PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Exercise: Pop/Wright have been fired, you’ve been put in charge.

scott
12-13-2023, 09:53 PM
The scenario: Holt Jr has lifted his head from the giant pile of coke on his desk long enough to notice what Pop and Co are doing and he fires Pop and Wright. But, he’s on such a wild bender he hires you to rebuild the franchise, starting with a fire sale, and tells you the expectation is to make the playoffs in Wemby’s third year.

What moves do you make?

Ground rules:

Wemby is the only player off limits, everyone else can go
Moves must be realistic. You can’t trade Tre Jones for Luka, unless we’re talking Samanic.
You must stay below the first luxury tax apron
All moves must pass the trade machine

talkspurs
12-13-2023, 10:24 PM
I hire Becky Hammon. She coaches them and we win. I would also maybe need to move vassel for a point guard.

CorrectCrusader
12-13-2023, 10:28 PM
Establish myself as head coach for the rest of the szn. Play the starting lineup of [Jones-Vassell-Keldon-Sochan-Wemby] the rest of the season. Draft either the top PG or Zacharie then we win 30 rings in a row to establish wembanyamas goat case

Spursfanfromafar
12-13-2023, 10:41 PM
There is no point firing Pop/ Wright now. Any new coach / GM will struggle to make lemonade from this mess. It's better to wait till the end of the season and then see if there are alternatives.

Chinook
12-13-2023, 10:47 PM
They just need to start Jones and play Graham. I really wouldn't mind the season -- including the W/L record -- if they were putting their best foot forward.

Now if I were forced to run the team, I would've wanted the job more back in June when the full off-season were open. Right now, there's been too much damage done to make any win-now move. I'd monitor the wire for an interesting young player to try to trade for, but I'm mostly waiting for the off-season. I do think the players like each other, and that's the most important thing for the rest of this season. Play a real PG with them to let them start growing again, and then figure it out this summer.

Tyronn Lue
12-13-2023, 11:00 PM
Move 1: Come here to :elephant
Move 2: Entire team - no more 3pt shooting. I don't care if you lose. I want to see the passing game and some inside shots. This gets Victor involved.
Move 3: If Victor doesn't touch the ball, you better not have touched it either.
Move 4: See how that plays out

I don't think it's so much about one turd starting over another turd. I think it's about how well the turds play together and how well they get the ball to Victor.

timtonymanu
12-13-2023, 11:03 PM
I sure as hell wouldn’t care if fans booed the opposing team. :lol

TheGreatYacht
12-13-2023, 11:23 PM
1. Hire Coach Bud.

2. Draft Ron Holland with my first pick. Rob Dillingham with my second, and if he’s unavailable then I take Stephon Castle.

3a. Get any PATFO fluffer from this site to go show Uncle Dennis a good time and get Kawhi back. If that doesn’t work then I would have to do Plan B, which is below.

3b. Make a package of Keldon plus multiple first rounders that does NOT include our pick next year or the Bulls pick to try and get OG Anunoby.

4. I will take any second rounder even if it’s for 2040 to get Jeremy Sochan and Zach Collins off this fucking team.

5. Once that is done, try and get Valenciunas locked to a good $15-20M per/3-4yr deal

Wemby/Valenciunas
Kawhi or OG
Holland/Champagnie
Vassell/Branham
Dillingham or Castle/Jones

Obstructed_View
12-14-2023, 12:59 AM
Why the fuck would anybody fire Wright? Does he have the ability to fire Pop? Because that's the only fireable offense I can think of.

Twisted_Dawg
12-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Why the fuck would anybody fire Wright? Does he have the ability to fire Pop? Because that's the only fireable offense I can think of.

Ever heard of Josh Primo?

gambit1990
12-14-2023, 01:14 AM
step #1) build a time machine and go to after landing the #1 pick

step #2) fire pop, hire ime or d’antoni

step #3) trade for hield & turner when they could’ve been had for not very much

bonus: convince cp3 to buyout with the wizards, then sign him

might not be in chronological order but you get the gist.

spurs would be would 2nd or 3rd seed rn tbh.

TheGreatYacht
12-14-2023, 01:59 AM
Reached on a projected late first rounder in Josh Primo (who averaged 8ppg on 43fg% at Bama :lol) with the 12th pick. Many here were huge Sengun fans, me personally wanted Jalen Johnson at the time. Both would have been better than the predator who was dog shit even before he exposed his micropenis, but was given a pass because of his age.

Next draft he had the riches of having 3 first rounders and used them on analytically the worst players in the NBA in Sochan, Branham, and Wesley. Not kidding on that either. Sochan and Branhan both have NEGATIVE win shares, the two worst Value Over Replacement on the team, and of all rotation players they both have the worst Box Plus Minus BY FAR. I won't even touch on Blake Wesley that much, all that needs to be said is he has a negative Net Rating in the G League...

https://advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width2048/img/pistons_impact/photo/brian-wright-3-30-16jpg-b8e81999d42d838f.jpg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fpistons%2F2016%2 F03%2Fdetroit_pistons_qa_assistant_g.html&psig=AOvVaw1r5VL86Dy1J72OhTg-dQu6&ust=1702622010221000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCMDNkLOnjoMDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

TekXX
12-14-2023, 02:23 AM
Yea if I'm Holt I let Pop take all the L's before I fire him but if it has to be that way obviously the season is done already so you might as well complete the tank but im definitely looking to trade and clean a large majority of guys out of here.

scott
12-14-2023, 02:25 AM

Because how else do you become GM in this hypothetical scenario?

Obstructed_View
12-14-2023, 02:27 AM
Ever heard of Josh Primo?
Yeah. Still on an NBA roster.

Obstructed_View
12-14-2023, 02:27 AM
Reached on a projected late first rounder in Josh Primo (who averaged 8ppg on 43fg% at Bama :lol) with the 12th pick. Many here were huge Sengun fans, me personally wanted Jalen Johnson at the time. Both would have been better than the predator who was dog shit even before he exposed his micropenis, but was given a pass because of his age.

Next draft he had the riches of having 3 first rounders and used them on analytically the worst players in the NBA in Sochan, Branham, and Wesley. Not kidding on that either. Sochan and Branhan both have NEGATIVE win shares, the two worst Value Over Replacement on the team, and of all rotation players they both have the worst Box Plus Minus BY FAR. I won't even touch on Blake Wesley that much, all that needs to be said is he has a negative Net Rating in the G League...

https://advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width2048/img/pistons_impact/photo/brian-wright-3-30-16jpg-b8e81999d42d838f.jpg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fpistons%2F2016%2 F03%2Fdetroit_pistons_qa_assistant_g.html&psig=AOvVaw1r5VL86Dy1J72OhTg-dQu6&ust=1702622010221000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCMDNkLOnjoMDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD
You are making a case for firing Pop, not Wright.

HemisfairArena
12-14-2023, 02:38 AM
1. Already stated I would have traded for Lilliard in other treads. Fuck the draft picks. That would have been my first move. You need a superstar to keep another superstar happy. Lakers knew that when they traded their future for Anthony Davis to appease LeBron which resulted in a title.

2. Hire Robert Horry as coach.

3. See #1,,,,,trade draft picks for proven players and quit this high risk/high reward approach when you have a guy like Wemby for only 4 years or he's gone,,,you gotta swing for the fences now,,,,not wait for a draft and hope it pans out,,,,you cant pick specific players which the OP wants because you dont know who is realistically available,,,,,you could probably make a trade work under the trade machine but the player will never be available,,,,,

4. I'd call Memphis and see what it would take to pull Morant out of there since they may be having cold feet on him after his legal trouble. You pair Wemby and Morant and watch out.

Proxy
12-14-2023, 03:48 AM
Definitely hiring ducks and mugen for those spots

DeadlyDynasty
12-14-2023, 05:37 AM
I don't get the outrage. Spurs are a mortal lock for a Top 3 pick now and despite how awful they are Wemby looks way ahead of schedule and other NBA talent is taking notice. FAs and ring-chasers would probably jump at the chance to play with this kid in a year or two.

Let Pop fall on the sword this season but keep the losing going strong. Package the draft capital for a prized FA or draft your next PG.

They were never going to compete this year, so why be this upset about it. Wemby is already a lock to break several rookie records and win ROY, so no need to course correct till EoS.

heyheymymy
12-14-2023, 06:59 AM
Step 1: Re-hire Coach Pop and Brian Wright

Step 2: Do not win another game this season

Step 3: Double my luck in 2024 draft

KobesAchilles
12-14-2023, 08:13 AM
I don't get the outrage. Spurs are a mortal lock for a Top 3 pick now and despite how awful they are Wemby looks way ahead of schedule and other NBA talent is taking notice. FAs and ring-chasers would probably jump at the chance to play with this kid in a year or two.

Let Pop fall on the sword this season but keep the losing going strong. Package the draft capital for a prized FA or draft your next PG.

They were never going to compete this year, so why be this upset about it. Wemby is already a lock to break several rookie records and win ROY, so no need to course correct till EoS.
So losing 19 straight games is a good thing now since we were never going to contend? I don’t mind losing games but 19 in a row is bull shit

DeadlyDynasty
12-14-2023, 08:38 AM
So losing 19 straight games is a good thing now since we were never going to contend? I don’t mind losing games but 19 in a row is bull shit
I'm quite enjoying it, tbh.

Could be worse. You could be Detroit

JeffDuncan
12-14-2023, 08:46 AM
Ok, I get to run the Spurs.

Step 1: do a thorough audit of the entire organization for the last ten years.

Subsequent steps depend on who goes, or how many go, to prison.

sfernald
12-14-2023, 09:47 AM
You know it’s about time the spurs org recognized my greatness. First things first, I want a Monty Williams sized deal. Then kindergarten can begin.

Mugen
12-14-2023, 10:20 AM
I'd hire Pop back so I can fire him again tbh.

Excessive Egotist
12-14-2023, 10:50 AM
I'd target Ty Lue, Bud, Will Hardy, and Spo. I know all but one are under contract, but that can be navigated. I'd bet all would be tempted by a long term contract and opportunity to coach Wemby.

In my view the Spurs front office (under Wright) is top ten in the league in terms of transactions. The Murray and White deals were very strong. The DeRozan and Poeltl deals were better than anyone would have expected at the time. The 2030 swap for Reggie Bullock was excellent. They extracted maximum value for also-ran Josh Richardson. Etc... But the talent evaluation under Wright looks average: Jones, Vassell and Sochan are good picks, but Haliburton would have been preferable to Vassell and Jalen Williams, Jalen Duran, and, perhaps, Tari Eason would have be preferable to Sochan. Branham is tbd. Wesley and Primo are misses. So I'd keep Wright, but shore up the talent evaluators around him. Seems like improving the f.o. staff is a better option than replacing it.

There are a number of trades I'd make for Keldon Johnson IF it returned a reasonable contract and unprotected projected lottery picks and swaps between '25-27. I'm not at all interested in packaging Johnson plus picks for a win-now vet. I'd rather grow patiently around Vic and increase our odds of landing Cooper Flagg or AJ Dybantsa.

I'd take on bad money for unprotected picks. For example, LaVine if Chicago completely lifted protections on '25 and provided something else.

Big picture: I'd set the over/under at 5 for players currently on roster who will still be on the team when Wemby is eligible for an extension. I'd take the under. The Spurs shouldn't rush this. The Spurs eventual second and third best player next to Wemby are yet to be drafted.

The Truth #6
12-14-2023, 11:15 AM
First step: make big changes
Second step: listen to the fan base ridicule all of your decisions

K...
12-14-2023, 11:41 AM
The spurs need a coach who wemby approves, who other team front offices don't hold grudges over, who's offensive and defensive schemes work for wemby. Pop clears wemby approval, has a few grudges, and hasn't developed a scheme for him (if he had one he;s not going to publicize it ) . this is why i don't care about POP because the front office to tell him to coach harder if they chose. So it's a choice to let victor freelance until we get better talent i guess.

spurraider21
12-14-2023, 12:39 PM
im hiring coach bud

if im also managing the team, as chinook already said, i'm going to play both Tre and Graham and have very few minutes without either of them on the floor. im benching branham. would love to see some minutes with mamu and wemby on the floor together as well. i know mamu's D is atrocious, but he's somebody who drives and passes with purpose.

spurraider21
12-14-2023, 01:12 PM
also if the warriors decide they're collapsing, id still call to take on CP3 in the offseason

The Truth #6
12-14-2023, 01:14 PM
Hire Steve Kerr and Bob Myers if possible. I trust that combo. Myers is unemployed. Kerr hopefully is looking for his next move.

KobesAchilles
12-14-2023, 03:48 PM
I'm quite enjoying it, tbh.

Could be worse. You could be Detroit
That's every city's motto

TD 21
12-14-2023, 04:28 PM
Hire Steve Kerr and Bob Myers if possible. I trust that combo. Myers is unemployed. Kerr hopefully is looking for his next move.

Why because they lucked into a pseudo dynasty?

Curry's early career wonky ankles suppressing his value, an unprecedented cap spike and their core + Durant being insecure, gutless worms, not interested in earning their hardware, paved the way for the middle two.

Meanwhile, throughout they benefitted from unprecedented opponent injury luck.

Check their draft record.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-14-2023, 05:48 PM

I'm down with what this Laker fan said.

CGD
12-15-2023, 12:23 AM
1) Draft Topic at #2 and Dunn at #9
2) Move Keldon for two distant FRPs
3) Trade for Deandre Hunter usin
4) Renounce rest of chaff
5) Pick up 2 new solid vets
6) start Tre-DV- Hunter-sochan-VW
7) Make play-in