PDA

View Full Version : unpopular opinion on Trae Young

Kawhi Duncan
02-03-2024, 06:26 PM
I know many of you think he would be great for the team, but I disagree...players with his play style always look better than they really are because they always have the ball in his hands...for example Steph could have had insane scoring and assist numbers when he was in his prime if he held the ball all possession...but it would have been to the detriment of his team and ppl would be saying "Steph needs help" instead of saying "Steph has a ton of talent around him" because we would have never seen the emergence of Draymond, as he would have been relegated to a spot up shooter, thus wouldn't have gotten minutes...Klay wouldn't have been Klay because he wouldn't have had the opportunity to get the ball as much and build a rhythm game to game...he would have been just another inconsistent spot up shooter (anyone who plays with ball dominant types usually end up being inconsistent shooters because they rarely get to be part of the offense enough to build a rhythm)

trae has never, ever made anyone better...he made players one dimensional and dependent on him...they either shoot or catch lobs...none has ever grown other aspects of their game...so while he will find Wemby a ton on lobs, thats not what we need to win a ring...we don't need a Rudy Robert who can shoot the occasional 3...thats not a generational talent...wemby has the potential to be Jokic mixed with Giannis, mixed with KD...he will simply be a taller christian wood if he plays with trae...or a better example is Porzingis when he played with Luka...by time they reached the playoffs, dude was relegated to being a spot up shooter and only got 10 shots per game, and was made to be the scapegoat because Lukas stats will always look good due to him always having the ball combined with his talent level...good for the player, bad for the team and teammate development...

same issue with lebron his entire career...dude constantly needed an OP tam simply to compete and has never built up a young player...Kyrie was already a multi-time all star by time he played with him...Austin Reeves was a spot up shooter until lebron was "injured" and they realized he could actually do more...every other young player was either traded or didn't develop at all...he has had the most help in NBA history, yet the mantra around him is always "look at lebron's stats! he needs more help!"...players like that have enough help, they just make their teammates inconsistent and one dimensional due to their playstyle

I say all that to say...no Trae Young PLEASE!

Mr. Body
02-03-2024, 06:39 PM
It's no surprise that his teams are always mediocre. Like many of us say, a heliocentric guard is a tough sell. Even GSW ran lots of sets that depended on a different hub (Draymond) and not just Curry pounding the crap out of the ball. I don't even know how that kind of player works in Pop's system. You can say 'fuck Pop's system,' but the amount of ball movement and generated assists would crater with a high-usage guard.

And you may say 'fuck a ball movement system,' but then... high-usage Trae doesn't help Atlanta, does it?

Not to mention how his teammates seem to hate him.

MultiTroll
02-03-2024, 07:00 PM
I know many of you think he would be great for the team,
Who are there posters?
Apparantly i've missed these post.
I don't know any who have said Trae Young would be great for this team.

No.
Just no.

K...
02-03-2024, 07:12 PM
Your hot take that trae Y is mid is hardly controversial, but the old ass lebron slander from 2014 is stale. Lebron is an all time great who expoloits the CBA to build super teams. Hes a HOF guy despite the team wrecking shit.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-03-2024, 09:34 PM
TLDR

I recommend three sentences or less per paragraph as opposed to walls of text.

Ariel
02-03-2024, 11:19 PM
I think I'd rather gamble on Dillingham with the Toronto pick, than significantly overpay for Trae.

rankingtear
02-03-2024, 11:49 PM
I mean he is a heliocentric guy with bad defense.

TD 21
02-03-2024, 11:57 PM
I suspect the only way they'd even consider it is if he wants to be a Spur. If he just wants out in general but prefers the typical big/glamor markets, I don't even think they'll really bother.

baseline bum
02-03-2024, 11:58 PM
I think I'd rather gamble on Dillingham with the Toronto pick, than significantly overpay for Trae.

Might not get the Toronto pick and even if they do I'm not sold Dillingham will still be on the board when the Spurs would make that pick. But Risacher or Williams plus Dillingham or Sheppard would be really nice. Or even better the #1 pick for Sarr and trade him for a vet.

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 10:59 AM
Your hot take that trae Y is mid is hardly controversial, but the old ass lebron slander from 2014 is stale. Lebron is an all time great who expoloits the CBA to build super teams. Hes a HOF guy despite the team wrecking shit.

He is a great player... What does that have to do with the facts stated? That his playstyle has never developed younger players and the only reason he was able to counter that weakness to get rings is to surround himself with already great players and overwhelm teams with lesser talent? Wemby isn't a finished product... He needs ppl around him that can help him grow his game... Not make him one dimensional and dependent on a high usage player passing him the ball...

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 10:59 AM
Who are there posters?
Apparantly i've missed these post.
I don't know any who have said Trae Young would be great for this team.

No.
Just no.

I made the same post on Reddit and ppl overwhelmingly want Trae... Same on YouTube

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 11:00 AM
TLDR

I recommend three sentences or less per paragraph as opposed to walls of text.

Sorry

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 11:07 AM
Tbh I'm not even sure a PG is out first priority... I think we need a wing with star potential... Vassel is too low IQ, and frankly can't see him as the 2nd option to a championship team... But maybe a 3rd or 4th... Tre Jones is a low-usage elite passer... 4-1 assist/turnover ratio is almost double Tre Young, and his almost 50% shooting eclipses Trae's 43%... He is a good starting PG for a team that requires the ball to be in the hands of Wemby and any other young budding star wing we can get in the draft or via trade... Huge reason Brandon Miller has actually started to look better with Lamelo out

exstatic
02-04-2024, 11:17 AM
Tbh I'm not even sure a PG is out first priority... I think we need a wing with star potential... Vassel is too low IQ, and frankly can't see him as the 2nd option to a championship team... But maybe a 3rd or 4th... Tre Jones is a low-usage elite passer... 4-1 assist/turnover ratio is almost double Tre Young, and his almost 50% shooting eclipses Trae's 43%... He is a good starting PG for a team that requires the ball to be in the hands of Wemby and any other young budding star wing we can get in the draft or via trade... Huge reason Brandon Miller has actually started to look better with Lamelo out

We have tre, and no one else. When he missed a recent game, we got blown out. Our top need is PG.

Joseph Kony
02-04-2024, 11:20 AM
:lol this is not an unpopular opinion at all

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 11:28 AM
We have tre, and no one else. When he missed a recent game, we got blown out. Our top need is PG.

Disagree... He is the exact type of PG we need for a team that is developing young stars.... The league is dominated now by bigs and tall wings... They're the ones who win championships more than anyone else... Find a decent backup for Trae, or a cheap starter that can run the team like CP3... but the absolute focus should be finding a second star level wing or draft and develop one that has star potential... Getting a "star" PG like Trae Young will only take the ball out of the hands of the players that need to be developed in order for us to win rings again... Making our potential star wing stand at the 3 point line waiting for a Trae Young pass isn't gonna develop anyone or win rings... Never has

TD 21
02-04-2024, 11:35 AM
PG is the greater need because although Johnson maybe more suited for 6th man and Champagnie for fringe rotation, that's still better than backup Jones and replacement players Wesley and Branham.

R. DeMurre
02-04-2024, 11:41 AM
It's no surprise that his teams are always mediocre. Like many of us say, a heliocentric guard is a tough sell.

I mean he is a heliocentric guy with bad defense.

An undersized heliocentric guard with bad defense and a career 3pt% that's closer to Westbrook's than it is to Steph's...

John B
02-04-2024, 12:44 PM
Not a popular take, but I’m rooting for Blake Wesley to develop his offensive game more and take the starting PG position. Already Blake is an elite POA defender, next only to Wemby. He has the first-step to breakdown defenses and create open shots. He needs shooting, and finishing in the rim.

I’m not against drafting a PG. But if Spurs got the #1 pick, I’m drafting Sarr and not a PG. Last night was evident that the Spurs are too short (besides Wemby). Spurs need another tall defensive athletic PF/C to help Wemby. Wemby needs a Brooks Lopez-like against Embiid, Zion, Garett.

I like Risacher or Topic, but I’d take Sarr first, develop Wesley and see where he is by end of this season. And I would definitely slide Sochan to SF and Vassell to SG, and bring a big body next to Wemby at PF/C position.

exstatic
02-04-2024, 01:01 PM
Not a popular take, but I’m rooting for Blake Wesley to develop his offensive game more and take the starting PG position. Already Blake is an elite POA defender, next only to Wemby. He has the first-step to breakdown defenses and create open shots. He needs shooting, and finishing in the rim.

I’m not against drafting a PG. But if Spurs got the #1 pick, I’m drafting Sarr and not a PG. Last night was evident that the Spurs are too short (besides Wemby). Spurs need another tall defensive athletic PF/C to help Wemby. Wemby needs a Brooks Lopez-like against Embiid, Zion, Garett.

I like Risacher or Topic, but I’d take Sarr first, develop Wesley and see where he is by end of this season. And I would definitely slide Sochan to SF and Vassell to SG, and bring a big body next to Wemby at PF/C position.

He’s not a PF, and we’ve seen what happens when pairing Wemby with a non shooting big. It isn’t pretty..

mo7888
02-04-2024, 02:25 PM

I'd take Risacher first.... that said, if we landed the top pick I'd canvas the trade market for a vet or moving back just a tad..

JPB
02-04-2024, 02:52 PM
I made the same post on Reddit and ppl overwhelmingly want Trae... Same on YouTube

social media, casual fans, flashy players.

Fairly sure few here would welcome Trae in SA. Spurs don't need to put a self-centered, bad attitude, bad teammate ball hog in Wemby's legs. You mostly want Victor to have the ball in his hands and have the most shoots.

We're already mumbling on Devin or Sochan freezing Vic, so imagine Trae.

JPB
02-04-2024, 02:59 PM

Yeah, besides the fact he can't shoot or finish... he'd be perfect.

No offense, but If Blake is our starter down the road, something went wrong...

CorrectCrusader
02-04-2024, 04:08 PM
Y'all are crazy. Trae would be fantastic with Wemby.

Anto210
02-04-2024, 04:25 PM
Trae with Wemby would be fantastic, though surely there'll be other options available when it's time.

MarCowMar
02-04-2024, 04:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqIzDJmA1k

I see a lot to like here tbh... Clearly is a willing passer who understands something our young guns don't: it's fun to throw lobs to talented bigs who run the court and get in position.

His shot selection is bad. Teams pack the paint and bait him into taking low percentage 3s. After the miss he neglets to run back for defense. Pop would likely prohibit him from taking any long balls till his shot selection evened out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUehzktmv70

Unless there is a character or temperament issue (stubbornness, arrogance), those things are fixable.

Call me crazy but I could see a Wemby/Young being the second iteration of an Iverson/Mutombo build. A catch-all shotblocker is the pairing needed to optimize the game of the pint-sized, ball dominant guard. The weak defense of the guard baits people into driving into the shotblocker, while the shotblocker frees the guard up to gamble for steals and leak out for fast breaks.

Basically guards don't have to play perfect defense w/Wemby--just contest the three. It's almost a positive if they let someone by because then they've funneled the ball handler between themselves and Wemby.

If we could get him at a low cost it'd be a fun early career experiment with Wemby.

JPB
02-04-2024, 04:52 PM

Trae with Wemby would be fantastic, though surely there'll be other options available when it's time.

Trae is no Curry. He doesn't make others better. As long as they put another star next to him, Atlanta regressed. They went from 43-39, to 41-41 after the Murray trade and are 22-27 now, and that's after 4 game winning streak...

Trae just likes Trae, wouldn't match with Wemby. I don't see those two developing any kind of chemistry. Noises from Atlanta locker room are really not friendly to Young.

JPB
02-04-2024, 05:10 PM

I see a lot to like here tbh... Clearly is a willing passer who understands something our young guns don't: it's fun to throw lobs to talented bigs who run the court and get in position.

His shot selection is bad. Teams pack the paint and bait him into taking low percentage 3s. After the miss he neglets to run back for defense. Pop would likely prohibit him from taking any long balls till his shot selection evened out.

Unless there is a character or temperament issue (stubbornness, arrogance), those things are fixable.

Call me crazy but I could see a Wemby/Young being the second iteration of an Iverson/Mutombo build. A catch-all shotblocker is the pairing needed to optimize the game of the pint-sized, ball dominant guard. The weak defense of the guard baits people into driving into the shotblocker, while the shotblocker frees the guard up to gamble for steals and leak out for fast breaks.

Basically guards don't have to play perfect defense w/Wemby--just contest the three. It's almost a positive if they let someone by because then they've funneled the ball handler between themselves and Wemby.

If we could get him at a low cost it'd be a fun early career experiment with Wemby.

You don't wanna make Wemby some second banana, no offensive game Mutombo to Trae, you wanna make Wemby your Iverson.

exstatic
02-04-2024, 05:26 PM
You don't wanna make Wemby some second banana, no offensive game Mutombo to Trae, you wanna make Wemby your Iverson.

Not to mention that Iverson/Mutombo won ZERO rings.

TD 21
02-04-2024, 05:31 PM
:lmao At the old RINGZ! without context argument.

I could take or leave Young, but somehow 99% of superstars and stars aren't good enough in some form or fashion to play for the almighty Spurs or only are if they could be had for pennies on the dollar.

timtonymanu
02-04-2024, 05:39 PM
lol not wanting Trae
lol spurs fans thinking we can reject stars with our last place record
Lol wanting to keep another inferior chucker in Vassell

LeBowen
02-04-2024, 05:46 PM
As long as they put another star next to him, Atlanta regressed.

Excuse me, but since when is DJ considered a star?
Their issues are way deeper.
Started with Collins permanently fucking up his finger and they couldn't find the balance since.

Could Trae have done better? Maybe, but he's proven that he's a good playoff performer and is willing to improve. Even though his defense will always be bad, he obviously put a lot of work into it.

He's the best realistic target Spurs can trade for.
No other wing that fits the timeline (let's say 26-27 or younger) is available or looks like will become available anytime soon.

objective
02-04-2024, 06:40 PM
Fwiw, keen Hawks observers claim Trae is not a bad defender anymore. There was a Locked On Hawks episode recently after the Lakers game where both the host and journalist guest agreed that Young is a better defender than Austin Reaves.

I've been up and down on wanting Young, but if he really isn't a horrible defender anymore then he's a lot more desirable, and considering he's tied for 8th in charges drawn suggests he's putting in the effort unlike traditional bad defenders like Forbes or Branham.

Seeing the two man game of Wemby and Jones ... That's good already, but with Trae it would be phenomenal. And I think Trae would probably be better for Vassell and the team as a whole by organizing things.

The drawbacks of a Trae centric offense and stagnation exist but it might be preferable to the stagnation of the Spurs offense now.

aissagholi7981
02-04-2024, 06:45 PM
Anybody that says no to Trae coming here is literally a moron. We probably will never get a talent like that while Wemby is here. This isn't 1999 anymore, offense wins championships. Go get Trae whatever the cost is minus our pick this year. You're telling me if we have Trae and Wemby, other stars won't come running? Sooner you win, better off your odds are at Wemby staying long term. Nobody wants to stay with a franchise and win one ring, loyalty isn't there, rightfully so. Go get Trae.

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately it's not as simple as guard gets past man and gets funneled to Wemby... Almost everytime someone gets blown by in the NBA, the paint collapses and someone gets open for three... We see it ALL the time with our team... Secondly Trae has horrible efficiency in scoring AND passing... Pop doesn't ever try changing the habits of "stars"...LMA and DDR came and left with all their flaws intact... Tre Jones has an assist/turnover ratio twice as good as Trae Young... He is a better passer, it's just that Trae has the ball in his hands the entire time, so he has higher assist numbers... Wemby would get more lobs if Tre Jones held the ball in his hands the entire posession, but that style never develops anyone, and it wouldn't develop Wemby or any other young draft pick we get... It's a self-serving playstyle

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 06:53 PM
lol not wanting Trae
lol spurs fans thinking we can reject stars with our last place record
Lol wanting to keep another inferior chucker in Vassell

Trae isn't a star... Never been good enough to be voted in by either fans or coaches... But certain Spurs fans wanna overlook his mediocre assist/turnover ratio and atrocious fg% because he has a few highlight threes and lobs at the expense of overall team growth and success

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 06:56 PM
Anybody that says no to Trae coming here is literally a moron. We probably will never get a talent like that while Wemby is here. This isn't 1999 anymore, offense wins championships. Go get Trae whatever the cost is minus our pick this year. You're telling me if we have Trae and Wemby, other stars won't come running? Sooner you win, better off your odds are at Wemby staying long term. Nobody wants to stay with a franchise and win one ring, loyalty isn't there, rightfully so. Go get Trae.

Trae is a mid offensive player... 43% and a mediocre assist/turnover ratio... Tre Jones is literally a better passer and finisher around the basket

aissagholi7981
02-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Trae is a mid offensive player... 43% and a mediocre assist/turnover ratio... Tre Jones is literally a better passer and finisher around the basket

We can't make wide open shots. A lot of people would love to play with Trae and Wemby. Parker wasn't a good defensive player, that turned out fine. Wemby and Trae pick and roll would be lethal, you can't cheat off that at all. I'm not saying he's a the best player in the NBA but he has balls, you need people with balls that deliver.

Trae
Vassell
Risacher
Sohan
Wemby

That's fun.

objective
02-04-2024, 07:28 PM
Tre Jones isn't the passer Trae Young is, not even close. We've all probably seen most of every single pass Jones has ever made as a professional and it can't compare to a random Young highlight reel.

Add to that the pull up threat. Jones in the two man game is limited by his non shooting. Is he getting his numbers better in spot up? Yes. But he's not a threat from three in the pick and roll. Despite that the Jones -Wemby combo is still good, but it would be potentially devastating with Young.

But of course there's drawbacks. The absurdly high turnovers. When he's cold, he's freezing cold. He's prone to getting on tilt and puking up bad shots. He doesn't seem to be popular with his teammates.

So there's pros and cons, the issue is what the cost would be. Because even if he didn't work out, he has an ETO after 2 more years, ending alongside Zollins, and you could probably move on and clear the cap if he left before any Wemby extension kicks in. And if he doesn't early terminate out, he's a $49 million expiring.

scott
02-04-2024, 08:39 PM
Whatever you think of Trae, hopefully you can rid yourself of the notion that Pop will change his bad habits. Pop hasn’t bothered changing Devin or Zach’s bad habits, why do we think he would do so with a star player? Pop was an asshole to Tony Parker and Danny Green, and that has given him this reputation of someone who can break a stallion and build him back up… but it’s not really the case, especially not in 2024.

gilmor2002
02-04-2024, 10:33 PM
Tre Jones isn't the passer Trae Young is, not even close. We've all probably seen most of every single pass Jones has ever made as a professional and it can't compare to a random Young highlight reel.

Add to that the pull up threat. Jones in the two man game is limited by his non shooting. Is he getting his numbers better in spot up? Yes. But he's not a threat from three in the pick and roll. Despite that the Jones -Wemby combo is still good, but it would be potentially devastating with Young.

But of course there's drawbacks. The absurdly high turnovers. When he's cold, he's freezing cold. He's prone to getting on tilt and puking up bad shots. He doesn't seem to be popular with his teammates.

So there's pros and cons, the issue is what the cost would be. Because even if he didn't work out, he has an ETO after 2 more years, ending alongside Zollins, and you could probably move on and clear the cap if he left before any Wemby extension kicks in. And if he doesn't early terminate out, he's a $49 million expiring.

I feel Trae tried to rush things a bit; not like Parker used to run the team, who doesnt waste any change to attack with points in mind everytime the offense is organised. you need someone who can control the pace and trigger the slow and fast pace as according to the scoreline

CorrectCrusader
02-04-2024, 11:42 PM
Trae is no Curry. He doesn't make others better. As long as they put another star next to him, Atlanta regressed. They went from 43-39, to 41-41 after the Murray trade and are 22-27 now, and that's after 4 game winning streak...

Trae just likes Trae, wouldn't match with Wemby. I don't see those two developing any kind of chemistry. Noises from Atlanta locker room are really not friendly to Young.

That roster regressed around trae. John Collins went from a low level star player ala Dejounte right now, to get shipped off for practically nothing.
If you think Trae is the reason they're not good, I don't know what to tell you, lol.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-04-2024, 11:45 PM
trae would be the best player on the team

dejounte would be the 3rd best player on the team

would rather have djm than trae but would welcome either with open arms if the price was right

TekXX
02-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Personally, i don't know if i can take Pops 10-year plan to get back to mediocre thru drafting. I wouldn't be opposed to shocking the system and jumpstarting this dead horse and getting Trae.

objective
02-05-2024, 12:30 AM
Despite his flaws, the Hawks have been a top 10 offense since after his second season and he's the main driver.

They had the #2 offense in 21-22, and the second leading scorer was John Collins at 16 points a game. They're still the #10 offense this year.

Trae Young offenses get points.

The team lack of success since the fluke ECF can't all be his fault, if anything it's the cheap ass owners who refused to ever pay the tax.

The last 2 years they've traded away 2 starting caliber players for cap relief, 1 lottery protected Kings pick that might convey starting this year and some seconds. They're also sold off picks for money.

Kevin Huerter (25mpg, 41 starts in 46 games this season)
John Collins (28pm, 44 starts in 46 games this season)

2 starters from that #2 offense in 21-22 ECF team were under contract and just given away for nothing until that Kings pick arrives.

Wemby as a rookie is light years better than any of Young's other teammates and I include Murray on that list. Hell, Vassell might next on the list.

Kevin
02-05-2024, 12:37 AM
Despite his flaws, the Hawks have been a top 10 offense since after his second season and he's the main driver.

They had the #2 offense in 21-22, and the second leading scorer was John Collins at 16 points a game. They're still the #10 offense this year.

Trae Young offenses get points.

The team lack of success since the fluke ECF can't all be his fault, if anything it's the cheap ass owners who refused to ever pay the tax.

The last 2 years they've traded away 2 starting caliber players for cap relief, 1 lottery protected Kings pick that might convey starting this year and some seconds. They're also sold off picks for money.

Kevin Huerter (25mpg, 41 starts in 46 games this season)
John Collins (28pm, 44 starts in 46 games this season)

2 starters from that #2 offense in 21-22 ECF team were under contract and just given away for nothing until that Kings pick arrives.

Wemby as a rookie is light years better than any of Young's other teammates and I include Murray on that list. Hell, Vassell might next on the list.

Excellent post. Young and Wemby would be special on offense together and would redefine Lob City.

Ignazzz
02-05-2024, 12:47 AM
So go for Curry

Rubberducky
02-05-2024, 02:52 AM
The options if your out on Trae Young:

Sit through Pop's 10 year plan which includes more Tre Jones as the main PG for the foreseeable future
Beat the odds again and get a top2 pick this year to draft Topic (not likely), who may or may not be the answer anyway
Pray that Sheppard/Castle/Dillingham/Collier work out when we don't get Topic
Hope that Donovan Mitchell refuses to extend with the Cavs in the offseason and says yes to a Spurs trade (good luck with that)
Trade for or sign a vet PG that doesn't do much for our future other than eat cap space

The only realistic path forward is overpaying a vet PG in the offseason which at best adds depth but doesn't move the needle at all. Everything else requires more luck. We're all aware of how weak the draft is this year. One look at the free agent pool this next offseason and you'll see that there's honestly not much to look forward to.

Trae Young is an all star level player that, while not without glaring weaknesses, checks ALOT of boxes for someone that would compliment Wemby. Spurs would also finally have a real identity and can start the next part of building the team. It's fair to point out that he may stunt Wemby's growth into basically a lob hunter (we don't even know, I suspect Wemby is getting a greener light than that regardless if Trae was here). However, to just hard pass on Trae like some of the people here are saying (again, wtf is the plan then?) is crazy to me.

Kawhi Duncan
02-05-2024, 07:47 AM
The options if your out on Trae Young:

Sit through Pop's 10 year plan which includes more Tre Jones as the main PG for the foreseeable future
Beat the odds again and get a top2 pick this year to draft Topic (not likely), who may or may not be the answer anyway
Pray that Sheppard/Castle/Dillingham/Collier work out when we don't get Topic
Hope that Donovan Mitchell refuses to extend with the Cavs in the offseason and says yes to a Spurs trade (good luck with that)
Trade for or sign a vet PG that doesn't do much for our future other than eat cap space

The only realistic path forward is overpaying a vet PG in the offseason which at best adds depth but doesn't move the needle at all. Everything else requires more luck. We're all aware of how weak the draft is this year. One look at the free agent pool this next offseason and you'll see that there's honestly not much to look forward to.

Trae Young is an all star level player that, while not without glaring weaknesses, checks ALOT of boxes for someone that would compliment Wemby. Spurs would also finally have a real identity and can start the next part of building the team. It's fair to point out that he may stunt Wemby's growth into basically a lob hunter (we don't even know, I suspect Wemby is getting a greener light than that regardless if Trae was here). However, to just hard pass on Trae like some of the people here are saying (again, wtf is the plan then?) is crazy to me.

Trae isn't as good of a passer as you think he is, nor is he as good of a scorer...ppl are blinded by highlights and don't take impact into account...
this video talks of certain things, including his own teammates having issue with his play style....and you don't think Wemby will as an Alpha? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWIUXqI52E0

SpursBills
02-05-2024, 08:25 AM
It's a big risk for sure. On the one hand, Trae's talent is undeniable and he can drive good offense. His defense has even gotten better this year and he would definitely be the best teammate Wemby has played with by far.

On the other hand, we know from history that superstar trades don't always work out the way we think. Especially established ball dominant guys who either have to fit into an entirely new system or have a lot of players fit to them. The Luka-Porzingis example is a really good one just because of the similarities in playstyle between Trae and Luka as well as the similarities between Wemby and Porzingis. For those more familiar with the mavs, do we know why that never worked out? Other example is Dame on the Bucks. Losing Holiday was big for the Bucks, but I don't think Dame has been anywhere near what they hoped either both from an offensive and defensive standpoint.

JPB
02-05-2024, 10:53 AM
Not to mention that Iverson/Mutombo won ZERO rings.

yup, cos AI had litterally no help. Brought the Sixers in the Finals by himself. Let's hope spurs give Wemby more help than a defensive stiff.

JPB
02-05-2024, 10:55 AM
That roster regressed around trae. John Collins went from a low level star player ala Dejounte right now, to get shipped off for practically nothing.
If you think Trae is the reason they're not good, I don't know what to tell you, lol.

Hum...

hint: (real) stars are precisely supposed to make people around them better, not regress.

You litterally proved my point and exposed Trae's problem.

barakz21
02-05-2024, 10:59 AM
Personally, I wouldn’t swing a trade for Trae if it meant giving up the farm for him. Would I sign him? Yes. Would I trade for him if I don’t have to send ALL the draft assets? Yes. I don’t necessarily want/dislike him on the team, but I’m at least open to it. For sure having Trae would mean Wemby’s gonna get a lot of lobs, setups and Vassel slides down to 3rd banana which isn’t a bad thing.

JPB
02-05-2024, 11:09 AM
It's a big risk for sure. On the one hand, Trae's talent is undeniable and he can drive good offense. His defense has even gotten better this year and he would definitely be the best teammate Wemby has played with by far.

On the other hand, we know from history that superstar trades don't always work out the way we think. Especially established ball dominant guys who either have to fit into an entirely new system or have a lot of players fit to them. The Luka-Porzingis example is a really good one just because of the similarities in playstyle between Trae and Luka as well as the similarities between Wemby and Porzingis. For those more familiar with the mavs, do we know why that never worked out? Other example is Dame on the Bucks. Losing Holiday was big for the Bucks, but I don't think Dame has been anywhere near what they hoped either both from an offensive and defensive standpoint.

That's where egos and personalities may factor in... What's the story if Manu never really accepted to be a sixth man...? Harden didn't for OKC and HOU had to trade him, so he can get his own team... And that's also why I'm not on the Trae train.

R. DeMurre
02-05-2024, 11:35 AM
Trae Young's career playoff stats:

27 games (12-15 record)
40.2% FG%
29.7% 3pt%

People really need to stop thinking that Trae is a "Steph Curry type" of player. Steph is the greatest 3 pt shooter in NBA history, and Young's career 3pt% is below 36%. In seven seasons, Trae has never been close to hitting 40% from 3. Steph has eclipsed 40% from 3 thirteen times. The further a Trae-led team goes in the playoffs, the more his very average shooting percentages will be a disadvantage as a (or the) focal point of the offense. Trae is a gunner who isn't ever afraid to shoot, but he's just not anywhere near Steph's stratosphere.

LeBowen
02-05-2024, 12:16 PM
It's honestly hillarious how people in here try to spin narratives in most ridiculous ways.

First off, stop comparing players with Steph, he's an anomaly.
Noone is saying that Trae doesn't have glaring flaws in his game, but that's the entire point.
If he was an MVP level player, there would be no way to get him.
All of his flaws (except size) are easily fixable with proper coaching. If Pop is up for it, that is.

The truth is always in the middle, but most basketball fans don't know anything between 0 and 100. Players either get hated or overrated.
If the cost is just giving Hawks their picks back, then it's a no-brainer trade.
If Hawks are asking for like 5 picks, then it's not happening.

KobesAchilles
02-05-2024, 01:55 PM
Same people hating on Trae were the ones saying how great Sochan would be at point guard. The moment Trae Young is in a Spurs uniform, everyone here will defend him and talk him up.

Tbh I'm not a fan of Young. But it's not the worst fit. We trade for Trae, he can shoot, run the pick n roll, and get to the lane. That's what we need from our point guard. Also in the draft, we would surround Wemby with shooters because that seems to be the logical way to build around him. So Trae Young wouldn't be the end all be all, but if we can get a Risacher with him in the draft then our team has legitimate shooters in Vassell, Trae, and Risacher. If Sochan shoots 3,000 corner 3s in the offseason, then that would be enough going forward I believe to make the playoffs and maybe even the second round if we don't face Luka or the Clippers, or Nuggets (teams with superstars that are just abnormally strong).

JPB
02-05-2024, 02:13 PM
If Trae is someone you build around, not sure why would the Hawks be OK to trade him...

Giannis & Dame or Luka & Irving are'nt really impressive partially because that's one thing to be the king of your team, the go to guy everything is build and turn around, on and off the floor... That's something else to have to deal with another alpha and accept to lose a bit of your importance, power and glory when you"ve been used to be THE guy since you"re a teen. You have to reconsider everything BB wise but also psychologically and take into consideration elements you didn't have to before... And it's easier for some than others.

Same people hating on Trae were the ones saying how great Sochan would be at point guard. The moment Trae Young is in a Spurs uniform, everyone here will defend him and talk him up.

Tbh I'm not a fan of Young. But it's not the worst fit. We trade for Trae, he can shoot, run the pick n roll, and get to the lane. That's what we need from our point guard. Also in the draft, we would surround Wemby with shooters because that seems to be the logical way to build around him. So Trae Young wouldn't be the end all be all, but if we can get a Risacher with him in the draft then our team has legitimate shooters in Vassell, Trae, and Risacher. If Sochan shoots 3,000 corner 3s in the offseason, then that would be enough going forward I believe to make the playoffs and maybe even the second round if we don't face Luka or the Clippers, or Nuggets (teams with superstars that are just abnormally strong).

Nope, hated Sochan at PG from day 1 and called what was gonna happen (didn't have to be a genius)... I just don't like Trae, the player and the man. He's that Harden type of cancer who will ask to be traded. I believe things would deteriorate quickly, which is pointless since I really don't beleive spurs would be interested...

And are we really gonna ignore that?

27 games (12-15 record)
40.2% FG%
29.7% 3pt%

(with an atrocious defense)

Trae built his hype on being the next Curry but he's not even a poor's man Steph when it really matters... Unplayable in the POs basically.

LeBowen
02-05-2024, 02:31 PM
If Trae is someone you build around

No, Wemby is the one we're building around.
And what Wemby needs the most is an elite point guard.
Trae is one of the better playmakers in the league and more importantly one of the best lob passers.

not sure why would the Hawks be OK to trade him...

Because he's not good enough to be the first option.
However, he's good enough to be the main playmaker and the second option.
Way better players got traded because teams couldn't build around them, does that make them bad?
As I said, always with 0 to 100 takes, nothing inbetween.

Giannis & Dame or Luka & Irving aren't really impressive

Giannis and Dame barely had half a season together, with bad coaching. Coaching just got worse, but that's besides the point.
Dame is 33 and past his peak. Their 3rd-6th man is also the worst out of any contender. Roster past it's peak.

Idk how can you put Luka and Kyrie into this discussion. Two ball-dominant guards.

partially because that's one thing to be the king of your team, the go to guy everything is build and turn around, on and off the floor... That's something else to have to deal with another alpha and accept to lose a bit of your importance, power and glory when you"ve been used to be THE guy since you"re a teen. You have to reconsider everything BB wise but also psychologically and take into consideration elements you didn't have to before... And it's easier for some than others.

This is just whataboutism, as if it's Stephen A talking to generate clicks when there's nothing to talk about.
Unless you've got some actual inside info on players.

You have to realize that Spurs effectively traded away DJ to luck into Wemby and can get a point guard upgrade for the same cost.
It's just two picks and a swap.
The East is horrible and Hawks won't tank as long as Trae is there. Then the question presents itself if Trae is worth two late lottery picks and one swap that wouldn't even be that high of a jump?
I personally think he is.

Not to mention that we'd almost certainly be able to get rid of Zach's contract in the process.

JPB
02-05-2024, 02:36 PM
If you don't like whataboutisms, you should appreciate that better then. Unplayable on a contender in the POs:

27 games (12-15 record)
40.2% FG%
29.7% 3pt%

And his defense ratings good worse and worse on career in the POs:
114.5 (2021) 116.8 (2022) 121.4 (2023)

+/- in Play offs: -7 (2021), -58 (2022), -37 (2023)

LeBowen
02-05-2024, 03:02 PM
If you don't like whataboutisms, you should appreciate that better then. Uplayable on a contender in the POs.

Nice cherry picking out of context, just what I was waiting for.

First round against, Knicks, won in 5: 29/10 with just 3 turnovers on 44/34/92

Second round, Sixers, won in 7: 29/11 with 3.6 turnovers on 39/32/85

Conference finals, Bucks, played three games and got injured, wasn't healthy for G6: 32/6 on 48/31/81

This is the series that was really bad, Heat destroyed them, he averaged just 15/6 on horrible 31/18/78
Both Capela and Bogdanovic were not healthy, Collins finger was already fucked up and it was all on Trae.
Still a horrible series, but they had no business being in that one.

Lost in 6 against Boston: 29/10 on 40/33/86, 4 turnovers.
After a slow start in first two games, averaged 34/12 on 42/36/93 in final four games.
Including a 38/13 G5 in Boston to extend the series.

For example last year SGA had 5/19 against Timberwolves in play-in, just 3 assists.
Is anyone doubting him?

Trae's number are more or less comparable with Morant's and he had a way better supporting cast.
Noone's doubting him when it comes to basketball, just off the court antics.

Mitchell averaged 23/7 with 4 turnovers on 43/28/72 against the Knicks last year, yet some people are trying to push him into MVP discussion.

There hasn't been one small guard good enough to lead a championship team ever since Jerry West up until Steph showed up.
And it doesn't seem like that will change.
But plenty of them excelled as second options.
Why did I list all these stats? To show you that small guards as first option in the modern NBA aren't efficent when they have to be volume scorers.

You're picking on a guy who's best teammate on offense was Bogdan Bogdanovic.
Noone else on that Hawks team was capable of creating his own shot.

There's a huge difference between Capela and Wemby as his potential PNR partners.
You take the lob away and Capela is useless, can even foul him because he's a shit FT shooter.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're right, but I'm at least trying to look at potential Trae trade objectively and I'm trying to compare him to similar players, while your take is just whataboutism and nonsense like checking his percentages when he was severely overmatched.

Kid showed up when it mattered the most in NY, Phily and Boston. He's got the right mentality.
I'd rather have that than some efficent nice guy who goes missing in the playoffs.

Rant over.

RC_Drunkford
02-05-2024, 03:04 PM
Trae is not Steph. Steph is a #1 option on a championship team. We don‘t need Trae to be that, we need him to be a 2nd option

Frenchfred
02-05-2024, 03:04 PM
It's honestly hillarious how people in here try to spin narratives in most ridiculous ways.

First off, stop comparing players with Steph, he's an anomaly.
Noone is saying that Trae doesn't have glaring flaws in his game, but that's the entire point.
If he was an MVP level player, there would be no way to get him.
All of his flaws (except size) are easily fixable with proper coaching. If Pop is up for it, that is.

The truth is always in the middle, but most basketball fans don't know anything between 0 and 100. Players either get hated or overrated.
If the cost is just giving Hawks their picks back, then it's a no-brainer trade.
If Hawks are asking for like 5 picks, then it's not happening.

the problem is that he is getting MVP salary. He’ll make 43 millions next year with a 15% trade kicker so 49 millions. Do you want to pay that much for him even if the Hawks ask for just their picks back?

LeBowen
02-05-2024, 03:06 PM
the problem is that he is getting MVP salary. He’ll make 43 millions next year with a 15% trade kicker so 49 millions. Do you want to pay that much for him even if the Hawks ask for just their picks back?

I didn't know he had a trade kicker.
But if he wants to join, trade kicker can be waived.
AD waived his when he joined the Lakers.

The cap is rising and unfortunately 40 a year will be the going rate for solid all-stars.
Devin will be getting 29 next season.

I'd rather have Trae for 43 than Devin for 29.

poopbox
02-05-2024, 03:15 PM
Regardless of how you feel about Trae the spurs can't afford to be picky when it comes to bringing in a star to play with Victor...because you might not hear their name mentioned again when it comes to a star player and trades. If it's really possible to trade for Trae then the Spurs might have to do it for no other reason than it might not present itself again. If you doubled all of Trae's flaws he would still easily be the second best player on this dumpster fire of a team. Shit him being here would keep Branhim and Wesley off the floor which is addition by subtraction.

objective
02-05-2024, 03:22 PM

Trade kicker in practice wouldn't matter here if I remember things correctly. The kicker can't make his salary exceed the max, and he's making the same as Luka, 43 for next year..which is more oe less 30% of the previously expected cap jump. He's already on a supermax because he made all-nba third team last year

scott
02-05-2024, 03:30 PM
Regardless of how you feel about Trae the spurs can't afford to be picky when it comes to bringing in a star to play with Victor...because you might not hear their name mentioned again when it comes to a star player and trades. If it's really possible to trade for Trae then the Spurs might have to do it for no other reason than it might not present itself again. If you doubled all of Trae's flaws he would still easily be the second best player on this dumpster fire of a team. Shit him being here would keep Branhim and Wesley off the floor which is addition by subtraction.

Yep. No player is ever good enough for the Spurs according to this board. If we just want to wait for us to draft the perfect teammate for Wemby, we might be waiting forever. Any player who is possibly obtainable is going to have flaws that can be picked apart to death.

One thing Trae gets picked on is how his team has done nothing but go backwards since their ECF appearance… but you could say the exact same thing about Luka and Dallas.

It cracks me that whenever stars get talked about even just as unlikely rumors, they suddenly become some of the worst players in the league in eyes of folks on this board.

scott
02-05-2024, 03:39 PM

scott
02-05-2024, 03:40 PM
Direct link in the event the embedded tweet doesn’t come through: https://x.com/NBAPR/status/1754603317806743768?s=20

Frenchfred
02-05-2024, 04:16 PM
Yep. No player is ever good enough for the Spurs according to this board. If we just want to wait for us to draft the perfect teammate for Wemby, we might be waiting forever. Any player who is possibly obtainable is going to have flaws that can be picked apart to death.

One thing Trae gets picked on is how his team has done nothing but go backwards since their ECF appearance… but you could say the exact same thing about Luka and Dallas.

It cracks me that whenever stars get talked about even just as unlikely rumors, they suddenly become some of the worst players in the league in eyes of folks on this board.

So you would trade five 1st picks for him? Let’s say all the Hawks picks and the Spurs 25 and 26 FRP?

for me, if he waives his trade kicker, the Hawks accept their 26 swap and 27 plus the worst of the Spurs-Hawks 2025 plus they take Collins contract, yes I’d do it.

Kevin
02-05-2024, 04:20 PM
So you would trade five 1st picks for him? Let’s say all the Hawks picks and the Spurs 25 and 26 FRP?

for me, if he waives his trade kicker, the Hawks accept their 26 swap and 27 plus the worst of the Spurs-Hawks 2025 plus they take Collins contract, yes I’d do it.

I'd offer all three of their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins. Even with taking back Zollins they would still shed 25M.

lefty
02-05-2024, 04:25 PM
He is an underrated passer tbh

LeBowen
02-05-2024, 04:27 PM
I'd offer all three of their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins. Even with taking back Zollins they would still shed 25M.

I'd offer their three picks and Keldon+Zach.
I'm more or less over Keldon.
He's useless on defense and doesn't see anything other than the rim on offense.

Slightly off topic, but I'd trade Keldon at the first opportunity of getting solid value back before teams realize he's useless for serious basketball.

Kevin
02-05-2024, 04:38 PM
I'd offer their three picks and Keldon+Zach.
I'm more or less over Keldon.
He's useless on defense and doesn't see anything other than the rim on offense.

Slightly off topic, but I'd trade Keldon at the first opportunity of getting solid value back before teams realize he's useless for serious basketball.

I feel the same way about Keldon. Shedding Zollin's and Keldon would almost cancel out Trea contract for the next two seasons. Spurs would have plenty of room to add another star or keep renting out cap space for more draft assets

objective
02-05-2024, 04:42 PM
I'd be open to all the Hawks picks plus more

If it's this deadline, and they demanded to shed more salary, I'd even be open to taking on DeAndre Hunter who is having mystery problems with his knees

But keeping it simple for this season,

McDermott
Jones
Graham
Atlanta picks 25, 26 swap, 27
Charlotte pick
San Antonio 24 top 4 protected this year, unprotected 25

For Young and Garrison Matthews. They might have to cut Wesley Matthews for roster space to make it work

Saves them $7 million this year

Maybe I'd put Keldon in the deal in place of McDermott but then I'd want something smaller back like AJ Griffen

With Young the rest of the season Spurs probably win quite a few more games in the last 30 or so of the season, their lottery pick might be 8-12 so giving it up wouldn't be that bad a loss. Maybe instead of 24 just giving up 25 unprotected in a stronger draft would be the way to do it

TimmyBuckets
02-05-2024, 05:25 PM
Trae on this team even as is becomes an automatic playoff team. Surround them with good support and they're a contender. It would be an insane duo. Trae is a beast. IDC if he can't play D if he's dropping 30 and 11.

BacktoBasics
02-05-2024, 05:38 PM
The experiment aside. I wonder if a Trae less Hawks team is better than us. Seems just on paper our team is a better fit for him than the Hawks.

scott
02-05-2024, 05:41 PM

Depends on which 5 picks we are talking about. If it’s CHA + CHI + TOR + SA ‘27 + SA ‘29, then yeah probably… if it’s the deal you laid out… probably not. Of course the price matters. I wouldn’t throw the entire warchest at Trae Young.

CorrectCrusader
02-05-2024, 06:15 PM
It's funny how some of y'all hate Brian Wrong and his draft record but don't want to trade picks for a proven star player that would fit along our future MVP.

objective
02-05-2024, 06:25 PM
Nice cherry picking out of context, just what I was waiting for.

First round against, Knicks, won in 5: 29/10 with just 3 turnovers on 44/34/92

Second round, Sixers, won in 7: 29/11 with 3.6 turnovers on 39/32/85

Conference finals, Bucks, played three games and got injured, wasn't healthy for G6: 32/6 on 48/31/81

This is the series that was really bad, Heat destroyed them, he averaged just 15/6 on horrible 31/18/78
Both Capela and Bogdanovic were not healthy, Collins finger was already fucked up and it was all on Trae.
Still a horrible series, but they had no business being in that one.

Lost in 6 against Boston: 29/10 on 40/33/86, 4 turnovers.
After a slow start in first two games, averaged 34/12 on 42/36/93 in final four games.
Including a 38/13 G5 in Boston to extend the series.

For example last year SGA had 5/19 against Timberwolves in play-in, just 3 assists.
Is anyone doubting him?

Trae's number are more or less comparable with Morant's and he had a way better supporting cast.
Noone's doubting him when it comes to basketball, just off the court antics.

Mitchell averaged 23/7 with 4 turnovers on 43/28/72 against the Knicks last year, yet some people are trying to push him into MVP discussion.

There hasn't been one small guard good enough to lead a championship team ever since Jerry West up until Steph showed up.
And it doesn't seem like that will change.
But plenty of them excelled as second options.
Why did I list all these stats? To show you that small guards as first option in the modern NBA aren't efficent when they have to be volume scorers.

You're picking on a guy who's best teammate on offense was Bogdan Bogdanovic.
Noone else on that Hawks team was capable of creating his own shot.

There's a huge difference between Capela and Wemby as his potential PNR partners.
You take the lob away and Capela is useless, can even foul him because he's a shit FT shooter.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're right, but I'm at least trying to look at potential Trae trade objectively and I'm trying to compare him to similar players, while your take is just whataboutism and nonsense like checking his percentages when he was severely overmatched.

Kid showed up when it mattered the most in NY, Phily and Boston. He's got the right mentality.
I'd rather have that than some efficent nice guy who goes missing in the playoffs.

Rant over.

Trae is not Steph. Steph is a #1 option on a championship team. We don‘t need Trae to be that, we need him to be a 2nd option

I agree with these

Wemby is the number one, Trae would be the number 2 who helps #1 be even better

Devin ain't that guy, and neither is anyone else on the roster.

Yes he's making Max money, but that's just how it is. The only hangup I might have is if Trae being a SuperMax currently would prevent them from being able to offer a super to Wemby, but I don't think it would. I think there are some cap details about limits on the number of super max a team can have that depends on draft vs free agency vs trade but I don't remember in detail

There's just no other way to get a player this good despite the flaws.

Quickley might not be gettable even if offered the max because Toronto could match.

The best player the Spurs ever got in free agency, Aldridge, was an over sensitive #2 beta who was more likely to disappear in the playoffs than have a great game. He was never happy, always whining or jealous or pouting, crying about touches, asking for trades, crying about not wanting to play center, and eventually quit on the team and was never a leader of any sort.

And that might be the best case for a Max player in free agency lol

Even if there's a potential for overpay, I say take it. Atlanta picks plus a Spurs unprotected, add Chicago. Hell, add a Spurs 27 pick lotto protected that converts to 2 seconds.

Teams are asking for the moon for #2s as it is, with the high demands that Utah and Brooklyn supposedly have for Markkanen and Bridges. Young probably won't be cheap or a bargain, but that's the cost of doing business.

z0sa
02-05-2024, 06:40 PM
:lol people on this board act like we didn’t win a title in DOMINATING fashion, including sweeping the early incarnation of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, with fucking Avery Johnson at PG.

Trae Young instantly makes us a playoff team, maybe better IE dark horse. Ima be straight up selfish too and say man, THOSE would be some fun games to watch. If we dont win it all in 2-3 years but Wemby’s happy, WGAF???? He will be all of 23 or so.

Yall are crazy.

CorrectCrusader
02-05-2024, 06:46 PM
:lol people on this board act like we didn’t win a title in DOMINATING fashion, including sweeping the early incarnation of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, with fucking Avery Johnson at PG.

Trae Young instantly makes us a playoff team, maybe better IE dark horse. Ima be straight up selfish too and say man, THOSE would be some fun games to watch. If we dont win it all in 2-3 years but Wemby’s happy, WGAF???? He will be all of 23 or so.

Yall are crazy.

Absolutely agree. Trae is the best lob passer in the NBA bar none, him with Wemby would be special.

manufan10
02-05-2024, 06:47 PM
If my criticism of his unwillingness to move without the ball and his papier-mâché defense makes me a hater, then sure, I accept the label. But I’ve always felt that those notes were fair and true, just as it’s true now that Young deserves credit for putting in more defensive effort than ever before. It’s apparent from just watching games, as he slides laterally to better stay in front of opponents and attentively makes rotations. But it’s also true in the stats sheet, as he’s posting career highs in deflections and charges drawn per game. On offense, Young isn’t moving off the ball quite as much as I believe he still can, but he’s doing it more often than he used to to fulfill his role in Quin Snyder’s offense and fit next to Murray. Other teams should see great appeal in him as a player about to enter his prime.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/5/24062099/joel-embiid-meniscus-injury-philadelphia-76ers-trade-deadline

scott
02-05-2024, 08:49 PM
A lot of the criticisms folks have about Young could be said about Vassell, it's pretty interesting.

Kevin
02-05-2024, 09:12 PM
A lot of the criticisms folks have about Young could be said about Vassell, it's pretty interesting.

Let’s see Devin be 25/10 guy like Young. That Dev extension is looking questionable. He gets paid a lot to be a streaky shooter and a subpar defender.

objective
02-05-2024, 09:14 PM
I suspect that Young would be better for Vassell and Sochan as well.

Sochan as a cutter is something he's primed for and good at. If anything he can finish lobs like John Collins and finish in transition like Jalen Johnson is doing now also.

I'd lové to see Vassell as a play finisher and shooter rather than having to work so hard to generate shots in iso like he does now. Vassell is probably better suited 5o playing next to Young than Murray is and Murray puts up numbers next to him.

mo7888
02-05-2024, 09:35 PM
It doesn't matter to me if you like Trae or not, but at some point you need to consider what other teams can and are willing to offer for him before throwing around these huge offers. Starting this summer with the 2nd apron picks are going to be much more valuable than in the past.

exstatic
02-05-2024, 09:50 PM
It doesn't matter to me if you like Trae or not, but at some point you need to consider what other teams can and are willing to offer for him before throwing around these huge offers. Starting this summer with the 2nd apron picks are going to be much more valuable than in the past.

He’s been shopped for the better part of a year.

The second apron is why posters here are going to be surprised by what Graham returns at the deadline. A team can amputate $10M from their 2025 salary structure by cutting him and only paying the $2.5M guarantee. Teams that are over the second apron in 2 of 3 years have their pick moved to the end of the first round automatically, with no appeal, and it’s untradeable. One more offense in a4 year window, and they lose the pick altogether.

Atlanta is probably still salty about the DJ deal. It wouldn’t matter if we made a good offer. They would want more from us than they would from other teams.

Sometimes, a deal just isn’t possible. I’m looking for some land, and I found a nice small parcel. The problem is, the land assessed at $29,000 and they’re asking $80,000. There isn’t even an offer you can put on the table that will end up through negotiation anywhere near $29K.

mo7888
02-05-2024, 09:54 PM

The second apron is why posters here are going to be surprised by what Graham returns at the deadline. A team can amputate $10M from their 2025 salary structure by cutting him and only paying the $2.5M guarantee. Teams that are over the second apron in 2 of 3 years have their pick moved to the end of the first round automatically, with no appeal, and it’s untradeable. One more offense in a4 year window, and they lose the pick altogether.

Atlanta is probably still salty about the DJ deal. It wouldn’t matter if we made a good offer. They would want more from us than they would from other teams.

Sometimes, a deal just isn’t possible. I’m looking for some land, and I found a nice small parcel. The problem is, the land assessed at $29,000 and they’re asking $80,000. There isn’t even an offer you can put on the table that will end up through negotiation anywhere near $29K.

I like the land analogy.

Agree on all points there.

CGD
02-05-2024, 09:57 PM

Very important. And I’ll say the quiet part, is he even worth what some of these other stars got? I suspect his market is more frigid than we appreciate right now.

objective
02-05-2024, 10:04 PM

Sorry, but who has been shopped for the better part of the year?

It's not Trae Young, because Atlanta has been consistent and adamant that he's untouchable and off limits along with Jalen Johnson. The chatter is just people reasonably observing that they're pretty much trapped in non contending after the Murray deal disappointed.

And the statements about Wemby that Young made that people made content out of. It's actually surprising that Young hasn't blown things up with an under the table trade demand or "sources say Trae wants out!". He's actually been pretty patient and good about things for someone in his position

objective
02-05-2024, 10:13 PM
Very important. And I’ll say the quiet part, is he even worth what some of these other stars got? I suspect his market is more frigid than we appreciate right now.

I agree that the market for him is limited more than for other stars, but not enough to get him for next to nothing

On Ball lead scorers are what most teams have. Not too many openings because Young wouldn't be an ideal fit next to most of those players because of his size. He's probably not pairing with Brunson or Cade or Morant or Fox etc etc

But there are teams who could be interested and it just takes 2, like when NY paid a premium for Carmelo with only the Nets as competition.

Orlando, Brooklyn, The Wolves as fallback swap for Towns..... There's enough teams with asserts or players that the Spurs aren't the only game in town

And the clock is ticking with Wemby. How long can you wait to get a number 2? Who is the free agent on the horizon? Because I've not seen too many alternative pathways posted that involve players that are make sense

exstatic
02-05-2024, 10:19 PM
I agree that the market for him is limited more than for other stars, but not enough to get him for next to nothing

On Ball lead scorers are what most teams have. Not too many openings because Young wouldn't be an ideal fit next to most of those players because of his size. He's probably not pairing with Brunson or Cade or Morant or Fox etc etc

But there are teams who could be interested and it just takes 2, like when NY paid a premium for Carmelo with only the Nets as competition.

Orlando, Brooklyn, The Wolves as fallback swap for Towns..... There's enough teams with asserts or players that the Spurs aren't the only game in town

And the clock is ticking with Wemby. How long can you wait to get a number 2? Who is the free agent on the horizon? Because I've not seen too many alternative pathways posted that involve players that are make sense

Please don’t use NY as an example of good, or even competent front office work. Carmelo also took them exactly nowhere near a title.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-05-2024, 11:32 PM

Yall are crazy.

In fantasy basketball maybe but his defensive liability should have been obvious to you as opposed to what the 99 Spurs did.

ambchang
02-05-2024, 11:41 PM
Trae young’s value drops significantly without the ball in his hands. I want the ball in wembys hands.

objective
02-06-2024, 12:40 AM
Please don’t use NY as an example of good, or even competent front office work. Carmelo also took them exactly nowhere near a title.

Didn't use NY as an example of good front office work, only as an example of reality. It happened. And the Spurs have made enough front office mistakes that I wouldn't be so sure of whatever paths they take.

Trae young’s value drops significantly without the ball in his hands. I want the ball in wembys hands.

The Jones-Wemby pairing has shown that a Wemby is a significant positive player with a set up man. Young should make that even better.

Furthermore, at least this year, Young is playing about 8 minutes more per game than Wemby. And the Spurs are getting destroyed when Wemby is off the court. I think those 8 minutes of just Trae wouldn't be destruction any more.

Hawks are 10th in O Rating, Spurs are 27th. They were #2 before adding Dejounte.

TimmyBuckets
02-06-2024, 01:19 AM
Trae's worth Vassell and KJ/Sochan plus picks. Got plenty of money to surround them both with good pieces. That's a championship team.

Kawhi Duncan
02-06-2024, 01:57 AM
Didn't use NY as an example of good front office work, only as an example of reality. It happened. And the Spurs have made enough front office mistakes that I wouldn't be so sure of whatever paths they take.

The Jones-Wemby pairing has shown that a Wemby is a significant positive player with a set up man. Young should make that even better.

Furthermore, at least this year, Young is playing about 8 minutes more per game than Wemby. And the Spurs are getting destroyed when Wemby is off the court. I think those 8 minutes of just Trae wouldn't be destruction any more.

Hawks are 10th in O Rating, Spurs are 27th. They were #2 before adding Dejounte.

Jones is a great passer (4:1 ast/to ratio) that doesn't need the ball in his hands the entire posession... If he sees a lob, he throws it, apart from that he gets wemby the ball in positions where Wemby can do his own thing and create for himself or others... Trae is an average passer (2:1) that has great highlights and high usage... He needs the ball in his hands to operate and never plays off ball... Even with Murray on the court, he often stands way out from the 3 point line waiting to be passed the ball again... Wemby would only get the ball to shoot threes or dunk... That would severely hinder his growth... Trae's own teammates have called him out on his playstyle for years including this year... Spurs fans are fooled by the highlights and the fact that he seems unstoppable when he plays against our horrible defense, but is in fact a 43% shooter in his 6th season

JPB
02-06-2024, 06:14 AM
Nice cherry picking out of context.

:lol

Dude, I litterally gave you his CAREER POs stats on offense and defense. that's litterally THE overall context

Who's cherry picking here by pcikng the series where he did well?

By the way, Hawks are 22-28 now after last night loss... But sorry, I'm cherry picking, post me his stats when they win... so I can salivate. And hey, let's throw our best assets for a vet who proved he's not a leader, not a winner, not a good locker room guy, bad attitude and (like it or not) disappear during the POs... Truth is Trae had one good run in 2021 the POs before opponents started to figure him out, and he couldn't adapt. Sure he got his stats but he doesn't make his teams win...

Ask Atlanta how they feel about selling the farm to please him for Dejoutne only to regress as a franchise...But not the guy's fault, because shit and stuff around him...I don't want Trae, that wouldn't end well. Wemby is no Mutombo or Capela for fuke sake. and Trae isn't the type of guy ready to make sacrifices who would be just happy throwing lobs to Vic.

And I mean, would the guy even want to come here?

rankingtear
02-06-2024, 07:47 AM

Stars won't come running. Trae is probably the most hated player in the league by far. The sooner you get Trae the sooner Wemby plans his exit here.

buttsR4rebounding
02-06-2024, 10:12 AM
While I am not against trading for Young I would rather have DJM back. He plays better defense, is shooting the 3 very well and really seems to be growing as a player. Is he bitchy at times? Most definitely, but if PATFO are comfortable getting him back then it solves our PG position for the next 4 years at least. I think he can be a #2 or #3 player on a contender. I think he would be worth 2 FRPs even one of the Atlanta picks going back, preferably the 27, but the swap would be ok as well. He has been professional during the trade rumors this year even though he signed a team friendly deal to stay in Atlanta.

LeBowen
02-06-2024, 10:44 AM
Dude, I litterally gave you his CAREER POs stats on offense and defense. that's litterally THE overall context

The only thing you gave in the post I replied to was his shooting splits and W/L.
Yes, his defense was atrocious and yes he's still a negative defender.

Then you look at his peers and their achievements.
Fox is a year older and played exactly one series in his career.
Haliburton is a year and a half younger and has yet to make a playoffs appearance.
SGA is the same age and has 13 playoff games. 6 of those with the Clippers. And horrible play-in performance last year.

Who's cherry picking here by pcikng the series where he did well?

I wrote stats for all of his series.
He got destroyed and shit on by Miami in other series he did really well considering how outmatched the Hawks were.
His best games against Boston and Sixers came late in the series, he improved and adapted.

What's better, making the playoffs and losing or not making them at all?
The entirety of NBA space keeps shitting on Trae just because Hawks front office was idiotic enough to pick him over Luka, he couldn't have affected that.
Haliburton is everyone's darling and he's yet to make the playoffs. Has great size for a guard and is as bad of a defender as Trae.

Your argument is the same argument that Kobe fanboys use about how he's got more playoff wins over Duncan and then conviniently ignore that you can't lose playoff games if you don't make the playoffs at all.

By the way, Hawks are 22-28 now after last night loss... But sorry, I'm cherry picking, post me his stats when they win...

Because they're a shit tier franchise with subpar roster and awful coaching. The only reason Snyder ever had any success was Gobert playing 1v5 defense and being scapegoated for it.
Yes, Trae is a part of the problem on defense, but we kind of have the defensive GOAT in the making...with noone to pass him the ball on offense.

And hey, let's throw our best assets

I'm not the one saying that Spurs should throw like 5 picks at him.
I've said the price I think would be fair. Give them their 2 picks and swap back, with Keldon+Zach to match salaries. Nothing more. They can have Branham and another scrub if they want to.
Or they can have Devin, one of their picks and a swap.

You need to understand that if Hawks keep Trae or trade him to another team, they won't be tanking.
Those two picks will be in 7-12 range. Look at what happened with the Nets. They don't have their own picks, so they're treadmilling.
Those picks can be top5 only if Hawks get ridiculously lucky in the lottery or get the picks back and blow it up.

Or you're telling me that you wouldn't trade a couple of late lottery picks for Trae?

for a vet

He's 25 for fucks sake.

who proved he's not a leader, not a winner, not a good locker room guy, bad attitude

We don't need him to be a leader, we just need him to get in line and pass it to the tall guy.
I've said my bit about being a winner when comparing him to other point guards of his generation.
Ja being the only successful one so far.
Locker room guy is just nonsense. McMillan got kicked out by players from every team he coached.
I'd like to hear about attitude issues.

(like it or not) disappear during the POs

You can like it or not, but his best playoff games were on the road in NY, Boston and Sixers.
How many players did the same in their early 20s?
His performances are way better than any second option we can realistically get.

Truth is Trae had one good run in 2021 the POs before opponents started to figure him out, and he couldn't adapt. Sure he got his stats but he doesn't make his teams win...

You didn't even read my post, did you? It's like talking to a wall.
Go check the Boston series stats again.

Ask Atlanta how they feel about selling the farm to please him for Dejoutne only to regress as a franchise

Yeah, Hawks that are well-known for doing smart business. It's Trae's fault that they've had two good seasons since Dominique left.

I don't want Trae, that wouldn't end well. Wemby is no Mutombo or Capela for fuke sake.

That's exactly why I'd like Trae. Because he's not good enough to be a Harden (neither is Harden, for the matter), but he'd be great as a second option.

Trae isn't the type of guy ready to make sacrifices who would be just happy throwing lobs to Vic.

How do you know that? I mean I don't know that he would be happy, but you can't know that he wouldn't.
That's why people in the front office are paid big money, to research and investigate shit.

And I mean, would the guy even want to come here?

He's apparently a Spurs fand and a Texas native, he already spoke highly on Wemby.
Take that as you will.

My entire problem with your take isn't that you don't want Trae, but that you're for some reason convinced Spurs would give up a farm for him and that he'd surely be a massive failure.
And then you try to spin the narrative the way it suits you, while straight up ignoring everything that's going against your take.
I'm acknowledging obvious flaws he has and I'd obviously rather get the next superstar point forward than undersized point guard, but odds of that happening are slim to none.

You can say that Trae would ruin the cap space or be the reason for Wemby leaving, but having a rookie point guard next season is way more likely to result in another sub-30 win season and frustration beginning to grow.

JPB
02-06-2024, 11:31 AM

:tu

ambchang
02-06-2024, 12:06 PM

As a player Tre is very different from Trae, and I don’t mean in terms of capabilities. Obviously Trae has a MUCH larger skill set and is clearly the better player, but Tre is a better floor general who can run an effective nba offence. Tre isn’t elite I that regard but he is satisfactory, or at best above average in that regard.

I felt Trae is a smaller poor man version of harden. Green light, great passer, get in lane, ball dominant, foul baiters, doesn’t do much on defence or off ball. They win you games but at the expense of the growth of the team. If the spurs are aiming to be pretenders then sure, go for it. They will be a playoff team for sure even in the competitive west, but the ceiling will likely be a 2nd round exit, or WCF if we get really lucky.

Kawhi Duncan
02-06-2024, 01:47 PM
As a player Tre is very different from Trae, and I don’t mean in terms of capabilities. Obviously Trae has a MUCH larger skill set and is clearly the better player, but Tre is a better floor general who can run an effective nba offence. Tre isn’t elite I that regard but he is satisfactory, or at best above average in that regard.

I felt Trae is a smaller poor man version of harden. Green light, great passer, get in lane, ball dominant, foul baiters, doesn’t do much on defence or off ball. They win you games but at the expense of the growth of the team. If the spurs are aiming to be pretenders then sure, go for it. They will be a playoff team for sure even in the competitive west, but the ceiling will likely be a 2nd round exit, or WCF if we get really lucky.

stop saying Trae is a great passer...tre is a great passer...4:1 turnover ratio and doesn't need the ball for 23 seconds to get assists...trae has a 2:1 ratio...he is an ok passer that gets a lot of highlight passes because he always has the ball...when players like Nash and cp3 were getting Trae's assist averages, they were doing it with significantly higher ast/turnover ratios (4:1)....those are elite passers...dont get caught up in Trae's flashiness...he is highly inefficient not just as a scorer, but as your lead playmaker...theres a reason his teammates have always had an issue with him throughout the years, and NBA players don't vote for him to be an all star...even Pop has issues with him since he got his last coach fired

ambchang
02-06-2024, 01:53 PM
stop saying Trae is a great passer...tre is a great passer...4:1 turnover ratio and doesn't need the ball for 23 seconds to get assists...trae has a 2:1 ratio...he is an ok passer that gets a lot of highlight passes because he always has the ball...when players like Nash and cp3 were getting Trae's assist averages, they were doing it with significantly higher ast/turnover ratios (4:1)....those are elite passers...dont get caught up in Trae's flashiness...he is highly inefficient not just as a scorer, but as your lead playmaker...theres a reason his teammates have always had an issue with him throughout the years, and NBA players don't vote for him to be an all star...even Pop has issues with him since he got his last coach fired

Yeah, should’ve said great highlight passer. He’s. It a bad player, I’d say fringe star, maybe even a legit star, but in the ilk of harden and westbrook. They show things that amaze sometimes but overall is just empty calories stat padding.

To clarify, I like Tre, not Trae. Tyus would be a decent stop gap target, not sure why people are so against it. These are improved versions of Avery Johnson, low mistake PGs who runs an offence well, sets up teammates, but will some issues with size. just that the jones brothers can actually shoot somewhat (compared to the little general).

If we can get a Luka or a Mitchell, yeah swing for the fences, I just don’t see Trae being that.

EricB
02-06-2024, 02:40 PM
Might not get the Toronto pick and even if they do I'm not sold Dillingham will still be on the board when the Spurs would make that pick. But Risacher or Williams plus Dillingham or Sheppard would be really nice. Or even better the #1 pick for Sarr and trade him for a vet.

Risacher the way it’s going is a top 4 guy.

think Dillingham stays in that 5-7 area.

Ariel
02-06-2024, 03:17 PM
think Dillingham stays in that 5-7 area.
Which teams would pick Dillingham before the Spurs?
Detroit? Cade, Ivey, Sasser...
Charlotte? Lamelo
Portland? Scoot, Simons, Brogdon
Memphis? Ja, and Shepphard seems like a better fit
Houston? FVV, Amen, Jalen Green

I could see Washington taking him but I don't think he's their first option. Say the Spurs get Toronto's pick... I can see him getting passed over bigger wings and lasting until 7, 8 or 9. Then he's available when the Spurs get to use Toronto's pick... and pass him over for some random guy with open growth plates and (supposedly) great character :lol

RC_Drunkford
02-06-2024, 03:49 PM
doesn't make sense to trade for Tyus Jones when we are looking to draft a PG. Unless you want your top 5 pick to spend a full season in the G-League

TD 21
02-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Charlotte? Lamelo

I could see Washington taking him but I don't think he's their first option. Say the Spurs get Toronto's pick... I can see him getting passed over bigger wings and lasting until 7, 8 or 9. Then he's available when the Spurs get to use Toronto's pick... and pass him over for some random guy with open growth plates and (supposedly) great character :lol

It's possible the Pistons could be high enough on Dillingham that they select him and shop Ivey.

Ball is big, not a POA defender and injury prone, so the Hornets could view Dillingham as a Rozier III replacement.

The Bulls, Craptors, Jazz (top 10 protected otherwise conveys to Thunder) and Wizards could all make sense.

Even the Hawks if they feel a Young trade request looming.

It's all moot anyway though since I maintain the Spurs won't draft Dillingham.

objective
02-06-2024, 05:19 PM
Charlotte? Lamelo

Charlotte did play Ball for years with a 6-1 combo scorer in Rosier, so I wouldn't write them off

But back to the subject of Trae Young....

Rozier might be a fair argument against. Not a great one, but there's something there ...

Basically the same size as Young, similar career 3pt% numbers, about the same volume of 3s per 100 possessions, and a decent passer though not nearly the level of Trae, and was scoring over 20 a game as a primary option ... He was available for a first round pick and expiring money.

Since he got to Miami he's been terrible and his numbers cut in half while he's struggling to adjust

Not saying Young would struggle that way, only that undersized combos who can shoot 35-36% from 3 on high volume is an gettable player for a first round pick and about $25 million a year

Kevin
02-06-2024, 05:31 PM
For all the talk about Youngs 3PT shooting he's shot 38% from 3 two out of the last three seasons at high volume.

Its so funny people picking Young apart even though he would be by far the best player on the team besides Wemby.

Young at 43M is way better than Vessel at 26M Keldon at 20M or Zollins at 18M.

As others have said once Young wears the silver and black all the criticism's will vanish especially once Lob City opens up with Wemby. It will be a special thing to behold

CorrectCrusader
02-06-2024, 05:53 PM
For all the talk about Youngs 3PT shooting he's shot 38% from 3 two out of the last three seasons at high volume.

Its so funny people picking Young apart even though he would be by far the best player on the team besides Wemby.

As others have said once Young wears the silver and black all the criticism's will vanish especially once Lob City opens up with Wemby. It will be a special thing to behold

People act like Trae is supposed to win a ring with us by himself. We have Wemby.

Kevin
02-06-2024, 05:59 PM
People act like Trae is supposed to win a ring with us by himself. We have Wemby.

For all his faults Young slots in as a second star or third star very well.

Tony Parker was our third star and he was ball heavy with no three shot and please no nonsense about how Parker's game wouldn't translate in today's era because of his lack of outside shooting. His speed and finishing translates to every era.

Seventyniner
02-06-2024, 06:39 PM
For all his faults Young slots in as a second star or third star very well.

Agreed. Given how the game is played today he would be a great fit on offense. He's easily the best fit next to Wemby of all the gettable stars.

r0drig0lac
02-06-2024, 06:40 PM

I felt Trae is a smaller poor man version of harden. Green light, great passer, get in lane, ball dominant, foul baiters, doesn’t do much on defence or off ball. They win you games but at the expense of the growth of the team. If the spurs are aiming to be pretenders then sure, go for it. They will be a playoff team for sure even in the competitive west, but the ceiling will likely be a 2nd round exit, or WCF if we get really lucky. really?

Ariel
02-06-2024, 06:45 PM
It's possible the Pistons could be high enough on Dillingham that they select him and shop Ivey.

Ball is big, not a POA defender and injury prone, so the Hornets could view Dillingham as a Rozier III replacement.

The Bulls, Craptors, Jazz (top 10 protected otherwise conveys to Thunder) and Wizards could all make sense.

Even the Hawks if they feel a Young trade request looming.

It's all moot anyway though since I maintain the Spurs won't draft Dillingham.
Detroit could add a 4th PG, but Troy Weaver is walking a thin line and he would need to be fired. I think he takes Sarr, Risacher, Cody Williams, or JaKobe Walter.
Charlotte I believe is trying to go for wings and positional size (Lamelo, Mark Williams, Brandon Miller). Last year they had to go with the highly touted PG in Scoot and they passed in favor or Brandon Miller (the right choice).
Chicago is outside the top 10, chances their own pick lands higher than the Spurs' are very slim. So is Utah, with the addition that their pick goes to OKC (top 10 protected), they're loaded at guard and I don't see Dillingham being their cup of tea.
Atlanta is both unlikely to be higher than the Spurs (currently at 9) AND loaded with PGs in Trae, Dejounte, and Kobe Bufkin. Their FO does highly value small and talented PGs (after all, traded back from Doncic to take on Trae) would they're under pressure to perform and I don't see them going that route unless they move from Trae.

Another possibility is that any of those teams disregards common sense and go for talent, it's not out of the question, but the point I'm trying to convey is not that it's not possible, but unlikely (even more than usual) that they take such a small guard that high in the draft. So I think chances are good he'll be available at the Raptors' pick if it conveys, which is why I didn't mention them (they could be a viable candidate to take a guard like him).

I also don't disagree that the Spurs won't draft Dillingham, but I think it'd be a mistake. I understand that we all look for archetypes and data suggests his isn't the most enticing one, but at some point you just have to look at the talent available and, if the gap is large enough, say fuck it and go with whomever you think is the best available and figure it out later. Dillingham could be a mix between Garland and Garland and Maxey, and I think if he was 3 inches taller iwth a bigger frame he'd be touted as a generational PG prospect, but now lots of people are focusing on other guys despite the fact he's routinely the best player on the floor. I just hope if he's there at 78/9 we don't pass on him for some guy who shoots 25% from 3 and will take years to develop.

scott
02-06-2024, 06:53 PM
doesn't make sense to trade for Tyus Jones when we are looking to draft a PG. Unless you want your top 5 pick to spend a full season in the G-League

Or you want your top 5 pick to be a wing.

TD 21
02-06-2024, 07:15 PM
Detroit could add a 4th PG, but Troy Weaver is walking a thin line and he would need to be fired. I think he takes Sarr, Risacher, Cody Williams, or JaKobe Walter.
Charlotte I believe is trying to go for wings and positional size (Lamelo, Mark Williams, Brandon Miller). Last year they had to go with the highly touted PG in Scoot and they passed in favor or Brandon Miller (the right choice).
Chicago is outside the top 10, chances their own pick lands higher than the Spurs' are very slim. So is Utah, with the addition that their pick goes to OKC (top 10 protected), they're loaded at guard and I don't see Dillingham being their cup of tea.
Atlanta is both unlikely to be higher than the Spurs (currently at 9) AND loaded with PGs in Trae, Dejounte, and Kobe Bufkin. Their FO does highly value small and talented PGs (after all, traded back from Doncic to take on Trae) would they're under pressure to perform and I don't see them going that route unless they move from Trae.

Another possibility is that any of those teams disregards common sense and go for talent, it's not out of the question, but the point I'm trying to convey is not that it's not possible, but unlikely (even more than usual) that they take such a small guard that high in the draft. So I think chances are good he'll be available at the Raptors' pick if it conveys, which is why I didn't mention them (they could be a viable candidate to take a guard like him).

I also don't disagree that the Spurs won't draft Dillingham, but I think it'd be a mistake. I understand that we all look for archetypes and data suggests his isn't the most enticing one, but at some point you just have to look at the talent available and, if the gap is large enough, say fuck it and go with whomever you think is the best available and figure it out later. Dillingham could be a mix between Garland and Garland and Maxey, and I think if he was 3 inches taller iwth a bigger frame he'd be touted as a generational PG prospect, but now lots of people are focusing on other guys despite the fact he's routinely the best player on the floor. I just hope if he's there at 78/9 we don't pass on him for some guy who shoots 25% from 3 and will take years to develop.

Cunningham is a lead guard on offense, but a big wing on defense. Ivey is a combo guard and Hayes will be gone by the off season at the latest. Obviously, where they pick will play a significant role though.

Henderson wouldn't have paired as well with Ball as Dillingham theoretically would, because the latter is a much better shooter and lesser pedigreed prospect who's viewed as more of a combo than lead guard.

I know, but still.

That was a different Hawks front office regime and Young was considered in a different tier as a prospect than Dillingham, but the former's mindset will be clearer by the draft.

That too.

I agree, but it's just not just about archetype for the front office, but their narrow minded view of what a Spurs "should" be.

ambchang
02-06-2024, 07:43 PM
really?

Not sure why not. Tre manages the offence quite well and directs the guys to the spots. He sets up his teammates well. Tre on the other hand is out to get his first.

Frenchfred
02-06-2024, 08:08 PM

Except that he has a 15% trade kicker so it’ll be 49 million. Do we want to pay 49 millions for a guy who doesn’t defend, doesn’t shoot that great and turns the ball over a lot? That’s taking a big chunk of the payroll.

tbdog
02-06-2024, 08:12 PM
My main concern for a deal to get Young, if there is a deal to be made, is Vassell and Sochan gets included. I really think those 2 would be the best complimentary fits for team for a Tre and Wemby.

vy65
02-06-2024, 08:37 PM
My main concern for a deal to get Young, if there is a deal to be made, is Vassell and Sochan gets included. I really think those 2 would be the best complimentary fits for team for a Tre and Wemby.

One thing to consider is the hawks lose leverage the longer they wait. Young has an ETO that could make him a 2026 free agent. Essentially, that’s a 2 year window for the Hawks to piece together a team that would give Young a reason to stay. I don’t think they’re currently on that course. If that pattern holds, Young can do what so many other stars do and give his preferred list and have the Hawks watch his value nosedive. If SA was one of his preferred destinations, it’s not inconceivable that the actual package wouldn’t be godawful for us

baseline bum
02-06-2024, 09:00 PM
Charlotte? Lamelo

I could see Detroit taking him since Cade is 6'6" so they could play next to each other. Washington obviously. Not sure why you're thinking Houston wouldn't take him if he's best available. Amen is raw and still a major project with some real bust potential while they already have a higher upside and much higher floor swing 3/4 than Risacher/Williams in Jabari Smith. And if some teams drafting 4-7 don't want Dillingham but don't like the steep dropoff in talent they can always trade the pick to someone who wants a PG. Maybe the Spurs get lucky and Rob slides to 7-9 where they could take him with a hypothetical Toronto pick that has conveyed but I wouldn't count on the stars aligning for it to happen.

baseline bum
02-06-2024, 09:03 PM

Do you think Trae Young has better trade value of Durant from a year ago? I don't see it.

Ariel
02-06-2024, 09:11 PM
I could see Detroit taking him since Cade is 6'6" so they could play next to each other. Washington obviously. Not sure why you're thinking Houston wouldn't take him if he's best available. Amen is raw and still a major project with some real bust potential while they already have a higher upside and much higher floor swing 3/4 than Risacher/Williams in Jabari Smith. And if some teams drafting 4-7 don't want Dillingham but don't like the steep dropoff in talent they can always trade the pick to someone who wants a PG. Maybe the Spurs get lucky and Rob slides to 7-9 where they could take him with a hypothetical Toronto pick that has conveyed but I wouldn't count on the stars aligning for it to happen.
Detroit has a horrendous logjam at guard and is completely devoid of wings, with Troy Weaver's job on the line, if he takes Dillingham and doesn't pan out instantly he'll be out of a job before he has a chance to be vindicated. Risacher or Cody Williams are much more defensible picks, even if all Risacher does is shoot from 3 and not be a cone on defense, due to their horrendous roster construction the Pistons will be better served by taking him.

Houston seems to be focused on winning now, they have too many young guards and even then, Dillingham doesn't seem to be an Ime kind of guy (defense first). With that said, they seem to value talent more than anything (that's why they didn't hesitate to take Sengun and Cam Whitmore and it's paying off) so I don't completely rule it out, all I'm saying is that even in the case he's their pick, chances are they'll pick after the Spurs pick twice, so it's not them I worry about.

Like I said, unless he goes ballistic in the NCAA tournament and takes Kentucky to the title (quite possible, actually) I would not put my money on him being a top 5/6 pick, so he could be there for the taking even if he's not the Spurs' first choice. I just hope they don't pass on him twice, because every time he torches us it's going to sting.

SpursBills
02-07-2024, 12:09 AM

James Harden is really an excellent comparison both negative and positive for how Trae would affect a team. The guy plays a heliocentric style, plays terrible defense, and basically forces everyone to conform to him. On the one hand, he's always come up short with his style both with Houston and in Philly as his foul-baiting causes his efficiency to take a nosedive in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I think Harden has been a huge part of the clippers' recent run. He's basically turned Zubac into a useful player and taken over a lot of the playmaking duties from Kawhi to allow him to focus on defense and iso scoring. Clippers were basically floundering before the trade and after an initial rocky start they've just been dominating the competition. Harden's made some of the more one-dimensional guys on that team more useful. After his horrible start to the season Trae's shooting 40% from 3 on the season

As far as Trae, like I said earlier, it's a big risk for sure and obviously comes down to roster construction and price. If you draft a high level 3 and D wing he's probably going make our offensive pieces make more sense. He'd require careful coaching though to make sure he doesn't stunt the development of our young guys and act as a crutch to prevent them from developing their independent offensive games. I'd probably do Atlanta picks/swap + Keldon + salary filler but not much more than that because of how turnover prone he is limiting how efficient an offense he's driving

TimmyBuckets
02-07-2024, 09:39 PM
Trae is a top 3-5 guard in the league. Anyone who doesn’t think that’s an insane duo is crazy.

Kawhi Duncan
02-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Trae is a top 3-5 guard in the league. Anyone who doesn’t think that’s an insane duo is crazy.

Highlights are fooling u... He is a highly inefficient scorer, and for your lead PG he has a bad assist/turnover ratio

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-08-2024, 01:07 AM

Haliburton, Brunson, Mitchell, SGA, Curry - there’s 5. Guess I’m crazy. I could add 10 more and you’d be hard-pressed to make a case for Trae.

Ignazzz
02-08-2024, 01:39 AM
Haliburton, Brunson, Mitchell, SGA, Curry - there’s 5. Guess I’m crazy. I could add 10 more and you’d be hard-pressed to make a case for Trae.

Agree, very hot take
not 5 not 4 but maybe top 3 guard ( so both positions?)
top 3-5 guard . Wow

where is Luka Doncic?

top 7 only PGs can be ok ( without Ja Mo)
without Booker Harden Mitchel maybe Edwards (SF?)

R. DeMurre
02-08-2024, 12:14 PM

For me, the big question is salary. Trae Young will get paid $43mil next year, while Tre Jones will get paid $9mil. By taking on Trae's salary, the Spurs would be locked in to the two top future salary slots being spoken for with Wemby and Trae. Moving Wemby to center and starting Jones moved the Sours from a bottom of the league defense to a middle of the league defense. Adding Young would be taking a step back from that. Is Young a good player? Sure. Is he better than two well rounded two way players each making $21mil a year, or three solid players making, say, $21mil, $15mil, and $7mil? I don't think he is.

Kevin
02-08-2024, 01:49 PM
For me, the big question is salary. Trae Young will get paid $43mil next year, while Tre Jones will get paid $9mil. By taking on Trae's salary, the Spurs would be locked in to the two top future salary slots being spoken for with Wemby and Trae. Moving Wemby to center and starting Jones moved the Sours from a bottom of the league defense to a middle of the league defense. Adding Young would be taking a step back from that. Is Young a good player? Sure. Is he better than two well rounded two way players each making $21mil a year, or three solid players making, say, $21mil, $15mil, and $7mil? I don't think he is.

I'd rather have Young at 43M than Keldon and Dev at 46M combined next season. Throw Zollins in and it would be 64M.

The Spurs have a good chance at assembling a big three in one offseason if they trade for Young and hit on their top pick.

LeBowen
02-08-2024, 01:54 PM
I'd rather have Young at 43M than Keldon and Dev at 46M combined next season. Throw Zollins in and it would be 64M.

The Spurs have a good chance at assembling a big three in one offseason if they trade for Young and hit on their top pick.

Yeah, can't look at salaries with just the numbers, it's all about timing.

Hell, I'd rather have Trae at 43M than Devin at 30M.
He's nowhere near worth 30M at his current level.

Trae's deal alligns with Webmy's rookie deal, both expire in 2027.
So it's not like the Spurs would be locked in two max deals right away.

He'd always be easy to trade if he stays healthy for more or less the same value.

Anyhow, it's not happening before summer even if it happens.
Who knows which players might become available in July.

Kevin
02-08-2024, 02:36 PM
Yeah, can't look at salaries with just the numbers, it's all about timing.

Hell, I'd rather have Trae at 43M than Devin at 30M.
He's nowhere near worth 30M at his current level.

Trae's deal alligns with Webmy's rookie deal, both expire in 2027.
So it's not like the Spurs would be locked in two max deals right away.

He'd always be easy to trade if he stays healthy for more or less the same value.

Anyhow, it's not happening before summer even if it happens.
Who knows which players might become available in July.

A Young deal needs to happen in the summer. Give the Hawks all their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins.

exstatic
02-08-2024, 07:11 PM
A Young deal needs to happen in the summer. Give the Hawks all their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins.

Yes, let’s lock ourselves in a room and bid against ourselves. If they had an offer even close to that, he’d be on another team by now, which means they haven’t had one. His market is very cool. If I wanted him, and I don’t but this is just a thought exercise on how NOT to bid against yourself, I’d offer back both the 27 ATL pick and the CHA pick, and throw in the 2025 CHI pick. Under NO circumstance do they get the 25 pick or the 26 swap. If they don’t like that, they can shove it up their ass.

Kevin
02-08-2024, 07:16 PM
Yes, let’s lock ourselves in a room and bid against ourselves. If they had an offer even close to that, he’d be on another team by now, which means they haven’t had one. His market is very cool. If I wanted him, and I don’t but this is just a thought exercise on how NOT to bid against yourself, I’d offer back both the 27 ATL pick and the CHA pick, and throw in the 2025 CHI pick. Under NO circumstance do they get the 25 pick or the 26 swap. If they don’t like that, they can shove it up their ass.

Young isn't for sale as of the deadline.

The Hawks will only deal Young to the Spurs because we control their picks. If Young isn't dealt to the Spurs then he stays in Atlanta and those picks hover in 8-10 range. You're not getting Flagg or Boozer with those picks. Let it go.

exstatic
02-08-2024, 07:17 PM
Young isn't for sale as of the deadline.

The Hawks will only deal Young to the Spurs because we control their picks. If Young isn't dealt to the Spurs then he stays in Atlanta and those picks hover in 8-10 range. You're not getting Flagg or Boozer with those picks. Let it go.

He’s been for sale since last summer.

Kevin
02-08-2024, 07:23 PM
He’s been for sale since last summer.

Ok whatever you say.

mo7888
02-08-2024, 07:33 PM

I'd rather not.... nobody is going to pay that for him

Kevin
02-08-2024, 07:43 PM
I'd rather not.... nobody is going to pay that for him

Hornets pick is a junk asset by and large plus a bad contact is being thrown in.

TimmyBuckets
02-08-2024, 08:18 PM

yes that’s crazy because Trae is on the same level as SGA and curry offensively. Mitchell lol. Trae is easily a top 3-5 guard offensively. You’re not getting a guy like Trae in FA as the Spurs. Be happy he mentioned this team. With Wemby that’s a deadly duo.

mo7888
02-08-2024, 08:59 PM
Hornets pick is a junk asset by and large plus a bad contact is being thrown in.

But nobody is giving them the equivalent of their picks back... What would we even be competing against?

The Truth #6
02-08-2024, 09:22 PM
Speaking of ridiculous scenarios. Trae demands a trade to the Spurs. His value drops. RC and Brian find themselves in an uncomfortable situation. Trade packages are discussed. In the end, a trade materializes but Trae ends up elsewhere but Brian then sees an opportunity to make it a three team deal to trade Cedi for a second round pick. Lol.

manufan10
02-08-2024, 09:39 PM

Ariel
02-08-2024, 09:49 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-deadline-2024-low-key-day-improves-odds-for-summer-blockbusters-020104872.html

There are several front offices that listened to Atlanta’s pre-deadline chatter and came away from conversations with the Hawks of the belief Trae Young could become available for trade this summer — depending on Atlanta’s outcome for the remainder of this campaign. That could very well prove to be wishful thinking from rival teams, just like league personnel will hope and pray that Joel Embiid becomes available in Philadelphia, or Giannis Antetokounmpo becomes available in Milwaukee, and so on. But for now, one spot other than Los Angeles that’s repeatedly been mentioned by NBA figures as a potential home for Young — if Atlanta were to ever consider parting with its franchise face and All-Star lead ball-handler — is San Antonio. The Spurs do lack a clear-cut pick-and-roll partner for rookie sensation Victor Wembanyama.

Seventyniner
02-08-2024, 09:53 PM
Trae to the Spurs for all of the Hawks' draft capital back makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Sure the Spurs could try to play hardball with the Hawks and hold back a pick, but I don't think the Hawks are willing to accept the embarrassment of trading Trae for less than what they sent for Dejounte. Even for equal amounts it will be somewhat embarrassing but that can be mitigated some by the Spurs sending out Keldon, for example.

The Spurs can also just roll the dice and not trade those Hawks picks or swap at all. That's quite risky, taking the "two in the bush" strategy. The chances that any of those three picks turns into a player better than Trae is pretty low.

JPB
02-09-2024, 04:43 AM
If anyone wants to see that happening with Wemby, I don't... Remember he's the first one with the ball in his hands as a PG. And that Hawks have regressed even since Murray signed with them. They are 22-29 as we're speaking.

(Per ESPN):

When Young is on the bench, Murray has produced at an All-Star level himself. According to data from PBPstats.com, Murray is averaging 26.0 points and 7.4 assists per 36 minutes with a .598 true shooting percentage (TS%) without Young. Those marks compare closely to All-Star starter Damian Lillard's production this season with the Milwaukee Bucks: 25.4 points and 6.9 assists per 36 minutes on identical .598 TS%.

When he plays with Young, Murray's production dips to 19.5 points and 4.0 assists per 36 minutes with a poor .534 TS%.

Kawhi Duncan
02-09-2024, 06:22 AM
yes that’s crazy because Trae is on the same level as SGA and curry offensively. Mitchell lol. Trae is easily a top 3-5 guard offensively. You’re not getting a guy like Trae in FA as the Spurs. Be happy he mentioned this team. With Wemby that’s a deadly duo.

You don't watch much Trae for you to make a statement that silly... Trae shoots 43% from the field in his 6th season... Needs that ball in his hands every second on offense and is a bad passer when you take that into account at 2:1 assist to turnover ratio... Y'all only pay attention to him when he plays against us and it's warping the reality of what type of player he is... His own teammates don't like him

Ariel
02-09-2024, 10:20 AM
I think at the end of the day it's Trae who gets traded, because he'll get them a larger return. Only hope it's not to the Spurs, at least not for the haul many are eager to throw at Atlanta around here.

Kevin
02-09-2024, 10:38 AM
If anyone wants to see that happening with Wemby, I don't... Remember he's the first one with the ball in his hands as a PG. And that Hawks have regressed even since Murray signed with them. They are 22-29 as we're speaking.

(Per ESPN):

When Young is on the bench, Murray has produced at an All-Star level himself. According to data from PBPstats.com, Murray is averaging 26.0 points and 7.4 assists per 36 minutes with a .598 true shooting percentage (TS%) without Young. Those marks compare closely to All-Star starter Damian Lillard's production this season with the Milwaukee Bucks: 25.4 points and 6.9 assists per 36 minutes on identical .598 TS%.

When he plays with Young, Murray's production dips to 19.5 points and 4.0 assists per 36 minutes with a poor .534 TS%.

Young and Murray are both PG's so it makes sense that DJM production takes a big hit when he plays out of position with Young on the floor. That wont be a problem with Wemby.

ismael-robert
02-09-2024, 12:36 PM
Deadline passed move on

R. DeMurre
02-09-2024, 12:37 PM

Trae is nowhere near Steph's level. Steph is the all time greatest high volume 3 point shooter in history of the NBA. Trae is a good player who shoots completely average percentages on high volume. Still valuable, but nowhere near Curry.

Career numbers:

3pt%
Steph: 42.7%
Trae: 35.5%

eFG%
Steph: 58.4%
Trae: 50.7%

TS%
Steph: 62.7%
Trae: 58.1%

2pt%
Steph: 52.4%
Trae: 49%

exstatic
02-09-2024, 12:40 PM
Trae is nowhere near Steph's level. Steph is the all time greatest high volume 3 point shooter in history of the NBA. Trae is a good player who shoots completely average percentages on high volume. Still valuable, but nowhere near Curry.

Career numbers:

3pt%
Steph: 42.7%
Trae: 35.5%

eFG%
Steph: 58.4%
Trae: 50.7%

TS%
Steph: 62.7%
Trae: 58.1%

2pt%
Steph: 52.4%
Trae: 49%

Those are shots that will be coming off Wemby’s plate, btw.

K...
02-09-2024, 12:41 PM
Deadline passed move on

off season will be coming soon

LeBowen
02-09-2024, 12:46 PM

What about shots Wemby would get because of Trae since he wouldn't be missing any of those obvious lobs and easy pnr passes?

objective
02-09-2024, 01:25 PM
Trae Young is on a streak of games with at least 5 assists that has only been exceeded by Stockton, Magic, and Isiah Thomas

manufan10
02-09-2024, 02:24 PM

DJM averages more FGA than Wemby does while playing with Trae. Bogdanovic isn't too far behind Wemby in FGA. Pray tell how they can get those shots while Trae is "taking them off their plate."

exstatic
02-09-2024, 02:42 PM
What about shots Wemby would get because of Trae since he wouldn't be missing any of those obvious lobs and easy pnr passes?

Wemby can be MUCH more than a lob threat if paired with lower usage player than Trae. Trae has an ELITE lob threat in Capela. They’re a sub .500 team. Turning Wemby into a lob threat is something most any PG can do. He’ll, Tre Jones did it. Here’s a little secret most haven’t figured out. We don’t need Trae’s scoring. Wemby Unleashed will be our 30 point scorer, and you can’t have two on one team.

spurraider21
02-09-2024, 02:54 PM
Wemby can be MUCH more than a lob threat if paired with lower usage player than Trae. Trae has an ELITE lob threat in Capela. They’re a sub .500 team. Turning Wemby into a lob threat is something most any PG can do. He’ll, Tre Jones did it. Here’s a little secret most haven’t figured out. We don’t need Trae’s scoring. Wemby Unleashed will be our 30 point scorer, and you can’t have two on one team.
you are pretending that wemby will only be a lob threat if playing alongside Trae

you have some chicken/egg dilemma with the capela/wemby comparison. capela is only a lob threat because thats his only cognizable skill on offense. he's not limited to merely a lob threat because Trae is only capable of facilitating via lob. its because he's a limited player.

Seventyniner
02-09-2024, 03:03 PM
Trae is not a hyper efficient shooter, but he is capable of making pullup threes off the PnR which bends the defense, and he's a really good PnR ballhandler in general.

I get concerns about his heliocentric style but he has always been the #1 guy on the team. As a #2 behind Wemby, or even a #1a with him, he would look even better.

And Trae's usage rate isn't anywhere close to MVP Harden or Westbrook. Hell, this season Trae's usage rate is 30.7%; Wemby's is higher at 31.9%.

LeBowen
02-09-2024, 03:15 PM
Trae started the season cold, with 35% FG and 28% 3pt in his first 11 games.
Since then, he's been at 45% FG and 40% 3pt over the last 35 games.
28/11 with 4.4 turnovers.

There aren't many potential point guard targets for the Spurs.
It's just Trae and DJ as things stand now.
Garland could become available if Mitchell signs a new deal.
Other young point guards are more or less untouchable.
Celtics might not be able to keep Derrick and we could bring him back if they fail again in the playoffs and decide to retool.

For me it's simple, down to two options.
Either we draft a point guard or get one of these targets in the summer.
I'd prefer Risacher and a proven point guard, but that's jut my irrelevant opinion.

Kevin
02-12-2024, 11:40 AM
It cant be understated at how incompatible Young and Murray are together on the floor.

Young's worst two man lineup is with Murray. His best three man lineup with Murray is 7th of out 9th. His worst four man lineup is with DJM. Those two cannot play together because they're both ball heavy PG's who struggle playing off ball. They're clearly depressing each others effectiveness.

Cant wait to see Young be the undisputed PG with Wemby at C. Should be special on offense.

scott
02-12-2024, 01:18 PM
We don’t need Trae’s scoring.

We rank 24th in points per game and 27th in ORTG.

We don't necessarily need Trae's scoring... but we need SOMEONE's.

itzsoweezee
02-15-2024, 12:58 PM
We rank 24th in points per game and 27th in ORTG.

We don't necessarily need Trae's scoring... but we need SOMEONE's.

Yeah. I don’t know how you watch this team and think the offensive firepower is just fine. The offense is trash. No one can create their own shot (other than Vassell, and he’s still inefficient), there is no shooting, and we have a total of one facilitator on the entire roster.

I’m not necessarily sold on Trae, though. It depends on the draft capital going back to Atlanta.