PDA

View Full Version : WHO's TO BLAME

Portnoy1000
12-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Why are the Spurs so bad? Who is to blame? How do they fix it? We've pondered these questions for weeks. While many will blame Pop's coaching, the Talent acquired, Lack of defensive intensity, the answer lies in the Spurs history and when you take a deeper look, it becomes very concerning.

The date is June 13th, 1988, the Spurs have hired a head coach by the name of Larry Brown. He brings with him two assistant coaches that we have come to know well. Gregg Popovich and RC Buford. The Spurs have a horrible first season under Brown. However, they have some young players that will transform the franchise. Coming over they have the 1987 No. 1 Pick David Robinson who many expect to propel the franchise to new heights. They also drafted a young swingman in Brown's first year named Willie Anderson and in 1989 drafted Sean Elliott. These players along with others will give them a young Nucleus. However, the leader of the team for the last few years was a 26-year-old incredible two-way Guard and 3-time all-star named Alvin Robertson. Robertson was a solid player but also not a good teammate. The Spurs make sure they do two things before Robinson Arrives (1) Give him and Allstar Vet and (2) A veteran point Guard. On May 28th, 1989, They Traded Alvin Robertson for an all-star veteran and leader Terry Cummings. Then on August 28th, 1989, they traded for veteran Point Guard and 3-time all-star Maurice Cheeks. The end result ended up being a 50 plus win season with a young nucleus.

The date is June 25th, 1997, the Spurs draft No. 1 pick Tim Duncan. Similar to what happened with David Robinson's rookie season the Spurs previous season was terrible. However, Tim Duncan started his career with two things, (1) an all-star veteran (David Robinson) and a veteran point guard (Avery Johnson) The end result was a 50+ win season and an eventual championship the next season.

Fast Forward to today. A No.1 pick was acquired (one who is said to be generational talent). Based off history the expectation is that he will be provided with a veteran all-star and a veteran point guard. This has been a part of the formula that has made the Spurs successful. However, there is no Allstar veteran provided to Wemby only an oft injured Zach Collins. They do not have a veteran point guard only a 6-8 experiment known as Jeremy Sochan. The Spurs have currently lost 14 games in a row and most of them have not been close. These experiments are not by accident. The Spurs could have traded for an all-star and signed or traded for a veteran point guard, as they have assets in young players and draft picks. If the Spurs finish with a worst record than they had prior to drafting a Phenom, with assets available to make moves, would your run of the mill coach and or GM be able to keep his job? NO.
Keep in mind that Gregg Popovich fired a coach that went 3-15 that didn't have his all-star Center, and also previously had two 50-win seasons.

The real and disturbing reason the Spurs are struggling is because after winning 5 Championships, Gregg Popovich a hall of fame coach has no one to answer to, no accountability. As evidenced by the lack of moves the Spurs have made to support Wemby with competent veteran talent. Pop runs the team like a man who can't get fired and doesn't have to answer to anyone. And you know what? Sadly, for us, He's Right!

BacktoBasics
12-04-2023, 08:18 PM
I know for a fact that it’s unfathomable to rebuild. How dare we not rebuild into a championship contender inside of 2 years. We should be able to fully develop a rookie in about 3 months. Just no fucking excuse.

exstatic
12-04-2023, 08:18 PM
You are to blame for not listening to offseason interviews, and setting your expectations accordingly.

They traded for Cummings and Mo Cheeks, who hated it here, and lived at the airport hotel until he was flipped for Strickland. That team didn’t even last 3 years, with an aging Cummings blowing out his knee, and Strickland walking. We spent our only asset, a young All D, All Star, All NBA guard, and got one second round trip, and never recovered until we won the lottery again, 8 years later. Adding vets immediately isn’t always the answer.

scott
12-04-2023, 09:08 PM
You are to blame for not listening to offseason interviews, and setting your expectations accordingly.

They traded for Cummings and Mo Cheeks, who hated it here, and lived at the airport hotel until he was flipped for Strickland. That team didn’t even last 3 years, with an aging Cummings blowing out his knee, and Strickland walking. We spent our only asset, a young All D, All Star, All NBA guard, and got one second round trip, and never recovered until we won the lottery again, 8 years later. Adding vets immediately isn’t always the answer.

You keep talking about how these roster moves were a failure because Cummings blew out his knee and Strickland left in FA (only after Primo'ing himself in a Seattle hotel, which kicked off a career racking up a rap sheet).

The reality is that the Cummings (28 yo at the time) trade is one of the 4 best trade acquisitions in Spurs history (in no particular order, Gervin, Gilmore, Nephew, Cummings are easily in the top 5). Cummings first 3 years in San Antonio he put up 22/8, 17/8, 17/9 while averaging 30+ mpg every season. After his injury he wasn't the same, but still went on to play 10 more NBA seasons. His presence helped the Pre-Duncan era Spurs to be perennial playoff contenders, which would last for the next 30 years or so, but because he blew out his knee in a freak accident it would have been better to do what... let Alvin Robinson be a locker room cancer? Get another lotter pick and draft Felton Spencer or Rumeal Robinson or some shit?

We didn't go this direction this time around (though I would have liked us to, it's not clear what options there actually were to do so. FVV and Dillon Brooks definitely don't do it for me), and that's okay. But it's revisionist history to say this was a failure and set us back until we won the lottery again, especially considering since Robinson's rookie season through Duncan's (8 seasons) we made the playoffs ever year, won the division 4 times, had 3 WC semis appearances and 1 WCF appearance. Hardly seems like we "never recovered" from Trading Alvin Robertson, especially considering how Robertson's performance fell off a cliff after the trade and he dealt with his own legal troubles

ambchang
12-04-2023, 10:33 PM
The Robinson era didn’t ring because they had a terrible back court and the owners were cheap bastards.

Lloyd Daniels was supposed to be a saviour of the team. Antoine Carr? Rodman? Negele knight? Avery Johnson? Vinny del negro? Dale Ellis was over the hill. Those were some terrible teams with Sean Elliott being the only other player who should be on a championship roster. It’s a testament to how dominant the twin towers defence was by winning the title with Avery Johnson starting.

If we keep building off of players with little talent then It would be a repeat of this, unless we can wait 8 Years and another generational talent falls on our lap.

The Duncan spurs won in 99 because there were strong championship winning vets and a well constructed group who compliments each other. The spurs don’t right now.

onechance87
12-04-2023, 11:06 PM
the gm gonna have to take the blame....They said they were gonna wait see what they got....and then
signed collins to a ext....And its hes not looking good next to wemby at all,That looks like a bad move
from us already...we should of just waited

baseline bum
12-04-2023, 11:09 PM

TC was like 8 months older than Alvin and Alvin's last good season was 91-92. The Spurs won that trade. Don't really see any issue with trading Johnny Dawkins for Mo Cheeks either, especially since they flipped Cheeks into Strickland. The Spurs' problems were Red McCombs not being willing to spend for a title and gutting the team instead and getting unlucky with Terry Cummings' knee (instead of getting unlucky with Alvin Robertson's spousal abuse).

baseline bum
12-04-2023, 11:12 PM
The Robinson era didn’t ring because they had a terrible back court and the owners were cheap bastards.

Lloyd Daniels was supposed to be a saviour of the team. Antoine Carr? Rodman? Negele knight? Avery Johnson? Vinny del negro? Dale Ellis was over the hill. Those were some terrible teams with Sean Elliott being the only other player who should be on a championship roster. It’s a testament to how dominant the twin towers defence was by winning the title with Avery Johnson starting.

If we keep building off of players with little talent then It would be a repeat of this, unless we can wait 8 Years and another generational talent falls on our lap.

The Duncan spurs won in 99 because there were strong championship winning vets and a well constructed group who compliments each other. The spurs don’t right now.

Ugh the three headed point guard of Negele Knight / Chris Whitney / Vinny Del Negro when McCombs was too cheap to pay Strickland was terrible.

CGD
12-04-2023, 11:22 PM
Interesting trips down memory lane aside, I fail to see how any of this is relevant to the present day.

The reality is the Spurs need a talent upgrade and that, in addition to drafting talent, they will start flipping players on the current roster for better pieces (including for vets). The name of the game is asset preservation until then. It’s no accident that Collins and Tre, for example, only got two year deals, and that Keldon's deal declines over time. Very movable and enticing for other teams.

TimmyBuckets
12-05-2023, 02:15 AM
You and every delusional fan. What a ludicrous question. Spurs get "the greatest pick of all time," and this is the question you ask? ST is the very definition of you can't have anything nice.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-05-2023, 05:49 AM
Prisons are full of people looking for someone to blame for their problems.

Brazil
12-05-2023, 07:47 AM
:lol who to blame for what exactly ?

Were you expecting the Spurs to be contender this year ?

Spurs made moves the last couple of years to tank and pick the most hyped prospect since Lebron... they achieved just that plus still tons of draft picks, tons of cap, got Vassel who looks a potential solid starter, have some other prospects to work with... and cherry on the cake are in position to get another high pick next year.

To top it Victor has been healthy, he is putting historical numbers as a rookie and is showing he has the clutch gene... yeah we are doomed smh

This losing streak sucks for the fans but, in the great scheme of things, is not that big of a deal.

KobesAchilles
12-05-2023, 07:50 AM
Ultimately it’s the fans who are to blame. For not listening to ol KA. I’ve said from the beginning that this would happen and everyone jumped all over me. I warned people that we could soon be the Sacramento Kings (during their yearly losing streak) and become a bad organization. But I was chastised profusely for having such an opinion.

Organizations start from the top down. And ultimately, it’s on the Holts to steer the direction of the ship. And I don’t believe they know how to do it.
It’s time to have Pop step down. Fans(by definition) are too emotional. Logically, Pop hasn’t lived up to his contract. And for the past 5 years I would argue he hasn’t lived up to it. But he’s been here forever so we keep him. He’s won before so we keep him but literally no other coach could do as bad as Pop (except Monty!).

Our owners are clueless, our coach is bad, our GM we think is pretty good but drafting is a crap shoot and a few bad picks can ruin the franchise. Our assistant coaches are yes men who don’t actually do what assistants are supposed to do and really aren’t teaching our players at all. We have a serious lack of talent in 3 out of 5 positions and are playing almost everybody out of position anyways all for the sake of positionless basketball which we can’t play very well. And we still have many on here that argue for us to play like shit. It’s amazing.

Boys this years draft and offseason is the 4th most important in franchise history. We have the franchise player, we have the number 3 player. We have quality bench players in KJ Sochan and Jones. Can we trade for a vet and he’s going to be overpriced too. Can we draft an eventual number two guy? Idk. Ideally we get Paul George and some other cheap vets to fill out the roster and cut bait on quite a bit of the youth. But a lot of people have loser mentality now on this board and I ask them how long are we supposed to miss the playoffs for? Bc it’s been 5 years. Next year will be 6. And that can snowball into 10 easier than you think.

exstatic
12-05-2023, 09:45 AM

Spurs made moves the last couple of years to tank and pick the most hyped prospect since Lebron... they achieved just that plus still tons of draft picks, tons of cap, got Vassel who looks a potential solid starter, have some other prospects to work with... and cherry on the cake are in position to get another high pick next year.

To top it Victor has been healthy, he is putting historical numbers as a rookie and is showing he has the clutch gene... yeah we are doomed smh

This losing streak sucks for the fans but, in the great scheme of things, is not that big of a deal.

So
Much
This

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 10:38 AM
Honestly I didn’t expect the Spurs to contend for a title for a few years and I didn’t expect them to make the playoffs this year either. The Spurs (Pop) really hasn’t given Wemby a supporting cast, starting off with trying Sochan out at point guard. That’s like getting Ferrari and then using that to train a new driver. Experimenting , was last year. Now it’s time to legitimately build and make some moves. The only player right now with all-star potential is Vassell. Outside of that everyone is a mid to low quality role player (yes, Keldon talent-wise is a role player). The spurs have assets and it’s time to use some of them to start gaining stability. This is the first time I’ve seen the spurs have a no. 1 pick and still look incredibly bad. Based off history and how the spurs run there Organization this is uncharted territory and it doesn’t look good.

exstatic
12-05-2023, 10:41 AM
Honestly I didn’t expect the Spurs to contend for a title for a few years and I didn’t expect them to make the playoffs this year either. The Spurs (Pop) really hasn’t given Wemby a supporting cast, starting off with trying Sochan out at point guard. That’s like getting Ferrari and then using that to train a new driver. Experimenting , was last year. Now it’s time to legitimately build and make some moves. The only player right now with all-star potential is Vassell. Outside of that everyone is a mid to low quality role player (yes, Keldon talent-wise is a role player). The spurs have assets and it’s time to use some of them to start gaining stability.

Except that's exactly what they said they weren't doing, so if You're disappointed or pissed, that's on you.

High level players are never traded unless they force their way out, and we would never be their chosen destination. They won't come here as FAs, either. That leaves the draft, which is the point of the second tank.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 10:45 AM
This is uncharted territory, so I ask you, what’s the expectation as far as success? Playoffs Wemby year 3? championship contention Wemby year 5?

exstatic
12-05-2023, 10:51 AM
This is uncharted territory, so I ask you, what’s the expectation as far as success? Playoffs Wemby year 3? championship contention Wemby year 5?

The consensus seems to be that he will be the best player on offense and defense in year 3. He might already be the best defender. My thought is that SA will make the play in next season and the playoffs the following season, the depth of the run dependent on who we draft this summer with our high pick. That player will be at the end of his second season when I think we'll be a playoff team.

MultiTroll
12-05-2023, 11:00 AM
The consensus seems to be that he will be the best player on offense and defense in year 3. He might already be the best defender. My thought is that SA will make the play in next season and the playoffs the following season, the depth of the run dependent on who we draft this summer with our high pick. That player will be at the end of his second season when I think we'll be a playoff team.
Wemby is easily already the Spurs best defender.
2. That draft pick better be fantastic if he is going to lift the Pop Show from this current All Time Loser level to Play In his 1st season ("by the end of next regular season").

Praying dog jpeg some kind of free agent or trade scenarios take place.

exstatic
12-05-2023, 11:02 AM
Wemby is easily already the Spurs best defender.
2. That draft pick better be fantastic if he is going to lift the Pop Show from this current All Time Loser level to Play In his 1st season ("by the end of next regular season").

Praying dog jpeg some kind of free agent or trade scenarios take place.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. 'Best' means best in the NBA.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 11:05 AM
Let me get your thoughts, cause you seem like someone who thinks deeply about stuff unlike most here. Your post about players not coming here etc. You’re definitely right from a free agent standpoint, but If the Spurs traded for an allstar type (Jrue Holliday, Myles Turner etc). Would your concern be the Spurs giving up assets to get someone and that guy force their way out and screw the Spurs aka Kawhi?

exstatic
12-05-2023, 11:20 AM
Let me get your thoughts, cause you seem like someone who thinks deeply about stuff unlike most here. Your post about players not coming here etc. You’re definitely right from a free agent standpoint, but If the Spurs traded for an allstar type (Jrue Holliday, Myles Turner etc). Would your concern be the Spurs giving up assets to get someone and that guy force their way out and screw the Spurs aka Kawhi?

Jrue is my guy, but he’s 33 1/2 years old. Myles has never been an All Star or a healthy player, yet Indy would want a huge part of our pick bag for him.

I’d love to get ahold of Cason Wallace, but it would be difficult. He’s a guy in that Jrue/Brogdon/Conley mold, a tough point of attack defender who can distribute and score, but doesn’t need a ton of shots to be effective.

rjv
12-05-2023, 11:26 AM
the spurs don't have to be the rockets right now. they don't have to waste cap space on 2nd and 3rd tier free agents just so that they can fight for a play-in spot. they're going to be bad this year and anyone else who thought that this season was going to be significantly better than this year was being unrealistic. the spurs tanked to get a shot at wemby and that involved getting rid of some players that were starters and/or key pieces in the rotation. they did not seek to replace those missing pieces this past off season which was very prudent. that the spurs have the record they do playing the schedule that they've played so far should not be the least bit puzzling.

MultiTroll
12-05-2023, 11:34 AM
In the eyes of other teams:

How unloadable is KJ? Is he getting more tradeable or less?

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 11:49 AM
In the eyes of other teams:

How unloadable is KJ? Is he getting more tradeable or less?
Not sure honestly. I always felt he was overrated and simply a try hard player. Dude wouldn’t have gotten the time of day if not for LMA being allergic to getting Rebounds in his final year here. Then again that’s understandable considering his heart condition. But my issue with KJ is he was always in the middle. Not really someone you can give the ball to and say go to work. He’s not someone that can really play defense (to slow to guard your wings, but too small to guard your prototype 4). Yeah he plays with heart, so do alot of players. If the Spurs make any moves now or next season , I would definitely want him included.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 11:56 AM
You mentioned a second tank. I just feel it’s a dangerous game to play trying to tank with a top player. Thankfully he’s 19 but I look at the sizers back in 2013 and how many years it took them doing that tank job and it only yielded a second round playoff appearance and that was year 5 of tanking I believe (2018). Could be wrong though

MultiTroll
12-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Not sure honestly. I always felt he was overrated and simply a try hard player. Dude wouldn’t have gotten the time of day if not for LMA being allergic to getting Rebounds in his final year here. Then again that’s understandable considering his heart condition. But my issue with KJ is he was always in the middle. Not really someone you can give the ball to and say go to work. He’s not someone that can really play defense (to slow to guard your wings, but too small to guard your prototype 4). Yeah he plays with heart, so do alot of players. If the Spurs make any moves now or next season , I would definitely want him included.
Concur.
Since he is not going to be on a Wemby Championship team, when is the max value time to unload him?
Not sure if currently some other teams are saying "Hey that guy can score" or saying "Sheesh what a ballhog." If not scoring can't do anything else well.
I hope he's not one of Pops Pets, altho that is a possibility.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 12:29 PM
Concur.
Since he is not going to be on a Wemby Championship team, when is the max value time to unload him?
Not sure if currently some other teams are saying "Hey that guy can score" or saying "Sheesh what a ballhog." If not scoring can't do anything else well.
I hope he's not one of Pops Pets, altho that is a possibility.
Tehnically, the trade should have been made right after we found out we had the No. 1 pick. That would have been the highest value. Now he’s a third fiddle on a bad team as opposed to THE GUY putting numbers on an equally bad team. The longer the Spurs wait to move him the more his value will Drop as Wemby and even Vassell to a degree ascend

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2023, 12:37 PM
TC was like 8 months older than Alvin and Alvin's last good season was 91-92. The Spurs won that trade. Don't really see any issue with trading Johnny Dawkins for Mo Cheeks either, especially since they flipped Cheeks into Strickland. The Spurs' problems were Red McCombs not being willing to spend for a title and gutting the team instead and getting unlucky with Terry Cummings' knee (instead of getting unlucky with Alvin Robertson's spousal abuse).

Yeah I was pretty psyched about having TC on the roster. He was a perfect fit next to David. I think he averaged something like 22 and 8 David's rookie season and they were just a good tandem. He was great teammate and character guy. His knee issues certainly hurt the team, and really left the Admiral without a solid first mate. David deserved a little more help than he had with McCombs cheap-assedness. Robinson could probably be in the top ten argument if he'd of had any sort of reasonable playoff worthy supporting cast around him during his prime.

baseline bum
12-05-2023, 12:44 PM
Yeah I was pretty psyched about having TC on the roster. He was a perfect fit next to David. I think he averaged something like 22 and 8 David's rookie season and they were just a good tandem. He was great teammate and character guy. His knee issues certainly hurt the team, and really left the Admiral without a solid first mate. David deserved a little more help than he had with McCombs cheap-assedness. Robinson could probably be in the top ten argument if he'd of had any sort of reasonable playoff worthy supporting cast around him during his prime.

Even just keeping Strickland would have probably been enough to ring in 1995. Especially since they would have never brought scrub ass Del Negro in then.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 12:50 PM
Even just keeping Strickland would have probably been enough to ring in 1995. Especially since they would have never brought scrub ass Del Negro in then.
Rocket Rod was great, but not a guy you’d want in your locker. His history is pretty bad actually and not just with the Spurs. During his tenure with the Spurs, late for practices (during playoffs mind you), late for flights and then add to that his off court stuff that happened here. Then to top it off, after the bitter contract dispute they signed him to a one year deal during the 91-92 season had enough and even tried desperately to trade him by the deadline and there were no takers, so they played out the season with him and then he went to Portland after that. Also he (along with Willie Anderson) had no jumpshot, allowing guys to double off David And TC. Rocket had skills but he was an issue in the locker room and off the court. Even today, he described his conduct in the league as unprofessional. Those are his words��

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2023, 01:00 PM
Rocket Rod was great, but not a guy you’d want in your locker. His history is pretty bad actually and not just with the Spurs. During his tenure with the Spurs, late for practices (during playoffs mind you), late for flights and then add to that his off court stuff that happened here. Then to top it off, after the bitter contract dispute they signed him to a one year deal during the 91-92 season had enough and even tried desperately to trade him by the deadline and there were no takers, so they played out the season with him and then he went to Portland after that. Also he (along with Willie Anderson) had no jumpshot, allowing guys to double off David And TC. Rocket had skills but he was an issue in the locker room and off the court. Even today, he described his conduct in the league as unprofessional. Those are his words��

He definitely was immature. But I'm with BB on Vinny...that's not a point guard you have if you have any designs on trying to win a championship.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 01:14 PM
He definitely was immature. But I'm with BB on Vinny...that's not a point guard you have if you have any designs on trying to win a championship.
Vinny D was
definitely not the answer. That’s why they settled on Avery and he was the solid floor general from there. The issue wasn’t just Vinny. The spurs during the David/TC/Sean lineup were notorious for not being able to shoot from the outside. Bob Bass even said how tired he was of that sinking sagging defense teams would play. That’s why you seen Lloyd Daniel’s and Vinny Del Negro come into the run the point initially. Add in Dale Ellis who they had been trying to get during the previous season. It was about shooting and the spurs figured if they got a guy who could simply bring the ball up and hit shots (think John Paxton) they would be fine.
ofcourse they were wrong though lol.

Portnoy1000
12-05-2023, 01:24 PM
That’s the other thing I wonder about. If Spurs got Dale Ellis the previous season I wonder how they would have done in the playoffs. You have TC balling out with David and Sean and then Ellis would just be there bombing away when they say off. There was a deal in place that year. Dale Ellis and Jeff Grayer for Willie Anderson and Paul Pressey. Spurs didn’t pull the trigger though. Spurs got Ellis next year but TC had blown out his knee by then.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2023, 03:50 PM
That’s the other thing I wonder about. If Spurs got Dale Ellis the previous season I wonder how they would have done in the playoffs. You have TC balling out with David and Sean and then Ellis would just be there bombing away when they say off. There was a deal in place that year. Dale Ellis and Jeff Grayer for Willie Anderson and Paul Pressey. Spurs didn’t pull the trigger though. Spurs got Ellis next year but TC had blown out his knee by then.

Yeah, the sagging defenses killed David in that infamous series against Houston, plus our single covering of Hakeem. If the Spurs could have kept opposing defenses honest it's scary to think about what Robinson's stats would have looked like. He'd of made Giannis look like a high schooler.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Yeah, the sagging defenses killed David in that infamous series against Houston, plus our single covering of Hakeem. If the Spurs could have kept opposing defenses honest it's scary to think about what Robinson's stats would have looked like. He'd of made Giannis look like a high schooler.
Don Nelson taught the world how to beat the Spurs, which is why they were upset nearly every year in the playoffs. Robinson carried terrible teammates for a decade.

RC_Drunkford
12-07-2023, 03:14 AM
"who's to blame?"

:pop:

Big Empty
12-07-2023, 05:15 AM
PG
Vassel
Sochan
Wemby
C

Collins and Keldon come off the bench snd we either draft or trade for a Center and PG. lets start here

Obstructed_View
12-07-2023, 06:19 AM
Clearly, all the Spurs' problems are Jeremy Sochan's fault. :lol

rascal
12-07-2023, 10:59 PM
PG
Vassel
Sochan
Wemby
C

Collins and Keldon come off the bench snd we either draft or trade for a Center and PG. lets start here

Don't like Sochan at the 3. Spurs need a better player who can shoot at the 3 and create his own offense, a borderline all star go to scorer.

spurs1990
12-08-2023, 01:24 AM
Lots of good info shared on this thread by folks who were there following it. In these days it was not possible to follow a team out of town as you had no access to newspaper or radio coverage. It wasn’t until late 1994 when you could access uploaded newspaper article via Compuserve or AOL, but had to be sought. By early 1996, WWW was brawny enough to both gain day-old real time reporting, and interact with regular folk to bandy.

So all Spurs info before 1995’s WCF run I’m learning it here from y’all. Big ups to everyone for painting the stories by memory

HemisfairArena
12-08-2023, 02:06 AM
Ive been sayin' we're gonna lose Wemby with this tanking bullshit and glad to see others coming around to the notion,,,,the kid said he wanted to win now and he wasnt blowin' smoke,,,,Spurs have now wasted 25% of his 4 year contract on this train wreck and better start swingin' for the fences in trades. I still stand by the idea that we should have went for Lilliard. And with the old school talk, the worst waste of talent because he had nothing around him while in a Spurs uniform was Alvin Robertson,,,his life went to shit off the court after that,,,,Spurs where floundering around after that bringing in Microwave Vinny Johnson, Terry Cummings, Moses Malone,,,,ect

offset formation
12-09-2023, 09:33 AM

I had hopes of a 35 win team. Clearly that's pie in the sky stuff. but I certainly didn't predict a likely worse season with the best overall player.

What it says, plainly, Is that this roster has GAPING holes and needs a redo from bottom to top.

In my eyes through the first 20 games, the only players you bring back next year are Wemby, Bassey, Osman, Barlow, Cissoko, Sandro. I'd bring back Sochan and Vassell only if they learn to play with a little fire under their ass by year's end. Those two to me are where this team falters the most. They should both be better and more consistent defensively. But Vassell seems to just get beat too often and Sochan seems to drift in and out of trying from possession to possession. Vassell also is injury prone and really bad at finding Wemby.

KJ, Collins (not for lack of effort or BB IQ in his case), Jones (just too small), Branham, Champ, McDermott, and any others simply haven't shown what they need to, to grow with this team long term.

So while you're clearly right this team was not playoff bound coming into the year, we absolutely should have been on the fringes, not tied for the worst mark in the league. With the worst NBA defensive rating in the NBA when Victor is off the court. Worse than last years historically awful squad. Unacceptable shit. Changes have to be made.

offset formation
12-09-2023, 09:38 AM
Lots of good info shared on this thread by folks who were there following it. In these days it was not possible to follow a team out of town as you had no access to newspaper or radio coverage. It wasn’t until late 1994 when you could access uploaded newspaper article via Compuserve or AOL, but had to be sought. By early 1996, WWW was brawny enough to both gain day-old real time reporting, and interact with regular folk to bandy.

So all Spurs info before 1995’s WCF run I’m learning it here from y’all. Big ups to everyone for painting the stories by memory

Sportscenter was on all throughout the 80s, and most everyone had access to it by 1990 or so, IIRC. Pretty sure that helped fuel my Fandom during those years with Strick, TC, etc.

BackHome
12-09-2023, 11:07 AM
Don't like Sochan at the 3. Spurs need a better player who can shoot at the 3 and create his own offense, a borderline all star go to scorer.

Well better start praying that we tank again next year because no player in this years draft can do that at the 3. Lol

BackHome
12-09-2023, 11:17 AM
Ive been sayin' we're gonna lose Wemby with this tanking bullshit and glad to see others coming around to the notion,,,,the kid said he wanted to win now and he wasnt blowin' smoke,,,,Spurs have now wasted 25% of his 4 year contract on this train wreck and better start swingin' for the fences in trades. I still stand by the idea that we should have went for Lilliard. And with the old school talk, the worst waste of talent because he had nothing around him while in a Spurs uniform was Alvin Robertson,,,his life went to shit off the court after that,,,,Spurs where floundering around after that bringing in Microwave Vinny Johnson, Terry Cummings, Moses Malone,,,,ect

For the most times if you get the number 1 pick your team is pretty shitty and your definitely not going to turn it around their first year. Oh and what rookie is Not going to say “They want to win now” and Wemby will get over it as he has work to do to make himself a better player. So understand we going to get a top 5 draft pick this year and maybe again the following year. This is at a minimum a 3 year build at best and it depends on us hitting on our draft picks and what we do with trades

tbdog
12-09-2023, 12:16 PM
Just to add, Durant won 20 games in his rookie year.

Jordan Jackson
12-09-2023, 01:01 PM
It really isn’t 20 games for some of these guys though - it’s a 100+ in some cases. It just is what it is with some of these guys. I thought they would win 25 games by virtue of doing nothing and bring back the same roster. Which is fine but the lack of improvement should be alarming.

I think they over estimate the ability of some of these guys. Which raises the question of their ability to evaluate talent. That’s a prideful organization, they do not want to be historically bad - which is where they are headed again.

Thankfully the Pistons futility has everyone distracted from what’s going on with the Spurs.