PDA

View Full Version : How long before Pop sends another generational talent packing?

TheGreatYacht
11-14-2023, 10:04 PM
It's actually impossible to fumble a player like this harder than the senile old man is doing right now. Doing the kid absolutely zero favors. Victor isn't Tim who could care less about media attention and his critics, it's obvious just by his body language out there when his teammates aren't feeding him and he starts forcing up terrible looks out of frustration.

- Playing with no true PG
- Playing next to a Center that clogs the paint up and demands post touches thus turning him into a spot up shooter, which is NOT his game
- No designated plays. Pop proudly admitting to not doing any coaching and just letting him "freestyle" out there
- God awful minute rotations, he's being played like he's a 39yr old with a Punisher brace
- Not being used properly defensively. Players are supposed to funnel the guards onto him at the rim, instead that role is assigned to Collins... Causing him to get caught cheating chasing blocks = leaving his assignment wide open in the corner
- The BIG starting lineup is historically atrocious defensively (ranked last in opponent 3P% and 29th in 3P allowed)
- For a franchise supposedly so into analytics, you'd think they would do something so clearly obvious which is start Tre Jones who is the only positive plus-minus player(+24) instead of the black hole that is Jeremy who is EASILY running away as the worst player on the floor at all times (-142)

spursparker9
11-14-2023, 10:05 PM
Guess Nephew was right afterall

Mugen
11-14-2023, 10:07 PM
STFU, you just don't understand the "experiment" :lol

playbonner15
11-14-2023, 10:07 PM
Depends on Wemby's uncle

DAF86
11-14-2023, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately it seems like Pop bought into the "Durant 2.0" narrative, just like many folks in here. The problem is that he's Wemby's coach, he should know better.

If Pop costs Wemby RoY with his bullshit, it will be the start of the end.

Kawhi Duncan
11-14-2023, 10:12 PM
I said this from the start of the season... The lack of offensive structure will make Wemby leave... These dudes don't give a fuck about Pop's legacy... They're trying to make their own... And if they feel like Pop is sabotaging that, they'll leave... Simple... And he is CLEARLY sabotaging it with some of the worst coaching I've seen on any level

spursparker9
11-14-2023, 10:14 PM
STFU, you just don't understand the "experiment" :lol

Pop is the only coach that dare to do 'experiment' since he is sure he won't get fired. Other coaches will coach as if their livelihood depend on it while Pop can chill and just retires (maybe before end of his 5 years contract) when he is sick of it.

TrainOfThought5
11-14-2023, 10:17 PM
I’m fine with Wemby free styling. But not without a PG to feed him or create opportunities for him. It’s counter productive.

Mugen
11-14-2023, 10:17 PM
Pop is the only coach that dare to do 'experiment' since he is sure he won't get fired. Other coaches will coach as if their livelihood depend on it while Pop can chill and just retires (maybe before end of his 5 years contract) when he is sick of it.
timvp literally said that Pop's job security was a huge benefit coming into this season :lol

FkLA
11-14-2023, 10:24 PM
5 rings, most wins in NBA history

I love the man but why is he still going? He could easily move into a Riley role. Even RC moved into an executive position years ago. Let a hungry young coach lead the rebuild.

TekXX
11-14-2023, 10:28 PM
5 rings, most wins in NBA history

I love the man but why is he still going? He could easily move into a Riley role. Even RC moved into an executive position years ago. Let a hungry young coach lead the rebuild.

He lost his wife, he's got nothing else to do. What are the Spurs going to do, fire Gregg Popovich? No.

timtonymanu
11-14-2023, 10:35 PM
Guy has more job security than anyone in history. Literally can shit the bed and still he’s off the hook. The blame will go to the players like sochan or Keldon when the team being poorly coached is the biggest problem.

Mugen
11-14-2023, 10:37 PM
He lost his wife, he's got nothing else to do. What are the Spurs going to do, fire Gregg Popovich? No.

:lol Sounds like a pretty selfish guy then, wouldn't you say? Sabotaging a franchise because he's got nothing else to do.

Pauleta14
11-14-2023, 10:55 PM
Among all the critics and stuff missing, the absence of experinced veteran(s) strikes me.
No coaching staff even the best can bring to a player what an exp vet can, especially one who has to learn reponsabilities, presure, expectations etc
I take it as a lack of humility from Pop or the FO who thought it wasn't necessary to help Victor start his NBA career.

It doesn't make sense, it's dumb

paperboy77
11-14-2023, 11:01 PM
I said this from the start of the season... The lack of offensive structure will make Wemby leave... These dudes don't give a fuck about Pop's legacy... They're trying to make their own... And if they feel like Pop is sabotaging that, they'll leave... Simple... And he is CLEARLY sabotaging it with some of the worst coaching I've seen on any level

Pop's done some good things over the years... from time to time, but he needs to stop being the HC. There's still time even if the rest of the year sux to get things right for VW. Still, I think this is a huge group-think situation and nobody wants to admit the old mans gotta go.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-14-2023, 11:40 PM
An experienced PG would change this team dramatically. The Spurs front office can’t sit on their hands. We have the best rookie in the league…heck the best rookie in the last 20+ years. The franchise needs to rally around him and make some shit happen. Don’t piss this opportunity away.

TD 21
11-14-2023, 11:40 PM
Only the Spurs could suck the life out of the most hyped prospect in 20 years and unique one in history, in a flash by seemingly doing everything in their power to set him up to fail, under a massive spotlight no less. Way to get the relationship off on the right foot.

This team is dejected because they know they don't have a chance to function offensively. What's worse, they have no strength or identity going forward They can't create, shoot, defend, rebound . . . but hey, at least they have "character".

NASpurs
11-14-2023, 11:42 PM
Only the Spurs could suck the life out of the most hyped prospect in 20 years and unique one in history, in a flash by seemingly doing everything in their power to set him up to fail, under a massive spotlight no less.

This team is dejected because they know they don't have a chance to function offensively. What's worse, they have no strength or identity going forward They can't create, shoot, defend, rebound . . . but hey, at least they have "character".

These are teaching moments, still getting over themselves, pound the rock, etc

james evans
11-14-2023, 11:47 PM
So niw y’all want to agree that Popovich has to go? I been saying that. Dude is out of his fukin mind.

Barfunk
11-14-2023, 11:58 PM
Love what Pop's done, and I believe whole heartedly that he HAS been an amazing coach, but yeah, he sucks now, point blank, period. The one's who refuse to critique him one bit and call the people who try to be more objective about the situation cry babies/idiots are probably more than likely the delusional ones.

Obstructed_View
11-15-2023, 12:00 AM
BTW, which generational talent did Pop send packing? Demar? Ian Mahinmi? Beno Udrih?

MultiTroll
11-15-2023, 12:10 AM
:lol Sounds like a pretty selfish guy then, wouldn't you say? Sabotaging a franchise because he's got nothing else to do.
This has always slayed me.
How the Sniffers glorify him as if he is doing something uber meritorious because he drags the whole org down by his coaching while he keeps his 12 million a year job because his wife died.
How many men and women lost a spouse in the last years that don't have the luxury of 100 million dollars and a job that you just have to show up to get massively paid.

He wanted the all time wins record.

spurraider21
11-15-2023, 12:10 AM
BTW, which generational talent did Pop send packing? Demar? Ian Mahinmi? Beno Udrih?
Nephew

FuzzyLumpkins
11-15-2023, 12:17 AM
:lol I love how people cope with losing.

Barfunk
11-15-2023, 01:04 AM

Barfunk
11-15-2023, 01:05 AM

Cerppp herderrr

Obstructed_View
11-15-2023, 01:34 AM
Nephew
Lol. He hated Tony Parker and the medical people, and he lasted about 1 season on pure hate before his body gave out.

But I'll throw it at Pop's feet. Kawhi isn't a generational talent.

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2023, 06:42 AM
if Pop really cares like in this video, then maybe the players have just tuned him out and don't give a fuck about what the crazy old man got to say

KingKev
11-15-2023, 07:02 AM
Slippery slope. The plus side is we are getting another top 5 pick hands down. The downside is Pop looks like he is in full puppeteer moode and that hasn’t worked since Duncan retired.

james evans
11-15-2023, 12:09 PM
We've been losing for 5 straight seasons(including this one) after winning for 22. Who likes to lose for 5 straight seasons after getting numerous lottery picks(one wasted)

JeffDuncan
11-15-2023, 12:10 PM
if Pop really cares like in this video, then maybe the players have just tuned him out and don't give a fuck about what the crazy old man got to say

The players know perfectly well the difference between coaching, and an old man ranting. The latter is all that video shows.

When the players have not even been coached so that they know basic defensive rotations, what is yelling at them going to achieve? Gotdammit team, get out there and play badly HARDER!!

Like when a player goes the wrong way on a rotation (because he’s never been taught the right way) it’ll help if he runs faster, to the wrong place.

That video of Pop does not show coaching. It shows yelling. Homeless drunks can yell and wave their arms. That is not a good look for Pop.

NASpurs
11-15-2023, 12:11 PM
I don't even trust this organization's drafting skills anymore. There's been more duds than hits. Shit is kind of hopeless.

Kawhi Duncan
11-15-2023, 12:21 PM
Among all the critics and stuff missing, the absence of experinced veteran(s) strikes me.
No coaching staff even the best can bring to a player what an exp vet can, especially one who has to learn reponsabilities, presure, expectations etc
I take it as a lack of humility from Pop or the FO who thought it wasn't necessary to help Victor start his NBA career.

It doesn't make sense, it's dumb

OKC didn't... They're just as young

TekXX
11-15-2023, 12:23 PM
I don't even trust this organization's drafting skills anymore. There's been more duds than hits. Shit is kind of hopeless.

Should have kept Sam Presti around.

MultiTroll
11-15-2023, 12:28 PM
The players know perfectly well the difference between coaching, and an old man ranting. The latter is all that video shows.

When the players have not even been coached so that they know basic defensive rotations, what is yelling at them going to achieve? Gotdammit team, get out there and play badly HARDER!!

Like when a player goes the wrong way on a rotation (because he’s never been taught the right way) it’ll help if he runs faster, to the wrong place.

That video of Pop does not show coaching. It shows yelling. Homeless drunks can yell and wave their arms. That is not a good look for Pop.
Rack it.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-15-2023, 09:05 PM
:lol now Pop is just a ranting old man. Cope harder. :rollin

timtonymanu
11-15-2023, 09:09 PM

Vassell over haliburton and flasher over sengun were huge misses.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-15-2023, 10:24 PM
An experienced PG would change this team dramatically. The Spurs front office can’t sit on their hands. We have the best rookie in the league…heck the best rookie in the last 20+ years. The franchise needs to rally around him and make some shit happen. Don’t piss this opportunity away.

Maybe they will once he gets over himself /Popobitch

eric365
11-16-2023, 03:19 AM
I don’t mind losing and the lack of vet this year to have a high draft pick
But the lack of true point guard is another story

How will wemby learn to properly play?

exstatic
11-16-2023, 06:12 AM
Should have kept Sam Presti around.

Presti hasn’t had a big hit since Harden.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-16-2023, 06:42 AM
If wemby leaves I'll laugh tbh

itzsoweezee
11-16-2023, 02:14 PM
Vassell over haliburton and flasher over sengun were huge misses.

That’s fine. Those misses resulted in wemby. I’m thankful for the incompetence