PDA

View Full Version : How old was Timmy Dunks when he entered collage at Wake Forest?

MultiTroll
10-30-2023, 09:47 PM
DOB Apr 25, 1976

17 or 18 in Fall of 1993?

Tim Duncan College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tim-duncan-1.html)

Going to tie it in with some perspective on Wama.

Arcadian
10-30-2023, 09:49 PM
I think kids graduate high school at 16 in the VI (and many other countries), which is how Tim was able to play 4 years of college ball and still be only 21 when he joined the NBA.

daslicer
10-30-2023, 10:10 PM
I think kids graduate high school at 16 in the VI (and many other countries), which is how Tim was able to play 4 years of college ball and still be only 21 when he joined the NBA.

Duncan skipped a grade hence why he graduated at 17.

spurs1990
10-30-2023, 10:20 PM
17 his entire freshman season, starting every game alongside Randolph Childress and all-world athlete Rusty Larue. By the end of that season even casuals knew he was going to be something. Duke and North Carolina were juggernauts in 1994 and Duncan beat em both

Thomas82
10-30-2023, 10:33 PM
He skipped the 3rd grade, so he was 17.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2023, 11:08 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRpdO0ENQlq0kxjG_FfYY1ZbMH7Iosz AyvAw&usqp=CAU

I’m not even sure which collage Tim Duncan was a part of, tbh.

spurs10
10-30-2023, 11:33 PM
Of course all of you know, he stayed there until he graduated to honor a promise to his Mom before she died.

ChumpDumper
10-31-2023, 02:35 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRpdO0ENQlq0kxjG_FfYY1ZbMH7Iosz AyvAw&usqp=CAU

I’m not even sure which collage Tim Duncan was a part of, tbh.

:lol OP asking for people to do simple math for him.

Seventyniner
10-31-2023, 09:34 AM
You don't even have to skip a grade to be 21 when graduating college. People with summer birthdays (mid June to late August) normally graduate high school at 17.

SayTown
10-31-2023, 06:05 PM
Would he have been drafted in the first round coming out of high school? I heard he would have already been drafted first overall after his freshmen college season.

baseline bum
10-31-2023, 06:41 PM
Would he have been drafted in the first round coming out of high school? I heard he would have already been drafted first overall after his freshmen college season.

I don't think it was until after his sophomore season at 19 that he was the consensus #1 pick, though I gotta imagine putting up 3.8 blocks and 9.6 boards his freshman year he would have gone really high, maybe still #1 in the draft at 18. Don't think anyone but Wake Forest's coach knew who the hell Tim was coming out of high school.

daslicer
11-02-2023, 11:45 AM

He was not on anybody's radar after his freshman year. I know this too well because I grew up in NC and plus, I remember watching a game on team that was WF vs Alaska when Duncan was a sophomore. I was in middle school and my dad saw him and said, "This guy is garbage look at him he sucks." I remember responding "Dad he is 7ft so he has to be good." My dad then said, "Tim Duncan is a bum and will never be a star." Duncan became the consensus number 1 pick during the end of his sophomore year after the ACC tournament. That's when he established himself as the best player in the nation.

SayTown
11-02-2023, 01:58 PM
He was not on anybody's radar after his freshman year. I know this too well because I grew up in NC and plus, I remember watching a game on team that was WF vs Alaska when Duncan was a sophomore. I was in middle school and my dad saw him and said, "This guy is garbage look at him he sucks." I remember responding "Dad he is 7ft so he has to be good." My dad then said, "Tim Duncan is a bum and will never be a star." Duncan became the consensus number 1 pick during the end of his sophomore year after the ACC tournament. That's when he established himself as the best player in the nation.

Did you ever remind your dad about that over the years, what would he say lol. Vs Alaska was when Duncan was a freshman and his very first college game. I doubt he wasn't on anyone's radar after his freshman season, in WF's two NCAA tournament games he averaged 16pts 14 rebounds and 6 blks on 62% shooting including a game against Kansas that featured future first round picks Greg Ostertag and Scot Pollard.

daslicer
11-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Did you ever remind your dad about that over the years, what would he say lol. Vs Alaska was when Duncan was a freshman and his very first college game. I doubt he wasn't on anyone's radar after his freshman season, in WF's two NCAA tournament games he averaged 16pts 14 rebounds and 6 blks on 62% shooting including a game against Kansas that featured future first round picks Greg Ostertag and Scot Pollard.

I still remind my dad all the time of how he was wrong about Duncan. It always drives him crazy. I will say stuff at times like "What do you know you are the same guy that said Tim Duncan was a scrub." He always shakes head with smile and anger and will say "How was I suppose to know he was going to be great. He looked like trash and showed no fire in that game."