PDA

View Full Version : Robinson (Glenn not the legendary one!)?

Rummpd
12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I would appreciate if any of you has heard any new info beyond what I wrote in this story or agree/disagree. Should he be back in the league somewhere or am I missing something here?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15218.shtml

With Fellow Former All-Star Spreewell Also on the Outside, What About Glenn Robinson?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Dec 4, 2005, 21:30

While a lot of attention is being played to the fact that Latrell Spreewell has not signed yet with an NBA team, the fact that Glenn Robinson is on the sidelines to me is also somewhat of a mystery.

Robinson, granted did not play much last year, but near the end of the season and in some short stints with the championship Spurs he was commended for even playing some defense by among others Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express News and Greg Bishop of the Seattle Times. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051205.1C.COL.BKNharvey.265f1a20a.html and http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002268282_spursnotes09.html

Robinson is only 32, and from some spots on the floor (i.e., "the badly lost in today's NBA game mid-range jumper area") consistently demonstrated one of the sweetest shots among big men to ever play the game. Robinson currently would retire with a 20.7 PPG scoring average and has hit an impressive 45.9% of his shots from the field. I have also seen him make some pretty fair post moves in stints in Milwaukee, in limited play for the Sixers and with the Spurs last year.

Unlike Spreewell (career 18.3 PPG), he would also brings some size to many teams, for although he is only listed at 6’7’ he also has played at a muscular 240 lbs or so.

Both have been considered distractions to their teams, but one cannot deny the considerable talent of either man.

As for Robinson’s, compare his career shooting percentage with that of Spreewell, who has hit on a fairly mundane percentage ( 42.5%) of his shots during his career so far.

Furthermore, you have not heard Glenn Robinson or an agent calling for more than the minimum deal. According to SI.com’s Stephen Cannella, Bob Gist, Spreewell’s agent has called that a ridiculous idea: "Anyone who thinks he should play for that, that's absurd." (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/stephen_cannella/11/18/sprew/index.html)

Robinson for his part seemed dedicated to coming back to the Spurs but became expendable to the champions and was not re-signed when they picked up both former all star Michael Finley and Argentian Fabrico Oberto along with reserve point guard Nick Van Exel.

Perhaps, there are lingering concerns for his health and locker room prescence after a year when he battled ankle problems and did not play for the Sixers before coming to the Spurs.

Certainly, he would be not be welcomed back with the Sixers who he simply did not live up to expectations and seemed potentially able to play at times when he did not.

However, I firmly believe that for a minimum salary (if he would take it) that Robinson might help several teams in the league, from those “feeding at the bottom” to teams who is seems right now will be battling to make the playoffs.

It would take a strong coach and a strong system, ala like Gregg Popovich's again, but it is plausible he could help some teams, and he ought to be considered if he accepts the right salary and a limited and defined role.

Some current "bottom feeding" teams that come to mind, Houston, Utah, and the Los Angeles Lakers - convince me that none of these teams would not benefit from a scoring "Big Dog" who may have learned some new tricks last year.

Dr. Rumm, the "SportsDoc to the Fans" loves a debate and writes on teams, players and medical issues and is a former editor.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mitchell & Ness Throw Back: Elgin Baylor
Dec 3, 2005
Mitchell & Ness Throw Back: Joe Dumars
Nov 29, 2005
Mitchell & Ness Throw Back: Rudy Tomjanovich
Nov 21, 2005
Mitchell & Ness Throw Back: Patrick Ewing
Nov 18, 2005

ABC tickets
has the best prices on:
All NBA Basketball tickets and
NBA playoff tickets including
specials on Sixers tickets
LA Lakers tickets, NBA All Star game tickets
and Orlando Magic tickets