PDA

View Full Version : Branham

vy65
01-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Is terrible. We’ve seen stats showing he’s one of, if not the, worst defenders in the league. He’s not an elite shooter or playmaker. As I type this he just chucked up a three and didn’t even hit rim. There’s literally nothing he does at a marginal level, let alone average. He needlessly sucks up minutes from a more deserving Blake. He’s like the product of a mad-scientist wanting to make an even worse version of Bryn Forbes (e.g., Forbes minus the shooting). And he looks like a supreme faggot with that stupid fucking headband.

scott
01-17-2024, 08:34 PM
I tuned in to the game late in the second just in time for Branham to miss a wide open 3 by like four feet. Amazing, really.

scott
01-17-2024, 08:35 PM
I think spending the 3-4 weeks in the G League would do Branham a lot of good. Both in terms of putting him against some competition he can be better than, but also to send a message that he's about to find himself out of the league.

spurraider21
01-17-2024, 08:37 PM
graham should have his rotation spot

a) he's better
b) he's the one who could have actually had trade value as a vet who can play, provide shooting, and has a quasi-expiring deal

CorrectCrusader
Branham stock at the beginning of the season :toast:toast:toast
Branham stock at the almost halfway point :bang:bang:bang

Wesley stock to begin the season :bang:bang:bang
Wesley stock now ;););)

spurraider21
I think spending the 3-4 months in the G League would do Branham a lot of good. Both in terms of putting him against some competition he can be better than, but also to send a message that he's about to find himself out of the league.
fify

mo7888
01-17-2024, 08:38 PM
I think spending the 3-4 weeks in the G League would do Branham a lot of good. Both in terms of putting him against some competition he can be better than, but also to send a message that he's about to find himself out of the league.

Hopefully we can include him in a trade as an "asset" to some team that can sell to their fan base that there's something they can develop before he totally blows that narrative.

Tyronn Lue
01-17-2024, 08:39 PM
He's great if you want to tank without telling the team to tank.

z0sa
01-17-2024, 08:39 PM
graham should have his rotation spot

a) he's better
b) he's the one who could have actually had trade value as a vet who can play, provide shooting, and has a quasi-expiring deal

Is the DUI during summer or w/e the only reason Graham isn't playing? He's WAY better than Malaki. It's not even close.

z0sa
01-17-2024, 08:40 PM
Also, Wesley is more raw somehow than even shit Branham, but his defensive upside is immense. He shows 1000% hustle on every possession.

CorrectCrusader
01-17-2024, 08:41 PM
Also, Wesley is more raw somehow than even shit Branham, but his defensive upside is immense. He shows 1000% hustle on every possession.

As opposed to Branham who has been the WORST defender in the NBA (no hyperbole) since the season began

spurraider21
01-17-2024, 08:41 PM
Wesley's defense is nice, but offensively, he went from being out of control and mistake prone to just being completely risk averse and not really doing anything

CorrectCrusader
01-17-2024, 08:42 PM
Wesley's defense is nice, but offensively, he went from being out of control and mistake prone to just being completely risk averse and not really doing anything

That's called progress

Leetonidas
01-17-2024, 08:42 PM
Branham is not an NBA level player right now, much less one who should be in a teams active rotation. Probably the most disappointing player this season honestly

vy65
01-17-2024, 08:44 PM
Didn’t this faggot go to Spain during the offseason to work out with other NBA players? WTF did he do over there, eat paella and suck cock?

Spurs Homer
01-17-2024, 08:57 PM
Branham, vassell included in a deal for anyone tbh

both are complete garbage

spurraider21
01-17-2024, 09:01 PM
Didn’t this faggot go to Spain during the offseason to work out with other NBA players? WTF did he do over there, eat paella and suck cock?
what did he do, suck shum cack?

https://i.insider.com/6193c588a2e68800198a6f20?width=700

vy65
01-17-2024, 09:08 PM
Just got his shit pushed in by some dude name Quetta after giving up an easy layup to Great White American Hope Payton Prichard

paperboy77
01-17-2024, 09:12 PM
Is terrible. We’ve seen stats showing he’s one of, if not the, worst defenders in the league. He’s not an elite shooter or playmaker. As I type this he just chucked up a three and didn’t even hit rim. There’s literally nothing he does at a marginal level, let alone average. He needlessly sucks up minutes from a more deserving Blake. He’s like the product of a mad-scientist wanting to make an even worse version of Bryn Forbes (e.g., Forbes minus the shooting). And he looks like a supreme faggot with that stupid fucking headband.

Been saying it.. this is James Anderson from back in the day. Big 12 Player of the Year outta I think OKS. Said it before cut this fool.... PERO HOY!!!!!!!! Champenny too, that's a scrub.

z0sa
01-17-2024, 09:23 PM

:lmao

Dverde
01-17-2024, 09:41 PM
He’s proven to be a dime a dozen player this season. I see nothing that shows his defense will improve. Defense makes him valuable. I still think he’s a back of the rotation player, but nothing worth building on. He looks lazy on defense despite being in his second year.

offset formation
01-17-2024, 10:22 PM
I tuned in to the game late in the second just in time for Branham to miss a wide open 3 by like four feet. Amazing, really.

Yeah. Was really shocked to hear from our play by play guy to say in the 3rd quarter that Branham was having a "really good game."

Like are you watching the same game? Dudes a no defense chucker and ball hog for someone that doesn't shoot that well.

offset formation
01-17-2024, 10:24 PM

And they were reportedly all out of paella.

tbdog
01-17-2024, 10:52 PM
It's disappointing that he has regressed in his second year. It does happen from time to time, especially with guards. But it's not like the Spurs brought someone in to block his playing time. Just keep in mind, sometimes it takes some time. Lowry for example, didn't break 10pg until his 4th of 5 year. He was traded multiple times until things clicked. I am never a fan of giving up young guards this early. But my eye test shows that he just doesn't have the tools. I'm not sure what his strength is. Perhaps he is being used poorly. I don't know.

K...
01-17-2024, 10:55 PM
yeah players in the late lottery tend to bust, sometimes it's a primo, but most often it's their not good enough and that's not unusual, or a sign of poor drafting. I t is what it is,

BackHome
01-17-2024, 11:16 PM
It is not poor drafting it is just hard to get a legit NBA player drafting mid to late. As far as Branham I hate letting picks go early but if you can’t play defense and you can’t be consistent on offense what is the reason to keep you. One thing that reminds me of Forbes is I can tell when he misses badly or does something stupid he lets that impact his game it drives me crazy when players pout when they miss.

vy65
01-17-2024, 11:42 PM

Crofl if true. S-tier beta male tendencies.

CorrectCrusader
01-17-2024, 11:52 PM

Average American athlete

Knoxxx
01-18-2024, 12:03 AM
Branham needs to stop passing at the FT line and take those midrange shots he’s not even attempting to play how he did in summer league while showing some scoring potential.

baseline bum
01-18-2024, 01:24 AM
I think spending the 3-4 weeks in the G League would do Branham a lot of good.

It would do the Spurs even more good

Das Texan
01-18-2024, 01:49 AM
It would do the Spurs even more good

Can we make it 6-8 weeks instead?

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2024, 03:40 AM
I'm not really that hard on players in their 2nd year, but almost all his stats are down from last season. In fact in the last 29 games of the 22/23 season Branham was averaging 14.1 PPG. Her averages 8.7 right now. Not only is he the worst defender in the league, but his 3-point shot is not good enough. If he could at least be a 3-point sniper with a midrange game, he'd have some value as a microwave scorer. Spurs shouldn't give up on him yet, but he's terrible right now.

SouthernFryd
01-18-2024, 05:51 AM
Everyone's trying too hard to make all these marginal players into something.

TBH, only Wemby is a legit NBA player...and he's a top-tier NBA player. The rest of the the Squad are really not. Sochan probably gets the most minutes and until that changes, Spurs ain't going nowhere fast. And Champagnie is starting?? How the F does that even happen?

And how did this Brian guy land the GM spot and start picking all of these lousy players? I mean, there's your problem right there. The Spurs reflect the Front office...and both suck. Blow it up.

Dejounte
01-18-2024, 05:56 AM

TBH, only Wemby is a legit NBA player...and he's a top-tier NBA player. The rest of the the Squad are really not. Sochan probably gets the most minutes and until that changes, Spurs ain't going nowhere fast.

How did this Brian guy land the GM spot and start picking all of these lousy players? I mean, there's your problem right there.

Same Exact Words Were Said About Our Previous Roster With Murray, White, Fathead, Lonnie Walker, Eubanks, Landale… And All Of These Players Became “Legit NBA Players” Elsewhere.

I’m Not Saying The Current Players Aren’t Playing Terribly, But This Notion How They Wouldn’t Be NBA Players Elsewhere Is Asinine And The Same Kind Of Narrative That Gets Proven Wrong Over Time.

SouthernFryd
01-18-2024, 06:03 AM
Same Exact Words Were Said About Our Previous Roster With Murray, White, Fathead, Lonnie Walker, Eubanks, Landale… And All Of These Players Became “Legit NBA Players” Elsewhere.

I’m Not Saying The Current Players Aren’t Playing Terribly, But This Notion How They Wouldn’t Be NBA Players Elsewhere Is Asinine And The Same Kind Of Narrative That Gets Proven Wrong Over Time.

Well, I haven't' watched the NBA since Duncan left, so haven't really kept up. Even had season tickets for a few years. So, I thought I'd just check in to see the new guy. How'd things change so fast? I remember a time when players came to the Spurs and excelled...when they couldn't elsewhere. Wtf happened? The whole NBA has changed and not for the better. I can't see myself sticking around for too much longer. But damn...Wemby really is fun to watch, lol.

Dejounte
01-18-2024, 06:13 AM
Well, I haven't' watched the NBA since Duncan left, so haven't really kept up. Even had season tickets for a few years. So, I thought I'd just check in to see the new guy. How'd things change so fast? I remember a time when players came to the Spurs and excelled...when they couldn't elsewhere. Wtf happened? The whole NBA has changed and not for the better. I can't see myself sticking around for too much longer. But damn...Wemby really is fun to watch, lol.

Different Strokes For Different Folks.
We All Tune In For Different Reasons. There’s Nothing Wrong With Following The Spurs To Enjoy Their Favorite Player On The Team And Watching Them Only On An Occasional Basis. Some Here Are Around Because They Follow Every Rumor, Every News Update, Every GLeague Game Related To The Spurs— Not Everyone Has To Do That. Obviously Winning Makes Thing More Fun, But Being Able To Be A Fan While The Team Sucks Has Its Own Fulfillment Too. I Hope You Stick Around Even If It Isn’t On A Frequent Basis.

buttsR4rebounding
01-18-2024, 06:35 AM

What has changed is that rookies didn't even sniff significant time on the floor until their 3rd year. Then they were an afterthought to the other team that was trying to deal with Duncan, Parker and Manu. The goal of the team was much different than it is now. By necessity they are giving guys who really aren't ready significant minutes to expedite the culling process. At this point Malaki Please Spell My Name Right appears to be one that won't survive it unless something clicks for him soon.

widowmaker
01-18-2024, 08:21 AM
Spurs need to put him in the gym with Chris Matthews.

Mr. Body
01-18-2024, 08:32 AM
Literally his second year in the league. Y'all need to shoot yourselves in the head.

Kermit
01-18-2024, 08:38 AM
And hopefully last, at least on this team.

John B
01-18-2024, 08:44 AM
The Spurs are in a rebuilding process. They are playing the youngest players in the NBA. Time and time again the Spurs have produced players like Dejounte, Derrick, CoJo, Kyle, George Hill, Eubanks, Bayne, Diop… but still we have the same bitching. Geez, I would not go on a long-drive with many of you people… “are we there yet? are we there yet??” “It’s too hot in here, I need to go to the bathroom!!”… geez :lol

It’s in Spurs’ benefit to play these guys much minute while they are rebuilding, get them as much NBA minutes. Play Graham instead, why? So we could get a SRP for him? I rather play our 2nd year draft picks Malaki and Blake and get them playing against NBA players and see what they got.

I notice Branham plays better with the ball and when he is expected to score, same as Lonnie before, but tends to disappear. He is not as athletic as Lonnie, but Malaki has better composure. His defense (or lack of) is a matter of getting stronger and getting more experience imo. Again, these kids are 20 years old. I have 501 jeans older than these kids. It takes a lot of patience. But while others whine and complain about the losses, I enjoy the individual plays, individual developments. Blake not too long ago was being castrated in this forum, but was real effective defending top tier guards, Trae, Dame, Ja. Sochan has improved his ballhandling so much and should get even better. Barlow has been rebounding well and able to knock down mid-range. I like the occassional W’s, but I also enjoy the individual development. Come next season, the Spurs will have a much stronger 2nd year Wemby, these guys would’ve also another year on their beltsjo. I expect the FO to bring in a quality vet(s) either through trade or FA. I’m sure Wemby would want to be much more competitive next season. In the meantime, our young players are auditioning for their roles next to Wemby.

For now, chill and enjoy. The Spurs will be playing much better next season :bobo

JeffDuncan
01-18-2024, 11:48 AM

Some fans are trying to be optimistic, and support the team, but you are correct, of course. The Spurs roster, overall, is rubbish. The quality of the coaching has been commensurate with the roster, also. Mostly rubbish, that is.

The team needs to acquire some serious NBA-quality firepower, somehow, from somewhere. The Spurs front office has shown an ability to do a good job getting rid of players, to tank. Can the FO do the reverse, getting players, to rebuild? Cross your fingers, hold your nose, and stay tuned.

Tyronn Lue
01-18-2024, 11:59 AM

I don't care if they are NBA players elsewhere, just not here.

Tyronn Lue
01-18-2024, 12:05 PM
Some fans are trying to be optimistic, and support the team, but you are correct, of course. The Spurs roster, overall, is rubbish. The quality of the coaching has been commensurate with the roster, also. Mostly rubbish, that is.

The team needs to acquire some serious NBA-quality firepower, somehow, from somewhere. The Spurs front office has shown an ability to do a good job getting rid of players, to tank. Can the FO do the reverse, getting players, to rebuild? Cross your fingers, hold your nose, and stay tuned.
Man that's a tough one. I think you could list the "serious NBA quality firepower" the Spurs have acquired throughout the past 30 years quite easily. But then they had the big 3 and Robinson. They just needed to add pieces but never needed a full compliment of "other players" besides their franchise guy. It should be an attractive prospect for NBA talent to play in SA. You can only get better, and MVPs and all those individual awards come in big improvement seasons often. Spurs also have a tendency to make only minor moves. We just need to see Victor playing more minutes and see improvement in his game. I wish the best for the others but they are all pawns.

onechance87
01-18-2024, 12:11 PM

Yea...But there was sum type of potential with them...There is no pontetial with branham...Dude is good at nothing..Hes bad
at everything...The only thing hes got going for him is his age...He dont belong in the nba,But obviously pop likes him and is
one of his favorites.

get_mills_out
01-18-2024, 12:19 PM
Branham guarding the ballhandler

Ball screen

Screener's defender is in1990's-era drop coverage

:pop: "Make Lillard take a floater"

Branham's man is going downhill, unobstructed to the lane playing 2 on 1 against a big

I think most of the Spurs wings are pretty bad defenders, but I'll withhold judgement until the Spurs scheme on defense changes from "funnel everything to a backpedaling big, overhelp, pray the help is on time, and hope they don't see the obvious kick out for a practice three"

SouthernFryd
01-18-2024, 12:36 PM
It is not poor drafting

It's not "JUST" poor drafting - FIXED ;)

Chomag
01-18-2024, 01:01 PM
He's going to be out of the league once his rookie contract ends.

spurraider21
01-18-2024, 01:15 PM
we gotta have some churn boys

are we really not going to be able to draft another combo guard because we have to commit to giving branham the full 4 years of his rookie contract to be gifted minutes until he plays better?

SpurSpike
01-18-2024, 01:24 PM
Every time Branham is mentioned all I think about is that one team picture where he was carrying a purse in public... just can't shake it lol.

Spurminator
01-18-2024, 01:43 PM
The Spurs are in a rebuilding process. They are playing the youngest players in the NBA. Time and time again the Spurs have produced players like Dejounte, Derrick, CoJo, Kyle, George Hill, Eubanks, Bayne, Diop… but still we have the same bitching. Geez, I would not go on a long-drive with many of you people… “are we there yet? are we there yet??” “It’s too hot in here, I need to go to the bathroom!!”… geez :lol

Let's just give every player 3 or 4 years to "develop" and ignore what we see on the court until then.

Several of the players you listed already showed a lot of promise as rookies, and several of the other ones are still interchangeable bench scrubs who don't merit substantial minutes on a contending team. Why would you wait around for that? Let another team gamble on potential.

John B
01-18-2024, 02:23 PM
I
Let's just give every player 3 or 4 years to "develop" and ignore what we see on the court until then.

Several of the players you listed already showed a lot of promise as rookies, and several of the other ones are still interchangeable bench scrubs who don't merit substantial minutes on a contending team. Why would you wait around for that? Let another team gamble on potential.

Bruh Dejounte couldn’t dribble in traffic without getting stripped. The only difference was they were playing with veterans or championship team for most of them, and were hardly getting playing time, so we didn’t get to see them on regular games. They played 2-3 minutes of garbage time and even then just warm bodies. But they all get drilled in scrimmages, and better now against real NBA games. If you played Branham then, he’d be in Austin for 2 years and barely would get playing time with the main team, and even then with very limited “roles.” These are the same players as these guys. Trust Spurs development. They’ve produced enough NBA players from mote humble beginning. Freaking Danny Green was cut twice and couldn’t dribble the ball! :lol

Seventyniner
01-18-2024, 02:23 PM
https://i.redd.it/3ku6t3ydwal71.jpg

Spurminator
01-18-2024, 02:34 PM
Bruh Dejounte couldn’t dribble in traffic without getting stripped. The only difference was they were playing with veterans or championship team for most of them, and were hardly getting playing time, so we didn’t get to see them on regular games. They played 2-3 minutes of garbage time and even then just warm bodies. But they all get drilled in scrimmages, and better now against real NBA games. If you played Branham then, he’d be in Austin for 2 years and barely would get playing time with the main team, and even then with very limited “roles.” These are the same players as these guys. Trust Spurs development. They’ve produced enough NBA players from mote humble beginning. Freaking Danny Green was cut twice and couldn’t dribble the ball! :lol

Like you said, when you're a contender with good veterans you have more time to develop potential in the background. This team doesn't have that, so why gamble on the hope that someone who's not showing much promise in year 2 will eventually become a borderline all-star by year 6? Victor Wembanyama is on a rookie contract right now. The Spurs should be investing in known talent to put around him in years 2-4.

Malaki may end up being a good player, I just object to the idea that you can't make any kind of analysis of a player's potential in year 2.

Year 2 Dejounte started more than half of the Spurs games so it's not like he was in the G-league at this point in Branham's career.

Spurminator
01-18-2024, 02:53 PM
And Danny Green ended up being a fine serviceable role player but if that's Branham's ceiling, then why not see what Wesley can do with the same starts and minutes?

spurraider21
01-18-2024, 02:53 PM
I

based

Das Texan
01-18-2024, 03:13 PM
I

Fine. Send him to Austin then.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-18-2024, 04:38 PM
Branham sucks ass. Cut him.

Pretty simple.

BackHome
01-18-2024, 05:00 PM
Raptors just waived second year Christian Koloko, 7,1 Center I believe he was a 32 or 33 pick in that draft

spurraider21
01-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Raptors just waived second year Christian Koloko, 7,1 Center I believe he was a 32 or 33 pick in that draft
think hes basically out for the season, hasnt played at all due to some respiratory illness. and there is word the raptors are interested in bringing him back again during the offseason

timtonymanu
01-18-2024, 05:46 PM
Ehh we said the same shit about Luka samanic. “He needs more time.” And he was absolute ass. Branham sucks, plain and simple. I feel more comfortable with sochan and Blake developing.

vy65
01-20-2024, 07:37 PM
Lol

spurraider21
01-20-2024, 07:48 PM
He looks even worse in person tbh

kace
01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
seems that teams are kinda of figuring out Victor on the defensive end. or maybe victor is just tired and less explosive. but teams are successfully driving at the rim more often lately even with Victor patrolling in the paint

kace
01-20-2024, 07:59 PM
for sure, that minutes limitation is frustrating for him and for us. maybe, it's the right choice but still, he seems to have to prove constantly with so few minutes played. Difficult to let the game come at you and not to rush it in these conditions.

vy65
01-20-2024, 08:06 PM
Every minute this head banded faggot takes away from Blake is a national tragedy

rascal
01-20-2024, 08:08 PM
seems that teams are kinda of figuring out Victor on the defensive end. or maybe victor is just tired and less explosive. but teams are successfully driving at the rim more often lately even with Victor patrolling in the paint

Wemby is going to need more help on the frontline. Sochan isn't it.

Hopefully the Spurs land Sarr who can add more help interior defense, shot blocking and rebounding and low post scoring and it will allow Wemby to get out of the post at times, which he would prefer to switch out at times.

Atl Spur
01-20-2024, 08:16 PM
He’s a little to whiney for my liking right now….Bryn Forbes type mentally

CorrectCrusader
01-20-2024, 08:21 PM
Defense is all effort. He's giving NONE. So when his offense is trash (always) he can't contribute in other ways. He just runs the floor making the spurs play 4v5

SpursBills
01-20-2024, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty forgiving of young players and generally give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm having a hard time seeing how even a fully actualized Branham benefits the team.

Sochan if he develops right is basically a poor man's Scottie Barnes with size, playmaking, decent jumper, and defense.
Wesley if he develops right is an excellent point of attack defender who gets a ton of rim pressure and decent creator. These are both extremely useful players.

What is Branham even if he develops right? Lethal Mid range scorer with mediocre defense and 3 point shooting who can create some? Is that basically just a shorter DeRozan and is that even useful for the team moving forward?

vy65
01-20-2024, 09:50 PM
4:25 of action. Hope this is the beginning of the biggest acquisition in the Guangdong Tiger’s history

Tyronn Lue
01-20-2024, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty forgiving of young players and generally give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm having a hard time seeing how even a fully actualized Branham benefits the team.

Sochan if he develops right is basically a poor man's Scottie Barnes with size, playmaking, decent jumper, and defense.
Wesley if he develops right is an excellent point of attack defender who gets a ton of rim pressure and decent creator. These are both extremely useful players.

What is Branham even if he develops right? Lethal Mid range scorer with mediocre defense and 3 point shooting who can create some? Is that basically just a shorter DeRozan and is that even useful for the team moving forward?
You can literally find a dozen Branhams at every G league tryout.

CGD
01-20-2024, 11:14 PM
I kinda get the impression he’s not the type that will do well with Pop’s coaching style, but that would do well in another environment. In contrast I think Wesley is the type to be receptive to the tough love, though, with him it’s more about putting the talent pieces together. Pop was coaching the crap out of him today.

AusSpur
01-21-2024, 01:40 AM
A G-League stint did wonders for Wesley's game. I would be great to see if Branham can fins himself down there, because he doesn't look much like an NBA level player these days.

Gagnrath
01-21-2024, 07:14 AM
Been saying it.. this is James Anderson from back in the day. Big 12 Player of the Year outta I think OKS. Said it before cut this fool.... PERO HOY!!!!!!!! Champenny too, that's a scrub.

Anderson actually had a number of decent games, had a foot injury which took him from below average athletically in the NBA to can't compete. Branahm just never even seemed to have that. He was supposed to be a smart playing shooter who wasn't ba liability on defense. No e of which seems accurate.

Gagnrath
01-21-2024, 07:29 AM
Ehh we said the same shit about Luka samanic. “He needs more time.” And he was absolute ass. Branham sucks, plain and simple. I feel more comfortable with sochan and Blake developing.

I view Darko M. and Luka Samanic both as coaching and scouting failures. Both of them had the athletic potential and some talent. Both of them grew up playing against sub-par talent that they could dominate without having to put in work outside of the games. This they found themselves when drafted in a spot where when they did the math were set for life in their home country financially and could go back and get a contract or two to be a pretty big fish in a small pond without a lot of work to launch with publicity whatever passion project they wanted. For guys who viewed basketball as oh it's fun and because I am good at it, this can be my ticket to a comfortable spot, once you have the ticket why go further?

rjv
01-21-2024, 10:39 AM

yeah, I was wondering why Wemby only had 6 block’s last night.

paperboy77
01-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Anderson actually had a number of decent games, had a foot injury which took him from below average athletically in the NBA to can't compete. Branahm just never even seemed to have that. He was supposed to be a smart playing shooter who wasn't ba liability on defense. No e of which seems accurate.

Branahm has had good games too. I don't know.. that's who comes to mind when I think of Branahm.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-21-2024, 08:25 PM
Branham's ceiling is Rudy Gay. He passes and plays defense with as much effort and intelligence.

scott
01-21-2024, 08:33 PM

Weak sauce by Bran, but this guy Quan is one of the worst, toxic Twitter fans you can possibly follow. It's like if the trolls from the Politics forum posted the same way in the main forum. Or, like ducks with grammar.

baseline bum
01-21-2024, 08:33 PM
Branahm has had good games too. I don't know.. that's who comes to mind when I think of Branahm.

Can't have many when he's letting opposing guards shoot Prime Shaq levels of FG percentage.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-21-2024, 08:59 PM
We need 3 and D. Branham gives turnovers and missed assignments.

He clearly buys into the coaching and changes what he does, but it is brutal watching a guy making the same mistakes over and over again. He is really struggling to put it together.

spurraider21
01-21-2024, 09:25 PM
Branham's ceiling is Rudy Gay. He passes and plays defense with as much effort and intelligence.
Gay was a great athlete

Raven
01-21-2024, 09:30 PM
for as much as i dislike him as a player, he has improved a lot like many others.

onechance87
01-21-2024, 10:18 PM
for as much as i dislike him as a player, he has improved a lot like many others.

lol

FuzzyLumpkins
01-21-2024, 10:26 PM
Gay was a great athlete

Above average leaper and a decent runner, but Gay was high cut and not very quick. That wasn't his issue as much as attention to detail and effort of defense.

Branham is an above average athlete in his own right.

SpursBills
01-21-2024, 10:28 PM
Gay was a great athlete

Gay was 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan and an iso monster, huge disparity between him and Branham physically that dramatically affects their margin of error to succeed in the league. Branham gives up like 3 inches in height and 5 on wingspan to Gay.

spurraider21
01-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Above average leaper and a decent runner, but Gay was high cut and not very quick. That wasn't his issue as much as attention to detail and effort of defense.

Branham is an above average athlete in his own right.
Gay was more athletic than Branham by several orders of magnitude. There is no comparison. Maybe you are thinking of Gay on the spurs :lol

Even he was a better athlete than branham

Malaki is a below average athlete for the sg position

objective
01-21-2024, 11:46 PM
I view Darko M. and Luka Samanic both as coaching and scouting failures. Both of them had the athletic potential and some talent. Both of them grew up playing against sub-par talent that they could dominate without having to put in work outside of the games. This they found themselves when drafted in a spot where when they did the math were set for life in their home country financially and could go back and get a contract or two to be a pretty big fish in a small pond without a lot of work to launch with publicity whatever passion project they wanted. For guys who viewed basketball as oh it's fun and because I am good at it, this can be my ticket to a comfortable spot, once you have the ticket why go further?

Samanic was definitely a scouting failure but an obvious one.

People thought he'd be a stretch 4, without caring that he had never been able to make threes at any level in his whole life except one tiny tournament cup sample

I remember people in here making excuses for that, saying that his bad shooting in Europe was because he was going against grown men who were bigger and stronger than him. Of course, I brought up how he still shot bricked garbage in the Spanish B division against kids his own age and size, but that was conveniently ignored.

And sure enough, all these years later with all this coaching, he still can't shoot.

Don't know if he's played any g-league this season because bball ref seems behind on the gleague stuff, but he's a career 31.4% in 398 attempts, his best year being last season at 33%. NBA is even worse, 102 career attempts at 27.5%

This year in Utah he's 5-20 and a smooth 25%. And it's not like his form was so smooth that he could reasonably be forcasted to eventually shoot well like Beal going from college to the pros.

Zach Collins is a better, more reliable three point shooter than Samanic, that's how bad Samanic is

exstatic
01-22-2024, 07:48 AM
yeah players in the late lottery tend to bust, sometimes it's a primo, but most often it's their not good enough and that's not unusual, or a sign of poor drafting. I t is what it is,

Branham was late first, not late lottery. Late lottery is like 11-14. He was 20.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2024, 08:25 AM
Gay was more athletic than Branham by several orders of magnitude. There is no comparison. Maybe you are thinking of Gay on the spurs :lol

Even he was a better athlete than branham

Malaki is a below average athlete for the sg position

When he was here, he as a slug, nonetheless, he only had better length and hops but he was not particularly quick even in Memphis. And I am sure those Grizzlies teams were must watch for you making you the expert.

His game was the mid range because he lacked to the quickness to consistently get to the rim despite his length.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2024, 08:32 AM
Gay was 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan and an iso monster, huge disparity between him and Branham physically that dramatically affects their margin of error to succeed in the league. Branham gives up like 3 inches in height and 5 on wingspan to Gay.

Gay as a mid range jump shooter who used his length and size to shoot over people. He was much more apt to post up than slash.

:lol Iso monster. He was great at what even back then was a marginally effective shot. Memphis dumped him and famously went the other way with Durant, Harden, and Westbrook.

kxs783kms
01-22-2024, 08:47 AM

Teams are putting him in the pick and roll everytime down the court to pull him away from the basket. They're either getting wide open 3s because he sags off and falls back into the lane or he's super aggressive and falls for the pump fake. Because of his length and agility, he's still able to make up ground and still recover or get a few blocks sometimes. As good as he's been, I still think we need a big PF who can guard the bigger Centers to help take some of the pressure off of Vic.

I also think he let's some blockable shots go to stay out of foul trouble or he's fatigued.

spurraider21
01-22-2024, 09:10 AM
When he was here, he as a slug, nonetheless, he only had better length and hops but he was not particularly quick even in Memphis. And I am sure those Grizzlies teams were must watch for you making you the expert.

His game was the mid range because he lacked to the quickness to consistently get to the rim despite his length.
You should have just said “yes i was talking about spurs rudy gay” instead of making progressively worse arguments like “grr you probably never even watched him play”

and today i learned that Michael Jordan lived in the midrange because he lacked the athletic ability to get to the rim

im not defending gay’s play style, efficiency, or effort. But invoking him as an athlete in the same class as branham is lunacy

Mr. Body
01-22-2024, 09:50 AM
A lot of truly, abysmally stupid people on this board (what else is new). Branham needs a step back and to work on specific things. I could see a walk back to G-League. He's clearly an NBA player who needs development and y'all gonna be sucking your thumbs before long.

spurraider21
01-22-2024, 09:57 AM
A lot of truly, abysmally stupid people on this board (what else is new). Branham needs a step back and to work on specific things. I could see a walk back to G-League. He's clearly an NBA player who needs development and y'all gonna be sucking your thumbs before long.
he does need to work on specific things. Like shooting, dribbling, passing, vision, defensive effort, defensive iq, positioning.

he’s good everywhere else though

ginobilized
01-22-2024, 10:12 AM
For some reason, I saw a bunch of Memphis games in person when Gay was a Grizzly. He routinely schooled Kawhi. Gay could get any shot he wanted over a defensive beast.
I think that's part of the reason the Spurs got him. Branham is nowhere near that on his best day.

Branham has a LOT to overcome to stick in this league. His defense will never be decent, and, his offensive skills need improvement and he needs to get better at knowing what is going on. I feel for him, honestly.
He's floundering, but, has time to grow. Spurs will keep him for another year before they punt. Seems like a very personable kid. Seems like he needs to dig a little deeper. Some of us have that gear and some don't.

Again, I hope he carves out a place in the league.

The Truth #6
01-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Branham needs to regroup and self assess. Sadly, spraying some of Manu's pixie dust on him is not going to be enough.

JeffDuncan
01-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Branham needs G league time with some intense coaching about what he needs to do and how to do it. The NBA level of play is too much for him at the moment, mostly mentally. There are certainly worse athletes in the league.

Gagnrath
01-23-2024, 11:22 AM

He liked mid range in Sacramento when he was regularly beating guys off the dribble. Gay was always a guy who really needed to be a number 2 option on a very good team before he started to decline. He didn't really get sharing the ball as a number 1 while he was in Sacramento and with Memphis, Those were good teams that mostly didn't have the right coach and luck. Also for the first couple of years both gasol and gay were to young. Not sure really why gay never bought into the defense mentality of that team.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-24-2024, 05:15 AM
He liked mid range in Sacramento when he was regularly beating guys off the dribble. Gay was always a guy who really needed to be a number 2 option on a very good team before he started to decline. He didn't really get sharing the ball as a number 1 while he was in Sacramento and with Memphis, Those were good teams that mostly didn't have the right coach and luck. Also for the first couple of years both gasol and gay were to young. Not sure really why gay never bought into the defense mentality of that team.

I watched a bunch of Rudy Gay Memphis to see exactly what he looked like. He would drive to the basket but was much much more inclined to pull up for mid range or body his way through contactusing his length to finish because he was not beating guys to the spot.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-24-2024, 05:23 AM
You should have just said “yes i was talking about spurs rudy gay” instead of making progressively worse arguments like “grr you probably never even watched him play”

and today i learned that Michael Jordan lived in the midrange because he lacked the athletic ability to get to the rim

im not defending gay’s play style, efficiency, or effort. But invoking him as an athlete in the same class as branham is lunacy

You could have just said you were going to ignore arguments you have no answer for. I mean I was talking about his time in Memphis and your formally trained in argumentation ass blithely claims I am only talking about his later years.

You like doing things like this which are really bad in objective arguments. It makes it really hard to believe you could pass the bar and near certain you suck at your job unless you are a glorified paralegal for better lawyers.

As for the Michael Jordan argument, are you claiming that because Michael Jordan would go to his spots at the Bulls logo and the baseline for midrange against elite defenses means that Gay could beat plus defenders off the dribble and went too the midrange anyway?

The difference is Jordan would take what defenses gave to him and win any way he could. Gay had one inefficient way to win.

spurraider21
01-24-2024, 10:34 AM
You could have just said you were going to ignore arguments you have no answer for. I mean I was talking about his time in Memphis and your formally trained in argumentation ass blithely claims I am only talking about his later years.

You like doing things like this which are really bad in objective arguments. It makes it really hard to believe you could pass the bar and near certain you suck at your job unless you are a glorified paralegal for better lawyers.

As for the Michael Jordan argument, are you claiming that because Michael Jordan would go to his spots at the Bulls logo and the baseline for midrange against elite defenses means that Gay could beat plus defenders off the dribble and went too the midrange anyway?

The difference is Jordan would take what defenses gave to him and win any way he could. Gay had one inefficient way to win.
i didn’t ignore your argument. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt i tried assuming you weren’t going to say something as obviously wrong as Memphis gay and current branham being similar level athletes

FuzzyLumpkins
01-24-2024, 10:47 AM
i didn’t ignore your argument. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt i tried assuming you weren’t going to say something as obviously wrong as Memphis gay and current branham being similar level athletes

So you ignore all the arguments and double down on the smarmy presumption. Glorified indeed.

From a run, jump, shuttle perspective they are. From a size, length aspect they are not. You seem to struggle with the nuance between equivalence and similarity.

vy65
01-25-2024, 12:00 AM

Gagnrath
02-01-2024, 05:03 PM
I watched a bunch of Rudy Gay Memphis to see exactly what he looked like. He would drive to the basket but was much much more inclined to pull up for mid range or body his way through contactusing his length to finish because he was not beating guys to the spot.

Maybe you have watched those games more recently than I but from the ones I remember, there was a good amount of speed involved and a lot of athletics and length. You had a guy who was long enough to be a power forward who was playing a decent amount of 2 guard and wing when he wasn't. I will agree that we were not looking at Iverson or Parker speed on the court but you were seeing a lot of quick first step direction changes and body shielding... There was also a huge amount of first step what I will call faux drives into a mid range pull up because of the defender biting.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2024, 05:07 PM

I don't know why you think he's clearly an NBA player. He's clearly an NBA player the way Bryn Forbes was clearly an NBA player. This is not to say that the book is written on him, but he's taken a huge step backwards in year two when most players who amount to anything take a rather large step in the opposite direction.

It is anything but clear that this guy is an NBA level player.

CGD
02-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Feel like his confidence is shot. He’s not THIS bad.

MannyIsGod
02-01-2024, 05:15 PM
Feel like his confidence is shot. He’s not THIS bad.

How do we know he's not this bad? He can't defend, he can't really shoot (even last year he wasn't a great shooter) and he's not some amazing finisher so I don't understand why people think he has to magically be better than he is now. He doesn't do a single thing extremely well and he's not an athletic standout. This dude had to come in and show himself to be a great shooter the way he was in college and I've seen no indication that's the case over a year and half of watching him play.

He might just not be good.

mudd
02-01-2024, 05:27 PM
Let him play, its not like we want to win games, or send him to the g league to get some confidence. He's lucky we don't really have to win...

Seventyniner
02-01-2024, 05:28 PM
It's too early to completely close the book on Branham, but it's looking more likely than not that he is a bust given what we have seen. It's not the end of the world.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-01-2024, 06:03 PM
Maybe you have watched those games more recently than I but from the ones I remember, there was a good amount of speed involved and a lot of athletics and length. You had a guy who was long enough to be a power forward who was playing a decent amount of 2 guard and wing when he wasn't. I will agree that we were not looking at Iverson or Parker speed on the court but you were seeing a lot of quick first step direction changes and body shielding... There was also a huge amount of first step what I will call faux drives into a mid range pull up because of the defender biting.

He could get people to sell out on the closeout and get a step but even then as you say he had use his body and shoot through contact as opposed to outrun or quick anyone after.

Elite blowby quickness at that position looks like Vince Carter and Giannis. Gay was several flights of stairs back of them at his peak. Branham is a decent athlete right around as quick and fast back there too.

poopbox
02-01-2024, 07:40 PM
It's too early to completely close the book on Branham, but it's looking more likely than not that he is a bust given what we have seen. It's not the end of the world.

It's exactly the right time to close the book on Branham. The spurs have their franchise player right now, so it's time to start putting talent around him right now. Branham is the exact type of player you pull the cord on so you can get somebody else more talented in to get his minutes. Shit you can make the case it has already happened as Wesley is already on another planet than Branham defensively, and while Wesley offense isn't particularly good, neither was branhams so it doesn't even matter.

CGD
02-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Spurs should do a change of scenery swap to get little used AJ Griffin from the Hawks. Send over some SRPs.

vy65
02-01-2024, 10:10 PM
Let him play, its not like we want to win games, or send him to the g league to get some confidence. He's lucky we don't really have to win...

The dude was a fucking starter. He’s played.

The Truth #6
02-01-2024, 10:40 PM
He got such a huge opportunity in starting and had no urgency and did nothing with it. I was really hopeful for him last year. He can still improve but it will be harder with less minutes coming up unless he makes a paradigm shift with his motivation and dedication. There could be something going on behind the scenes to explain this drop off I guess, but still.

objective
02-01-2024, 11:25 PM
Spurs should do a change of scenery swap to get little used AJ Griffin from the Hawks. Send over some SRPs.

If I remember a bunch of episodes from Locked on Hawks correctly, He's been out a lot with some nebulous off court personal issue and when he was back with the team, Snyder wasn't eager to play him. Seems unlikely to be a Spurs target with that sort of unknown, potential baggage