PDA

View Full Version : Keldon Johnson

SpursGenius
01-29-2024, 10:26 PM
Total jag. Dribbles in and turns over. Terrible handles. Please trade this guy. Can’t believe we gave this chump $80 million

FkLA
01-29-2024, 10:35 PM
Should never do anything other than spot up in crunchtime. Him putting his head down and vomiting all over himself is getting old. Wouldn't be opposed to trading him while he still has some value.

Mr. Body
01-29-2024, 10:38 PM
If you ever think about starting a low effort idiotic thread like this, take a moment and stop.

Pauleta14
01-29-2024, 10:44 PM
Probably in the minority again but I like Keldon a lot

Ok he's a bad decisison maker, but he's a dawg who never hides and always agressive. U don't teach that

He's young and can only get better/wiser ...

Tonight he was good, 3 steals 50% shooting, he just messed up towards the end like everybody else

baseline bum
01-29-2024, 10:55 PM
Should never do anything other than spot up in crunchtime. Him putting his head down and vomiting all over himself is getting old. Wouldn't be opposed to trading him while he still has some value.

Would move him and the Chicago pick for Dejounte

CapitalEmm
01-30-2024, 08:40 AM
I have a bigger problem with Vassells shot selection down the stretch tbh

Keldon is an issue too but I can give him the benefit of the doubt since at least maybe he’ll bait a foul. Devin has the same issue Derozan has where his game doesn’t translate to closing out games.

Frenchfred
01-30-2024, 08:52 AM
Would move him and the Chicago pick for Dejounte

no way Atlanta accept that. I'm sure that they would want at least two of their picks back

baseline bum
01-30-2024, 09:11 AM
no way Atlanta accept that. I'm sure that they would want at least two of their picks back

That's way above Murray's trade value, they might as well hope the Spurs trade them Wemby. They want their picks back they need to be talking Trae, not Dejounte.

hater
01-30-2024, 03:09 PM
Seems like a nice guy but is a 16th man at best

SouthernFryd
01-30-2024, 06:57 PM
Champagnie and Sochan are 2 bigger issues than Keldon. Much bigger.

spurraider21
01-30-2024, 08:42 PM
Keldon is what he is

kht
01-30-2024, 09:17 PM
Keldon is a number 3 on a title team. Plus he seems like a good locker room guy.

poopbox
01-30-2024, 09:20 PM
Keldon is a number 3 on a title team. Plus he seems like a good locker room guy.

So you telling me if Keldon went to Boston he would be the 3rd featured player after Brown and Tatum :lol

3rd featured player after Jokic and Murray :lol

3rd featured player after Paul George and Kawhi :lol

Clippers going to be like Harden you got to go to the bench so we can play Keldon more :lol

Keldon won't ever be on a title team cause every title team already has a one way chucker who does nothing but chuck.

spurraider21
01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
The #3 SF on a championship team

The Truth #6
01-30-2024, 09:48 PM
Devin seems like 4th best on a title team; Keldon 5th or 6th. Our #1 is so awesome though we may just need an All Star and borderline All Star. But easier said than done. Hopefully VW has more of a Tim career than David.

scott
01-30-2024, 10:12 PM
Indeed, Keldon will look better when he isn't relied upon the way he is here. This assumes he won't try to hero ball it when his role is more appropriately sized to his skill set.

pacho
01-30-2024, 11:00 PM
It's not only the turnover. He was also insanely lost on defense a couple of times

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2024, 05:07 AM
and1 every time he goes into the lane when theres no contact...fck this clown

Rocalcio
01-31-2024, 06:58 AM
Total jag. Dribbles in and turns over. Terrible handles. Please trade this guy. Can’t believe we gave this chump $80 million

Was it absolutely necessary to create a new thread with just his name to post this ? You could have just post it in an existing thread.

SouthernFryd
01-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Until Spurs get an offense, they will need a guy like Keldon. "Just give it to Keldon and get out of the way."

When a team becomes a playoff contender, you don't want a black hole like him. But, until then, and especially on the 2nd unit...just give it to Keldon until Wemby comes back.

Knoxxx
01-31-2024, 08:39 AM
Keldon is generally doing want we want him to do off the bench in being aggressive. Too single him out as the only Spurs player doing stupid stuff would be giving the rest of the team way too much credit. Compared to Vassell’s contract, in general I am OK with what we get from Keldon by comparison. And, if we want to package any draft picks and players he is one of our best assets for that. One thing I do like is the way high release on his 3 ball. He can almost always get it off shooting it that way and when he’s on it’s pretty pure.

The negatives are he’s way undersized for his position, needs to get more consistent on that 3 ball, and like most the team is mostly clueless on defense.

Overall I see him as a slightly over achieving Mario Elie type of player, and a good Spur.

FkLA
02-07-2024, 10:09 PM
I'm so ready for the Spurs to move on from him. He just doesn't fit. His style of play is frustrating to watch. Seems like a great dude with a contagious personality but at the end of the day it's a business, tbh.

TheBallsbreakers
02-07-2024, 10:17 PM
Made a couple of unforgivable blunders on defense today, which is a microcosm for how he's been playing this season.

vy65
02-07-2024, 10:36 PM
Strikes me as a low iq chucker

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-07-2024, 10:57 PM
i'd say #5 on a deep title team, #4 on a top-heavy 2 mvp quality starters team

potential to be #3 on title team if he keeps improving as he has been

maaaaaaaaaybe #2 if he has a final form we haven't seen

--

*pretty sure he maxes out as #4 on title team

z0sa
02-07-2024, 11:46 PM

--

Pretty much this tbh. His best chance on a title team is a sixth man who can punish opposing benches and who can maybe get hot in a couple of games in the playoffs to pull out wins we shouldn't get on the road, etc.

exstatic
02-08-2024, 07:38 AM
They’re asking him to do more than he’s capable of. He should never initiate the offense.

RC_Drunkford
02-08-2024, 08:05 AM

--

lol that's way too generous. #5, not more than that. He's a certified role or bench player

FkLA
02-08-2024, 08:44 PM
They’re asking him to do more than he’s capable of. He should never initiate the offense.

He doesn't know how to play any other way. He's a black hole.

EDIT: just finished the last few mins of the first half, holy shit his style of play is so cancerous

benefactor
02-08-2024, 08:57 PM
He doesn't know how to play any other way. He's a black hole.

EDIT: just finished the last few mins of the first half, holy shit his style of play is so cancerous
I've already said it a couple of times. He doesn't fit or belong on this team. Honestly, I wish they would have shopped him at the deadline

Mr. Peabody
02-08-2024, 09:35 PM
The ball quits moving once it gets to Keldon.

spurraider21
02-08-2024, 09:40 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/beea43c88a97dcf23a75d8ea1111c53a.png

Chinook
02-08-2024, 09:45 PM
Eye-balling it, that probably coincides with Jones getting the starting spot and eventually Keldon moving to the bench. Looks like Keldon had some talent as a connector in the PG-less lineup but is probably struggling to find a place as a sixth man.

FkLA
02-08-2024, 10:50 PM
It's also pretty stupid of Pop to make a guy with no handles or shot creation ability your scoring 6th man. Guaranteed Pop is telling him something along the lines of "we need you to be ultra aggressive KJ".

He needs to play off the more talented playmakers on the team. He really should be strictly a spot up shooter 90% of the time. Cuts and drives off hard closeouts the rest of time. He has no business dancing around with the ball or initiating anything.

offset formation
02-10-2024, 06:05 AM
Pretty much this tbh. His best chance on a title team is a sixth man who can punish opposing benches and who can maybe get hot in a couple of games in the playoffs to pull out wins we shouldn't get on the road, etc.

Of course the problem is that Keldon is just as likely to not even attempt to close out on a 3 pt shot that's his responsibility or not playing backside help defense whatsoever giving up an easy layup/dunk.

His defense is an abomination and often takes more than his offensive game gives.

I say you sell high on Keldon now, while the general concensus is that he's one of our future core players.

Robz4000
02-10-2024, 06:16 AM
Still feel in the long run Keldon will be an elite 6th man tbh.

Gagnrath
02-10-2024, 07:13 AM
Of course the problem is that Keldon is just as likely to not even attempt to close out on a 3 pt shot that's his responsibility or not playing backside help defense whatsoever giving up an easy layup/dunk.

His defense is an abomination and often takes more than his offensive game gives.

I say you sell high on Keldon now, while the general concensus is that he's one of our future core players.

Thing is he's not stupid and he follows direction he looked pretty decent at fitting in on the Team USA team and actually appeared to be doing ok work on defense. Not great on defense but ok. He needs someone who can pull some focus off of him and leave a path to the basket. He also has to learn to keep his head up in case he gets stopped on the way to the rim. For real what would be ideal is get a pvc wall and have him run with moving J-Co players all summer. Its silly he's not a bad passer he just needs to learn to keep his head up when he's going to the rim.

I have way more issues with his defense, he's not good enough to slack on defense and he's not big enough and quick enough to be more than adequate at his position.

JPB
02-10-2024, 08:04 AM
Patience, people.

Pop is still pounding the rock with Keldon and teaching him fundamentals in his fifth NBA year, to will him into the player he wants and will be around Wemby forever. And it's all fun!

You guys just don't know BB.

CGD
02-10-2024, 09:06 AM
Isn’t it amazing that Keldon was the 29th overall pick?

FkLA
02-14-2024, 11:07 PM
They're going to end up moving on when it's too late and the entire NBA realizes what most of us have already come to see. He's vomiting all over himself on his bull rush drives more and more. His defense is bad. The only skill I still somewhat believe in is his spot up shooting and even that hasn't been falling. He's losing value by the day.

z0sa
02-14-2024, 11:10 PM
Keldon definitely IS losing value, unfortunately. When he has those big rebounding games, he shows what he's actually capable of, which makes his standard version look ass. Also, he's brainless on D. Just tuned out, not incapable. I blame the coaching for most of these guys' extremely fixable mental gameplay issues.

jermaine
02-15-2024, 07:45 AM
He's worse in person than he is on TV. Wtf did the Spurs organization see in this fool

widowmaker
02-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Yeah I had high hopes but he’s not ready for the big time.

poopbox
02-15-2024, 08:19 AM
Keldon definitely IS losing value, unfortunately. When he has those big rebounding games, he shows what he's actually capable of, which makes his standard version look ass. Also, he's brainless on D. Just tuned out, not incapable. I blame the coaching for most of these guys' extremely fixable mental gameplay issues.

I don't think Keldon has very much value. Anybody who watches him play can see he has limited talent and is just a chucker. At best you can get rid of him without giving up something but nobody is going to be in a hurry to give up something valuable for a 29th pick who doesn't do anything on the court but chuck. Almost every team has a player or two who does that so why would they want Keldon?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2024, 08:28 AM
Keldon has been in his role for a month and done okay. It's a new role with lesser talent around him and people not only act surprised, but instead use to bash. This is not Sochan at PG.

This notion that he is just a chucker is asinine. He scores a fair amount of his points bodying people in the paint.

And just straight up :lol at complaining about him taking shots with that second unit. I guess you want Branham or Barlow taking them.

onechance87
02-15-2024, 08:30 AM
All keldon needs to do is make open shots and play some decent d...Hes so inconsistent as well as mostly
everyone on this team.

JPB
02-15-2024, 08:31 AM
They're going to end up moving on when it's too late and the entire NBA realizes what most of us have already come to see. He's vomiting all over himself on his bull rush drives more and more. His defense is bad. The only skill I still somewhat believe in is his spot up shooting and even that hasn't been falling. He's losing value by the day.

:lol for real

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2024, 08:58 AM
Patience, people.

Pop is still pounding the rock with Keldon and teaching him fundamentals in his fifth NBA year, to will him into the player he wants and will be around Wemby forever. And it's all fun!

You guys just don't know BB.

Popovich generally has three lineups, starters, bench, and finishing crew. KJ had been on the starting crew but now is in a new role. That role does not only effect him. Champagnie, wo was one of the higher basketball IQ players on the bench is now moved to the starting role.

I get it is fun to dumb things down to fixating on KJ but that is not how things work. There are plenty of moving parts where Osman, Collins, Branham, Barlow, et al. are adjusting as well. Shocking he doesn't know where everyone is going to be, how they cut and move, etc. :rolleyes

Moreso, the closing crew does not have a lot of experience in this iteration either. We actually have been closing out a lot better lately. Yet we run into a more experienced and talented team and that unit struggles and we see you with the woe is we routine.

ambchang
02-15-2024, 10:23 AM
I don't think Keldon has very much value. Anybody who watches him play can see he has limited talent and is just a chucker. At best you can get rid of him without giving up something but nobody is going to be in a hurry to give up something valuable for a 29th pick who doesn't do anything on the court but chuck. Almost every team has a player or two who does that so why would they want Keldon?

Jordan Poole?

MultiTroll
02-15-2024, 10:35 AM
Would this be a GOAT coach error? :wow

spurraider21
02-15-2024, 02:54 PM
11 FGA and 8 of them were 3's

thats not keldon's game

exstatic
02-15-2024, 06:13 PM
Would this be a GOAT coach error? :wow

It’s a function of really only having Tre that can initiate. Anyone else will struggle, and we’ve seen that.

poopbox
02-16-2024, 03:29 PM
Jordan Poole?
What useful thing did GS get for Poole.

ambchang
02-16-2024, 09:32 PM
What useful thing did GS get for Poole.

Chris Paul. And also getting rid of Poole?

tbdog
02-26-2024, 06:35 AM
Johnson was benched today after fouling Markkanen on a three point attempt in the first quarter. He didn't play again.

get_mills_out
02-26-2024, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/H7TWtEsDN7Y

I mean sure Keldon was a step late getting over the screen, then made it worse by fouling

But what was the actual gameplan here? Deep drop coverage on a pindown screen against a 40% shooter from 3? Even if Keldon had played it perfectly you're giving Markannen a live dribble with his man on his back and Devin Vassell standing on the block as the only thing between him and the basket? Not to mention if the screener hadn't been trying to draw a foul, he'd be standing alone in the corner.

Raven
02-26-2024, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/H7TWtEsDN7Y

I mean sure Keldon was a step late getting over the screen, then made it worse by fouling

But what was the actual gameplan here? Deep drop coverage on a pindown screen against a 40% shooter from 3? Even if Keldon had played it perfectly you're giving Markannen a live dribble with his man on his back and Devin Vassell standing on the block as the only thing between him and the basket? Not to mention if the screener hadn't been trying to draw a foul, he'd be standing alone in the corner.

it is not clear what his ideal scenario was there, block a 7 footer over the body of an opponent, without jumping? That foul is legitimately brain dead

ginobilized
02-26-2024, 12:23 PM
Keldon has seemed to be mentally unaware the past few games. His benching was probably a cumulative response.
Who knows what Pop has been telling him and the team about fouling 3pt shooters. There seems to be something going on with KJ right now.

rjv
02-26-2024, 12:29 PM
KJ was also awful defending three point shooting against the Lakers. he kept cheating and couldn't get back in time to defend, giving up great looks almost every time.

RC_Drunkford
02-26-2024, 01:10 PM
Pop's new shtick :lol Like the rest of the team plays any better