PDA

View Full Version : Will Duncan ever play for another team?

z0sa
12-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Even late in his career, say when hes 34-35, do you think he could play for another team and still bring them over the top to win a championship, or even play for another team period?

I think theres a better chance he won't, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
duncan is slowly declining. he's still a great player but his best years are behind him. suffice to say he's still gonna make an amazing role player at 34-35 but i dont see him taking a team "over the top" unless he is backing up some very solid go to guys

exstatic
12-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Even late in his career, say when hes 34-35, do you think he could play for another team and still bring them over the top to win a championship, or even play for another team period?

I think theres a better chance he won't, but I wouldn't rule it out.
I would. If he was EVER going to leave, it would have been in 2000. Tim is smart. He sees plenty of other players with unfulfilled careers having to go elsewhere to better organizations to win a ring. There just aren't any better organizations out there, and I think Tim is smart enough to see that. SA continually finds quality pieces, both young and veteran to put around him.

Oh, and LMFAO at Tim's decline. This is just the typical early season boredom.

smeagol
12-03-2005, 11:41 PM
No

T Park
12-03-2005, 11:51 PM
duncan is slowly declining. he's still a great player but his best years are behind him

I say this,

in all the utmost respect, but.

You my friend,

make Duff look like an architect.

That is easily, the dumbest thing, Ive EVER read in my entire life.

Duncan is 28 29 years old, and hes "declining"?!?!?!?!?

Good lord....

boutons
12-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Duncan is 28 29 years old, and hes "declining"

yes, go look at his quickness and moves from 2003, esp 1999 games. He's much slower now, less aggressive.

That spin move tonight was notable for its rarity.
He did that move a lot more when he was younger.

He was also a lot lighter, cut up, when was younger. He's put on some weight, although Pop has noted that Tim started this season lighter than June. 15 - 20 pounds lighter can make huge difference in feeling light, quickness, wear/tear over 100+ games/season.

Puppy Dog
12-04-2005, 12:02 AM
We are all getting older. Duncan's talents are not as heavily based on pure athelticism as other superstars...we all KNOW this. well...except daysleeper...hey man...wake up...:lol

and NO, TD will not play for another team. He is a Spur for life...like his Brother before him. :tu

5ToolMan
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
yes, go look at his quickness and moves from 2003, esp 1999 games. He's much slower now, less aggressive.

He was also a lot lighter, cut up, when was younger. He's put on some weight, although Pop has noted that Tim started this season lighter than June. 15 - 20 pounds lighter can make huge difference in feeling light, quickness, wear/tear over 100+ games/season.

With Tim not having to run 5-down as much, with his ankles much better, with his weight down, with the offense getting continually more spread, expect Tim to still show his quickness and ability to dominate the paint one on one, but ONLY when he has to.

Bigs as a rule, don't hit their prime until their mid thirties. Great bigs like Tim who really never relied on quickness or athleticism to make them great, don't hit their prime until the late thirties. Trust me, Tim has plenty left in the tank.

If you noticed Tim was a step slow last year, it was his ankles, dimwit. This year, Tim is measuring the competition and his mates, as he only does what he must, letting his team get stronger as a group, conserving championship energy for when it is needed.

Puppy Dog
12-04-2005, 12:17 AM
yawn, in 99, Tim was the offense.

now? he's the point forward. with manu and tp doing alot of scoring...

he'll dunk on yo ass when he wants too...don't forget that.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-04-2005, 12:31 AM
i agree my post was a bit dumb but he's def. past hsi peak

yes he's 29 and his minutes are down at 35 ppg. but there are WAY too many games especially during the playoffs where it'd be like (Tim Duncan: no FG"s in last 20 minutes of play) sometimes he'd go entire quarters without hittin an FG in the playoffs especially during that lakers series in 2004 as well as some very horrible piston games (even tho he had sore ankles) looking back some of th eplayoff games in '99 and even if you go up to th efinals of 2003 duncan just isnt as dominating as he used to be though still a GREAT player.

exstatic
12-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I think his droughts are more a function of the legal zones that are played now. Those didn't exist in '99. A team can basicly deny him the ball by front and backing him on the entry attempt like Dallas did, and force other people to beat them, or double hard when he has the ball and force him to pass.

Brutalis
12-04-2005, 12:42 AM
I say this,

in all the utmost respect, but.

You my friend,

make Duff look like an architect.

That is easily, the dumbest thing, Ive EVER read in my entire life.

Duncan is 28 29 years old, and hes "declining"?!?!?!?!?

Good lord....

agreed

T Park
12-04-2005, 01:16 AM
I think his droughts are more a function of the legal zones that are played now. Those didn't exist in '99. A team can basicly deny him the ball by front and backing him on the entry attempt like Dallas did, and force other people to beat them, or double hard when he has the ball and force him to pass

Thats exactly right.

Teams can double team him the whole time on offense, and the 3-2 takes away all of his work room.

His improved jumper also keeps him from driving.

Hes as quick now as he was then.

His spin move, and other moves tonight proved that.

Dudes just gotta stay healthy.

But to say hes declining, thats a huuuuge reach.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Amy sure hopes not.

George W. Bush
12-04-2005, 01:19 AM
i agree my post was a bit dumb but he's def. past hsi peak

yes he's 29 and his minutes are down at 35 ppg. but there are WAY too many games especially during the playoffs where it'd be like (Tim Duncan: no FG"s in last 20 minutes of play) sometimes he'd go entire quarters without hittin an FG in the playoffs especially during that lakers series in 2004 as well as some very horrible piston games (even tho he had sore ankles) looking back some of th eplayoff games in '99 and even if you go up to th efinals of 2003 duncan just isnt as dominating as he used to be though still a GREAT player.

You best go watch that Finals series again. No Rasho. Very Limited Naz. Horry with a lil help on the outside o course. BUT it was TD vs. the Wallace Bros. Spurs are the Champions. Nuff said. :fro

T Park
12-04-2005, 01:26 AM
W is right.

(as usual)

Amy sure hopes not

lol love that....:lol

z0sa
12-04-2005, 02:44 AM
While its impossible to say anything for sure, I really think the place besides the spurs of course that duncan would excel the best would be new york... larry brown is alot like pop and duncan would have stephon marbury as a good sidekick.

z0sa
12-04-2005, 04:14 AM
I'm talking team-wise... of course he would never go there, or any other team really... just a what if

JamStone
12-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Duncan strikes me as the type of player who doesn't need or want to play basketball when he's past his prime. I think he may retire before his prime even. Not that he would want to anyway, but he has nothing to prove in the NBA. He has multiple championships, multiple MVP trophies, all the all-nba, all defensive awards a player could ask for. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will play longer just to keep racking up more money. I think he'll retire in his early to mid 30s. And, after he made his decision in 2000 to stay in San Antonio, I don't think he has the desire to play for any other organization ever.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2005, 09:24 AM
duncan needs to be sent to the nbdl the way his been playin :D:D

exstatic
12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
duncan needs to be sent to the nbdl the way his been playin :D:D

Kori needs to send you to the NBDL message board the way you've been posting. Knuckle head.

5ToolMan
12-04-2005, 11:06 AM
You best go watch that Finals series again. No Rasho. Very Limited Naz. Horry with a lil help on the outside o course. BUT it was TD vs. the Wallace Bros. Spurs are the Champions. Nuff said. :fro

Correction: "It was TD on bum ankles, VS the Wallace Bros. Spurs are Chamions AGAIN! Nuff said."

GoSpurs21
12-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Tim will never play for any other coach than Pop, so as long as Pop is in SA so will TD be in SA. Also I dont see Pop coaching much longer after TD leaves the game.

While its impossible to say anything for sure, I really think the place besides the spurs of course that duncan would excel the best would be new york... larry brown is alot like pop and duncan would have stephon marbury as a good sidekick.Dude you do realize that when Duncan's contract is over in 4 years LB will be long gone from the Knicks. Also Duncan hates cold weather so you can rule out all cold weather teams. That's why its so funny when Boston always cries about SA getting Duncan, as if Tim would have stayed after his rookie contract was over.

Bigs as a rule, don't hit their prime until their mid thirties. Great bigs like Tim who really never relied on quickness or athleticism to make them great, don't hit their prime until the late thirties. Trust me, Tim has plenty left in the tank.Dude name one big that was in his prime in his mid to late 30s? Are you high? Bigs hit their prime from 28-32 everyone knows that. TD is in his prime right now.

5ToolMan
12-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Duncan strikes me as the type of player who doesn't need or want to play basketball when he's past his prime. I think he may retire before his prime even. Not that he would want to anyway, but he has nothing to prove in the NBA. He has multiple championships, multiple MVP trophies, all the all-nba, all defensive awards a player could ask for. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will play longer just to keep racking up more money. I think he'll retire in his early to mid 30s. And, after he made his decision in 2000 to stay in San Antonio, I don't think he has the desire to play for any other organization ever.

With Tim, playing several more years won't be about more money, and it certainly won't be about more publicity for himself. That said, I see Tim playing several more years giving service to his mates and his fans. And I also see him continuing to use the NBA platform to inspire and help people in the grass roots way Tim is comfortable with. When you see Tim helping children, inspiring those with simular backgrounds, it is clear it is from his heart.

Tim does not need the money. Tim does not need the fame. Tim loves being part of a team, helping his mates and others. With Tim so comfortable in his own skin, don't expect him to change what he loves to do, untill he can no longer have the impact we all love and admire.

strangeweather
12-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Dude name one big that was in his prime in his mid to late 30s? Are you high? Bigs hit their prime from 28-32 everyone knows that. TD is in his prime right now.

Agreed, but the guys that don't live or die with their athleticism can keep playing at a high level (though not their peak) for a long, long time. Remember Kareem?

boutons
12-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I wonder if Tim, with 10's of $Ms in the bank, will just lose interest in basketball in a few years.

There are certainly games, like the first half last night, where it seems he'd rather be somewhere else (as opposed to playing basketball for its own sake, figuring out how to make a meaningless Nov game against a sucky Sixers into something he really wants to do), and needs to kick in his motivation by Pop to play like he did after halftime. While he know doubt enjoys the playoffs, I wonder if he will wake up one day and decide the pain of the season is not longer for him worth the playoff payoff.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
at 40, he'd be a shrink somewhere near the SBC center

I have no idea what this means, but actually found it mildly humorous.

T Park
12-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Dude name one big that was in his prime in his mid to late 30s?

a man named Hakeem comes to mind.

T Park
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
There are certainly games, like the first half last night, where it seems he'd rather be somewhere else (as opposed to playing basketball for its own sake, figuring out how to make a meaningless Nov game against a sucky Sixers into something he really wants to do), and needs to kick in his motivation by Pop to play like he did after halftime. While he know doubt enjoys the playoffs, I wonder if he will wake up one day and decide the pain of the season is not longer for him worth the playoff payoff.

I thought the same thing last night.

But then you watch during timeouts and during free throws, him joking around with Barry, Bowen, Parker, Rasho,

he seems to be having fun out there still.

When your so much better than anyone else, it prob gets damn boring sometimes.

kris
12-04-2005, 01:35 PM
duncan is slowly declining. he's still a great player but his best years are behind him. suffice to say he's still gonna make an amazing role player at 34-35 but i dont see him taking a team "over the top" unless he is backing up some very solid go to guys

This guy is on to something. Duncan clearly played better when he was younger. However, I don't know if he couldn't bring back his younger moves if he tried. Last night was like a retro game with his left handed dunk and spin move.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2005, 01:52 PM
It very tough trying to figure out how to balance out getting your teammates involved and then stepping it up when you need to be dominant. Jordan and Iverson's game plans were/are try to dominate from the get-go, then get their teammates involved secondarily, and I think that's an easier thing to do mentally.

That's why, if I was a run-of-the-mill NBA player, I would always have preferred to play with a Magic, Larry, or Tim rather than a Jordan or AI. You just work your butt offf, fill the lanes, play good BB and they'll get your good shots.

Playing with Jordan or AI consists of staying out of their way until they decide they want your participation.

Mr. Defense
12-04-2005, 01:57 PM
With Tim, playing several more years won't be about more money, and it certainly won't be about more publicity for himself. That said, I see Tim playing several more years giving service to his mates and his fans. And I also see him continuing to use the NBA platform to inspire and help people in the grass roots way Tim is comfortable with. When you see Tim helping children, inspiring those with simular backgrounds, it is clear it is from his heart.

Tim does not need the money. Tim does not need the fame. Tim loves being part of a team, helping his mates and others. With Tim so comfortable in his own skin, don't expect him to change what he loves to do, untill he can no longer have the impact we all love and admire.

That's a Great Post. Thanks for the read. :tu

exstatic
12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Kareem A-J, Robert Parrish, and Kevin Willis all played past FORTY.

Bigs just last longer. Their games are rarely predicated on quickness or leaping ability. As they get older, they learn little tricks about how to play the game, box out, shove guys at just the right time to get rebounds.

Honestly, with all of the young 7 footers coming into the league wanting to play SF, Tim could play until he was 40 and still be a 20/10 guy. If Tim retires, it will be because he wants to, not because he can't do it anymore.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Don't minimize what Kareem, Parish, Willis, and Malone accomplished.

They were three of the best-conditioned athletes ever in the NBA. Those guys all were extremely diligent about keeping in shape all the time. Tim seems to maybe making some strides in that regard.

Vashner
12-04-2005, 02:17 PM
:makemyday Only if he "chooses"... feel the powa!!!

yeahone
12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
ducan is a spur for life

tlongII
12-04-2005, 08:00 PM
The Spurs should trade Duncan to the Blazers after this season. We will give you Zach Randolph who is younger and clearly has his best years ahead of him.

wildbill2u
12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Tim proved he was someone who is more involved with the quality of his life than the opportunity to shine in a media-rich big city when he signed his last contract with San Antonio, a contract that will carry him close to retirement.

Like many Spurs players, he's come to appreciate the ambiance and great living conditions of San Antonio and the recent birth of a child will only solidify his afffiliation with the city and the Spurs.

I don't think he'd leave voluntarily, but you never know what the FO office might do if he were 35/36 and some idiot GM like Isaiah offered the team their lottery pick or a great young player. If they could trade Gervin, they could trade anyone.

pache100
12-05-2005, 11:28 AM
But to say hes declining, thats a huuuuge reach.

Yes! He's definitely changing. He's more mature. He's more efficient and that means he doesn't need speed as much and he's never needed excessive agression for his game. Evolving? Yes. Declining? No.

sanman53
12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
TIm looks the best THIS YEAR than he has in previous years. He is in shape and still has the skills to take over the game at anytime! So I dont see him declining anytime soon.

He will be a Spur 4-life. I would hope he would do like David and in his later years, take a lesser role and help a younger player take over his position. But there is no need to think about that for a while. Lets just enjoy these championship years!

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Tim's line has always been that he'll stay put as long as the Spurs are really committed to winning, and I don't think that's going to change until Tim retires and the Spurs might need to take a little time to rebuild properly. Besides, Tim seems to like it here, and he has a family now. When it comes time to sign his final contract he'll probably just want to avoid having to pull up stakes or spend the season completely away from his family.

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Sidney Duncan Anyone?

callo1
12-05-2005, 01:39 PM

Duncan is not declining...not hardly.

Don't confuse the Spurs athleticisim and options around Tim as Tim in the decline.

The Spurs simply do not HAVE to rely only on Timmy to win anymore.

If anything, this will lengthen TD's career.

callo1
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM

You need to realize that when Tim was younger...like in '99, he HAD to make his move faster so he could beat the double team. Remember, back then the Spurs had unathletic spot shooters out on the perimeter who couldn't really put the ball on the floor and go past anyone (see 2001 WCF against the Lakers for evidence).

Over the last two years we have seen Tim go into that slower "back his man down, and kick out to teamate mode".

Take a look at the 4th quarter of game 7 against the Pistons and you will see exactly that. Before Tim HAD to beat the double team with a quick move, whereas now he can let the doubleteam come then kick out.

I look at it as more of a voluntary evolution in his game...not a decline.

Quick Olympic trivia fact for ya:

Did you know that the numbers bear out that most Olympic athletes have had their best individual performances of their careers at 29-30 years of age?

pache100
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
You need to realize that when Tim was younger...like in '99, he HAD to make his move faster so he could beat the double team ... Remember, back then the Spurs had unathletic spot shooters out on the perimeter who couldn't really put the ball on the floor and go past anyone?

Yes. When Tim came to the Spurs, David Robinson made a remark to the effect that it sure was nice to see YOUNG legs running up and down the court. That did not take anything away from David as a basketball player, and it did not mean that he stopped running up and down the court. What it did mean was that some of the pressure was off him, and sharing made both of them better players. It gave David an opportunity to explore other aspects of the game, and that is what Tim is enjoying right now.