PDA

View Full Version : spurs have played 50 nba seasons how many have u watched as a fan

playblair
10-23-2023, 01:01 PM
are there any posters on spurstalk who have seen all 50 nba spurs seasons :wtf

kht
10-23-2023, 02:13 PM
probably 21 or so

Pauleta14
10-23-2023, 02:17 PM
32 as NBA fan
23 as a Spurs fan

GAustex
10-23-2023, 02:19 PM
All of them

Twisted_Dawg
10-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Day 1, 1973

GAustex
10-23-2023, 02:29 PM
They were pretty good but then they got Gervin and Nater and things took off

spurraider21
10-23-2023, 02:37 PM
i was nominally a spur fan because they shared a color scheme with the raiders, who i was a fan of bc of my dad

i dont really remember watching any specific games before timmy, was 5 when duncan was drafted. but i remember having 7 draft or some ESPN/TV segment about it on the TV and hearing about how amazing a player duncan was coming to the spurs, who i already liked, and was really excited about it

tim's rookie season is the first year i can specifically remember seeing games on TV

Dex
10-23-2023, 02:43 PM
I was only born in '85 so...not all of them :lol

Growing up in San Antonio, all I have ever known is Spurs.

David Robinson was probably the first "celebrity" I can remember. My favorite childhood toy was a Coyote stuffed animal.

I really started getting into (and understanding) the Spurs in the mid-to-late 90s. I remember Karl Malone knocking out DRob, and Tark chewing on towels. I remember seeing Antonio Daniels' silly smile on the menus at Jim's Restaurant. I remember HemisFair, and the Dome, and when AT&T used to be SBC.

My dad was the first one to tell me about Tim Duncan and how he was supposed to be like the next Jordan. The rest is history.

TheChillFactor
10-23-2023, 02:43 PM
Shoutout to the Day 1s

Started watching as a little kid in 1987, so like 36 seasons.

vander
10-23-2023, 02:57 PM
is this just an age thread?

Leetonidas
10-23-2023, 03:02 PM
I started actively watching every game in the 2002-2003 season

buttsR4rebounding
10-23-2023, 03:05 PM
I’ve been watching the Spurs from Day1. First game was against the Pacers with George McGinnis. Lived next door to Rich Jones who was an all-star PF for the team. I delivered the Iceman’s Express News for a while. Me and my brother could go watch a game for $10. Included parking, tickets, a Coke and a popcorn.

Fireball
10-23-2023, 03:07 PM
should be about 15 years ... since the International League Pass was available ... am a fan since 1996 but could not watch any full games

spurraider21
10-23-2023, 03:09 PM
I started actively watching every game in the 2002-2003 season
i couldnt actively watch every game until streaming became a regular thing, as i lived out of market. luckily, during that period of time, the spurs were always quite good so found themselves on national TV relatively frequently, plus i'd catch their games vs lakers/clippers

would have to watch the ticker on ESPN for score updates, watch SportsCenter or ESPNews for highlights. and my morning ritual before school was to grab the newspaper, get into the sports section, and go through all the box scores, standings, stat leaderboards, etc

edmon
10-23-2023, 03:12 PM
From day1. Almost no games on tv. Listened to most every game on the radio.

Leetonidas
10-23-2023, 03:21 PM
i couldnt actively watch every game until streaming became a regular thing, as i lived out of market. luckily, during that period of time, the spurs were always quite good so found themselves on national TV relatively frequently, plus i'd catch their games vs lakers/clippers

would have to watch the ticker on ESPN for score updates, watch SportsCenter or ESPNews for highlights. and my morning ritual before school was to grab the newspaper, get into the sports section, and go through all the box scores, standings, stat leaderboards, etc

we were always the "boring" team during that time so I imagine a lot of the coverage on ESPN at the time was probably anti Spurs.

2003 was a good time to start actively watching, for obvious reasons. :lol I believe Joel Myers was still our color guy at the time. I have this vivid memory of watching a Spurs/Jazz game where Timmy hit a game winning turnaround over Malone at the buzzer and I ran around the house going nuts :lol such simpler times

Barfunk
10-23-2023, 03:37 PM
I rooted for the Spurs kind of from afar as a young teen in 99' when they won their first chip as I wasn't really following basketball heavily after Bulls years, although I dug David Robinson as a kid. My older brother was a big time Bulls/Jordan/Pippen fan so I basically followed that as a child. For whatever reason, I decided to really follow the Spurs a little past the beginning of the 2002-2003 season and was very fortunate to hop on the wagon of a impending dynasty. So actively and die hard: 21 years (since around the beginning of the 2002-2003 season).

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-23-2023, 03:41 PM
i started watching after they got Wemby

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2023, 03:51 PM
Spurs fan for 25 years, but it was hard to watch games in Germany back in the day

JPB
10-23-2023, 03:54 PM
18 years or so.

John B
10-23-2023, 04:06 PM
I moved to SA in April of 1988 from the Philippines. It wasn’t the USA that I envisioned. It was sweltering 104 degrees and the people were eating Mexican food! Worst, their only professional team was the Spurs???!!, a 21-61 record that year!! But my cousin kept telling me of this athletic freak who was only completing his two-year tour with the Navy. The following year, David Robinson finally came in all his athletic grandeur, rim running like a gazelle, dunking on people, and turned the franchise into 56-26 record, the highest turnaround then. I was a fan since, even after I moved to LA. I’ve been booed in Staples with my Manu jersey, and almost got beat up at a parking lot. But I’ve been true with my Spurs colors! I can’t wait to wear my Wemby jersey and start taunting again :lol GSG! :flag:

slick'81
10-23-2023, 04:08 PM
35 years

couchman
10-23-2023, 04:12 PM
Shoutout to the ones from Day 1!

I was a kid when we moved to SA in 1982 and immediately started following the Spurs so that makes it 41 years for me.

tim_duncan_fan
10-23-2023, 04:23 PM
Just 20. I started really watching basketball/the NBA in 2003. I bandwagoned in '03 because Mavs were out of the playoffs, but hey, still a Texas team. But then I realized I really identified with/wanted to be like Tim. Then I came to appreciate everything about the Spurs aesthetic; yes the black and silver but also the ironically quiet and subtle dominance. The all chill no frills. No BS. All solid, chill guys. Business-like. I had to stick around.

mudyez
10-23-2023, 04:25 PM
Got into basketball via the dream team and the '93 german european championship. Thought about making the run TMC Warriors (or what was left of it) my fav team, but ultimately landed with the Spurs. Funnily enough it probably was because of Dennis Rodman. Not because I liked him (my favs were The Admiral and Sean when he came back from Detroit), but because german TV showed a lot of Spurs games because of Rodman with the funny hair and so on (at least that is what I believe).

After all there was no major reason why I picked the Spurs. I never have been to San Antonio or took a deep dive into Spurs history. It probably was because of the likable Admiral and the fiesta colors.

No question, my decition was one of the best things ever happening to me...and I laughed and cried with the team throughout those 30 years...witnessing the Duncan lottery...celebrating the first ship...all those other moments...and laying weeping on the floor after #5...not to mention the latest lottery.

HankChinaski
10-23-2023, 04:31 PM
34 years. Since 89 90

Dex
10-23-2023, 04:33 PM
is this just an age thread?

It also allows us to harass the bandwagoners who just showed up after Wemby was drafted

rascal
10-23-2023, 04:49 PM
All 50 years. Since 1973.

scott
10-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Born in ‘79 and the first season I can remember was the 88-89 season before DRob’s rookie year.

I remember games used to be on PPV. You could catch like the first 6 minutes of the 1st quarter before they scrambled it and you’d just have to listen to the rest of the TV feed or switch to radio. They used to announce playoff scores between innings at little league. Those were the days.

Spurs Brazil
10-23-2023, 06:45 PM
Started in 94-95 - Season 29

offset formation
10-23-2023, 06:51 PM
40ish maybe.

depends on definition of seasons. Pretty much every game though for last 28+

scott
10-23-2023, 06:56 PM
And oh yeah, IIRC, games were $14.95 EACH on PPV. Say what you will about Bally, but man at least that’s a lot better than it used to be!!!

barakz21
10-23-2023, 07:45 PM
22! I know it hasn’t been THAT long, but damn. When I started rooting for the team, it was just TP’s rookie season. And now he’s already in the HoF.

mookie2001
10-23-2023, 08:04 PM
34th year coming up. Robinson was a rookie

Obstructed_View
10-23-2023, 08:18 PM
Born in ‘79 and the first season I can remember was the 88-89 season before DRob’s rookie year.

I remember games used to be on PPV. You could catch like the first 6 minutes of the 1st quarter before they scrambled it and you’d just have to listen to the rest of the TV feed or switch to radio. They used to announce playoff scores between innings at little league. Those were the days.

Fucking Paragon cable.
Spring of 91 for me.

CorrectCrusader
10-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Been going to spurs games due to my grandfather all my life, but I only started really following the team in 2018. I'm a young buck.

Just for the record I watched the 2013 Ray Allen shot live

jhfenton
10-23-2023, 08:54 PM
The Spurs have 47 seasons in the NBA, and I can almost claim to have been a fan for all of them. But I was 6 years old when the Spurs joined the NBA, and I don't think I really started paying attention until a year or two later. My first Spurs memory is the last day of the season scoring battle between Thompson and Gervin. (I had to look up the numbers, but Thompson scored 73 earlier in the day to take the lead, and then Gervin scored 63 to take the crown.) I had flashbacks 16 years later when Robinson scored 71 to beat Shaq for the scoring title.

There were a lot of entertaining but ultimately frustrating years in the 90's, but there have been very few years when I didn't harbor at least a little bit of hope that the Spurs could contend (maybe the mid-to-late 80's and the last few seasons). So based solely on the duration of entertainment provided, the Spurs have easily been my most rewarding team to follow.

KobesAchilles
10-23-2023, 09:28 PM
2001 playoffs. I saw Kobe kick the Spurs ass and I was just star struck. Like man nobody on the team can stop the dude. Jim was on the back burner that year and in the 4th I forgot he was even playing. That’s when I knew that the bag was staying in SA

but in all seriousness, 1993 was my first year following basketball and I saw Barkley hit the shot in Robinson’s eye. Painful way to lose. But I liked Sir Charles and KJ and was sad when they lost to Michael fucking Jordan. I hated MJ so the Suns loss was more painful to me than the Spurs. I wasn’t really a Spurs fan fan until the year Robinson got knocked out by Malone. 1997? That’s when my fandom for the team took off.

rogcl1
10-23-2023, 09:59 PM
All of them.

KDKSpurs24
10-23-2023, 10:31 PM
24 years

itzsoweezee
10-23-2023, 10:46 PM
33 years. Damn, I feel old.

John B
10-23-2023, 11:51 PM
2001 playoffs. I saw Kobe kick the Spurs ass and I was just star struck. Like man nobody on the team can stop the dude.

I always think that the x factor on any Spurs’ championships were their point-of-attack defensive catalyst, Ninja Sean Elliott in 1999, Bruce Bowen in 2003, 05 and 07, and Danny Green/Kawhi Leonard in 2014. After that 1999 championship, Sean had his kidney transplant and was never the same again. Much respect to Kobe, but he got lucky Sean was not there. But once Spurs got Bowen, Lakers couldn’t win again until Bruce slowed down in 2008, and with much help by Gasol.

mikec
10-24-2023, 12:06 AM
1992, the season after the dream team, David Robinson was my favorite player and I became a Spurs fan for life. Never set foot in San Antonio but I followed them closely and never left them.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-24-2023, 12:33 AM
About 45 years. In the last 20 years I think I’ve only missed one game on tv or in person.

mudyez
10-24-2023, 01:04 AM
About 45 years. In the last 20 years I think I’ve only missed one game on tv or in person.

You better have a good reason for that one game. Your twins were born or something bigger.:nope

SPURt
10-24-2023, 01:44 AM
Surprising amount of ‘all of them’ answers in here! I come in at 34 years, 89-90. Rod Strickland, Willie Anderson, Sean, Terry Cummings, and D Rob. One of my favorite Spurs teams! What could’ve been!

Rocalcio
10-24-2023, 02:41 AM
Started following them during the Cummings, Robinson, Del Negro, Anderson.. era. So that should be the beginning of 90'. Let's say 33 years.

At this time it wasn't easy to follow the results, we only had one weekly newspaper which would give us the score. And from time to time we had a game broadcasted on the French channel Canal Plus.

KingKev
10-24-2023, 03:12 AM
Since 93 when I was 8yrs old so 30 years.

Back in those days in Toronto we only got a Sunday NBA game on NBA on NBC and only after NFL season was over! Safe to say it wasn’t easy following the Spurs!

venitian navigator
10-24-2023, 03:22 AM
Fan since the Artis Gilmore trade... So since 1982 (41 years, more or less)...

dbestpro
10-24-2023, 05:53 AM
Went to first game against the Bullets in the playoffs in 79. 44 years,

Brazil
10-24-2023, 08:22 AM
Started following them during the Cummings, Robinson, Del Negro, Anderson.. era. So that should be the beginning of 90'. Let's say 33 years.

At this time it wasn't easy to follow the results, we only had one weekly newspaper which would give us the score. And from time to time we had a game broadcasted on the French channel Canal Plus.

same here tbh

JPB
10-24-2023, 08:35 AM

Good old George Eddy: BABABABABABOUM! OHLALALALALALALA!

stnick2261
10-24-2023, 08:52 AM
Born in San Antonio in '82 so Spurs were always my team, but I didn't watch basketball until around 2000 (so 23 years or so)

Rocalcio
10-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Good old George Eddy: BABABABABABOUM! OHLALALALALALALA!

Messieurs DAAAAAMMMEEESS !! :lol

KobesAchilles
10-24-2023, 10:56 AM
I always think that the x factor on any Spurs’ championships were their point-of-attack defensive catalyst, Ninja Sean Elliott in 1999, Bruce Bowen in 2003, 05 and 07, and Danny Green/Kawhi Leonard in 2014. After that 1999 championship, Sean had his kidney transplant and was never the same again. Much respect to Kobe, but he got lucky Sean was not there. But once Spurs got Bowen, Lakers couldn’t win again until Bruce slowed down in 2008, and with much help by Gasol.
Elliott was my favorite Spur of all time until Manu showed up. Imma huge fan of the Ninja (even when he missed 2 Fts in game 1 WCF). The Memorial Day Miracle is one of my favorite memories as a fan.

I was jk about the Kobe stuff even though I respect the hell out of him as a competitor.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-24-2023, 11:29 AM
Season of 1976...so however long that is. Math is hard.

spurs10
10-24-2023, 11:54 AM
About 33...

jjspur
10-24-2023, 12:02 PM
Grew up on the west coast watching the Lakers or Blazers. The Blazers usually choked and the Lakers had a few players I didn't like. When we moved to Texas in 78 I became an instant spurs fan. That's 40 plus years rooting for the silver & black and sometimes fiesta colors.

paperboy77
10-24-2023, 12:19 PM
I think since 87 so like 36 seasons

John B
10-24-2023, 12:54 PM
Reading the various comments, ST posters are from different corners of the world, and following the Spurs however they can. It’s pretty cool.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-24-2023, 03:04 PM
The Spurs have 47 seasons in the NBA, and I can almost claim to have been a fan for all of them. But I was 6 years old when the Spurs joined the NBA, and I don't think I really started paying attention until a year or two later. My first Spurs memory is the last day of the season scoring battle between Thompson and Gervin. (I had to look up the numbers, but Thompson scored 73 earlier in the day to take the lead, and then Gervin scored 63 to take the crown.) I had flashbacks 16 years later when Robinson scored 71 to beat Shaq for the scoring title.

There were a lot of entertaining but ultimately frustrating years in the 90's, but there have been very few years when I didn't harbor at least a little bit of hope that the Spurs could contend (maybe the mid-to-late 80's and the last few seasons). So based solely on the duration of entertainment provided, the Spurs have easily been my most rewarding team to follow.

I'm the same age as you. I remember my father taking me to some ABA games, but I don't think I really knew what was going on until they were in the NBA. I do remember going to that first playoff game against the Celtics, and being crushed when they lost. Pretty sure I've hated the Celtics ever since.

Growing up, I never thought they would win a championship. I figured that it was going to be a Cubs-like cursed existence. It was one horrific playoff disappointment after another starting with the Bullets and all the way through the Strickland pass and Run TMC and the Jazz and on and on. If you had told me in 1996 that this team would go on the run that it had, there's no way in hell I would ever believe you.

jhfenton
10-24-2023, 03:45 PM
Growing up, I never thought they would win a championship. I figured that it was going to be a Cubs-like cursed existence. It was one horrific playoff disappointment after another starting with the Bullets and all the way through the Strickland pass and Run TMC and the Jazz and on and on. If you had told me in 1996 that this team would go on the run that it had, there's no way in hell I would ever believe you.

My father was from the middle of nowhere Texas originally, and we lived near Ft. Worth when the Spurs joined the NBA (before moving to Oklahoma). So I had to cheer for the Spurs from afar. I have George Gervin to thank for my being a Spurs fan, because geographically I could have been a Rockets fan just as easily. But Iceman was a lot more fun than Moses Malone, so my choice was easy. My earliest basketball memories are of listening to Spurs games on the radio in bed. (I’m sure there was no way to watch most of them at the time.)

You are right that the team did feel a bit cursed for a long time. I was in college when the David Robinson era began, and I was so optimistic that they would finally get their breakthrough with the Admiral. 1996-97 was a brutal season at the time. I wish I could go back and tell myself what it was going to mean for the next 20 years.

In recent years, I’ve tried to get over to the Spurs game in Indy every year with my older son (coming from Cincinnati). (He got to see the Big 3 play before he could really appreciate how great they were.) But this year I got tickets to the Spurs game in Cleveland. Older son’s in college, so he wouldn’t be able to go to Indy with me, but he will be on winter break when the Spurs travel to Cleveland.

Joseph Kony
10-24-2023, 03:53 PM
we were always the "boring" team during that time so I imagine a lot of the coverage on ESPN at the time was probably anti Spurs.

2003 was a good time to start actively watching, for obvious reasons. :lol I believe Joel Myers was still our color guy at the time. I have this vivid memory of watching a Spurs/Jazz game where Timmy hit a game winning turnaround over Malone at the buzzer and I ran around the house going nuts :lol such simpler times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8

GAustex
10-24-2023, 03:58 PM
Putting dirty Jazz down is always a good thing.

John B
10-24-2023, 04:34 PM
So many fun memories of the Spurs while many heartbreakinh losses like the Ray Allen lucky 3, Fisher’s .04, Ginonili’s foul on Dirk, Zaza’s paw on Kawhi’s. I hated Drexler, Porter and the Blazers, Malone and the cowbells, Kobe, Fisher, Dirk and Jason Terry, Ray Allen and finally Zaza. But it’s time to make new memories now with my 10 yrs old boy. I’m sure he’ll look back and reminisce Wemby’s nth ring. Good stuff.

John B
10-24-2023, 05:21 PM
So many fun memories of the Spurs while many heartbreakinh losses like the Ray Allen lucky 3, Fisher’s .04, Ginonili’s foul on Dirk, Zaza’s paw on Kawhi’s. I hated Drexler, Porter and the Blazers, Malone and the cowbells, Kobe, Fisher, Dirk and Jason Terry, Ray Allen and finally Zaza. But it’s time to make new memories now with my 10 yrs old boy. I’m sure he’ll look back and reminisce Wemby’s nth ring. Good stuff.

koriwhat
10-24-2023, 05:56 PM
Late 80's around 7/8 yrs old. I have some great Spurs memories over the last few decades.

GoSpurs99
10-24-2023, 10:04 PM
52 for me :bobo

exstatic
10-25-2023, 06:51 AM
Spurs have played 46 nba seasons. The 50 years is total San Antonio residency, aba and nba.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 02:51 PM
started watching full seasons from 2004 and onward. This was mostly because of Manu

Rosewood
10-25-2023, 03:12 PM
I have watched since the 06 season. I was around 13 or 14.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 04:57 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: