PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Should the AllStar game just go away?

lebomb
02-19-2024, 07:35 AM
OMG what a joke that game was. I dont think any of the NBA players care at all. 211-186? IS you kiddin me? Absolutely ZERO defense and jackin up 3pt shots like rainfall. Why do we even have this game anymore? Maybe some incentives will bring this game back to life? $500K bonus to the winning team/players? Free Gwagons to the side pieces of these players? Who knows. Its unwatchable anymore. :pctoss

lefty
02-19-2024, 08:43 AM
All star games in any sport have always been pointless, glorified exhibition games, so I don’t get it when people bitch about players not playing hard or no defense

smh

ambchang
02-19-2024, 09:02 AM
Accordingly to lefty it’s high scoring because of the skills involved. Yesterdays plumbers and accountants couldn’t even post up 150 in an all star game lol.

lebomb
02-19-2024, 09:12 AM
All star games in any sport have always been pointless, glorified exhibition games, so I don’t get it when people bitch about players not playing hard or no defense

smh

Un smh........... in the "REAL" NBA the teams actually cared a little bit. The intensity of the AllStar game definitely picked up in the 3rd and especially the 4th quarter. Now all deez niggras are friends and do not care to beat the other side. Sad and its totally ruined the AllStar game, which was at least half way decent back in the "REAL" NBA.

lefty
02-19-2024, 09:29 AM
Un smh........... in the "REAL" NBA the teams actually cared a little bit. The intensity of the AllStar game definitely picked up in the 3rd and especially the 4th quarter. Now all deez niggras are friends and do not care to beat the other side. Sad and its totally ruined the AllStar game, which was at least half way decent back in the "REAL" NBA.
No they didn't give a shit except a few all star games
And when they did it was pretty stupid , it's a fucking exhibition game, not game 7 of the Finals

Some players in the "good ol' days" even said they would skip the ASG but Stern wouldn't have been happy about it

I don't blame today's players for not giving a shit about the asg tbh

lefty
02-19-2024, 09:30 AM
Accordingly to lefty (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896) it’s high scoring because of the skills involved. Yesterdays plumbers and accountants couldn’t even post up 150 in an all star game lol.
Well duh. it's logical

Neo.
02-19-2024, 09:33 AM
why risk hurting yourself in a meaningless game, especially since mj-stans and the media made it so that star player legacies are entirely dependent on winning a boatload of championships and that if you don't you are an utter failure of a basketball player

lebomb
02-19-2024, 09:36 AM
why risk hurting yourself in a meaningless game, especially since mj-stans and the media made it so that star player legacies are entirely dependent on winning a boatload of championships and that if you don't you are an utter failure of a basketball player

EXACTLY!!! Thats why I asked should it just go away? Its really become stupid IMHO. :rolleyes

Neo.
02-19-2024, 10:39 AM
EXACTLY!!! Thats why I asked should it just go away? Its really become stupid IMHO. :rolleyes

or maybe viewers should simply not expect a serious game, but rather a borderline comedy show, which is what it's been for as long as I can remember. the only times I've seen seriousness (in any era, not just modern era as some people make it out to be) is if the game is close in the 4th. otherwise it's basically been the same, just great players goofing around and showing off some highlights that normally can't happen in competitive, meaningful games.

MultiTroll
02-19-2024, 11:21 AM
Commissioner Fabbs would bring in the dancing teams from all the clubs that have them and have a dance off.

Teams with spineless owners like the Spurs, without cheerleaders would be fined heavily.

KobesAchilles
02-19-2024, 12:03 PM
Teams don’t even try in the regular season. Why would they try in an all star game? The game is a joke nowadays. Tbh I view to 2020s as the equivalent to the 1960s. Both are a joke.

jeebus
02-19-2024, 12:31 PM
This is the league Adam Silver had wet dreams about and if he doesn't like how it turned out, then too bad.

baseline bum
02-19-2024, 01:03 PM
It's like The Simpsons. I'll tune in for old time's sake and then 3 1/2 minutes in I can't stand it any more and switch it off. No one's saying these guys have to play like it's a playoff game or an important regular season game but it's unwatchable when guys don't even get in defensive stances.

lefty
02-19-2024, 01:27 PM
or maybe viewers should simply not expect a serious game, but rather a borderline comedy show, which is what it's been for as long as I can remember. the only times I've seen seriousness (in any era, not just modern era as some people make it out to be) is if the game is close in the 4th. otherwise it's basically been the same, just great players goofing around and showing off some highlights that normally can't happen in competitive, meaningful games.
Yep tin those 8-s-90s al star games they would fuck around during the 1st 3 quarters and if it was close after 3 then they would compete
1992 was a Magic Johnsion cock sucking fet :lol

The only legit ASG was the 2001 one, with the East coming back to win the game

RC_Drunkford
02-19-2024, 03:19 PM
the whole All-Star weekend sucks. The only thing worth watching is the 3-point contest.

Tyronn Lue
02-19-2024, 03:56 PM
:lol Cock at the AS game with 10 games under his belt
:lol Luka's failed dunk and full court heave with 45 seconds on the clock.
:lol Kawhi's 2nd consecutive airball
:lol G Leaguer and WNBA player taking a wet shit on the rest of the All Star weekend.

But yeah, why saturate the fan with dunks and 3pt shooting when that's what you're trying to sell them in the rest of the games?

Tyronn Lue
02-19-2024, 03:58 PM
oh and the TNT folks not mentioning the game in the 2nd half, but instead shitting on San Francisco. :lol

FrostKing
02-19-2024, 08:05 PM
Didn't even know it was on.

MultiTroll
02-19-2024, 09:38 PM
https://images.complex.com/complex/images/c_fill,dpr_auto,f_auto,q_90,w_1400/fl_lossy,pg_1/s3mfuewlhy3castailff/adam-silver-nike
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.f5a129276def2cea890bd3962540610c?rik=OnvjZrfu2x3 tmA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fimages2.fanpop.com%2fimages%2fpho tos%2f5800000%2fSpock-star-trek-the-original-series-5820588-700-530.jpg&ehk=WVKokknEunloOiVJCTnWPCIYbXgtR0h6uLVHIyNUd20%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
Wow Spok broke character.

Does Silver think it's logical to continue the current All Star format as long as it is making shekels?

Texas_Ranger
02-20-2024, 05:05 AM
should have gone away a long time ago. compete waste of time for the fans and the players.

FrostKing
02-20-2024, 06:26 AM
"Lacking incentive"

How does it feel for NBA fans to see that? The players are supposed to be showcasing the city they play for.

This reminds me of how many of these guys treat representing Team USA at the Olympics. Rewatch Ohtani vs Trout in the World Baseball Classic. Randy Arozarena representing Mexico. Motivating to see.

Durant, what a bust. Guy is on pace to be less influential than Malone.

Tyronn Lue
02-20-2024, 08:57 AM
The "problem" with the ASG is few if any of the players are likeable. In the past you had the charismatic personalities on the floor who would entertain the crowd some how. Now it's a bunch of pretend thugs who can't get the chip off their shoulders long enough to realize they are entertainers. No one even knows who some of these guys are. I wouldn't tune in to see two no names having a half court 3pt shooting contest. At least when Magic and Michael goofed off it was worth watching. Does anyone really care to see Giannis and 40 year old Lebron? These guys catch feelings too easy, take themselves too seriously. Maybe the money did that.

lefty
02-20-2024, 10:29 AM
should have gone away a long time ago. compete waste of time for the fans and the players.
Should have never been created in the 1st place

Pro athletes would prefer not to participate, but they don't want to be fined

02-22-2024, 12:54 PM
t:loldays nba

lefty
02-22-2024, 02:43 PM
t:loldays nba
:lol that you are still watching

spurraider21
02-22-2024, 09:15 PM
i dont think ive watched an all-star game for at least 15 years tbh :lol

i used to check in for the 3pt and/or dunk contest, but not for a while. havent watched a 3pt contest live since belinelli was in it b2b years. last dunk contest i tuned into was probably the first lavine one

i still tend to go back and watch the condensed versions of those contests on youtube after the fact, but havent had any interest in the game itself for a long, long time

Bill_Brasky
02-23-2024, 07:32 AM
The NBA wants to make money on the all star game but the players don't want to put in the effort to make it worth something that anyone would want to spend money on. Fans should boycott all star week tbh. Don't let them earn that money for putting out such a shit product. It's lazy.

ambchang
02-23-2024, 08:03 AM
The league wants to make money out of nothing, counting on the pride of the stars. The stars have no pride, all they want is to stay healthy for the next pay cheque.

Tyronn Lue
02-23-2024, 11:50 PM
All star game in a nutshell - Dame Lillard hit what, 11 3pt shots? 2 from half court? In the game tonight he's 3-13 from the field and 0-3 from 3, Giannis is carrying him.