PDA

View Full Version : Would prime Timmy Dunkar have this team and coach at .500 this season?

MultiTroll
02-23-2024, 12:48 AM
Replace Wemby with Tim. Not on the same team. Take Wama of the team, put Tim on.
My mistake for not posting initially.

Player of his era and one of the GOAT team mates of all time.

But i mean FFS could even Duncan inspire this current roster and overcome this coach to .500?

Very high draft pick chance incoming for 2024.:tu

baseline bum
02-23-2024, 12:53 AM
Easily. He led a team starting the corpse of Terry Porter, Derek Anderson, and the corpse of Danny Ferry to 58 wins in a tough west. Though not as tough as this year's west.

MultiTroll
02-23-2024, 01:17 AM
Easily. He led a team starting the corpse of Terry Porter, Derek Anderson, and the corpse of Danny Ferry to 58 wins in a tough west. Though not as tough as this year's west.
David Robinson, Sean Elliot.

Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose.
C'mon that team had more nads then this bunch.

baseline bum
02-23-2024, 01:27 AM
David Robinson, Sean Elliot.

Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose.
C'mon that team had more nads then this bunch.

Robinson was only good starter Tim had next to him and Sean was washed up by that season. Malik didn't really break out until 02-03 and AD just blew up as a second scorer when DA got hurt because someone had to do it by default. Speaking of DA, he was Branham level defensively.

Arcadian
02-23-2024, 02:30 AM
I don't think any player in history could do that.

*I assume you mean in substitution for Wemby. If we had both Duncan and Wemby, then yes.

Fireball
02-23-2024, 02:39 AM
2002-03 Timmy would do this ... yes he is that good

exstatic
02-23-2024, 07:14 AM
As efficient as TD was, he only scored 2 points at a time. It’s a different game now.

eric365
02-23-2024, 09:14 AM
Would rookie Tim Duncan on a 30 minutes per game restriction have this team to a 30 or 40 wins season?

John B
02-23-2024, 10:01 AM
Timmy was NBA ready as a rookie so you immediately surround him with talents. It’s all-in at day 1. It’s not the same with Wemby with strengthening, and much younger. I also think the Spurs are tanking to get another 1 or 2 lottery picks to help solidify the future. It’s not fair to Victor to assess his talent based on the Spurs record.

MultiTroll
02-23-2024, 10:06 AM
I don't think any player in history could do that.

*I assume you mean in substitution for Wemby. If we had both Duncan and Wemby, then yes.
Correct.
Assume Timmy Dunks replacing Wemby.

Above baseline bum said "Robinson was the only good starter Tim had next to him."
Perhaps but it's a HUGE difference especially on D.

hater
02-23-2024, 10:32 AM
With this Poop? No

With prime Poop. Yes

SupremeGuy
02-23-2024, 12:24 PM
Do you mean replacing Wemby with Prime Duncan? Or Adding Prime Duncan to the team with Wemby?

Replacing Wemby with Prime Duncan? Prime Duncan would fucking rape these bigs. Averaging 34/14/6/3/2. Yet, the rest of the cast hasn't shown any consistency. .500 record? Prime Timmy would have dragged this team along for a winning record whether they wanted it or not.

Adding Prime Timmy with Wemby? The rest of the team could be WNBA and they'd be over .500. Ok well at least WNBA players that could hit an open 3.

MultiTroll
02-23-2024, 12:42 PM
Do you mean replacing Wemby with Prime Duncan? Or Adding Prime Duncan to the team with Wemby?.
Replace Wemby with Tim.

I should have put that in the OP.
Might explain why Tim got 8 votes the 1st few hours. :rollin

RC_Drunkford
02-23-2024, 01:36 PM
Tim would drag there scrubs to the playoffs

z0sa
02-23-2024, 01:52 PM
Yeah, we'd be a play-in team, minimum. Victor is great defensively, but he doesn't have the polished offensive game Timmy does. Makes sense, Timmy was two years older and had four years of college ball behind him by this point in his career. He also had an all-time great big man next to him to challenge him every day in practice while showing him the ropes.

It'd be a more fair hypothetical for Wemby in 2 years (but still using this year's roster). Wemby will never have the benefit of a DRob, either, obviously.

gambit1990
02-23-2024, 03:46 PM
the league is more well-rounded than before. the most interesting part of the question has to do with the fact that lineups are so much smaller than they used to be.

prime TD would be outscoring embiid. he would literally be lighting up everyone …

gambit1990
02-23-2024, 03:49 PM
one problem with the question has to do with pop.

pop was hungry back then and knew to put the ball in timmy’s hands as much as possible. idk if that would be the case with today’s pop. probably but not as much.

Mugen
02-23-2024, 03:53 PM
Coach is a major handicap. I'd say play in ceiling tbh.

spurraider21
02-23-2024, 03:56 PM
Wemby's EFG% and TS% this year is higher than Duncan's career EFG% and TS%

ditto with Rebound%, Block%, Assist %

its a different game

MultiTroll
02-23-2024, 04:07 PM
It'd be a more fair hypothetical for Wemby in 2 years (but still using this year's roster). Wemby will never have the benefit of a DRob, either, obviously.
This isn't a Wemby rookie vs Tim Duncan rookie comparison. Its Prime Duncan on this team without Wemby. And with the current coach in his current state.
It's a reflection of how good/ bad are Grandpa and this roster outside of Wemby?

tim_duncan_fan
02-23-2024, 04:29 PM
I think we would be near 500. And not just embarrassingly terrible.

Wemby will be awesome, but if his post game was better, we would have closed the deal last night, to be honest. Wemby can be too into jumpers, mainly because he needs to get stronger.

Thomas82
02-23-2024, 04:29 PM

That's right, he got them all the way to the Western Conference Finals......while he was bouncing back from knee surgery.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-23-2024, 04:36 PM
Could the greatest winner in NBA history win games?

Barfunk
02-23-2024, 10:19 PM
2002-03 Timmy would do this ... yes he is that good

With this Poop? No

With prime Poop. Yes

These right here. In my opinion, with prime Pop, Zenith-Tim has this team in the playoffs, maybe even makes a little noise. Tim affected the team in ways that you can't see on stat sheets. PRIME Pop being the key word here, so we don't get delusional.

ambchang
02-23-2024, 10:54 PM
I don’t think people realize how much the game has changed. The current rules will not allow a team to run a 4 down game with a defense that can slag off of one or two players. In the past a team with a genuine superstar will win 45 games pretty much regardless of the rest of the team. The playoffs will exploit those weaknesses but the regular season a team with a superstar wins more than they lose.

Today, a team with any notable weakness will just be exploited to death. A team with one single offensive weapon will be worn down by the second quarter.