View Full Version : Lenard issues trade request

ducks
12-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Lenard issues trade request
Veteran's lack of playing time spurs action
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

Nuggets guard Voshon Lenard wants a key role again and believes it is probably best to go elsewhere to get his wish.

Lenard said Saturday that he has asked the Nuggets to trade him. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder started the first six games this season. But he has played sparingly since, and not at all in seven games, including Saturday's contest against Miami.

"It would probably be better to try a different situation," Lenard said. "I don't want to be anywhere where I'm not wanted. I'm somebody that wants to play."

Lenard, 32, was the 2004 3-point shooting champion and entered this season averaging 12.2 points and shooting 38.6 percent from 3-point range for his career. The 11-year veteran is averaging 8.5 points and shooting 28.6 percent from 3-point range.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe is trying to accommodate Lenard, but said he doesn't have any strong trade talks going.

"I hope it gets resolved from both sides," Vandeweghe said. "The best would be that Voshon Lenard helps the Nuggets. That isn't always the way things work out in this league. He's a very good player and sometimes a situation doesn't work right."

Said Lenard: "They're going to do what's best for the organization. Right now, I'm going to continue to work hard, try to keep professionalism as much as I can. But it's hard when you know you can play and you don't play."

Lenard was available to play Saturday after serving a one-game suspension in Friday's 102-97 loss at Phoenix.

The suspension was for not returning to Wednesday's game with 17 seconds left in a 102-95 loss to New Orleans/Oklahoma City after being asked by assistant Scotty Brooks. Brooks was coaching the game in place of George Karl, who was serving a two-game suspension.

"I'm a veteran. You don't have to do me like that," Lenard said. "At the end of the game, 17 seconds? It wasn't right. I've been a veteran for 11 years in the league. I've never had an altercation with no coach or no players for 11 years. What would make me start now?"

Karl has not talked with Lenard in depth about the playing issue.

"He needs to talk to Scotty first about the situation," Karl said. "For me, I'd be glad to talk to him. I'm not procrastinating. You only have a list of priorities. Sometimes you don't get to all of them."

Footnotes

Miami center Shaquille O'Neal (right ankle sprain) missed his 15th consecutive game but plans to practice Tuesday. O'Neal could be back when the Nuggets play Friday at Miami. "I have orders from the powers not to come back until I'm 100 percent," O'Neal said. ... Nuggets center Francisco Elson missed Saturday's game because of an infection in his right foot.