PDA

View Full Version : Sir Jabari Rice

lebomb
10-19-2023, 03:17 PM
I wish they would give this dude more playing time. Just a tiny bit? He played well in the summer and he killed it at UT. Just sayin..............:depressed

ChumpDumper
10-19-2023, 03:20 PM
Gonna get all the minutes he can handle in Cedar Park.

exstatic
10-19-2023, 03:52 PM
Gonna get all the minutes he can handle in Cedar Park.

This. He was signed to be an Austin Spur. He's older than every player on the roster drafted by SA, nearly 25. There's no NBA career in his future.

T Park
10-19-2023, 03:54 PM
This. He was signed to be an Austin Spur. He's older than every player on the roster drafted by SA, nearly 25. There's no NBA career in his future.

eh. I wouldn't be too quick on that one.

exstatic
10-19-2023, 03:59 PM
eh. I wouldn't be too quick on that one.

I said what I said. He's nearly 25, and won't be getting hardly any burn in SA. No development = no career in the NBA, especially at his age.

spurraider21
10-19-2023, 04:12 PM
I said what I said. He's nearly 25, and won't be getting hardly any burn in SA. No development = no career in the NBA, especially at his age.
he's not misunderstanding you. he's disagreeing with you

adonis827
10-19-2023, 04:13 PM

He (along with Bediako) will not be given a two way if there is zero chance he would be used in the big league. If he dominates the g league or at least carves out a specific role then he may be able to find an NBA team. Don't forget about 6"3' Andre Ingram was 32 when he played with the Lakers after about 11 years in the G League

exstatic
10-19-2023, 04:23 PM
He (along with Bediako) will not be given a two way if there is zero chance he would be used in the big league. If he dominates the g league or at least carves out a specific role then he may be able to find an NBA team. Don't forget about 6"3' Andre Ingram was 32 when he played with the Lakers after about 11 years in the G League

The A-Spurs had a couple of recent seasons where their PG bailed and went overseas. The reason was gleague money.

We just have so many young draftees, and so many picks forthcoming, I can't see our 2ways as NBA developmental slots any more, other than a holding spot for players like Bassey and Barlow until their contracts can be converted. YMMV.

Bediako isn't on a 2way. He's an exhibit 10 contract, and when cut, just becomes a gleaguer for Austin.

ChumpDumper
10-19-2023, 05:01 PM
Eh, one can barely see his standing in for a mothership Spurs player at any point in the season. Having three two-way spots makes a real opportunity to just sign a "hometown" type guy for exclusive G-League use. He's the guy who pump faked the shit out of guys during UT's 2023 run -- that will sell a few tickets up here. As young as the Spurs are, I could easy see the third two-way going to another older dude if they think he can run the point in Austin and never sniff SA, for example.

sfernald
10-19-2023, 05:48 PM
cut him, bring in a raw af 19 year old who has a chance of being an nba player someday

CGD
10-19-2023, 06:18 PM
Eh, one can barely see his standing in for a mothership Spurs player at any point in the season. Having three two-way spots makes a real opportunity to just sign a "hometown" type guy for exclusive G-League use. He's the guy who pump faked the shit out of guys during UT's 2023 run -- that will sell a few tickets up here. As young as the Spurs are, I could easy see the third two-way going to another older dude if they think he can run the point in Austin and never sniff SA, for example.

Hey look, a rationale UT person for once

Obstructed_View
10-19-2023, 06:36 PM
His name is Sir Jabari Rice because he's 137 years old. He was knighted by Queen Victoria.

ChumpDumper
10-19-2023, 06:49 PM
Hey look, a rationale UT person for once

Well...UTSA....

10-19-2023, 10:13 PM
Manu was a 26 year old rookie, David was 24. They had decent careers. Age doesn’t matter. Game matters more.

td4mvp2k
10-19-2023, 10:16 PM
he'll get his shot if he balls out in the G league and wesley doesnt improve

adonis827
10-19-2023, 10:50 PM
Manu was a 26 year old rookie, David was 24. They had decent careers. Age doesn’t matter. Game matters more.

Manu was already the best international prospect at that point and David was a number 1 pick that needed 2 years of Navy service. Not a good comparison. But yes age doesn't matter. He could continue to toil in the G League (see 11 years for Andre Ingram) or other leagues with more money but keep grinding and improving your game.

GAustex
10-19-2023, 11:02 PM
I think Rice is a good to great complimentary player who if not asked to do too much can be useful.
He can make open shots and can suffice as a secondary make it happen dude

Obstructed_View
10-20-2023, 12:18 AM
I think Rice is a good to great complimentary player who if not asked to do too much can be useful.
He can make open shots and can suffice as a secondary make it happen dude
That's far more reasonable than comparing him to Dave and Manu. :lol

playbonner15
10-20-2023, 12:28 AM
He's not comparable to Manu or DRob :lmao

spurraider21
10-20-2023, 01:51 AM
SA is supposed to be using Austin as a resource. Austin using SA resources like two way deals seems quite backwards to me

exstatic
10-20-2023, 07:04 AM

The point you’re running right past was that they were both DRAFTED. David was a #1 overall pick who had to do two years in the Navy. Manu was a Euroleague MVP. They were 24 & 25 at a time when most players entering the league were 22. Now, most players entering the league are 19. It’s all about development, not finished products like Manu and David.

exstatic
10-20-2023, 07:20 AM
SA is supposed to be using Austin as a resource. Austin using SA resources like two way deals seems quite backwards to me

SA used Austin as a resource when they had veterans, and like one or maybe two players to develop at a time. They gutted their roster, and are refilling it with draft picks. They made 3 FRPs last year, and there’s probably a coin flip chance that they could pick 3 again next year. The development is now being done in SA for most players, with the occasional outlier like Sidy.

hoopdreams11
10-20-2023, 09:03 AM

J Simmons was 25 when he started playing for the spurs

exstatic
10-20-2023, 09:06 AM
J Simmons was 25 when he started playing for the spurs

Did we have 6 recent FRPs on the roster at the time? Did we have six more in the barrel? We were scraping bottom for cheap roster options to put around Kawhi/LMA. Also, the minute he could leave, he did. Sinking development time into a 25 YO and watching him walk was probably a lesson learned for PATFO.

Mr. Body
10-20-2023, 09:21 AM
Pop, I believe, said at the end of last year when all those new dudes were getting run that he wanted to be sure these guys could have the best professional careers they could, even if not with the Spurs. I'm sure the team likes what they see with Rice, want to develop him, see where things go. If he hangs with the full roster, that may be a surprise, but it's not like they need a strict destination in mind for him. Maybe he just winds up a good player alongside Blake and Sidy in Austin. That's great.

Big Empty
10-20-2023, 09:24 AM
Manu was an NBA 25 year old rookie

exstatic
10-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Manu was an NBA 25 year old rookie

Manu was drafted. Manu also earned the Euroleague MVP. Being 25 wasn't why he stuck.

hoopdreams11
10-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Did we have 6 recent FRPs on the roster at the time? Did we have six more in the barrel? We were scraping bottom for cheap roster options to put around Kawhi/LMA. Also, the minute he could leave, he did. Sinking development time into a 25 YO and watching him walk was probably a lesson learned for PATFO.

Bruce Bowen was 26 when he first played with the heat G Neal was 24 when he started with the spurs. Age doesn't matter it's desire and a skillset the team needs. Yes some might walk the salary cap dictates that. In 2005 the spurs pick up a 32 yr old G Robinson sitting at home; in April to help them win the championship that year

exstatic
10-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Bruce Bowen was 26 when he first played with the heat G Neal was 24 when he started with the spurs. Age doesn't matter it's desire and a skillset the team needs. Yes some might walk the salary cap dictates that. In 2005 the spurs pick up a 32 yr old G Robinson sitting at home; in April to help them win the championship that year

Robinson already had an NBA career. We've picked up lots of veterans that were older than 25 who already played. The point isn't that he's 25. The point is that he's 25 with no experience, and would need to be developed into an NBA player, which, with our deep drafted young player roster, would be a waste of time.

hoopdreams11
10-20-2023, 10:01 AM
5 years of college is not experience ? I think Tim David and Sean will disagree with you. I think it is better because at an older age you already know what you do well and the spurs org can refine that and fit you in the system. So there must be something they see. The younger draft picks like Lonnie, Luka and Primo is a crapshoot on what your going to get. crapped out on two of those there is your waste of time

exstatic
10-20-2023, 10:26 AM
5 years of college is not experience ? I think Tim David and Sean will disagree with you. I think it is better because at an older age you already know what you do well and the spurs org can refine that and fit you in the system. So there must be something they see. The younger draft picks like Lonnie, Luka and Primo is a crapshoot on what your going to get. crapped out on two of those there is your waste of time

NBA GMs would disagree with you. Go thru the last 5 drafts, and look at players 24 and older. I’ll wait.

It's also irrelevant to bring up the 1987 and 1989 drafts. The NBA is a completely different animal nowadays. If you stay in college for 4 years, something is wrong with or lacking your game that didn’t allow you to declare at 19 or 20.

hoopdreams11
10-20-2023, 12:20 PM
That's the point he wasn't drafted. They did not waste a pick on him. That's why they call it a lottery you can get Giannis,Tatum or Bennett and Greg Odom.
Yes something was lacking from their game but they were smart enough to stay in school and try to get a degree while working on their game. That doesn't mean you don't take flyer on them. I think we might be on to something alot of these guys are still in the league that went to the Spurs and Miami organization. Do they know something the other GM'S don't?
Drafts
2017 Josh Hart Sr
2018 Devontae Graham, Grayson Allen Sr's notable Sr's undrafted Duncan Robinson, Jaysean Tate,Y Wantanabe, J Landale, D Eubanks (jr)
2019 Thybullle, cody Martin, Terance Mann notable sr's undrafted Max strus
2020 Desmond Bane, Azubuike, Peyton Pritchard
2021 Chris Duarte, Herb Jones, Jerico Sims Sr's notable Sr's undrafted Jose Alvarado, Austin Reaves

adonis827
10-20-2023, 03:21 PM
NBA GMs would disagree with you. Go thru the last 5 drafts, and look at players 24 and older. I’ll wait.

It's also irrelevant to bring up the 1987 and 1989 drafts. The NBA is a completely different animal nowadays. If you stay in college for 4 years, something is wrong with or lacking your game that didn’t allow you to declare at 19 or 20.

I looked it up for you

Buddy Hield was year 24 (would be 24 before the end of draft year)
Chris Duarte was year 24
Brogdon was year 24
Derrick White was 23
#25 Sasser College senior is 23
#30 Kobe Brown College Senior is 24 on January 1
lots of other seniors / 23+ years of age in the second round just this year

Older prospects are still drafted though I would agree that the scouts give premium to younger guys with lots of potentials.