PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Bulls - Dec. 21, 2023

timvp
12-22-2023, 04:38 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/2023-spurs-bulls-grades-27/

buttsR4rebounding
12-22-2023, 06:28 AM
Thanks, Tim. It is becoming clear that Pop’s “I’m going to let them figure it out” was really “I don’t know what to do”. I was glad when my Bally stream gave out in the 3rd quarter. I just went to bed.

spursparker9
12-22-2023, 06:58 AM
Let's try for 19 straight this time baby

Ocotillo
12-22-2023, 07:51 AM
When do we get to play Detroit? :lol

Fireball
12-22-2023, 08:20 AM
when Wemby does not get his stats, this all becomes totally meaningless and even more frustrating ...

LeBowen
12-22-2023, 08:30 AM
Tbh, it's pointless to hope things will get better.
Pop has completely lost it and most of our current rotation is useless.

From now on, I'm hoping for as many horrible losses as possible and for the old man to have some decency and step down.
Roster changes and player development are irrelevant as long as he's in charge.
Kind of sad seeing him go out like this, but it's his own doing.

freetiago
12-22-2023, 08:30 AM
You say Sochan was disciplined defensively yet he at every single pump fake from Defrozen. Champagne did earlier once and Sean said Pop called a timeout to yell at him. Sochan does it everytime and gets rewarded with the most minutes in the game

sananspursfan21
12-22-2023, 08:45 AM

Why do I have a feeling we’ll be disappointed with the result of that one too? :lol

TheGreatYacht
12-22-2023, 09:00 AM
I’m sorry, but Pop deserved an F-. This was the worst coached game I’ve ever seen from him and it’s embarrassing that none of those useless yes men next to him have the balls to tell him anything.

He called 1 timeout in the entire first half. There was an atrocious 6+ minute portion of the 2nd quarter where the team only scored 3 points and were playing selfish and cancerous basketball. Instead of using multiple of his timeouts during this drought, he called one… After a Wembanyama mid range miss that wasn’t a bad shot :lol

The 14 low IQ players on this team are building and developing awful habits because their coach lets them “play thru it”. This stage of development is important and can make or break careers and this guy who’s the highest paid coach in the league (iirc) is just a spectator just like all of us. He doesn’t call plays for the franchise player and he sure as hell doesn’t yell and punish the players that are the worst offenders. What does he even do?

This game was the most frustrated I’ve ever seen Victor get. From showing his displeasure about getting benched every quarter at the 7 minute mark until the start of the next quarter, to getting frustrated because the hero ballers he plays with don’t see his intelligent off the ball movement and cuts to get freed near the basket. He’s going to lose the ROTY race, he’s not going to be an All Star, and because of the shit roster he has around him he won’t make an All defensive team. This isn’t Tim Duncan we’re dealing with who doesn’t care about stuff like that. This is the most hyped prospect since Lebron and a generational talent that we are fumbling. Pop and the front office is going to chase him away 6 years from now, if not sooner, in this player power era and I won’t blame him one bit.

timtonymanu
12-22-2023, 09:10 AM
Pop literally stealing money from fans. Fucking retire already, old man, before you start wearing diapers.

Bruno
12-22-2023, 09:35 AM
Not playing with a PG (or a player with PG skills) screw everything on a team.

It's something I see every year in Europe:teams sign a player as PG that has no clue how to run a team and are horrible. After a couple of months, they replace him with a real PG and become decent.

Spurs don't have the talent to be a playoff team but I'm convinced they could have between 7 and 10 wins if Pop was playing players at their position.

spurraider21
12-22-2023, 10:15 AM
All i know is i first tuned in during the second quarter and immediately saw us blow a 4 on 2 fastbreak that included wemby

TimDunkem
12-22-2023, 10:19 AM
You say Sochan was disciplined defensively yet he at every single pump fake from Defrozen. Champagne did earlier once and Sean said Pop called a timeout to yell at him. Sochan does it everytime and gets rewarded with the most minutes in the game
I wonder if Timvp even watches these games anymore.

exstatic
12-22-2023, 10:25 AM
Not playing with a PG (or a player with PG skills) screw everything on a team.

It's something I see every year in Europe:teams sign a player as PG that has no clue how to run a team and are horrible. After a couple of months, they replace him with a real PG and become decent.

Spurs don't have the talent to be a playoff team but I'm convinced they could have between 7 and 10 wins if Pop was playing players at their position.

10 wins would have us in 7th position.

rjv
12-22-2023, 10:39 AM
the most frustrating part was watching keldon get on wemby when victor didn't pass it out to him outside the three point line. keldon then set a sloppy pick pick for victor after that. vic had seen maliki down low and tried to feed him the ball. it's just a total lack of awareness from players who are starting to become ball hogs. i also think this was the game that sean elliott almost lost it on the air with the lack of touches that victor was getting.

z0sa
12-22-2023, 11:32 AM
the most frustrating part was watching keldon get on wemby when victor didn't pass it out to him outside the three point line. keldon then set a sloppy pick pick for victor after that. vic had seen maliki down low and tried to feed him the ball. it's just a total lack of awareness from players who are starting to become ball hogs. i also think this was the game that sean elliott almost lost it on the air with the lack of touches that victor was getting.

Yeah, it was like he just went silent for stretches, where you know he was cursing under his breath with his mic fader at 0.

We are straight up going to piss Wemby off and lose him, if not physically yet (as in he will be a Spur), mentally he'll already be fishing, waiting for his max extension and then adios.

This guy could have shot us back into at least a couple of these ball-games. I refuse to believe Wemby is the problem here.

Tyronn Lue
12-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Everyone on the team - "get me the ball"
Pop - "Crowd is quiet, good.. good"

Bruno
12-22-2023, 12:13 PM

I guess I wasn't clear enough. Spurs record is 4-23 but I think that it could have been between 7-20 and 10-17 if Pop went with a Jones/Graham PG rotation.

As with every "could have" statement, there are no hard proof of that. It's just my personal feeling.

Seventyniner
12-22-2023, 12:27 PM
I guess I wasn't clear enough. Spurs record is 4-23 but I think that it could have been between 7-20 and 10-17 if Pop went with a Jones/Graham PG rotation.

As with every "could have" statement, there are no hard proof of that. It's just my personal feeling.

In light of that, do you think the Spurs are actively tanking by not playing Jones and Graham as the primary PGs?

mo7888
12-22-2023, 02:08 PM
Does Sochan have any trade value?

Leetonidas
12-22-2023, 02:13 PM
In light of that, do you think the Spurs are actively tanking by not playing Jones and Graham as the primary PGs?

I don't think so at all. I think this is Pop trying to be cute and smarter than everyone else which he has done many times over the years and it usually backfires.

spurraider21
12-22-2023, 02:14 PM
why do you need to pay a coach 16 million dollars if the expectations of said coach is just to vomit all over himself for the whole season?

onechance87
12-22-2023, 02:22 PM
Does Sochan have any trade value?

probably not....We can try to trade for another young player whos struggling maybe
like jayden ivy from the pistons...Either way...Sochan probably not be in our future since
he aint clicking with wemby

LeBowen
12-22-2023, 02:48 PM
probably not....We can try to trade for another young player whos struggling maybe
like jayden ivy from the pistons...Either way...Sochan probably not be in our future since
he aint clicking with wemby

Tbh, no player on the roster has any significant trade value.
Devin is solid, but that contract isn't a bargain. As in he'll probably be worth it, but not one of those bargain deals.
Keldon's contract is cheap, but his defense is atrocious and he's a streaky shooter. Two most important things for a wing in today's league.
Collins is a negative asset with that extension.
Sochan has potential, but no team will give up anything relevant for him.
Others aren't even worth mentioning.

The only way Spurs upgrade is trade is with first rounders and our scrubs attached as salary match.

Mugen
12-22-2023, 03:23 PM
This season is the worst coaching job I've ever seen tbh. :lol

Proxy
12-22-2023, 05:00 PM
I often wonder this season what Manu, TD, and TP think about this shit

Obstructed_View
12-22-2023, 05:05 PM
Manu has been to a lot of the games.

exstatic
12-22-2023, 06:04 PM

I was just stating where we would be in the standings in your hypothetical scenario. You were quite clear.

Thomas82
12-23-2023, 10:22 AM

January 10.......circle that one on the calendar. :lol

Raven
12-23-2023, 11:25 AM
i thought it was one of the best defensive games of the season and the offence was competent, but uninspiring. Then white heat up and no adjustment was made.

Tyronn Lue
12-23-2023, 11:50 AM
layman outlook here obviously but I'd think they all see it from a more technical perspective rather than as a complete product/show like I do.

itzsoweezee
12-23-2023, 12:09 PM

We know what Sean thinks. He appears as dumbfounded as the rest of us about the others refusing to pass to wemby

polandprzem
12-23-2023, 12:41 PM
Why Wemby was playing so little?

Mugen
12-23-2023, 01:01 PM
January 10.......circle that one on the calendar. :lol

:lol if you think the Spurs are winning that one, then you don't know Pop.

The old man has been circling that game on his calendar for weeks making sure he can tank it for his boy Monty. Absolutely zero competitive spirit.

DPG21920
12-23-2023, 03:05 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/2023-spurs-bulls-grades-27/

Bruh - can we please sort of get a season-to-date recap and overall grades/evaluation and how you think it’s going big picture?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-23-2023, 04:46 PM
All the players other than Victor deserve F’s for not getting him the damn ball.

And the old man is asleep at the wheel. F

K...
12-23-2023, 07:41 PM
Why Wemby was playing so little?

Injury limit

Thomas82
12-23-2023, 08:54 PM
:lol if you think the Spurs are winning that one, then you don't know Pop.

The old man has been circling that game on his calendar for weeks making sure he can tank it for his boy Monty. Absolutely zero competitive spirit.

I don't put anything past Pop these days.