PDA

View Full Version : Deveney: Executive Says Magic/Spurs Poised To 'Swipe' Quickley?

TD 21
12-08-2023, 06:59 PM
Knicks Rumors: 2 Teams Poised to 'Swipe' Immanuel Quickley - Heavy.com (https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-knicks/magic-spurs-immanuel-quickley-restricted/)

RC_Drunkford
12-08-2023, 07:19 PM
would be nice, but those are clearly just assumptions, not rumors.

CGD
12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Spurs should just trade for him before Feb. Doug/Cedi/CHA FRP for Fournier/Quig

baseline bum
12-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Spurs should just trade for him before Feb. Doug/Cedi/CHA FRP for Fournier/Quig

Can't see what the Knicks get out of that deal considering the Charlotte pick won't convey as a first and will be two seconds and Fournier is an expiring.

LeBowen
12-08-2023, 07:36 PM
We like what we have. :pop:

CGD
12-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Can't see what the Knicks get out of that deal considering the Charlotte pick won't convey as a first and will be two seconds and Fournier is an expiring.

Not sure what reasonably more they can expect after they didn’t extend him, maybe add several seconds. Spurs can alway go pry him this summer if they want him. I think the point is the Knicks don’t really have room for him.

tbdog
12-08-2023, 07:56 PM
I think the package would have to start with branham, Collins and cedi, /doug for Fournier and Quickley. Knicks probably want vets to booster their depth and a young player that still has work to do.

Another idea is they may want Jones has a backup pg instead of branham.

baseline bum
12-08-2023, 08:05 PM
Not sure what reasonably more they can expect after they didn’t extend him, maybe add several seconds. Spurs can alway go pry him this summer if they want him. I think the point is the Knicks don’t really have room for him.

You think Quickley is long term starting material? If not I think I'd rather spend $45 million a year on OG Anunoby to have a defensive ace than $25 million a year on a warm body to play point as opposed to just drafting one.

TD 21
12-08-2023, 08:10 PM
I've been over this ad nauseam and don't have the time to dig it up, but this will almost certainly have to wait until the off season and be a sign and trade: Quickly for Jones and the Hornets 1st, makes the most sense.

The Spurs will probably hold greater appeal to him than the Magic, given their greater need + projected future MVP caliber player.

Leetonidas
12-08-2023, 08:28 PM
I've been saying it. Quickley is an underrated combo guard that would shine with more minutes that can shoulder PG duties. He's the next Tyrese Maxey imo. Spurs should go after him

baseline bum
12-08-2023, 08:35 PM
I've been over this ad nauseam and don't have the time to dig it up, but this will almost certainly have to wait until the off season and be a sign and trade: Quickly for Jones and the Hornets 1st, makes the most sense.

The Spurs will probably hold greater appeal to him than the Magic, given their greater need + projected future MVP caliber player.

No need to trade Jones or do any sign and trade since they'll have the capspace to sign Quickley outright if his market is 4 years, $100 million.

EDIT: Crap, forget he'd be a RFA, never mind

timtonymanu
12-08-2023, 08:36 PM
He has to have a class level of 100%. That seems to matter more than talent on the spurs these days.

cd98
12-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Can he throw lob passes?

BacktoBasics
12-08-2023, 09:10 PM

In comparison to what they get with Quickley I agree with you but Doug and Cedi on the Knicks would both be really good fits.

They don’t seem to use Quickley as much as you would think and Cedi gives you some of the same energy.

CGD
12-08-2023, 10:16 PM
You think Quickley is long term starting material? If not I think I'd rather spend $45 million a year on OG Anunoby to have a defensive ace than $25 million a year on a warm body to play point as opposed to just drafting one.

It’s a fair question, and I don’t know. I just think the path to a starting PG seems murky for the next two years:

- im not sure there is a starting caliber PG building block in this draft, and even if Collier or Topic were that, they’d need time to develop.

- im all for pushing the trade chips for an established PG player, but whose really available that you’d want to attach 3 FRPs?

- I don’t think Quickley is the guy, but players like him, Coby White, Sexton, etc. might be able to hold the team over until a Topic of whoever is ready. I don’t think the Spurs fully trust Tre to do that alone.

So why not trade for Quickly now, and let the market set his price this summer. Or better, come to an agreement on a 4 year deal where last year is a team option?

CGD
12-08-2023, 10:31 PM
No need to trade Jones or do any sign and trade since they'll have the capspace to sign Quickley outright if his market is 4 years, $100 million.

They can trade for him now, and then be the ones to manage the RFA process this summer. Knicks have that Fournier contract to grease the gears for the deal.

Doubt anyone will come in with a big offer this summer if he’s already with spurs.

offset formation
12-09-2023, 04:18 AM
Do it. KJ for Quickley. Straight up. Knicks need shooting. We need a PG.

onechance87
12-09-2023, 05:51 AM

fuck it....Something gotta change

bluebellmaniac
12-09-2023, 06:56 AM
We are getting our PG next year. Should be a good one. Maybe even 2 quality PGs. Patience.

onechance87
12-09-2023, 07:15 AM
We are getting our PG next year. Should be a good one. Maybe even 2 quality PGs. Patience.

and how is that

Obstructed_View
12-09-2023, 07:26 AM
Popovich has willfully passed on point guards, both in the draft and free agency, to the detriment of the team. The fans will collectively destroy and devour anybody who tries to play the position who isn't instantly John Stockton. If there are signs of either of those things changing I'd love to hear about it.

TD 21
12-09-2023, 11:05 AM
I'd still try now by offering Jones, the Knicks choice of McDermott or Osman and the Hornets 1st for Quickley and Fournier, I just don't see a team that's a few breaks away from having a chance to make the Conference Finals for the first time in forever weakening their team for this season.

But, Hart and Grimes have both complained about their lack of touches lately, so it's worth a shot to see if they want to alleviate the logjam now.

It's better to work with the incumbent team so that you don't have to significantly overpay the RFA to attempt to dissuade them from matching.

Also, the Spurs need to extricate themselves of non shooters and don't need two rotational, sub star small guards.

Mugen
12-09-2023, 11:16 AM
Literally zero percent they would trade for Quickley :lol

R. DeMurre
12-09-2023, 11:29 AM
The Knicks are in a tough spot. They value Quickley, and he leads the entire team in On Court +/- and On/Off +/-, but he's only playing 24 minutes a games. His advanced stats are very Ginobili-like. But they have way too many sub 6'6" players and not enough minutes for them all, so their roster is unbalanced. But why would a rebuilding team trade assets for him now, knowing he could leave this summer in free agency? If the Spurs like him, it makes more sense to just make an offer in July. I think he's the guy to go for. The Spurs already have Wemby, Sochan, and Vassell getting acclimated to the NBA-- do they want to add a PG who's going to be a couple of years behind those guys in terms of development, as a starter? With Quickley starting at PG, they could still draft someone like Topic and bring him along as a bench player while the team builds toward playoff showings with Victor.

Quickley's seasonal +/- #s are off the charts four years in a row with a Knicks team that has changed dramatically, and Quickly has always been one of the leaders for impact. Here are his On Court +/- and On/Off +/- #s for his 4 seasons:

'20-'21: +6.8/ +6.6
'21-'22: +7.9/ +13.8
'22-'23: +6.7/ +8.6
'23-'24: +7.7/ +9.0

I think it's pretty clear at this point that he affects winning. And last year when he started games, his impact #s were even better than his very impressive bench #s.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2024.html

bluebellmaniac
12-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Okay, say this with me:

We.
Don't.
Want.
To.
Win.
This.
Year.

Get it? Let the winning start next year. Doesn't mean development doesn't happen. In fact, it's very important that those who are likely to be with the team do develop. Just don't be a knuckle-head and hero-ball us into unneeded wins.

The Truth #6
12-09-2023, 01:01 PM
I was curious about Quickly last Summer. A trade for Keldon is probably reasonable, fairly equal value, but I would try to get some draft capital. But I may be in the minority here but I think Keldon has improved: better passing, shooting is back up, and his handle is way better. At this point I'd hold on to him and get a filler point guard for now that is cheaper. Coby White, could shoot the 3, get into the paint, make basic passes. Someone of that I'll. Or, you know, just play Gray and stop force feeding Malaki so much exclusively.

I think Keldon could be the 5th option on a title team. Vassell, either 4th or 5th. We have our eventual 1st option. (Jeremy is looking like an 8th man until he settles into a long-term role).

So, I'm at, basically, just play Graham and look for talent in the draft, and maybe look for Dillingham in the draft with the Toronto pick. Just spitballing. Someone better may drop, etc.

scott
12-09-2023, 01:24 PM
Based on what we are seeing out of the Spurs this season, I have a hard time believing Pop and co. aren't serious about this zero-PG look long term. Even in moving Wemby to Center, they elected to pair him with 4 wings instead of Tre Jones. One of the Spurs beat writers mentioned that Pop said they have put a lot of thought into this direction. We all assume that we'll get the PG of the future in the offseason via draft or some other vehicle, but be prepared to be disappointed when we don't pick one.

TD 21
12-09-2023, 07:59 PM
Okay, say this with me:

We.
Don't.
Want.
To.
Win.
This.
Year.

Get it? Let the winning start next year. Doesn't mean development doesn't happen. In fact, it's very important that those who are likely to be with the team do develop. Just don't be a knuckle-head and hero-ball us into unneeded wins.

I
Said
This
Will
Almost
Certainly
Have
To
Wait
Until
The
Off
Season.

Either way, they're too far gone and he's not good enough to rescue them from top odds at a top 3-5 pick.

Based on what we are seeing out of the Spurs this season, I have a hard time believing Pop and co. aren't serious about this zero-PG look long term. Even in moving Wemby to Center, they elected to pair him with 4 wings instead of Tre Jones. One of the Spurs beat writers mentioned that Pop said they have put a lot of thought into this direction. We all assume that we'll get the PG of the future in the offseason via draft or some other vehicle, but be prepared to be disappointed when we don't pick one.

Quickley is a 3 and D combo guard/secondary creator and at 6'3'' in shoes, 195 with a 6'8.25'' wingspan, he's not that small either.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2023, 09:15 PM
Okay, say this with me:

We.
Don't.
Want.
To.
Win.
This.
Year.

The Spurs have lost 16 in a row and Pop is getting desperate for a win
..I don't think you have to worry to much about the Spurs winning but they can't lose the way they have all season. They desperately need a point and I think they're much more likely to make a.move now.

I mean wtf do you think quickley takes them out of the lottery or something?

exstatic
12-10-2023, 10:22 AM
The Spurs have lost 16 in a row and Pop is getting desperate for a win
..I don't think you have to worry to much about the Spurs winning but they can't lose the way they have all season. They desperately need a point and I think they're much more likely to make a.move now.

I mean wtf do you think quickley takes them out of the lottery or something?

He certainly takes them out of the top 5. Isn’t the point of tanking to be in the top 5? Being top 5 may also cock block Toronto from tanking to save this year’s pick.

To get really good in the NBA, you must first be really bad,and it might take more than 1 year. Houston did it wrong this year. They have a top 4 protected pick, which they have basically thrown away to pursue vets,and be mid. They should have tanked one more year.

scott
12-10-2023, 01:55 PM
He certainly takes them out of the top 5. Isn’t the point of tanking to be in the top 5? Being top 5 may also cock block Toronto from tanking to save this year’s pick.

To get really good in the NBA, you must first be really bad,and it might take more than 1 year. Houston did it wrong this year. They have a top 4 protected pick, which they have basically thrown away to pursue vets,and be mid. They should have tanked one more year.

Maybe, but I definitely wouldn't be putting my money on that either!

onechance87
12-10-2023, 03:43 PM
Maybe, but I definitely wouldn't be putting my money on that either!

hes a pg whos a decent passer,Who can defend and can shoot....Pretty much what we been missing thats
hurting us

TD 21
12-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Two final things on this . . .

- If the Spurs don't draft a PG, of course they'd be more likely to offer Graham than Jones, but that'll just mean it'd cost them a better pick (Bulls '25 1st?).

- Of course Quickley isn't a lead guard on a championship contender. So what? They're eons from that. What he is, is basically a half decade younger White replacement (a disastrous trade at the moment) in terms of archetype; a malleable, positive impact player, who'd instantly become their third best player and won't cost premium draft equity.

exstatic
12-10-2023, 04:50 PM
Two final things on this . . .

- If the Spurs don't draft a PG, of course they'd be more likely to offer Graham than Jones, but that'll just mean it'd cost them a better pick (Bulls '25 1st?).

- Of course Quickley isn't a lead guard on a championship contender. So what? They're eons from that. What he is, is basically a half decade younger White replacement (a disastrous trade at the moment) in terms of archetype; a malleable, positive impact player, who'd instantly become their third best player and won't cost premium draft equity.

Derrick White was never a long term solution to anything, even if he’d been kept. He’s months from being 30, and will be retired before Wemby hits his 27 YO athletic peak.

TD 21
12-10-2023, 04:56 PM
Derrick White was never a long term solution to anything, even if he’d been kept. He’s months from being 30, and will be retired before Wemby hits his 27 YO athletic peak.

What does that have to do with it being a disastrous trade at the moment?

MannyIsGod
12-10-2023, 10:19 PM
The idea that Quickley takes the Spurs out of bottom 5 in the lottery is incredible. I guess some people here just don't realize how bad this team is.

Seventyniner
12-10-2023, 10:30 PM
The idea that Quickley takes the Spurs out of bottom 5 in the lottery is incredible. I guess some people here just don't realize how bad this team is.

Notwithstanding the Spurs' already putrid record.

If the Spurs wait until the deadline to get Quickley there won't be much of the season left for the standings to shift anyway.

KobesAchilles
12-10-2023, 11:55 PM
I’m not even sure if I want the Spurs to take a pg with our pick this year. I’d rather get a legit wing player. I’m tired of KJ and his lack of defense. A Wemby, Sochan, drafted SF, and Vassell line up would be very interesting going forward. I think we could always trade for a PG or just flat out overpay for one. CP3 is up next year, Conley is too. Spencer is a free agent as well. There are options. I also wouldn’t mind taking a look at Gordon Hayward next year. I really want experience and brains on this team next year. Have the young guys actually learn instead of random posters saying/insisting that our youth are learning (while winning only 3 games).

scott
12-11-2023, 12:28 AM

It's the same as all the "if we had taken _____, we wouldn't be able to get Wemby" - the fact is that not even Wemby himself can prevent this putrid roster get out of a bottom 3 record :lol

Brian Wright has made some good trades, but has assembled an embarrassingly poor collection of talent, and Pop hasn't done much to coach them. Time for a total FO/Coaching overhaul.

TekXX
12-11-2023, 12:36 AM
The seasons already done, i doubt the Spurs are interested in "helping" this team with a trade. They're tanking for the best possible pick.

tbdog
12-11-2023, 09:57 AM
It's the same as all the "if we had taken _____, we wouldn't be able to get Wemby" - the fact is that not even Wemby himself can prevent this putrid roster get out of a bottom 3 record :lol

Brian Wright has made some good trades, but has assembled an embarrassingly poor collection of talent, and Pop hasn't done much to coach them. Time for a total FO/Coaching overhaul.

It wasn' long ago Spurs had Murray and Poeltl for a full season, white for half, thad for a quarter. And somehow won 34 games. Vassell, Johnson and Trey were all significantly worse then. Lonnie Walker was shooting 40% then as well. Zach played like 25 games. McDermott started in 50 games.

Spurs shouldn't be this far off from that team.

R. DeMurre
12-11-2023, 10:32 AM

If Wemby is the #1 option and there's a future wing who's a #2 option, I think Quickley could absolutely be a PG on a contender, especially if there are two other solid starters. IQ's impact stats over 4 seasons prove pretty conclusively that he's always a net positive player, and that's the type of glue guy you need to augment a team with two stars.

z0sa
12-11-2023, 10:37 AM
If Wemby is the #1 option and there's a future wing who's a #2 option, I think Quickley could absolutely be a PG on a contender, especially if there are two other solid starters. IQ's impact stats over 4 seasons prove pretty conclusively that he's always a net positive player, and that's the type of glue guy you need to augment a team with two stars.

Imagine when some of these find out we won a title with Avery Johnson

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-11-2023, 11:25 AM

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

I mean, what can it hurt at this point if it doesn't work out? This team has a legit shot at breaking the all-time worst single season win/loss record.

jjspur
12-11-2023, 01:22 PM
It wasn' long ago Spurs had Murray and Poeltl for a full season, white for half, thad for a quarter. And somehow won 34 games. Vassell, Johnson and Trey were all significantly worse then. Lonnie Walker was shooting 40% then as well. Zach played like 25 games. McDermott started in 50 games.

Spurs shouldn't be this far off from that team.

Your assessment is quite accurate and yet here we are with one of the absolutely worse teams. I don't think its lack of talent, but rather lack of coaching. What I mean is that the players above were young veterans who Pop can coach, but give him rookies or really young players with little to no experience and he is a terrible coach. You have to have a decent mix of vets and young players to be successful. Again, your savvy vets provide the experience that many young players lack no matter how much potential they have. Ask yourself, what top 5 starting lineup doesn't have way more experienced vets (more than 4 years) than really young players or rookies. I'll give you a hint, it isn't the spurs.

exstatic
12-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Your assessment is quite accurate and yet here we are with one of the absolutely worse teams. I don't think its lack of talent, but rather lack of coaching. What I mean is that the players above were young veterans who Pop can coach, but give him rookies or really young players with little to no experience and he is a terrible coach. You have to have a decent mix of vets and young players to be successful. Again, your saavy vets provide the experience that many young players lack no matter how much potiential the have.

We
Are
Tanking

scott
12-11-2023, 05:14 PM
We
Are
Tanking

I feel like you're the guy who told us we weren't tanking because there was no one to tank for?

baseline bum
12-11-2023, 05:19 PM
I feel like you're the guy who told us we weren't tanking because there was no one to tank for?

That was me. I think the team is just awful and being horribly coached. Don't really see them losing on purpose.

baseline bum
12-11-2023, 05:23 PM
You son of a bitch, I'm in.

I mean, what can it hurt at this point if it doesn't work out? This team has a legit shot at breaking the all-time worst single season win/loss record.

I'd kind of like to use Keldon to clear capspace to go after Anunoby this summer given how desperately this team needs both defense and shooting. Would be really hard to get someone to take Zollins & Branham & Champagnie instead to clear that space after adding Quickley unless the Spurs start throwing in picks.

exstatic
12-11-2023, 05:25 PM

There's no generational player, but if you are in the top 4-5, you'll pick up a good sidekick for Wemby, maybe a PG. Yes, they fooled me for 10 games or so.

tbdog
12-11-2023, 05:29 PM
What does that have to do with it being a disastrous trade at the moment?

Didn't they give Spurs a top 1 protected 1st in 2028 swap?

TD 21
12-11-2023, 05:47 PM

I meant lead creator, go-to guy, etc.

Didn't they give Spurs a top 1 protected 1st in 2028 swap?

Having to wait 6+ years, for a team set to be good long term (yes, anything can happen) for an unknown pick to possibly convey, is a relatively paltry return for a top 50ish impact player, on a team friendly contract.

spurraider21
12-11-2023, 06:55 PM
We
Are
Tanking
the only way a sniffer can justify losing he did not expect is to convince himself its been on purpose all along

We’re not tanking, not even stealth.

Pop had more than ample chances to dump the last two games, and didn't. Stop with the tanking crap. It's not happening. Spurs will be as good or bad as they are on the merits of their performance.

exstatic
12-11-2023, 07:37 PM
the only way a sniffer can justify losing he did not expect is to convince himself its been on purpose all along

I already said they fooled me for 10 games. Posting my early takes doesn’t make you look like a genius.

jjspur
12-11-2023, 09:40 PM
It used to be that teams tanked when the season was about three quarters done. There was no reason to try to win when the team was at the point of no return other than to get a better draft pick. Now the team starts tanking 5 - 10 games into the season. The players seem to be putting a real effort, the coaching staff doesn't. You can be bad from poor trades, poor draft picks, bad contracts etc., but it just seems that bad coaching decisions are making this team look worse than it actually is. I thought they couldn't do worse than last year's obvious tank job, I guess I was wrong. Even with the addition of Wemby, it seems this team has taken a step backwards and may not reach even last years paltry win total.

exstatic
12-11-2023, 09:53 PM
It used to be that teams tanked when the season was about three quarters done. There was no reason to try to win when the team was at the point of no return other than to get a better draft pick. Now the team starts tanking 5 - 10 games into the season. The players seem to be putting a real effort, the coaching staff doesn't. You can be bad from poor trades, poor draft picks, bad contracts etc., but it just seems that bad coaching decisions are making this team look worse than it actually is. I thought they couldn't do worse than last year's obvious tank job, I guess I was wrong. Even with the addition of Wemby, it seems this team has taken a step backwards and may not reach even last years paltry win total.

Once teams started tanking out of the gate, you had no chance at a worst 3 record if you didn’t follow suit. That’s where the draft gold lies, in bulk.

offset formation
12-11-2023, 10:37 PM
I already said they fooled me for 10 games. Posting my early takes doesn’t make you look like a genius.

Isn't it possible that you, me, Spursfans everywhere, the players, PATFO all believed differently too and are doing their best to win, but we just suck historic balls?

I'd say that's the most likely scenario if you look at where our defense is. They simply cannot help themselves but to lose because we are outmanned defensively practically every night.

PATFO blew smoke up everyone's ass about starting a new core. But they forgot you have to have athletic and smart BBIQ guys to do that. And simply put, we don't.

There's absolutely nothing being shown from this core group of players that shows defensive smarts, ability, or athleticism in order to make that happen.

We're fucked for at least two or three more years and that's with a damn near 90% roster turnover.

I've said before and I'll repeat, the only players that have shown consistent effort, IQ, and ability on defense are the only ones that should be kept. So bye Keldon for starters.

Everyone should be considered trade bait aside from Wemby and a couple others. Time to really tank.

scott
12-12-2023, 12:43 AM
Isn't it possible that you, me, Spursfans everywhere, the players, PATFO all believed differently too and are doing their best to win, but we just suck historic balls?

I'd say that's the most likely scenario if you look at where our defense is. They simply cannot help themselves but to lose because we are outmanned defensively practically every night.

PATFO blew smoke up everyone's ass about starting a new core. But they forgot you have to have athletic and smart BBIQ guys to do that. And simply put, we don't.

There's absolutely nothing being shown from this core group of players that shows defensive smarts, ability, or athleticism in order to make that happen.

We're fucked for at least two or three more years and that's with a damn near 90% roster turnover.

I've said before and I'll repeat, the only players that have shown consistent effort, IQ, and ability on defense are the only ones that should be kept. So bye Keldon for starters.

Everyone should be considered trade bait aside from Wemby and a couple others. Time to really tank.

There was a time when the common train of thought was there was no way the Spurs could use all these upcoming picks, because it would pretty much mean a complete turnover of the roster. But, knowing what we know now... maybe that's the plan.

MannyIsGod
12-12-2023, 12:50 AM
Tanking kind of implies we could actually win but are just choosing not to. This team is not choosing to lose. They just simply can't win and you won't convince me that this was the plan at the start of the season. I think some of you are just reaching for that because its a tough pill to swallow that either our team is so incredibly void of talent that with the greatest prospect since Lebron we're still playing a historically awful level and/or our hall of fame GOAT coach is doing such a poor job that we're playing at a historically awful level and its unlikely he gets shown the door.

scott
12-12-2023, 12:54 AM
Tanking kind of implies we could actually win but are just choosing not to. This team is not choosing to lose. They just simply can't win and you won't convince me that this was the plan at the start of the season. I think some of you are just reaching for that because its a tough pill to swallow that either our team is so incredibly void of talent that with the greatest prospect since Lebron we're still playing a historically awful level and/or our hall of fame GOAT coach is doing such a poor job that we're playing at a historically awful level and its unlikely he gets shown the door.

How incredibly optimistic of you to dismiss the possibility that it may be both :lol

MannyIsGod
12-12-2023, 01:00 AM
How incredibly optimistic of you to dismiss the possibility that it may be both :lol

I did say and/or later. That would be fucking depressing though.

jjspur
12-12-2023, 11:49 AM
When I lived in another part of the country, I used to follow the Warriors and the Kings.

The Kings had bad ownership, made bad draft picks, hired half ass coaches, made bad useless trades practically every year and almost moved to Seattle. It seemed no matter what they did, it was the wrong choice. They missed the playoffs for 15 years. I constantly rag on the Kings for their overall ineptitude, however new ownership, coaching and players changed all that to the point they made the playoffs and things are finally looking up for them. Not once did I see them tank so early in the season and they didn't have a generational talent on the team.

So when I see the spurs doing so badly, it tells me something is wrong and really needs to change, It may be the coaching, or the tanking plans , but if either doesn't work out, the spurs may be the ones moving to Seattle in spite of the NBA expansion plans.

By the way, the Warriors won a few championships during those 15 years, doing the opposite of what the Kings did. I'm very much a spurs fan, and I know most people around here don't like the warriors, but you just can't argue with history.

spurraider21
12-12-2023, 11:50 AM
They are underperforming relative to last year which is the distressing part. Imo pop has just mailed it in and we are seeing the results

exstatic
12-12-2023, 12:06 PM
They are underperforming relative to last year which is the distressing part. Imo pop has just mailed it in and we are seeing the results

The roster is nearly identical, with KBD out and Wemby in. We were tanking last year, but this year, we're just bad?

Bruno
12-12-2023, 12:13 PM
I think Quickley can become a good starting PG and it obviously won't happen in NY with Brunson.

It would be more logical for Spurs to go after him this summer because they might fix their PG slot with a trade or a pick during the draft. The only problem with waiting is that he could be traded to another team at the trade deadline and become unavailable this summer.

Mugen
12-12-2023, 12:14 PM
The roster is nearly identical, with KBD out and Wemby in. We were tanking last year, but this year, we're just bad?

You don't think replacing fucking KBD with the best prospect since LeBron + another year of development for Vassell/Sochan/Keldon/Branham/Tre = any semblance of improvement? :lol

spurraider21
12-12-2023, 12:27 PM
id been saying all offseason that we brought back the tank team + wemby

but you would expect that swapping KBD with Wemby would help

you would expect more internal improvement from the young guys getting minutes

but we've actually gotten worse

edit: Mugen beat me to it :lol

exstatic
12-12-2023, 12:39 PM
You don't think replacing fucking KBD with the best prospect since LeBron + another year of development for Vassell/Sochan/Keldon/Branham/Tre = any semblance of improvement? :lol

LeBron didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd season. Losing is common with young phenoms. Durant's rookie team won 20 games. His second year team, with Russ, won 23 games.

spurraider21
12-12-2023, 12:53 PM
LeBron didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd season. Losing is common with young phenoms. Durant's rookie team won 20 games. His second year team, with Russ, won 23 games.
the cavs went from 17 to 35 wins when they added lebron

the sonics got worse, but they didnt just bring back the previous team and add durant to it. they also dealt away their 2 best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis

nobody here is saying these spurs should be a winning team. we're saying they should be better than last year

exstatic
12-12-2023, 02:05 PM
the cavs went from 17 to 35 wins when they added lebron

the sonics got worse, but they didnt just bring back the previous team and add durant to it. they also dealt away their 2 best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis

nobody here is saying these spurs should be a winning team. we're saying they should be better than last year
Why? So we can pick 12th? That’s for next year.

spurraider21
12-12-2023, 02:06 PM
Why? So we can pick 12th? That’s for next year.
they should be better than last year because young players are supposed to develop/improve and wembanyama is probably a better player than KBD

are we just going to have a bunch of 20 year wins then suddenly flip the switch and immediately start pushing 60 wins and competing for titles? learning how to win games is valuable experience. fighting for playoff/play-in conditioning in games that matter in march/april is valuable experience. losing in a 7 game series is valuable experience.

are the players all supposed to go from... this level of play to playing high end team defense, smart passing offense, etc, all at once?

Mugen
12-12-2023, 04:22 PM

ex, if it helps, I'm with you on the Sonics comparison because they ended up firing their old, garbage head coach in PJ Carlesimo and I hope the Wemby Spurs do the same :lol

K...
12-12-2023, 04:52 PM
they should be better than last year because young players are supposed to develop/improve and wembanyama is probably a better player than KBD

are we just going to have a bunch of 20 year wins then suddenly flip the switch and immediately start pushing 60 wins and competing for titles? learning how to win games is valuable experience. fighting for playoff/play-in conditioning in games that matter in march/april is valuable experience. losing in a 7 game series is valuable experience.

are the players all supposed to go from... this level of play to playing high end team defense, smart passing offense, etc, all at once?

no but we can control which 20 somethings get the release , and when wemby is the team, it should be timed to his early peak, which might be next year or the next.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-12-2023, 05:35 PM
One thing I learned the hard way is to not swipe quickly when using certain dating apps.