PDA

View Full Version : Vassell injury recovery. Groin Nov 2 in glorious Sons thumping.

MultiTroll
11-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Guys sure we agree Vassell is a key. When he is stroking shots it def helps the offense and Victor.

Sure, we want Ossi or whomever to step up in his place, we're not giving up.

For XMass besides sugarplums and silver bells one might have rightly envisioned .600 Spurs ball. Better? .600+?

Ok here is where we are at now.

Spurs' Gregg Popovich: Devin Vassell Likely 'Out for a While' with Groin Injury | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10095948-spurs-gregg-popovich-devin-vassell-likely-out-for-a-while-with-groin-injury)

TDomination
11-03-2023, 11:40 AM
man i hope this doesn't stop his momentum.

what a start to the season vassell has had

but now an injury will slow him up a bit. we'll see how he recovers from it.

Russ
11-03-2023, 11:42 AM
Groin can be a bad (chronic) injury unfortunately.

slick'81
11-03-2023, 11:44 AM
Lets go malakai

BackHome
11-03-2023, 11:56 AM
Pop all ready said he is going to be out for quite awhile - I guess we’re really going to see the mad scientist part of Pop out for the next several weeks

Harry Callahan
11-03-2023, 12:04 PM
The quote I saw was "a little while". This should not stop the objective of seeing who fits where in the future.

Mugen
11-03-2023, 12:08 PM
If you listen to the Pop presser, it honestly doesn't sound as bad as it looks in text. I think they'll still be careful and MRI will tell everything but now I'm thinking 2-4 weeks instead of 4-6 tbh

11-03-2023, 12:52 PM
Team doing too well, need Vassell to sit to get a high lottery pick. Then Wemby after Vassell returns.

John B
11-03-2023, 01:12 PM
Vassell is my Avatar and I wish him back the earliest. But the silver lining I hope is Pop reinserting Tre in the starting lineup, sliding Sochan to SF/PF. I like Sochan’s development as a facilitator and he has improved so much. It is safe to say he is a better Point-Forward now than before. But having a true PG will help to set-up Wemby better. Wemby was asking for touches last night. I think will see that more.

LeBowen
11-03-2023, 01:17 PM
Vassell is my Avatar and I wish him back the earliest. But the silver lining I hope is Pop reinserting Tre in the starting lineup, sliding Sochan to SF/PF. I like Sochan’s development as a facilitator and he has improved so much. It is safe to say he is a better Point-Forward now than before. But having a true PG will help to set-up Wemby better. Wemby was asking for touches last night. I think will see that more.

Idk about that.
Devin is by the best shooter in the starting lineup, replacing him with Tre is questionable.
It will probably be Malaki or Cedi if Malaki struggles.

cd98
11-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Painful loss for a guy that is fun to watch and starting to get his due based on the extra exposure he gets from the media circus surrounding Wemby.

John B
11-03-2023, 01:59 PM
Idk about that.
Devin is by the best shooter in the starting lineup, replacing him with Tre is questionable.
It will probably be Malaki or Cedi if Malaki struggles.

That’s probably what’s gonna happen since Pop is likely to keep his regular rotation and insert a player that he doesn’t use as much i.e. Champagnie or McD. But it’s evident last night how Wemby dominated with a true PG setting him up, the lobs, the pick and roll, things that Tre created by constantly moving ala Parker. It is too soon to abandon the Sochan PG experiment as I said before. But that’s before last night when Wemby was really demanding the ball especially in the last crucial minutes of the game. And Tre was able to find him everytime.

I think Tre starting, then Sochan sliding to PG when Tre sits. Stagger the PG between Tre/Sochan. I like to see more of Malaki whatever available minutes created.

PrimeMinister
11-03-2023, 02:03 PM
was dan scared to say groin on the broadcast

BackHome
11-03-2023, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I would like to see Keldon at SG and see how Sochan handles the SF role;

PG. Tre
SG. Keldon
SF. Sochan
PF. Wemby
C. Collins

BackHome
11-03-2023, 05:05 PM
If you listen to the Pop presser, it honestly doesn't sound as bad as it looks in text. I think they'll still be careful and MRI will tell everything but now I'm thinking 2-4 weeks instead of 4-6 tbh

Yeah, I think most times a player is out 3 to 8 weeks - It sucks for Vassell as someone mentioned he was really getting some love from media. But it is a long season and Pop is always going to err on the side of caution as we defnintely never want to get anywhere near KY problem we had

wildbill2u
11-03-2023, 06:18 PM

PG. Tre
SG. Keldon
SF. Sochan
PF. Wemby
C. Collins

You may have something there. Anything to get Sochan out of PG

DAF86
11-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Chance to see Champagnie starting. I really thought he was a lock to be a rotation player after the summer he had.

Dex
11-03-2023, 07:00 PM
Disappointing for Vassell who was off to a great start.

Groin injuries are hard to shake off. Hopefully it's nothing serious but the fact that they want an MRI is worrisome.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him miss some weeks, and then you just have to hope he doesn't re-tweak it when he comes back.

timtonymanu
11-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Chance to see Champagnie starting. I really thought he was a lock to be a rotation player after the summer he had.

Cedi also took his place in the rotation. Good time for Julian to get the nerves off.

BackHome
11-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Cedi basically beat him out of the role everyone thought he would have - But to be honest he is not the same player that I saw the summer league I am hoping it's just really bad nerves....Hopefully our sports therapist can help him overcome this...

onechance87
11-03-2023, 08:07 PM

played terrible in preseason...But would like to see him get some playing time....See if his shooting is back..

Spurs Brazil
11-04-2023, 11:59 AM
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1720844632509055038

SPURt
11-04-2023, 12:05 PM
Hallelujah!!

spursparker9
11-04-2023, 12:19 PM

Wow day-to-day :toast

JeffDuncan
11-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Only day-to-day, yay! Get well soon, Devin, we need you.

John B
11-04-2023, 12:29 PM
That’s great news!

Seventyniner
11-04-2023, 12:33 PM
:bobo

Chinook
11-04-2023, 12:51 PM
I really want to see Graham starting for a few reasons:

1) Shooting -- he can best emulate Devin's quick trigger and can get his own shot, which is something the starting lineup will need more than ever now that teams are going to start doubling Wemby. In fact, I expect Toronto to be a pretty tough defense for Wemby with all the long arms they can throw at him. The team is going to need to be able to score without him to draw pressure off him.

2) Speed -- he is mostly a shooter, but he does add a downhill element to the offense. A Spurs team with bigs who like to hang out behind the three-point line needs vertical spacing, so a guard who can penetrate is helpful.

3) Passing -- he's often thought of a chucker, but he moves the ball when the offense is flowing and definitely loves setting up guys for finishes. With a starting unit still learning to pass to Wemby, having a guy who likes throwing lobs makes sense. This also gets a guard into the SL who can help Sochan in terms of ball-handling duties while not supplanting him on that end the way Jones would if he started.

4) Rotation -- starting him allows the Spurs to run mostly the same rotation they've been running. It also give Jones a guy to sub in for naturally so the team doesn't go from huge to small on the first rotation.

5) Showcase -- this is the best situation to showcase Graham's value for a future deal. He'd be in a situation where he is going to be asked to score but will also have a lot of pressure taken off him due to Victor and Keldon. He's also going to be able to show off his PG skills by having one of the safest finishers in the league to pass the ball to. If the team has any desire to either bring Devonte into the rotation or move him, getting him early-season run in a favorable situation makes the most sense.

CGD
11-04-2023, 01:26 PM
I hope they take it slow with the groin injury. Those linger longer than expected

Obstructed_View
11-04-2023, 03:37 PM
They reported that Devin tried to go back in against the Suns. Not surprised it turned out not to be bad. So glad too, because he was tearing it up.

couchman
11-04-2023, 03:46 PM
I still expect him to miss a week or two because we’ll want to be cautious w our new investment but this is great news

Harry Callahan
11-04-2023, 04:00 PM
Just for my amusement, I wanted the day after reaction to the Spurs sweeping Phoenix in the BTB. Of course Wemby is the toast of the town (deserved by the way).

Anyway - there is an idiot named Collin Cowherd (or Cowturd) who actually said the Spurs have NOTHING on their roster outside of number 1. This guy has probably not even watched a full game this year - Devin for one is a heck of a player that could play for a bunch of other teams. Keldon Johnson can be a key rotation player in a lot of places. Sochan is just scratching the surface. Branham, Jones. Some of these guys will be a key part of SA's future success.

Other teams fanboys in the media are already tampering with VW. Imagine that. (Meshawn Johnson yes you!)

exstatic
11-04-2023, 04:14 PM
Team doing too well, need Vassell to sit to get a high lottery pick. Then Wemby after Vassell returns.

Pop had more than ample chances to dump the last two games, and didn't. Stop with the tanking crap. It's not happening. Spurs will be as good or bad as they are on the merits of their performance.

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2023, 04:38 PM
great to hear he's only day-to-day

spurs1990
11-04-2023, 04:50 PM
Good outcomes either way. Vassell keeps playing or Wembanyama runs the offense with glaring production. Spurs will be in the national media spotlight every game

FutureMan
11-04-2023, 06:33 PM

PG. Tre
SG. Keldon
SF. Sochan
PF. Wemby
C. Collins

Hopefully Vassell can return soon but having this lineup for at least the next three games would be helpful. It would be nice to see Wemby start with a real point guard, confirm Jones is a backup point guard, and see which of Sochan/Johnson/Collins could be the one coming from the bench in the future.

tbdog
11-04-2023, 11:58 PM
Groin and hammy strains are a bugger. Because you can set yourself back to the start if you mistime your return. You actually think you're healed until you go 100%.

11-05-2023, 02:16 AM
Pop had more than ample chances to dump the last two games, and didn't. Stop with the tanking crap. It's not happening. Spurs will be as good or bad as they are on the merits of their performance.

Checking the schedule, next game is vs the Raptors so got to make sure they win at the very least.

John B
11-05-2023, 05:05 AM

Agree. It’s not in Wemby’s vocabulary to lose, and Pop will please and support his franchise player. Pop will still be careful not to risk any injuries, and the Spurs will be competing every game albeit more so as development than for winning it all.

thiste
11-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Good outcomes either way. Vassell keeps playing or Wembanyama runs the offense with glaring production. Spurs will be in the national media spotlight every game

Hoping he'll repeat last game's performance, but I will be fine if he has 15 points. He's still a teenager, can't expect him to turn into prime MJ every game.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2023, 11:05 AM
Hopefully Vassell can return soon but having this lineup for at least the next three games would be helpful. It would be nice to see Wemby start with a real point guard, confirm Jones is a backup point guard, and see which of Sochan/Johnson/Collins could be the one coming from the bench in the future.

Possible since it's early. Historically Pop has brought in someone not in the rotation to start so as not to disrupt the second team. Tre couldn't be in a better spot at the moment.

baseline bum
11-05-2023, 11:18 AM
Just for my amusement, I wanted the day after reaction to the Spurs sweeping Phoenix in the BTB. Of course Wemby is the toast of the town (deserved by the way).

Anyway - there is an idiot named Collin Cowherd (or Cowturd) who actually said the Spurs have NOTHING on their roster outside of number 1. This guy has probably not even watched a full game this year - Devin for one is a heck of a player that could play for a bunch of other teams. Keldon Johnson can be a key rotation player in a lot of places. Sochan is just scratching the surface. Branham, Jones. Some of these guys will be a key part of SA's future success.

Probably the same kind of idiot who wonders why Memphis is 0-6 when they played so well without Morant last season without realizing it was this guy holding their team together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2RYYN4MGA

Yeah they don't look like they miss him :lol

Fizziksman
11-05-2023, 11:33 AM
Good to hear it is day to day

Spurs Brazil
11-16-2023, 07:08 PM
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1725277062594760899

timtonymanu
11-16-2023, 07:20 PM
So we lose by 50 instead of 40.

CGD
11-16-2023, 07:28 PM
Probably the same kind of idiot who wonders why Memphis is 0-6 when they played so well without Morant last season without realizing it was this guy holding their team together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2RYYN4MGA

Yeah they don't look like they miss him :lol

He’s an UFA this summer, just saying…

scott
11-16-2023, 07:33 PM
He’s an UFA this summer, just saying…

I thought Ja's extension kicked in this year?

CGD
11-16-2023, 07:48 PM
I thought Ja's extension kicked in this year?

I was referring to Tyus Jones

Spurs Homer
11-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Vassell is now a ball hog...

and

a china doll

who plays zero defense and cannot and will not make an easy lob pass to vw

exstatic
11-17-2023, 07:21 AM
Vassell is now a ball hog...

and

a china doll

who plays zero defense and cannot and will not make an easy lob pass to vw

Both his FGA and USG are down this year, so I’m not sure where this outburst is coming from.

playbonner15
11-17-2023, 07:23 AM
So we lose by 50 instead of 40.

mudd
11-17-2023, 03:00 PM
we should have drafted Haliburton...

Spurs Homer
11-17-2023, 06:16 PM
Both his FGA and USG are down this year, so I’m not sure where this outburst is coming from.

watch the games

sure he will make the occasional pass but he easily gets frustrated and once he does he just tries to get his…

he misses every lob opportunity to vw, and even when vw is calling for the ball with a smaller defender in the paint

vassell just jacks up a 30 ft fallaway jumper with a defender in his face