PDA

View Full Version : Look like Wemby won't be the ROY and an All Star this year

spursparker9
11-15-2023, 06:35 AM
His weakness is being exposed more and more with each passing game.

TO prone.
Poor shot selection.
Trying to dribble in front of NBA wings and guards and result in TO.

Fireball
11-15-2023, 06:37 AM
He still can be a starter because of the fan voting because the hype will somehow continue (and many fans are dumb) ... but agree with regards to RoY.

spursparker9
11-15-2023, 06:39 AM
I think this is the first time in his life that he lost so much points in a game...How many games with 40 points losses already?

Maybe D-Rob and Timmy didn't even experience 40 points losses before...

Gervin44Silas13
11-15-2023, 07:47 AM
they never did even the shitty Spurs teams of the past didnt have sorrid multiple defeats like this

dbestpro
11-15-2023, 07:54 AM
Poor shot selection is a result of poor point guard play. Everything that ails this team can be remedied by obtaining a nba level starting point guard. The idea of a positionless team is proving to be a farce.

Splits
11-15-2023, 07:56 AM
they never did even the shitty Spurs teams of the past didnt have sorrid multiple defeats like this

11 40+ point losses in franchise history, 2 of those in the past 11 games.

Trust the process.

adonis827
11-15-2023, 08:27 AM
Wemby is still leading the stats and defense and the focus of pretty much all the team he goes against. Chet is just more efficient as the 4th+ contributor of his team. Still Roy for me

DesignatedT
11-15-2023, 09:18 AM
Much different game today. 40 point loss today is equivalent to a 20 point loss fifteen years ago.

R. DeMurre
11-15-2023, 09:51 AM
In his latest Athletic article, John Hollinger talks about "non events" on defense and how they won't show up as stats, but are still important and noteworthy. Right now, Wemby looks like the king of defensive non events, with teams just constantly attacking whatever side he isn't on, and having great success with it. Chet looks great, but teams are going at Chet in a way they aren't with Victor.

spursparker9
11-15-2023, 09:59 AM
In his latest Athletic article, John Hollinger talks about "non events" on defense and how they won't show up as stats, but are still important and noteworthy. Right now, Wemby looks like the king of defensive non events, with teams just constantly attacking whatever side he isn't on, and having great success with it. Chet looks great, but teams are going at Chet in a way they aren't with Victor.

Agree that Victor will be at least all defensive 2nd team. But ROY might be hard if the Spurs keep losing and accumulating 40 pts losses. Especially if OKC get into top 4 seeds and Chet being efficient in his stats.

All Star reserve should be unlikely as coaches tend to vote for players with good winning records.

All Star Starter would depends if Wemby can keep on feeding the highlights with dunks and buckets and not bricking 3s.

SPURt
11-15-2023, 10:28 AM
Such strong predictions after 15% of the season has passed :lol Wemby doesn’t yet know what he needs to do night in and night out to be consistent. He’s nineteen and has next to no experience in the league. The rest of the team doesn’t know how to play with a player that has such strong gravity on both ends of the floor. Give it a little more time. If they can figure it out, this team is gonna go on a streak and then everyone is gonna seesaw the other way.

rascal
11-15-2023, 10:30 AM
He's still going to make the all star game and win ROTY.

cd98
11-15-2023, 10:40 AM

This. If he stays healthy and plays 70 games. I don't want to say he is an empty stat player, but he can rack up zero calorie points, rebounds, and assists even with the Spurs lose by 40. He won't make an All NBA team because he is not worthy of that and the Spurs defense is so horrid I don't think they can put him on an all defensive team unless they just surrender to gaudy block shot numbers. But an all star game is a popularity contest and he deserves to be there as one of the most popular players in the NBA. In fact, I guarantee that the league wants him there and will do what it takes to get him there. As for rookie of the year, they ignore team success and just look at the numbers and he should put up enough numbers along several statistical categories to rookie of the year.

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2023, 11:47 AM
I don't see Wemby making an All-Defensive team if he's part of the worst defense in NBA history tbh

Fusternino
11-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Honestly reminds me of LMA a bit. Unable to back down smaller guys who get leverage on him.

Kawhi Duncan
11-15-2023, 11:59 AM
His weakness is being exposed more and more with each passing game.

TO prone.
Poor shot selection.
Trying to dribble in front of NBA wings and guards and result in TO.

All 3 of those are coaching issues... Dude is an alpha, but he is young... So he WANTS to shoot and be the go to guy, but there's no offense structured around him... So he isn't being put in a position to succeed offensively... That's why he just does things on his own wherever he gets the ball?

DAF86
11-15-2023, 12:00 PM
Wemby is prefectly fine, Pop just has to start doing his damnn job and put him in better positions to make life easier for him.

Jordan Jackson
11-15-2023, 12:01 PM

Would be my guess as well. Most people see he’s not exactly playing with quality NBA talent. The roster construction is not his fault and he won’t be punished for it.

He’s doing a really good job given the circumstances and he will improve.

james evans
11-15-2023, 12:03 PM
I serously think we've got to move on from Popovich at this point. He's 74. We can't think long-term with a 74 year old coach. He will not be coaching with us 15 years from now(I hope not)

paperboy77
11-15-2023, 01:30 PM

paperboy77
11-15-2023, 01:31 PM
Much different game today. 40 point loss today is equivalent to a 20 point loss fifteen years ago.

Maybe a 30-35 point loss. 40 point losses are not very common in any era.

Pauleta14
11-15-2023, 04:44 PM
The Spurs limits and terrible roster is what is really exposed.

Wemby's TOs or bad shots selection is not only expected but directly limked to the roster's limits (settles for bad shots too often in parts bc isn't served or doesn't know where to be)

Chet's journey is way more comfortable than Victor's and should be taken into account when comparing

mudyez
11-15-2023, 06:29 PM

That absolutely is what I thought. It fits the eye test.

TheBallsbreakers
11-15-2023, 08:18 PM
This.

TheBallsbreakers
11-15-2023, 08:24 PM
Way to overreact after 11 games.
There's way too many games left to make that conclusion.

Also, it's as much on the FO and Pop as it is on Wemby and his teammates.
This whole "observe Wemby and experiment" hopefully won't run the entire season and ruin Wemby's start to his career. If the FO truly sees him as their franchise player they can't afford to displease him and his family. I get that it's about the team and winning but we gotta be lying if we say that accolades like ROY and the All-Star team don't mean anything to your budding franchise cornerstone.

HankChinaski
11-15-2023, 08:25 PM
His best shots inside the paint is when he only has to catch and shoot maybe a slight step back or turn around but doesn't put the basketball on the floor.

It seems like he is beating himself by trying to be too crafty or rushing himself when he wants to drive past his guy. He should just set and position himself and just simply rise up over the opponent with a jump shot.

Defensively I can't picture the issue in my head at the moment clearly.

OldMan88
11-17-2023, 12:48 AM
They keep saying Pop is in a watch & observe mode with Wemby. Wonder how long it will be until they take the information they’ve gathered on his style & preferences and start coaching & guiding the kid. If they don’t time this right, they could really hurt his confidence. Right now, Wemby is screwing up a lot on defense and looks lost on offense.

illusioNtEk
11-17-2023, 02:18 AM
Dude is fucking 19 years old calm down

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 02:52 AM
Dude is fucking 19 years old calm down

And leading all rookies in scoring in an absolutely stacked draft that's considered one of the best talent pools of the century even aside from Wemby.

HemisfairArena
11-17-2023, 03:36 AM
Wemby is a lock to win ROY even with the ole canker sore Pop as head coach,,,,,but youre right on the all star prediction,,,he wont be an all star this year,,,,

Vince Carter's ankle
11-17-2023, 05:48 AM
And leading all rookies in scoring in an absolutely stacked draft that's considered one of the best talent pools of the century even aside from Wemby.
incredible achievement lol
only three players, except Victor, score more than 10 points

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 03:15 PM
incredible achievement lol
only three players, except Victor, score more than 10 points

https://i.imgur.com/8fAovuG.png

Bruh. First of all, that is some sketchy counting on your part.

Secondly, there are 9 rooks scoring over 9 PPG. And aside from Chet, not a single one of them are even in Wemby's stratosphere. He's the 2nd youngest guy on this list and is clearly already the class of this class.

Texas_Ranger
11-17-2023, 03:20 PM
why would anyone want players that don't desreve to be a part of the All Star game play in it? Also, if OKC makes the playoffs and the Spurs have a top 3 worst record, Chet should be a clear ROTY... The problem is that the NBA wont have the balls to give it to him.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 03:32 PM
why would anyone want players that don't desreve to be a part of the All Star game play in it? Also, if OKC makes the playoffs and the Spurs have a top 3 worst record, Chet should be a clear ROTY... The problem is that the NBA wont have the balls to give it to him.

Bruh there are OKC fans that still vote for Westbrook to be in the ASG every year.

Texas_Ranger
11-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Bruh there are OKC fans that still vote for Westbrook to be in the ASG every year.

the fan vote is ridiculous, i think everyone knows that.

Sugus
11-17-2023, 06:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8fAovuG.png

Bruh. First of all, that is some sketchy counting on your part.

Secondly, there are 9 rooks scoring over 9 PPG. And aside from Chet, not a single one of them are even in Wemby's stratosphere. He's the 2nd youngest guy on this list and is clearly already the class of this class.

Jeez, some sweet, sweet data. It really matches the eye test - for all the dooming & glooming here, Wemby has made a tremendous impact in every one of his games so far. That just doesn't happen often.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2023, 10:03 PM
Jeez, some sweet, sweet data. It really matches the eye test - for all the dooming & glooming here, Wemby has made a tremendous impact in every one of his games so far. That just doesn't happen often.

He's head and shoulders above anyone else. Yeah, Chet might be having an impressive season but he's on a much better team. Imagine Wemby even right now with a couple of superstars around him like Dame or Luka. He would be catching 6-8 lobs per game for automatic points aside from everything else he's doing to score.

Frenchfred
11-17-2023, 10:12 PM
He's head and shoulders above anyone else. Yeah, Chet might be having an impressive season but he's on a much better team. Imagine Wemby even right now with a couple of superstars around him like Dame or Luka. He would be catching 6-8 lobs per game for automatic points aside from everything else he's doing to score.

Yes he would but that would be essentially because of the PG like Deandre Jordan with CP3. For sure Wemby needs a better PG to help him but right now he has a lot of work to do on his side: improve his shooting especially if he is going to continue taking so many threes, decrease his TO, improve his conditioning and maybe bulk up a little. He has huge potential but right he is a rookie making a lot of mistakes

baseline bum
11-17-2023, 10:20 PM
Yes he would but that would be essentially because of the PG like Deandre Jordan with CP3. For sure Wemby needs a better PG to help him but right now he has a lot of work to do on his side: improve his shooting especially if he is going to continue taking so many threes, decrease his TO, improve his conditioning and maybe bulk up a little. He has huge potential but right he is a rookie making a lot of mistakes

Yeah his lack of strength really limits him in the halfcourt. Once he's strong enough that he's an automatic score down low if you throw a SF on him so you're stuck putting a big on him I think you'll see his face up game flourish again like it did in France. But he's pretty far from that right now when he's getting locked down by Harrison Barnes on the low block.

ambchang
11-17-2023, 10:58 PM
At this point you’d have to be a homer to give it to wemby over Chet. Chet is clearly the better rookie right now. He could be better in the future but as of right now, after 11 games, Chet is clearly better.

There’s a reason Emeka okafor won Roy over Dwight. Everybody knew Dwight would be the better player eventually but for that one season okafor as better.

Tyronn Lue
11-17-2023, 11:04 PM
I think this is the first time in his life that he lost so much points in a game...How many games with 40 points losses already?

Maybe D-Rob and Timmy didn't even experience 40 points losses before...
I doubt many NBA players ever lost by so many points when they were dominating scrubs in their amateur days. It's a team struggle. If Victor played on a team with a superstar and some serviceable guards, he'd be winning more.

mudyez
11-17-2023, 11:35 PM
At this point you’d have to be a homer to give it to wemby over Chet. Chet is clearly the better rookie right now. He could be better in the future but as of right now, after 11 games, Chet is clearly better.

There’s a reason Emeka okafor won Roy over Dwight. Everybody knew Dwight would be the better player eventually but for that one season okafor as better.

Yeah, but that Emeka pick was one of those, the voters would have loved to get back.
I agree that Chet is as much as deserving as Wemby is at this point...this time we are on the hype side (not like with Tim/Kobe) and that feels weird.
I think Wemby still has a comfortable lead because of that and counting stats, but it would help not to finish as a bottom 3 team.

Jordan Jackson
11-17-2023, 11:48 PM
Teams are scheming to stop Wemby on the offensive end. Teams are scheming to avoid Wemby on the defensive end.
This thread is weird.

mudyez
11-17-2023, 11:50 PM
Teams are scheming to stop Wemby on the offensive end. Teams are scheming to avoid Wemby on the defensive end.
This thread is weird.

+1

Btw. I could see some FU mode from the one that doesn't get ROY. And if thats Wemby the league could be in trouble.

testies
11-17-2023, 11:51 PM
Ok so would you trade Wemby for Chet? Lmao nobody in their right mind would, or they would be sent to the ward

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 12:04 AM

Wow. Stupid Post of the Day winner!

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 12:06 AM
This thread is weird.
Yeah, the Spurs are struggling in part because every team now has the Spurs circled on their calendar. Victor is on a far worse and younger team and hasn't had an entire year with his team. He's 19 and by far the best player on the squad, warts and all.

John B
11-18-2023, 12:09 AM
Wemby sells, and is the future face of global basketball, like MJ and LeBron :vomit: , so the networks would push him hard to get ROY to add to his mystique.

baseline bum
11-18-2023, 12:12 AM

So everyone in the media is Spurs homers?

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 12:18 AM
I don't know how he's clearly better but putting up worse numbers in more minutes on a better team despite a year head start.

CorrectCrusader
11-18-2023, 12:20 AM
This thread is weird.

Lol it's very telling. They know he's the guy, and with the rest of our roster being so bad as it is, it's really a no brainer.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 12:27 AM
Lol it's very telling. They know he's the guy, and with the rest of our roster being so bad as it is, it's really a no brainer.

And not only has he been fairly impressive, his biggest mistakes have been self-inflicted. He's going to be really fucking good.

baseline bum
11-18-2023, 12:32 AM
Yeah, the Spurs are struggling in part because every team now has the Spurs circled on their calendar. Victor is on a far worse and younger team and hasn't had an entire year with his team. He's 19 and by far the best player on the squad, warts and all.

Can't imagine the numbers Vic would put up with SGA and Giddey feeding him. They'd probably win the title this year.

tbdog
11-18-2023, 12:46 AM
Hopefully a system gets put in place before the rodeo and reigns in his absurd 30% usage, and focus on quality.

Gagnrath
11-18-2023, 01:58 AM
I'm a bit perplexed overall. Last year the Spurs with mostly the same roster looked like they were a competitive point guard and an a legit first option away from being a 6 seed. They get the cherry of the draft and look worse this year than they did at the same point last year. I am pretty confused here. Get a generational player, look somehow worse. I don't know if there is a good explanation.

baseline bum
11-18-2023, 02:10 AM
I'm a bit perplexed overall. Last year the Spurs with mostly the same roster looked like they were a competitive point guard and an a legit first option away from being a 6 seed. They get the cherry of the draft and look worse this year than they did at the same point last year. I am pretty confused here. Get a generational player, look somehow worse. I don't know if there is a good explanation.

Sochan at point and playing a really hard schedule is a good start to explaining it.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 02:23 AM
Sochan at point and playing a really hard schedule is a good start to explaining it.
I disagree. Last year's Spurs were an afterthought to opponents who barely had to try. Nobody was on national TV against playoff teams. Sochan is a better point guard than Dejounte was at 21. And as poorly as they've started out, this year's Spurs are about the same winning percentage as last year.

Pauleta14
11-18-2023, 02:45 AM
Just imagine Chet with the Spurs and Wemby with OKC

Then give it to Wemby

playbonner15
11-18-2023, 03:18 AM
Opposing teams last year know Spurs were garbage so they tried to coast. This season, they show up to beat 'that generational player'

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-18-2023, 04:44 AM
Opposing teams last year know Spurs were garbage so they tried to coast. This season, they show up to beat 'that generational player'

BINGO!!!!

we are getting every teams best shot because of the hype Victor had coming into this season. Not to mention we are getting national television recognition. Teams are coming to make a statement versus the next big player and aren’t over looking us like last season.

even Sean Elliott stated this in one of the broadcast

ambchang
11-18-2023, 06:51 AM
Wow. Stupid Post of the Day winner!

Because of why? Chet puts up better numbers with better efficiency on a winning team. Even ESPN, who is leading the wemby hype train, ranked Chet over wemby.

Do you guys even know what Roty is? It’s not who will likely be a better player down the road award or who is the hype at young guy award.

Other than okafor over Dwight, we also had brogdan over embiid where embiid was on a hype train. It just didn’t perform as well due to injuries. Things like this happens.

Maybe wemby will improve and Chet will level off for the rest of the season (I think it would happen actually and wemby would still win roty) but at this point, after 11 games? Chet is clearly better.

ambchang
11-18-2023, 07:08 AM

ESPN just ranked Chet higher.

And yes, most of the media is still riding in hype now, but Chet has just been performing better so far. I still think wemby will end up with Roty, as I’m thinking PATFO will stop mucking around soon and actually get them to play professional level basketball and Chet will cool down from 3 for sure.

itzsoweezee
11-18-2023, 09:22 AM
but at this point, after 11 games? Chet is clearly better.

Lolololol

Chet’s not even the 4th option on his team. This is very easy guys. The guy carrying his team and putting up huge numbers is the better player and will wins over the efficient role player.

John B
11-18-2023, 10:33 AM

Soft tank while Wemby develops. Sochan at PG is not amounting to wins now but will develop his ball handling/ facilitating skills, then eventually they will get a true PG either by draft or trade. It’s another year of tanking for a BPA in the draft, hopefully a PG, while Wemby gets stronger. At least that’s how I see it.

KDKSpurs24
11-18-2023, 10:46 AM
BINGO!!!!

we are getting every teams best shot because of the hype Victor had coming into this season. Not to mention we are getting national television recognition. Teams are coming to make a statement versus the next big player and aren’t over looking us like last season.

even Sean Elliott stated this in one of the broadcast
Exactly! Our players have definitely gotten better than last year but they’re not ready for this level of competition and focus that other teams are bringing at them every night. It’s a whole other level. Opposing teams more than likely used to come into last year yawning at the thought of playing the Spurs to the point where their focus level didn’t even have to be all the way there to beat us. NOW everybody is up for playing against Wemby and bringing their A game. I think this is a huge factor in the outcomes of the games this year. This team isn’t good enough or ready for that every single game.

RC_Drunkford
11-18-2023, 11:15 AM

only Gregg Popovich can pull that off, by playing a PF at PG and not running any sets because „we want to see what we have“

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 01:08 PM
Because of why? Chet puts up better numbers with better efficiency on a winning team. Even ESPN, who is leading the wemby hype train, ranked Chet over wemby.

Do you guys even know what Roty is? It’s not who will likely be a better player down the road award or who is the hype at young guy award.

Other than okafor over Dwight, we also had brogdan over embiid where embiid was on a hype train. It just didn’t perform as well due to injuries. Things like this happens.

Maybe wemby will improve and Chet will level off for the rest of the season (I think it would happen actually and wemby would still win roty) but at this point, after 11 games? Chet is clearly better.
Not sure where you think you see this.

spurraider21
11-18-2023, 01:23 PM
Chet is asked to do like 3 very specific things and he is very good at those 3. Rim run, pick and pop, contest shots near the rim. He will very occasionally do something different like bring the ball up the court, or pump and drive, but his actions are typically limited to the first 3.

He’s also on a good team with structure which allows him to slot into such a defined role. Wemby is expected to basically be the structure on both ends. The disorganized nature of the team isn’t something he’s in control of. My main complaints about him are his shot selection in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, and his tendency to stop being engaged on defense when things are spiraling

MultiTroll
11-18-2023, 01:52 PM
:lmao Chet surrounded by good team and coach while Wemby trash coach and team.

No comparison.

Pauleta14
11-18-2023, 04:26 PM
Can't beleive there are Spurs fans who genuinely think Chet is more deserving than Victor up until now...

It's not even close :lol

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Chet is asked to do like 3 very specific things and he is very good at those 3. Rim run, pick and pop, contest shots near the rim. He will very occasionally do something different like bring the ball up the court, or pump and drive, but his actions are typically limited to the first 3.

He’s also on a good team with structure which allows him to slot into such a defined role. Wemby is expected to basically be the structure on both ends. The disorganized nature of the team isn’t something he’s in control of. My main complaints about him are his shot selection in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, and his tendency to stop being engaged on defense when things are spiraling

you hit the nail on the head.

Chet has everything way easier than Victor and has a very defined role. Victor is pretty much asked to do everything with not as good teammates. No disrespect to Chet because he is very good, but his situation is totally different and easier than Victor’s

Cry Havoc
11-18-2023, 07:06 PM
ESPN just ranked Chet higher.

And yes, most of the media is still riding in hype now, but Chet has just been performing better so far. I still think wemby will end up with Roty, as I’m thinking PATFO will stop mucking around soon and actually get them to play professional level basketball and Chet will cool down from 3 for sure.

You know you've completely lost the plot when you're listing anything espn says as a boon to your argument.

They thrive on drama and storylines, of course they're going to push a narrative about competition for the ROTY so when the thunder plays anyone they can bill it as a ROTY contender and when the Spurs show up they can have SAS talk for 20 minutes about how he knows both guys personally and thinks it's going to be two of the best rookies in the history of the universe competing. That's espn, and pretending like it's anything else to support your argument is silly. You're better than that, amb.

To say nothing of the fact that Wemby's raw numbers are better. Are you seriously pretending it's a knock on a rookie to post inefficient stats as the #1 option on a terrible team full of guys who are barely old enough to party at a bar after a game
Really?

But I guess if you out chet on the Spurs he'd average 33/18/7 on 70% shooting and be the unanimous MVP frontrunner. Because that's how it works when you put a rook on a bad team. And Wemby on okc? Shit that scrub would be lucky to see the court. Probably demote him to G league based on your comments here.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2023, 07:20 PM
If the entire season were to play out this way, with Victor taking bad shots and committing bad turnovers, I could see giving ROY to Chet. He definitely deserves some props because he is playing well. That's why ESPN threw him a bone.

That said, nobody but NOBODY thinks Victor isn't going to get better as the season continues. I would go further and say not a single person in their right mind thinks Chet is "clearly better".

If Vic struggles with this team into the new year, nobody on the team or on the staff is safe.

exstatic
11-18-2023, 08:08 PM

He’s a generational PROSPECT r/n, not a generational player, just yet.

Frenchfred
11-18-2023, 10:46 PM
Chet with 32 points, on 13/19, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block so far.

spursparker9
11-18-2023, 10:51 PM
Chet with 32 points, on 13/19, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block so far.

Brandon Miller had a career high with 29 pts as well today

HemisfairArena
11-18-2023, 10:53 PM
Its a marathon, not a sprint and Wemby will win ROY but he's gonna start hatin' life on this sorry sack of shit team,,,,,and thats gonna spell trouble,,,,,

spursparker9
11-18-2023, 10:58 PM
DPOY is definitely impossible. This award is usually given to the best DP on a Great defensive team. Spurs is dead last in defensive rating and giving up 130 pts per game.

ROY would depend on Chet's contribution to OKC and OKC's overall record.

All-Star would be either Starter (voted in underserved by irrational fans) or not an All-Star at all (unlikely coaches will vote Wemby in).

Only assured award would be all-defensive 2nd team. If Wemby stays healthy enough and play enough games.

Frenchfred
11-18-2023, 11:11 PM
Its a marathon, not a sprint and Wemby will win ROY but he's gonna start hatin' life on this sorry sack of shit team,,,,,and thats gonna spell trouble,,,,,

Wemby needs to improve his FG% and lower his TOs to earn ROY.

ambchang
11-18-2023, 11:37 PM
You know you've completely lost the plot when you're listing anything espn says as a boon to your argument.

They thrive on drama and storylines, of course they're going to push a narrative about competition for the ROTY so when the thunder plays anyone they can bill it as a ROTY contender and when the Spurs show up they can have SAS talk for 20 minutes about how he knows both guys personally and thinks it's going to be two of the best rookies in the history of the universe competing. That's espn, and pretending like it's anything else to support your argument is silly. You're better than that, amb.

To say nothing of the fact that Wemby's raw numbers are better. Are you seriously pretending it's a knock on a rookie to post inefficient stats as the #1 option on a terrible team full of guys who are barely old enough to party at a bar after a game
Really?

But I guess if you out chet on the Spurs he'd average 33/18/7 on 70% shooting and be the unanimous MVP frontrunner. Because that's how it works when you put a rook on a bad team. And Wemby on okc? Shit that scrub would be lucky to see the court. Probably demote him to G league based on your comments here.

I didn’t look at hypotheticals. Clearly Chet is surrounded by better teammates and he’s not even his teams best player and wemby is clearly his teams best player, but results matter, and the fact is that the spurs are not better than last year (some would argue worse) while the thunder is much improved with Chet. Chet also is way more efficient and puts up great numbers, wemby put up great numbers with horrible efficiencies.

At the end results matter.

Cry Havoc
11-18-2023, 11:45 PM
At the end results matter.

https://i.imgur.com/0jNRXTC.png

For the Rookie of the Year award?

Based on fucking what?

I must have missed it when the Magic made a run at a 2 seed last year, or when Lamelo Ball led his team to a 60 win season. And who can forget the best in the league Mavericks when Luka was a rook... oh wait, that was a 33 win team.

Love that you're coming up with this random criteria to justify downplaying Wemby's season.

TD 21
11-19-2023, 12:14 AM

Based on fucking what?

I must have missed it when the Magic made a run at a 2 seed last year, or when Lamelo Ball led his team to a 60 win season. And who can forget the best in the league Mavericks when Luka was a rook... oh wait, that was a 33 win team.

Love that you're coming up with this random criteria to justify downplaying Wemby's season.

Exactly. The moving of the goalposts here is ridiculous. Banchero won over Williams just last season with the usual greater volume but lesser efficiency stats because it was argued that he had the far more difficult task as the 1st option, on a worse team.

Suddenly, the second the Spurs get one of the GOAT prospects and the competitor is a white American, everything's changed.

Teamduncan21
11-19-2023, 01:06 AM
Exactly. The moving of the goalposts here is ridiculous. Banchero won over Williams just last season with the usual greater volume but lesser efficiency stats because it was argued that he had the far more difficult task as the 1st option, on a worse team.

Suddenly, the second the Spurs get one of the GOAT prospects and the competitor is a white American, everything's changed.

I don't think it has anything to do with race.
People are just emotional because of the losses.

It's quite rare for high rank rookies to be winning. But chet is a bit unique (aside from this is his second year)

But in general wins doesn't count as much for rookie of the year.

Texas_Ranger
11-19-2023, 02:50 AM

Based on fucking what?

Orlando had like 5 less wins last year than OKC, and Paolo was clearly better than Williams. Dallas had 33 wins, but Traes and Aytons teams were even worse. Same with Lamelo who had 10 or more wins than Edwards Minnesota, plus the stats of those two were pretty close.... if OKC has 20 more wins than the Spurs this year, while Chet playing the way he is, he should get the award. Also, its pretty clear than on the Spurs, he would have even better stats.

ambchang
11-19-2023, 08:16 AM

Based on fucking what?

Orlando had. 12 game improvement with the only competition being Williams, who’s team improved due to shai’s step up to superstardom.
Charlotte 10 games when ball put up lesser raw numbers than Edwards
Dallas had a 9 game improvement and his only competition that year was Trae, who put up scoring numbers with horrible efficiencies on a team that didn’t improve.

These examples actually strengthened my point. Thanks.

Gagnrath
11-19-2023, 09:02 AM
you hit the nail on the head.

Chet has everything way easier than Victor and has a very defined role. Victor is pretty much asked to do everything with not as good teammates. No disrespect to Chet because he is very good, but his situation is totally different and easier than Victor’s

Chet also had a year of being around the team and integration even though he was hobbled for it.

TD 21
11-19-2023, 12:19 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with race.
People are just emotional because of the losses.

It's quite rare for high rank rookies to be winning. But chet is a bit unique (aside from this is his second year)

But in general wins doesn't count as much for rookie of the year.

I actually meant more so the national media discourse.

It is, but he got drafted to a team that was already on the rise and poised to take another step this season.

He's been excellent in his role, but it's a much easier one than Wembanyama's and the latter's is typically what wins it . . . so what's changed?

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-19-2023, 01:22 PM
Chet also had a year of being around the team and integration even though he was hobbled for it.

Very true. Him being around the same guys he would play with helped him create a better understanding of how they can maximize each other’s talents.

I’m not taking anything away from Chet because he has been great, but his situation is definitely more ideal for winning and helping him be as good as he has been.