PDA

View Full Version : Murray is on the trade market...would you want him back?

Dex
12-26-2023, 02:24 PM
Genuine question and just putting this out there for discussion because I am on the fence.

Dejounte WAS a San Antonio fan favorite and All-Star, but also said some shitty things going out the door.

He is still a good offensive point guard (which we need) and plays solid defense.

On the other hand, not sure what assets the Spurs would need to give up to bring him back or if the relationship is already broken. I'm imagining a few picks and one of our prospects like Branham or Sochan.

Murray may also just be DeRozan 2.0....and I say that with all due respect to DeMar but their games are very similar and neither has really won at the highest level.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-26-2023, 02:33 PM
Don’t want him back unless it’s super cheap, however, now would be a wonderful time for Atlanta to implode.

Joseph Kony
12-26-2023, 02:36 PM
He averaged 9 assist a game playing next to a bunch of garbage, so I imagine he'd easily be able to average 10+ with someone like Vic considering he can actually throw a lob pass.

Depends on the price but I wouldn't mind having him back tbh. yeah he said some dumb shit but mostly because he's immature and was being trashed on social media.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 02:37 PM
I'm imagining a few picks and one of our prospects like Branham or Sochan.
Are you serious?

Done and done.
I would do that trade immediately.

KobesAchilles
12-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Nope
dont want

CorrectCrusader
12-26-2023, 02:53 PM
Absolutely, the cost is the question.
I assume they would ask for a few of their own picks back, but man if they're blowing up their team rn we should absolutely NOT trade their picks because they're about to be insanely valuable.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 02:54 PM
I know who else you can include in the trade.
Get back a 1st round pick too.

Celtics Announce Trade Of Doc Rivers To Clippers - CBS Boston (cbsnews.com) (https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/celtics-announce-trade-of-doc-rivers-to-clippers/)

NASpurs
12-26-2023, 03:01 PM
Yeah why not, if it's not through the draft then there's slim pickings out there.

baseline bum
12-26-2023, 03:04 PM
Genuine question and just putting this out there for discussion because I am on the fence.

Dejounte WAS a San Antonio fan favorite and All-Star, but also said some shitty things going out the door.

He is still a good offensive point guard (which we need) and plays solid defense.

On the other hand, not sure what assets the Spurs would need to give up to bring him back or if the relationship is already broken. I'm imagining a few picks and one of our prospects like Branham or Sochan.

Murray may also just be DeRozan 2.0....and I say that with all due respect to DeMar but their games are very similar and neither has really won at the highest level.

God yes, I'll drive Sochan and Branham to the Greyhound terminal myself.

Bruno
12-26-2023, 03:20 PM
Murray has badly trashed Spurs since he was traded.

I think he would be a very good fit with the current team but I would put two non negotiable conditions for him to come back:
1) He must really want to be back with Spurs. I don't want Spurs to have a player that isn't fully on board with them.
2) He must be fine with Spurs being Wembanyama's team. He won't be Spurs' franchise player.

Atlanta would be more than pleased to rescind the trade. The Trae and Murray pairing hasn't really worked out. Giving back their 2025, 2027, and 2026 swap to Atlanta should be more than enough to get him back.

Saying all that, I think Murray is still angry/biter towards Spurs and is convinced they have treated him badly. He definitively shouldn't be back in these circumstances.

baseline bum
12-26-2023, 03:22 PM

I think he would be a very good fit with the current team but I would put two non negotiable conditions for him to come back:
1) He must really want to be back with Spurs. I don't want Spurs to have a player that isn't fully on board with them.
2) He must be fine with Spurs being Wembanyama's team. He won't be Spurs' franchise player.

Atlanta would be more than pleased to rescind the trade. The Trae and Murray pairing hasn't really worked out. Giving back their 2025, 2027, and 2026 swap to Atlanta should be more than enough to get him back.

Saying all that, I think Murray is still angry/biter towards Spurs and is convinced they have treated him badly. He definitively shouldn't be back in these circumstances.

They can't get them all back since the Spurs will have to send out salary to match the $18 million Dejounte is being paid this year.

Mugen
12-26-2023, 03:25 PM
No thanks. We already have enough guys that don't like the attention Wemby is getting tbh :lol

John B
12-26-2023, 03:26 PM
Hard pass. I didn’t like when I saw his back against the wall, he would bite the hands that feed him. I apologize to the DJ fans, but he’s a thug hiding on sheep’s clothing and finally showed his true colors when he was out of Spurs organization. I didn’t like him talking back to Pop on the bench in front of the young guys, and god knows how that would show to the young team. Besides I think he gambles a lot for his steals stat, getting burn occasionally with his guy free lane and Poeltl’s guy open dunks. He pads stats to be relevant. Nope

Bruno
12-26-2023, 03:31 PM
They can't get them all back since the Spurs will have to send out salary to match the $18 million Dejounte is being paid this year.

Spurs would add players like Graham or McDermott to match salaries.

Murray for Graham, 2025 and 2027 Atl 1st, 2026 swap canceled works salary wise.

poopbox
12-26-2023, 03:36 PM
Hard pass. I didn’t like when I saw his back against the wall, he would bite the hands that feed him. I apologize to the DJ fans, but he’s a thug hiding on sheep’s clothing and finally showed his true colors when he was out of Spurs organization. I didn’t like him talking back to Pop on the bench in front of the young guys, and god knows how that would show to the young team. Besides I think he gambles a lot for his steals stat, getting burn occasionally with his guy free lane and Poeltl’s guy open dunks. He pads stats to be relevant. Nope

Talk back to the worst coach in basketball? How dare he :cry

People in here talking about Dejounte attitude be he is the one who said the Spurs had problems "bigger than basketball" and we legit been the second worst team in the nba since then.:lol

bluebellmaniac
12-26-2023, 03:36 PM
That's a lot of salary to cover. Would want at least a 1st rounder and a swap on another 1st rounder to take him back. Could throw in a couple end of benchers to make room for him.

Obstructed_View
12-26-2023, 03:39 PM
The upside is the only way he would come back is over Pop's dead body. So count me as an enthusiastic yes.

Dex
12-26-2023, 03:45 PM
The upside is the only way he would come back is over Pop's dead body. So count me as an enthusiastic yes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/17/7f/0c/177f0c9c2a5895d181ef64b411755169.gif

Leetonidas
12-26-2023, 03:50 PM

Spurs giving them back what they coughed up for DJM would be an all time terrible trade. Murray is not worth anywhere near what ATL paid for him

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 03:52 PM
Spurs would add players like..... McDermott to match salaries.

Murray for [McDermott], 2025 and 2027 Atl 1st, 2026 swap canceled works salary wise.
Oh my this just keeps getting better and better.

Do it today!

Would ATL really fall for this?

onechance87
12-26-2023, 03:53 PM
im not sure...We already got guys who think they are the star of the team...Not sure adding another
will be a good idea

John B
12-26-2023, 03:53 PM
Fuck we already got multiple FRP’s for this diva, and people wants him back? Real smart. If it were Derrick, yes. What has DJ done since he left the Spurs? There are reasons why he’s in trade discussions

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 03:55 PM
Wait do we need to hang on to at least one of those #1 picks for the Boozer sweepstakes?

Spursfanfromafar
12-26-2023, 03:57 PM

I can see the Spurs trying to get back former players, but they aren't going to do so by rescinding their previous trades. Thats not how front offices generally work, either. I would have probably done something like this if the Spurs had a chance to get back Derrick White but that ship has sailed too. The Spurs have no choice but to build via the lottery and Free Agency.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 03:57 PM
im not sure...We already got guys who think they are the star of the team...Not sure adding another
will be a good idea
He's been deferring to punk ass Trae Young.
What makes you think he would not to Wama?

tbdog
12-26-2023, 03:59 PM
The rumour was the Spurs didn't like Murray. It wasn't just that we got a great offer for him.

TD 21
12-26-2023, 04:10 PM
Even if the Spurs were interested, it's highly unlikely they'd basically do the trade in reverse and from a Hawks perspective, how could they accept any less from the Spurs and save face?

Even if the Hawks were willing to accept something like Jones, Graham, the Craptors and Bulls 1sts for Murray and Mills, I still wouldn't do it.

Murray's lack of shooting (though improved, he's not a spacer), rim pressure and mediocre play making would be pointless to splurge on.

spurraider21
12-26-2023, 04:15 PM
Even if the Spurs were interested, it's highly unlikely they'd basically do the trade in reverse and from a Hawks perspective, how could they accept any less from the Spurs and save face?

Even if the Hawks were willing to accept something like Jones, Graham, the Craptors and Bulls 1sts for Murray and Mills, I still wouldn't do it.

Murray's lack of shooting (though improved, he's not a spacer), rim pressure and mediocre play making would be pointless to splurge on.
hawks could conceivably take back less since they basically paid for the right to rent him for a couple of seasons

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 04:18 PM
hawks could conceivably take back less since they basically paid for the right to rent him for a couple of seasons
Spurs will have competition no doubt.

Murray may be a punk ass but he's put in several solid seasons and is a good all around player O and D.
Certainly above average.

baseline bum
12-26-2023, 04:20 PM

Dude shoots 38.2% from the three on 6 attempts a game, which is pretty respectable. Definitely not very effective at the rim, especially considering he averages like 2.9 FTA a game. Would be an enormous upgrade over Sochan or Branham defensively. I wouldn't be eager to trade Jones though as having to run Branham or Sochan at point when Murray is on the bench would undo every bit of good having Murray back would generate.

onechance87
12-26-2023, 04:22 PM
He's been deferring to punk ass Trae Young.
What makes you think he would not to Wama?

well young is a allstar veteran....Wemby is a rookie who cant get respect from his teammates
and coaches

gambit1990
12-26-2023, 04:32 PM
no.

his ceiling is an unreliable #3 option. not what the spurs need right now.

he’s basically george hill 2.0.

gambit1990
12-26-2023, 04:33 PM
but i mean, if you could get him for a great price then sure …

i’d rather the spurs set their sights on a bigger target though.

mudd
12-26-2023, 04:33 PM
our rebounding stats would double and he can score..hell yes

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 04:34 PM
well young is a allstar veteran....Wemby is a rookie who cant get respect from his teammates
and coaches
Hear you 100.
I'd include Pop in the deal.
Celtics traded Doc Rivers for a 1st round pick!
"The Clippers acquired Rivers from the Celtics for an unprotected 2015 NBA first-round draft pick (https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=380d4c6a0962c68dJmltdHM9MTcwMzU0ODgwMCZpZ3VpZD0y NDNhOTU5Yy1iZjkxLTYyNjEtMWQ4OS04NjZlYmU3ZjYzZTImaW 5zaWQ9NjAzMA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=243a959c-bf91-6261-1d89-866ebe7f63e2&psq=doc+rivers+traded+to+clippers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvRG9jX1 JpdmVycw&ntb=1)2 (https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4ecacc48f8a388c9JmltdHM9MTcwMzU0ODgwMCZpZ3VpZD0y NDNhOTU5Yy1iZjkxLTYyNjEtMWQ4OS04NjZlYmU3ZjYzZTImaW 5zaWQ9NjAzMQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=243a959c-bf91-6261-1d89-866ebe7f63e2&psq=doc+rivers+traded+to+clippers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvRG9jX1 JpdmVycw&ntb=1)."

Pop, McDermott and give back ATL 1 of the picks they gave us.

weebo
12-26-2023, 04:37 PM
Ya just what the Spurs need ...a cancer on the team

TD 21
12-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Dude shoots 38.2% from the three on 6 attempts a game, which is pretty respectable. Definitely not very effective at the rim, especially considering he averages like 2.9 FTA a game. Would be an enormous upgrade over Sochan or Branham defensively. I wouldn't be eager to trade Jones though as having to run Branham or Sochan at point when Murray is on the bench would undo every bit of good having Murray back would generate.

Still a relatively small sample size and I'm skeptical he can maintain.

Jones makes sense as a minor trade asset for teams where the Spurs would upgrade at PG, but the opposing team is trying to win now.

Plus, his lack of size and shooting will always be issues on a team that can't afford more of those.

Clear him out and in this scenario, they'd have Wesley (makes sense to give him a look before the draft likely buries him for good)/Mills to eat up about 15 mpg behind Murray or if they're that opposed to them, continue to shoehorn Branham into it.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 04:39 PM
no.

his ceiling is an unreliable #3 option. not what the spurs need right now.

he’s basically george hill 2.0.
Psssh DJ damn near averaged a triple double his last year with the Sporks.
21 / 9 /8

This season he's a career best 38% on treys with the Hawks.
Plays D too.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 04:40 PM
Ya just what the Spurs need ...a cancer on the team
Pop is tradeable tho.

weebo
12-26-2023, 04:42 PM
Pop is tradeable tho.

Thread is about Murray not Popovich. Try to stay on topic.

gambit1990
12-26-2023, 04:42 PM
pacers have come back down to earth. whoever they want minus wemby + 3 or 4 picks for bruce brown, buddy hield, myles turner.

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 04:44 PM
Hear you 100.
I'd include Pop in the deal.
Celtics traded Doc Rivers for a 1st round pick!
"The Clippers acquired Rivers from the Celtics for an unprotected 2015 NBA first-round draft pick (https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=380d4c6a0962c68dJmltdHM9MTcwMzU0ODgwMCZpZ3VpZD0y NDNhOTU5Yy1iZjkxLTYyNjEtMWQ4OS04NjZlYmU3ZjYzZTImaW 5zaWQ9NjAzMA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=243a959c-bf91-6261-1d89-866ebe7f63e2&psq=doc+rivers+traded+to+clippers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvRG9jX1 JpdmVycw&ntb=1)2 (https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4ecacc48f8a388c9JmltdHM9MTcwMzU0ODgwMCZpZ3VpZD0y NDNhOTU5Yy1iZjkxLTYyNjEtMWQ4OS04NjZlYmU3ZjYzZTImaW 5zaWQ9NjAzMQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=243a959c-bf91-6261-1d89-866ebe7f63e2&psq=doc+rivers+traded+to+clippers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvRG9jX1 JpdmVycw&ntb=1)."

Pop, McDermott and give back ATL 1 of the picks they gave us.

Thread is about Murray not Popovich. Try to stay on topic.
Very on topic.
Try to keep up.
Would you consider joining Pop in ATL?

weebo
12-26-2023, 04:47 PM
Very on topic.
Try to keep up.
Would you consider joining Pop in ATL?

Thread is about Murray coming back to the Spurs. Start your thread about Rivers or post under one of the 100 fire pop threads. Try to keep up baby girl.

offset formation
12-26-2023, 04:54 PM

Those ATL picks are the best thing going for this franchise. He'll no.

r0drig0lac
12-26-2023, 04:56 PM
the leader

exstatic
12-26-2023, 04:59 PM
So, if they trade him, they’re basically the team that made the ECFs, minus 20/10 Collins and a few other pieces? Where do I sign? That team caught more than a few breaks, and punched way above its weight.

itzsoweezee
12-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Nope. DJM is not the type of vet mentor I’d be hoping for. More like Lowry or someone like him

playbonner15
12-26-2023, 05:08 PM
but i mean, if you could get him for a great price then sure …

i’d rather the spurs set their sights on a bigger target though.

Bigger target for sure. But Spurs are not competing this season (or the next). So I dont think FO will go for trades this season unless it's for picks

DesignatedT
12-26-2023, 05:31 PM
Pass. Don't need another guard with an unreliable jumper.

KimmyGib
12-26-2023, 05:42 PM
His defense has fallen off a cliff since his days in SA. So much so, that Young is now taking the more difficult defensive assignments of the two... it's that bad. And if DJM were actually Derozan 2.0 as you say, he would be very useful. Unfortunately that's not the case and he's an inferior player in most ways to prime Demar

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 05:51 PM
Thread is about Murray coming back to the Spurs. Start your thread about Rivers or post under one of the 100 fire pop threads. Try to keep up baby girl.
Aww are you wetting your pampers over the thought of Coach Pop leaving?

You'll 99% get your suck choice that he will continue to drag down.

We're talking trade scenarios. Lose the thought control wanna be police trip.

spurraider21
12-26-2023, 05:54 PM
im still a fan of DJ the player tbh. would love him back

TimmyBuckets
12-26-2023, 05:54 PM
No. Hell no.

Spurs Homer
12-26-2023, 06:01 PM
Fuck no.

Need a true point guard whose sole purpose in life is to set up his teammates and lead the league in assists every year he plays in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
12-26-2023, 06:05 PM
Demar Derozan taught this young team to pound the air out of the ball and not pass. Then Dejounte Murray took the torch and learned to farm assists like Russell Westbrook and Rajon Rondo. More me first guys! There's a Kobe jab in here somewhere but I hit the limit on tasteless jokes for 2023.

weebo
12-26-2023, 07:02 PM
Aww are you wetting your pampers over the thought of Coach Pop leaving?

You'll 99% get your suck choice that he will continue to drag down.

We're talking trade scenarios. Lose the thought control wanna be police trip.

You're the one that keeps crying about pop coaching the spurs. if pop decides to retire at the end of the year, so be it.
But you want him gone, and who do you want to replace him? Y'all keep wanting him fired and the best you can come up with is doc rivers :lol
Also, you get rid of pop you might as well get rid of everyone who ever had a hand in the spurs success...cuz they aint sticking around for doc rivers :lol

spursparker9
12-26-2023, 07:05 PM
Nah. The hawks gonna sucks and the draft picks will be damn valuable

Mal
12-26-2023, 07:13 PM
No, Atlanta's picks and swaps are gonna worth much more thant DJ would bring

Splits
12-26-2023, 07:24 PM
Bonner/Blair + 2rd pick for Murray.

Do it PATFO

spurraider21
12-26-2023, 07:30 PM
Bonner/Blair + 2rd pick for Murray.

Do it PATFO
throw in Neal as well

Splits
12-26-2023, 07:32 PM
throw in Neal as well

Neal raped. Period.

- Dale

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 07:39 PM
You're the one that keeps crying about pop coaching the spurs. if pop decides to retire at the end of the year, so be it.
But you want him gone, and who do you want to replace him? Y'all keep wanting him fired and the best you can come up with is doc rivers :lol
Also, you get rid of pop you might as well get rid of everyone who ever had a hand in the spurs success...cuz they aint sticking around for doc rivers :lol
Reading comprehension please.
A lame Strawman by you but this is ST.

The link to Doc Rivers was showing that the Celtics received an UNCONDITIONAL 1st round pick for trading him.

We could do the same with Popped.
And maybe gain two unconditional 1st round picks. or 3, or 4, or 5. You know, because Pop is sooo great and surely the Hawks and any other NBA team would offer up tons to get him, right?
You would lose your shit and be lost.

It's not going to happen.
But it is technically an option. A great one at that.

weebo
12-26-2023, 07:46 PM
Reading comprehension please.
A lame Strawman by you but this is ST.

The link to Doc Rivers was showing that the Celtics received an UNCONDITIONAL 1st round pick for trading him.

We could do the same with Popped.
And maybe gain two unconditional 1st round picks. or 3, or 4, or 5. You know, because Pop is sooo great and surely the Hawks and any other NBA team would offer up tons to get him, right?
You would lose your shit and be lost.

It's not going to happen.
But it is technically an option. A great one at that.

It not that reading comprehension is the problem...it's me scrolling past your shit post. You quoted me after I mentioned DJ as a cancer and not worth bringing back...you had to comment about trading pop...something that you say is not going to happen...so, ya shit post...stick to the OP please and stop brining up the same garbage in every thread...it gets old...thanks

MultiTroll
12-26-2023, 08:14 PM
Pampers change please. ^^

Chinook
12-26-2023, 08:30 PM
I totally get not loving Murray's attitude and wanting to avoid bringing back a malcontent. But I think it's absurd how many people are arguing that the Spurs shouldn't do this because Murray might not defer to Victor. The Spurs absolutely need to bring in a perimeter star, and that star shouldn't defer to Wemby either. The Spurs aren't going to be a good team while being the Victor show right now. Dude is extremely raw and needs to focus on developing a sustainable NBA game. It would help him so much to actually have a perimeter star who can take over the number 1 role for a couple of years. Ideally that player is a great creator who can get the other players shots while also being able to get their own consistently. You want Wemby to get lobs? Then actually get a guy who will draw the defense to him so Victor would get open for easy looks.

So yeah, there are definitely players who wouldn't make sense to pursue. Anyone who would be jealous and shitty (and I mean actually, proveably so, not the fanfics that player-fans talk about here) would be a touch sell. Chuckers wouldn't be ideal, though some players with that reputation wouldn't be bad. Murray might be out based on that criteria. I don't like his reliance on midrange attempts. The price in terms of salary is right, and on paper he can do a lot of things a third option on a title team needs to do. I wouldn't be against the trade if he is willing to be part of the Spurs. He'd only be the next step toward building their core. They'd still need that ace offensive player -- the one who could actually take over the team while Wemby develops. But if they could get a fringe All-Star locked up for like 60 percent of what some teams are paying for their third options, it could crack their window open eariler than it would if they were trying to follow the Jokic model (which they could later follow anyway).

gambit1990
12-26-2023, 09:33 PM
not seeing a scenario where he want to be back tbh.

especially if it's la vs sa.

scott
12-26-2023, 09:49 PM
In a heartbeat for the right price. I'd offer:

CHA Pick
2027 Spurs FRP (Unprotected)
2029 Spurs FRP (Unprotected)
Sochan
Branham

Giving up Sochan and Bran is probably unnecessarily, since this is basically the package ATL gave us, I just want to get rid of those two.

Basically, I'm betting that the Spurs will be deep playoff contenders by 2027/29

Tyronn Lue
12-26-2023, 09:51 PM
Of course, but that doesn't mean he won't expect to be the star and get all the touches so it doesn't rectify the fact that Victor won't be the focal point.

Tyronn Lue
12-26-2023, 09:52 PM
In a heartbeat for the right price. I'd offer:

CHA Pick
2027 Spurs FRP (Unprotected)
2029 Spurs FRP (Unprotected)
Sochan
Branham

Giving up Sochan and Bran is probably unnecessarily, since this is basically the package ATL gave us, I just want to get rid of those two.

Basically, I'm betting that the Spurs will be deep playoff contenders by 2027/29
Unnecessary sure but we might be able to talk them into it.

spurraider21
12-26-2023, 10:10 PM
where are people getting the notion that murray doesnt want to play alongside another star? he literally signed a bargain extension with the hawks where he's being forced off-ball quite a bit as a result of ATL being Trae's team

TimmyBuckets
12-26-2023, 10:31 PM
It was called a fleecing for a reason.

Das Texan
12-26-2023, 10:46 PM
God yes, I'll drive Sochan and Branham to the Greyhound terminal myself.

fuck that i'll even contribute toward them getting a PLANE ticket! Especially Branham.

offset formation
12-26-2023, 10:47 PM
No, Atlanta's picks and swaps are gonna worth much more thant DJ would bring

Not sure why this isn't a more widely held view on here. I'd love someone to educate me where we have the potential for higher draft picks, aside from our picks if we carry on the current trajectory, that is.

scott
12-26-2023, 11:01 PM
Not sure why this isn't a more widely held view on here. I'd love someone to educate me where we have the potential for higher draft picks, aside from our picks if we carry on the current trajectory, that is.

It's an opinion that I generally agree with, but it's not really a binary choice - I would guess most of us here (including me) in favor of moving to bring him back want to have our cake and eat it too, which means we aren't offering to give ATL all their stuff back. The 2025 ATL pick is especially off the table if they are losing DJM. Gimme that juicy lotto pick.

K...
12-26-2023, 11:01 PM
Considering that most people want the spurs to draft a PG with our high lottery pick,. Dealing for murray could allow two top 15 defensive wings.

As to rescinding the trade, no, but youd need to give at least one back, one fake.(protected), seconds from the stash, and salary.

This would be a way higher upside than a 19yr old PG learning NBA schemes.

Dverde
12-26-2023, 11:22 PM
Poor DJ…left thinking he was going to make the Hawks contenders. Signed a team friendly contract to show loyalty only to be put on the trading block a few months later. Hawks are doing him dirty imo.

baseline bum
12-26-2023, 11:30 PM

Though this is the team whose last four first round picks before Wemby were

Josh Primo
Jeremy Sochan
Malakai Branham
Blake Wesley

All completely useless

objective
12-26-2023, 11:51 PM
Setting aside his attitude issues, my problems are two:

1. He can't really throw lob passes. I wanted the Spurs to get him a lob target for years like a John Collins, but once he was with the Hawks he still couldn't throw lobs as well as he would need to with Wemby. I guess once that skill never develops by a certain age it's gone forever like with how Parker couldn't throw lobs worth a damn in all-star games.

2. He is a bad defender nowadays. Listen to any episode of Locked on Hawks where there's a season so far wrap up with a guest and there's always teeth grinding and heavy sighs over what a terrible defender he is and just how big a mistake the powers that be made in their evaluation of him.

Side note: ATL didn't miss on drafting Jalen Johnson. Passing on Sengun and Murphy is bad, but they could have had Johnson instead of old Cement Shoes Boner Shorts that they wasted a lotto pick on

BatManu20
12-27-2023, 12:06 AM
Spurs aren’t trading for DJ guys :lol. Especially after he trashed the organization on his way out. Dude will never be a Spur again tbh.

offset formation
12-27-2023, 12:40 AM
Though this is the team whose last four first round picks before Wemby were

Josh Primo
Jeremy Sochan
Malakai Branham
Blake Wesley

All completely useless

Good point, but It gets harder to fuck up a pick the higher up it is. I think Sochanstill has a shot at developing into a solid piece on a championship caliber team. Who knows what Primo can be if used properly and I was among his biggest detractors. I think Branham is next to useless defensively.

But again, a pick in the top 3 or 5 is much harder to blow than one at 16, 19, etc. And **that** is my point that THOSE ATLANTA picks are likely to be closer to that range than being just outside the lottery.

Tyronn Lue
12-27-2023, 12:47 AM
where are people getting the notion that murray doesnt want to play alongside another star? he literally signed a bargain extension with the hawks where he's being forced off-ball quite a bit as a result of ATL being Trae's team
There are 4 other guys on the floor with next to zero NBA skills and not much of an NBA future at present, who won't share the ball with Victor. It's not a stretch to think someone like Murray wouldn't want to just setup Victor to be a mega star while he himself remains relegated to a journeyman.

RC_Drunkford
12-27-2023, 05:25 AM
He‘s better than our entire roster minus Wemby. Of course I‘d want him back

RC_Drunkford
12-27-2023, 05:48 AM

The list of replacements is long. I‘d take Jim Boylen over Pop. Literally any coach who‘s smart enough to start a PG

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 06:53 AM
There are 4 other guys on the floor with next to zero NBA skills and not much of an NBA future at present, who won't share the ball with Victor. It's not a stretch to think someone like Murray wouldn't want to just setup Victor to be a mega star while he himself remains relegated to a journeyman.
“Just set up Victor”

we wouldn’t be bringing him here to be brevin knight

his scoring would be welcomed

Frenchfred
12-27-2023, 09:42 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand, Murray would do to the Spurs what he does to the Hawks, makes them better but not enough to be a contender. The Spurs would be out of the lottery, make the play-in and not the playoffs, so lower draft picks and the team would not improved. But he is relatively cheap for a 20-point player. On the other hand, Wemby is frustrated and I don't know how long he can deal with so many losses. Draft doesn't guarantee to have a top3 pick and the top3 doesn't guarantee to have an all-star and the Spurs still have picks from other teams.

exstatic
12-27-2023, 10:27 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand, Murray would do to the Spurs what he does to the Hawks, makes them better but not enough to be a contender. The Spurs would be out of the lottery, make the play-in and not the playoffs, so lower draft picks and the team would not improved. But he is relatively cheap for a 20-point player. On the other hand, Wemby is frustrated and I don't know how long he can deal with so many losses. Draft doesn't guarantee to have a top3 pick and the top3 doesn't guarantee to have an all-star and the Spurs still have picks from other teams.

He didn’t make the hawks better. They were an ECF team that slipped a little, they mortgaged the future to get him, and they’re now a lottery team.

Seventyniner
12-27-2023, 11:57 AM
He didn’t make the hawks better. They were an ECF team that slipped a little, they mortgaged the future to get him, and they’re now a lottery team.

That ECF appearance was a fluke. This happens every so often, when a team makes an unexpected run to the conference finals and starts getting the "wow they have a bright future" storylines only to heavily regress. The 2022 Mavs, 2021 Hawks, and 2019 Blazers are prime examples.

MultiTroll
12-27-2023, 02:39 PM

That ECF appearance was a fluke. This happens every so often, when a team makes an unexpected run to the conference finals and starts getting the "wow they have a bright future" storylines only to heavily regress. The 2022 Mavs, 2021 Hawks, and 2019 Blazers are prime examples.

Setting aside his attitude issues, my problems are two:

2. He is a bad defender nowadays. Listen to any episode of Locked on Hawks where there's a season so far wrap up with a guest and there's always teeth grinding and heavy sighs over what a terrible defender he is and just how big a mistake the powers that be made in their evaluation of him.
I'm not a DJ Sniffer, but is it possible the decline of the Hawks has far more to do with Trae Young being the centerpiece.

DJs defense falling off a cliff, that is weird.
Lack of effort? Injury he is coving up / nursing?

baseline bum
12-27-2023, 03:07 PM
Good point, but It gets harder to fuck up a pick the higher up it is. I think Sochanstill has a shot at developing into a solid piece on a championship caliber team. Who knows what Primo can be if used properly and I was among his biggest detractors. I think Branham is next to useless defensively.

But again, a pick in the top 3 or 5 is much harder to blow than one at 16, 19, etc. And **that** is my point that THOSE ATLANTA picks are likely to be closer to that range than being just outside the lottery.

Lotta Marvin Bagleys and Derrick Williams types getting picked high in the draft too though. Don't have too much faith in Brian Wright after going from RC making great picks like Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, and Keldon Johnson to Wright completely whiffing on the 21 and 22 drafts and then not getting the job done to trade for a PG in the 23 draft.

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 03:16 PM
Lotta Marvin Bagleys and Derrick Williams types getting picked high in the draft too though. Don't have too much faith in Brian Wright after going from RC making great picks like Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, and Keldon Johnson to Wright completely whiffing on the 21 and 22 drafts and then not getting the job done to trade for a PG in the 23 draft.
im not liking what ive seen, but its way too early to write off 2022 as a complete whiff. jalen johnson, taken in the 2021 draft, did absolutely nothing for 2 years and now suddenly in year 3 looks like a legit nba starter

the 3 guys we took in 2022 are all still 20 year olds

i have the least hope in branham though

Chinook
12-27-2023, 03:48 PM
I'm not a DJ Sniffer, but is it possible the decline of the Hawks has far more to do with Trae Young being the centerpiece.

DJs defense falling off a cliff, that is weird.
Lack of effort? Injury he is coving up / nursing?

Murray's defense was never that good. Dude stole Green's All-D selection that year. Even Anderson would've been more deserving. He's been living off that selection ever since.

exstatic
12-27-2023, 03:54 PM

It was a fluke, and I said that they had slipped, but they were still a playoff team. They currently aren’t. Dejounte did not improve them. Facts.

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 04:05 PM
It was a fluke, and I said that they had slipped, but they were still a playoff team. They currently aren’t. Dejounte did not improve them. Facts.
the ECF team also had a productive john collins who could play good D and was a capable shooter as well as an athletic scorer. his game died basically upon signing his new contract. his shooting has somewhat rebounded, but he's not the same scorer in utah without a good PG feeding him good looks the way Trae used to

SouthernFryd
12-27-2023, 04:36 PM
Someone mentioned trading Pop.

I like it. I think that would get the most for the least.

Mikeanaro
12-27-2023, 04:38 PM
Jamal Murray? Yes

exstatic
12-27-2023, 04:39 PM
the ECF team also had a productive john collins who could play good D and was a capable shooter as well as an athletic scorer. his game died basically upon signing his new contract. his shooting has somewhat rebounded, but he's not the same scorer in utah without a good PG feeding him good looks the way Trae used to

They were still a playoff team with a reduced John Collins, right up until he left. The point I was arguing was ‘did Dejounte improve the Hawks.’, and I still say no.

The Truth #6
12-27-2023, 04:43 PM
Yeah, Branham has little fire. Too passive but we'll see. If Wesley can stop getting his shot annihilated at the rim, I have some weak hope for him. He's aggressive. Plays defense. And can get into the paint (the location of his chronic trauma). His jumper is better than Tre's, which is a low bar but that's where we are. So... let's start Blake, I guess is my point. Keep trying players. It's his actual position. That's a positive.

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 05:05 PM
They were still a playoff team with a reduced John Collins, right up until he left. The point I was arguing was ‘did Dejounte improve the Hawks.’, and I still say no.
nah, but i also think the fit is dubious with Trae not really moving off-ball, and dejounte having to defend bigger guards than he's had to in the past

weebo
12-27-2023, 05:21 PM
The list of replacements is long. I‘d take Jim Boylen over Pop. Literally any coach who‘s smart enough to start a PG

Jim Boylen? :lol....Ok, name a few. I'm all ears.

Tyronn Lue
12-27-2023, 05:47 PM
“Just set up Victor”

we wouldn’t be bringing him here to be brevin knight

his scoring would be welcomed
Exactly. You want someone here who doesn't have their own idea of all star trajectory. There's only one basketball. I'd take him over anyone else on the team now, but I think some here want a "pass to Victor" guy, including me. I want to see what Victor can do, I know what Murray can do.

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 05:56 PM
Exactly. You want someone here who doesn't have their own idea of all star trajectory. There's only one basketball. I'd take him over anyone else on the team now, but I think some here want a "pass to Victor" guy, including me. I want to see what Victor can do, I know what Murray can do.
personally i'd like to have at least 1-2 all stars alongside victor

Tyronn Lue
12-27-2023, 06:00 PM
personally i'd like to have at least 1-2 all stars alongside victor
Without 2 I'd rather have none, so that Victor gets to develop. Having a Paul George type who enables the Spurs to miss the playoffs with a worse than 1st overall pick lottery chance is, to me, worse than having some role guys who are at the tail end of their careers and know how to move the ball, so that Victor can learn. That's assuming Paul George is all star caliber, but I'd certainly take a Greek Freak/Jokic combo.

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 06:09 PM
Without 2 I'd rather have none, so that Victor gets to develop. Having a Paul George type who enables the Spurs to miss the playoffs with a worse than 1st overall pick lottery chance is, to me, worse than having some role guys who are at the tail end of their careers and know how to move the ball, so that Victor can learn. That's assuming Paul George is all star caliber, but I'd certainly take a Greek Freak/Jokic combo.
playing on a garbage roster like we have now does little for development because it doesnt emulate the type of ball you will be playing on a winning team. you can only develop so much playing like this. its like being assigned to the gleague. you can dominate there as long as you want, but you arent learning winning NBA ball

exstatic
12-27-2023, 06:59 PM

The Jim Boylen who forgot to sub Kawhi back in for the rest of the game and who Manu had to walk around, and sub himself back into the game?:rollin

spurraider21
12-27-2023, 07:24 PM
Bud makes so much sense. has the corporate knowledge and all, but also has proven to be a good coach on multiple stops and clearly isnt washed or senile

Mugen
12-27-2023, 09:40 PM
The Jim Boylen who forgot to sub Kawhi back in for the rest of the game and who Manu had to walk around, and sub himself back into the game?:rollin

The same Jim Boylen that the old man literally begged to join his coaching staff :lmao

Jim Boylen would look like prime Phil Jackson compared to the greatest generation POS we have coaching the team now :lol

Tyronn Lue
12-27-2023, 11:16 PM
playing on a garbage roster like we have now does little for development because it doesnt emulate the type of ball you will be playing on a winning team. you can only develop so much playing like this. its like being assigned to the gleague. you can dominate there as long as you want, but you arent learning winning NBA ball
I doubt you're winning anything with this roster + one all star. For that reason I'd prefer no all stars to just one, because just one means that one took the bulk of the stats and made the all star team. With 2 making it, the team probably did pretty well considering. Of course, I am not referring to organically developed all stars, but free agents. Imagine James Harden in San Antonio.

tim_duncan_fan
12-27-2023, 11:24 PM
I'd rather not go backward just to win 30 games instead of 12. Just take the Ls until we draft a legit future all-star guard.

MarioSpeedwagon
12-28-2023, 01:16 AM
That's a lot of salary to cover. Would want at least a 1st rounder and a swap on another 1st rounder to take him back. Could throw in a couple end of benchers to make room for him.
Give me a fucking break, you think you are getting a Murray a first rounder and another swap? Like they have to pay teams to take him? And $18 million ain't shit in today's nba

MarioSpeedwagon
12-28-2023, 01:27 AM
I'd rather not go backward just to win 30 games instead of 12. Just take the Ls until we draft a legit future all-star guard.

This draft is atrocious

Portnoy1000
12-28-2023, 02:01 AM
I’d definitely take DJM back. You have PG with pick and roll skills ( midrange jumpshot, passer , defender ). He racked up assist playing with a limited Center like Poetl. Imagine the high % shots Wemby would get. Poetl had his pop a shot, but Wemby can hit the 3, hit the J and can dunk. DJM would have a field D. On the flip side Murray could pressure the Ball with Wemby being the back line defender.

As far as a trade, no way would I give back everything Atlanta gave up. But I’d definitely give up at least a 1st along with Keldon and maybe salary filler. I’d also hang onto some of those 1st round picks obtained via trades, not to draft but to package to get another wing star. Then we’d have Wemby, DJM and an all star wing. Amassing these picks is only valuable for trade purposes nothing else. I don’t trust the front office from a drafting standpoint as of late (minus Wemby obviously).

Some are enamoured with amassing picks and thinking about building around Wemby for a Decade, yet don’t think about the fact that Wemby can simply leave as a FA when his contract is up. It’s early but this losing business would sour me if I’m Wemby especially if there is seemingly no direction or plan. People forget Tim Duncan almost left in FA after winning multiple 50 game seasons and a championship. Imagine if TD left, we’d only have that 1 ring. You don’t screw around and experiment with a Phenom. Especially in todays league stars can leave in an instant. They need to let Wemby know they’re serious about improving.

R. DeMurre
12-28-2023, 10:51 AM
I don't want Dejounte back, but I do think he is misused in Atlanta-- and it shows the danger of building around an undersized defensive liability as your centerpiece. The Hawks got DJ hoping to shore up their defense, but moving him to SG immediately mitigates his size and length advantage as a PG. Instead of smothering opposing PGs with that height and length advantage, he's now guarding SGs, who are generally going to be similarly sized, and he's next to a 6'1" PG who every team wants to switch on.

Tyronn Lue
12-28-2023, 11:00 AM
I don't get why some are considering DJ's run in Atlanta to be a failed experiment. They've been making the playoffs YOY. DJ is along the same lines as White, as soon as he finds a decent team with a role that suits his contribution abilities, we'll hear his name more.

Chomag
12-28-2023, 11:31 AM
Some are enamoured with amassing picks and thinking about building around Wemby for a Decade, yet don’t think about the fact that Wemby can simply leave as a FA when his contract is up. It’s early but this losing business would sour me if I’m Wemby especially if there is seemingly no direction or plan. People forget Tim Duncan almost left in FA after winning multiple 50 game seasons and a championship. Imagine if TD left, we’d only have that 1 ring. You don’t screw around and experiment with a Phenom. Especially in todays league stars can leave in an instant. They need to let Wemby know they’re serious about improving.

I don't want DJ but this right here needs to be said a lot more. We have a generational talent and you don't look to build from the draft on players that may or may not be good in 3-4 more years. Spurs do need to be looking for established players that fit around Wemby, and even willing to trade pics to do so.

If we hadn't landed Wemby last year then yes continue to search the draft for that franchise player to build around. People forget that even LeBron left Cleveland the first time(the team he always wanted to play with growing up as a kid) for some of these reasons.

Wemby is our guy and this FO needs to be doing everything to show how committed that they are that he is our franchise. Wemby is the type of person that wants to compete and losing will wear on him and he will become disgruntled. It migh already have but he is well mannered and professional so he will not show it openly.

Obstructed_View
12-28-2023, 12:31 PM
A young player would benefit from an Xs and Os coach, or a motivator like Scott Drew.

Pop is neither. And now he doesn't even care enough to yell at guys for fucking up. I will root for whatever team Victor goes to because I don't want to be rooting for the Spurs when they move out of town.

Big Empty
12-28-2023, 12:34 PM
If he wanted back id do it. He’s 6’5 and can guard most 1-3’s. We traded him to get Wemby so mission accomplished. Quickly might be a better scorer though.

John B
12-28-2023, 12:57 PM
Stop by here today to say no. The guy’s a douchebag.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2023, 01:42 PM

Why on earth would we give them so much?

exstatic
12-28-2023, 01:45 PM
I don't get why some are considering DJ's run in Atlanta to be a failed experiment. They've been making the playoffs YOY. DJ is along the same lines as White, as soon as he finds a decent team with a role that suits his contribution abilities, we'll hear his name more.

They made the playoffs once, and didn’t advance past the first round, which is exactly where they were before dropping 3 FRPs and a swap to get him. I call that a failed experiment, and a very expensive one at that.

RC_Drunkford
12-28-2023, 01:49 PM

that Jim Boylen, who had to sub in the third stringers in crunch time when he was coaching the Bulls to make sure they lose the game instead of Pop who loses ever game by 20 with the starters

wildbill2u
12-28-2023, 01:57 PM
Absolutely, the cost is the question.
I assume they would ask for a few of their own picks back, but man if they're blowing up their team rn we should absolutely NOT trade their picks because they're about to be insanely valuable.

I think this might be a good argument for keeping those picks. I don't this you make a backward move on him.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2023, 01:58 PM
I'm not opposed to bringing him back at all, but the notion of giving up two first round picks plus young players and or a swap for him is fairly insane to me. At this point we're looking at 2-3 years before we contend at the earliest and I don't see how DJM is a good fit on that timeline. I'm not giving away that much draft capital for DJM.

The Truth #6
12-28-2023, 02:09 PM
DJM was super emo yet basically a good player for us. It felt like we avoided a dramatic crisis with him but he may be more mature now and maybe as fans we were expecting another Kawhi problem. Generally, I say let him stay there in case he is part of their problem. If they are trying to trade him, it sort of suggests he is part of the problem for whatever reason, and since we want them to be crappy in a few years, I hope this lingers.

objective
12-28-2023, 02:20 PM
Besides all the other issues, dejounte proved you can't count on him in the playoffs when he got himself suspended for game 5 because he had to make contact with the ref

SpurSpike
12-28-2023, 03:29 PM
Kinda sad they are looking to trade him. Say what you want about DJ but I think he truly is a loyal dude. I'm sure he signed that extension and even took a small discount to stay in Atlanta only for them to try trading him months later. I'm sure he isn't happy about that.

slick'81
12-28-2023, 03:47 PM
Hes never stepping foot back in sa

spurraider21
12-28-2023, 03:55 PM
Kinda sad they are looking to trade him. Say what you want about DJ but I think he truly is a loyal dude. I'm sure he signed that extension and even took a small discount to stay in Atlanta only for them to try trading him months later. I'm sure he isn't happy about that.
yep, he signed the extension when he could have made much more as a free agent, and then immediately said it was about showing loyalty, etc

exstatic
12-28-2023, 04:10 PM

I don’t think their aim was to trade him when he signed the extension, but they’re struggling with no real reason, and they’ve only recently fired a coach, and I’m guessing they don’t want to be paying two ex coaches simultaneously, and something has to give.

Bruno
12-28-2023, 04:48 PM
Why on earth would we give them so much?

I think it is what it would take to get Murray back. Murray, with the team friendly extension he has signed, has a lot of trade value. Whoever wants him, will have to give quite a lot to get him.

I agree with you that Spurs shouldn't do a trade like that. I much rather see Spurs getting their PG through the draft or going after a player like Quickley, who is younger and will cost way less assets to get.

scott
12-28-2023, 07:03 PM
I will say, that if you got Murray back (or signed Quickly) while not sacrificing any 2024 or 2025 picks, then you'd go a long way in making progress to the rebuild. It's actually shocking how different it looks by adding a proven vet PG versus having to draft one.

You'd have an instant starting lineup of:

Murray (or Quickly)
Vassell
Johnson
Sochan
Wemby

With a top 5 pick this year to upgrade the 2, 3, or 4 and a potentially another top 10 pick for quality depth and/or competition at the 2, 3, 4. Then you'd still have somewhere between 2-4 FRPs next season to play with and make a move for another player. You could easily pull off something that looked like this:

Murray (Quickly)/Collier
Lavine/Vassell
Johnson/Cedi
Buzelis/Sochan
Wemby/Collins

Swap out Lavine with any proven vet you can acquire for some of our future draft capital + Branham, even up to a "mini blockbuster"

Alternative:

DJM/Dillingham
Vassell/Jacoby Walter
Mikal Bridges/Johnson
Sochan/Cedi
Wemby/Collins

There are endless possibilities of what you can do if PG is already taken care of that vastly accelerate the process versus relying on these rookies who we will have to wait years to develop. The two examples above easily put us in play-in contention or better with the potential for a big leap the year after (much like OKC took) with Wemby in year 3 and your two other top draft picks entering year 2.

spurraider21
12-28-2023, 07:07 PM

BackHome
12-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Not sure I am right but I believe the injury he has had no one in the NBA has ever came back successfully from - I am pretty sure his career is unfortunately over

John B
12-28-2023, 09:39 PM
I read somewhere that the Lakers had the best chance to get DJM. I don’t want DJM back to Spurs, but I’d hate Lakers get better defensively with DJM

exstatic
12-28-2023, 11:06 PM
I read somewhere that the Lakers had the best chance to get DJM. I don’t want DJM back to Spurs, but I’d hate Lakers get better defensively with DJM

How the F are they going to get him? They have exactly one tradeable FRP, 2029.

$pursDynasty
12-29-2023, 01:01 AM
I would definitely trade one of our half a dozen first round picks for a proven nba level defensive pg. Hoarding draft picks is like hoarding scratch off tickets. Is there a player in next year's draft definitely better than Murray? Especially at the much needed pg position? Let's get a half a season head start on the next step.

scott
12-29-2023, 02:35 AM
TOR pick and Bran for DJM straight up, who says no (besides Atlanta)?

gambit1990
12-29-2023, 02:58 AM
stop being shortsighted, this is embarrassing.

spurs' assets needs to go towards something bigger / more fruitful.

gambit1990
12-29-2023, 03:02 AM
(a healthy) lonzo on the spurs would be awesome.

but damn, "expected to start running again" sounds awful. especially for as long as he's been out.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2023, 06:02 AM
lol IGBALLER

spursparker9
12-29-2023, 06:37 AM
A healthy Lonzo was throwing good lobs to Zion previously.

Replace Zion with Wemby and the potential is unlimited.

exstatic
12-29-2023, 07:54 AM
I would definitely trade one of our half a dozen first round picks for a proven nba level defensive pg. Hoarding draft picks is like hoarding scratch off tickets. Is there a player in next year's draft definitely better than Murray? Especially at the much needed pg position? Let's get a half a season head start on the next step.

They won’t do it for one FRP. They literally can’t do the deal with us without getting back what they sent us: 3 FRPs and an unprotected swap. The owner would fire everyone for gifting us the other picks.

exstatic
12-29-2023, 07:55 AM
TOR pick and Bran for DJM straight up, who says no (besides Atlanta)?

They’re the only ones that have to.

Obstructed_View
12-29-2023, 08:02 AM
I don't know how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I sure hope this kid can recover and play again. Hopefully he plays in safer shoes for his feet, like Dutch wooden clogs or sandals made out of rags.

buttsR4rebounding
12-29-2023, 08:16 AM
They won’t do it for one FRP. They literally can’t do the deal with us without getting back what they sent us: 3 FRPs and an unprotected swap. The owner would fire everyone for gifting us the other picks.

If they would take the Charlotte pick, Bulls pick, our 2027 or 2028 pick with a swap of one of our picks after 2026 I would do that especially with his team friendly contract. There was a lot of talk when he was traded that he wouldn't sign for anything less than the max and that was the impetus for the trade. Problem solved. And Murray could be a valuable piece in a trade for a higher level star at some point. When they traded for Murray I am sure they thought their picks would be in the 20s somewhere so they are actually getting better perceived value back than they traded away.

spurraider21
12-29-2023, 11:14 AM
I don't know how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I sure hope this kid can recover and play again. Hopefully he plays in safer shoes for his feet, like Dutch wooden clogs or sandals made out of rags.
thread about some available pg

didn’t want to make a new one for longo

Maddog
12-29-2023, 12:26 PM
I would think the Hawks would want players more than picks.Trading him for Picks is really going to sink the season (not that it's already sunk) and you're committing to rebuild in a way around a player a lot of people have questions about being a cornerstone.
On the other hand- I'd be really happy to see them get picks and enter rebuild.....

I'm a fan of Dejounte, but he's a real tough one as far as value goes.

John B
12-29-2023, 12:34 PM
I didn’t like how DJ dissed on the the Spurs. And I don’t necessarily like his prima dona. If it were Derrick White, hell yeah. Derrick is the better and more natural PG of the two, and playing like an AS this season, helping the Celtics to the 1st seed in the East. But back to DJ. Yes he could be an improvement, especially defensively where the Spurs is hurting the most, especially if DJ would not gable much to get his steals. Ideally a lineup of DJ, Vassell, Risacher, Sochan, Wemby would be deadly. I’m sure the Spurs would start winning some games with better defense, but is that the goal this year? If DJ matured after his hiatus and come back as the prodigal son, and Spurs still manage to tank to get Risacher, then that would be ideal. If DJ plays a good soldier as a tank commander to get us top two picks, that would be ideal.

CorrectCrusader
12-30-2023, 01:00 AM
Saw this on the NBA subreddit from a hawks fan, made me laugh reading.

I’m tired, boss
edit: fuck this shit, I'm past being tired and now I'm fucking pissed. Time for a goddamn rant about the state of these god-forsaken hawks.

This goddamn franchise is a blight on my life, the city of Atlanta, and the world as a whole. There's a damn good reason that the YMCA is our jersey patch, Quin took the team on a field trip there so they could learn defense. If you had told me I would be an Atlanta fan when I was born at Northside I would've tried to crawl back in. This franchise has been the epitome of mid, and now we even fucking suck at that too. The players can't defend for shit, our front office is dealing with our nepo baby and the dumpster fire that is our asset management, and ownership clearly doesn't give a shit about this team since they've refused to go into the tax for any reason. Fucking fuck.
It was a mistake to go get Dejounte Murray. He's miscast as a SG next to Trae, and his defense is nowhere near what it was advertised to be in order to make up for it. The offense dies whenever he has to run it without Trae, and dammit is he miscast as a #2 option. I'd normally have more to say here, but much like Dejounte I'm giving up in the second half of this. Sorry in advance to any Spurs haters out there, we're probably going to end up giving them at least 2 lottery picks as a result of the trade.

Clint and OO, our "48 quality minutes of starting centers." What the fuck happened to them this season? I know that Quin didn't play as much drop as we did in the past to start the season, but how the fuck have they regressed this badly? How are the two of them getting bullied on the glass by pretty much every competent center we face? I know that they're not exactly surrounded by elite defenders right now but they haven't been in previous seasons and were better then. Is it because we shipped off JC for a happy meal?
Jalen you are precious and the only bright spot in this abyss of a franchise. God, if you're listening please don't take that away from me.

Hunter, I'm going to keep this as light as possible so that he doesn't get another injury. The fact that he is the best non-Jalen defender on this team is less of an endorsement of him and more of an embarrassment for all the other players. Despite being a #4 pick and continually flashing potential, he has never capitalized on it. He's made a fortune off of it (4/120, TITS amiright), but it has never materialized. If he had capitalized on the flashes he showed earlier on then this team would be so much better on both ends of the court. But dammit, he never has and any fan that still thinks he will is completely delusional.

Bey is a 3+D guy with a sputtering 3 and a D like Djibouti. If we really offered him 4/78 this past offseason we're dumb for doing that and he's dumb for not accepting it.
Bogi is a great 6th man, but despite what the hawks sub would say would be overtaxed as a starter. Defenses can too easily adjust whenever he's hot and disrupt him
Quin seems like he's bailing water from the Titanic with a spork. No matter what he does, nothing can overcome the roster construction issues with this team. I'm glad he signed a long contract, cause if he didn't I wouldn't be surprised if ownership ran him off for not winning.

And that gets me to ownership. Tony Ressler. When I heard that he was buying the Hawks, I was actually excited. "It can't be worse than Atlanta Spirit", I thought. And I was right in that regard. It hasn't been worse, but it hasn't been much better either. Inserting his son into the front office felt like he was letting him use the team like a real life 2K simulation. And it's just led to baffling choice after baffling choice. We lost in the playoffs in embarrassing fashion? Let's panic trade for a player that fits questionably with our franchise star! Our GM is against the trade? Let's force him to do it anyways and then strip him of power. Our roster is getting more expensive? Fuck going into the tax, let's keep our best players past trade value and then sell them off for pennies on the dollar! Like dammit, I'm still open to Fields as a GM but with how manipulative our ownership has been I have no faith that he'll be able to execute any vision for the team.

And then there's Trae. I still 100% believe that he is good enough to be the primary option on a championship team. That run to the ECF was real, and people forget how close we were playing the Bucks until Trae got injured. He's in contention for being the best player in the franchise, and if he stays here his full career he 100% will be. But he needs a specific roster around him to maximize his strengths. This roster is nowhere near that, and frankly I have no idea how we transform it into one that is.

We're going to need to rebuild, that much is for sure. Jalen and Trae are the only untouchables. Dejounte is a sunk cost at this point, but it's better to rip off that band-aid than to let it fester. Hunter is probably a net neutral and could get and asset back if we take a salary dump. Bogi is probably our best asset that I'm willing to move, but man is it going to be painful to pull the trigger on that. Some team is going to need a center (looking at you Dallas), so we can offload Clint for something. The biggest question is Trae. Given how the NBA works I'm not sure if Trae would want to stay around for a rebuild. I think we should 100% build around him if he wants to stay, but only he knows if he would or not. And if we do bottom out, we don't own our picks in 25-26, 26-27, and 27-28. We can try to rebuild without bottoming out, but that's really difficult to pull off without falling into complete mediocrity (moreso than we already have).
Fuck. Just..... fuck

The Truth #6
12-30-2023, 02:05 AM
Ehh, Murray is sort of a clown. I was too generous earlier. Derrick White is who I'd rather have back. Seemed like a solid trade at the time, but now I need to revisit the details. His defense would really be helpful now.

Dex
12-30-2023, 12:25 PM

I read that too, of course he wants to go play with his butt buddy LeBron and Rich Paul will do anything in his power to make it happen

Dex
12-30-2023, 12:27 PM
Ehh, Murray is sort of a clown. I was too generous earlier. Derrick White is who I'd rather have back. Seemed like a solid trade at the time, but now I need to revisit the details. His defense would really be helpful now.

White's stock has really risen with the Celtics, and for good reason.

I saw a thread where they did a re-draft of 2017 and a lot of people had him going in the 5-10 range. Crazy that the Spurs got him at 27

DAF86
12-30-2023, 12:38 PM
I don't want him back, he would help some but he isn't the type of player the Spurs trully need. A better offensive PG would be ideal.

scott
12-30-2023, 01:12 PM
Derrick really would have been the ideal PG for the early Wemby years. The trade didn't really pay off directly for us, but was necessary for the Wemby-tank. No regrets.

exstatic
12-30-2023, 02:47 PM
I read that too, of course he wants to go play with his butt buddy LeBron and Rich Paul will do anything in his power to make it happen

LA only has one tradeable FRP, 2029. LeBron can’t play forever, and when he retires, klutch loses a lot of clout.

scott
12-30-2023, 08:58 PM

In case you wondering whether or not DJM has matured.

FkLA
12-30-2023, 10:11 PM
Ain't no way anyone actually wants this emotional bitch back :lol

timtonymanu
12-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Overrated and he’s still easy to gameplan against. Derrick white was and has always been better than him. Only guys like me and FkLA saw that.

FkLA
12-30-2023, 11:30 PM
Overrated and he’s still easy to gameplan against. Derrick white was and has always been better than him. Only guys like me and FkLA saw that.

The White all-star talk I've been hearing brings a tear to my eye :cry

As much as I miss him I'm glad he's in a winning environment that gets him the love he always deserved. Truly the perfect complementary player, tbh.

ducks
12-31-2023, 12:08 AM
Don’t want him back unless it’s super cheap, however, now would be a wonderful time for Atlanta to implode.

I take him spurs ship them pop

ducks
12-31-2023, 12:09 AM
Ain't no way anyone actually wants this emotional bitch back :lol

Spurs have pop

Atl Spur
12-31-2023, 12:16 AM
We made the correct move.

Fireball
12-31-2023, 09:37 AM
For me White never was better than Murray. Why? Especially availability ... apart from one major injury Murray was more durable.
I am happy for White that he has gotten over his constant niggling injuries and plays at this level with the Celtics.

timtonymanu
12-31-2023, 08:25 PM
For me White never was better than Murray. Why? Especially availability ... apart from one major injury Murray was more durable.
I am happy for White that he has gotten over his constant niggling injuries and plays at this level with the Celtics.

White’s style of play translates to winning basketball. Remember we still made the playoffs with him Demar and Aldridge. Starting Murray brought us nothing but play in spots. The fact that Murray is still on the trading block and “Stephen Jackson”his way off another mediocre team tells you between the two who’s more valuable.

Gagnrath
01-01-2024, 01:24 AM
The same Jim Boylen that the old man literally begged to join his coaching staff :lmao

Jim Boylen would look like prime Phil Jackson compared to the greatest generation POS we have coaching the team now :lol

Pop is silent Generation Not greatest generation.... Wow it's pretty easy being ignorant as hell... You don't even know what you're missing.

Harry Callahan
01-01-2024, 05:50 PM
White was running around like he was on eggshells the last year or two of his SA tenure. Not his fault, but the NAGGING injuries never really subsided for White in the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

It's too bad for SA on that one. I think DW is pushing 30 YO now - maybe not the right timeline anymore.

John B
01-01-2024, 06:27 PM

In case you wondering whether or not DJM has matured.

B-but the Hawks don’t want him so he doesn’t want them back

timtonymanu
01-01-2024, 06:56 PM
Murray the emotional woman :lol

Sending quite the message there

Seventyniner
01-01-2024, 08:18 PM
Murray is under contract for the next 4 years after this one. What good is removing Hawks stuff from social media going to do?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-01-2024, 09:19 PM
I think Murray proved he doesn’t make a team better when he went to the Hawks. They had a decent roster when he got there and had competed well in the eastern conference playoffs the year before and then they floundered after he got to the team. He put up good numbers as he did here, but he is not a difference maker when it comes to winning. Statsheet Murray.

No gracias.

We made out well on that trade no reason to ruin it.

baseline bum
01-01-2024, 11:23 PM
I think Murray proved he doesn’t make a team better when he went to the Hawks. They had a decent roster when he got there and had competed well in the eastern conference playoffs the year before and then they floundered after he got to the team. He put up good numbers as he did here, but he is not a difference maker when it comes to winning. Statsheet Murray.

No gracias.

We made out well on that trade no reason to ruin it.

They didn't make the playoffs the year before Murray got there. Their ECF trip was two years before. They did drop from 43 wins to 41 wins the season Murray joined them though.

Bruno
01-02-2024, 08:38 AM
Murray is under contract for the next 4 years after this one. What good is removing Hawks stuff from social media going to do?

Murray can't be traded until January 9 because of the extension he signed. He might be convinced that Hawks have already a trade agreed in principle for him and are just waiting that he becomes trade eligible in a week.

It doesn't make removing Hawks stuff smart but it makes it understandable. He likely feels betrayed by them and thinks he will be gone in a week.

Dverde
01-02-2024, 10:46 AM
I don’t feel players are aware of how good it is to be on the Spurs where they go out of there way not to do trades. DJ probably thought the trade talk was all garbage then the Hawks told him it wasn’t…Loyalty broken in his eyes, which causes him to lash out by taking out all his Hawks stuff on social media. Luckily for him Toronto is not the destination. Hawks are a mess with him or without him.

buttsR4rebounding
01-02-2024, 11:42 AM
It's been reported that the Knicks are really interested in him, but after the OG trade it seems like any trade for Murray would have to be draft pick heavy which would be great for the Spurs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-02-2024, 06:48 PM
They didn't make the playoffs the year before Murray got there. Their ECF trip was two years before. They did drop from 43 wins to 41 wins the season Murray joined them though.

Oops...my bad. But similar point. He didn't move the needle in a positive way.

Granted, he'd likely help here...anything vaguely resembling a point guard would greatly help this mess of a Spurs team. If Atlanta is seeking anything substantial for him though, like handing back those picks, I'd rather the Spurs keep those and look for other options. I don't see Murray as the point guard of future for this team.

exstatic
01-02-2024, 10:06 PM
It's been reported that the Knicks are really interested in him, but after the OG trade it seems like any trade for Murray would have to be draft pick heavy which would be great for the Spurs.

The Knicks still have two of the picks from OKC’s disastrous Ouseman Dieng trade. One is a Detroit pick and another is a Wizards pick. Both of them have decreasing protections over a period of time, Detroit’s eventually drops to 1-8, and the Wiz pick eventually drops to 1-9.

TheGreatYacht
01-02-2024, 10:30 PM
I would drive Devin Vassell to the airport if it meant getting my Point Gawd back. Bring DJ home. Dude made Jakob Poodle look like a threat in a P&R