time I looked the odds had gotten a little better since I placed mine.

scott
10-09-2023, 01:29 PM
I would hammer the over of 28.5 wins pretty hard if I had any Vegas trips lined up, or lived in a state where DK wasn't banned :lol. Alas, I do not.

Cry Havoc
10-09-2023, 02:38 PM
I have never placed a sports bet in my life but I am considering it this year as it seems like a unique year to take a chance on some big payouts. Is anyone here placing any bets on the Spurs this year?

Looks like a possibly fun year to bet on the Spurs as many sites predict us to suck but we where intentionally tanking last year and we wont be this year. That's got to be worth 5-10 wins alone and then add Victor and another year of experience for our young team and its not out of the question that adds another 5 or so.

Currently the betting odds are +750 on draftkings for the Spurs to win 40+ regular season games. Was thinking of betting $200 for a chance at a $1500 payout (if i understand the odds correctly?) for the spurs to be at or slightly under .500 this year. which i think is not completely out of line.

Anyone else considering a bet on the Spurs this year? Looks like you can bet on many things Wemby related as well. If so what bets are you considering?

I mean just looking at our lineup from last year you can see this team was probably going to win close to 30 games. That's before we add the most hyped player in NBA history outside of one LeBron James.

As a lower bound I think Wemby is worth 6 wins. He's going to be a transformative player simply from his presence on the court and the added depth he gives us (a new starter means your bench gets a shot in the arm, usually, as players shift around).

As a higher bound I could see the Spurs getting close to .500 this year. I think a 38-46 record is probably a realistic expectation. It would be one thing if we were an aging core of vets past their peak, but that's not this team at all. It's a bunch of young hungry players who, while maybe not overflowing with ALL-NBA talent, have some really good traits that should pair well together with Wemby. This is going to be a pass-heavy offense as the ball flows from Wemby to Sochan to Jones and they're going to find openings in teams, especially those that aren't rotating well defensively.

When you consider how much air Wemby is going to occupy on the court and how much attention other teams will be forced to give him, he should give a lot of players incredible opportunities to knock down open Js and get open drives to the lane.

Jones is obviously a bit of a concern, and Collins isn't going to dominate any awards presentations, but it's a surprisingly deep, young team and when our shots are falling we're going to be capable of blowing out bad squads and hanging with the good ones.

On defense, Wemby's length and speed should give us a lot of switching flexibility and incredible help side defense. I look for teams to really target Collins in the PnR, but they can only run that so many times in a game. Vassell is going to feast with a world-class defensive big behind him and I expect KJ will be better on D this season as well as he doesn't have to shoulder all of the scoring load.

We're obviously going to have a lot of games where things just don't gel and we end up subbing Wemby out with 12 minutes+ left, but man, there is a lot of potential on the table right now without even making another move or trade. And given our glut of picks, we could definitely jump into a big trade and put a young proven gun in the lineup (hopefully at PG?), to put this team into contention sooner rather than later.

Spursfanfromafar
10-09-2023, 02:51 PM
I have far fewer expectations of the Spurs relative to other years. For one, the squad is still inexperienced and is in the developmental stage. I think they may end up with 28-30 wins.

GAustex
10-09-2023, 03:01 PM
The bettor I know who is pretty deep into Vegas/analytics is taking the under

Mr. Body
10-09-2023, 03:07 PM
The bettor I know who is pretty deep into Vegas/analytics is taking the under

Let us know how much money they lose.

SpurSpike
10-09-2023, 03:15 PM
Spurs had 34 wins in the 21-22 season with Dejounte as our star player and Bryn Forbes in the backcourt... This team has got to be at least as good or better, right?

GAustex
10-09-2023, 03:33 PM

30 was the number and this fellow ain’t scared

I don’t bet except on myself

Mr. Body
10-09-2023, 03:47 PM
30 was the number and this fellow ain’t scared

I don’t bet except on myself

Anyone who is like you describe is either a bookie and making money that way or has lost their shirt and owes all kinds of money. Taking the under at 30 is pretty stupid, so I'm guessing later. "Analytics" of Vegas sports lines. Lol.

spurraider21
10-09-2023, 03:55 PM
this just in. fan of team thinks they'll hit the over.

more at 11

Joseph Kony
10-09-2023, 03:58 PM
i wish i could find last years thread. plenty of the same people thought we were winning 34+ games and competing for the play in :lol

spurraider21
10-09-2023, 04:01 PM
i wish i could find last years thread. plenty of the same people thought we were winning 34+ games and competing for the play in :lol
dont forget that last year's team was actually secretly very good and they just hid their power level all season. the 5-2 start was the real team

Joseph Kony
10-09-2023, 04:04 PM
dont forget that last year's team was actually secretly very good and they just hid their power level all season. the 5-2 start was the real team

:lol always have to chuckle at the "the spurs were actually good to start the season!" takes as if a 7 fucking game sample in the first month of the season means shit. nevermind that they got demolished in the very first game against a trash level team on our own floor

spurraider21
10-09-2023, 04:07 PM
:lol always have to chuckle at the "the spurs were actually good to start the season!" takes as if a 7 fucking game sample in the first month of the season means shit. nevermind that they got demolished in the very first game against a trash level team on our own floor
its not even that i dont think the spurs cant hit the over. they absolutely can. if you put a gun to my head and asked to me place a wager, i'd probably lean over just because id assume better health from vassell and i think even a rookie wemby trying to find his footing, will be a net positive

but the brash confidence... saying its outright stupid to bet the under, i find funny. like mentioning the under invokes just, utter disgust

Joseph Kony
10-09-2023, 04:27 PM
its not even that i dont think the spurs cant hit the over. they absolutely can. if you put a gun to my head and asked to me place a wager, i'd probably lean over just because id assume better health from vassell and i think even a rookie wemby trying to find his footing, will be a net positive

but the brash confidence... saying its outright stupid to bet the over, i find funny. like mentioning the under invokes just, utter disgust

I agree that it's possible but extremely unlikely and a number of things would have to go right. i'm probably being overly pessimistic in general to temper my expectations but for the Spurs to win 30+ games it means Victor is highly impactful from day one, everyone takes a step, and Spurs are relatively healthy. those are big ifs at this point and i dont see all of them happening. As much as i'd love to be wrong, I don't see Victor being an iron man and playing 65+ games

scott
10-09-2023, 04:45 PM
Though it doesn't seem like a huge difference, I'm probably out if the O/U is set at 30. But at 28.5, I'm in on the over.

I say this, however, with the caveat that I don't gamble with more money than I can afford to lose and not really worry about it - so my conviction kind of rings hallow if I'm not ACTUALLY willing to put significant money at risk.

playbonner15
10-09-2023, 10:48 PM
nah they gotta suck this year. Gunning for another higher pick at next draft to add to core

Mr. Body
10-09-2023, 10:57 PM
You'd have to be stupid to take the under at 30.

GAustex
10-10-2023, 12:09 AM
Maybe so
But it looked bad for the unders last year too
Until it didn’t

rascal
10-10-2023, 08:54 AM

5-2 is a .714 win %.

So you think the Spurs were the best team in the league last year because the best team Milwaukee finished with a .707 win %

baseline bum
10-10-2023, 08:59 AM
5-2 is a .714 win %.

So you think the Spurs were the best team in the league last year because the best team Milwaukee finished with a .707 win %

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

rascal
10-10-2023, 09:03 AM

Not really. 30 is about right +- two games on either side

The Spurs are not going all out trying to win hard this year. They did little to improve the talent level of last year's team other than getting Wemby in the draft. They even said they are managing Wemby's minutes and using this year as an experimental year to see what they have. And they want to be patient in the rebuild. Any significant injury to Wemby, Sochan, Vassell, Jones or Keldon and the under is the better play. Spurs don't have a deep bench.

There is a good chance they pull Wemby if he's banged up towards the end of the year and tank to get a top draft pick and next year go all in trying to win hard.

Russ
10-10-2023, 12:35 PM
During the SL in Vegas I placed a wager on the Spurs to win the NBA title.

I bet $10 to win $2,500.

(If they somehow make the NBA Finals I'll be hedging like crazy.)

Brazil
10-11-2023, 07:48 AM
smh... never place a bet on a team you root for

Davidicus
10-11-2023, 08:39 AM
I put 4hundo on 40+. GSG.

objective
10-11-2023, 06:03 PM
I've heard 4 podcasts doing over/under picks and every guest and host picked the Spurs under.

I like them over if it's 28.5 but what do I know

Uriel
10-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Assuming the team stays reasonably healthy and doesn't purposefully try to lose games, it will win more than 28.5 games. This is one of the easiest arbitrage opportunities in the history of sports.

Cabrito
10-12-2023, 02:36 PM
I bet the over ($100) on 29.5 season wins with a payout of +120. The payout for the under is at -149. Las Vegas is daring people to bet the over.

Mr. Body
10-12-2023, 02:52 PM
I bet the over ($100) on 29.5 season wins with a payout of +120. The payout for the under is at -149. Las Vegas is daring people to bet the over.

Vegas and ESPN with the two step.

objective
10-15-2023, 12:07 AM
If some people are thinking they could get 40+ wins ...

Then maybe it might be a fun gamble to bet that they win the division

Looking at the FanDuel odds, they're +1060 to make the playoffs

But they are +8000 to win the Southwest

If they're making the playoffs, their chances of being division winners aren't that bad. Dallas could implode with Kyrie if he does Kyrie things. Memphis has to deal the Morant drama. New Orleans needs Zion and company to stay healthy. Houston is Houston.

Things breaking their way and getting the division could happen. Remote chance, but the Southwest has the best chance of being a cupcake division. Pacific is brutal with 5 teams thinking they're in the playoffs. Northwest isn't a cakewalk either with Denver, Minnesota and OKC.

Longshot so it's going to lose but the division might melt down enough on it's own to give SA a chance

Raven
10-15-2023, 03:54 AM
i'm not sure you understand the concept of return on investment... a bet like that is literally not worth your time, that is if you win.

Raven
10-15-2023, 03:56 AM
Assuming the team stays reasonably healthy and doesn't purposefully try to lose games, it will win more than 28.5 games. This is one of the easiest arbitrage opportunities in the history of sports.

true, except betting sites and journalists will have a better chance to know if those assumptions will hold true.

JPB
10-15-2023, 07:54 AM
I've heard 4 podcasts doing over/under picks and every guest and host picked the Spurs under.

I like them over if it's 28.5 but what do I know

Many people around the NBA are annoyed by the Wemby hype and bitter the spurs got him. Just like you shouldn't bet on a team you like, you shouldn't bet on a team or a player you hate... Add Wemby to these guys fave team and they have another speech.

That 28.5 mark was also set before Wemby's 2 PS games. Wouldn't be surprised they correct it soon.

hater
10-15-2023, 02:15 PM
smh... never place a bet on a team you root for

Thanks for the tip :tu

Just bet my mortgage on Rockets to win it all :tu

spurraider21
10-23-2023, 12:39 PM
with wemby looking as good as he has, im surprised the o/u line hasnt move a bit

objective
10-23-2023, 02:55 PM
More podcasts been doing their over under and I still haven't heard someone take the Spurs over

Mugen
10-23-2023, 03:05 PM
Have them at +5000 to win the division tbh :lol

Mr. Body
10-23-2023, 03:18 PM
Where do you go to bet?

objective
10-23-2023, 03:41 PM
Have them at +5000 to win the division tbh :lol

Fanduel at +8000 for the division fwiw

Mugen
10-23-2023, 03:44 PM
Fanduel at +8000 for the division fwiw

:lol Yeah saw that, damnit

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2023, 03:47 PM
this is a free money giveaway at this point tbh

The Truth #6
10-24-2023, 10:11 PM
I'm just throwing random numbers around here but if Wemby plays 65 games and we win just under 50% of those games and 33% of the games without Wemby I'm guesstimating a win number of around 36.

MultiTroll
10-25-2023, 09:37 AM
Loaded up big on Victor.
Points 18
Boards 7
Treys 2
3Xs odds on Double Double

Vassell 17 points

Spurs for game +4.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 02:45 PM
I bet on them making the playoffs but man that divisional win looks juicy considering how mid it is.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 05:12 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

spurraider21
11-14-2023, 09:21 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/VFYJXIuuFl6pO/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fnxyaeyki0qb4g1ln2ydlp7omwdq 3fyzv8nx9bff&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

MultiTroll
11-14-2023, 10:30 PM
Thought 30 wins sounded good after seeing Wemby in SL.

Seriously thought ownership and FO would make Popped coach to win and not continue his ego trip Me Me Me.

Wrong.

Now, might as well start putting dough down on Spurs opponent by the night.
We're out coached every single game.

scott
11-14-2023, 10:33 PM
Definitely glad betting is not legal in my state

InRareForm
11-14-2023, 10:41 PM
:lol

Spurs are 3-8 against the spread

playbonner15
11-14-2023, 10:52 PM
nah they gotta suck this year
:drunk

rascal
11-16-2023, 03:46 PM
I put 4hundo on 40+. GSG.

This is not looking good.

SAGirl
11-16-2023, 07:29 PM
As a lower bound I think Wemby is worth 6 wins. He's going to be a transformative player simply from his presence on the court and the added depth he gives us (a new starter means your bench gets a shot in the arm, usually, as players shift around).

. . . .
Except if Pop is the coach apparently. He can find a way to make things worse. Some say it’s on purpose and the thought has crossed my mind too, but I think a second intentional tankathon isn’t it.

SAGirl
11-16-2023, 07:31 PM
I have far fewer expectations of the Spurs relative to other years. For one, the squad is still inexperienced and is in the developmental stage. I think they may end up with 28-30 wins.
^
Realistic man right here.

SAGirl
11-16-2023, 07:43 PM
I don’t bet and I am so glad that I don’t. I tend to be too optimistic with teams I like which is why Brazil’s advice is the best. Never bet on a team you root for.

Also the few reports about bettings connoisseurs taking the under kind of makes me think Spurs are about what everyone who can evaluate them objectively thought they would be.

Cry Havoc
11-16-2023, 09:09 PM
Except if Pop is the coach apparently. He can find a way to make things worse. Some say it’s on purpose and the thought has crossed my mind too, but I think a second intentional tankathon isn’t it.

It's pretty clear they're prioritizing developing Wemby rather than winning games. Pop would be clamping down on his green light to handle the ball so much otherwise.

MultiTroll
11-17-2023, 12:05 AM
It's pretty clear they're prioritizing developing Wemby rather than winning games. Pop would be clamping down on his green light to handle the ball so much otherwise.
Ya that explains why they make such an effort to run plays for him and Vassell and Chucking KJ keep Wemby so involved.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 12:15 AM
Ya that explains why they make such an effort to run plays for him and Vassell and Chucking KJ keep Wemby so involved.

Wemby's PPG rank among all NBA rookies: 1.

Wemby's USG% rate among all NBA rookies: 1.

Wemby's MPG rank among all NBA rookies: 2.

Wemby's FGA rank among all NBA rookies: 1. (176, 2nd place is Ausar Thompson at 132)

I realize most of your brain cells have long left your person, but this is a yikes moment even for you, MT. And that, given your history of posts on SpursTalk, is saying something.

MultiTroll
11-17-2023, 12:29 AM
Wemby's PPG rank among all NBA rookies: 1.

Wemby's USG% rate among all NBA rookies: 1.

Wemby's MPG rank among all NBA rookies: 2.

Wemby's FGA rank among all NBA rookies: 1. (176, 2nd place is Ausar Thompson at 132)

I realize most of your brain cells have long left your person, but this is a yikes moment even for you, MT. And that, given your history of posts on SpursTalk, is saying something.
Watch a game numb nutts.

His scoring is because that is how good he is.
Scoring in spite of Pops brain dead lack of ball sharing.

Try to keep up.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 01:04 AM
Watch a game numb nutts.

His scoring is because that is how good he is.
Scoring in spite of Pops brain dead lack of ball sharing.

Try to keep up.

Literally 0 evidence to back up your claims. When confirmation bias is the best you can do, your argument is worth absolutely nothing, fucking idiot. :lol

:cry Please watch a game and agree with me every fucking stat says otherwise and I offer exactly zero substance to everything I've ever said in my life :cry

Most rational Spurs fan. :lol

GAustex
11-26-2023, 11:36 PM

LOL

Joseph Kony
12-09-2023, 12:18 AM
:lmao

GAustex
04-15-2024, 11:29 PM
This is another good one
Sniffers embarrassed

scott
04-15-2024, 11:46 PM
I would hammer the over of 28.5 wins pretty hard if I had any Vegas trips lined up, or lived in a state where DK wasn't banned :lol. Alas, I do not.

Thank you for your laws restricting sports betting, State of Hawaii :lol

scott
04-15-2024, 11:51 PM
Also, never EVER take betting advice from SpursTalk.com

GAustex
04-15-2024, 11:58 PM
My buddy won bigly

You lost if you had the guts to follow your advice

GAustex
04-15-2024, 11:59 PM
Anyone who is like you describe is either a bookie and making money that way or has lost their shirt and owes all kinds of money. Taking the under at 30 is pretty stupid, so I'm guessing later. "Analytics" of Vegas sports lines. Lol.

Lol

playbonner15
04-16-2024, 01:21 AM
Spurs had 34 wins in the 21-22 season with Dejounte as our star player and Bryn Forbes in the backcourt... This team has got to be at least as good or better, right?

:lol