PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy. If you could have any 1 (one) player join Wama, who would it be?

MultiTroll
03-29-2024, 11:20 PM
Just assume their salary is whatever it is currently for next year.
Whether it's Jokic or Stephie Curry at 55 mil or Lebron James at 700K with the Bronny deal taken with the Spurs last 2nd round pick.

As with all my threads, you are welcome to disagree with me and i will tactfully and politely accept our differences.

Who you got?
And why?

Write in anyone not on the list, by all means.

spursparker9
03-29-2024, 11:24 PM
Luka.

Wemby can easily average 35+ with Luka's passing

spurraider21
03-29-2024, 11:26 PM
Just for next year?

MultiTroll
03-29-2024, 11:37 PM
Just for next year?
No.
Assume we can sign them for 4 years of the Wemby Stage 1 Era.

onechance87
03-29-2024, 11:41 PM
gotta be luka....Would maybe be the greatest duo ever.

baseline bum
03-29-2024, 11:48 PM
Bol Bol so we can have two Wembys

John B
03-30-2024, 12:49 AM
Luka may seem to be the popular choice, but I am leaning more towards Halliburton. Diva Doncic is such a whiner, and I don’t think that I could root for that smug face. Halliburton, on the other hand, seems to be the better lockerroom guy. Doncic had Porzingis, but didn’t really do much with Porzingis’ game.

Robz4000
03-30-2024, 01:11 AM
Good question tbh. Immediate answer would be Luka, but Haliburton would fit like a glove.

SPURt
03-30-2024, 02:38 AM
I’ll take Ant Edwards all day everyday.

Russo21
03-30-2024, 02:46 AM
Luka may seem to be the popular choice, but I am leaning more towards Halliburton. Diva Doncic is such a whiner, and I don’t think that I could root for that smug face. Halliburton, on the other hand, seems to be the better lockerroom guy. Doncic had Porzingis, but didn’t really do much with Porzingis’ game.

And we could have got Halliburton instead of Vassell ffs. Yes i know if we got Halliburton we might not have been bad enough to get Wemby but you know. Bad pick. We have a lottery pick this year so we can't fuck it up. With Wemby's trajectory if he stays healthy this should be our highest pick for years to come.

Seventyniner
03-30-2024, 02:56 AM
Bill Land.

scott
03-30-2024, 03:08 AM
SGA mates

tbdog
03-30-2024, 04:36 AM
Luka obviously but SGA is like best defending guard while being really good on offense.

itzsoweezee
03-30-2024, 08:35 AM
Halliburton. He’s young, a tremendous passer, an outstanding shooter, and doesn’t come with all that whining nonsense that Luka brings. I can’t imagine rooting for a guy who takes a defensive play off just so he can go whine to the refs.

Joseph Kony
03-30-2024, 09:55 AM
Luka or Jokic. A Wemby/Jokic front court would be disgusting

vander
03-30-2024, 09:58 AM
damn, not much elite young talent to choose from

barakz21
03-30-2024, 10:03 AM
SGA or Hali, 2 birds with 1 stone with either of them. We get a competent PG and a Wemby’s cos-star. Joker would be nice too, filthy even but just not how the fit will be since it might hinder Wemby somewhat.

couchman
03-30-2024, 10:20 AM
SGA all the way

BatManu20
03-30-2024, 10:31 AM
Luka or SGA seem like the obvious answers here. But if we’re being more realistic, then I’d go with Markkanen.

Tyronn Lue
03-30-2024, 10:38 AM
Victor with Joker, jesus.

Spurs Homer
03-30-2024, 11:33 AM
Steve Kerr

Frenchfred
03-30-2024, 12:18 PM
A younger Curry would be ideal

Splits
03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Sochan

Rosewood
03-30-2024, 01:35 PM
Joker, easy.

TD 21
03-30-2024, 05:41 PM
For entertainment purposes, Jokic or Haliburton, for practical purposes, Gilgeous-Alexander.

Far better defender than Doncic, close enough offensively and far lesser ego.

I'm not interested in watching the Doncic show when there's a better one brewing here in Wembanyama.

CGD
03-30-2024, 09:28 PM
SGA, with Ant a close second. SGA is such a well rounded player right now, and would fit perfectly.

Tyronn Lue
03-30-2024, 10:12 PM
Joker, easy.
Yes, this is true. No matter who else is on the team, you should take Joker. The high touch passes to Victor anywhere near the paint would be juggernaut.

SpursBills
03-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Anthony Edwards. Same timeline as Wemby, younger than SGA/Luka, better defender than Luka/Hali, better 3 ball than SGA, emerging passing chops and creation. Also in the playoffs, give me the guy with top 1% athleticism and elite strength able to overpower opponents offensively and hold up on pretty much any switch defensively. He tracks favorably against SGA when you compare them by age.

rankingtear
03-31-2024, 06:39 AM
Ant i feel he is the best non system dependent perimeter player. Since Zinger hated playing with Luka. SGA relies on a lot of space. Hali is born out of that Carlisle system. Ant has familiarity with bigs crowding up his driving lanes.

December Romo
03-31-2024, 06:57 AM
Yes, this is true. No matter who else is on the team, you should take Joker. The high touch passes to Victor anywhere near the paint would be juggernaut.

They might win 70 games with that combination. Tell me who is going to stop it.

Tyronn Lue
03-31-2024, 11:35 AM
You'd have to body Victor out of that area, because you're not bodying Joker out and fouling either isn't a good strategy.

ginobilized
03-31-2024, 12:40 PM
I'd go with Ant because of their respective ages and a win-now, win-later timeline. In a decade they'd be 30 and 32, probably a minimum 2 trophies.

Those two would be easy to build around. Pop has never had an athlete like Ant, might be an odd fit there.

Vassell might be redundant. Sochan might be a useful piece with these 2. Finding PG, PF and backup center still necessary, but, much easier. I miss having a true "enforcer" like Kevin Willis. We'd need a real bruiser and not Collins.

scott
03-31-2024, 01:21 PM
Interesting that Luka is the runaway choice, not because Luka isn't great, but because we've heard a lot of people shit on the idea of Trae Young because he is heliocentric player whose USG% will crowd out Wemby.

But what do people think Luka is? Trae's career USG% is 32.4, Luka's is 35.7.

So is the problem that Trae is a heliocentric high usage player... or that there is a threshold at a heliocentric high usage player is good enough - a threshold that Luka has surpassed but Trae hasn't?

pad300
03-31-2024, 04:31 PM

Popovich?

John B
03-31-2024, 09:07 PM
A healthy Kawhi without Uncle Dennis. I doubt anybody scores with Kawhi plugging the point-of-attack while Wemby protecting the rim.

SpursBills
03-31-2024, 09:24 PM
Interesting that Luka is the runaway choice, not because Luka isn't great, but because we've heard a lot of people shit on the idea of Trae Young because he is heliocentric player whose USG% will crowd out Wemby.

So is the problem that Trae is a heliocentric high usage player... or that there is a threshold at a heliocentric high usage player is good enough - a threshold that Luka has surpassed but Trae hasn't?

This is it exactly I think. Luka would be #2 for me easily after Ant. I'm completely ok with a more heliocentric player, as long as that heliocentric player can break defensive schemes on his own, which I think Luka has shown that he has been able to do in the playoffs while Trae is more hit and miss. Additionally, Luka's TO% has been far lower than Trae's despite being just as ball dominant and I'd have to check the numbers but I don't think his shooting percentages drop nearly as significantly in the playoffs compared to Trae.

Spurminator
03-31-2024, 09:39 PM
Luka would average a triple double and lead the league in assists running away if he was on a team with Wemby.

scott
03-31-2024, 09:39 PM
This is it exactly I think. Luka would be #2 for me easily after Ant. I'm completely ok with a more heliocentric player, as long as that heliocentric player can break defensive schemes on his own, which I think Luka has shown that he has been able to do in the playoffs while Trae is more hit and miss. Additionally, Luka's TO% has been far lower than Trae's despite being just as ball dominant and I'd have to check the numbers but I don't think his shooting percentages drop nearly as significantly in the playoffs compared to Trae.

Playing Devil's advocate, their playoff history is pretty similar. Trae is 12-15 in the playoffs, Luka is 12-16. Both have two first round exits and one conference finals appearance. However, Luka does seem to elevate his game in the playoffs whereas Trae does not (and Trae is really hampered by one really poor playoff series in 2021-22).

Tyronn Lue
03-31-2024, 11:00 PM

I think the perception is that Trae's numbers are based on having no one else on the team worth anything (other than Murray) and his passing chops vs Luka. For some reason the Euro guys can pass like crazy and are very willing passers whereas US players are often iso ballers with handles and signature moves. Luka's numbers are mostly the same though. Often he dwarfs the others in shots taken, so it has to boil down to just finding someone who can get the ball to Victor, not so much how this person can help when Victor isn't even on the floor.

mudyez
04-01-2024, 02:19 AM
Franz Wagner...Just because they fit well and I'm hungry for a likable german player on the Spurs (not Schröder).

Brazil
04-01-2024, 08:39 AM
You take the actual MVP and proven winner obviously but to stay on the young generation SGA seems indeed perfect

Raven
04-01-2024, 09:48 AM
donut wemby would be the best duo of all time and it ain't close

Raven
04-01-2024, 10:00 AM

simply put, luka is the most skilled player that has ever been. No other player understands sets, positioning and can pass like he does at that height, with that shooting. Wemby would absolutely feast in every game. Young has nothing in common with luka who is a fantastic team player and winner.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-04-2024, 10:43 PM
I mean, it’s pretty much Kevin Tran and then everyone else.

CorrectCrusader
04-05-2024, 01:33 PM
Luka no question lmao

aissagholi7981
04-05-2024, 04:23 PM
Joker.

You can find a high assist PG but a Wemby/Joker duo would be ridiculous

Strategic
04-05-2024, 05:10 PM
If the Spurs had SGA they would be close to the top of the league this year, just like the thunder are. SGA or maybe Cade C. should do just fine.

spurraider21
04-05-2024, 06:32 PM
ima just be a contrarian and say chet, thinking the long game

BackHome
04-05-2024, 08:46 PM
Copper Flagg

ambchang
04-05-2024, 10:31 PM
The guy who scored 8 points in a mcds game? Flagg could be good but his stock will drop considerably this year with better comp.

MultiTroll
04-06-2024, 11:37 AM
Playing Devil's advocate, their playoff history is pretty similar. Trae is 12-15 in the playoffs, Luka is 12-16. Both have two first round exits and one conference finals appearance. However, Luka does seem to elevate his game in the playoffs whereas Trae does not (and Trae is really hampered by one really poor playoff series in 2021-22).
Defense
Rebounding

MultiTroll
05-26-2024, 09:56 PM
Wowsers.

Doncic in Game 3 vs Minnesota was just fabulous.

That dudes lobbing alone to Wemby would be heavenly.
Not to mention all the rest of his game he brings.

scott
05-26-2024, 10:34 PM
No Kristaps P on the list kind of makes this poll invalid

Pauleta14
05-27-2024, 01:21 PM
So many STers wanting Luka is so disapointing ...

I'd hate having this chubby diva on our team

RC_Drunkford
05-27-2024, 01:27 PM
a new head coach

MannyIsGod
05-27-2024, 02:17 PM
So many STers wanting Luka is so disapointing ...

I'd hate having this chubby diva on our team

lmao what? This dude is about to take his team to the finals. Yeah, who would want that on their team?

Knoxxx
05-27-2024, 02:35 PM
Donkey is making his whole team better and those lobs! I don't like how he runs his big fat mouth or flops for fouls, but normally a player that annoying is great when they are on your team at least.

Pauleta14
05-27-2024, 03:29 PM
lmao what? This dude is about to take his team to the finals. Yeah, who would want that on their team?

I just can't stand his style, too ball dominant, too much whining, too James Harden trying to draw fouls att, game too static when he has the ball....

Just the opposite of Spurs basketball

As for who's winnig, it's a weird era we're in with no top team really, it has as much to do with Wolves messing up. Same in the east with Indi making it easy for Boston who could very well win it all but still not be a great team in my eyes.

A lot of recency bias after win/loss

MannyIsGod
05-27-2024, 07:07 PM
I just can't stand his style, too ball dominant, too much whining, too James Harden trying to draw fouls att, game too static when he has the ball....

Just the opposite of Spurs basketball

As for who's winnig, it's a weird era we're in with no top team really, it has as much to do with Wolves messing up. Same in the east with Indi making it easy for Boston who could very well win it all but still not be a great team in my eyes.

A lot of recency bias after win/loss

I mean a lot of recency bias when a team is peaking late in the season due to great trade deadline moves. You're right that we have a lot of parity right now, but dude averaged nearly a triple double this year including nearly 10 assists. If you don't want that on your team then IDK. Duncan was ball dominant for much of his career too, it was just in the low post.

He definitely is a crybaby tho.

Pauleta14
05-27-2024, 07:53 PM
I mean a lot of recency bias when a team is peaking late in the season due to great trade deadline moves. You're right that we have a lot of parity right now, but dude averaged nearly a triple double this year including nearly 10 assists. If you don't want that on your team then IDK. Duncan was ball dominant for much of his career too, it was just in the low post.

He definitely is a crybaby tho.

I'm not even a hater :lol

He's a great player, very efficient and smart (hence my Harden's reference in both their cynical way of using the way NBA is called).

I just don't enjoy seing all the time iso basketball and indeed his personality and antics don't help appreciate him (I love Kyrie tho)

As for today's bb level, I stopped watching NBA for the last about 3 seasons and I'm stunned at the awfull global level, coaching or players's BBIQ

It makes me even less patient with our current process, a couple good players would make us a contender NEXT SEASON with the cheat code we have and Pop (yes the same everybody on ST hates) who would crush most of the present coaches imo.

For all the talent of their backcourt Dallas has so many weaknesses everywhere else who aren't even challenged by Wolves's coaches. KAT on the perimeter or Gobert not on the bench (horrible matchup for him, stupid to even try, Pop would have benched him)

Whatever team wins it all this year won't be a great team in my eyes. (Unless Tatum becomes a man maybe)