PDA

View Full Version : Will Wemby be an All Star this season?

pookenstein
01-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Personally I think he won't get in by popular votes to be a starter. I also don't think the coaches will vote him in. But, I think there is a pretty good chance he'll get in as an injury replacement player if one of the selected players is unable to participate.

Commissioner Adam Silver selects the replacement for any player unable to participate in the All-Star Game, choosing a player from the same conference as the player who is being replaced.
I think it would be in Silvers interest to build up the hype around Wemby. And his style of play would certainly suit the All Star format.

So what do you guys think?

Tyronn Lue
01-17-2024, 08:44 AM
If his own team cannot see him on the court, what makes you think anyone else will?

pookenstein
01-17-2024, 08:59 AM
He's the future face of the league and therefore it's in Silvers interest to build him up as a star asap. Also there are six frontcourt players guaranteed and he is sitting at #8 in popular votes right now.

JADG79
01-17-2024, 09:20 AM
Wemby is a human highlight, but Spurs made him and the team look bad for too many games with Sochan at PG.
Wemby's FG% and TO were really bad before moving to the center position.

Rocalcio
01-17-2024, 09:25 AM
With Durant, Davis and Leonard ahead of him in the votes, there is a big chance he could be called as a replacement. But even without that, I could see Silver giving him one of the Wild Card.

manufan10
01-17-2024, 09:27 AM
I mean, the Spurs aren't even saying anything about it on social media. Other teams are pushing their players and not a peep from the Spurs. I don't think he'll be an all-star this season.

John B
01-17-2024, 09:31 AM
I think he’ll miraculously get voted in and will be AS MVP with 40 pts, 20 rebounds, 10 blocks

exstatic
01-17-2024, 09:42 AM
I mean, the Spurs aren't even saying anything about it on social media. Other teams are pushing their players and not a peep from the Spurs. I don't think he'll be an all-star this season.

He won’t likely be voted in, but the league recognizes the interest he’s drawn, and it is in their interest to name him as a reserve or replacement player.

cd98
01-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately, no. But it is rare for a rookie to make the all star game. Even Lebron did not. But yes, Tim Duncan did.

Splits
01-17-2024, 10:11 AM
He's the future face of the league and therefore it's in Silvers interest to build him up as a star asap. Also there are six frontcourt players guaranteed and he is sitting at #8 in popular votes right now.

no hes 8th in the West frontcourt voting with only 3 spots. No fuggin way he gets voted as a starter

rascal
01-17-2024, 10:16 AM
I think he’ll miraculously get voted in and will be AS MVP with 40 pts, 20 rebounds, 10 blocks

Homer take.

He will be added by the league to the All Star Game but no way the other players pass him the ball enough to be MVP. He also won't get enough minutes as a reserve to be the MVP.

Mr. Body
01-17-2024, 10:19 AM
Yes.

What's funny is Chet won't be, but will win ROY.

baseline bum
01-17-2024, 10:19 AM
Wemby is a human highlight, but Spurs made him and the team look bad for too many games with Sochan at PG.
Wemby's FG% and TO were really bad before moving to the center position.

And with Branham at PG

MultiTroll
01-17-2024, 10:20 AM
Stern Jr. makes sure he gets in to increase Sheckels.

As a Spur while perhaps we'd rather have him rest, since he is going a q is what kind of chick(s) will he hook up with? Its in Vegas, right?

baseline bum
01-17-2024, 10:21 AM
Yes.

Reminds me of the 2001 MVP where the media decided it was Iverson in December and then just refused to change even though Shaq killed him in pretty much every way and had the Lakers red hot to finish the season.

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2024, 12:19 PM
I hope he does, but assume he won't

pookenstein
01-17-2024, 01:02 PM
no hes 8th in the West frontcourt voting with only 3 spots. No fuggin way he gets voted as a starter

No, it's at least six spots for frontcourt players. Three each by popular voting and coaches votes. Two each for backcourt players btw. And to round it up, twp players regardles their position. So I think his chances aren't that bad.

Edit: just saw you wrote as a starter. Don't think that'll happen as well. But the question is if he'll be an All Star, not necessarily a starter.

itzsoweezee
01-17-2024, 01:08 PM
No chance. The most infuriating part is that Chet will be an all star

exstatic
01-17-2024, 01:26 PM
No chance. The most infuriating part is that Chet will be an all star

Victor Wembanyama is going to be the next ‘face’ of the NBA. For all that SA is the winningest regular season team,with a pocket full of championships, and a slew of HOF players, we’ve never had that. It’s gone from Magic, to MJ, to Kobe, to LeBron, and now to Victor. The rule’s are different for that player.

They’ll find a way to get him on the roster, even if they have to exert some pressure to manufacture a fake injury.

buttsR4rebounding
01-17-2024, 01:31 PM
Yes.

He’ll get both. More of a lock for ROY though.

scott
01-17-2024, 01:39 PM
A week ago I would have thought yes as one of the last roster spots, but after listening to the last Lowe podcast when they went through their AS selection predictions, I don't think so - and it's not even a matter of bias against the Spurs. No matter how good Wemby has been, he's still on an atrocious basketball team, and that carries a stink with it. You can say what you will about whether team performance should be considered in ROTY, but it is definitely part of AS selection process.

itzsoweezee
01-17-2024, 01:45 PM
A week ago I would have thought yes as one of the last roster spots, but after listening to the last Lowe podcast when they went through their AS selection predictions, I don't think so - and it's not even a matter of bias against the Spurs. No matter how good Wemby has been, he's still on an atrocious basketball team, and that carries a stink with it. You can say what you will about whether team performance should be considered in ROTY, but it is definitely part of AS selection process.

Yup. People don’t seem to be aware of the national talk about wemby and the spurs. The terrible record is overshadowing all of Victor’s accomplishments. He’s a highlight reel that people (who obviously don’t watch spurs games because they are awful) think doesn’t impact winning

pookenstein
01-17-2024, 02:05 PM
Maybe, although I don't share this view. But anyway, popular votes only account for 50% of the starters votes. Silver decides on the replacements.

Tyronn Lue
01-17-2024, 03:51 PM
He's been in the league less than half a season. It's early to say he's the future face of the league. Promising for sure. I don't know if Silver takes that leap over someone more established who's coach didn't time fuck him.

TD 21
01-17-2024, 04:24 PM
This is not how I'd have it, but what I suspect is most likely . . .

Starters: James, Durant, Jokic, Doncic, Curry

Bench: George, Scumbag, Davis, Edwards, Gilgeous-Alexander, Booker, Sabonis/Fox

Injury replacements: Fox/Sabonis, Gobert, Towns, Sengun, Markkanen

pookenstein
01-17-2024, 04:42 PM
This is not how I'd have it, but what I suspect is most likely . . .

Starters: James, Durant, Jokic, Doncic, Curry

Bench: George, Scumbag, Davis, Edwards, Gilgeous-Alexander, Booker, Sabonis/Fox

Injury replacements: Fox/Sabonis, Gobert, Towns, Sengun, Markkanen

I coud see your starters and bench happen esily. From your replacement list I could see Fox/Sabonis and Towns being picked over Wemby because of team success. No way Goert gets picked over Wemby though. And Sengun and Lauri don't have the flair and the it factor Wemby already has imo. Both deserving a spot as injury replacement, but Wemby is alerady the bigger name with the better suited game for this event imo.

timtonymanu
01-17-2024, 07:13 PM
I think it’s unlikely but chances are he will be voted in as a starter next year when he keeps growing as a player.

exstatic
01-17-2024, 07:17 PM
He's been in the league less than half a season. It's early to say he's the future face of the league. Promising for sure. I don't know if Silver takes that leap over someone more established who's coach didn't time fuck him.

Actually, it isn’t. If you haven’t figured that out yet, hurry. The NBA vets have.

spurraider21
01-17-2024, 07:22 PM
I think it’s unlikely but chances are he will be voted in as a starter next year when he keeps growing as a player.
going to be tough to win a fan vote frontcourt spot ahead of jokic/durant/lebron, and let alone healthy nephew and anthony davis

Tyronn Lue
01-17-2024, 08:32 PM
Actually, it isn’t. If you haven’t figured that out yet, hurry. The NBA vets have.
I guess you can creatively define face of the league like this "vet" about LaMelo Ball.

"I mean, he's going to be the face of this league," Thomas said after Friday night's 142-120 win over New Orleans Pelicans. "He's already an All-Star. Give him two or three years, and he's going to be top-five, top-10 in this league easily."

So face of the league here just means top 10 in the league. Are there 10 faces of the league? If so then sure, Victor will be one.

"Definitely, Ja Morant is the future face of the league” - why Stephen A. Smith believes Ja Morant is the new face of the NBA

Seems there are a lot of faces to the league. If that's how you meant it then we don't disagree.

manufan10
01-19-2024, 10:41 AM

Make it happen.

Jordan Jackson
01-19-2024, 12:07 PM
He won’t. You can thank his coach and his ridiculous teammates dragging down an otherwise really great season from Victor.

hater
01-19-2024, 12:11 PM
Hope he doesn't make it

Kid needs chips on the shoulders

spurraider21
02-01-2024, 06:38 PM
all star team reveal in about 25 minutes

fwiw, as awesome as it would be, i dont think Wemby will make it, though he would be among the first few alternates if it came to that. all star rosters only have 12 whereas regular NBA rosters have 15, so you only get 7 reserves

Curry, Nephew, AD, Booker are the superstars who are foregone conclusions. i think he's great, but its also clear the league is really pushing Anthony Edwards to be among the big promoted superstars, so i think he's in as well. so in my eye people are fighting for 2 spots

i dont see Sabonis not making it, averaging 20/11/8 on a Kings team making another playoff push

Paul George, DeAron Fox, Sengun, Jamal Murray, one of the Pelican guys may make it

i think league is content with Wemby headlining rising stars game + participating in skills competition

spurraider21
02-01-2024, 07:07 PM
announcements right now

so far, Edwards, AD, Kawhi, Booker, Curry, George announced. 1 left. my guess sabonis

edit: :lmao Towns over Sabonis???

Leetonidas
02-01-2024, 07:12 PM
Not surprising. All star is generally either based on legacy or team record

Arcadian
02-01-2024, 07:14 PM
He absolutely should be. Wemby missing the ASG is a huge loss to everyone, and the event itself. This guy will make the game an order of magnitude more fun to watch.

If his teammates made an effort to involve him, he could literally win ASG MVP as a rookie.

Leetonidas
02-01-2024, 07:15 PM
It's honestly BS that the Lakers have two all stars when their team blows and that shitty Warriors have an all star at all.

dbestpro
02-01-2024, 07:29 PM
So its another boring all-star game. Great time to mow the grass.

CorrectCrusader
02-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Lebron being an allstar is hilarious. Living off his name at this point. Great player, but every single player (except Towns) on the allstar roster is better than he is rn

baseline bum
02-01-2024, 07:46 PM
Lebron being an allstar is hilarious. Living off his name at this point. Great player, but every single player (except Towns) on the allstar roster is better than he is rn

I'm ok with Bron there. Curry is just straight lifetime achievement award territory.

Davidicus
02-01-2024, 07:50 PM
Damn, just compare Bam’s stats to Wembys:

Bam: 20.6pts / 10.6rbd / 4.2ast / 2.0 stocks / 50% FG / 34.8min
Wemby: 20.6pts / 10.1rbd / 3.1ast / 4.3 stocks / 46% FG / 28.6min

Just goes to show how stacked the West is

thiste
02-01-2024, 07:51 PM
I'm ok with Bron there. Curry is just straight lifetime achievement award territory.

They're literally #1 & #3 in jersey sales.

Victor is #4 though...

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1752330832054759503

rascal
02-01-2024, 07:55 PM
Wemby might still make it as an injury replacement.

spurraider21
02-01-2024, 08:07 PM
Sabonis would have to be the first replacement for bigs. It’s nuts to me that KAT made it over him. KAT hasn’t even been as impactful as Gobert

its the 60 point game

timtonymanu
02-01-2024, 08:11 PM
Meh, don't care that Wemby didn't make it as there was just a lot of competition out West and our shitty record didn't help his chances.

lol the 9th seed Lakers with two all stars and Curry getting in. Kings should have had someone represent them.

thiste
02-01-2024, 08:13 PM
Hot take: without Pop's early season experiments, Victor makes the ASG.

CorrectCrusader
02-01-2024, 08:24 PM
Hot take: without Pop's early season experiments, Victor makes the ASG.

Ice cold hot take honestly. I think this is probably a no brainer

Seventyniner
02-01-2024, 08:46 PM
After this year's ASG it will be a long time until the next one that doesn't include Wemby.

manufan10
02-01-2024, 09:00 PM
I'm okay with him not being selected. He will be showcased with all eyes on him during the Rising Stars game. Plus, gives him a chip on his shoulder to prove to people he should have been an all-star. Win/win imo.

Ignazzz
02-02-2024, 05:15 AM
No.

thiste
02-02-2024, 08:06 AM
Yep from next season on, he won't make it a debate anymore.

pookenstein
02-17-2024, 03:32 PM
All Star practice, no Kawhi. The plot thickens. Not much time to fly Sabonis in. Maybe Vic will replace KL...

widowmaker
02-17-2024, 05:03 PM
Yes.

pookenstein
02-17-2024, 05:59 PM
And sure enough: "Leonard said he'd play "a little bit" in Sunday's game."
I really should stop predicting shit...