PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Bowen stops Iverson cold in third

Kori Ellis
12-04-2005, 03:47 AM
Spurs notebook: Bowen stops Iverson cold in third

Web Posted: 12/04/2005 12:16 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120405.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.bowen.3547cb4.html

For the second time in five days, Bruce Bowen spent the evening guarding the NBA's leading scorer.

Allen Iverson, who entered Saturday's game averaging a league-best 34 points, finished with 37 against the Spurs on 32 shots. Bowen, however, helped the Spurs take control in the third quarter when he held Iverson without a basket.

Tony Parker opened the game on Iverson before giving way to Bowen in the second quarter.

"I can use my length and I've played against him a lot more than Tony," Bowen said. "I played with (Iverson in Philadelphia). I used to guard him in practice, so I kind of know him a little better than Tony does.

"It's just a matter of getting a hand up on each and every shot and giving him enough space. I feel like if I give him space, I can slide or beat him to a certain spot."

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was the league's top scorer before Bowen helped limit him to 25 points on 9-of-33 shooting Tuesday. In part because of Bowen's performance, Bryant fell below Iverson for the scoring lead.

In between chasing Bryant and Iverson, Bowen also held Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki to 14 points Thursday on 3-of-13 shooting.

"I think he's the most talented defender in the league in the sense that he guards more different kinds of players than I think anybody does," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You go from guarding the Nowitzkis to point guards to (shooting) guards, to (small forwards). I don't know how many people can do that. He's incredible."

Iverson said Bowen's reputation as one of the league's best defenders helped him Saturday.

"They honestly let him play," Iverson said. "They let him be as aggressive from the beginning to the end of the game. They just let him get away with a lot of stuff."

Bowen didn't see anything special in his weeklong performance.

"It's what I do," he said. "I enjoy it."

Ankle shelves Ginobili again: As Manu Ginobili walked onto the court early Saturday evening to warm up, Tim Duncan greeted him as he would a long-lost friend.

Unfortunately for Duncan and the Spurs, Ginobili didn't stay for long.

Ginobili did a little bit of running and shooting before the game, but that was the extent of his activity. His right foot was too sore to allow him to play for the second consecutive game.

"We'll see how he does for Orlando," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

The Spurs play the Magic on Monday in Orlando.

Ginobili was hurt in the fourth quarter Tuesday against the Los Angeles Lakers. He underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed a bone bruise on his ankle.

Ginobili's absence has allowed Michael Finley to start the past two games and receive more minutes playing with Tim Duncan.

"Players need minutes to get in rhythm," Popovich said. "If any good is going to come from an injury, it's that other people have an opportunity to step up."

Mr. Forceful: Tim Duncan quietly finished with 16 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and three blocks.

But he got everyone's attention with two of his better dunks of the season.

Early in the second half, he drove into the lane and dunked over the head of 76ers center Samuel Dalembert.

In the fourth quarter, Duncan spun by Chris Webber on the baseline for a two-handed slam.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2005, 04:05 AM
any clips of the duncans dunks?

SequSpur
12-04-2005, 04:10 AM
iverson lit the spurs up and somehow bowen gets credit for his defense???

if iverson had some help tonight, the spurs would've lost this game.

T Park
12-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Yes, because he took 32 shots to get the points dumbass.

Thats, called, BAD.

Moron.

Kori Ellis
12-04-2005, 04:42 AM

Iverson had 18 points in the first half with Parker on him in the first quarter.

In the 3rd quarter (when the Spurs turned the game around) Iverson didn't score a basket. That was critical to the turnaround.

Most of the rest of his points were in garbage time.

No one is going to stop AI, but to shut him down in the 3rd was crucial to the Spurs winning.

Get a booster chair so you can see the court next time, and maybe you'll understand the concept. :angel

ZStomp
12-04-2005, 04:54 AM
Get a booster chair so you can see the court next time, and maybe you'll understand the concept. :angel

:lmao!!!!!!

GOODfellas
12-04-2005, 05:19 AM

Iverson is one of the best shooters ever to play the game. Without a tenacious defense, AI will put up 50 on you. "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him". Give Bowen credit for the 3rd quarter shutdown.

GOODfellas

freemeat
12-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Bowen is da shit. As most players get older, it seems as though their productivity drops. As Bowen gets older, it seems as though his opponent's productivity drops. I love that guy, and it seems as though he may steal that crown that Ben Wallace has worn for the last two seasons: Best Defender.

PS. I'm happy to note that last season at 12-3, we were pleased with a fast start. And won a championship. I'm extatic that at 13-3, Pop is talking about how he's gonna start getting after the team if they don't start picking it up, as that record is a dissappointment (while #1 in the West). I look forward to what comes next.

MI21
12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
3-13 and 9-33 and 15-32

27-78 for 3 of the leagues very best scorers.

Bowen is amazing.

SequSpur
12-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes, because he took 32 shots to get the points dumbass.
Thats, called, BAD.
Moron.

Dipshit, he shot 47%. You really are stupid. BTW, the Spurs shot 48%.

I would credit the point margin swing to Brent Barry and Tony Parker going off and the fact that Webber was 4 of 16.

Allen Iverson destroyed the Spurs for 37, with no assistance from his teammates.

Just like Gil Arenas did for the Wizards whom Bowen was guarding. Bowen made the Wizards look like NBA finalists. Which oh, by the way are below .500.

Those were nice glasses you had on last night Kori, were they the Black and Silver Ray Ban classics?

Bowen gets credit for nothing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Did you watch the game? He got most of his points against Tony and then later in the fourth in garbage time.

I don't even know if a booster chair will help your ignorant ass.

T Park
12-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Get a booster chair so you can see the court next time, and maybe you'll understand the concept

OWNED

Nice job Kori and Aggie.

Only a clueless oompa like Sequ can rip Bruce Bowen.

ambchang
12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Pretty obvious you didn't watch the game then, SequSpur.
BTW, Bowen for MVP!

Solid D
12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
iversonlit the spurs up and somehow bowen gets credit for his defense???

:rollin one of your better efforts!

Obstructed_View
12-04-2005, 03:48 PM
if iverson had two basketballs tonight, the spurs would've lost this game.

Fixed it for ya.

Eric Cartman
12-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Bowen is schweet, just like my potpie!

Solid D
12-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Bowen gets credit for nothing.

Beer-run in 3rd Qtr.?

Chef
12-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Bowen is schweet, just like my potpie!

Not too much fatboy. If you wanna move like bruce, you gotta eat right. Discipline Childrun.

SequSpur
12-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Did you watch the game? He got most of his points against Tony and then later in the fourth in garbage time.

I don't even know if a booster chair will help your ignorant ass.

32 at the end of the 3rd.

Garbage when?

T Park
12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
You still wont give up, even when its pointed out how much of a moron you are.

leemajors
12-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Iverson is one of the best shooters ever to play the game. Without a tenacious defense, AI will put up 50 on you. "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him". Give Bowen credit for the 3rd quarter shutdown.

GOODfellas

iverson is one of the best scorers to ever play the game. his isn't a great jumpshooter by shooting %, he scores so much by sheer volume of shots.

timvp
12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
32 at the end of the 3rd.

Garbage when?

He didn't have 32 at the end of the 3rd.

He had 20 at the end of the 3rd and 17 points in the 4th quarter.

18 in the first half (a lot of those against Parker). Two points (on free throws) in the 3rd. And 17 in the 4th.

What game did you watch?

--Kori

T Park
12-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Damn,

Owned by Kori, AGAIN.

TOP-CHERRY
12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
any clips of the duncans dunks?
Only pictures:

http://spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/051203/gallery1/051203_04.jpg

http://spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/051203/gallery1/051203_06.jpg

TOP-CHERRY
12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Better yet:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap_236_phisas.asx&lc1=NBA.com&lc2=teamsites

AI-square
12-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Bowen = Awesomeness

TheWriter
12-05-2005, 03:08 AM
He didn't have 32 at the end of the 3rd.

He had 20 at the end of the 3rd and 17 points in the 4th quarter.

18 in the first half (a lot of those against Parker). Two points (on free throws) in the 3rd. And 17 in the 4th.

What game did you watch?

--Kori

http://www.owned.com/Owned_Pictures/tysonkidowned.jpg

Duncanoypi
12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
hahaha...is sequ=mouse?