PDA

View Full Version : the spurs starting pg should be

playblair
10-15-2023, 12:35 AM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/l5LcjLvLlOPyQ0YKaq3kWv_ifSM=/0x0:3287x4929/1200x800/filters:focal(1424x643:1948x1167)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72402365/1259019252.0.jpg

http://youtu.be/fuyY47DlXd4?si=EwSfTsQPwVOfoXBZ

http://youtu.be/avozJKI5DdQ?si=_AxyIveIDhLT1x2P

http://youtu.be/0qIrRLzhsiE?si=FO_NbViWp7lc56gN

JPB
10-15-2023, 02:03 AM
Pop making place for Kevin Tran, that's all.

CGD
10-15-2023, 08:37 AM
I wonder if they see in Cidy a lot of what they thought they get out of Primo. Dude is a smart, talented passer.

LittleCriminal
10-15-2023, 10:03 AM
Cidy or maybe bring back Dejounte Murray??? lol

rogcl1
10-15-2023, 10:08 AM
Cidy can't throw the ball into the ocean. Hard to understand how so many of these guys reach this level and can't shoot. When you first started playing and go in the driveway and shoot baskets it was making shots that make the game fun.

CGD
10-15-2023, 10:15 AM
Cidy can't throw the ball into the ocean. Hard to understand how so many of these guys reach this level and can't shoot. When you first started playing and go in the driveway and shoot baskets it was making shots that make the game fun.

This happens more than we think. Teams bet on the age, athleticism, BBIQ for the age, and one/two skills the player has already that are above average. With his D and passing, Cidy clearly passes the test. If he develops a floater and set shot, he’s a bonafide rotation player.

Atl Spur
10-15-2023, 10:57 AM
I’ll just sit back and watch…… hopefully my initial assessment was accurate!

playblair
10-15-2023, 11:07 AM

he doesnt have to shoot he is surrounded by shooters....... cidy is the only spurs player who can make every pass........all the other aau players on the team cant make proper interior passes to victor or outlet passes to victor or transition passes to victor........

BackHome
10-15-2023, 12:50 PM
The problem with Cidy is what position does he play? He is not a PG or SG or SF or C to me he looks like an undersized PF who has no offense. I am OK betting on upside but he needs another year of G League but this time he needs to be the Man on Offense . Last year him being so young and he had two players who were above him on the pecking order who both got drafted in the NBA so he deferred to them.

Rocalcio
10-15-2023, 01:05 PM
Can you please stop calling him Cidy ? His first name is Sidy. It’s not like it’s written 3 times in the first post with the YouTube videos, dear god…

spurs10
10-15-2023, 01:11 PM
Can you please stop calling him Cidy ? His first name is Sidy. It’s not like it’s written 3 times in the first post with the YouTube videos, dear god… :lol Get the man's name right!

Dex
10-15-2023, 01:20 PM
If OP is suggesting anything, my general inclination is to assume the exact opposite thing.

ace3g
10-15-2023, 02:00 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1713612218187608506

playblair
10-15-2023, 02:02 PM
If OP is suggesting anything, my general inclination is to assume the exact opposite thing.
op has never been wrong about a spurs prospect or lineup.........

Obstructed_View
10-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Sidy needs to be able to reliably shoot when open. From a court vision standpoint, he is elite. Will be fun to watch him develop. He had a no look drop pass against Miami that was very slick.

RC_Drunkford
10-15-2023, 03:45 PM
op has never been wrong about a spurs prospect or lineup.........

OP forgot to log into his burner account

playbonner15
10-15-2023, 04:40 PM
Agree......... limited offensively though.... so he should work on his 3 and driving in the paint so he can be a threat w/ Wemby on the floor

RC_Drunkford
10-15-2023, 05:39 PM
Sochan will be the starting PG from what‘s been said in the interviews.

td4mvp2k
10-15-2023, 07:23 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1713612218187608506
this is what i expected when tre isnt on the floor

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Jones. Lmao.

he sadly is the only real point on the roster. I like Sidy’s passing and defense a lot, but he definitely needs to work on shooting and finishing.

Sochan is another player I like a-lot, but he isn’t a point guard either. He is pretty solid as a forward handling the ball and passing, but it isn’t like he is breaking down defenses and setting others up on the regular. He is definitely a good 3 option ball handler and a okay 2nd option

onechance87
10-15-2023, 08:14 PM
Jones. Lmao.

he sadly is the only real point on the roster. I like Sidy’s passing and defense a lot, but he definitely needs to work on shooting and finishing.

Sochan is another player I like a-lot, but he isn’t a point guard either. He is pretty solid as a forward handling the ball and passing, but it isn’t like he is breaking down defenses and setting others up on the regular. He is definitely a good 3 option ball handler and a okay 2nd option

wemby going to need to slashers when he get doubled team,He seemed to find sochan going to the rim when they did...Not so much tre...But tre does seem to handle the
ball better....Sucks that neither can really shoot.

Atl Spur
10-15-2023, 09:34 PM
Sidy just need seasoning; instincts and ability is there in spades:)

itzsoweezee
10-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Sift is one of my favorite players already. He’s keeping up the stuff that made him stand out in summer league. The next Boris Diaw.

sfernald
10-16-2023, 12:05 PM
Damn Micic on OKC looks like the perfect Spurs player. Moves in slo mo but makes crazy Jokic type passes all day long. Looks to get everyone involved like a true point guard should. Super intellectual player who is thinking several steps ahead of everyone. Playing chess not checkers. Just needs more NBA seasoning. Should be a cheap get if Spurs really want him.

exstatic
10-16-2023, 12:16 PM
Damn Micic on OKC looks like the perfect Spurs player. Moves in slo mo but makes crazy Jokic type passes all day long. Looks to get everyone involved like a true point guard should. Super intellectual player who is thinking several steps ahead of everyone. Playing chess not checkers. Just needs more NBA seasoning. Should be a cheap get if Spurs really want him.

He's going to be raped on defense.

wildbill2u
10-16-2023, 12:41 PM
Has there ever been a starting point guard in the NBA who had virtually no offensive capability at all? Hasn't the major knock against Tre been his lack of offense? Just askin'.

JPB
10-16-2023, 12:44 PM

His last game vs. CHA: 3/10, 8 ass/5 to, -9 diff (worst on the team).

playblair
10-16-2023, 01:02 PM
Has there ever been a starting point guard in the NBA who had virtually no offensive capability at all? Hasn't the major knock against Tre been his lack of offense? Just askin'.
ben simmons won rookie of the years as a pg with no scoring ability.........

Seventyniner
10-16-2023, 01:41 PM
MyVvou4aiRI

At the 59:30 mark Andrew Lopez brings up the idea that not only could Sochan start at the 1 (Sochan/Vassell/Keldon/Wemby/Collins), but that Tre Jones as the sixth man could replace any one of those five and you still get a functional lineup. It's a fascinating idea to me.

The Wemby part of the video is from 45:00 to the end.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-16-2023, 03:18 PM

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/33/50/32/24020658/3/1200x0.jpg

sfernald
10-16-2023, 09:50 PM
His last game vs. CHA: 3/10, 8 ass/5 to, -9 diff (worst on the team).

He definitely needs some time to get acclimated to the NBA, but he was very good (besides his shooting). I watched that game, did you? Or are you just spouting stats in a preseason game?

wildbill2u
10-17-2023, 11:59 AM
Mitch Cumsteen you may have found the answer to out PG problems. Find Avery and suit him up.

Russo21
10-17-2023, 12:02 PM
Kevin Porter Jnr is suddenly available? Would he fit?

Mr. Body
10-17-2023, 12:02 PM
Kevin Porter Jr. is available.

itzsoweezee
10-17-2023, 12:26 PM

Jones doesn’t need to score. He just needs to get the ball to Wemby. That give and go from the three point line is a perfect example. I don’t think Sochan, et al. are able to make that play.

FutureMan
10-17-2023, 12:45 PM
The Spurs starting point guard SHOULD be… Conley, Lowry, Brogdon, Tyus Jones, or Monte Morris

Still a small amount of time left but it seems the Spurs are confident Tre learned how to hit threes and/or that Sochan can go without turning the ball over more than 2.5 a game… and can also hit threes.

playblair
10-17-2023, 12:55 PM
Jones doesn’t need to score. He just needs to get the ball to Wemby. That give and go from the three point line is a perfect example. I don’t think Sochan, et al. are able to make that play.
no other player on the spurs can make an interior pass due to aau basketball not teaching fundamentals........cidy is the only player who can make every type of pass

Mr. Body
10-17-2023, 02:18 PM
no other player on the spurs can make an interior pass due to aau basketball not teaching fundamentals........cidy is the only player who can make every type of pass

You didn't notice the interior passing from Zach Collins and others last night?

exstatic
10-17-2023, 02:41 PM

If Ime had enough of him, Spurs won't touch his crazy self.

JPB
10-17-2023, 03:20 PM
He definitely needs some time to get acclimated to the NBA, but he was very good (besides his shooting). I watched that game, did you? Or are you just spouting stats in a preseason game?

You're not good when you shoot 3/10 with wit 5 tos as a PG, with the worst +/- of your team and a nonexistent defense. You're a net negative and if you can't score efficiently or take care of the ball, you just hurt your team. It's still preseason and OKC is trying to see what they got but Micic should be ready to warm the bench in RS.

The Truth #6
10-17-2023, 03:46 PM
Beyond the actual point guard we need more playmaking/passing ability. Pop teaches sharing the ball which is a good foundation but as far as good passers:

Mamu and Sidy C come to mind. Tre minimizes turnovers more than is a great playmaker. Sochan is a great connective player but too soon to say as far as his playmaking chops. Blake is very erratic. Wemby and Vassell are solid but it's not their main strength. It will be a good year to see who proves themselves.

spurraider21
10-17-2023, 04:08 PM
Beyond the actual point guard we need more playmaking/passing ability. Pop teaches sharing the ball which is a good foundation but as far as good passers:

Mamu and Sidy C come to mind. Tre minimizes turnovers more than is a great playmaker. Sochan is a great connective player but too soon to say as far as his playmaking chops. Blake is very erratic. Wemby and Vassell are solid but it's not their main strength. It will be a good year to see who proves themselves.
Wemby has also shown in preseason that he's getting better at passing out of double teams, which can lighten the load on perimeter playmakers.

As far as good connective passers, you mentioned Manu, Sidy, and Sochan, but Collins is another one, and he's going to be a fixture in the starting 5 as well.

and not that this play is indicative of playmaking, nice to see vassell be able to make this kind of pass with his off hand

sfernald
10-17-2023, 05:58 PM
You're not good when you shoot 3/10 with wit 5 tos as a PG, with the worst +/- of your team and a nonexistent defense. You're a net negative and if you can't score efficiently or take care of the ball, you just hurt your team. It's still preseason and OKC is trying to see what they got but Micic should be ready to warm the bench in RS.

if you had watched the game you would have seen that most of his missed shots were three point shots that were just slightly short. Expected for someone who was a master of euro league and needs some time and practice to get used to the longer NBA three point line and maybe the new society and language he has to deal with too.

CGD
10-17-2023, 06:21 PM

He’s accused of beating his wife. That’s why.

exstatic
10-18-2023, 11:45 AM
He’s accused of beating his wife. That’s why.

He has...issues. He tore up the locker room in Cleveland as a rookie, because they had the audacity to move his locker. Cleveland dumped him immediately to Houston, who didn't care about winning.

Chinook
10-18-2023, 11:56 AM
KPJ is not an option. Fuck, he's probably even less of an option than Primo.

The Spurs just have to make it until 01/15, when Austin Reaves becomes tradeable.

Mr. Body
10-18-2023, 11:56 AM
If Ime had enough of him, Spurs won't touch his crazy self.

Oh, I know. I was joking.

rjv
10-18-2023, 02:47 PM

he's the perfect spur

Splits
10-18-2023, 03:11 PM
One would think a guy needs to be able to put a cylindrical object through a hoop at 3.05 meters in order to be considered a basketball player.

Splits
10-18-2023, 03:13 PM

This was just Pop talking shit in a press conference and Wemby covering for his shit talking. Nothing more.

spurraider21
10-18-2023, 03:18 PM
This was just Pop talking shit in a press conference and Wemby covering for his shit talking. Nothing more.
not really concerned about the writing in the tweet. it was just the only tweet i saw which had the specific clip i was looking for short of the full 2+ minute long highlight reel

playbonner15
10-18-2023, 06:17 PM
MyVvou4aiRI

that Tre Jones as the sixth man could replace any one of those five and you still get a functional lineup. It's a fascinating idea to me.

This is genius

DAF86
10-18-2023, 07:42 PM
Get in the Harden trade.

And I'm only half joking.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2023, 08:28 PM
Get in the Harden trade.

I'm only rolling one eye. :lol

spurraider21
10-18-2023, 08:28 PM
Get in the Harden trade.

no

MultiTroll
10-18-2023, 10:27 PM
Gregg Popovich in a Player-Coach role like Billy Russell.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=405817920791350

John B
10-19-2023, 02:30 AM
I guess it’s settled. Sochan is Spurs starting PG. It allows Keldon to start, Spur’s best 5 players. Besides all five could create their own shots. I really like how that starting 5 is also our best defensive line-up

DAF86
10-19-2023, 07:40 AM
I guess it’s settled. Sochan is Spurs starting PG. It allows Keldon to start, Spur’s best 5 players. Besides all five could create their own shots. I really like how that starting 5 is also our best defensive line-up

That lineup will struggle mightly on offense. Then again, I don't know how much better (if any) they would do with Tre at PG.

stephen jackson
10-19-2023, 07:42 AM
Keldon needs to raise his trade value or we need to start wemby at the 5

onechance87
10-19-2023, 07:56 AM
That lineup will struggle mightly on offense. Then again, I don't know how much better (if any) they would do with Tre at PG.

only if keldon and vassell dont step up...So far vassell getting it going and can continue it into the season...keldon really
not making shit happen...But its only two preseason games for keldon....But they aint rookies no more...They are getting paid big money
to produce and make shit happen

rascal
10-19-2023, 11:05 AM
Let's see how long that stating lineup experiment will last when the real games start. I'll give in 10-15 games.

JPB
10-19-2023, 11:33 AM
Not sure what some people are expecting, this isn't mad science. That's our best 5 players here, that S5 is the right one and makes perfect sense.

We all know Tre is a back up in a non tanking team and there's nobody that could pretend dethroning any of these starters. Spurs will have to make the best of Wemby's talent and the attention he will generate, and those guys are the most equipped for that in terms of athetiscism, driving, shooting, passing skills and defense.

tim_duncan_fan
10-19-2023, 11:48 AM
I am personally aiming for another lotto pick to get a good guard. That's my official take and the most likely outcome.

If we are talking about the possibility of actually winning this season (which we shouldn't be given how the preseason looks) then Keldon will have to become our drive-and-kick guy.

He's used a somewhat-decent crossover a couple of times this preseason. Let's see if he can attack the basket to find an open guy out of his penetration or score himself with it, then figure out when to do which.

RC_Drunkford
10-19-2023, 04:31 PM
Let's see how long that stating lineup experiment will last when the real games start. I'll give in 10-15 games.

It will last all season

FutureMan
10-20-2023, 02:17 PM
It will last all season

Interesting prediction. Not saying it won’t happen but the last time we had a consistent starting 5 IMO was probably 2015-16.

Edit - Actually looks like another year was 2021-22. So two years in the last eight.

Dejounte
10-20-2023, 07:37 PM
I am personally aiming for another lotto pick to get a good guard. That's my official take and the most likely outcome.

If we are talking about the possibility of actually winning this season (which we shouldn't be given how the preseason looks) then Keldon will have to become our drive-and-kick guy.

He's used a somewhat-decent crossover a couple of times this preseason. Let's see if he can attack the basket to find an open guy out of his penetration or score himself with it, then figure out when to do which.

What has looked so bad about this preseason?

spurraider21
10-20-2023, 07:58 PM

Obstructed_View
10-20-2023, 08:23 PM
Lol isn't that the opposite of what he said like six days ago?

spurraider21
10-20-2023, 08:27 PM
Lol isn't that the opposite of what he said like six days ago?
i think he intends to use this lineup to begin the season, but is saying he's not married to it. if they faceplant early, he'll make changes

Obstructed_View
10-20-2023, 08:34 PM
i think he intends to use this lineup to begin the season, but is saying he's not married to it. if they faceplant early, he'll make changes
I'm definitely okay with that. Pop's stubbornness has been the worst thing for this team over the last 25 years.

tim_duncan_fan
10-20-2023, 08:57 PM
What has looked so bad about this preseason?

It's been subtle because Devin has been killing it on the catch and shoot threes, basically covering it up, but we are pretty weak on penetration, so far.

Vic is Vic, but he'll need somebody besides just himself to be a creator/attacker for us to be a winning team. I haven't seen much from our guards and wings in that regard. It's extremely early of course, but we need somebody to take the onus of confidently attacking the basket. We can't have just no one doing that. Could have just been an odd few preseason games, but it looks like an area to address, to my untrained eyes.

Fusternino
10-20-2023, 10:23 PM
We may not have a starting PG (and have just one true PG in general) but the nightmare days of Pop's micro lineups are over. Look how massive our starting lineup is! No more DDR at PF or a backcourt of TP9 and Mills, etc. These are great days!

spurraider21
10-20-2023, 10:43 PM
I guess when Victor is on the floor none of this shit matters tbh :lol

NASpurs
10-21-2023, 12:13 AM
We may not have a starting PG (and have just one true PG in general) but the nightmare days of Pop's micro lineups are over. Look how massive our starting lineup is! No more DDR at PF or a backcourt of TP9 and Mills, etc. These are great days!

Thank God midget ball era is long dead.

MultiTroll
10-21-2023, 12:15 AM
Sochan should be the pg.

Tre is barely even a backup. Just flat undersized / not athletic enough.

I guess when Victor is on the floor none of this shit matters tbh :lolYes when he is not on the floor, ooosh.

Obstructed_View
10-21-2023, 12:48 AM
Thank God midget ball era is long dead.
Good fucking riddance.

Vince Carter's ankle
10-21-2023, 02:13 AM
Sochan should be the pg.

Tre is barely even a backup. Just flat undersized / not athletic enough.

Yes when he is not on the floor, ooosh.
lol

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 05:32 PM
Sochan