PDA

View Full Version : Collins a huge defensive liability on the Blocks

SpursGenius
10-28-2023, 02:07 AM
The guy can’t keep position on the blocks and constantly gets pushed into the restricted area. Dude also never comes out to help on drives. Getting a layup on him is easy even for 6’2 guards like vanfleet. Rockets jag center (maybe not jag anymore) are abused him to the point Udoka went at him entire 4th and ot. Spurs had to eventually double down and it worked but damn. He sucked against Dallas too with interior defense. I seriously thought we needed Mamuk to muscle Rockets center.

Collins has some good post moves but that’s it. He bricked 7 threes tonight. Took more threes than anyone on the team. Also had numerous turnovers on pick and roll. The guy always has a huge begat plus minus.

spursparker9
10-28-2023, 04:14 AM
His rebounding, shot blocking and defensive capability is being exposed.

Can we try get Poetl back? He is a legit presence under the rim and can pass too.

mookie2001
10-28-2023, 04:38 AM
One of the worst defensive games I've ever seen. Sengun was doing some BDSM stuff on his ass all night long.

not to mention seven missed threes and 4 awful turnovers.

John B
10-28-2023, 05:26 AM

Can we try get Poetl back? He is a legit presence under the rim and can pass too.

Poeltl is the better defender but has no heart. I’m sure Collins will work hard to get better defensively

PuzzBeterson
10-28-2023, 05:30 AM
Might be time to see more Bassey or even Barlow next to Wemby.

John B
10-28-2023, 05:37 AM
Ultimately Wemby will get stronger and should help defensively in the post. And pulling Collins will stun his development. Collins has the dog in him. I think he will work harder to be better defensively

Ocotillo
10-28-2023, 05:55 AM
Even at this young age, Sengun has always been crafty on the offensive side of court. Collins had a bad game and won't typically go 0 for 7 from three. On to the next game.

spursparker9
10-28-2023, 06:56 AM
Sengun and Chet has destroyed Zach thus far.

Sengun is looking like 2nd coming of Jokic tbh

ismael-robert
10-28-2023, 09:40 AM
And ivey

TrainOfThought5
10-28-2023, 10:24 AM
The guy can’t keep position on the blocks and constantly gets pushed into the restricted area. Dude also never comes out to help on drives. Getting a layup on him is easy even for 6’2 guards like vanfleet. Rockets jag center (maybe not jag anymore) are abused him to the point Udoka went at him entire 4th and ot. Spurs had to eventually double down and it worked but damn. He sucked against Dallas too with interior defense. I seriously thought we needed Mamuk to muscle Rockets center.

Collins has some good post moves but that’s it. He bricked 7 threes tonight. Took more threes than anyone on the team. Also had numerous turnovers on pick and roll. The guy always has a huge begat plus minus.

he’s the tre jones of centers. A backup masquerading as a starter. Another position is desperate need of an upgrade.

sfernald
10-28-2023, 10:25 AM
They need to do something. Collins is fucking awful. He was the number one defensive reason they almost lost the game. I mean I wish they had put Wemby on Sengun for a few plays to see if his length could shut him down. That’s what your best player has to do, take the best player when he’s hot. I know he has the Kobe mindset in there. Pop has to bring it out of him. I really wish they had picked up one of these great young centers in the last few drafts. Duren, Lively, Kessler. I think Collins is their number one problem from making the playoffs this year. Sorry Collins fans but he sucks.

TrainOfThought5
10-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Poeltl is the better defender but has no heart. I’m sure Collins will work hard to get better defensively

poeltl was a top ten center.

John B
10-28-2023, 10:31 AM
Sengun and Chet has destroyed Zach thus far.

Sengun is looking like 2nd coming of Jokic tbh

Yup knowing Spurs could’ve drafted Sengun instead sucks. Even Jalen Johnson has been playing well

duncan2150
10-28-2023, 10:45 AM
I totally agree with y'all about Collins defense.he's a weak low post Defender but he can do a lot of things offensively

That said we need some lineups without HIM to close games and next year we also need a good defensive C

Dverde
10-28-2023, 10:59 AM

It would be epic to get Toronto to trade him back after we traded him back to them.

Dverde
10-28-2023, 11:03 AM
I think Collins is fine. He fights on every possession and has never been a great defender. I think he got that contract more for his offense capabilities. I think he needs to rebound more and maybe having him in the paint instead of the three point line could improve that.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2023, 11:05 AM
Vintage Game 2 win SpursTalk.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2023, 11:06 AM
This. I have far more faith in Collins' ability than I do Jak's heart.

Mr. Body
10-28-2023, 11:16 AM
Jesus Christ either settle down or just jump off a fucking bridge already.

John B
10-28-2023, 11:17 AM
This. I have far more faith in Collins' ability than I do Jak's heart.

Yep Zach is only 1 year removed from being hurt. He barely begun playing healthy and should just keep improving

poopbox
10-28-2023, 11:18 AM
Perimeter defense was so bad and rotations where so awful Collins was out of position and covering for other players all night. As the perimeter defense gets better he will be better defensively.

Collins will be fine. And he just signed a two year extension...he not going anywhere unless the spurs can get a no doubt about it upgrade over him.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2023, 11:20 AM
Yep Zach is only 1 year removed from being heart. He barely begun playing healthy and should just keep improving
Maybe. I love his grit and his effort but he's pretty near his ceiling imo. In the long run, he's going to be passed in the rotation by both Bassey and Barlow. Hopefully before the trade deadline.

scott
10-28-2023, 02:45 PM
Collins appears to struggle against certain types of C, namely upper tier physical ones (and Lively, who hasn’t yet proven to be that, but looks to have the stuff) who can body him on the blocks and destroy him on the boards. This isn’t going to be every C he goes up against, but I’m surprised we didn’t see more Bassey while Collins was getting abused. Seems like Bass would be more suitable against this type of C.

ismael-robert
10-28-2023, 02:46 PM

Jesus says there's no bridges in heaven n hes pretty chill

BackHome
10-28-2023, 03:10 PM

Yeah, all of a sudden we get the number 1 pick and all these people come out of the wood work bitching that we are not going to win a championship this year. I kind of liked it when all and bandwagon spurs fans left after we started to be a lottery team ...........those where the good old days...

rascal
10-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Collins appears to struggle against certain types of C, namely upper tier physical ones (and Lively, who hasn’t yet proven to be that, but looks to have the stuff) who can body him on the blocks and destroy him on the boards. This isn’t going to be every C he goes up against, but I’m surprised we didn’t see more Bassey while Collins was getting abused. Seems like Bass would be more suitable against this type of C.

Collins has no business starting but the Spurs don't have a better option yet.

There was a reason the team only won 22 and decided to tank, they lacked talent and there are still holes on this roster.

mookie2001
10-28-2023, 03:19 PM
Yeah, all of a sudden we get the number 1 pick and all these people come out of the wood work bitching that we are not going to win a championship this year. I kind of liked it when all and bandwagon spurs fans left after we started to be a lottery team ...........those were the good old days...

yes things have changed. He's not recovering from a serious injury anymore, we're not tanking, and all of sudden his shit defense really stands out.

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2023, 05:56 PM
I'll wait and see how he does against Zubac and Nurkic before I make my judgement. But people also need to realize that Collins is there for spacing, since whoever we start at PG, be it Sochan or Tre, is not a 3-point shooter. Right now it looks like a bruiser big who gets boards and blocks shots would be the better fit, but we are only 2 games into the season. I'd like to see Bassey play a little more minutes though and it seems Pop told him not to shoot 3s even though he's capable of making them.

JeffDuncan
10-28-2023, 06:27 PM
... I'd like to see Bassey play a little more minutes though and it seems Pop told him not to shoot 3s even though he's capable of making them.

Bassey? What are you looking at? He has now played in 60 NBA games, during which he has attempted a total of 12 three point shots and has made a total of 3 of them. Are we now defining “capable” to mean 1 shot made every 20 games?

BackHome
10-28-2023, 07:09 PM
yes things have changed. He's not recovering from a serious injury anymore, we're not tanking, and all of sudden his shit defense really stands out.

Now you understand why we only signed him to a two year contract....

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2023, 07:35 PM
Bassey? What are you looking at? He has now played in 60 NBA games, during which he has attempted a total of 12 three point shots and has made a total of 3 of them. Are we now defining “capable” to mean 1 shot made every 20 games?

he shot 37.5% in Austin last year. He can shoot 3s. Can he be a volume 3-point shooter? That's another question, but his shot is definitely there

TD 21
10-28-2023, 10:57 PM
With Sochan and Jones higher priority out of the virtual non shooters, it's tough to play Bassey much more, particularly with the starters.

z0sa
10-30-2023, 07:40 AM
Collins gets into position relatively fine but doesn’t seem to intimidate anyone enough to alter the shots greatly.

He needs to start taking more charges IMO. He’d convert some of those

TimDunkem
12-06-2023, 09:59 PM
:lol