PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Jan. 31, 2024

timvp
02-02-2024, 06:24 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/2024-spurs-magic-grades-48/

Spurs Homer
02-02-2024, 10:47 AM
It has been a couple of games or more where I also thought wemby might have hit the rookie wall..

he does look a little off and looks sluggish and a tick slower than usual...

IMO - pop dropped the ball all season by subbing him out after 5-6 minutes and have him sit out the entire rest of the quarters.
Had pop re-inserted him in and out after only two game minutes on the bench...

by now maybe wembys body would have adjusted and gotten used to heavier minutes and built up his stamina.

Instead, wemby still is only used to no more than 20-25 minutes per game and back to backs still take a toll.
20 years old and pop manages him as if he is 39.

The Truth #6
02-02-2024, 11:44 AM
So to fix the rookie wall Pop should have played him more? I suppose there's no easy answer. But Pop's sole goal this year has been letting VW adjust without expectations or too many minutes to risk injury. Yeah, it seems a bit much but feels like part of a soft tank to get another high draft pick. There's a logic to it.

SouthernFryd
02-02-2024, 11:49 AM
I have not seen a game, where Champagnie should not have received an F. For him to basically receive the same grade as Wemby? Seriously?

The result of way too low expectations?

Ocotillo
02-02-2024, 12:09 PM
I see it is now Champagnie's turn in the barrel. Justifiably so, he is a deep bench guy at the best who is starting. Replacing him with an NBA level small forward will help this team tremendously. Now does that player come via the upcoming draft or will there be an off-season trade. I don't see them making a trade deadline deal to bring in that wing.

spurs10
02-02-2024, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the grades. Hopefully we play better against NOP, but they beat us pretty good last time if I remember correctly. However, that can be said of most teams. We had a great comeback and I got excited there...for a moment.

freetiago
02-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Osman should be the starting SF or even Keldon tbh. Playing a guy every game 20+ mins who you don’t even know if he can make 1 single field goal the majority of the games is just bad. They could find some D league trash who would produce more

wildbill2u
02-02-2024, 02:31 PM
Maybe Pop is grooming Champagnie for a deeper role on the bench. He doesn't belong on the starter five. You cannot build a cohesive starting five with including this guy. I'm looking around for a replacement on our current roster for this spot and am coming up with Keldon, much as I hate it. If he could be controlled by reminding him that a move back to the starting five doesn't give him a license to hero ball, then maybe the demotion worked.

RC_Drunkford
02-02-2024, 04:16 PM
Osman should be the starting SF or even Keldon tbh. Playing a guy every game 20+ mins who you don’t even know if he can make 1 single field goal the majority of the games is just bad. They could find some D league trash who would produce more

that's exactly what Champagnie is. Where do you think have they found him?