PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit confused about Holmgren being considered a rookie.

Racspur1
01-26-2024, 08:20 PM
I'm assuming he got paid his actual rookie year even though he didn't play at all . The Crawsover event that led to Holmgren's injury was sanctioned by the NBA and, therefore, his contract and the money he makes will not be harmed. Does this mean he was already signed by OKC ? If so I would technically consider him a rookie out for the season but still a rookie since he is getting paid for the season . I'm not dumping on Holmgren but if he is under contract and getting paid , he unfortunately lost out on his rookie year . What would have happened to his rookie status if the injury had happened in his first game of the season he had gotten hurt during the first minute of his first game ? How about if it happened during his first pre-season game. Would he have still been considered a rookie ? Again I'm not ragging on Holmgren but maybe I'm ragging on a rule . Or maybe I'm just overthinking this too much . Any thoughts on this or should I just shut up and sit down and enjoy my beer(s) :drunk:drunk:drunk

baseline bum
01-26-2024, 08:36 PM
I think there is a threshold of like 10 games or less a rookie can play, get hurt, and miss the season but still be considered for rookie of the year and rookie of the month awards the next season.

Mr. Body
01-26-2024, 08:59 PM
Blake Griffen win ROY after missing his first year.

FkLA
01-26-2024, 09:05 PM
Ben Simmons/Donovan Mitchell ROY race

Racspur1
01-26-2024, 09:06 PM
I think there is a threshold of like 10 games or less a rookie can play, get hurt, and miss the season but still be considered for rookie of the year and rookie of the month awards the next season.

Thanks but that seems unfair to a player coming in the following years rookie class . After all they are getting paid anyway that first year . No award but plenty of money if ... they are under contract. A team can retain their draft pick for two years but I don't feel they should be considered rookies and get paid for bad luck . No pay = no awards . Never mind , My beer is calling me anyway so there's that !!! :drunk:drunk:drunk:drunk

spurraider21
01-26-2024, 09:18 PM
i dont know what the NBA's threshold is. i know it happens all the time in baseball where somebody plays a few games, then wins rookie of the year following season

but chet didnt play a single regular season minute last year.

i can see the technical argument, but its his first real nba action (preseason games dont count in statbook, etc). im fine with it tbh. like ok, he was paid last year. but he didnt play nba basketball last year

Dverde
01-26-2024, 09:22 PM
I believe Chet was healthy enough to play towards the very end of the season, but OKC decided to hold him out for the remainder of the season.

Arcadian
01-26-2024, 09:39 PM
I don't know, but it doesn't matter because Chet has zero chance of winning RotY over Victor.

spurraider21
01-26-2024, 09:41 PM
I don't know, but it doesn't matter because Chet has zero chance of winning RotY over Victor.
vic still weighed down by the start of the year when he was playing the 4 and putting up way too many jumpers off the dribble, and not playing alongside a point guard

Tyronn Lue
01-26-2024, 10:22 PM
If Chet played for free he's still a rookie. Not playing means not playing, not a rookie.

james evans
01-26-2024, 10:24 PM
this isn't new. The same happened to Speedy Claxton when he was drafted to philly and Blake Griffin.

Racspur1
01-26-2024, 11:16 PM

:bobo

Chinook
01-27-2024, 12:03 AM
Pretty sure it has to be zero games. For example, Randle wasn't a rookie when he came back even though he got injured during the very first game.

mudyez
01-27-2024, 12:14 AM
As long as he is serving Rookie duties like getting Donuts and Teenies for Giddey I'm ok with it.

He should not win ROTY because Wemby is simply superior. Thats all. But I'm still nervous, because some media clowns seem willing to force the american white hope on us.

ismael-robert
01-27-2024, 12:16 AM
They're gaining nba level knowledge, studying plays, getting best physical and development training in world for that whole year...I'm sure they're working with shooting coach, etc...I agree unfair advantage

z0stix
01-27-2024, 12:40 AM
his rookie cards are from 22-23 ��#♂️

Tyronn Lue
01-27-2024, 01:09 AM
They're gaining nba level knowledge, studying plays, getting best physical and development training in world for that whole year...I'm sure they're working with shooting coach, etc...I agree unfair advantage
There's actual criteria for being considered a rookie. I'm confident no one goes to the forums and asks the asshats there.

z0sa
01-27-2024, 01:45 AM
I see it this way - Wemby should amazing enough to win without a technicality being called.

Chet’s good - with the potential to be great. Wemby is on another level entirely and has every big man since WILT on notice.

slick'81
01-27-2024, 02:04 AM
Chet got an xtra year to lift and study the game directly . Wemby's still a better player

Pauleta14
01-27-2024, 08:52 AM
Did it ever happened before Blake Griffin?

It's so absurd that it looks like an exception for a spectacular player became a rule

KobesAchilles
01-27-2024, 10:34 AM
I’m more confused on how the media thinks Chet is better than Wemby. Dude is the 3rd option on his team and is playing next to the MVP of the league (or second if you choose Embiid over him). Yet somehow so many media members are saying he’s rookie of the year bc he’s playing meaningful minutes. Theyre only meaningful bc of Shay. That’s confusing.

Racspur1
01-27-2024, 11:13 AM
As long as he is serving Rookie duties like getting Donuts and Teenies for Giddey I'm ok with it.:rollin:D

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-27-2024, 11:39 AM
Chet's awesome and I wish the Spurs had him. but Wemby is at least 2 tiers above him right now and hasn't gotten started yet

koriwhat
01-27-2024, 02:08 PM
Did this bs start with Greg Oden? I can't remember exactly but it's definitely one of those "everyone gets a participation trophy" type rule change tbh. Chet isn't a rookie this yr but treated as one for whatever reason. I don't know any rookies who got to sit a year on a professional NBA teams bench, in their watch room, in their locker room, in their practice facility, etc... Shit's ridiculous to say the least but the NBA has been pretty ridiculous for some time now.