PDA

View Full Version : Vassell and Johnson

timtonymanu
01-15-2024, 07:08 PM
3-22 combined, 0-10 from downtown. Vassell single-handedly lost us the bulls game. Should we even bother keeping these two past this season?

Spurs Homer
01-15-2024, 07:09 PM
Co-sign this shit

Devi8or
01-15-2024, 07:17 PM
I love both of them, but at this point if they are needed to land a big trade, I'm in....Devin is too inconsistent and Keldon dies playing hero ball too much at times like today

Dejounte
01-15-2024, 07:19 PM
What Was That Stat Where It Showed That Vassell Had The Highest FG% For Contested Shots? I’m Not Sure That’s A Stat To Be Proud Of Since If He Was Smarter And Found Ways To Take Better Shots, His Contested Shots vs Uncontested Wouldn’t Be So Lopsided And We’d Have Ourselves A Reliable Scorer. But The Guy Can’t Seem To Figure Out Better Ways To Create Shots.

Dejounte
01-15-2024, 07:21 PM
Keldon’s Shit Is Expected So It’s Not As Disappointing. But If We’re Moving On From Keldon, He Needs To Keep His Trade Value High And Have Less Of These Shit Nights.

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2024, 07:22 PM
Johnson is in his 5th season, he should be smarter. He keep making the same mistakes. Put his head down, drive and never pass. And that layup he missed to cut to 4 was pathetic.

sananspursfan21
01-15-2024, 07:24 PM
When Devin slumps, he slumps hard. Consistency has always been his biggest question mark. I love what he’s capable of, but if he can’t do that regularly, I’m on team trade him.

Raven
01-15-2024, 07:37 PM
i am happy to ride with them as long as they don't demand max money, i think they have a place as important pieces, but they are still young and are still learning both when and how to attack. The reason why i would stuck with them, is because on paper they are capable of anything that they should be capable of doing, and they have clearly improved defensively from their admittedly extremely low level.

SpursFan86
01-15-2024, 07:44 PM
Keldon had one of the shittiest games I’ve ever seen tbh. Who knows what would’ve happened had we scored after that steal on the inbounds play…should’ve gotten it down to 4 points.

freetiago
01-15-2024, 07:46 PM
Vassel needs a point guard as much as Wembenyama tbh. Johnson is just low IQ. His only move is running into 3 defenders and yelling AY thinking he’s always fouled. He killed the comeback in the 4th with his heroball

timtonymanu
01-15-2024, 07:48 PM
I’m more patient with Devin but he has too many of these stinker games. Not reliable enough as a 2nd option. He’s probably 3rd or 6th man option at best.

Keldon is what he is at this point, not worth keeping around next season if the team can’t find a better player in a trade. Murray and white were low picks like him but they are clear nba starters on a good team. Keldon isn’t.

Dejounte
01-15-2024, 08:00 PM
. Murray and white were low picks like him but they are clear nba starters on a good team.

This Was Definitely NOT The Consensus On This Board When Both Were Spurs Players. You Can Find Many Old Posts Saying They Were Garbage And Wouldn’t Be Contributors On A Good Team. Hell, Even Fathead Now Is Enjoying A Leadership Role On The TWolves.

poopbox
01-15-2024, 08:00 PM
Been real disappointed in Devin this season. He needs to become a 3 level scorer and not only does he not score in the paint he can't even get to the paint. Dude put on all that weight and muscle for nothing.

manufan10
01-15-2024, 08:09 PM
Vassell is the new Danny Green. #IcyHot

mo7888
01-15-2024, 08:14 PM

We wish...

Spurs Homer
01-15-2024, 08:14 PM
Both suck hard

vassell is absolute garbage and sucks as hard as branham

i never hated as many spurs at one time as this season…

even bonner/finley/bogans were hated less by me and that is saying a lot

rjv
01-15-2024, 08:17 PM
vassell has definitely hit a slump, which happens, but he had to find other ways to contribute. Keldon is just a black hole on offense and needs to understand his role.

scott
01-15-2024, 08:30 PM
What Was That Stat Where It Showed That Vassell Had The Highest FG% For Contested Shots? I’m Not Sure That’s A Stat To Be Proud Of Since If He Was Smarter And Found Ways To Take Better Shots, His Contested Shots vs Uncontested Wouldn’t Be So Lopsided And We’d Have Ourselves A Reliable Scorer. But The Guy Can’t Seem To Figure Out Better Ways To Create Shots.

Been saying this. Devin needs a PG as much as Wemby does.

Problem we are seeing with Devin though is that he gets tunnel vision and becomes determined to take a shot, no matter how hard it is. Like, you can pass it bro. Even Sochan is improving on this front while Devin is still just focused on getting his shots up.

rascal
01-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Trade for Jordan Hawkins before his trade value goes up.

He's going to end up better than Sochan, Vassell or Johnson in the long run.

Tyronn Lue
01-15-2024, 08:34 PM
Is the goal to tank or to win? We still don't know.

Knoxxx
01-15-2024, 08:49 PM
It’s all about the tank this year but given no generational talent we can afford to win more games the second half of the season.

Normally one or the other of these two no shows us, not both. Not sure I understand why it was critical to extend Vassell or Collins, for that matter. Both seemed to go into the toilet right after signing.

spurraider21
01-15-2024, 08:51 PM
vassell will string some games where he is complementing his own outside shot with his aggressive forays toward the rim, including some tough, crafty finishes... but then follow it with these stinkers. no bueno

timtonymanu
01-15-2024, 09:00 PM

Danny was not asked to do as much as Vassell offensively which is why Danny still was more consistent despite his icy hot stretches. It’s more of an issue when Vassell is treated like rookie contract nephew and he has consistent 1-12 stinker games.

heyheymymy
01-15-2024, 09:07 PM
Vassell: 2-11 18.2% @ ATL on Monday & 1-13 7.7 % vs. CHI on Saturday

Devin Vassell a combined 3-24 last 2 games.

Keldon Johnson is a 29th overall pick so he's more exceeding expectations imho but Devin Vassell picked at 11 overall must be more consistent.

I believe in Dev and see his potential. He's def progressed well over time. I feel like reassessing after one more offseason but the disappearing act is becoming a pattern.

AusSpur
01-15-2024, 09:14 PM

Considering in this draft a team is just as likely to find the best player in the draft at pick 15 as they are at pick 1, tanking hard appears pointless.

I think the goal was for Pop to flex that he is smarter than all of you, and that point guards are useless.

gilmor2002
01-15-2024, 09:45 PM
3-22 combined, 0-10 from downtown. Vassell single-handedly lost us the bulls game. Should we even bother keeping these two past this season?

I saw what he did in the game vs Bulls; missed the free throw which could have tied the game then missed the 3 pointer when he was wide open.

JeffDuncan
01-15-2024, 10:34 PM

Danny made up for his offensive inconsistency by playing good, strong defense. On defense, Danny was very consistent.

But Vassell’s defense is unpleasantly reminiscent of Bent Forms. Vassell has the physical tools to play good defense - height, reach, speed - but mentally, he can’t seem to remember what he’s supposed to be doing for three seconds. So when Vassell has a bad game shooting, he’s just bad all around.

Jordan Jackson
01-15-2024, 10:41 PM
Would you want Keldon Johnson on the floor during crunch time of a playoff game? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t. The guy is a 5th year player, his decision making and processing shouldn’t be this bad still.

Barfunk
01-15-2024, 10:43 PM

Lol pretty much

RC_Drunkford
01-16-2024, 08:02 AM
Vassell is 23. Him being inconsistent is totally normal. He'll need 1-2 seasons to become a consistent 20 PPG scorer, I'm not worried about it. Keldon was in a slump, but has otherwise been our most consistent player this season. Out of 38 played games he only had 6 games where he scored under double digits

SouthernFryd
01-16-2024, 09:20 AM
I can live with Vassel...he just needs some coaching and a good D/rebounder guy behind him. I think Tre could click with him given some more time.. Keldon is a lost cause. He's a black hole. He needs to be gone...champagnie too.

But, we will never win with Sochan starting and playing the most minutes. He has the lowest BBIQ I've ever seen. Always out of position, running into guys and clogging lanes. I don't care if you score the most in any particular game...when you're getting the most minutes on the entire team, by far...you're usually gonna score points just by being out there so long. He never knows where to be on any given play. Throws the ball away in clutch situations. His switching Defense is horrible, etc...etc. He shouldn't be on the court, let alone be on the court the most minutes. He's killing the team. What he gets in points, rebounds, etc...is usually not in the flow of the offense.

Tre, Wemby, Vassel...and add someone like Trae and a Big Defender...and we'll be competitive with anyone. Imho ;)

Spursfanfromafar
01-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Two stinkers by Vassell doesn't take away the fact that he is the only two-way player in this team with a net positive plus-minus on both defensive and offensive end apart from Wemby. Vassell still needs to find a way to score inside more and keep the three-ball option a strong one instead of relying on jumpers all the time. That is the only boulder he needs to move in order to establish himself as a potential All-Star player in the near future. I am confident he can do it considering he has really outgrown the scouting report when he was drafted at least on the offensive end. On the defensive end, he shows flashes of the smart help defender that he promised to become, but still needs a bit more consistency on the one-on-one end.

Keldon will be a great sixth man in a contending team. Book it. He would make a hell of a difference in a Warriors team in fact teaming up with Paul, Podziemski, Payton and Saric, for e.g. backing up Curry, Thompson, Kuminga and Green. Or the Lakers or the Sixers where they can afford to deal with his lapses on defense but where his energy would be vital as the X-factor. Too sad, he is asked to be among the leaders here among the rebuilding Spurs.

If the Spurs get lucky in accelerating their timeline and getting a free agent like say, Paul George next year, then Vassell and Johnson will be great in their respective roles behind Wemby and George. A PG is key too, but the Spurs needn't look for a superstar. A Malcolm Brogdon or a Tyus Jones would be good enough to round out such a squad. Imagine this (a pipe dream, but still) --

Brogdon, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Moses Moody, Cissoko
George, Keldon, Champagnie
Sochan, Risacher, Mamu
Wemby, Collins, Barlow

This should help the Spurs compete for the playoffs, at least without having to give up on the picks to other teams as they could get Brogdon, Moody and George in free agency itself. If George costs them a lot, they can settle for Tyus Jones as PG and any decent SG backup.

spurs10
01-16-2024, 02:54 PM
Two stinkers by Vassell doesn't take away the fact that he is the only two-way player in this team with a net positive plus-minus on both defensive and offensive end apart from Wemby. Vassell still needs to find a way to score inside more and keep the three-ball option a strong one instead of relying on jumpers all the time. That is the only boulder he needs to move in order to establish himself as a potential All-Star player in the near future. I am confident he can do it considering he has really outgrown the scouting report when he was drafted at least on the offensive end. On the defensive end, he shows flashes of the smart help defender that he promised to become, but still needs a bit more consistency on the one-on-one end.

Keldon will be a great sixth man in a contending team. Book it. He would make a hell of a difference in a Warriors team in fact teaming up with Paul, Podziemski, Payton and Saric, for e.g. backing up Curry, Thompson, Kuminga and Green. Or the Lakers or the Sixers where they can afford to deal with his lapses on defense but where his energy would be vital as the X-factor. Too sad, he is asked to be among the leaders here among the rebuilding Spurs.

If the Spurs get lucky in accelerating their timeline and getting a free agent like say, Paul George next year, then Vassell and Johnson will be great in their respective roles behind Wemby and George. A PG is key too, but the Spurs needn't look for a superstar. A Malcolm Brogdon or a Tyus Jones would be good enough to round out such a squad. Imagine this (a pipe dream, but still) --

Brogdon, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Moses Moody, Cissoko
George, Keldon, Champagnie
Sochan, Risacher, Mamu
Wemby, Collins, Barlow

This should help the Spurs compete for the playoffs, at least without having to give up on the picks to other teams as they could get Brogdon, Moody and George in free agency itself. If George costs them a lot, they can settle for Tyus Jones as PG and any decent SG backup. Pipe dreams are how it gets started. My disappointment in KJ and Vassell at the moment blurs my vision a bit, as they are a detriment to any type of incredible play Wemby puts out there. I haven't a clue who they are thinking of landing to support this generational talent, but they do need a George-like player and a PG to start.

cd98
01-16-2024, 03:24 PM
In an 82 game season, players have slumps and hot streaks. Both will rebound. Even Manu, Tim, and Tony were not immune from slumps.

ambchang
01-16-2024, 04:06 PM
I think we should trade every player who ever has a couple of bad games. Better yet make up fake drug test results to have them banned for life. Wemby included.

RC_Drunkford
01-16-2024, 04:26 PM
we should've traded Wemby by halftime yesterday

Das Texan
01-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Vassell needs to be smarter in what he does. Needs to be smarter in his decisions especially on offense, in terms of shots he takes, passes he makes et al.

This contract he signed is going to be a terrible thing if he doesnt improve his decision making drastically and soon.

offset formation
01-16-2024, 11:24 PM
Vassell is 23. Him being inconsistent is totally normal. He'll need 1-2 seasons to become a consistent 20 PPG scorer, I'm not worried about it. Keldon was in a slump, but has otherwise been our most consistent player this season. Out of 38 played games he only had 6 games where he scored under double digits

Keldon's defense tho?

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2024, 08:10 AM
Keldon's defense tho?

what defense?

offset formation
01-17-2024, 07:46 PM
what defense?

Precisely.