PDA

View Full Version : Early Games

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 07:25 PM
I know this will fade before long, but I'm bored watching the season kickoff and have been banned from r/nba.

Second quarter, Denver has cracked down on Lakers pretty hard. Very poor matchup for LA - Davis is nowhere in the same universe as Jokic. I'm afraid the Lakers filled the roster with a flashy offseason but it's guys like Jaxson Hayes and Christian Wood. I don't think this is really a serious team.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 07:42 PM
I know this will fade before long, but I'm bored watching the season kickoff and have been banned from r/nba.

Second quarter, Denver has cracked down on Lakers pretty hard. Very poor matchup for LA - Davis is nowhere in the same universe as Jokic. I'm afraid the Lakers filled the roster with a flashy offseason but it's guys like Jaxson Hayes and Christian Wood. I don't think this is really a serious team.
what did you do? :lol

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 07:43 PM
The Nuggets' bench doesn't seem as solid as it was last year and last year it seemed a little short.

Donald Sterling.
10-24-2023, 07:46 PM
It really is Jokic by himself and then everyone else right now. Anthony Davis is arguably the best defensive big in the game and he can barely bother Jokic.

Looking forward to the Jokic-Wembanyama matchup and see what the rookie can do against Jokic on the defensive end.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 07:51 PM
The Nuggets' bench doesn't seem as solid as it was last year and last year it seemed a little short.
last year their bench was basically Bruce Brown and Jeff Green, both of whom are gone

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 07:54 PM
Denver is a bit of a glass cannon. If a couple key players aren't hitting they struggle. They only won 53 games last year but should reengage and get this one back. It all depends on Jokic.

John B
10-24-2023, 07:55 PM
It really is Jokic by himself and then everyone else right now. Anthony Davis is arguably the best defensive big in the game and he can barely bother Jokic.

Looking forward to the Jokic-Wembanyama matchup and see what the rookie can do against Jokic on the defensive end.

Wow Jokic vs Wemby. Not yet :lol

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 07:55 PM

Is Anthony Davis actually a good defender?

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 07:56 PM
Lakes depend too much on HGH LeBron. He looks like the de-aged Robert De Niro in The Irishman.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 07:59 PM
Is Anthony Davis actually a good defender?
yes, quite good

their playoff run last year was spurred by their suffocating defense and he is by far their most impactful defender

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 08:00 PM
Taurean Prince having himself a game

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:02 PM
yes, quite good

their playoff run last year was spurred by their suffocating defense and he is by far their most impactful defender

Their playoff run wasn't that impressive.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 08:04 PM
Their playoff run wasn't that impressive.
they were a play-in team that made it to the conference finals and knocked off the defending champs. it was pretty good

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:06 PM
Lakers match up with their regular starters vs. the Spurs? Likely as they're supposedly the better team.

Anthony Davis - Zach Collins
Taurean Prince - Wembanyama (?)
LeBron James - Keldon Johnson
D'Angelo Russell - Devin Vassell
Austin Reaves - Jeremy Sochan

I guess Reaves and James swap their coverage? Or James guards Wemby? Prince is ony 6'6".

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:07 PM
they were a play-in team that made it to the conference finals and knocked off the defending champs. it was pretty good

The West last year was incredibly shitty. They died a pathetic death against the only team in the West that was any good.

Same in the East. Most of the teams were so crappy the 8th seed made it to the Finals. Incredibly bad league last year.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 08:09 PM
Lakers match up with their regular starters vs. the Spurs? Likely as they're supposedly the better team.

Anthony Davis - Zach Collins
Taurean Prince - Wembanyama (?)
LeBron James - Keldon Johnson
D'Angelo Russell - Devin Vassell
Austin Reaves - Jeremy Sochan

I guess Reaves and James swap their coverage? Or James guards Wemby? Prince is ony 6'6".
lakers would probably start vanderbilt over prince and have him on wemby. or try vanderbilt on collins and AD on wemby, who knows. lakers best "success" against the nuggets last year came when they had hachimura try to check jokic and let davis roam more

objective
10-24-2023, 08:12 PM
Lakers were closing in then the refs stepped in and let the Nuggets murder drivers and basket interfere

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 08:16 PM
Lakers were closing in then the refs stepped in and let the Nuggets murder drivers and basket interfere
AD and Reaves took turns getting mugged on one possession and led to a gordon alley-oop on the other end :lol

but now lakers just fallin apart, independent of the officiating

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:18 PM
lakers would probably start vanderbilt over prince and have him on wemby. or try vanderbilt on collins and AD on wemby, who knows. lakers best "success" against the nuggets last year came when they had hachimura try to check jokic and let davis roam more

However the execution works out, the Spurs are an instant matchup problem for teams.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:21 PM
Denver replaced Bruce Brown with... Peyton Watson.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 08:43 PM
However the execution works out, the Spurs are an instant matchup problem for teams.
yeah you kinda have to have 2 legit bigs out there, one of whom is mobile enough to hang in perimeter. think wolves are one. cavs another. remains to be seen what defensive archetype will be most successful at checking wemby

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 08:53 PM
yeah you kinda have to have 2 legit bigs out there, one of whom is mobile enough to hang in perimeter. think wolves are one. cavs another. remains to be seen what defensive archetype will be most successful at checking wemby

For the Lakers, assuming the Spurs are effective with their lineup, I don't know what they do. Their bigs suck beyond the starters. Jaxson Hayes ain't gonna do it.

This game was never much in doubt, always sensed the Nuggs would kick it up a half gear and finish the Lakers off.

Denver looks to have a very weak bench. Jokic may suffer wear-and-tear carrying this crew. They're missing another couple of impact players.

LAL, man, they still depend so effing much on LeBron. Anthony Davis has to be the weakest, most pointless 'superstar' in the last fifty years. At some point the line was that they won the offseason and even then I had no idea how. Hayes and Reddick are bad. Gabe Vincent isn't going to move the needle. Christian Wood is almost unplayable. Only Hachimura and he's iffy.

Can easily see the Lakers miss the play-in completely.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 09:00 PM
Someone floated Austin Reaves in a package for Kyrie Irving and that... kind of makes sense.

timtonymanu
10-24-2023, 09:04 PM
All the “lakers are contenders” talk. :lol

Their fans hype up every signing they have. Said player ends up sucking and then fans want them off the team, rinse and repeat.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 09:17 PM
We're watching the last years of players like Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry.

R. DeMurre
10-24-2023, 09:23 PM
We'll see what happens when Draymond returns, but watching a micro back court of CP3 and Curry is painful. This also forces Klay as the SF to get switched onto bigs... Steve Kerr must be reliving nightmares of smallball Team USA getting bullied and outrebounded with Josh Hart at their PF.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 09:45 PM
Suns' bench unsurprisingly not very good.

spurraider21
10-24-2023, 09:47 PM
Suns' bench unsurprisingly not very good.
they cant have 4-5 of their bench guys on the floor at the same time. as complementary pieces to mix in with 3-4 starters they're fine. esp now with beal out and one of their good reserves, allen, being thrust into a starting role

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 10:00 PM
"The Western Conference is stacked!!!"

The Western Conference:

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 10:10 PM
Actually good teams from other eras would destroy these teams.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure the Suns are that great defensively, the Warriors just look gassed and old and cooked. Only put up 46 in the half.

timtonymanu
10-24-2023, 10:26 PM
If this version of Klay Thompson keeps up, the Warriors are done. 40 year old CP3 isn’t going to cut it. Steph needs to go supernova again for them to even have a shot at the playoffs.

Mr. Body
10-24-2023, 10:54 PM
Warriors beating Suns 27-5 in the third quarter. That's the fierceness, grit, and leadership we've come to expect from Kevin Durant.

ismael-robert
10-24-2023, 10:54 PM
Eubanks getting solid minutes as backup to Nurkic. Collins may be better team player but 1v1 it’s a toss up. I like eubanks defense and aggressive shot blocking while Collins gets nod on offense

RC_Drunkford
10-25-2023, 04:28 AM
Eubanks getting solid minutes as backup to Nurkic. Collins may be better team player but 1v1 it’s a toss up. I like eubanks defense and aggressive shot blocking while Collins gets nod on offense

It's not even close tbh. Eubanks is only on the Suns cause he's a borderline NBA player who can be had for the minimum. Collins just signed for 17 million per year.

RC_Drunkford
10-25-2023, 04:53 AM
For the Lakers, assuming the Spurs are effective with their lineup, I don't know what they do. Their bigs suck beyond the starters. Jaxson Hayes ain't gonna do it.

This game was never much in doubt, always sensed the Nuggs would kick it up a half gear and finish the Lakers off.

Denver looks to have a very weak bench. Jokic may suffer wear-and-tear carrying this crew. They're missing another couple of impact players.

LAL, man, they still depend so effing much on LeBron. Anthony Davis has to be the weakest, most pointless 'superstar' in the last fifty years. At some point the line was that they won the offseason and even then I had no idea how. Hayes and Reddick are bad. Gabe Vincent isn't going to move the needle. Christian Wood is almost unplayable. Only Hachimura and he's iffy.

Can easily see the Lakers miss the play-in completely.

The Lakers are a play-in team. Players like Christian Wood, Taurean Prince and Jaxon Hayes are inefficient garbage. They are not a threat at all. I agree Denver took a step back, they don't have a capable bench at all. Their 2 best bench guys are Christian Braun and Reggie Jackson. They will have to play their starters high minutes to win games. I think they'll try to sign some guys who get bought out to strengthen their bench or make some minor trades, that usually always works out for contenders.

Klay Thompson is a shell of himself, Draymond can't shoot anymore and old CP3 is a weird fit. The Dubs ain't a threat either. Suns don't have any depth and play "my turn, your turn" offense.

All in all the west is super weak, which is why I'm high on the Spurs this year.

mo7888
10-25-2023, 05:42 AM
Someone floated Austin Reaves in a package for Kyrie Irving and that... kind of makes sense.

I'd love to see that trade. Kyrie would give LA something shiny to look at for a bit, but ultimately, not move the needle for them.

CorrectCrusader
10-25-2023, 07:24 AM
what did you do? :lol

Doesn't take much to get banned by r/nba mods

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 07:28 AM
Doesn't take much to get banned by r/nba mods
Yeah i guess. Reddit mods in general can be that way

R. DeMurre
10-25-2023, 09:39 AM
I think Denver chose well in the draft with older/high floor type guys. If Strawther and/or Pickett can replicate what Braun did last year, and if Braun takes a step up in his development, they could be in pretty decent shape. Losing Brown was inevitable due to $$ circumstances, but I generally like most of Calvin Booth's moves/thoughts in the past year, especially his eye on the importance of positional height & length.

exstatic
10-25-2023, 09:47 AM
I think Denver chose well in the draft with older/high floor type guys. If Strawther and/or Pickett can replicate what Braun did last year, and if Braun takes a step up in his development, they could be in pretty decent shape. Losing Brown was inevitable due to $$ circumstances, but I generally like most of Calvin Booth's moves/thoughts in the past year, especially his eye on the importance of positional height & length.

It's funny how star players frequently fall on their faces as coaches and GMs, and role players frequently excel.

R. DeMurre
10-25-2023, 10:03 AM
It's funny how star players frequently fall on their faces as coaches and GMs, and role players frequently excel.

Yeah, there's definitely a pattern. Some of the worst analysis out there is from former or current stars.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2023, 10:14 AM
Suns definitely look better than the Warriors. The Warriors size might be their downfall this year. Also CP3 was ok-ish for them. Missed some open threes down the stretch...surprised me he was hero-balling on a team full of shooters. Excited for those two Suns-Spurs games next week. Hopefully Wemby plays in both.

And Jokic...jeez. Denver might b2b based on him alone. They have some holes on that roster, but he's Duncan-esque in how he can put a team on his shoulders. Tim did it in a more balanced way, offense and defense, but the Joker can f'n carry a team by himself.

The Lakers will be pretty good...sadly. Not ever a fan of the Lakers, but they're pretty talented. Not deep enough to win the title, and when Lebron inevitably goes down, and AD starts having his 20 in-season injuries we'll probably see them fade in the standings. They'll be an over-talented 7 or 8 seed again when they probably have the names to be top 4.

JPB
10-25-2023, 10:21 AM
Suns definitely look better than the Warriors. The Warriors size might be their downfall this year. Also CP3 was ok-ish for them. Missed some open threes down the stretch...surprised me he was hero-balling on a team full of shooters. Excited for those two Suns-Spurs games next week. Hopefully Wemby plays in both.

And Jokic...jeez. Denver might b2b based on him alone. They have some holes on that roster, but he's Duncan-esque in how he can put a team on his shoulders. Tim did it in a more balanced way, offense and defense, but the Joker can f'n carry a team by himself.

The Lakers will be pretty good...sadly. Not ever a fan of the Lakers, but they're pretty talented. Not deep enough to win the title, and when Lebron inevitably goes down, and AD starts having his 20 in-season injuries we'll probably see them fade in the standings. They'll be an over-talented 7 or 8 seed again when they probably have the names to be top 4.

I'm not seeing that much talent in that LA team. I mean this is the NBA, you got talent everywhere but behind James and Davis, there's a cliff. Reaves is nice and all but still a quality role player at best, then after Rui that's a bunch of randos... I personnaly don't see them as a top 4 team, specially with Lebron one year older Davis' crystal body. They could struggle to even make the POs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2023, 10:25 AM
I'm not seeing that much talent in that LA team. I mean this is the NBA, you got talent everywhere but behind James and Davis, there's a cliff. Reaves is nice and all but still a quality role player at best, then after Rui that's a bunch of randos... I personnaly don't see them as a top 4 team, specially with Lebron one year older Davis' crystal body. They could struggle to even make the POs.

:tu I hope you're right and they wallow in mediocrity.

R. DeMurre
10-25-2023, 10:49 AM
I'd love to see a study that shows the correlation between people who say they think Jokic is overrated, and how far off they are when trying to point out the country of Serbia on an unmarked map. I bet it's sky high.

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 10:54 AM
The league has to be pretty anxious seeing those games last night. We're not at the end of these teams' runs, but they're close. Actually, they might be completely at the end. But we're at the end of these players' careers. We're saying goodbye to all these guys, and they're American players. So, not only are the big ticket teams almost on the precipice, a generation is just about done and there's not a ton to replace them.

The teams themselves... Warriors just don't look scary, like you don't feel like Klay or even Curry can go off for a 30-40 point quarter. The Suns might have better stuck with Paul over Beale, but will hurt teams. The Lakers, boy, might have had downlow the worst offseason in the league. Like, I'm not sure why you get a Cam Reddish instead of keeping Lonnie Walker for the same money. Walker has serious issues, but he works hard, will pressure defenses. Reddish is just trash.

scott
10-25-2023, 12:53 PM
It's not even close tbh. Eubanks is only on the Suns cause he's a borderline NBA player who can be had for the minimum. Collins just signed for 17 million per year.

Flashbacks to the Collins signing thread where there were multiple PAGES of discussion of how Eubanks was better than Collins "and it's not even close". One of my friends here even said Eubanks is a top backup C in the NBA :lol

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 01:42 PM
There's really no comparison between Collins and Eubanks. Drew has dug out a very nice career for himself as an active, athletic and physical center who knows how to play. Collins, however, is looking like a Tier 2 center behind Jokic and Embiid. He's there with types like Poeltl, the dude in Chicago, the dude in New Orleans, Mitchell Robinson, Miles Turner, Ayton.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 02:57 PM
Lakers getting used as the ring patsies and then doing nothing about lol. You love to see it

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 03:40 PM
Warriors are too small to compete. Bigs have adapted to the new rules. One of the darkest periods in basketball is over.

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 05:27 PM

RC_Drunkford
10-25-2023, 06:54 PM
Flashbacks to the Collins signing thread where there were multiple PAGES of discussion of how Eubanks was better than Collins "and it's not even close". One of my friends here even said Eubanks is a top backup C in the NBA :lol

I honestly assumed Eubanks would be out of the NBA by now

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 06:55 PM
FUCK atlanta is beating hornets

this is terrible news for us, both as it relates to the hornets pick conveying, and ATL falling apart such that the 2025 pick is more promising

fuck fuck fuck

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 06:55 PM
:lol

emanueldavidginobili
10-25-2023, 07:05 PM
Franz Wagner is going to be a stud this year.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 07:14 PM
FUCK atlanta is beating hornets

this is terrible news for us, both as it relates to the hornets pick conveying, and ATL falling apart such that the 2025 pick is more promising

fuck fuck fuck
Give it at least 60 more games before you jump off a bridge. There is a lot of dysfunction in Atlanta that needs some time to simmer.

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 07:19 PM
Give it at least 60 more games before you jump off a bridge. There is a lot of dysfunction in Atlanta that needs some time to simmer.
hence my post right after. im obviously screwin around

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 07:22 PM
hence my post right after. im obviously screwin around
It's a point worthy of discussion. I want that pick as well. I sow discord with Atlanta fans as often as possible. :lol

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 07:28 PM
It's a point worthy of discussion. I want that pick as well. I sow discord with Atlanta fans as often as possible. :lol
:lol same

kept posting on their reddit after the draft about how Bufkin pick signals that they have a replacement in place for when Trae is inevitably traded

JPB
10-25-2023, 07:29 PM
Porzingis looking like a nice addition for the Celts if he can stay healthy.

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 08:19 PM
Brandon Miller has hit some nice shots in the 4th

Mark Williams having a nice impact late as well

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 08:27 PM
Trae Young is incapable of doing anything on offense that isn't an attempt to bait a whistle

even his 3PA are all leaning, flailing, etc

itzsoweezee
10-25-2023, 08:33 PM

I’ve been banned too (for calling someone a clown). Reddit is by far the lamest social networking platform

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:33 PM
Hornets start their "let's get the Spurs a draft pick" campaign with a win. Not sure Hawks are bad so much as mediocre. Went hero-ball down the end. Mark Williams is really nice, a floor-raiser.

Magic in a no contest over the Rockets at home. Only Houston players who seemed remotely ready for the pros were Dillon Brooks, Fred Van Vleet, and Alperen Sengun. This is going to be a long year for them.

BillMc
10-25-2023, 08:35 PM
Will this Knicks game never end. I want Spurs!!!!

timtonymanu
10-25-2023, 08:37 PM
:lol Dejounte Murray. Still not a franchise player.

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:38 PM
Immutable law of the universe that if the Spurs are playing the second game they will start late and/or the EC game gets to run over the start of the Spurs game. Unless the Spurs are playing the Lakers or Warriors.

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:38 PM
Fucking hell thse idiots won't end the game.

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:39 PM
Will this Knicks game never end. I want Spurs!!!!

This bullshit's going to go to OT. Damn I wish the Spurs would do local broadcasts when they're on ESPN.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 08:40 PM
These are the WORST FUCKING OFFICIALS. Jesus Christ.

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:41 PM
Oh just fucking play faggots, god damn EC games

Mr. Body
Immutable law of the universe that if the Spurs are playing the second game they will start late and/or the EC game gets to run over the start of the Spurs game. Unless the Spurs are playing the Lakers or Warriors.

Cuz these EC teams stop playing basketball and start farting in each other's faces every time down the court.

Obstructed_View
Way to fucking go, ESPN.

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:42 PM
Ball don't lie

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:43 PM
Two minutes game time with three TV timeouts left means this shit's going another 12 minutes.

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:45 PM
Lol Jason Tatum coughs up the ball in the clutch. Right where he left off.

baseline bum
Watch, they'll do an interview and a commercial break after this bullshit game too.

Obstructed_View
Tatum is just a cornucopia of poor decisions.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 08:46 PM
Watch, they'll do an interview and a commercial break after this bullshit game too.
I just said that to my kid. ESPNs dislike for the Spurs trumps their marketing.

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:46 PM
Tatum jumps without knowing what to do with the ball.

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 08:47 PM
If this game goes to OT i might actually off myself

JPB
10-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Lol Jason Tatum coughs up the ball in the clutch. Right where he left off.

34pt, 11rbs, 4ass 13/22. I'd take that. Why the hate.

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:48 PM
34pt, 11rbs, 4ass 13/32. I'd take that. Why the hate.

Thirty two shots to get 34 points is kind of ass. Thank God he had Porzingis to actually win the game for him. And the Knicks decided to miss 13 free throws.

JPB
10-25-2023, 08:49 PM
Thirty two shots to get 34 points is kind of ass. Thank God he had Porzingis to actually win the game for him. And the Knicks decided to miss 13 free throws.

I corrected, it's 13/22 (3/8 on 3) What's your take now?

Mr. Body
10-25-2023, 08:50 PM
I corrected, it's 13/22. What's your take now?

He's good. He's like Karl Malone level of clutch though.

Dude got the inbound and dribbled directly into a double team and cost his team two time outs. It's a cavalcade of bad decisions for him here.

JPB
10-25-2023, 08:52 PM
He's good. He's like Karl Malone level of clutch though.

Dude got the inbound and dribbled directly into a double team and cost his team two time outs. It's a cavalcade of bad decisions for him here.

That's indeed his main issue, great talent, not a killer mentality, too soft in the clutch.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 08:53 PM
34pt, 11rbs, 4ass 13/22. I'd take that. Why the hate.
Who doesn't love a quarterback who throws for 300 yards between the 20s?

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:54 PM
Motherfuckers can't even have the decency to start it on ESPN2, no fucking ESPN U instead :pctoss

baseline bum
10-25-2023, 08:55 PM
Two minutes game time with three TV timeouts left means this shit's going another 12 minutes.

12 minutes now it was

JPB
10-25-2023, 08:55 PM
Who doesn't love a quarterback who throws for 300 yards between the 20s?

As I said, lacks mamba instinct but come on guys, he's still a great player and I'd take him any day for the spurs. Listening to you, he's a scrub.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2023, 09:19 PM
As I said, lacks mamba instinct but come on guys, he's still a great player and I'd take him any day for the spurs. Listening to you, he's a scrub.
Lol mamba. At least he doesn't take seven three point shots in the last two minutes.

I never said he was a scrub, I said he makes terrible end of game decisions.

spurraider21
10-25-2023, 09:27 PM
Bane is primed for an all nba season but I’m not sure how memphis plans to score points until Ja is back

spurraider21
10-27-2023, 07:10 PM
Detroit has 15 turnovers in the first half but still up 7 against Charlotte :lol

spurraider21
10-27-2023, 08:30 PM
damn. late 13-4 run by detroit to pull away from charlotte

Mr. Body
10-27-2023, 11:44 PM
Charlotte is going to be pretty inconsistent all year.

Mr. Body
10-28-2023, 06:52 PM
Detroit's roster I may like better than the Rockets. Cunningham is a good floor general, Duren is a solid anchor, and their guard core is pretty athletic and dynamic (Ivey, Ausar). Both have good coaches but the Pistons just look like they have a better attack so far. Ausar looks better here than Amen (right now). They're up on Chicago early at home, but then the Bulls are mid at best.

Memphis is going to struggle without Ja. There's just not a lot on this team beyond role-players. Fortunately for them he's only out 25 games.

exstatic
10-28-2023, 07:45 PM
Detroit's roster I may like better than the Rockets. Cunningham is a good floor general, Duren is a solid anchor, and their guard core is pretty athletic and dynamic (Ivey, Ausar). Both have good coaches but the Pistons just look like they have a better attack so far. Ausar looks better here than Amen (right now). They're up on Chicago early at home, but then the Bulls are mid at best.

Memphis is going to struggle without Ja. There's just not a lot on this team beyond role-players. Fortunately for them he's only out 25 games.

That’s close to 1/3 of the season, assuming he doesn’t do a THIRD IG live with a gun.

Mr. Body
10-28-2023, 07:50 PM
That’s close to 1/3 of the season, assuming he doesn’t do a THIRD IG live with a gun.

They don't look good at all. If they suck it up I could see them shut the season down, really.

Mr. Body
10-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Poole and Kuzma are 9-31 and the Grizz are down by 15 anyway.

PrimeMinister
10-28-2023, 07:57 PM
pistons have a nice group and are bought in to monty 100%...been fun to watch em

Mr. Body
10-28-2023, 08:27 PM
Detroit is a fun team. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Bulls are on the end of a back-to-back, but then so were the Pistons (who beat down the Hornets last night). Chicago has to blow this up. LaVine had 51 and they weren't really close. Hard when two starters - Coby White and Patrick Williams were 0fer with no points between them. LaVine makes way too much per season but someone might grab him. Move an expiring DDR. Just pull the plug.

emanueldavidginobili
10-28-2023, 08:31 PM
Duren first 3 games, second season and still 19 years old.

23-15-5-2 blocks
17-14-4-4 blocks
14-17-3-2 blocks

TD 21
10-28-2023, 10:45 PM
The Pistons core four of Cunningham, Ivey, Duren and Thompson has a lot going for it (shot creation, positional size and athleticism), but there's a collective lack of shooting, it's unclear if Cunningham's ceiling is any higher than All-Star caliber and they somehow have a deficit of picks.

They need to clear out the C and guard logjam and add wings/forwards who can shoot.

objective
10-28-2023, 11:41 PM
Anything happening with Walker Kessler? Slightly fewer minutes and his numbers across the board are down significantly even per 36. 2 blocks in 3 games, Maybe averaging what, 5.6 pts and 5.6 rrebounds in 21 or 22 minutes a game?

RC_Drunkford
10-29-2023, 05:11 AM
Memphis is not only missing Ja, but Adams is out for the season and Brandon Clarke is injured as well

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-29-2023, 05:35 AM

afraid jokic is going to take wemby on a tour of clown town

KingKev
10-29-2023, 07:32 AM

23-15-5-2 blocks
17-14-4-4 blocks
14-17-3-2 blocks

A Duren archetype would be the perfect pairing for Wemby. I’m happy with the Sochan pick but I really liked Duren at the time

JPB
10-29-2023, 07:49 AM

23-15-5-2 blocks
17-14-4-4 blocks
14-17-3-2 blocks

He was my man over Sochan. Would fit nicely next to Victor.

exstatic
10-29-2023, 09:24 AM
afraid jokic is going to take wemby on a tour of clown town

First time he tries that little no jump fadeaway, it’s going into row 8.

R. DeMurre
10-29-2023, 09:57 AM
There's so much hand-wringing and drama in Chicago, and it's all for a team with three "stars" that are, at best, third options on a title team. There's no way that team composition could lead to big time success, but with all the talk surrounding their players you'd think they were right on the cusp of actually challenging for something significant. God, what a relief to be past the days of seeing DeRozan, Mills, and Forbes on the floor together, those days of knowing that a serious quality team was many years away.

TD 21
10-29-2023, 10:49 AM
A Duren archetype would be the perfect pairing for Wemby. I’m happy with the Sochan pick but I really liked Duren at the time

Only with a PG who can shoot.

Even then, as Wembanyama gets stronger and the team improves, the goal should be to increasingly get to him at C lineups, especially to close.

If Duren hits his ceiling, that'd be difficult to do without it causing an issue.

rascal
10-29-2023, 11:27 AM
Only with a PG who can shoot.

Even then, as Wembanyama gets stronger and the team improves, the goal should be to increasingly get to him at C lineups, especially to close.

If Duren hits his ceiling, that'd be difficult to do without it causing an issue.

Leave Wemby at PF. It worked with Duncan and Robinson. Duren was the better pick than Sochan with now adding Wemby.

objective
10-29-2023, 12:07 PM
Duren with the Spurs passers wouldn't look as good.

TD 21
10-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Leave Wemby at PF. It worked with Duncan and Robinson. Duren was the better pick than Sochan with now adding Wemby.

Duncan only primarily defended PF's until he was 30 because in Robinson, they already had one of the GOAT C's and it worked because they were two of the GOAT players and it was a different era.

But like all hybrid bigs, Duncan's skills were amplified and the offense in general was at it's best when he played with a stretch PF. That's the advantage of that archetype; being able to take on traditional big duties solo, so that they can be surrounded by as much skill as possible.

rascal
10-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Duncan only primarily defended PF's until he was 30 because in Robinson, they already had one of the GOAT C's and it worked because they were two of the GOAT players and it was a different era.

But like all hybrid bigs, Duncan's skills were amplified and the offense in general was at it's best when he played with a stretch PF. That's the advantage of that archetype; being able to take on traditional big duties solo, so that they can be surrounded by as much skill as possible.

Reality is both Duncan and Robinson switched back and forth playing Center and PF from possession to possession. I've watched old tape and sometimes Robinson would be down low and sometimes it would be Duncan. Both would be able to take it to the basket on short drives or short jump shots.

Spur|n|Austin
10-29-2023, 04:36 PM
r/nba bans people?!

jesterbobman
10-29-2023, 04:54 PM
Duren, Ausar Thompson and Detroit in general have looked really good.

Nuggets just absolutely smoked OKC. Jokic being able to physically overpower Chet could be an indication of how things go against Wemby (I know, Wemby is taller, I think he's better now even being 2 years younger and missing a year of experience...but they have similar weaknesses now in terms of...weakness).

exstatic
10-29-2023, 05:05 PM
Duren, Ausar Thompson and Detroit in general have looked really good.

Nuggets just absolutely smoked OKC. Jokic being able to physically overpower Chet could be an indication of how things go against Wemby (I know, Wemby is taller, I think he's better now even being 2 years younger and missing a year of experience...but they have similar weaknesses now in terms of...weakness).

The length will make all the difference. Şengün threw his body into Wemby, knocked him off his spot, and still got blocked

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 07:17 PM
guess this is just the designated thread for non-spurs games

poodle dominating milwaukee

DAF86
11-01-2023, 07:20 PM
Holmgren dominating. If he doesn't get injured I really think he's gonna steal RoY from Wemby. While the Spurs are experimenting, the Thunder just play to Chet's strengths.

objective
11-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Minnesota is like the one team that has a decent matchup with Denver but have nothing for other teams

objective
11-01-2023, 07:30 PM
Damn the refs might hate Rudy more than any other player in history.

Gets hammered and hit on the arms right in front of the refs, and I mean directly in front, and the refs don't even care

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Holmgren dominating. If he doesn't get injured I really think he's gonna steal RoY from Wemby. While the Spurs are experimenting, the Thunder just play to Chet's strengths.
OKC already has the infrastructure in place with an established all-nba lead guy in SGA, and Dort/Giddey with established roles in the starting unit.

chet comes in with a very defined role and one that he will exceed at. everything he does on offense is purely feeding off the team. they never just dump the ball to him and expect him to go to work.

chet is a legit threat in the DPOY race because of that

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 07:42 PM
Toronto has been pounding Milwaukee but still time. Raptors showing resilience coming out strong.

Houston recognizes they need a win vs. visiting Charlotte. Rockets are winless and Hornets would slide to 1-3. Houston's upcoming November schedule looks horrendous.

As a note, Ausar looks much more impactful so far than Amen.

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 07:43 PM
Holmgren could win ROY. He should have gone number 1 last year. He doesn't have to do nearly as much as Wembanyama and has a terrific, established team around him already.

DAF86
11-01-2023, 07:44 PM
OKC already has the infrastructure in place with an established all-nba lead guy in SGA, and Dort/Giddey with established roles in the starting unit.

chet comes in with a very defined role and one that he will exceed at. everything he does on offense is purely feeding off the team. they never just dump the ball to him and expect him to go to work.

chet is a legit threat in the DPOY race because of that

Having an actual all-star in the team should go against Chet's chances of winning RoY, since, in theory, should get less touches than Wemby. The difference comes from the Thunder actually playing Chet like they need to play him, while Pop is trying to see if Wemby can become a 7'5" Allen Iverson. It might prove to be more benefitial on the long run but, for this season, it is detrimental for Wemby's RoY aspirations.

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 07:47 PM
Not sure how the Hornets beat Atlanta, who have been pretty good so far. Hornets might be the worst team so far.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 07:49 PM
Having an actual all-star in the team should go against Chet's chances of winning RoY, since, in theory, should get less touches than Wemby. The difference comes from the Thunder actually playing Chet like they need to play him, while Pop is trying to see if Wemby can become a 7'5" Allen Iverson. It might prove to be more benefitial on the long run but, for this season, it is detrimental for Wemby's RoY aspirations.
no, it works in his favor since he's getting high quality touches where he's literally being asked to convert dunks or wide open three pointers (and he's actually a high% 3 point shooter unlike wemby). and he will get a lot of those opportunities with SGA being as good as he is

if he gets 10 touches, they are probably 10 very good looks. a lot of wemby's touches are asking him to create something out of nothing

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 07:50 PM
hornets playing like they want to keep that draft pick

The Truth #6
11-01-2023, 07:59 PM
Toronto has been pounding Milwaukee but still time. Raptors showing resilience coming out strong.

Houston recognizes they need a win vs. visiting Charlotte. Rockets are winless and Hornets would slide to 1-3. Houston's upcoming November schedule looks horrendous.

As a note, Ausar looks much more impactful so far than Amen.

Iirc the Spurs were intrigued by Ausar as a consolation. I kinda wish they had consolidated and moved up to get him but it likely would have been an overpay and not worth it, so a nonstarter.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:00 PM
PJ Washington and Mark Williams leading the charge to bring the hornets back within striking distance

Williams is really good

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:05 PM
Killian Hayes had some decent looking preseason stat lines but has resumed being one of the worst offensive players in the league

DAF86
11-01-2023, 08:08 PM
no, it works in his favor since he's getting high quality touches where he's literally being asked to convert dunks or wide open three pointers (and he's actually a high% 3 point shooter unlike wemby). and he will get a lot of those opportunities with SGA being as good as he is

if he gets 10 touches, they are probably 10 very good looks. a lot of wemby's touches are asking him to create something out of nothing

How many RoYs do you remember that played with an all-star? RoY usually goes to rookies that get a lot of looks. Quantity is usually rewarded over efficiency.

I'm seeing OKC's game, SGA hasn't set up Holmgren once. Chet's efficiency comes from playing the role he needs to play, unlike Wemby who is standing around in the perimeter 90% of the time.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:21 PM
How many RoYs do you remember that played with an all-star? RoY usually goes to rookies that get a lot of looks. Quantity is usually rewarded over efficiency.

I'm seeing OKC's game, SGA hasn't set up Holmgren once. Chet's efficiency comes from playing the role he needs to play, unlike Wemby who is standing around in the perimeter 90% of the time.
just recently i can think of Scottie Barnes

ROY winners typically are high picks who go to bad teams and have a chance to show out. OKC wasnt that bad last year, and chet is a #2 overall pick, so its not a typical circumstance that he finds himself as kind of a missing piece on what was already an ascending team

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:23 PM
I'm seeing OKC's game, SGA hasn't set up Holmgren once.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:24 PM
Chet's efficiency comes from playing the role he needs to play, unlike Wemby who is standing around in the perimeter 90% of the time.
he does some of that too, though most of his looks are from being fed a good look

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:27 PM
looking at bball reference for his first 4 games of the season, and 90% of Chet's 2 pointers have been assisted, and 100% of his 3 pointers have been

DAF86
11-01-2023, 08:47 PM
looking at bball reference for his first 4 games of the season, and 90% of Chet's 2 pointers have been assisted, and 100% of his 3 pointers have been

Chet's offensive game comes almost exclusively from spot ups and pick and rolls. That's why he so efficient. I don't see why Wemby can't get more looks like that, specially the pick and rolls. Sure, having an all-star PG might help a little, but you don't need all-stars to play an efficient pick and roll. Heck, the Spurs already do it, the problem is that Wemby is rarely the screen setter. Those looks are usually reserved for Collins and Bassey. You have a 7'5" guy, use him rolling to the basket.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:47 PM
Chet's offensive game comes almost exclusively from spot ups and pick and rolls. That's why he so efficient. I don't see why Wemby can't get more looks like that, specially the pick and rolls. Sure, having an all-star PG might help a little, but you don't need all-stars to play an efficient pick and roll. Heck, the Spurs already do it, the problem is that Wemby is rarely the screen setter. Those looks are usually reserved for Collins and Bassey. You have a 7'5" guy, use him rolling to the basket.
i dno man, go look at plays where wemby is the screen setter. he doesnt set hard screens, nor does he roll hard to the rim

DAF86
11-01-2023, 08:51 PM
i dno man, go look at plays where wemby is the screen setter. he doesnt set hard screens, nor does he roll hard to the rim

Screen and rolls were his most efficient way of scoring in the French league. He clearly can do it. He's just not doing it on the Spurs enough because he plays more on the perimeter here.

spurraider21
11-01-2023, 08:53 PM
lamelo has been awful today

and im not sure what nba traits Theo Maledon has

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 09:13 PM
Always great to see OKC lose. It's going to come less often.

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 09:28 PM
LAC have beat LAL eleven times in a row. Wow.

I expect the Lakers to get crushed tonight.

poopbox
11-01-2023, 10:59 PM
Where the "we should have signed Austin Reaves" people at ?

33% from 2 :lol

25% from 3 :rollin

rascal
11-01-2023, 11:02 PM
Holmgren could win ROY. He should have gone number 1 last year. He doesn't have to do nearly as much as Wembanyama and has a terrific, established team around him already.

Holmgren will be lucky if he finishes the year healthy.

Wemby's stats will improve as the season goes on. He's going to win ROTY and the NBA wants it that way. Wemby is highly marketable for the league.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2023, 02:44 AM
Where the "we should have signed Austin Reaves" people at ?

33% from 2 :lol

25% from 3 :rollin
The Lakers were going to match. If the Spurs were smart Reaves would be shooting 25 percent for twice the cap hit.

BillMc
11-02-2023, 03:34 AM
Good sign for Dallas. Luka has an off night, no Kyrie and yet they still win.

Vince Carter's ankle
11-02-2023, 08:51 AM
The Lakers were going to match. If the Spurs were smart Reaves would be shooting 25 percent for twice the cap hit.
regardless of the contract amount, now he would still receive the same 12 million
the difference will be noticeable in years 3 and 4

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2023, 10:34 AM

have you seen the screens Wemby is setting? They don't free up the ball handler at all

Obstructed_View
11-02-2023, 11:17 AM
regardless of the contract amount, now he would still receive the same 12 million
the difference will be noticeable in years 3 and 4
Exactly.

NASpurs
11-03-2023, 07:57 PM
The Bulls red court is atrocious. You'll finish the game with a migraine.

Mr. Body
11-03-2023, 08:12 PM
All these courts are garish.

JPB
11-03-2023, 08:40 PM

That's for the in-season tournament, they wanted to make sure people knew it was a "cup" game. We'll get that too in SA.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2023, 09:50 PM
The Denver one is awful as well.

buttsR4rebounding
11-03-2023, 10:02 PM
Is the Spur’s court going to be all black? That would be uglier than the city edition jerseys.

Mr. Body
11-03-2023, 10:05 PM
I don't get why the tournament is like six games in when most of the teams are still trying to figure themselves out. How does that make sense?

TrainOfThought5
11-03-2023, 10:10 PM

23-15-5-2 blocks
17-14-4-4 blocks
14-17-3-2 blocks

I like Sochan, but I really wanted Duren. I knew we would be tanking and Poetl wasn’t on the timeline. I don’t think Zollins is the future either.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2023, 10:10 PM
Is the Spur’s court going to be all black? That would be uglier than the city edition jerseys.
https://cdn.nba.com/manage/2023/10/sas-city-edition-court-1536x864.png

timtonymanu
11-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Everything looks like a bowling alley on the court

Mr. Body
11-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Orlando up 16 on Lakers at halftime. They're a fun team to watch. No superstars, but they like playing together. Lakers look like they have cement shoes and don't want to be there. Great to see.

Charlotte has eight on Indiana away. They just look disorganized and wild. Hope they can somehow win more games.

Houston jumping on Sacramento pretty hard early on at home. Look better organized and moving the ball around and hustling.

Mr. Body
11-04-2023, 07:38 PM
Charlotte coughs up 23 points in the first five minutes of the third. This team sucks.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Everything looks like a bowling alley on the court
Complete with bowling trophies.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2023, 08:07 PM
The Lakers and Rockets are already shortening up their rotations. Yikes.

Mr. Body
11-04-2023, 08:16 PM
The Lakers and Rockets are already shortening up their rotations. Yikes.

Lakers are missing a couple guys like Vanderbilt, but their bench is pretty bad. Having to start Reddish - yeesh.

You'd think Houston could put Bullock or Jeff Green in there. Amen is out with an ankle or something.

TD 21
11-05-2023, 11:35 AM
The Lakers simultaneously had about as good an off season as they realistically could have had and about the most overrated ever.

Hachimura and Vincent had never approached the level they showed in the playoffs, Prince has never been the defender he looks the part of, Wood has always been empty calories and Hayes and Reddish are replacement players.

They still can't shoot and are overly reliant on Davis defensively and James offensively.

The Rockets also can't shoot and the collective youth doesn't appear to have taken a step forward.

Fizziksman
11-05-2023, 11:46 AM
The Lakers simultaneously had about as good an off season as they realistically could have had and about the most overrated ever.

Hachimura and Vincent had never approached the level they showed in the playoffs, Prince has never been the defender he looks the part of, Wood has always been empty calories and Hayes and Reddish are replacement players.

They still can't shoot and are overly reliant on Davis defensively and James offensively.

The Rockets also can't shoot and the collective youth doesn't appear to have taken a step forward.

Per par for the Rockets, AAU players are falling behind European young players.

spurraider21
11-14-2023, 07:27 PM
today is last game of miles bridges' suspension before he heroically comes back a changed man... a leader of men, and guides the hornets to the #8 seed and delivers us a first round pick

tho they'll probably lose and drop to 3-7. theyre starting Theo Maledon, literally one of the most useless players in the nba, due to injuries to Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, and Brandon Miller

ace3g
11-14-2023, 11:14 PM
0-0 game

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-8e2iJXIAA3XEO?format=jpg&name=medium