PDA

View Full Version : Is LeBron sizing up Nike for potential deal?

KoriEllis
03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
The battle between shoe goliaths Nike and adidas for high school basketball phenom LeBron James has yielded little news of late. That was, until James' St. Vincent-St. Mary team took the floor Tuesday night in Nike sneakers for the first time.

The switch fueled growing speculation that James -- expected to be the first pick in the upcoming NBA draft -- will sign a lucrative endorsement deal with Nike.

But on the day of that game, when asked by ESPN.com if his appearance in the upcoming Nike-sponsored Jordan Capital Classic on April 17 in Washington meant he was closer to signing with Nike or the Jordan brand, James' answer did not suggest a deal with either brand was imminent.

"Me and Michael are real cool," James said. "I know that whatever choice I make, he will respect the choice. I'm not putting Jordan ahead of anybody."

St. Vincent-St. Mary's shoes and apparel contract with adidas expired in January, Irish coach Dru Joyce II said. The school at this time does not have a contract with any shoe company, he said.

Nike sent the shoes to the school this week, and the Irish wore them -- with "Irish" written on the shoe tongues -- in their 80-48 district playoffs semifinal victory over Hoban. James had been the only Irish player to occasionally wear Nikes since adidas began supplying shoes and apparel to the school two years ago.

"We may not wear them again," Joyce told reporters Tuesday. "We still have a gentlemen's agreement with adidas."

Sonny Vaccaro, director of basketball operations for adidas, said he knew the Irish were going to wear the Nikes at some point and said he has no problem with it.

"We have enjoyed a great relationship with coach Joyce, LeBron and the entire program," Vaccaro told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "It's no big deal. There is nothing malicious about it."

Last month, Vaccaro told ESPN.com: "I'm not going to get the kid, but I'm going to make him one of the richest kids in America.... (Nike representatives) have been living in Akron so long they will have to pay Ohio taxes."

Vaccaro told the Plain Dealer he expects James to make his decision public within 45 days of the final game the Irish play.

Information from Darren Rovell, ESPN.com's sports business reporter, was used in this report

espn.go.com/nba/news/2003...19399.html (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0306/1519399.html)

freak
03-06-2003, 08:22 PM
i think both companies could be setting themselves up for a big loss.

is he really worth all that much.

i don't want lebron james shoes anyways, i would prefer tmacs or tim duncan.

not just some high school phenom.

what if he's just a star player, not an awesome one.

like allan houston with less of a shot and a lot more verticle.

if he does sign with a company, it should be addidas because they are cooler.

nike is going out of style.

there only hope is retro.