PDA

View Full Version : Did PATFO dodged bullet by not offering 100mil to Austin Reaves??

spursparker9
10-27-2023, 10:52 AM
He is averaging 12 pts 5 reb 2 asts....after helping team USA get 4th place in the world cup. :lol

spurraider21
10-27-2023, 11:00 AM
now this is an Austin Reaves thread that Mr. Body can get behind

ismael-robert
10-27-2023, 11:37 AM
We would only need him to outplay Sochan or Jones...at this point not asking for much

poopbox
10-27-2023, 11:42 AM
We don't have AD or Bron...Reaves would be Forbes status on this team.

John B
10-27-2023, 11:47 AM
Reaves is a nice glue player, scrappy and I think Pop would love him. But does he push the needle? If Sochan pans out at PG, he would be. And that’s what this “development” season is about. It’s not really about the record, but getting these guys get better playing together. I believe Pop is convinced that he can develop Sochan into a big defensive PG like a Ben Simmons with better offense. Pop knows there’s time while Wemby gets to NBA body. So paying too much for Reaves wasn’t it, because it would’ve cost more for Lakers not to match.

BacktoBasics
10-27-2023, 11:57 AM
This guy is on a price appropriate contract. 100 million was and still is asinine.

John B
10-27-2023, 12:08 PM
This guy is on a price appropriate contract. 100 million was and still is asinine.

That’s not how much Spurs would’ve paid to snatch him off Lakers.

KobesAchilles
10-27-2023, 01:03 PM
If the Lakers were ready to match any offer like Mr. Body screamed 6000 times, then we didn't dodge any bullet. We just took away the cannon the Lakers were going to use to shoot themselves and replaced it with a water pistol. If anything we helped their franchise going forward.

And Reaves being the kick out person alongside Osman, Vassell, and Collins would've been a nice addition for our bigman. Whether or not that is worth 25 million, probably not.

Spurs Homer
10-27-2023, 01:05 PM
i have never seen as much love and wasted threads on a scrub on spurstalk in decades...

dont get the infatuation with this scrub at all...

it seems the most threads all time will end up;

1) wemby
2) kawhitter
3) austin scrubly reaves

DesignatedT
10-27-2023, 01:14 PM
Yes

Obstructed_View
10-27-2023, 02:01 PM
No, because the Lakers would have matched. It was a move to damage the Lakers.

MultiTroll
10-27-2023, 02:05 PM
Yes.
Overated.

Is set up by Lebron.

scott
10-27-2023, 02:19 PM
Can't wait to see who our next Corey Maggette/Jermaine O'Neal/John Collins/Austin Reaves will be - players who don't become Spurs, and probably never had much of a chance of being Spurs, but ST.com obsesses over for years.

heyheymymy
10-27-2023, 03:03 PM
Reeves to SA was always just a chimera. A mirage.

There was no middle ground between too low and LA will match, too high and you overpaid

ambchang
10-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Can't wait to see who our next Corey Maggette/Jermaine O'Neal/John Collins/Austin Reaves will be - players who don't become Spurs, and probably never had much of a chance of being Spurs, but ST.com obsesses over for years.

You missed Scola and Sengun.

spurraider21
10-27-2023, 03:21 PM
You missed Scola and Sengun.
even though he eventually joined, i would add Pau Gasol. when he left the lakers in free agency, the spurs were one of the many teams throwing the MLE at him, and it was being reported that he favored the spurs over any of those situations.

bulls ended up opening up space for a larger than MLE offer by using amnesty on boozer and signed pau. those ended up being the last of Pau's really strong years.

woulda helped our chances in 14-15 for sure when we lost to the clips, though also meant we wouldnt have gotten aldridge who gave us several outstanding seasons

also remember Brad Miller rumors for a couple years. other obvious inclusion is Kidd

Mugen
10-27-2023, 04:35 PM
even though he eventually joined, i would add Pau Gasol. when he left the lakers in free agency, the spurs were one of the many teams throwing the MLE at him, and it was being reported that he favored the spurs over any of those situations.

bulls ended up opening up space for a larger than MLE offer by using amnesty on boozer and signed pau. those ended up being the last of Pau's really strong years.

woulda helped our chances in 14-15 for sure when we lost to the clips, though also meant we wouldnt have gotten aldridge who gave us several outstanding seasons

also remember Brad Miller rumors for a couple years. other obvious inclusion is Kidd

Add AK47 and Jermaine O'Neal tbh.

kht
10-27-2023, 04:45 PM
I wanted Poole and Herro.

james evans
10-28-2023, 02:49 AM
hell yeah they dodged a bullet. I never wanted dude. I have no idea why spurs fans believed in that fools gold. He is who he is. a decent 4th or option at best

Fireball
10-28-2023, 03:52 AM
I wanted Poole and Herro.

:rollin

spurraider21
03-26-2024, 09:41 PM
so after a rough start to the year (only making about 31% of his 3's through the end of november)...

Reaves now averaging 16/4/5.5 on 49/38/86 splits

has 29/14/11 against the Bucks today sans lebron including the big go-ahead 3 pointer at the end of OT

MultiTroll
03-26-2024, 10:07 PM
has 29/14/11 against the Bucks today sans lebron including the big go-ahead 3 pointer at the end of OT
Ya after the Coc Rivers team completely flopped on a defensive switch, very impressive how he made that three pointer with no one within 15 feet and no one running at him either. Empty gym shot.

Look i like how he plays, but get him out of Disney ABC Laker Stern uniform and watch the FTA and other b.s. that comes with it and he's above average, that's it.

scott
03-27-2024, 12:26 AM
Where is MannyIsGod? I don't even remember what his bet was or who it was against, but I'm curious if he is winning it.

Proxy
03-27-2024, 01:37 AM
the FO is still in the positive from giving us James White like we asked for

MannyIsGod
03-27-2024, 01:41 AM
Where is MannyIsGod (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=76)? I don't even remember what his bet was or who it was against, but I'm curious if he is winning it.

Its going to be hard for me to lose it. The bet was to average at least 30 mpg and play at least 50 games. I think they had to not be one of the 10 worst records in the NBA too.

lefty
03-27-2024, 08:40 AM
AR is a good player, but not worth that money

buttsR4rebounding
03-27-2024, 08:51 AM

Exactly. But the Lakers would have been paying it. They had to match.

MultiTroll
03-27-2024, 09:23 AM
Exactly. But the Lakers would have been paying it. They had to match.
Why didn't any other team offer more thus drive the price up for the Lakers?

Were they ordered by the league not to?

Or is it just bad karma?

Tryin to think if teams have done this in the past just to jack w other teams.

pad300
03-27-2024, 10:06 AM

Dunno, that's less than we are paying Devin ($100/4yrs vs $150/5yrs), and you can argue that Reaves has been better (especially once he got out of that big shooting slump in October and November). He'd fit quite nicely into the lineup either in place of Tre, or by bumping Devin up to SF (benching Champagnie), and Reaves at SG...
The lack of activity/interest on FA's this past summer does fit in with my theory that PAFTO tanked a second season to put more talent around Wemby.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-27-2024, 10:35 AM
Dunno, that's less than we are paying Devin ($100/4yrs vs $150/5yrs), and you can argue that Reaves has been better (especially once he got out of that big shooting slump in October and November). He'd fit quite nicely into the lineup either in place of Tre, or by bumping Devin up to SF (benching Champagnie), and Reaves at SG...
The lack of activity/interest on FA's this past summer does fit in with my theory that PAFTO tanked a second season to put more talent around Wemby.

Vassell’s contract is 5/135. His incentives are such that it’s incredibly difficult to hit and if he does you’d gladly pay him.

As for Reaves, he’s a good player and he deserved a better contract than the one he got.

spurraider21
03-27-2024, 10:47 AM

Or is it just bad karma?

Putting the offer would have put cap space on hold. Needed the money to get a couple of throwaway SRPs for Osman and Payne

JPB
03-27-2024, 10:48 AM

They tanked by asking Sochan to airball his wide open 3s, Zollins to regress to stiff status, Branham or Blake to stay lost on the court and everybody to ignore Victor on offense to have a shot at (maybe) a future role player... That's one master, collective plan.

spurraider21
03-27-2024, 10:48 AM
Didn’t have to offer the full 100 mil. He signed for 4/52 so coulda just thrown 75-80 which he’d take and worse case the lakers match it and pay more than they are now. Instead he’s on a bargain contract

pad300
03-27-2024, 10:59 AM
They tanked by asking Sochan to airball his wide open 3s, Zollins to regress to stiff status, Branham or Blake to stay lost on the court and everybody to ignore Victor on offense to have a shot at (maybe) a future role player... That's one master, collective plan.

The individual players have no part in a tank. A tank is when management/coaching is making decisions that are intended to get less wins than could be achieved with a given roster. Some obvious examples: Point Sochan, minimizing Wemby's minutes whenever there was an opportunity, not trying to bring in FA's to improve the team...

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-27-2024, 10:59 AM
Putting the offer would have put cap space on hold. Needed the money to get a couple of throwaway SRPs for Osman and Payne

Timing-wise the Spurs used that money to acquire the 2030 unprotected swap from Dallas.

Bruno
03-27-2024, 11:30 AM
What's weird about Reaves this season is that his on-off stat has gone from great to awful. Last year he was +8.7 and this year he is -4.5.

When looking closely the issue is on the defensive end with Lakers being significantly worst when he is on the court. I don't know (nor care) if it's mostly because he is a defensive liability or if it's on the teammates he is pared with.

spurraider21
03-27-2024, 11:40 AM
What's weird about Reaves this season is that his on-off stat has gone from great to awful. Last year he was +8.7 and this year he is -4.5.

When looking closely the issue is on the defensive end with Lakers being significantly worst when he is on the court. I don't know (nor care) if it's mostly because he is a defensive liability or if it's on the teammates he is pared with.
yeah last year he held up as a reasonable defender per the advanced stats, but totally fell off this year. not sure if its a consequence of him just getting targeted more, but on that team, i cant imagine "try picking on the unathletic white guy" was a new revelation this season

JeffDuncan
03-27-2024, 01:29 PM

He started 22 games last year, this year, 47. So he’s been playing a lot more against starters. That has to be a factor.

lefty
03-27-2024, 02:45 PM
Agreed

Devin is better defensively though

Tyronn Lue
03-27-2024, 03:22 PM
Brian Billy Beane Wright can make up the points in the aggregate. If Vassell was playing with AD and Lebron he'd probably do ok.

MultiTroll
03-27-2024, 05:03 PM

Or is it just bad karma?

Didn’t have to offer the full 100 mil. He signed for 4/52 so coulda just thrown 75-80 which he’d take and worse case the lakers match it and pay more than they are now. Instead he’s on a bargain contract
Again, why didn't the Spurs or any other team?
Was well known the Flamers wanted to re sign Reeves.

Make some phone calls and find out please.

spurraider21
03-27-2024, 05:07 PM
Timing-wise the Spurs used that money to acquire the 2030 unprotected swap from Dallas.
nah...

if they offered reaves 15-20 mil per year, they could have done so just by waiting on re-signing Tre for ~9 and not making the Payne trade at that time. the spurs had a lot of cap room to play with

Splits
03-28-2024, 09:09 AM
nah...

if they offered reaves 15-20 mil per year, they could have done so just by waiting on re-signing Tre for ~9 and not making the Payne trade at that time. the spurs had a lot of cap room to play with

put those hands firmly around your ankles, and I'll give you Payne and some cap room to play with

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-28-2024, 11:26 AM
Brian Billy Beane Wright can make up the points in the aggregate. If Vassell was playing with AD and Lebron he'd probably do ok.

I like the Billy Beane reference. Totally appropriate in Wright’s case. :tu

koriwhat
03-28-2024, 02:35 PM
Dudes too good on 2k24 though... :lol

BacktoBasics
04-15-2024, 01:38 PM
Its going to be hard for me to lose it. The bet was to average at least 30 mpg and play at least 50 games. I think they had to not be one of the 10 worst records in the NBA too.

Get with me for payment

lefty
04-15-2024, 03:55 PM
Dudes too good on 2k24 though... :lol
shiiiiiit
My TV dieded a few months ago, haven't replaced it yet because I'm not watching that much tv tbh

But I haven't played 2k in a while though :cry
:lol still on 2k20

Mr. Body
04-15-2024, 06:03 PM

??

He gets picked apart on defense.

Mr. Body
04-15-2024, 06:07 PM
If we signed Reaves to a contract just to monkey with LAL, we couldn't have done the Bullock trade.

MannyIsGod
04-15-2024, 06:12 PM
??

He gets picked apart on defense.

This dude having a meltdown and crying himself to sleep over Spurs fans not being head over heals with the utter defensive black hole that is Branham is saying that REAVES gets picked apart on defense? His DBPM is slightly negative and he was positive last year. I can only imagine what you would say if Branham was as good a defender as Reaves.

MannyIsGod
04-15-2024, 06:13 PM
If we signed Reaves to a contract just to monkey with LAL, we couldn't have done the Bullock trade.

This is wrong, but even if it was right, OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

MannyIsGod
04-15-2024, 06:15 PM
My apologies; quoting Mr. Body and saying "this is wrong" is pretty fucking redundant. MY BAD.

BacktoBasics
04-16-2024, 09:26 AM
My apologies; quoting Mr. Body and saying "this is wrong" is pretty fucking redundant. MY BAD.

I owe you 200. Please PM cashapp, Venmo or PayPal info. I always pay my debts.

MannyIsGod
04-16-2024, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to say that BTB paid his bet without me even having to ask. Stand up move.

onechance87
04-16-2024, 01:23 PM
we should of overpaid him just to mess with lakers salary.Instead we overpaid collins,Great front office we got.

BacktoBasics
04-16-2024, 02:41 PM
we should of overpaid him just to mess with lakers salary.Instead we overpaid collins,Great front office we got.

His contract is appropriate. No reason to tie him up in an over pay. I’d guess LA woulda walked away from a 80 million plus offer.

onechance87
04-16-2024, 05:16 PM
His contract is appropriate. No reason to tie him up in an over pay. I’d guess LA woulda walked away from a 80 million plus offer.

la would of NOT walked away.They where saying they would match any amount offered.The main goal was to force la to use more their
cap on austin reeves so it would be harder for them to sign future free agents.

BacktoBasics
04-16-2024, 06:55 PM
la would of NOT walked away.They where saying they would match any amount offered.The main goal was to force la to use more their
cap on austin reeves so it would be harder for them to sign future free agents.

They can say anything they want to run perspective teams off. I really don’t think they match 80 but perhaps.

There’s no way they would have matched 100 million dollars plus deal.

Either way I’m fine not having 80+ tied up in Reaves.

Again, his current contract is performance appropriate.