PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Heat - Nov. 12, 2023

timvp
11-13-2023, 01:16 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/2023-spurs-heat-grades-10/

Getting better, tbh :tu

John B
11-13-2023, 01:41 AM
Agree. I thought they played much better tonight. They surely started real good, constantly moving and attacking the rim which gave them an early lead, but eventually abandoned when the opponent start running. They need to trust the system that got them the lead, being aggressive to the paint, transition offense. I think we got glimpses of what things they are capable at doing, but just need to be composed and trust the system

Spurs Homer
11-13-2023, 01:41 AM
Patience…

Stay the course…

TimmehC
11-13-2023, 02:12 AM
Hopefully this means Branham shook off whatever nerves have been plaguing him. We could really use that extra punch off the bench.

Fireball
11-13-2023, 02:45 AM
it was in some way a solid game for the Spurs but Miami does not have the 3 point offense compared to the other teams that blew us out recently ... so I figured this would be a close game and Miami's defense during certain parts of the game made the difference.

sananspursfan21
11-13-2023, 07:26 AM
I was caught up in the moment last night and was pretty angry. After a good night’s sleep and reading the grades, I feel better. They competed against a veteran playoff team with stellar defense. The blown leads are aggravating, inexperienced or not but hopefully they’re learning to keep their foot down on the neck when they get up like that. Their big leads look sustainable because they’re coming from swarming defense, hitting open looks and making the extra pass, not lucky bounces. It’s almost like once they realize it’s working, they stop and let the other guys catch up.

exstatic
11-13-2023, 07:54 AM
it was in some way a solid game for the Spurs but Miami does not have the 3 point offense compared to the other teams that blew us out recently ... so I figured this would be a close game and Miami's defense during certain parts of the game made the difference.

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking watching the game last night. We’re actually not a great matchup for them.

KDKSpurs24
11-13-2023, 10:18 AM
I was caught up in the moment last night and was pretty angry. After a good night’s sleep and reading the grades, I feel better. They competed against a veteran playoff team with stellar defense. The blown leads are aggravating, inexperienced or not but hopefully they’re learning to keep their foot down on the neck when they get up like that. Their big leads look sustainable because they’re coming from swarming defense, hitting open looks and making the extra pass, not lucky bounces. It’s almost like once they realize it’s working, they stop and let the other guys catch up.
It’s hard for me to feel good about it. Miami was missing Herro(23ppg) and Lowry(proven veteran). I won’t count Caleb Martin because he been out since game 1 but those are key guys. This team can definitely improve but it’s gonna take a long time.

tmtcsc
11-13-2023, 10:36 AM
This would be a significantly better team if we had season vets who know how to play and win games. DRob and Tim had that but we've left Wemby on his own. As it is, Vegas will most likely be right on their projected win count. This team sucks except for Wemby. We have some decent pieces around him but lack talent to win now. Gonna be a long, loss laden season unfortunately. Kedlon would be a bench player on most other teams. He makes terrible decisions and can be a ball hog at times.

Mugen
11-13-2023, 10:42 AM
-#1 priority for the offseason is finding a lead guard that can put pressure on a defense. They sorely need a guy that can penetrate and kick just to make life easier for everybody.
-With what Victor showed tonight, it's apparent that the offense should be running fully through him. Running a few sets where he can get it at the top of the arc where he can find cutters, run some screenNroll with Devin/Keldon as the screeners, etc. would be nice. It's a lot better than Jeremy having the ball for half the shot clock...
-I want them to change the angle a bit on those Zollins/Wemby cross screen action under the basket. The end result if usually Wemby open for a lob but literally nobody on the team outside of Wemby/Tre can throw it :lol

poopbox
11-13-2023, 11:14 AM
Playing a power forward a point guard on purpose should get Pop an automatic F every game tbh

rjv
11-13-2023, 04:32 PM
compared to zollins, bassey is clearly the better rebounder and a better defender but neither is a starting center in the NBA. it was nice to see a solid game from branham though; I hope he turns the corner.

Obstructed_View
11-13-2023, 05:19 PM
Not a great game, but a step in the right direction for sure.

Obstructed_View
11-13-2023, 05:20 PM
compared to zollins, bassey is clearly the better rebounder and a better defender but neither is a starting center in the NBA. it was nice to see a solid game from branham though; I hope he turns the corner.
Agree. Zach might be a better offensive spark plug off the bench. He is a good scorer but takes too many shots and gets eaten up by starting front lines.

GB20
11-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Thank you for the grade!!

RC_Drunkford
11-13-2023, 06:40 PM
Agree. Zach might be a better offensive spark plug off the bench. He is a good scorer but takes too many shots and gets eaten up by starting front lines.

he would be a nice bench big in a 6th man Montrez Harrell on the Clippers's type of role on a contending team. We need defense at the 5 for the starting line up

LeBowen
11-13-2023, 06:50 PM
he would be a nice bench big in a 6th man Montrez Harrell on the Clippers's type of role on a contending team. We need defense at the 5 for the starting line up

I'd honestly go the other way around.
How many bigs, even for rookie Wemby, are tough enough of a matchup for him to need an actual C in the starting lineup?

Jokic and Embiid, who else? Not even AD with his lack of post play could bully him.
Yeah, it requires more physical effort, but then on the other end all those slow-footed bigs like Valanciunas or even Sabonis would get torched because they're way too slow and useless to deal with Wemby's mobility.

Having Wemby roam around on defense is nice and all, but having him match up against slow centers in a league where only a couple of them are legit superstars is game-breaking.

Obviously, if we can get a legit C, by all means, but how many of those are in the league? Good rim protectors and rebounders can't really shoot, it's a rare skillset.
And if we get someone who can't shoot, then the rest of the lineup needs a rework, can't have multiple bad shooters on the floor in today's league.

Zach's story and recovery is great, but I'm kinda regretting that they gave him that contract. He'll never be good enough to be anything more than a backup for a legit playoff team with his horrible defense.
I guess he'll be easy enough to move, but I really dislike that he's got a role of a legit all-star in this team.

As others have said, most of the sets need to run through Wemby and Devin, others can get in line and show they're worth keeping in the long run.

Actual triple threat point guard would immediately transform this team.

TD 21
11-13-2023, 07:11 PM
This nonsense again?

They should definitely be looking to get to Wembanyama at C lineups more often (too much Collins going on), but the league is as loaded with bigs as it's ever been and the physical toll of the position is not just about defending post ups, it's: block outs, drives and being the primary in the p-n-r/screen setter offensively.

Also, he'd still be defended by the exact same players who are defending him now because the Spurs offer plenty of hiding spots for led footed bigs.

RC_Drunkford
11-13-2023, 07:27 PM
I'd honestly go the other way around.
How many bigs, even for rookie Wemby, are tough enough of a matchup for him to need an actual C in the starting lineup?

Jokic and Embiid, who else? Not even AD with his lack of post play could bully him.
Yeah, it requires more physical effort, but then on the other end all those slow-footed bigs like Valanciunas or even Sabonis would get torched because they're way too slow and useless to deal with Wemby's mobility.

Having Wemby roam around on defense is nice and all, but having him match up against slow centers in a league where only a couple of them are legit superstars is game-breaking.

Obviously, if we can get a legit C, by all means, but how many of those are in the league? Good rim protectors and rebounders can't really shoot, it's a rare skillset.
And if we get someone who can't shoot, then the rest of the lineup needs a rework, can't have multiple bad shooters on the floor in today's league.

Zach's story and recovery is great, but I'm kinda regretting that they gave him that contract. He'll never be good enough to be anything more than a backup for a legit playoff team with his horrible defense.
I guess he'll be easy enough to move, but I really dislike that he's got a role of a legit all-star in this team.

As others have said, most of the sets need to run through Wemby and Devin, others can get in line and show they're worth keeping in the long run.

Actual triple threat point guard would immediately transform this team.

They obviously don't want him to play Center full time though. And even if, you'd still want to have a match up advantage where you can beat small teams with 2 bigs and outrebound/outscore them in the paint. So a defensive big is neccessary. Obviously it would be great if that guy can also shoot 3s, but those are hard to find. If the Spurs find a real point guard, the C not being a shooter won't be a big issue.

TheBallsbreakers
11-13-2023, 11:20 PM
Trying times but the team is making incremental progress. Wemby also has to be held accountable for his shot selection too, which at times is as infuriating as his teammates failing to find him in good spots.