PDA

View Full Version : NBA: The case for ranking Mo Malone ahead of Snaq Oneal

MultiTroll
12-21-2023, 01:36 PM
Hear him out.

Chris Russo argues that Moses Malone was better than Shaq: "What did Malone do with a bunch of castoffs against Bird, McHale, and Parish in the 1981 NBA Finals?" (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/chris-russo-argues-that-moses-malone-was-better-than-shaq-what-did-malone-do-with-a-bunch-of-castoffs-against-bird-mchale-and-parish-in-the-1981-nba-finals/ar-AA1lPVZi?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=873a64245d764e828b688ee6c9ca571c&ei=19)

baseline bum
12-21-2023, 03:04 PM
God the Sixers were morons for trading him. I could understand the logic of Houston doing it since they wanted to tank for Sampson but he was only 30 when Philly gifted him to the Bullets WTF. Especially after hearing how great a leader Moses was from Charles Barkley and how Moses was responsible for getting Chuck to take his job seriously instead of eating his way out of the league.

RIP Moses, you're a motherfucking legend

Thread
12-21-2023, 08:10 PM
And Jabbar couldn't handle him, that was the main problem in that circa. Jabbar was too tall and Malone would get in there in his midst and corkscrew his shit. It looked odd and it just would not work. Though it didn't stop us from trying it endlessly to no avail.

ambchang
12-22-2023, 05:15 AM
Moses was definitely underrated. He is much closer to shaq than anyone would give me credit for (other than Russo) but I would put moses slightly below shaq or at most equal.

Malone was an adversary to the lakers. Shaq played with the lakers so that in itself would push Malone down the all time list a few notches and boost shaq up a few notches.

lefty
12-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Both of them had short primes

Moses punked Kareem twice in the post season - 81 and 83

Shaq was dominant in his prime

Moses was strong but not as strong as Shaq but more skilled

Shaq not as skilled but physically ultra dominant

I think I would go with Shaq

lefty
12-22-2023, 10:49 AM
God the Sixers were morons for trading him. I could understand the logic of Houston doing it since they wanted to tank for Sampson but he was only 30 when Philly gifted him to the Bullets WTF. Especially after hearing how great a leader Moses was from Charles Barkley and how Moses was responsible for getting Chuck to take his job seriously instead of eating his way out of the league.

RIP Moses, you're a motherfucking legend
By the end of the 85 season, Sixers were old

Celtics outran them and Moses started to decline, Parish ate his lunch that year in the playoffs

Thread
12-22-2023, 06:02 PM
By the end of the 85 season, Sixers were old

Celtics outran them and Moses started to decline, Parish ate his lunch that year in the playoffs

...then had his own lunch eaten right there in Boston. They was limpin' around, Dick Stockton: "Oh, look, double 00's feet. Oh, this is terrible. Oh. goodness, you have to feel sorry for him. I don't know if this is fair. I don't know if this is right. I think I'm about to call CBS and ask for a replacement for myself. Oh, Red and his Auerbach. Look, he's so concerned. Oh. Oh. Oh."

Then afterward, when they was doing the post mortem happy horseshit. It was like somebody had died, or, lost money. Hushed tones, reverent stances. I could hear a pin drop.

Tyronn Lue
12-22-2023, 06:16 PM
You have to go with Shaq.

FrostKing
12-24-2023, 02:01 AM
Moses before my time. I remember first seeing his name pop up on all time data categories - 3x NBA MVP. Very rare.

Maybe because Sixers have been mediocre since except for Iverson - Very little media mention of Moses. I only see him mentioned as player that skipped College.

The '83 Sixers sit alongside the 1985 Bears as included in GOAT team discussions but only rung once.

Walton documentary - Sixers epic series. Philly seemed to have locker room drama. Philadelphia is a classic American city & sports town but I would rank 1 below Detroit. Below Chicago.

FrostKing
12-24-2023, 02:13 AM
Shaquille

3-Franchises to the NBA Finals
3-Peat
Numerous Rule changes

Perfect off court reputation. Most Global well recognized black athlete since Jordan. I remember asking Polaks in villages "Shaq?"
And they knew. The size, the smile & humor.

I've never met someone that disliked Shaq. He's up there with Bob Marley, Ghandi, Tom Hanks, Pamela Amderson :lol

Since I watched NBA regularly
- MJ
- Shaq
- Duncan
- Lebron

Anywhere, anytime. Build around them & Rings will happen

Obstructed_View
12-25-2023, 09:30 PM
First off, it's tough to put a guy on an all time team when the NBA made a rule change to help him. It's also tough when you have to put a dude on the bench at the end of a game because he can't hit a free throw.

Mostly, Shaq would be higher on the list for me if his fucking fat ass had been in shape. I remember one year he waited until the season was about to start before getting toe surgery and he was out until January. He was dominant, he was one of a kind, and he is about as good a guy as ever suited up in the league. But he was the anti-Duncan when it came to being a professional and being prepared. Kobe was a shit teammate because he was so unforgiving of teammates, but maybe Shaq made him that way.

Moses is the one who told Charles Barkley he was a fuckin lard ass and he'd be in the hall of fame if he lost 30 pounds.

That, and he was the best player on the second best NBA team I ever saw play.

Mo mo mo.

MultiTroll
12-25-2023, 10:16 PM
Shaquille

3-Peat

No one with hi BBIQ recognizes the *3 peat*.
The Kings won, period.

2. 3 Franchise Finals indeed impressive.
Mo did it with 2. Also while playing alongside the best in the Eastern Conf, that being Bob Parish, McHale and other good EC frontlines.

Shaq waltzed in against pussified West Conf teams and Kobme Laker reffing.
Deduct points.

Thread
12-25-2023, 10:16 PM
First off, it's tough to put a guy on an all time team when the NBA made a rule change to help him. It's also tough when you have to put a dude on the bench at the end of a game because he can't hit a free throw.

Mostly, Shaq would be higher on the list for me if his fucking fat ass had been in shape. I remember one year he waited until the season was about to start before getting toe surgery and he was out until January. He was dominant, he was one of a kind, and he is about as good a guy as ever suited up in the league. But he was the anti-Duncan when it came to being a professional and being prepared. Kobe was a shit teammate because he was so unforgiving of teammates, but maybe Shaq made him that way.

Moses is the one who told Charles Barkley he was a fuckin lard ass and he'd be in the hall of fame if he lost 30 pounds.

That, and he was the best player on the second best NBA team I ever saw play.

Mo mo mo.

Your Duncan was no angel, Obst. He let that White woman from town take that NBA Championship down in Florida from ya's. Now you're short one, forever.

Sure, the league AND media kept their yaps shut about it in the circa, but I ain't the league and he fucked up.

Thread
12-25-2023, 10:18 PM
The Kings won, period.

Mo did it with 2. Also while playing alongside the best in the Eastern Conf, that being Bob Parish, McHale and other good EC frontlines.

Deduct points.

Your Duncan was no angel, Mult. He let that White woman from town take that NBA Championship down in Florida from ya's. Now you're short one, forever.

Sure, the league AND media kept their yaps shut about it in the circa, but I ain't the league and he fucked up.

Thread
12-25-2023, 10:22 PM
The Kings won, period.

Deduct points.

And don't give me that BS on that 3-peat. Adelman begged that SOB outta that last TO to wiggle into Horry's jock strap with him and the stubborn bastard wouldn't listen, turned his back---started wandering back up that lane. Jackson didn't have to tell Horry to drop anchor. He knew without being told.

Let us proceed...

Thread
12-25-2023, 10:24 PM
Shaquille

3-Peat
Numerous Rule changes

Perfect off court reputation. Most Global well recognized black athlete since Jordan. I remember asking Polaks in villages "Shaq?"
And they knew. The size, the smile & humor.

I've never met someone that disliked Shaq. He's up there with Bob Marley, Ghandi, Tom Hanks, Pamela Amderson :lol

Since I watched NBA regularly
- MJ
- Shaq
- Duncan
- Lebron

Anywhere, anytime. Build around them & Rings will happen

You can take Hanks, turn him sidewise and shove him up your ass, Frosty. He's a fuck. Another SOB who couldn't live with Trump making President.

Obstructed_View
12-25-2023, 10:53 PM
Your Duncan was no angel, Obst. He let that White woman from town take that NBA Championship down in Florida from ya's. Now you're short one, forever.

Aww! You get your feefees hurt because someone tells the truth about the fat center that abandoned you and helped a better shooting guard win a ring? That's so precious. :lol

Was there a white woman playing for the Heat? What the fuck are you even talking about? Lmao Popovich cost Timmy more rings than your copypasta white woman did. Timmy is still second only to Jordan all-time. There isn't a Laker that comes close. :lol

Thread
12-25-2023, 11:32 PM
Aww! You get your feefees hurt because someone tells the truth about the fat center that abandoned you and helped a better shooting guard win a ring? That's so precious. :lol

Was there a white woman playing for the Heat? What the fuck are you even talking about? Lmao Popovich cost Timmy more rings than your copypasta white woman did. Timmy is still second only to Jordan all-time. There isn't a Laker that comes close. :lol

Don't give me that bull shit. Duncan was married to that fancy ass White girl. She took up with the Mexican pool cleaner. She wanted a divorce and everything that was OR was not nailed down. Instead of Duncan just giving it to her so she'd go away and he could get back to business, he stonewalled her and she bit back stalking him the rest of the way. He got distracted, missed that bunny late inn Florida and you're short one, forever. Now, do you want me to set a sun, Obst, or, have you had enough?

As to this Daddy & Kobe. Yes, Daddy abandoned us and I too thought Kobe would end up ass over the teacup in terms of total rings.

Kobe: 5
Daddy: 4

Merry fuckin' Christmas, Obst.

TD 21
12-25-2023, 11:38 PM
There isn't a (credible) one. I never could stand O'Neal, but I'd rank only Abdul-Jabbar and Duncan above him . . .

Tier 1: Abdul-Jabbar
Tier 2: Duncan, O'Neal, Olajuwon
Tier 3: Jokic, Robinson, Malone
Tier 4: Embiid, Davis
Tier 5: P. Gasol, Ewing, Howard

Chamberlain and Russell are difficult to contextualize, Walton lacked longevity and Sabonis entered the league post prime.

Thread
12-26-2023, 12:30 AM
There isn't a (credible) one. I never could stand O'Neal, but I'd rank only Abdul-Jabbar and Duncan above him . . .

Chamberlain and Russell are difficult to contextualize, Walton lacked longevity and Sabonis entered the league post prime.

+ Jabbar has 6.

FrostKing
12-26-2023, 01:17 AM

DRob isn't 3rd tier. Drop Davis too.

But overall good list. Barkley led the Suns to the Finals in a loaded West during the Center era. Chuck would ring today.

Howard vs Alonzo Mourning

McHale and KG

FrostKing
12-26-2023, 01:28 AM
1. Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Shaq, Duncan
2. Hakeem, Malone, Chuck, KG, Jokic
3. Robinson, Gasol, Ewing, McHale
Next: Sabonis, Howard, Davis, Alonzo

ambchang
12-26-2023, 09:44 AM
Barkley and KG is the same tier as robinson. Barkley is a black hole on offense and can never win a title because of this. He doesn’t play any defence and needed a crazily loaded suns team plus 64 FTs to get to the finals. I love chuck, one of my favourite non spurs player and the one single non spurs player I would love to meet in person, but he is a very difficult player to build around.

KG is literally robinson lite. Everything he does Robinson did better (except range of his outside shot).

baseline bum
12-26-2023, 11:15 AM
Barkley and KG is the same tier as robinson. Barkley is a black hole on offense and can never win a title because of this. He doesn’t play any defence and needed a crazily loaded suns team plus 64 FTs to get to the finals. I love chuck, one of my favourite non spurs player and the one single non spurs player I would love to meet in person, but he is a very difficult player to build around.

KG is literally robinson lite. Everything he does Robinson did better (except range of his outside shot).

I met him a couple of times when he was on the Sixers and he is really is great to fans.

TD 21
12-26-2023, 11:31 AM
I slapped this together in like 2 minutes, but yeah if Howard is included, then it's fair to add Mourning too.

I'd actually lean Olajuwon in the third tier and Malone in the fourth tier, but I know that wouldn't be consensus.

Garnett, Barkley, McHale, etc. weren't included because they weren't C's. Spare me the notion that Duncan, P. Gasol and Davis weren't either or that Duncan can't double as the GOAT PF, when he primarily nominally played it his first 9 seasons and did it better than anyone in history.

Obstructed_View
12-26-2023, 03:37 PM
Don't give me that bull shit. Duncan was married to that fancy ass White girl. She took up with the Mexican pool cleaner. She wanted a divorce and everything that was OR was not nailed down. Instead of Duncan just giving it to her so she'd go away and he could get back to business, he stonewalled her and she bit back stalking him the rest of the way. He got distracted, missed that bunny late inn Florida and you're short one, forever. Now, do you want me to set a sun, Obst, or, have you had enough?

As to this Daddy & Kobe. Yes, Daddy abandoned us and I too thought Kobe would end up ass over the teacup in terms of total rings.

Kobe: 5
Daddy: 4

Merry fuckin' Christmas, Obst.
Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Yeah, Shaq was man enough to leave town and there was fortunately a long line of guys to come in and carry Kobe, despite his refusal to pass to them. :lol

I guess you can put 2013 on Amy if you want. I have it on Pop. Six of one. She kept him from Orlando so I'll give her whoring ass a mulligan.

Spurs probably wouldn't have rung in 14 if they had pulled it out in 13. Pop can't put two in a row together.

Thread
12-26-2023, 04:18 PM
Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Yeah, Shaq was man enough to leave town and there was fortunately a long line of guys to come in and carry Kobe, despite his refusal to pass to them. :lol

I guess you can put 2013 on Amy if you want. I have it on Pop. Six of one. She kept him from Orlando so I'll give her whoring ass a mulligan.

Spurs probably wouldn't have rung in 14 if they had pulled it out in 13. Pop can't put two in a row together.

He passed to Artest just fine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mT99HCFFI

Obstructed_View
12-26-2023, 06:07 PM
He passed to Artest just fine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mT99HCFFI
About time. Somebody had to actually make clutch shots.

Thread
12-26-2023, 06:21 PM
About time. Somebody had to actually make clutch shots.

I got no problem stipulating to that fact.

But that pass was a crusher...everybody and their sister knew he was going to hoist that thing. Media was counting on that with all their might:::Boston could/would prevail and they'd tie Kobe to the whipping post and he'd remain there till the California hillside years later. Did (the pass) change Kobe? No, he/we lucked out a year later by finding that idiot Howard cross the center court jump and rang again; Kobe could strut like a bandy rooster, we, he included knew the truth.

'10 was brought to fruition by Fisher coming back across from Utah. Without him we'd a been beat and terribly so. Fish humanized Kobe in the '10 Finals...cracked his maddening facade, made him buckle, made him work, made him stop whining, made him drop his game face the final 12 minutes and go for it. Those final minutes remain Kobe's finest hour. He's maniacal as he spots the end forming before his very eyes. Fisher did that.

Arcadian
12-26-2023, 09:38 PM
Yeah,

No.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2023, 11:03 AM
I got no problem stipulating to that fact.

But that pass was a crusher...everybody and their sister knew he was going to hoist that thing. Media was counting on that with all their might:::Boston could/would prevail and they'd tie Kobe to the whipping post and he'd remain there till the California hillside years later. Did (the pass) change Kobe? No, he/we lucked out a year later by finding that idiot Howard cross the center court jump and rang again; Kobe could strut like a bandy rooster, we, he included knew the truth.

'10 was brought to fruition by Fisher coming back across from Utah. Without him we'd a been beat and terribly so. Fish humanized Kobe in the '10 Finals...cracked his maddening facade, made him buckle, made him work, made him stop whining, made him drop his game face the final 12 minutes and go for it. Those final minutes remain Kobe's finest hour. He's maniacal as he spots the end forming before his very eyes. Fisher did that.

You know what? Good for him for passing when it counts. He couldn't have worked harder as a player. He couldn't have squeezed more out of his abilities as an athlete. He clearly cared about his craft. He just wasn't the best teammate because he couldn't forgive anyone that didn't work as hard as he did. That means there were like five guys in NBA history who he wouldn't have alienated. He needed the right kind of guys to be able to work with him and he had a bunch of them.

If basketball were an individual sport like tennis, Kobe is pretty easily top three all time IMO. If you're going to need good teammates to help you, there's no better team to attract them than the Lakers.

Thread
12-27-2023, 11:40 AM
You know what? Good for him for passing when it counts. He couldn't have worked harder as a player. He couldn't have squeezed more out of his abilities as an athlete. He clearly cared about his craft. He just wasn't the best teammate because he couldn't forgive anyone that didn't work as hard as he did. That means there were like five guys in NBA history who he wouldn't have alienated. He needed the right kind of guys to be able to work with him and he had a bunch of them.

If basketball were an individual sport like tennis, Kobe is pretty easily top three all time IMO. If you're going to need good teammates to help you, there's no better team to attract them than the Lakers.

Amen.

MultiTroll
12-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Dale are zero, nada, nothing and zip all meaning the same thing?
Zero?

Fo Fo Fo Fo

Thread
12-28-2023, 04:21 AM
Dale are zero, nada, nothing and zip all meaning the same thing?
Zero?

Fo Fo Fo Fo

Speak coherently, GD it. Suns won tonite and I am sour and put upon. If I had a dog, I'd beat it.

lefty
12-28-2023, 10:44 AM

And that’s why Magic > Kobe

Obstructed_View
12-28-2023, 12:14 PM
That's why Kobe is only top ten in Lakerfan lists.

Thread
12-28-2023, 01:13 PM

Magic had his own demons early on, he was not pure by any means. Couldn't hit the broad side of a good sized barn till the Celtics egged him on so maliciously he learned to shoot from the outside. That's how we finally broke thru in Massachusetts in June of '85.

Magic had his own demons at the last. Let himself be AID'ed and it cost him and us an unknown number of NBA World Championships. Then finally returns and makes a complete ass of himself by physically accosting an NBA referee.

But he remains our savior. Instead of permitting the Celtics and (MSM in close association to ruin him) as they'd ruined Baylor, Dale/me, West, Jabbar and so many other Lakers he hardened himself to it, embraced it, instead of fleeing and hiding from it. Then Magic dragged the affected from their hiding places in '85 and freed us all. And he did it not out of hatred, anger and vengeance, (as I'd demanded) but did it in the spirit of our salvation: a grailed quest. That I don't forget. That remains Magic's finest hour. Without him we're still wandering in the dark.

lefty
12-28-2023, 03:36 PM
That's why Kobe is only top ten in Lakerfan lists.
yep

But as you said, top 3 all time iso player, and nobody, not even MJ, has worked so hard on his craft

Thread
12-28-2023, 11:55 PM

Thread
12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
yep

But as you said, top 3 all time iso player, and nobody, not even MJ, has worked so hard on his craft

...but cost himself & (us) valuable year(s) of his absolute zenith because he'd dallied with strange wool.

And just thank Christ it was in "Jerkwater, USA."

FrostKing
12-29-2023, 06:28 AM
Best players I saw in their prime

Jordan
Shaq
Duncan
Lebron

Next 3: Kobe, Curry, Jokic

lefty
12-29-2023, 05:57 PM

Jordan
Shaq
Duncan
Lebron

Pre-fatness/injuries Shaq was a force

ambchang
12-29-2023, 07:01 PM

Jordan
Shaq
Duncan
Lebron

I can make a strong argument that Garnett and Barkley had a higher peak than Kobe.