PDA

View Full Version : 2024 Off Season Free Agents...Pop can convince who to join SA?

spursparker9
12-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Any good PG from the list below? Or will Spurs only be able to depend on the Draft for a good PG? Who is willing to join the tanking for 2024-2025 season? :lol :lol :lol Let's get Flagg or Boozer in the 2025 Draft :lol

Notable Free Agents:

Player Option:
LeBron James
Paul George
Kawhi Leonard
Jrue Holiday

Unrestricted FA:
Klay Thompson
Tobias Harris
James Harden
Pascal Siakam
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
DeMar DeRozan
Buddy Hield
Mike Conley
Nicolas Batum
Patrick Beverley

Ex-Spurs:
Doug McDermott
Kyle Anderson
Cedi Osman
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Chimezie Metu
Lonnie Walker IV
Luka Samanic

mo7888
12-12-2023, 04:14 PM
Any good PG from the list below? Or will Spurs only be able to depend on the Draft for a good PG? Who is willing to join the tanking for 2024-2025 season? :lol :lol :lol Let's get Flagg or Boozer in the 2025 Draft :lol

Notable Free Agents:

Player Option:
LeBron James
Paul George
Kawhi Leonard
Jrue Holiday

Unrestricted FA:
Klay Thompson
Tobias Harris
James Harden
Pascal Siakam
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
DeMar DeRozan
Buddy Hield
Mike Conley
Nicolas Batum
Patrick Beverley

Ex-Spurs:
Doug McDermott
Kyle Anderson
Cedi Osman
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Chimezie Metu
Lonnie Walker IV
Luka Samanic

That's a fairly depressing list... I doubt we bring any of those in..

CGD
12-12-2023, 04:48 PM
FA is overrated these days. The name of the game is trades. Like for a PG what would it cost to pry Cade from DET, Garland from CLE, Ivey from DET, Giddy from OKC, etc

stephen jackson
12-12-2023, 05:29 PM
I guess only pascal throw all the money at him if we haven’t spent it all on zack and some other bum

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2023, 05:35 PM
Quickley
Anounoby
Claxton

that's about it and I'd be happy if we get one of them

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-12-2023, 05:37 PM
Patty 50 Mills!

Pull the f’ing trigger Pop!

SpurSpike
01-04-2024, 04:45 PM
Honestly bringing Patty back wouldn't be a bad decision. He left to try to get a ring and unfortunately that hasn't worked out for him. We need vet leadership and who better to do that than Patty?

spurraider21
01-04-2024, 04:54 PM
Quickley
Anounoby
Claxton

that's about it and I'd be happy if we get one of them
at this point i'd take speedy claxton

TrainOfThought5
01-04-2024, 05:18 PM
Drafting Bronny James to get Lebron is the quickest way to get the best possible vet leader. He’d be an incredible mentor to Wemby with recent championship experience. ST would hate the circus, but with Wemby it would be Cirque De Soliel(sp)

Joseph Kony
01-04-2024, 05:22 PM
he kinda sucks overall but tbh wouldnt mind Beverly. Spurs are a bunch of pansies and could use someone like him on the bench

baseline bum
01-04-2024, 05:30 PM
he kinda sucks overall but tbh wouldnt mind Beverly. Spurs are a bunch of pansies and could use someone like him on the bench

It's funny because Sochan has that same kind of dirty reputation according to other NBA players supposedly. But minus the defensive talent of Beverly.

Mal
01-04-2024, 05:51 PM
FA is overrated these days. The name of the game is trades. Like for a PG what would it cost to pry Cade from DET, Garland from CLE, Ivey from DET, Giddy from OKC, etc

Giddey is immpossible to get - OKC is not trading him, Pop is not gonna try to trade for "scandalous" dude.

I wouldnt mind DeRozan back, but he is not the solution, or missing link. Just solid vet, who can still play

TD 21
01-04-2024, 06:07 PM
Giddey is immpossible to get - OKC is not trading him, Pop is not gonna try to trade for "scandalous" dude.

I wouldnt mind DeRozan back, but he is not the solution, or missing link. Just solid vet, who can still play

Giddey is clearly already being phased out because he can't fill a 3 and D role with their big 3 nor keep the offense afloat in non Gilgeous-Alexander moments.

If/when they make a significant trade, it's all but certain he'll be packaged with some of their draft equity for it.

heyheymymy
01-04-2024, 06:07 PM
Probably not going to be name brand

I could see them getting say a Taurean Prince type wing guy if Doug/Cedi are gone and a Melton or Wright type ballhandler depth

baseline bum
01-04-2024, 06:20 PM

Giddey isn't fitting in with their offense and is the odd man out there already. I'd love to get him and his trade stock is in the toilet right now but I can't picture OKC doing a trade knowing they'll be rivals if the Spurs can get their shit together and put a team around Victor, and Giddey would be a great start towards that.

Also seems like he broke off the relationship with the underage girl and reported it to the team when he found she wasn't 18. Doesn't seem like anything's going to come of it other than a payday for the girl.

spurraider21
01-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Giddey is a nice player but he doesn't fit what OKC needs from that spot anymore. with Jalen Williams becoming the secondary ball-hander on the starting unit, and Cason Wallace coming along, spacing, transition O, and defense matters more than the playmaking Giddey provides

BacktoBasics
01-04-2024, 06:36 PM
I haven’t followed a ton but what I have seen from Giddey has me feeling like he’s already nearing his peak. I just don’t see it.

scott
01-04-2024, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't mind Hayward as a major upgrade to the Cedi/Doug role. If we don't get a starting SF some other way, he could also nicely fill that role and allow Keldon to continue to be the 6th man.

spurraider21
01-04-2024, 06:44 PM
i've liked heyward for a long time, but would really be an uninspired signing. he'd definitely be an upgrade to osman, and obviously, champagnie, but i imagine he'd probably want to find some smaller role on a contender at this point, unless we overpaid to land him the same way we did mcdermott. he also hasnt cleared 53 games in a season for 5 years now

i like the player. but like batum, just feels like the ship has sailed. he turns 34 soon.

spurraider21
01-04-2024, 06:45 PM
the FA market in 2024 looks pretty grim. malik monk is a guy i like but he wouldnt be that cheap.

monte morris is another name i like but he's a backup PG type like devonte graham

Tyus jones is also ok, but again, not exactly reaching for the stars there. he at least has a functional jump shot

scott
01-04-2024, 06:51 PM
i've liked heyward for a long time, but would really be an uninspired signing. he'd definitely be an upgrade to osman, and obviously, champagnie, but i imagine he'd probably want to find some smaller role on a contender at this point, unless we overpaid to land him the same way we did mcdermott. he also hasnt cleared 53 games in a season for 5 years now

i like the player. but like batum, just feels like the ship has sailed. he turns 34 soon.

Yeah I think Hayward maybe wanting to make a run would be an issue. To me, something like a 2/20 deal for Hayward would fit nicely for us.... but after 7 straight years of making $30MM, he might tell us to go F ourselves at that offer :lol

baseline bum
01-04-2024, 06:51 PM
the FA market in 2024 looks pretty grim. malik monk is a guy i like but he wouldnt be that cheap.

monte morris is another name i like but he's a backup PG type like devonte graham

Tyus jones is also ok, but again, not exactly reaching for the stars there. he at least has a functional jump shot

Yeah with Quickley and Anunoby off the market it's pretty awful. Would be good for a contending team with capspace like OKC considering all the quality late career vets (thankfully they can't clear enough capspace to make a run at Kawhi) but for a rebuilding team ouch. Bringing DeRozan back might be the best option but doubt he'd sign a two year deal.

exstatic
01-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Drafting Bronny James to get Lebron is the quickest way to get the best possible vet leader. He’d be an incredible mentor to Wemby with recent championship experience. ST would hate the circus, but with Wemby it would be Cirque De Soliel(sp)

No. Do not need that James shitshow drama. Also don’t need him trying to spirit Wemby to Klutch, and away from SA. Wemby’s agent is one of the strongest cards in the Spurs hand.

pad300
01-04-2024, 08:18 PM
Tyus Jones is someone I would look at. A reliable vet PG (in the game manager mode), who has enough of a 3 pt shot to be respectable. Maybe he can teach Tre to shoot...

heyheymymy
01-04-2024, 10:38 PM
Agreed on Monte Morris as that ballhandler guy

Along the same lines and maybe more so than the Melton/Wright suggestions of mine but it's just at the mercy of the names available

Was kinda hoping Spurs would go after Morris in the offseason since I think he was possibly available in that Wizards shuffle up last summer

cd98
01-04-2024, 11:12 PM
I honestly think a Conley or a Harden could unleash Wemby for a year or two. I get Harden is a mental midget but he’d kill with Wemby in the pick and roll.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2024, 07:30 AM
We couldn’t even get that dumbfvck Cameron Payne to stay here so my hopes aren’t high.

Hopefully someone sees Wembys potential and jumps on for the ride.

Bruno
01-05-2024, 08:29 AM
Patrick Williams might be a good option but he could be complicated since he will be a RFA.

Spurs have also to decide what kind of room they want to give to their 1 or 2 high pick of the 2024 draft.
For example, if they draft a PG with their pick, they have basically 2 options:
- Option A: Give directly the starting spot to the player drafted with a top 6 pick. Jones and Wesley would fight to be his backup.
- Option B: Acquire a decent vet PG and wait for the rookie to be good enough to take him the starting spot.
At the end, it will obviously depend on how high they are on their draft pick(s).

venitian navigator
01-05-2024, 09:12 AM
Considering at the moment and for some years he's playing a back up role, I would ask Houston for the actual Amen Thompson price...

CGD
01-05-2024, 09:35 AM
Patrick Williams might be a good option but he could be complicated since he will be a RFA.

Spurs have also to decide what kind of room they want to give to their 1 or 2 high pick of the 2024 draft.
- Option A: Give directly the starting spot to the player drafted with a top 6 pick. Jones and Wesley would fight to be his backup.
- Option B: Acquire a decent vet PG and wait for the rookie to be good enough to take him the starting spot.
At the end, it will obviously depend on how high they are on their draft pick(s).

I think it will be Option B (or just give it to Jones). Don’t see a clear PG in this draft that could walk in and start, and I do think the Spurs will be under pressure to speed up their rebuild after this year (and with VW coming off a deep Olympic push with fellow nba players).

Increasingly of the view that the Spurs take the best big wing with their natural pick, and defer the PG pick for the Toronto selection. Wemby-Risacher-Sochan would be a very interesting front court.

This decision by Topic to level up in clubs (and now his injury), could have big impacts for him and the draft order (think he could be there at 7-9 now). It’s a sneaky interesting plot line for this draft.

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2024, 10:57 AM

Option C: Give PG starting spot to a forward and say "we have multiple ball handlers" only to go on another 15-game losing streak

John B
01-05-2024, 11:04 AM
I think it will be Option B (or just give it to Jones). Don’t see a clear PG in this draft that could walk in and start, and I do think the Spurs will be under pressure to speed up their rebuild after this year (and with VW coming off a deep Olympic push with fellow nba players).

Increasingly of the view that the Spurs take the best big wing with their natural pick, and defer the PG pick for the Toronto selection. Wemby-Risacher-Sochan would be a very interesting front court.

This decision by Topic to level up in clubs (and now his injury), could have big impacts for him and the draft order (think he could be there at 7-9 now). It’s a sneaky interesting plot line for this draft.

That would be nice for the TOR pick. :hungry:

TD 21
02-11-2024, 12:07 PM
Depending on what happens in the draft and whether they're able to salary dump Collins without taking a rotational C back (good luck with that), I could see them pursuing: Jones, Allen, Martin, Hartenstein, Bitadze.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-11-2024, 12:16 PM
Depending on what happens in the draft and whether they're able to salary dump Collins without taking a rotational C back (good luck with that), I could see them pursuing: Jones, Allen, Martin, Hartenstein, Bitadze.

No chance they give Bitadze a look after he fought with an assistant coach in Indiana and then a player at eurobasket.

TD 21
02-11-2024, 12:34 PM
No chance they give Bitadze a look after he fought with an assistant coach in Indiana and then a player at eurobasket.

Yeah, true.

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2024, 12:40 PM
a back up rim protector would work wonders. I'm pretty sure they won't sign one and keep Collins around for another season. I'd like Royce O'Neal as a starter for Champagnie, but now that he's with Phoenix I'm pretty sure they will resign him. Hayward was another option, but is with OKC now. Maybe Harris, but again Pop said it doesn't make sense to sign vets cause they would take playing time from the young guys, so I don't see him being brought in neither.

I'd say Nic Batum is pretty realistic. Maybe Tyus Jones, although that would be stupid. A Kyle Anderson reunion seems to be on the table as well. And maybe Bol Bol as a practice partner for Wemby.

TD 21
02-11-2024, 03:40 PM
I doubt they'll look to make a "big splash" or target players in their 30's.

Batum is supposedly likely to retire and either way, I doubt he'd play for anything but a championship contender.

Anderson, his already not good enough shooting has cratered again.

Expect youngish veteran role players who can create internal competition so that the likes of Sochan, Champagnie, Branham and Wesley aren't handed the oversized roles they've been gifted.

SouthernFryd
02-11-2024, 04:03 PM
I would only keep Wemby. Get the best you can for everyone else. I'm serious. Replace everyone. What is the worst that can happen? Hard to lose more game than we have. I mean, who is better than an old LeBron? Nobody on the SPurs not named Wemby. Get LeBron. He's got a couple of years left to teach. Nobody better on the Spurs.

If you have to keep someone else, Keep Vassell and Tre. Both as backups or specialty roles. Whoever gave Devin gazillions of dollars need to be jailed for fraud. And Sochan is so over-hyped it's unreal. Is the Invisible Man still starting? Hard to tell...never see him.

Here's a Lineup I'd pay to see...if only for one season.

WEMBY
LEBRON
KLAY
KAWHI
HARDEN

And I hate Harden and Lebron...lol

ace3g
02-11-2024, 05:11 PM
Saddiq Bey (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4397136/saddiq-bey) (restricted)

Patrick Williams (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4431687/patrick-williams) (restricted)

DPG21920
02-11-2024, 10:46 PM
Patrick Williams would be damn exciting IMO

k830713
02-12-2024, 05:22 AM
FA - Miles Bridges / Patrick Williams / Saddiq Bey / Obi Toppin

Draft Spurs: Cody Williams / Zaccharie Risacher
Draft Toronto: Nikola Topic / Robert Dillingham / JaKobe Walter

Draft 2rnd: Center / Two way

Jones, Pick Toronto, Wesley
Vassell, Branham, Osman
Pick Spurs, Johnson, Champagnie
Sochan, FA, Barlow
Wembanyama, Collins, Bassey

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-12-2024, 05:52 AM
There’s no way the Spurs even consider Bridges. Pat Williams is restricted and the way Chicago have operated lately they’d be matching anything that isn’t obscene and they can’t afford to lose him specifically to the Spurs considering the owed draft pick.

Bey is very gettable, Atlanta would have a hard time managing their cap situation and will likely have more important things to worry about - DJ, Trae, etc. He’s not having a great year though.

Toppin might also be gettable, depending on Indiana’s plans. He’s in a good position to cash in though. Spurs would have to pay a lot to get him.

There are other interesting and unrestricted players such as Tobias Harris, Malik Monk - probably pipe dreams, but some more gettable too - Gary Trent, Tyus Jones, Dario Saric , as well as some vets like Conley and Batum.

It should be noted though that the Spurs won’t have a ton of cap space, especially with two high picks’ cap holds, and they might want to retain Osman too. It’s not like they can go and sign 3/4 FAs. Roster spots might be an issue if they don’t waive one or more of Bassey, Champ, Barlow, Cissoko.

exstatic
02-12-2024, 07:26 AM
There’s no way the Spurs even consider Bridges. Pat Williams is restricted and the way Chicago have operated lately they’d be matching anything that isn’t obscene and they can’t afford to lose him specifically to the Spurs considering the owed draft pick.

Bey is very gettable, Atlanta would have a hard time managing their cap situation and will likely have more important things to worry about - DJ, Trae, etc. He’s not having a great year though.

Toppin might also be gettable, depending on Indiana’s plans. He’s in a good position to cash in though. Spurs would have to pay a lot to get him.

There are other interesting and unrestricted players such as Tobias Harris, Malik Monk - probably pipe dreams, but some more gettable too - Gary Trent, Tyus Jones, Dario Saric , as well as some vets like Conley and Batum.

It should be noted though that the Spurs won’t have a ton of cap space, especially with two high picks’ cap holds, and they might want to retain Osman too. It’s not like they can go and sign 3/4 FAs. Roster spots might be an issue if they don’t waive one or more of Bassey, Champ, Barlow, Cissoko.

Barlow is not currently occupying a 15 man roster spot. The expectation is that will change once Morris is bought out.

rankingtear
02-12-2024, 08:21 AM

Giddey is not closing games. Not impossible, plus the pedo thing.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-12-2024, 08:37 AM
Giddey is not closing games. Not impossible, plus the pedo thing.

Actually I think OKC would gladly trade Giddey if they get a good offer for him. He’s stagnated, teams don’t guard him at all, he’s essentially the same level of a shooter that Sochan is, but Sochan seems to be trending up (like Giddey himself was last season, mind). He’s not very impactful and he’s not a great fit for their 5-out style, which is why his minutes are going down. Besides, they don’t have much until they’ll have to pay some guys and one or two would be left without a chair. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s not extended in the summer and is traded within a year.

JPB
02-12-2024, 08:40 AM
FA - Miles Bridges / Patrick Williams / Saddiq Bey / Obi Toppin

Draft Spurs: Cody Williams / Zaccharie Risacher
Draft Toronto: Nikola Topic / Robert Dillingham / JaKobe Walter

Draft 2rnd: Center / Two way

Jones, Pick Toronto, Wesley
Vassell, Branham, Osman
Pick Spurs, Johnson, Champagnie
Sochan, FA, Barlow
Wembanyama, Collins, Bassey

So, we're tanking again next year?

JPB
02-12-2024, 08:49 AM
Guys like Wesley, Branham, Osman, Champagnie, Barlow, Bassey should be (and will be 3rd string to end of bench guys spread out over the NBA, not all in one roster (that happens to be ours) as starters or rotation guys... I have no idea where spurs believe they're going with that roster...

We should always read other fan bases comments for more objectivity an they all say the same... "Damn, that team sucks" or "who is that guy?" still, somehow Pop think it's usefull to spend years (Wemby's years) and he can develop this roster made of wannabees and reclamation projects into a contender...

tbdog
02-12-2024, 08:52 AM
Depending on the draft. But Fultz would be one of my first calls.

KingKev
02-12-2024, 09:11 AM
Fuck free agency. Hopefully two more lottery picks incoming to build around (no culture guys pls) try and dump Vassell and Keldon and keep the tank moving choooo chooo!!!!

Mitch Cumsteen
02-28-2024, 01:19 PM
I know it's bleacher report, but here's a top 25 free agent list food for thought:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10110484-2024-nba-free-agency-big-board-ranking-the-top-25-players-available-this-summer

Malik Monk would solve some problems for this team. He just turned 26 and has gotten better each year. With his improved playmaking, I don't see why he couldn't run point and move Jones to the bench to command the second unit. Or if they draft a point, he could play the 2. According to this article, Sacramento can't offer him a starting salary above $17.4 million.

JeffDuncan
02-28-2024, 02:40 PM
I’d offer Malik Monk $17.5 M instantly.

DAF86
02-28-2024, 03:48 PM
How much of a pipe dream would it be to try and sign Miles Bridges in free agency? Has even a 1% chance of happening?

JeffDuncan
02-28-2024, 03:50 PM
How much of a pipe dream would it be to try and sign Miles Bridges in free agency? Has even a 1% chance of happening?

No. Why would you even imagine that?

DAF86
02-28-2024, 04:00 PM
No. Why would you even imagine that?

No, what? What am I imagining? Be more specific, please.

John B
02-28-2024, 04:18 PM
It depends who Spurs get in the draft. If they got Sarr or Risacher and Topic/PG, I’d start Sarr or Risacher. Topic can come off the bench, then I’d need a starting PG not Miles Bridges.

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 04:28 PM
not sure how sarr/wemby really fit together offensively. maybe spot minutes here and there for now, but otherwise sarr as the direct backup isn't really a bad thing at all

BacktoBasics
02-28-2024, 04:33 PM
I’m also not sure I understand Sarr. His fit on this team or his value as a top 3 pick.

exstatic
02-28-2024, 04:37 PM
He pleaded guilty to felony domestic abuse. Spur generally don’t pursue those types.

exstatic
02-28-2024, 04:38 PM
not sure how sarr/wemby really fit together offensively. maybe spot minutes here and there for now, but otherwise sarr as the direct backup isn't really a bad thing at all

Drafting a backup in the top 3, or even 1st overall? Nope.

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 04:47 PM
Drafting a backup in the top 3, or even 1st overall? Nope.
he may be a backup on day 1 but they could learn to coexist on the floor. and if that happens, its basically good night to opposing offenses

BPA vs fit is always a question. im not saying its the case, but if the decision makers come to the conclusion that Sarr is clearly the best prospect, i wouldnt let fit overrule that

CGD
02-28-2024, 04:47 PM
Ironically, if he wasn’t such a bitch, Marcus Morris would be a good addition to the bench next year.

DAF86
02-28-2024, 04:54 PM
He pleaded guilty to felony domestic abuse. Spur generally don’t pursue those types.

Tbh, I know he's is some trouble but I don't know the extent of it. I was focusing mainly on the on court production. If the off court stuff could be fixed, he would be a huge upgrade at the forward position.

mo7888
02-28-2024, 04:56 PM
he may be a backup on day 1 but they could learn to coexist on the floor. and if that happens, its basically good night to opposing offenses

BPA vs fit is always a question. im not saying its the case, but if the decision makers come to the conclusion that Sarr is clearly the best prospect, i wouldnt let fit overrule that

I think it comes down to if the FO sees them starting alongside one another like Kat and Rudy? If they do then he's a top 3 guy on the Spurs board, if not then he's not even on the Spurs board.

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 05:00 PM
I think it comes down to if the FO sees them starting alongside one another like Kat and Rudy? If they do then he's a top 3 guy on the Spurs board, if not then he's not even on the Spurs board.
yeah its so hard to say because wemby is constantly evolving. lately in the pick and roll game i feel like he's been the ball handler at least as often as he's been the screen setter. can do some really funky stuff with his skill set.

i dont really believe in Sarr's jumper, though he's also still 18

exstatic
02-28-2024, 05:07 PM
Tbh, I know he's is some trouble but I don't know the extent of it. I was focusing mainly on the on court production. If the off court stuff could be fixed, he would be a huge upgrade at the forward position.

On court, he’d be perfect. I’m not sure his issues are fixable.

TD 21
02-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Monk doesn't fit the narrow minded definition of what a Spurs "should" be and they obviously wouldn't touch Bridges with a ten foot pole.

That (somewhat) works because Towns is a GOAT caliber stretch big who seems eager or at least fine playing that role.

Not only is Wembanyama unlikely to become that caliber of shooter, but he clearly aspires and has the potential to be more. Either way, it'd be a waste of his talent to have him relegated to floor spacer for Sarr (his shot is mostly theoretical).

If he's going to be paired with another big, that player need to be the spacer and hopefully stout enough to cross match. It's why Reid would be ideal.

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 06:01 PM
Monk doesn't fit the narrow minded definition of what a Spurs "should" be and they obviously wouldn't touch Bridges with a ten foot pole.
monk is probably my favorite FA target this year, which says something about the FA class

i also wouldnt hate Tobias Harris

if we were just talking about on-court play, Miles Bridges would be at or near the top. i just dont see it happening. my gut feeling is he goes to a contender on a 1 year deal to try to rehab his image/value

RC_Drunkford
02-28-2024, 06:27 PM
It's probably not far fetched that Pop is thinking about bringing back DeRozan to form a contender. In his mind this would work :lol

objective
02-28-2024, 06:39 PM
I loved Patrick Williams in the draft but was wrong big time as he's been a big disappointment

But

Was listening to a bulls related podcast that was likewise down on Williams that made the interesting comparison to Colby White, undesired and disappointing lottery pick rfa who just needed time to blow up.

And he does have flaws: not a rebounder, can't cover smalls, not aggressive looking for to score

But

He's a legit 3 shooter who has a slow release. But on the Spurs, that would be fine, because a Sochan, Tre, Champagnie, nobody covers them and they have forever to shoot. Career 41% from 3. Low volume because he's slow spot up only, but that could be all they need

He can guard bigger wings and 4s, and he'll have college teammate Vassell here to ease his transition.

It would be a big gamble, and to get him might be 15+ annual, even 4/20 to scare off a match, and he could still disappoint. And he's coming off a season ending injury

But the market is thin

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 06:51 PM
sochan also has low volume and a slow release. there are worse 4s

TD 21
02-28-2024, 06:52 PM
They were rumored interested in Williams and Bey leading up to the '20 draft, but they're probably too conservative to get involved with RFA's, who'd require going the sign and trade route unless they drastically overpay (neither is good enough to do so).

The Bulls are inexplicably trying to win now, so even if the Spurs offered them their '25 pick back, they probably wouldn't do it.

Whatever route they take (I expect modest upgrades), I just want to see assertiveness this off season. They've got every ingredient necessary for it, so there's no excuse. If they want something that's attainable, go and get it.

baseline bum
02-28-2024, 06:56 PM

He beat the shit out of his wife, fucked her up pretty good.

objective
02-28-2024, 07:12 PM
sochan also has low volume and a slow release. there are worse 4s

Unlike Sochan, Williams makes his shots

Per 36 3pt attempts in 22/23 and 23/24

Sochan

22/23. 3.3 attempts . 24.6%
23/24. 3.4 attempts. 32.9%

Williams

22/23. 4.3 attempts. 41.5%
23/24. 4.5 attempts 39.9%

spurraider21
02-28-2024, 07:14 PM
Unlike Sochan, Williams makes his shots

Per 36 3pt attempts in 22/23 and 23/24

Sochan

22/23. 3.3 attempts . 24.6%
23/24. 3.4 attempts. 32.9%

Williams

22/23. 4.3 attempts. 41.5%
23/24. 4.5 attempts 39.9%
Yeah i wasn’t disagreeing. Pointing out that we’ve already been playing a 4 with low volume and slow release. Replacing him with a more efficient version of that who can make a defensive impact would be an improvement. Depends on the cost tho

JeffDuncan
02-28-2024, 08:30 PM

Ok, you’re unfamiliar with that. It’s as follows.

On June 29, 2022 Miles Bridges was arrested on a felony domestic violence charge. He was accused of attacking a woman with whom he has three children, causing a broken nose, a concussion, neck injuries from strangulation, multiple bruises, etc. Two of the children were present.

On July 19 he was charged with three felony counts, two of which were child abuse counts because of the children being present. He pled not guilty at arraignment.

On Nov 3 he pled no contest to the domestic violence charge. He was sentenced to 3 yrs probation. The child abuse charges were dropped. This probably resulted from an agreement to keep him out of prison so he’d have a chance to keep earning as a basketball player (with the woman and children to receive a substantial share.)

Then, in Oct of 2023 he allegedly attacked the woman’s car, breaking the windshield while the woman and their children were inside it. This was, of course, a violation of probation and the associated protection order, in addition to being a crime itself. Further, Bridges’ current girlfriend was allegedly present and kicked the car. Bridges turned himself in and was released on bond.

The page I’m looking at stops there.

Domestic violence incidents can be impossible for an outsider to sort out, as to what exactly happened. But one thing is clear. Stay away from that, it needs to be somebody else’s problem.

mo7888
02-29-2024, 09:38 AM
I thought this was as good of a place to post this as any, but Patty was just waived by Atlanta.. he's a FA..

MultiTroll
02-29-2024, 09:48 AM
https://www.earthtouchnews.com/media/295668/wombat-joey-10.jpg

MultiTroll
02-29-2024, 09:55 AM
Found it.
https://i1.wp.com/differentville.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Meeting-wombats-at-Sleepy-Burrows-sanctuary.jpg?w=734

objective
03-01-2024, 04:04 AM
Re: Patrick Williams

Was listening to a bulls podcast

His qualifying offer is 13.

He allegedly already turned down 4/64, which is 16 per year

His injury turning season ending was a surprise, he had been practicing but tests showed the edema became a stress fracture despite the time off in a walking boot etc

So his agent must be expecting more than 16 a year. I suppose they could trade their pick back to him in a sign and trade. They did a S&T with Markannen when he was restricted

Mitch Cumsteen
03-01-2024, 11:43 AM
Monk doesn't fit the narrow minded definition of what a Spurs "should" be.

Why is Monk not a Spur? Because he got popped on a drug test 4 years ago? Seems like he's taken some lumps and matured, and been a model citizen since then. Is the Iggy Azalea thing actually a thing with Monk? I could definitely see them not wanting to bring that soap opera into the locker room.

But on the court? He'd be a tremendous fit and should be attainable on a palatable contract.

TD 21
03-01-2024, 04:05 PM
Why is Monk not a Spur? Because he got popped on a drug test 4 years ago? Seems like he's taken some lumps and matured, and been a model citizen since then. Is the Iggy Azalea thing actually a thing with Monk? I could definitely see them not wanting to bring that soap opera into the locker room.

But on the court? He'd be a tremendous fit and should be attainable on a palatable contract.

You basically answered your own question.

I'm not advocating for their approach, I'm just saying if you've paid attention to it over the years, in most cases it's not difficult to spot the players who they wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

The obvious exceptions (Jackson, Blair, Murray, etc.) came when the value was too good to pass up.

sfernald
03-02-2024, 07:27 PM
Man this free agent class really sucks balls. Ugh right when the spurs really need an infusion of talent.

Hmm anyone know how much cap space spurs will have? Is there any hope of getting off Zollins contract?

james evans
03-02-2024, 08:30 PM
Nobody wants to sign up for a 75 year old coach to make the game about himself and watch Johnson or Vassell brick 3s all season.

T Park
03-04-2024, 05:15 PM
I know it's bleacher report, but here's a top 25 free agent list food for thought:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10110484-2024-nba-free-agency-big-board-ranking-the-top-25-players-available-this-summer

Malik Monk would solve some problems for this team. He just turned 26 and has gotten better each year. With his improved playmaking, I don't see why he couldn't run point and move Jones to the bench to command the second unit. Or if they draft a point, he could play the 2. According to this article, Sacramento can't offer him a starting salary above $17.4 million.

id rather draft a Dillingham.

you don't turn your entire team over to a guy like that.

ace3g
03-11-2024, 11:52 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1767230421656387605

Atl Spur
03-11-2024, 12:26 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1767230421656387605

No good! Damn it!!!!! Terrible time to get injured for him…. His contract will take a real hit:(

baseline bum
03-11-2024, 01:29 PM
No good! Damn it!!!!! Terrible time to get injured for him…. His contract will take a real hit:(

Just means the Spurs can make one of those expensive mistakes with him like they did Zollins.

Bruno
03-11-2024, 02:32 PM
Bey injury obvious sucks for him with his FA this summer but it's a good news for Spurs. The worst Atlanta is next year, the better their pick will be for Spurs.

spurraider21
03-11-2024, 03:09 PM
Bey injury obvious sucks for him with his FA this summer but it's a good news for Spurs. The worst Atlanta is next year, the better their pick will be for Spurs.
no guarantee they were going to re-sign him anyway

scott
03-11-2024, 03:10 PM
Might just mean ATL gets him back on a cheaper deal this summer

baseline bum
03-11-2024, 03:12 PM

Then we should have been cheering for him to be back in Atlanta and 100%

TD 21
03-11-2024, 03:19 PM
I don't know how much worse Bey makes them, but it might increase their interest in Johnson.

The more they value him, the better, since it'll likely lessen the draft capital required in a potential Young or Murray trade.

exstatic
03-11-2024, 03:22 PM
Might just mean ATL gets him back on a cheaper deal this summer

Recovery from surgery for an ACL is a year. He is, for all intents and purposes, out for next season. Sucks for him, but helps our ATL 25 pick.

Bruno
03-11-2024, 04:25 PM
I agree that Bey isn't a good player but Hawks kinda need him because Hunter has recurrent knee issues.

Biggems
03-11-2024, 06:52 PM
I have a question. Bol Bol will be a UFA this summer. Do you feel any team would be interested in him? Also, what kind of contract do you think he would command? He certainly has not really lived up to his draft hype.

exstatic
03-11-2024, 07:01 PM
I have a question. Bol Bol will be a UFA this summer. Do you feel any team would be interested in him? Also, what kind of contract do you think he would command? He certainly has not really lived up to his draft hype.

He’s got unicorn talent, but his attitude is for shit. Orlando got him on the cheap, and cut him loose. He barely plays in PHO.

lennycooke
03-12-2024, 12:23 PM
Monk and D'Angela Russell are the two streakiest players in the NBA now. When they are on, they play at all star level. When they are cold, they will literally lose the game for you.

TD 21
03-13-2024, 06:03 PM
On second thought, I could see the Spurs aggressively pursuing Williams and other proven players in his age range.

He's not only a good potential fit with Sochan, but probably their best chance at getting a starting forward opposite him for next season period.

There was apparently a large gap between the $20+M annually his agent(s) were seeking and what the Bulls were offering.

He's been a perceived disappointment, with a role in constant state of flux throughout because he's more like Marvin Williams or Harrison Barnes than a potential star in the making.

Given the Bulls obsession with being a treadmill team, they might actually prefer Johnson to a pick.

spurraider21
03-13-2024, 06:20 PM
i still think Monk should be at or near the top of the spurs FA board. we continue to see the spurs get into offensive ruts that are unbecoming of a team in the modern nba. he can provide good scoring juice, is a good enough shooter, and can get others involved too

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Monk would be a realistic target and very gettable. He won't be cheap though. Sacramento only have his early bird rights because he has a two year deal and since they're over the cap and unlikely to get under it, the max they can offer him is 175% raise for the first year, which is about $17.5 mil, or roughly about 4/78 mil total.

Depending on what they do with their draft pick(s) and the contracts of Graham, Champ and Bassey, the Spurs could open up somewhere between 20 and 30 million in cap space, so they could make a very good offer to him. The bigger issue would be fit, because he mostly occupies the space that Devin does on the Spurs, he's not really a lead guard despite of his improved creation. Devin at the 3 and Monk at 2 could be an option but would probably be a disaster defensively. I doubt he'd be happy with a bench role and there will be other teams with cap space and a starting position for him.

tbdog
03-14-2024, 08:28 AM
On second thought, I could see the Spurs aggressively pursuing Williams and other proven players in his age range.

He's not only a good potential fit with Sochan, but probably their best chance at getting a starting forward opposite him for next season period.

There was apparently a large gap between the $20+M annually his agent(s) were seeking and what the Bulls were offering.

He's been a perceived disappointment, with a role in constant state of flux throughout because he's more like Marvin Williams or Harrison Barnes than a potential star in the making.

Given the Bulls obsession with being a treadmill team, they might actually prefer Johnson to a pick.

Sochan and Williams are similar. I find Sochan a better athlete while Williams a better shooter. They both showed the ability to stick and defend their assignments but failed to be defensive playmakers, ie deflections, steals, blocks. Having two of them just seems pointless.

exstatic
03-14-2024, 08:37 AM
Williams shoots better, but his creation and rebounding are at sub Sochan levels, and he’s had foot surgery that put him out for the year.

The Truth #6
03-14-2024, 09:26 AM
No gracias to Patrick Williams. I don't see the fit. And he's underperforming and has injury concerns. And he wants to get paid. But other than that...

Bruno
03-14-2024, 03:12 PM
Caleb Martin might be an interesting option. I guess he would like to stay with Miami and they would like to keep him but it might end up being too costly given their luxury tax situation.

spurraider21
03-14-2024, 03:26 PM
i see Monk as occupying the Branham role more than the Vassell role, in that he's either a 6th man combo guard who can also spot start at either guard position if the need arises

jjspur
03-14-2024, 03:44 PM
Caleb Martin might be an interesting option. I guess he would like to stay with Miami and they would like to keep him but it might end up being too costly given their luxury tax situation.

He's a Bruce Bowen lite who plays decent defense which the spurs could really use. Miami likes hi a lot, but they do have a number of high priced players who also need to get paid. So who knows, but he is an interesting player who could fit in as a spurs reserve or a part time starter. Easily more talented than most of our reserves.

objective
03-14-2024, 03:46 PM
I'm still positive on Patrick Williams. He can guard his position, he is a dependably good 3 point shooter when open, still very young and has experience with Vassell.

Plus maybe the bulls pick could be useful in a flip for him in a sign and trade.

Plus, because of his youth and missed games he might still have some upside though I wouldn't bank in it. But no one thought Colby White could be better than an mle combo gunner and look at him now.

TD 21
03-14-2024, 04:34 PM
Sochan and Williams are similar. I find Sochan a better athlete while Williams a better shooter. They both showed the ability to stick and defend their assignments but failed to be defensive playmakers, ie deflections, steals, blocks. Having two of them just seems pointless.

Williams is a 3 and D forward with enough strength to credibly defend most of the players Sochan struggles with.

It's true that neither is a defensive playmaker, but you can't have everything.

Also, Sochan isn't good enough that this should be the primary concern. If he ultimately has to become a backup or traded, so be it.

tbdog
03-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Williams is a 3 and D forward with enough strength to credibly defend most of the players Sochan struggles with.

It's true that neither is a defensive playmaker, but you can't have everything.

Also, Sochan isn't good enough that this should be the primary concern. If he ultimately has to become a backup or traded, so be it.

I think Sochan is a better player already but Williams has a more consistent fit being a 3&D PF. Sochan is a better athlete. Will get above the rim to finish and pull down some boards. Sochan is a more consistent passer. Williams is a better shooter, clearly, and has better strength to defend bigger wings. He is only shooting 4.5 threes per 36. Jabari Smith is putting up 5.6, and Trey Lyles 6.7, Scohan 3.5, Keldon 6.5. So although is really accurate, he isn't exactly letting if fly from deep.

Would I replace Williams with Johnson? Yeah, I would. I think that 3&D prototype is handy and I think Keldon's ceiling has been reached. Would I replace Sochan with Williams? Not this early, no way. Do I think Sochan and Williams would work together? I don't know. With a Trae Young on the team, I could foresee why Williams and Sochan on the wing would work. But if it's a rookie pg or a Jones again, then I don't think so.

objective
03-14-2024, 08:31 PM
I think Williams and Sochan would work though the rebounding would be suspect.

It would also be interesting to see if without Keldon would Sochan be moved to 6th man. Put the ball back in his hands against 2nd units and maybe it wouldn't be the disaster he was at starting point guard

If you are able to keep 1 pick from this year maybe that could be the future small forward

scott
03-14-2024, 08:35 PM
Speaking of Patrick Williams:

mo7888
03-14-2024, 08:40 PM
I think Williams and Sochan would work though the rebounding would be suspect.

It would also be interesting to see if without Keldon would Sochan be moved to 6th man. Put the ball back in his hands against 2nd units and maybe it wouldn't be the disaster he was at starting point guard

If you are able to keep 1 pick from this year maybe that could be the future small forward

If we get Williams, I kind of think he and Sochan both start and JC is sent to the bench. Sochan can defend 3's and 4's so he skides up and Williams takes the 4

objective
03-14-2024, 08:43 PM
If we get Williams, I kind of think he and Sochan both start and JC is sent to the bench. Sochan can defend 3's and 4's so he skides up and Williams takes the 4

Took me a minute to figure out who JC was. I suppose that to me he's not an NBA rotation caliber player and I don't want to see him play any minutes in the future other than in blowouts

spursparker9
03-15-2024, 07:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfVMA1UNz0

mo7888
03-15-2024, 08:36 AM
Took me a minute to figure out who JC was. I suppose that to me he's not an NBA rotation caliber player and I don't want to see him play any minutes in the future other than in blowouts

I think he's ok starting out on the 2nd unit next year, but hopefully we draft a guy who can take his spot sooner rather than later next year. He's probably 2nd unit on a bottom third team and deep bench on a playoff team I'd think.

DAF86
03-25-2024, 01:27 PM
Grayson Allen should be a main target. An elite 3pt shooter that is being asked to defend the other's team best player and holding his own. He would be a clear upgrade over Champaigne in the starting lineup.

jjspur
03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Anyone who can play some defense. Caleb Martin and Grayson Allen come to mind. They're both around 28 not quite on the young side any more, but could easily be a defensive leader on this team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Pop’s last successful significant free agent recruitment was convincing Tim to not bolt for Orlando.

MultiTroll
03-26-2024, 12:18 PM
Pop get Bryn n Patty, get the band back together?

NBA star Bryn Forbes 'is back living with his mom and has no offers' following assault arrest | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nba/article-11864159/NBA-star-Bryn-Forbes-living-mom-no-offers-following-assault-arrest.html)

LeBowen
03-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Pop get Bryn n Patty, get the band back together?

NBA star Bryn Forbes 'is back living with his mom and has no offers' following assault arrest | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nba/article-11864159/NBA-star-Bryn-Forbes-living-mom-no-offers-following-assault-arrest.html)

How did that imbecile manage to waste $17 million career earnings already, ffs.
Yes, Bryn Forbes made $17 million playing basketball, believe it or not.

R. DeMurre
03-26-2024, 12:35 PM
Pop’s last successful significant free agent recruitment was convincing Tim to not bolt for Orlando.

You don't count LaMarcus Aldridge? That team did win 67 games.

exstatic
03-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Grayson Allen should be a main target. An elite 3pt shooter that is being asked to defend the other's team best player and holding his own. He would be a clear upgrade over Champaigne in the starting lineup.

I hate him, but I wouldn’t argue with this take.

BacktoBasics
03-26-2024, 03:51 PM
How did that imbecile manage to waste $17 million career earnings already, ffs.
Yes, Bryn Forbes made $17 million playing basketball, believe it or not.

Out of 17 million he probably only pocketed about 6-7. Maybe less.

LeBowen
03-26-2024, 04:08 PM

Well, we all pay taxes...do we? :reading
Even if he pocketed just 5, it's plenty not to go broke within a year of being out of the league.
Unless you're a moron, that is.

scott
03-26-2024, 04:30 PM
I presume dating a porn star comes with a certainly level of maintenance expenses.

baseline bum
03-26-2024, 04:36 PM
You don't count LaMarcus Aldridge? That team did win 67 games.

Brent Barry and Finley too. I know we grew to hate Finley after a couple of years but not his fault Pop played him at PF in the wrong era.

scott
03-26-2024, 04:42 PM
I still heart Michael Finley!

baseline bum
03-26-2024, 04:43 PM

Was going to say it would be like $9.5 million or so assuming a 37% income tax and taking 10% off the top for the league's escrow fund in the worst case, but forgot the state income taxes that Trump no longer allowed to be deducted from federal income tax, which makes it a pretty complicated computation to see what his actual take home was since they apply for road games. Still lol going broke with $6 million to spend, especially when he made most of that before housing prices shot to hell.

Mal
03-26-2024, 05:47 PM

Taxes ate almost 66% ?

MultiTroll
03-26-2024, 06:01 PM
not his fault Pop played him at PF in the wrong era.
2006 was one of Pops most disappointing robberies of Tim Duncan.
Most stacked lineup in league and he still flubbs it up badly.

quentin_compson
03-26-2024, 06:43 PM

Him being asked to be the POA defender was a big problem for the Suns (one of the reasons why they traded for Royce O'Neale). He also used to be targeted regularly in the POs when he was playing for the Bucks. Finally, being an upgrade over Champagnie really doesn't say much right now ... ;)

That being said, I agree that he could/might/should be a guy the Spurs will target this offseason. A reliable high-volume shooter with at least decent hight/body defensively, and he really does give it his all on that end as well.

BacktoBasics
03-26-2024, 07:26 PM
Taxes ate almost 66% ?

Taxes, retirement, agent, travel isn’t cheap. There are also additional costs to being a prime athlete like dietitian or trainers that perhaps the average wealthy person might not incur.

Just saying that it’s typically a lot less than people think.

It’s of course still a lot of money but players don’t always invest well. If you’re a pro player there are obligations to friends and family that are sometimes unavoidable.

Not an excuse. Just an observation.

DAF86
03-27-2024, 10:18 PM
So what's the deal with Miles Bridges? If he's a women beater, why is he still playing?

If we can get him and Grayson Allen in the offseason + a couple of rookies that contribute right away, we should be competitive, tbh.

manufan10
03-28-2024, 11:28 AM

exstatic
03-28-2024, 11:33 AM
So what's the deal with Miles Bridges? If he's a women beater, why is he still playing?

If we can get him and Grayson Allen in the offseason + a couple of rookies that contribute right away, we should be competitive, tbh.

Allen, they might get, but Bridges is likely a no go.

DAF86
03-28-2024, 11:38 AM

I doubt PG13 would be willing to join a non contender.

spurraider21
03-28-2024, 11:39 AM
I doubt PG13 would be willing to join a non contender.
we never should have traded him in the first place

time to undo that wrong

DAF86
03-28-2024, 12:36 PM

time to undo that wrong

We got a championship out of that trade, and then the butterfly effect made us get Wemby. I'm not changing a damn thing.

scott
03-28-2024, 01:35 PM

time to undo that wrong

Did I completely sleep through some major Spurs history? What is this about?

manufan10
03-28-2024, 01:43 PM
Did I completely sleep through some major Spurs history? What is this about?

It's a reference to a thread here in 2013:

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214888

JPB
03-28-2024, 01:44 PM
Maybe we can get Primo back in a George trade. He was on the verge of greatness.

scott
03-28-2024, 01:45 PM
It's a reference to a thread here in 2013:

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214888

Thanks for this! This was definitely during a major ST.com hiatus for me, so I appreciate you bringing me up to speed. Classic.

DPG21920
03-28-2024, 01:47 PM
How would we feel with a Grayson Allen signing? We buying his shooting? I mean, it’s been another level this year with his shooting.

I dont know his role on this team, but if you get Reed or Dillingham and can bring in someone like Grayson, seems like the bench problems would be solved pretty quickly.

spurraider21
03-28-2024, 01:56 PM
How would we feel with a Grayson Allen signing? We buying his shooting? I mean, it’s been another level this year with his shooting.

I dont know his role on this team, but if you get Reed or Dillingham and can bring in someone like Grayson, seems like the bench problems would be solved pretty quickly.
he's 41.4% for his career, so yes his shot is real. obviously he's not going to shoot 48% every year. since his rookie year, he has never shot lower than 39%. but 40% shooting + enough ball skill to beat closeouts, pass, while being a willing and capable defender... of course he'd be really good. he also wont be cheap

DPG21920
03-28-2024, 02:00 PM
he's 41.4% for his career, so yes his shot is real. obviously he's not going to shoot 48% every year. since his rookie year, he has never shot lower than 39%. but 40% shooting + enough ball skill to beat closeouts, pass, while being a willing and capable defender... of course he'd be really good. he also wont be cheap

I don’t think we need to worry about price to much at this point. Ya, I know hes been a good shooter, I meant him being Steph Curry now lol

I think he could be an interesting signing 3/40M? Having him in place of Branham + having Tre on the bench?

Or having him in place of Branham with Reed as the back up guard with Tre starting?

jjspur
03-28-2024, 02:09 PM
Allen makes about 9 million now. A raise to about 12.5 - 13.5 million $$$ would be about right, after all isn't that what they paid Doogie McNuggets ? Plus Allen is a much better defender than McNuggets, and we had that dude for 3 years with his mostly useless defense. It would be a step in the right direction.

TD 21
03-28-2024, 02:42 PM
Allen is eligible for a 4/$75M extension on April 1st and made a comment recently about "it's not done until it's signed", which sounds like he's verbally agreed.

spurraider21
03-28-2024, 02:43 PM
I don’t think we need to worry about price to much at this point. Ya, I know hes been a good shooter, I meant him being Steph Curry now lol

I think he could be an interesting signing 3/40M? Having him in place of Branham + having Tre on the bench?

Or having him in place of Branham with Reed as the back up guard with Tre starting?
branham should not by default be part of the equation. he's basically had 2 full seasons of unearned rotation time, i think his scholarship is over. look, if he spends the offseason in the lab and comes back better and having made a 3rd year leap to the point where he brings some juice to the table, sure, make him a part of your calculus. but im not going into anything with "but where does branham fit" in mind.

i think you gotta figure out if you can start allen at the 2 and vassell at the 3 and get away with that, or you just have allen as a reserve 2/3 depending on lineups. my issue is allen feels more like a finishing piece as he's been for pheonix than a foundational piece. id rather get cheaper players to be role player vets

DPG21920
03-28-2024, 02:54 PM
branham should not by default be part of the equation. he's basically had 2 full seasons of unearned rotation time, i think his scholarship is over. look, if he spends the offseason in the lab and comes back better and having made a 3rd year leap to the point where he brings some juice to the table, sure, make him a part of your calculus. but im not going into anything with "but where does branham fit" in mind.

i think you gotta figure out if you can start allen at the 2 and vassell at the 3 and get away with that, or you just have allen as a reserve 2/3 depending on lineups. my issue is allen feels more like a finishing piece as he's been for pheonix than a foundational piece. id rather get cheaper players to be role player vets

I can see that - but at some point you have to spend money. Like Collins; highly doubt SA thought he was a foundational piece but I surely would rather have Allen as a bridge player to help move the team forward for a few seasons etc…

Agree on Branham though and virtually all of our team. No one is safe and you take best players and free agents and spurs need to upgrade basically 9 players over the next 2-3 years. My context for brining up Branham was to replace him in this scenario or make him have an actual real leap to earn any minutes moving forward

Knoxxx
03-28-2024, 03:02 PM

Yeah these posters suggesting we build the team around Branham have been driving me crazy!

spurraider21
03-28-2024, 03:03 PM
I can see that - but at some point you have to spend money. Like Collins; highly doubt SA thought he was a foundational piece but I surely would rather have Allen as a bridge player to help move the team forward for a few seasons etc…

Agree on Branham though and virtually all of our team. No one is safe and you take best players and free agents and spurs need to upgrade basically 9 players over the next 2-3 years. My context for brining up Branham was to replace him in this scenario or make him have an actual real leap to earn any minutes moving forward
ive got no problem spending money on players. im just sayin that if im going to be spending 15mil per year on a player, i'd rather it not be somebody who's aspiration on the team is to be a reserve unless its a playmaking 6th man type. ive been a strong proponent on spending big money and bringing in malik monk. think you could start him w/ vassell and get away with it, or you could have him be the 6th man coming in for either the PG or SG

scott
03-28-2024, 03:37 PM
LOL, you aren't getting Grayson Allen for 3/40.

DPG21920
03-28-2024, 03:38 PM
LOL, you aren't getting Grayson Allen for 3/40.

What do you think it will be? I agree it’s not likely; I was talking from Spurs perspective at what price would make sense. But some contender may opt to give him 4/70M or something.

scott
03-28-2024, 03:49 PM
What do you think it will be? I agree it’s not likely; I was talking from Spurs perspective at what price would make sense. But some contender may opt to give him 4/70M or something.

I think 4/64-4/75 is probably the range. At 4/75 his AAV is $18.75MM which is only 13.3% of the projected cap next year, and 10% of the cap in the last year.

3/40 would basically be an MLE contract... Allen is certainly more than an MLE player as a career 40% 3pt shooter.

For comparison, Doug's deal (at age 30, one year older than Allen will be next season) was 3/42, which was 12.23% of the cap in year 1 and 10.11% of the cap in year 3. So if Allen simply got an equivalent contract to Doug (in terms of the cap), it would come out to 3/52. Doug and Allen's stats in the two years before Doug's deal are pretty similar (though Allen's 3p% this year is insane) but Allen is a much better defender. Allen's agent should be able to easily convince teams he's worth more than Doug's deal (though I'm sure Doug won't even come up in conversation).

MR-Clutch
03-28-2024, 03:55 PM
Get me hartenstein to replace Collins.

DPG21920
03-28-2024, 09:44 PM
I think 4/64-4/75 is probably the range. At 4/75 his AAV is $18.75MM which is only 13.3% of the projected cap next year, and 10% of the cap in the last year.

3/40 would basically be an MLE contract... Allen is certainly more than an MLE player as a career 40% 3pt shooter.

For comparison, Doug's deal (at age 30, one year older than Allen will be next season) was 3/42, which was 12.23% of the cap in year 1 and 10.11% of the cap in year 3. So if Allen simply got an equivalent contract to Doug (in terms of the cap), it would come out to 3/52. Doug and Allen's stats in the two years before Doug's deal are pretty similar (though Allen's 3p% this year is insane) but Allen is a much better defender. Allen's agent should be able to easily convince teams he's worth more than Doug's deal (though I'm sure Doug won't even come up in conversation).

That makes sense. SA should have a hard line on what they pay players like that too. So prob not a realistic fit.

Knoxxx
04-08-2024, 01:12 PM
Report: Magic emerging as top suitors for Klay Thompson | Yardbarker (https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/report_magic_emerging_as_top_suitors_for_klay_thom pson/s1_13132_40210510?utm_source=msn%2Ecom&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rl_msn&utm_content=rl_msn_40210998)

Would Klay be a fit on the Spurs, given our strong need for outside shooting?

Mitch Cumsteen
04-08-2024, 02:40 PM
If Batum doesn't retire this off season, the Spurs should make a run at him. He was so good last night -- changed the game defensively by picking up Jones full court and then nailed clutch three pointers. Maybe the allure of mentoring Victor for a season would appeal to him? He can't play big minutes but he's exactly the kind of veteran that this team needs, and would give them desperately needed outside shooting without breaking the bank.

Degoat
04-08-2024, 02:46 PM
Report: Magic emerging as top suitors for Klay Thompson | Yardbarker (https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/report_magic_emerging_as_top_suitors_for_klay_thom pson/s1_13132_40210510?utm_source=msn%2Ecom&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rl_msn&utm_content=rl_msn_40210998)

I’ve been questioning this for awhile, I really think the spurs need to bring in a winning vet that can still contribute. A klay Thompson, Khris Middleton, Jrue Holiday type. The price tho that’s the problem

poopbox
04-08-2024, 03:14 PM
I’ve been questioning this for awhile, I really think the spurs need to bring in a winning vet that can still contribute. A klay Thompson, Khris Middleton, Jrue Holiday type. The price tho that’s the problem

All 3 of those guys want to ring chase, not play on a rebuilding team

scott
04-15-2024, 01:06 PM

Nailed this one. Allen reups with the Suns for 4/70. Would have been a great option, that's a bummer.

LeBowen
04-16-2024, 05:52 PM
Point guards:
D'Lo
Tyus Jones
Monte Morris

Shooting guards:
Buddy Hield
Gary Trent Jr.
KCP (player option, $15M)
Gary Harris
Malik Monk
De'Anthony Melton
Josh Okogie (player option, $3M)

Forwards:
Nicolas Batum
Royce O'Neale
Patrick Williams (restricted)
Isaac Okoro (restricted)
Saddiq Bey (restricted)
Derrick Jones Jr.
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Tobias Harris
Kyle Anderson
Obi Toppin (restricted)
Dario Saric

Centers:
Nicolas Claxton
Isaiah Hartenstein
Daniel Theis
Mason Plumlee
Andre Drummond
Goga Bitadze

I didn't include older, star players like PG13, Harden, Klay, can't see it happening.
I also didn't include players involved in Toronto trades, I don't think those trades would've been made if extensions weren't agreed.

D'Lo is such an inconsistent and polarizing player, but as of late he seems to be doing well again.
Would be a very good fit for Wemby, but I can't see it happening because he'd ask for a lot of money to spend the rest of his prime on a bad team. He probably leaves some money on the table to stay with the Lakers.

Devin will most likely stay, so SG starters aren't relevant. Monk or Buddy off the bench would be nice. I don't think Branham will ever be an NBA player.

Cleveland will have to make some big decisions in the summer and my pick out of all those forward targets would be Okoro. I think he could become a great 3-D wing that's happy to do his job and doesn't try much else.
Williams would also be a solid option, but he'll most likely ask for way more money.
If Spurs don't bring anyone in for the wing positions (most likely outcome) other than a rookie, I'd like to see Batum in the veteran leader role.
I don't think Spurs would pull a move similar to what Rockets did and pay Harris a lot of money for a couple of years. And he's a player I never liked.

Spurs most likely won't get rid of Collins, which is a shame. If you ask me, he must go.
Bitadze would be a great backup big for cheap. He's got a lot to prove and is way better defensively.

mo7888
04-16-2024, 09:07 PM
Point guards:
D'Lo
Tyus Jones
Monte Morris

Shooting guards:
Buddy Hield
Gary Trent Jr.
Gary Harris
Malik Monk
De'Anthony Melton

Forwards:
Nicolas Batum
Royce O'Neale
Isaac Okoro (restricted)
Saddiq Bey (restricted)
Derrick Jones Jr.
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Tobias Harris
Kyle Anderson
Obi Toppin (restricted)
Dario Saric

Centers:
Nicolas Claxton
Isaiah Hartenstein
Daniel Theis
Mason Plumlee
Andre Drummond
Goga Bitadze

I didn't include older, star players like PG13, Harden, Klay, can't see it happening.
I also didn't include players involved in Toronto trades, I don't think those trades would've been made if extensions weren't agreed.

D'Lo is such an inconsistent and polarizing player, but as of late he seems to be doing well again.
Would be a very good fit for Wemby, but I can't see it happening because he'd ask for a lot of money to spend the rest of his prime on a bad team. He probably leaves some money on the table to stay with the Lakers.

Devin will most likely stay, so SG starters aren't relevant. Monk or Buddy off the bench would be nice. I don't think Branham will ever be an NBA player.

Cleveland will have to make some big decisions in the summer and my pick out of all those forward targets would be Okoro. I think he could become a great 3-D wing that's happy to do his job and doesn't try much else.
Williams would also be a solid option, but he'll most likely ask for way more money.
If Spurs don't bring anyone in for the wing positions (most likely outcome) other than a rookie, I'd like to see Batum in the veteran leader role.
I don't think Spurs would pull a move similar to what Rockets did and pay Harris a lot of money for a couple of years. And he's a player I never liked.

Spurs most likely won't get rid of Collins, which is a shame. If you ask me, he must go.
Bitadze would be a great backup big for cheap. He's got a lot to prove and is way better defensively.

I know he's not popular here, but I like D'Lo on this team if we can find a 3D SF or a starting PF who can stretch the floor and move Sochan to the 3..

Degoat
04-16-2024, 09:11 PM
Has nothing to do with Pop, but have you seen how ALL the superstars are coming out for the Olympics this year for USA BBall? When Pop was the coach we had a bunch of pretend stars, even had to have Keldon on the team.

scott
04-16-2024, 09:22 PM
Has nothing to do with Pop, but have you seen how ALL the superstars are coming out for the Olympics this year for USA BBall? When Pop was the coach we had a bunch of pretend stars, even had to have Keldon on the team.

All the stars had already seen the Penguin movie, didn't want to be forced to watch it again

cutewizard
04-16-2024, 11:01 PM

-----------------------they will lose

bunch of old guys

MultiTroll
04-16-2024, 11:50 PM
NO we do not want or need Klanus Thompson.

Now watch Popped go out and offer him 30 for 3.

ismael-robert
04-16-2024, 11:57 PM
I didn't know cutewizard could be negative

ismael-robert
04-16-2024, 11:58 PM
Klay 0 for 10 in eliminating game

onechance87
04-17-2024, 12:39 AM
wonder if hawks pull there qo offer bey and let him be a free agent

Limguogolo
04-17-2024, 01:35 AM
This is Batum's last year. He stops after the Olympics. No need to include him in the list.

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2024, 05:46 AM
Klay 0 for 10 in eliminating game

most overrated pos pushed down viewers throats...2way player...doesnt defend shit

jjspur
04-17-2024, 02:14 PM
If we're looking at anyone, its players that are asking for 10-12 million or less. I just don't see the spurs making a big splash signing a player or trading for one. A few small to mid sized deals at most. Look for guys that can play defense.

Melton
Bey
Okoro
Saric
Royce O'Neale
Slo Mo

SpurSpike
04-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Would be nice to get Isaac Okoro, young SF that shoots the 3 and plays defense. Has had a few years to develop his 3 point shot which has improved every season.

LeBowen
04-17-2024, 05:07 PM
Would be nice to get Isaac Okoro, young SF that shoots the 3 and plays defense. Has had a few years to develop his 3 point shot which has improved every season.

Agreed.
Too bad he's RFA, I see no reason for Cavs not to match any offer.
I paid attention to him whenever I watched the Cavs and I watch some more videos yesterday after I made that list and he'd be a perfect fit for any style of play.
Easily worth the contract Keldon got. Somewhere between 70 and 80 million over 4 years.

Listed at 6'5, but looks and plays bigger. Can guard every perimeter position with ease. Surely a parennial all-defense wing in the making.
As you said, he keeps improving his shot and if we can get him, he's the best target on that list. Just turned 23, fits the timeline perfectly.

playbonner15
04-17-2024, 06:04 PM

After that last game, plus Klay's salary, I don't think Spurs are gonna be interested

BackHome
04-17-2024, 07:26 PM
Point guards:
D'Lo
Tyus Jones
Monte Morris

Shooting guards:
Buddy Hield
Gary Trent Jr.
Gary Harris
Malik Monk
De'Anthony Melton

Forwards:
Nicolas Batum
Royce O'Neale
Isaac Okoro (restricted)
Saddiq Bey (restricted)
Derrick Jones Jr.
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Tobias Harris
Kyle Anderson
Obi Toppin (restricted)
Dario Saric

Centers:
Nicolas Claxton
Isaiah Hartenstein
Daniel Theis
Mason Plumlee
Andre Drummond
Goga Bitadze

Damn this free agency class is Pure Ass - None of these guys are going to make a significant impact on us winning games if acquired. To be honest I would rather stay with homegrown then tap into this mountain of crap...:(

onechance87
04-17-2024, 08:27 PM
batum looking good...Looking like he would be the 2nd or or 3rd best player on our team even at 36.

td4mvp2k
04-17-2024, 08:46 PM
batum looking good...Looking like he would be the 2nd or or 3rd best player on our team even at 36.
ya he should be at the top of the list he would def be good for wemby. I'd pay him what he wants for two yrs that he probably wouldn't get anywhere else.

objective
04-17-2024, 09:44 PM
Heard that Tobias Harris was benched for crunch time tonight, sounds about right

timtonymanu
04-18-2024, 01:17 AM
Klay being thrown under the bus like this by warrior fans is interesting to see. Not that he doesnt deserve it, but the sniffers back then bitched and moaned at us for wanting to get rid of Parker when he looked done. Just goes to show you that all fanbases act like this.

:lol Mr Body not reading forums outside the Spurs

scott
04-19-2024, 06:57 PM

Who's ready to pay Klay 4/135? :lol

spurraider21
04-19-2024, 07:49 PM
Klay doesnt realize what a fair salary for him actually looks like

taps
04-21-2024, 02:07 AM
Who's ready to pay Klay 4/135? :lol

Best joke I’ve heard all day.

Gibbz
04-21-2024, 02:19 AM
Jrue is lightyears better than Klay what are we talking about :lol

couchman
04-22-2024, 10:18 AM
My top targets are probably:
Tyus Jones
Kyle Anderson
Batum
Hartenstein

I’ll be surprised if we pick up any of them

scott
05-02-2024, 07:28 PM
What do folks think of Obi Toppin as a potential FA target? Will be an RFA. Shot 40% from 3 this season on 3 attempts/game. Seems like he's a more athletic version of what we would hope Sochan develops into. He's also a career -0.1 DBPM player, which would be a major improvement on our team.

Dejounte
05-02-2024, 07:30 PM
What do folks think of Obi Toppin as a potential FA target? Will be an RFA. Shot 40% from 3 this season on 3 attempts/game. Seems like he's a more athletic version of what we would hope Sochan develops into. He's also a career -0.1 DBPM player, which would be a major improvement on our team.
Chinook ‘s favorite prospect from 2020 (told y’all I keep receipts)

he’d be a solid vet if we lose Cedi or Mamu

objective
05-02-2024, 07:48 PM
There was an episode of Locked On Kings with the Locked on Magic host as guest ... Talked about his the most the Kings can pay Malik Monk starts at 17.5. Seemed to think that it the Magic or Spurs put up 22.5 they could get him if they wanted.

4lifecowboy
05-02-2024, 09:57 PM
Immanuel Quickley???

Chinook
05-02-2024, 10:32 PM

I still love Obi, though I'm not as confident he'd fit what the team is doing right now. Toppin was 100-percent my guy in 2020.I liked Bagley and Derrick Williams too. I'd wanted the Spurs to draft a top PF prospect for donkeys years. It's like how I want a downhill guard now. I'm pretty open about this. That I want archetypes that have a lot of busts is why I'm willing to defer to PATFO's scouting.

But you keep those receipts.

objective
05-02-2024, 11:05 PM
Tobias Harris in an elimination game:

29 minutes

0 points
0 steals
0 blocks

And that's who some people want the Spurs to sign?

If people want to guarantee Wemby never winning a title as a Spur, then yes, Tobias Harris would be a good signing

objective
05-02-2024, 11:06 PM

Don't forget my favorite, Patrick Williams! And I want him this off-season!

Dverde
05-02-2024, 11:06 PM
Kelly Oubre Jr has said he’d play for Pop in the past. I think he’d be a solid replacement if Keldon is traded.

jesterbobman
05-04-2024, 01:09 AM
As a person who had signing Tobias as part of my ideal offseason...Maybe not. I was thinking of getting an adult in the room, but he's got James Harden disease of disappearing in the playoffs. I still think a big wing is a need.

Manu-of-steel
05-04-2024, 09:20 PM
Naz Reid. Derrick White if he becomes available. Kelly Uobre. Nick Batum

Knoxxx
05-06-2024, 04:42 PM
Naz Reid. Derrick White if he becomes available. Kelly Uobre. Nick Batum

Where are people getting Naz Reid being available? I am showing him only one year in on a team friendly 3-year deal. That he can opt out of after next season. Seems like we are a year away from anything happening with Reid.

Knoxxx
05-06-2024, 04:43 PM
San Antonio Spurs Could Make a Splash for Devin Booker, Rumors - Inside The Spurs (athlonsports.com) (https://athlonsports.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/inside-spurs/news/san-antonio-spurs-could-make-splash-devin-booker-rumors)

Knoxxx
05-06-2024, 04:48 PM
Related:

Getting Drafted By San Antonio Spurs Would be 'Amazing,' Says Top Prospect (si.com) (https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/san-antonio-spurs-rob-dillingham-kentucky-wildcats-nba-draft)

"It would be amazing," said Dillingham on ESPN (https://twitter.com/brayknowball/status/1777806245296038056?s=46&t=d5LLxAH6DkzkBf18jDmQoA) when asked about the possibility of starting his career in San Antonio. "There is nothing [Wembanyama] can't do. Playing with him, it's like if he has the ball in his hands two people got to guard him. Really playing with the whole team and learning from Popovich, the whole team, and playing with Wemby I feel like would be an amazing opportunity for sure."

I know this was posted on another thread, but overall Pop is a wildly popular coach across the league. Regardless of what folks think of his recent job performance. Wemby has been fine w/Pop, most importantly.

spurraider21
05-06-2024, 05:13 PM
teams aren't going to trade high end role players making just above MLE money. guys like Naz Reid, Herb Jones... not gonna happen. NOP might make some changes, but only a team absolutely blowing it up like the post derozan spurs are going to sell valuable role players on good deals. NOP might reshuffle by finding new homes for mccollum/ingram/jv... not sending out their affordable high value players

Knoxxx
05-06-2024, 09:53 PM
After looking at Booker contract, I’m kind of like meh. First couple years seem doable, but paying him $57 and $61 million in years 3 and 4 seems a bit steep.