PDA

View Full Version : Wemby is not a perimeter player

ivanfromwestwood
10-30-2023, 08:19 AM
I know he tries to model his game after Kevin Durant but let's be honest, with him playing out on the perimeter he just becomes an average tall player and is wasting his height advantage. He's not a good enough shooter from three point range. Not to mention it's also hurting his stats. this guy should be a 20 and 10 guy and there should never be a night where he doesn't get double digits and rebounds. Every time down the court he needs to try to get low post position and use his height to his advantage. We also need a point guard to get him the ball. Watching him not get a touch multiple possessions in a row is the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.

CorrectCrusader
10-30-2023, 08:29 AM
Can we not do this 3 games into his rookie year, thanks.

Dingle Barry
10-30-2023, 09:06 AM
Agree. You're not using the cheat code with him that far from the hoop. I think his shot will get there, but it's not yet good enough to justify being out there so much.

Leetonidas
10-30-2023, 09:09 AM
Doesn't help that we have a roster full of players that can't throw an entry pass to save their lives

Fireball
10-30-2023, 09:18 AM
If he was built like Giannis this plan would be great ... but putting a 19 year old lightweight into the grind of playing center against a Jokic or Embiid is just not a good idea. There is a reason Anthony Davis does not want to play center although he has the frame to do it.

Seventyniner
10-30-2023, 09:32 AM
Doesn't help that we have a roster full of players that can't throw an entry pass to save their lives

I can't blame them too much for that. The postup has been de-emphasized to the point of near obsolescence at the high school and college levels, most players aren't used to properly placing an entry pass to a 7'4" player, and Wemby himself prefers to operate on the perimeter.

boutons_deux
10-30-2023, 09:43 AM
I saw Victor spectating layups and shots from no man's land way too many times

He's not crashing the boards. He's not trying to be as shotstopper defender or shot alter her

Yes, he's only 19, but he has a hell of a long way to go before he's an NBA player. He has the physical gifts but does he have the mentality and heart and will to win and dominate?

boutons_deux
10-30-2023, 09:45 AM
Several times I saw him spectate one or two steps away from a layup on Spurs basket. Wtf? Absolutely zero attempt at help defense

boutons_deux
10-30-2023, 09:46 AM
Victor dribbled into the lane to get stripped. He must have learned that. From Tim Duncan ��

ivanfromwestwood
10-30-2023, 10:52 AM
If he was built like Giannis this plan would be great ... but putting a 19 year old lightweight into the grind of playing center against a Jokic or Embiid is just not a good idea. There is a reason Anthony Davis does not want to play center although he has the frame to do it.

not saying he needs to back anybody down but he definitely needs to start closer to the basket. in today's NBA defenders will barely be able to touch him without getting a foul called. how else is he going to start getting to the foul line. it isn't happening out there on the perimeter that's for sure

JADG79
10-30-2023, 12:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Wemby hanging around the perimeter too much. Last season he averaged 29% on 3s with the FIBA 3-point line.
He is still not a good shooter nor is his three-point selection. He is playing out of his zone and without good passers in the team.

Meanwhile, Chet has a better chance of being better this year because he plays more in the paint and has better guards with Shai and Giddey.

polandprzem
10-30-2023, 12:33 PM
I saw Victor spectating layups and shots from no man's land way too many times

He's not crashing the boards. He's not trying to be as shotstopper defender or shot alter her

Yes, he's only 19, but he has a hell of a long way to go before he's an NBA player. He has the physical gifts but does he have the mentality and heart and will to win and dominate?
Thats exactly what I was saying.

His team D and D overall is lacking. He only helps with his presents fe times. His rebounding is an issue and he needs to fix that/

Chinook
10-30-2023, 12:36 PM
As I've said before, the Spurs should be trying to get Wemby reliable touches in the mid-post. He really shouldn't be dribbling. Part of the issue is the Spurs not knowing how to clear out properly. That comes from Wemby not being able to hold a seal. He goes too early and no longer had position when it's time to make a pass. Wemby also brings the ball down when he should be keeping it high out of reach most of the time. Getting good looks is a five-man job, and Pop needs to do his job in giving them the tools to get that done. Sean is being silly constantly calling for them to make risky passes to Victor. The last thing the Spurs should be doing now is playing recklessly. In transition, it's whatever. But they need to actually run their half-court plays rather than constantly seeing if Wemby has his hand up.

sananspursfan21
10-30-2023, 06:12 PM
The perimeter is a great tool in his bag, but it’s NOT the whole of his game. There’s nobody that can contest his shot on the low block. If he finds his way there, it’s on him to miss it.

SayTown
10-30-2023, 07:01 PM
What does this have to do with him hanging around the three point line and trying to cross people over like he's AI on offense.

SayTown
10-30-2023, 07:05 PM
As I've said before, the Spurs should be trying to get Wemby reliable touches in the mid-post. He really shouldn't be dribbling. Part of the issue is the Spurs not knowing how to clear out properly. That comes from Wemby not being able to hold a seal. He goes too early and no longer had position when it's time to make a pass. Wemby also brings the ball down when he should be keeping it high out of reach most of the time. Getting good looks is a five-man job, and Pop needs to do his job in giving them the tools to get that done. Sean is being silly constantly calling for them to make risky passes to Victor. The last thing the Spurs should be doing now is playing recklessly. In transition, it's whatever. But they need to actually run their half-court plays rather than constantly seeing if Wemby has his hand up.

Duncan used to be the best at keeping the ball high after a rebound and not bringing it down to let guards swipe at it, I've seen Wemby get stripped already multiple times from brining the ball down low.

Brazil
10-30-2023, 07:58 PM
Or he is 19 y/o played his third game and is trying to figure out the NBA. He is unique but let him in an AD style of play box already :lol

Spurs Homer
10-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Really glad Pop is the one making this decision...

let the kid do his thing and he will find his way - just stop trying to make him what YOU think he should be...

scott
10-30-2023, 08:39 PM
One observation from being at the Clipper's game: it seems at time like his body moves down the court faster than the ball can be dribbled, so the ball eventually gets behind him, causing him to reach and get off balance and often get the ball stolen.

CGD
10-30-2023, 08:44 PM
One observation from being at the Clipper's game: it seems at time like his body moves down the court faster than the ball can be dribbled, so the ball eventually gets behind him, causing him to reach and get off balance and often get the ball stolen.

Smart observation. Now that you mention it, I think this makes a lot of sense

Tyronn Lue
10-30-2023, 09:12 PM
He's out there because his coach wants him to be. Pop needs to see what he can do, and he needs Wemby to see what he cannot do. This is all house money.

Tyronn Lue
10-30-2023, 09:14 PM
Duncan used to be the best at keeping the ball high after a rebound and not bringing it down to let guards swipe at it, I've seen Wemby get stripped already multiple times from brining the ball down low.
Tim wasn't the best early on. Kenyon stripped him 7 times in one game.

itzsoweezee
10-30-2023, 10:18 PM
Imagine drafting a 19 year old generational talent, the likes of which we’ve never seen before, and whining about the stupidest shit 3 games into his rookie season on a roster full of scrubs.

S h u t the f u c k u p you fucking losers

rascal
10-30-2023, 10:58 PM
Smart observation. Now that you mention it, I think this makes a lot of sense
delete

rascal
10-30-2023, 10:59 PM

Wemby shouldn't be dribbling the ball full court. That's what a pg is for.

TrainOfThought5
10-30-2023, 11:45 PM
People don’t remember Tim Duncan’s earlier bad games, and it’s kind of fascinating. I’ll include Parker too.

these guys were young and learned TONS of skills over the years. Wemby is arguably more skilled than them both at his respective age. He’s going to be amazing, just not this year lol.

Kawhi Duncan
10-31-2023, 12:35 AM
I don't mind him dribbling... KD is 6'11... Traditionally he shouldn't be dribbling and playing on the perimeter either... Let's see how unique this kid can be... Our main issue is actually running sets for him and giving him the ball in positions where he can attack best... Currently we are playing a pickup game with no PG... Tre needs to start because he is out only current option and he is actually good at it

Vince Carter's ankle
10-31-2023, 02:13 AM
it's been a long time and a lot has changed since the last time you watched a full basketball game in the 70s, old man.

Fireball
10-31-2023, 02:58 AM
What does this have to do with him hanging around the three point line and trying to cross people over like he's AI on offense.

Not fond of this either, but OP talked about him getting "low post position" ... that is what my reply was about

SayTown
10-31-2023, 05:39 PM
Tim wasn't the best early on. Kenyon stripped him 7 times in one game.

I meant after grabbing rebounds.

SayTown
10-31-2023, 05:44 PM
People don’t remember Tim Duncan’s earlier bad games, and it’s kind of fascinating. I’ll include Parker too.

these guys were young and learned TONS of skills over the years. Wemby is arguably more skilled than them both at his respective age. He’s going to be amazing, just not this year lol.

I'm sure Duncan had some bad games as a rookie but he ended up dominating as a rookie and was a top a top 10 arguably top 5 player as rookie. He finished number 5 in MVP voting although he turned 22 during his rookie season so he was already quite seasoned.

spurraider21
10-31-2023, 05:48 PM
transition is actually probably the best time for him to be dribbling. less congested, wont be going into crows, and can use his long strides very effectively

Sugus
10-31-2023, 06:07 PM

:lmao sure, let me go tell the generational talent to stop playing his game so he can fit inside your stereotypes :lol

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves...

Tyronn Lue
10-31-2023, 09:31 PM
a 7'4 guy shouldn't normally be handling the ball. Victor isn't like any 7'4 guy we've ever seen. The opponent has to know Victor can bring the ball up, can shoot from outside, can do a lot of things. They won't know that if he doesn't do it. If he gets stripped a lot doing that, he'll stop doing it (like Vince Young running the ball in the NFL).

DAF86
10-31-2023, 10:05 PM
A smart guy said in the preseason that Sochan isn't a PG and never will be.

That same smart guy also said Wemby needs to stop playing like a 7'5" Allen Iverson and get closer to the basket. I wonder how many more games will it take for SpursTalk to catch up with that take.

Well, I guess it didn't take long.

DAF86
10-31-2023, 10:17 PM
Wemby is not a Durant, he's an Anthony Davis. I'm not talking about level of player, just playing style. While Durant is a perimeter player on a bigman body, Davis is a bigman with perimeter player skills. Wemby is this latter type of player, and no amount of "development" will ever change that.

I'm all for experimenting and not "putting him on a box", but the fact that Wemby has taken 3 or 4 off rythm threes and not a single pick and roll look as the screen setter is just horrible coaching and is making life harder than it needs to be.

neboat
11-01-2023, 12:45 AM
Offensively, I feel like victor should model dirk’s game. An athletic version of dirk. Drive past big guys. post up and finish against smaller guys. Be more selective in 3 pointers

Mr. Body
11-01-2023, 12:47 AM
He's pretty clearly a SF in the old school. You can call him a stretch PF but stretch PFs are normally parked in the corner. Dude's an SF.

tim_duncan_fan
11-01-2023, 01:54 AM
We haven't been talking about how we haven't really seen perimeter skills on display yet. Looking forward to him showing some moves as he warms up to the NBA game.

freetiago
11-01-2023, 02:38 AM
One thing that’s clear is Spurs need to get all time Spurs great big man Tiago Splitter to teach this man how to set a proper screen. If he wants to chuck 3s all day he can do them off pick and pops

Ocotillo
11-02-2023, 06:08 AM
One thing that’s clear is Spurs need to get all time Spurs great big man Tiago Splitter to teach this man how to set a proper screen. If he wants to chuck 3s all day he can do them off pick and pops Golden God has gone to the dark side and is an assistant in Houston.

exstatic
11-02-2023, 06:30 AM
I'm sure Duncan had some bad games as a rookie but he ended up dominating as a rookie and was a top a top 10 arguably top 5 player as rookie. He finished number 5 in MVP voting although he turned 22 during his rookie season so he was already quite seasoned.

Tim Duncan was a 4 year college player, surrounded by the bulk of a WC Finals team,not an inexperienced Frenchman surrounded by draft picks not old enough to rent a car.

Bill_Brasky
11-02-2023, 06:48 AM
God damn yall are such retards. Small ball with Wemby is gonna murder the fuck out of opponents. When we have another guard out there instead of Collins or Bassey its gonna make it where the other team cant just have a rim protecting big in the game and thats where Wemby will feast.

z0sa
11-02-2023, 08:30 AM
:lol dude’s probably not even done growing and y’all wanna label him this or that. Damn, can’t he legally buy a beer in the USA at least before you decide what position is best for him??

PopTheGOAT
11-02-2023, 11:58 AM
This kid is 19 years old. Much of what we’ve seen so far can be chalked up to nerves, adjusting to NBA life, and him still growing into his body. He’s very clearly a unique player and will only get better. I think much better.

RIGHT NOW:

He’s is only a good ball handler for his size. His dribbling ability is not comparable to an NBA guard. He’s losing control way too much. I’d like to see him use this to get by defenders and get to the rim in the half court. Bringing the ball up full court with a smaller player defending will lead to TOs.

His most effective and reliable jump shot is the midrange. If he has an open 3, he should definitely be taking them, but contested 3s are bad shots right now. I think he’ll get there, though. Why are we not running pick n roll and pick and pop to get him these midrange looks. Aldridge used to get several per game and Wemby can hit that shot just as good as LA. His screens could use improvement but this should be their bread and butter. I’m not seeing any of it. He needs to get repetition. Hiding him in the corner isn’t going to teach him anything.

DAF86
11-02-2023, 01:05 PM
He's pretty clearly a SF in the old school. You can call him a stretch PF but stretch PFs are normally parked in the corner. Dude's an SF.

He's never played SF in his entire life. Not even now that Pop has him purposelessly wandering around the 3pt line. Once the experiment is over and the Spurs and Wemby have a more clear picture of where his strengths are, we are going to see him getting closer and closer to the basket.

Imagine having a 7'5" 25% 3pt shooter taking way more 3's per game than having touches on the post and thinking that's a sound, long term strategy. :lol

Mr. Body
11-02-2023, 01:42 PM
He's never played SF in his entire life. Not even now that Pop has him purposelessly wandering around the 3pt line. Once the experiment is over and the Spurs and Wemby have a more clear picture of where his strengths are, we are going to see him getting closer and closer to the basket.

Imagine having a 7'5" 25% 3pt shooter taking way more 3's per game than having touches on the post and thinking that's a sound, long term strategy. :lol

Everything about his game is small forward.

Kevin
11-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Wemby looks like a center. He's too damn tall to drive to the hoop from the three point line with '6'6 wings swiping at the ball on the way to the cup.

Playing 25 feet away from the hoop minimizes his height advantage. The closer Wemby is to the cup the better he plays on both ends.

exstatic
11-02-2023, 07:04 PM
Wemby looks like a center. He's too damn tall to drive to the hoop from the three point line with '6'6 wings swiping at the ball on the way to the cup.

Playing 25 feet away from the hoop minimizes his height advantage. The closer Wemby is to the cup the better he plays on both ends.

He can do it in two steps, from the 3 point line, on the run, without having to put the ball on the floor. From a stop, it only takes a crossover dribble, like when he ankle broke Durant and dunked on Drewbanks. With his stride, he only needs one dribble to get to the cup from the arc.

widowmaker
11-02-2023, 07:10 PM
Wembanyama can do a lot more damage in the paint right now as is. Once the game slows down for him he can most likely take his game out to the perimeter.