PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Spurs @ Cavs 1/7 12 PM CST

Pages : 1 [2]

scott
01-07-2024, 03:33 PM
On the positive side, it is easy to close your eyes and envision this Wemby-led team being good once the scrubs are replaced with competent players.

baseline bum
Spurs would have won this game if Branham was still in street clothes. As bad as Suckhan is I couldn't wait for him to check in to get Branham the fuck off the floor every time he was in.

Barfunk
Well, at least it looked like Pop was actually trying to win there at the end...

SPURt
Spurs only use Wemby appropriately when they get desperate. Tre looks great as a starter. I liked the lineup to start the game, but the depth just isn’t there. The limiting Wemby minutes sucks. Vassell disappeared in the second half. This team is not that far away from being competitive oddly. They’re getting better but that end of third, start of the fourth was too much to overcome

thiste
01-07-2024, 03:34 PM
It's always arguable but Victor made the logical decision to trade a good shot for a better one. Sochan should've dunked the ball.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-07-2024, 03:34 PM
Why in the fuck is Victor passing the damn ball to scrub ass Sochan

yup

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 03:35 PM
This minute restriction is giving me aids

Kawhi Duncan
01-07-2024, 03:35 PM
If Pop stops treating Wemby like a sick baby and actually play him and run the offense through him, we may actually start to win

Pauleta14
01-07-2024, 03:36 PM
Wemby in 24 minutes...

24 pts 10 rbds 5 blks 3 ast +17

WOW

Spurs Brazil
The 2022 draft: Sochan and Branham:lol

RC_Drunkford
It's always arguable but Victor made the logical decision to trade a good shot for a better one. Sochan should've dunked the ball.

in theory, but everybody knows Sochan doesn't dunk, can't make a lay up, can't shoot from midrange and can't make smart passes, so it wasn't the right play

Chinook
Well, at least it look like Pop was actually trying to win there at the end...

Nah. He didn't call a timeout either. Didn't seem interested in trying to get one. Multiple games now where Pop has let time expire while sitting on timeouts.

james evans
On the positive side, it is easy to close your eyes and envision this Wemby-led team being good once the scrubs are replaced with competent players.
but they're not going to replace them with good players. The only thing that has been worse than our players the past 4 years are the decisions by the front office and coaching.

Allan Rowe vs Wade

i think allen would have snuffed sochan out

Kurgan
There's nothing about Sohan that shows he had any potential to be an NBA player

Fix'd

Splits
fucking Sochan. what a pos

NASpurs
01-07-2024, 03:37 PM
I missed the last quarter but seeing this shit on the play by play is hilarious

10.1 Jeremy Sochan out of bounds bad pass turnover 115 117
10.1 Cavaliers Full timeout 115 117
10.1 Sam Merrill enters the game for Isaac Okoro 115 117
8.1 Keldon Johnson personal foul 115 117
2.1 Victor Wembanyama blocks Caris LeVert's layup 115 117
0.1 Tre Jones defensive rebound 115 117
0.0 Jeremy Sochan misses 30-foot three point shot 115 117

Mal
Sochan on any other team and he's out of the league in 2 years

He will be eating NBA minutes for many years. He will be assets on more talented team. This Spurs team sucks, and guys like Keldon and Sochan are expected to make plays, where they cannot. You need Wemby, Vassel and two more playmakers to move Sochan and Keldon to lesser roles to make them effective

CorrectCrusader
Well, at least it looked like Pop was actually trying to win there at the end...

Sochan was in the game so nope.

eric365
2 games in a row with shot to tie or win it at the end. Tre in the lineup really helped

I was so tired of 30 points loss with garbage time in the 4th quarter

Chinook
01-07-2024, 03:38 PM
Spurs only use Wemby appropriately when they get desperate. Tre looks great as a starter. I liked the lineup to start the game, but the depth just isn’t there. The limiting Wemby minutes sucks. Vassell disappeared in the second half. This team is not that far away from being competitive oddly. They’re getting better but that end of third, start of the fourth was too much to overcome

Depth would look a lot better with Graham instead of Branham or Wesley.

Kurgan
01-07-2024, 03:39 PM
Nah. He didn't call a timeout either. Didn't seem interested in trying to get one. Multiple games now where Pop has let time expire while sitting on timeouts.

Post-game they just asked Pop why he didn't use the timeout. Pop replied "Just because you have a timeout doesn't mean you gotta use it"

Worst coach in the NBA. Guy needs to be put out to pasture

james evans
I missed the last quarter but seeing this shit on the play by play is hilarious

10.1 Jeremy Sochan out of bounds bad pass turnover 115 117
10.1 Cavaliers Full timeout 115 117
10.1 Sam Merrill enters the game for Isaac Okoro 115 117
8.1 Keldon Johnson personal foul 115 117
2.1 Victor Wembanyama blocks Caris LeVert's layup 115 117
0.1 Tre Jones defensive rebound 115 117
0.0 Jeremy Sochan misses 30-foot three point shot 115 117

that wasn't a 30 foot shot, that was a half court 3 pointer. We had no time outs left and he had no other choice. I can't blame him for that one. But that turnover is all his fault.

ginobilized
Wemby in 24 minutes...

24 pts 10 rbds 5 blks 3 ast +17

WOW

Yeah, right!!!

The Cavs announcers take was that Allen completely schooled Wemby and they see some nice skills but nothing dominant in Wemby. +17 vs -10 Wemby/Allen, btw

james evans
01-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Post-game they just asked Pop why he didn't use the timeout. Pop replied "Just because you have a timeout doesn't mean you gotta use it"

hold up, we had a timeout left???

thiste
01-07-2024, 03:40 PM
i think allen would have snuffed sochan out

Then Sochan would've had 2 free throws or even the and 1 to win the game.

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 03:41 PM
Graham should be there instead of Branham as the backup 2

yeah his defense is poor but branham is legendarily poor so nothing lost. But he can shoot and pass with conviction. And his handling can help lift pressure off Wesley if he’s having issues. Wesley is worth having out there for his defense

Pauleta14
01-07-2024, 03:42 PM
in theory, but everybody knows Sochan doesn't dunk, can't make a lay up, can't shoot from midrange and can't make smart passes, so it wasn't the right play

If there’s one lesson Wemby should take from those last 2 games it that one.

He needs to learn to be selfish

in France he’s been told to share his whole childhood. He needs to develop his killer instinct

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 03:43 PM

So he thought a half court running heave in a 2 point game was better than some inbounds play with 2-3 seconds on the clock?

Jeebus crust

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 03:43 PM
If there’s one lesson Wemby should take from those last 2 games it that one.

He needs to learn to be selfish

in France he’s been told to share his whole childhood. He needs to develop his killer instinct
The most important lesson he can learn is to be more like Deron Williams

boutons_deux
01-07-2024, 03:44 PM
VW plays only half the game

Two other players play 3/4 of the game

The other night the Greek freak played 39 minutes

Mal
01-07-2024, 03:44 PM
hold up, we had a timeout left???

There was no timeouts when Sochan made that shot

Pauleta14
01-07-2024, 03:46 PM
Yeah, right!!!

The Cavs announcers take was that Allen completely schooled Wemby and they see some nice skills but nothing dominant in Wemby. +17 vs -10 Wemby/Allen, btw

They waited for the right time to say that tbh and he actually was « schooling » him on a cple actions when Wemby came bck cold. He indeed was lackadaisical for 2-3 plays in a raw.

Chinook
There was no timeouts when Sochan made that shot

Because he didn't make that shot. There was a timeout left when he attempted it. The first challenge didn't use a timeout since it was successful. My guess is Pop forgot that.

rascal

He would have missed the free throws.

Kurgan
The 2022 draft: Sochan and Branham:lol

The 2021 draft: Primo

Our front office is bad...really, really bad. It's almost as if you shouldn't hire personnel from the Detroit Pistons. Which is why I'm surprised at people being so optimistic about all of our upcoming 1sts when they're just gonna waste them on garbage players.

EasyMoney
01-07-2024, 03:47 PM
So he thought a half court running heave in a 2 point game was better than some inbounds play with 2-3 seconds on the clock?

Jeebus crust

Jeremy didn't get the ball until there was left than 2 seconds left. By the time he called a timeout. Then likely the clock stops with only a second left. Chalk this one up to inexperience

kace
01-07-2024, 03:49 PM
what ? we had a time out left on the last play ?

TD 21
01-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Sochan and Branham are unbearable. They have no role, screw up every lineup and on top of it all, don't even have "dog" in them to attempt to make up for their ineptitude.

I'm surprised he even answered instead of his usual attempt to shoot the messenger by intimidating/bullying/embarrassing the media member who dared attempt to do their job by questioning his genius . . . I've never understood why they take his crap.

Chinook
01-07-2024, 03:50 PM
Jeremy didn't get the ball until there was left than 2 seconds left. By the time he called a timeout. Then likely the clock stops with only a second left. Chalk this one up to inexperience

If Sochan immediately called a timeout, the ball would've been advanced to the front court, and with Wemby you have a great option or decoy for a quick play.

I don't blame Sochan in particular for not calling it. I do blame Pop for not even trying to call one.

thiste
01-07-2024, 03:51 PM
He would have missed the free throws.

Still better than what ultimately happened, at least we would have given ourselves a chance.

Mal
01-07-2024, 03:52 PM
Because he didn't make that shot. There was a timeout left when he attempted it. The first challenge didn't use a timeout since it was successful. My guess is Pop forgot that.

Attempted* whatever, but this major fuck up by coaching stuff if they forgot to said to players they have it. Guess we will never know

Kurgan
01-07-2024, 03:57 PM
Sochan and Branham are unbearable. They have no role, screw up every lineup and on top of it all, don't even have "dog" in them to attempt to make up for their ineptitude.

I'm surprised he even answered instead of his usual attempt to shoot the messenger by intimidating/bullying/embarrassing the media member who dared attempt to do their job by questioning his genius . . . I've never understood why they take his crap.

He only answered two questions and got up and left. The other question was something like "Do you think Victor is frustrated with his minute restrictions?" And Pop just said "Yes, and I can understand why"

Rocalcio
01-07-2024, 03:58 PM
For those asking about Wemby, he has looked like ass tonight on offense and battled foul trouble. He wouldn’t have stopped what’s happening now

He almost did

DAF86
01-07-2024, 03:58 PM

Pop might seriously have gone senile.

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 04:01 PM
I don’t think he can wipe his own ass

Spurminator
01-07-2024, 04:02 PM
This was a winnable game if we didn't have so many lousy players.

Russo21
01-07-2024, 04:11 PM
Most highly paid coach in the league and doesn't use a time out when needed to instruct his young team what to do. He is the most overrated coach of all time. To top it off he is an arrogant piece of trash, yes you senile old fool, if you have a timeout at the end of a close game you should use it and if you're so legendary you could coach this young team what the hell to do in that situation. Seems these days like he's being paid not to coach. So overrated and overpaid. If you're not using time-outs when needed to instruct the youngsters then what the hell are you getting paid to do?

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2024, 04:16 PM

has been for about 5 years, but I guess some people are slow to recognize it

paperboy77
01-07-2024, 04:19 PM
Why the hell did Jeremy pass to Kelden instead of shoot!!!!!? That was the fucked-up rewiring job by Pop. That was PG Jeremy right there!

Also.. the rotations were shit today. Was Vessell on minutes restrictions or what?

SpurSpike
01-07-2024, 04:44 PM
Pop has become the king of England. No longer the authority, more like a symbolic figure of championships past. He is doing the same thing now he did when Duncan helped coach and that is have the coaching staff coach by committee instead of taking the reigns. He is borderline equal to the spurs mascot at this stage in his career except the coyote probably in impacts the game more lol.

r0drig0lac
01-07-2024, 04:49 PM
https://twitter.com/norip_p_/status/1744094576485519422

AusSpur
01-07-2024, 05:00 PM
At least Pop remembered about challenges this game, he just forgot about his timeout at the end. You can't have everything from the highest paid coach in the league.

Good news is team generally looking steadier now we have a point guard in the starting line-up (who would have thought, not, Pop) and we have Detroit coming up!

NASpurs
01-07-2024, 05:01 PM

Wemby about to go Deron Williams soon.

Barfunk
01-07-2024, 05:05 PM

Was just looking at his body language when he was looking to the bench on whether or not to challenge but yeah good point.

Arcadian
01-07-2024, 05:06 PM
Just another 5 blocks day at the office for Victor.

DPOY + ROY?

Even if he's just the Blocks champion + ROY, that would be awesome.

CorrectCrusader
01-07-2024, 05:58 PM
that wasn't a 30 foot shot, that was a half court 3 pointer. We had no time outs left and he had no other choice. I can't blame him for that one. But that turnover is all his fault.

We did have a timeout.

CGD
01-07-2024, 06:05 PM
Wemby about to go Deron Williams soon.

Nah, he’s mad at himself for passing up the bunny for the tie. It was a low bbiq move to dump it off to Sochan there, and he knows it.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-07-2024, 06:10 PM

No I mean I think Allen would have blocked the attempt without fouling

Pauleta14
01-07-2024, 06:10 PM
Just another 5 blocks day at the office for Victor.

DPOY + ROY?

Even if he's just the Blocks champion + ROY, that would be awesome.

He is DPOY and ROTY without a question to me.

Old "tradition" of giving it to strong defensive TEAM will prevent the DPOY

New "tradition" of giving it to the best team will/might prevent him to get the ROTY

FU Pop

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-07-2024, 06:14 PM
Weird the cavs announcers were saying spurs lost their last timeout bc even though they won the challenge they didn't get posession. I was confused but don't understand instant replay rules or why it exists tbh

AusSpur
01-07-2024, 06:18 PM
Nah, he’s mad at himself for passing up the bunny for the tie. It was a low bbiq move to dump it off to Sochan there, and he knows it.

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1744107733266092340

Reading between the lines he saying, never passing that again!

CGD
01-07-2024, 06:30 PM
Why the hell did Jeremy pass to Kelden instead of shoot!!!!!? That was the fucked-up rewiring job by Pop. That was PG Jeremy right there!

Also.. the rotations were shit today. Was Vessell on minutes restrictions or what?

That was not on Sochan, it was on Wemby. He has to know his personnel and keep the ball. Allen was not getting to a Wemby jumper or baby hook there. Also, he passed Sochan IN to the defense.

It’s ok: he’s twenty.

Seventyniner
01-07-2024, 06:33 PM
Watching this team makes me fucking angry because I know I could have this team at like 10 wins if I were the one picking the lineups.

Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs would rather have 5 wins right now than 10.

Examine their decisions through that lens and everything looks different.

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 06:36 PM

LOL what a shitty translation from google when you select translate on twitter

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 06:38 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs would rather have 5 wins right now than 10.

Examine their decisions through that lens and everything looks different.

It's an incredibly stupid decision if it's on purpose given how mid this draft looks

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 06:40 PM
At least Pop remembered about challenges this game, he just forgot about his timeout at the end. You can't have everything from the highest paid coach in the league.

Good news is team generally looking steadier now we have a point guard in the starting line-up (who would have thought, not, Pop) and we have Detroit coming up!

Sadly because Tre had to tip it to Sochan to keep from stepping out they wouldn't have been able to advance the ball on any timeout anyways I think.

Robz4000
01-07-2024, 06:41 PM
It's an incredibly stupid decision if it's on purpose given how mid this draft looks

Can always trade the pick tbh. That being said, I have zero trust in BWrong to make a trade not involving collecting more picks.

NASpurs
01-07-2024, 06:46 PM
Can always trade the pick tbh. That being said, I have zero trust in BWrong to make a trade not involving collecting more picks.

I guess my only hope is now that they have Victor, an actual guy they can build around, they now have more of a vision as to what they actually need instead of being completely rudderless like they've been the past few years and drafting players just to draft someone. I'm not holding my breath though. :lol

djohn2oo8
01-07-2024, 06:50 PM

New "tradition" of giving it to the best team will/might prevent him to get the ROTY

FU Pop
lol wow

Seventyniner
01-07-2024, 06:53 PM

A higher draft pick is better than a lower draft pick, and I think the idea that being really really bad instead of just kind of bad this year will have any effect on Wemby's attitude or career is overblown.

I can't look at the combination of the (non) moves the front office made this summer and the lineup decisions and come away with a credible argument that they're trying at all to win, let alone trying their best. Stupid or not, this season looks like another tank job.

NASpurs
01-07-2024, 06:53 PM

Even the fluffers at SAEN are saying that:

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/time-spurs-find-wembanyama-true-point-guard-18593192.php

"While they deserve all the credit in the world for bottoming out with perfect timing last season, this summer’s draft class is pegged by scouts as one of the least impressive in years, with no obvious top-three pick and no point guard sure to go in the top five or six.

In other words, this is not a great season to be historically bad. "

Tyronn Lue
01-07-2024, 06:57 PM

FU Pop
While you're probably more right than them, over in Lakerland they think Kobe is top 5 all time, so most others who aren't Spurs fan might not see it as cut and dry.

Tyronn Lue
01-07-2024, 06:58 PM
Even the fluffers at SAEN are saying that:

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/time-spurs-find-wembanyama-true-point-guard-18593192.php

"While they deserve all the credit in the world for bottoming out with perfect timing last season, this summer’s draft class is pegged by scouts as one of the least impressive in years, with no obvious top-three pick and no point guard sure to go in the top five or six.

In other words, this is not a great season to be historically bad. "
But it might be a great season to save payroll. It seems to me Pop gave up on winning games early on this season, and is now it full Mr Miyagi mode. He thinks he's teaching valuable life lessons to these players, I guess, because he sure as hell doesn't seem to give a fuck about winning.

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 06:59 PM
A higher draft pick is better than a lower draft pick, and I think the idea that being really really bad instead of just kind of bad this year will have any effect on Wemby's attitude or career is overblown.

I can't look at the combination of the (non) moves the front office made this summer and the lineup decisions and come away with a credible argument that they're trying at all to win, let alone trying their best. Stupid or not, this season looks like another tank job.

You can't see how much Wemby hates this team being worse than last year's 22 win team through no fault of his own?

z0sa
01-07-2024, 07:10 PM
Fun game! Sucks to lose. But at least it was fun to watch. I expected a lot of games of THIS caliber this season -- not the constant 3rd quarter meltdowns without any fightback, for instance. This kind of loss, one can deal with.

Anyway

SPURt
01-07-2024, 07:15 PM
Branham was awful this game. Cam Payne would’ve been better on this day :lol

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 07:17 PM

Jeebus crust

Probably didn't want to throw Sochan under the bus

baseline bum
01-07-2024, 07:18 PM
Branham was awful this game. Cam Payne would’ve been better on this day :lol

Alfredrick Hughes would have been better

SPURt
01-07-2024, 07:20 PM
He almost did
He def turned it on at the end. If he can do it every game, four quarters, he’s gonna carry a lot of scrubs

SPURt
01-07-2024, 07:20 PM
Alfredrick Hughes would have been better
Agreed :lol

SouthernFryd
01-07-2024, 07:50 PM
Champagnie and Sochan in the starting lineup...and Wemby only got 24 minutes.

You don't need to know anything else to know that was going to be a loss.

Start anyone else but Champagnie and give Wemby 30 minutes...this would have been a guaranteed win. It wouldn't have even come down to the last plays.

This ain't hard folks.

LakerHater
01-07-2024, 09:13 PM
UH-OH!!!

spursparker9
01-07-2024, 09:16 PM
UH-OH!!!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/wazvvYSGdvJhm/giphy.gif

Jordan Jackson
01-07-2024, 09:17 PM
This is barely an NBA team once Wemby sits. WTF has Brian Wright been doing the last 5 or so years. There really should be a little more young talent on this team.

Chinook
01-07-2024, 09:18 PM
Why do people think Wemby has to want to lose in order to not pull a Kawhi? People should want him to be mad at losing a close game even if he understands the bigger picture. That's just being competitive.

Spurs Homer
01-07-2024, 09:27 PM
Alfredrick Hughes at his current age- whether in a grave or not -would have been better

fify

paperboy77
01-07-2024, 09:37 PM
That was not on Sochan, it was on Wemby. He has to know his personnel and keep the ball. Allen was not getting to a Wemby jumper or baby hook there. Also, he passed Sochan IN to the defense.

It’s ok: he’s twenty.

I don't think I blamed anyone but Pop. Yes Wemby probably should have shot it but Jeremy did have an easier shot than Wemby.. of the two options. That JS passed it instead of going up was him thinking like a PG.... making the pass. Dude last year woulda looked forward to stuffing that ball.

spurraider21
01-07-2024, 09:59 PM
Probably didn't want to throw Sochan under the bus
He could have also fallen on the sword since the coach is allowed to call a timeout too

Tyronn Lue
01-07-2024, 10:06 PM
Victor should request a G league appointment since all those guys came to take his minutes. Maybe he could get some playing time in Austin.

Chomag
01-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Playing your young franchise player 24 minutes should be criminal. This isn't a 4 - 5 year project player to develop.

cutewizard
01-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Go Sppppppppppppppurs go

CGD
01-07-2024, 11:07 PM
I don't think I blamed anyone but Pop. Yes Wemby probably should have shot it but Jeremy did have an easier shot than Wemby.. of the two options. That JS passed it instead of going up was him thinking like a PG.... making the pass. Dude last year woulda looked forward to stuffing that ball.

Not sure why everything needs to be Pops fault? Are you gonna give him credit for getting the team to the point where they could steal the game at all, or is it only the players’ actions when the outcome is good and the coach when it’s not good?

Pop can and should be questioned, fine. The gratuitous blame it on Pop thing is getting boring and lazy.

Barfunk
01-08-2024, 12:45 AM
One thing is for certain: Pop is set in his ways and won't be changing anytime soon, if ever. He's going to keep doing the opposite of what everyone wants him to do, even if it means having 4 straight terrible seasons and running Victor off. That's just who he is.

Barfunk
01-08-2024, 12:50 AM
I'm not saying that Victor won't be a Spur for a very long time, just that Pop is gonna keep doing what he does. Everyone wants him to play Victor? You can bet a few dollars that he'll keep playing him under 30 minutes and only playing him over 30 here and there. Hey, hopefully he proves us wrong!

Chinook
01-08-2024, 01:20 AM
One thing is for certain: Pop is set in his ways and won't be changing anytime soon, if ever. He's going to keep doing the opposite of what everyone wants him to do, even if it means having 4 straight terrible seasons and running Victor off. That's just who he is.

Pop's changed quite a bit over the course of this season. I get being frustrated with him for still not doing some obvious things. I definitely think he messed up not even trying to call timeout in this game and in others when there was still a chance at a comeback. But the team didn't start off playing Wemby 24 minutes a game. That may well be for a poor reason, or maybe if they hadn't started to do that Victor would miss more games. I don't remember if there was a timetable for when the restriction would lift. I can't imagine it's permanent. Even ignoring any long-term consequences of putting too much stress on Wemby's body, I'd much rather the team be overly cautious with his health in a season where they've already lost too many games than him have an injury-plagued year.

HankChinaski
01-08-2024, 01:46 AM
Pop's changed quite a bit over the course of this season. I get being frustrated with him for still not doing some obvious things. I definitely think he messed up not even trying to call timeout in this game and in others when there was still a chance at a comeback. But the team didn't start off playing Wemby 24 minutes a game. That may well be for a poor reason, or maybe if they hadn't started to do that Victor would miss more games. I don't remember if there was a timetable for when the restriction would lift. I can't imagine it's permanent. Even ignoring any long-term consequences of putting too much stress on Wemby's body, I'd much rather the team be overly cautious with his health in a season where they've already lost too many games than him have an injury-plagued year.

I pretty much agree with this. It sucks seeing Wemby get pulled out for minute restrictions. But there is no turning this season around into a winnable season. Why risk this generational players health for what could be only a handful wins with a season that has us 3 or 2nd worse in the entire league.

Tough to watch and I imagine tough to sit through as a young person.

This was a good game to watch though. Tre in the starting lineup and Wesley And Barlow getting some minutes really has changed the make up of the team throughout an entire game. Wesley and Barlow are not blowing up the sheet with stats but they are creating and making plays that really make this team look better.

Annoying it took Branham and Collins getting injured for them to get a look.

Barfunk
01-08-2024, 02:03 AM

On the flipside this is definitely reasonable. Though I do think Pop will overdo it, even probably taking it into next season as well, but it is good to be cautious.

venitian navigator
01-08-2024, 03:49 AM
Only way this season volud have been a winning one would gave been if the pg JS experiment was working 100 per cent... Once it's been clear that JS is just a decent point forward and not a natural point guard the only goal has clearly become only developing individual skills and experimenting even more for having a clear wiew about who keep next season plus a good chance on another top 5 draft pick (and maybe another lottery pick). So! Once the most part of us agreed to try the JS experiment (considering the worst outcome would have been developing a bit JS playmaking skills) I don't understand too much criticizing Pop's lack of commitment about winning at all costs... I know it's difficult to accept losing games but it's the only way to be in a position to improve the team by drafting good talents... And Imho the best path for doing it is if you can do playing decent and competitive games like last two... We need at least o n e or two star players on this team... And maybe just after this season we'll be able to proceed with the foundations of the team (in this I'm curious to see if we'll be able to achieve some more draft capital at tu e deadline or if we'll able to trade for some potential real young talent... My goal would be someone like an underutilized but very talented and very well scouted player like Amen Thompson).

Spurminator
01-08-2024, 11:14 AM
But it might be a great season to save payroll. It seems to me Pop gave up on winning games early on this season, and is now it full Mr Miyagi mode. He thinks he's teaching valuable life lessons to these players, I guess, because he sure as hell doesn't seem to give a fuck about winning.

I've gotten the feeling that he relishes that roll so much that he's created this kind of perpetual "growth mode" situation with the team.

If that's the case, I wish he would do it in an advisor/assistant coach capacity and give the game coaching to someone who has a bit more of a sense of urgency.

Tyronn Lue
01-08-2024, 11:48 AM
I've gotten the feeling that he relishes that roll so much that he's created this kind of perpetual "growth mode" situation with the team.

If that's the case, I wish he would do it in an advisor/assistant coach capacity and give the game coaching to someone who has a bit more of a sense of urgency.
I thought the developmental league was for that purpose.

spurraider21
01-08-2024, 12:23 PM
id agree if wemby was actually hurt

Spurminator
01-08-2024, 12:41 PM
I thought the developmental league was for that purpose.

Should be.

paperboy77
01-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Not sure why everything needs to be Pops fault? Are you gonna give him credit for getting the team to the point where they could steal the game at all, or is it only the players’ actions when the outcome is good and the coach when it’s not good?

Pop can and should be questioned, fine. The gratuitous blame it on Pop thing is getting boring and lazy.

Have you not followed SA all these years? Pop's been responsible for so many big losses it ain't even funny. I don't know, to each his own i guess, but for me Pop is public enemy #1.

Tyronn Lue
01-08-2024, 07:52 PM

I've had a few highs this season during close losses and a couple wins. Some of the wins and close loss highs are dampened when the opponent loses the following game to a team about as bad as the Spurs, indicating maybe the game didn't mean what I thought it meant. No one has gone undefeated, no one has been completely shut out.

This team won't look like they've reached the next level until they can string 4 or 5 wins together. Right now stringing one win would be nice, two would be sublime. 3 and I would think Pop was fired.

spurraider21
01-08-2024, 10:39 PM
id agree if wemby was actually hurt
yeah that right ankle is just killing him