PDA

View Full Version : Is Champagnie, aka "The Invisible Man," the most useless player in the NBA?

SouthernFryd
02-04-2024, 10:22 AM
Worth a shot...

exstatic
02-04-2024, 10:34 AM
Is southernfryd,who can’t help himself from starting these cookie cutter fill in the player name thread, the most useless poster on ST?

NASpurs
02-04-2024, 10:48 AM
He's actually been playing pretty good defense as of late.

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 10:54 AM
He's actually been playing pretty good defense as of late.

Not nearly enough to justify his minutes, nevertheless starting position... He is an average defender that can't shoot well enough to stop the paint from being clogged when anyone gets the ball in space... Horrible passer... Low IQ, and can't drive

NASpurs
02-04-2024, 10:59 AM
Not nearly enough to justify his minutes, nevertheless starting position... He is an average defender that can't shoot well enough to stop the paint from being clogged when anyone gets the ball in space... Horrible passer... Low IQ, and can't drive

I mean, he's not Branham levels of useless but I'm also not justifying him starting. Just looking at one positive in a team lacking in depth and quality.

The Truth #6
02-04-2024, 11:01 AM
I think he's a player thrust into a role that is beyond him. He could be useful in a few years as an affordable bench 9-10th man once the team finally finds an identity. I'm not saying he's good but he's not horrible and is still probably a better option than McD at least for defense.

SpursBills
02-04-2024, 11:05 AM
I mean he’s getting paid 3 million this year, which is the going rate for a deep bench player. You want to call out anyone for underperforming this year it should probably be Collins

DesignatedT
02-04-2024, 11:11 AM
He has g league talent for sure

bluebellmaniac
02-04-2024, 11:17 AM
Is southernfryd,who can’t help himself from starting these cookie cutter fill in the player name thread, the most useless poster on ST?
Yes

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 11:21 AM
I mean, he's not Branham levels of useless but I'm also not justifying him starting. Just looking at one positive in a team lacking in depth and quality.

He is so bad, I think we would be a better team if Doug started in his place... He isn't much worse of a defender, and a MUCH bigger shooting threat to the point where even if he isn't scoring, he absolutely creates enough space for Wemby and others to drive to the basket... Almost all of our posessions currently where anyone drives, or Wemby posts up, there's at least 3 defenders in the paint because they have zero respect for the person they're guarding

Kawhi Duncan
02-04-2024, 11:22 AM
I think he's a player thrust into a role that is beyond him. He could be useful in a few years as an affordable bench 9-10th man once the team finally finds an identity. I'm not saying he's good but he's not horrible and is still probably a better option than McD at least for defense.

You overrated his defense... He and Doug are very similar defensively, except Doug actually spaces the floor...

Joseph Kony
02-04-2024, 11:23 AM
like all players, given enough minutes he will do some positive stuff here and there. but overall he sucks, he is not an NBA level player and he starts for us for fucks sake :lol the sniffers will tell you otherwise because he makes a couple solid plays once every 5-6 games but the reality is this dude wouldnt get minutes on 29 other teams, let alone start for them. he starts out of necessity because our roster overall is trash

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-04-2024, 11:31 AM
Our roster is generally terrible, so why not start at least 11 of these threads? I’m saddened by your lack of dedication to the cause.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2024, 11:51 AM
well, he's probably the least talented starter in the league, so there's that.

exstatic
02-04-2024, 12:14 PM
He is so bad, I think we would be a better team if Doug started in his place... He isn't much worse of a defender, and a MUCH bigger shooting threat to the point where even if he isn't scoring, he absolutely creates enough space for Wemby and others to drive to the basket... Almost all of our posessions currently where anyone drives, or Wemby posts up, there's at least 3 defenders in the paint because they have zero respect for the person they're guarding
Nothing in this post is true. Doug is worse than Branham on defense, and has to be pulled if he’s not shooting.

Dverde
02-04-2024, 12:19 PM
He has g league talent for sure

He dominates G Leaguers, he’s a fringe rotational NBA players. He’s still very young, I don’t mind this project player since his defense is solid, it Branham’s lack of defense which bothers me more, he’s only going to worse as he ages if that’s possible.

baseline bum
02-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Nothing in this post is true. Doug is worse than Branham on defense, and has to be pulled if he’s not shooting.

No he isn't. Branham lets his man shoot over 55% against him. McDermott is bad defensively but at least he can shoot. Branham is a waste and the only thing he does not poorly is FT shooting.

Big Empty
02-04-2024, 12:35 PM
For 3 million a year no. Anything positive we get out of him great. Collins on the other hand pound for pound probably the worst given his contract

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2024, 12:52 PM
longtime Spurs fans should know that this is just another "let me see which scrub I can start, so I can look like a genius" move by Popovich. We've seen this with Matt Bonner, Bryn Forbes, Trey Lyles, Rasho Nesterovic and countless others. At least he's better than Branham.

John B
02-04-2024, 12:54 PM
Champagnie is overperforming. He would need to be a lock-down defender like Danny Green to be in the starting line-up in a contender team. Lately he’s shown great strides, has had opportunistic blocks, able to stay in front of his guy. Already he can be a good role player, but he’s starting now because Spurs current team is depleted.

Jordan Jackson
02-04-2024, 01:00 PM
longtime Spurs fans should know that this is just another "let me see which scrub I can start, so I can look like a genius" move by Popovich. We've seen this with Matt Bonner, Bryn Forbes, Trey Lyles, Rasho Nesterovic and countless others. At least he's better than Barnham.

Barnham. Not sure if typo or not but it works.

John B
02-04-2024, 01:14 PM
Champagnie is a very good reclamation project. Again he needs to be a lock-down defender like Danny Green to be in the starting line-up. But already he is worth the contract as a back-up SG/SF at the least.

FkLA
02-04-2024, 07:54 PM
He plays 20 mpg. He's just in there to stagger KJ's minutes and allow KJ to be in more line-ups where his "put my head down and go get mine" style isn't as detrimental.

rascal
02-04-2024, 07:57 PM
I'd rather have Branham getting Champ's minutes. Need to see if Branham can get out of his poor play. Champ will never amount to anything anyways. He doesn't have any upside.

Spurs burned a first round pick on Branham so just keep playing him to see if he shows anything, the season is lost anyways. Wesley has improved and many were ready to give up on him.

FutureMan
02-04-2024, 11:20 PM
I'd rather have Branham getting Champ's minutes. Need to see if Branham can get out of his poor play. Champ will never amount to anything anyways. He doesn't have any upside.

Spurs burned a first round pick on Branham so just keep playing him to see if he shows anything, the season is lost anyways. Wesley has improved and many were ready to give up on him.

Branham needs to earn his way back.

I get that it’s not entirely his fault since he played too much last year instead of playing in the gleague but honestly it’s still on him to figure it out.

Champagnie as a starter appears to be a placeholder for whoever the Spurs draft.

CorrectCrusader
02-04-2024, 11:37 PM

I mean sure, he's not starter quality in the NBA, but who else are we gonna play over him? Our wing depth is terrible.

rascal
02-05-2024, 01:45 AM
Branham needs to earn his way back.

I get that it’s not entirely his fault since he played too much last year instead of playing in the gleague but honestly it’s still on him to figure it out.

Champagnie as a starter appears to be a placeholder for whoever the Spurs draft.

Champagnie didn't earn his minutes. He has never looked very good.

Raven
02-05-2024, 08:53 AM
easily a starter for years to come.

spursparker9
02-05-2024, 09:06 AM
Hard to tell. Branham is in consideration too

JPB
02-05-2024, 10:47 AM
Bring on Risacher tbh.

FutureMan
02-05-2024, 11:13 AM
Champagnie didn't earn his minutes. He has never looked very good.

Again, I believe Champagnie is not intended to start next year. The whole idea seems to be to get Johnson to move to the bench to make way for whoever they draft next year. Risacher, Salaun, etc.

Ocotillo
02-05-2024, 03:08 PM
Champagnie showed well late last season with the caveat that was against opponents who were tanking or resting players etc... and he had a hot shooting streak. He did very well in Summer League but has laid an egg since.

He has shown some improvements in other areas only recently and with his contract is worth hanging onto unless something better comes along but he should be an end of the bench guy more than likely.

He is starting only to have Keldon be the bench spark.

jjspur
02-05-2024, 03:33 PM
Champ is 3 million dollar player who really should be at the end of the 2nd team or in the 11 -12th player range. If we get anything more, its a plus for the spurs. But to ask him to be a competent starter, that's a bit much especially at his salary.. We definitely need and infusion of talent, one ore two players better than Champ. I think there are players out there available for trade for a second or two (which we readily have). Hopefully we stay away reclamation projects that can't make it on a decent team and don't do much on the spurs either. Lets see what happens at the deadline.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2024, 05:47 PM
He's not even the most useless player on his team. This is a stupid fucking thread.

jeebus
02-05-2024, 06:10 PM
Hard to tell. Branham is in consideration too

Branham is the answer. Penny is someone who can't shoot but can sometimes defend and is 6'7. Branham is someone who can't shoot and can't defend, and plays the SF spot at 6'4. At least Penny knows he isn't that guy and tries to call his own number.

wildbill2u
02-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Champagnie isn't good enough to keep this starting slot. I'd rather watch someone else who would be more fun. Barlow? Kendall? Osman? Almost anyone?

objective
02-13-2024, 06:27 PM
Champagnie isn't good enough to keep this starting slot. I'd rather watch someone else who would be more fun. Barlow? Kendall? Osman? Almost anyone?

Sissoko could be fun

Is he on the Road Trip?

onechance87
02-13-2024, 06:34 PM
man i thought we got him on a cheap deal.Even its just a few million seems to be overpaid.

Ocotillo
02-13-2024, 07:53 PM
Kendall who?

objective
02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Free Sidy!

Get Champagnie off the court

onechance87
02-14-2024, 11:57 PM
Free Sidy!

yup agreed....About that time we change it up...Sidy dont shoot well but so far neither does champ.

z0sa
02-15-2024, 01:23 AM
This guy is the biggest culprit when it comes to blown opportunities on the whole team, tbh.

itzsoweezee
02-15-2024, 01:39 AM
Free Sidy!

Between Champagnie and Branham, the latter is much less deserving of minutes.

freetiago
02-15-2024, 01:48 AM
Osman should be starting with Julian getting a tiny amount of minutes. Osman is capable and will put up enough empty stats to increase his trade value. Also probably the only other player with a brain on the team besides Tre and Victor

Ditty
02-15-2024, 02:53 AM
If Champ wasn't shooting lights out to end the season last year, he would probably still be in the G-League.

Wemby/Barlow
Sochan/Sandro
Cedi/Keldon
DV/Branham
Jones/Wesley

needs to be our rotation after the ASB.

jermaine
02-15-2024, 07:43 AM
Imy 1st time seeing these Spurs in person since Kawhi. I live in Dallas.. but Keldon is even worse in Person. He's worse than Champagnie by miles. He's waaaay more paid.