PDA

View Full Version : Mamu and Tre needs to stay!

kxs783kms
04-13-2024, 12:01 AM
I don't think these games by Mamu are a fluke. You can tell this is his everyday game. A hustle guy who plays at top speed. An energy guy who can get buckets and provide a nice spark to the offense. He's a guy who doesn't need the ball but can naturally get 10-15 pts at any stretch of a game. I think we'll be a fool to let him get away. Plus he has a really nice 3 ball.

As far as Tre, I can't speak enough of his improvement over the season. Even with all of the chatter saying he needs to be replaced with a "real" PG, he didn't let it phase him at all. Clearly he has a great connection playing along side Wemby. His 3 ball has shown great improvement and has gotten more consistent. Not to mention how well he finishes in the paint, despite his size. He's really crafty with his finishes. He's never going to be a lockdown defender but how many PG out there are? These are two players I think every championship team needs. Guys who do the small things that adds up.

The Truth #6
04-13-2024, 12:12 AM
Since starting and then missing that last second shot Tre has quietly stepped up. I read 44% 3's since February. Pretty crazy if true. Someone is going to have to be really good to take Tre's minutes. Anyway. Back to Mamu. With Wemby settling in to how he likes to play the passing from Mamu is super helpful.

With Sochan guarding SFs, could Mamu play in the front court with he and Wemby? Where was that experimentation, and with a 20 win team. Anyway. I think Pop already has made up his mind. Curious if Wemby has opinions on who stays.

onechance87
04-13-2024, 12:14 AM
tre can go...Granham proves wemby plays more free and better when hes has a pg who
can shoot.

onechance87
04-13-2024, 12:18 AM
Since starting and then missing that last second shot Tre has quietly stepped up. I read 44% 3's since February. Pretty crazy if true. Someone is going to have to be really good to take Tre's minutes. Anyway. Back to Mamu. With Wemby settling in to how he likes to play the passing from Mamu is super helpful.

With Sochan guarding SFs, could Mamu play in the front court with he and Wemby? Where was that experimentation, and with a 20 win team. Anyway. I think Pop already has made up his mind. Curious if Wemby has opinions on who stays.

a sf who cant shoot dont belong in starting lineup with wemby.Think we have to keep champ there unless
we draft risacher

TimmyBuckets
04-13-2024, 12:23 AM
Hell ya! Mamu's amazing!

taps
04-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Mamukelashvili is a good matchup against Denver. Team seems to be being built to match up against them. Titanic clashes in the future.

Raven
04-13-2024, 02:28 AM
i think that tre - wemby have the worst connection that they could possibly have.

Robz4000
04-13-2024, 02:57 AM
Agreed tbh. Jones or Graham should've been the day-one starter and Mamu should've seen 20-25 mins a night.

John B
04-13-2024, 06:24 AM
a sf who cant shoot dont belong in starting lineup with wemby.Think we have to keep champ there unless
we draft risacher

Bowen texted. And Sochan could shoot those 3’s especially on a c&s much like Bowen did during those championships years.

weebo
04-13-2024, 06:44 AM
Both Mamu and Tre are back ups on their best days.

onechance87
04-13-2024, 06:46 AM
Bowen texted. And Sochan could shoot those 3’s especially on a c&s much like Bowen did during those championships years.

bowen had great players along side with him.Wemby aint got shit.Wemby gonna need shooters playing with him.
This whole season proved it,Sochan is not a consistent shooter and cant finish at the rim compared to mamu it seems.

Davidicus
04-13-2024, 07:00 AM
Really hope we can keep Mamu, he “gets it” with Vic and has a talent set that fits him.

Tre needs to develop more of a pull-up 3pt threat. Yes he’s gotten better at catch and shoot 3s, but his lack of pull-up 3s when he has the ball is painfully apparent. Shrinks the court and relies solely on penetration to make anything happen.

John B
04-13-2024, 07:08 AM
bowen had great players along side with him.Wemby aint got shit.Wemby gonna need shooters playing with him.
This whole season proved it,Sochan is not a consistent shooter and cant finish at the rim compared to mamu it seems.

Don’t backpedal now. You didn’t say “unless he had great players along side with him.” I’m sure the PATFO will be surrounding Wemby with better players starting this off-season. And I’m sure the idea of Sochan taking the Bowen role crossed their mind. Sochan can knock down those 3’s especially on a c&s. He’s one of the better point-of-attack defender on the team. Unless they find somebody better, I think Sochan can play the part of the Bowen-role is all I’m saying.

get_mills_out
04-13-2024, 07:12 AM
Let the record show I was vocally Team Mamu when he was playing 0mpg

tbdog
04-13-2024, 07:21 AM
tre can go...Granham proves wemby plays more free and better when hes has a pg who
can shoot.

It's weird that Granham was benched why Mcdermott was regularly in the rotation.

onechance87
04-13-2024, 07:27 AM
Don’t backpedal now. You didn’t say “unless he had great players along side with him.” I’m sure the PATFO will be surrounding Wemby with better players starting this off-season. And I’m sure the idea of Sochan taking the Bowen role crossed their mind. Sochan can knock down those 3’s especially on a c&s. He’s one of the better point-of-attack defender on the team. Unless they find somebody better, I think Sochan can play the part of the Bowen-role is all I’m saying.

how im i backpedaling lol.....If wemby had parker and giniobili alongside with him,Sure u can have sochan in.But he dont.
Wemby has a bunch of role players who barely have talent or iq.Even if we add better players,Not sure sochan will be here long.
Just plays slow compared to mamu.Guess will see in sochan 3rd year and hope he blossoms,But wont get my hopes up.

JPB
04-13-2024, 07:34 AM
That 0/8 game was sure no fluke... Joke apart, nothing vs. Mamu but. I'm afraid hell be a bench filler his whole career, similar in some ways to Boban we all liked here.

Tre is a keeper I believe in one way or another.. Not a long term starter but solid back up, good mentailty and locker room guy. You need that kind of guarantees in a team like those spurs.

Pauleta14
04-13-2024, 07:42 AM
Tre is not an NBA PG + he's gotten worse at passing the ball

I get you're all so sentimental so keep him for the ambiance and the bench

But keep him away from Wemby

onechance87
04-13-2024, 07:44 AM
That 0/8 game was sure no fluke... Joke apart, nothing vs. Mamu but. I'm afraid hell be a bench filler his whole career, similar in some ways to Boban we all liked here.

Tre is a keeper I believe in one way or another.. Not a long term starter but solid back up, good mentailty and locker room guy. You need that kind of guarantees in a team like those spurs.

Shouldint be no suprise he will have bad games shooting wise.It happens,It happend to vassell,sochan,branham,collins
this season,all first rounders.Mamu was waived by the bucks last year,Hes gonna have sum off shooting games lol

Pauleta14
04-13-2024, 07:45 AM
i think that tre - wemby have the worst connection that they could possibly have.

Thank you

I'm wondering what ppl are watching or what matters for them

I can't stand Tre and his useless play

Dejounte
04-13-2024, 08:01 AM
Tre - Wemby is not “the worst”. It’s the the most average. The good thing is that he doesn’t make the team worse when he’s on the floor, like Collins. He keeps the team afloat— a net zero. Which is what you want from a bench piece.

JPB
04-13-2024, 08:23 AM
Shouldint be no suprise he will have bad games shooting wise.It happens,It happend to vassell,sochan,branham,collins this season,all first rounders.Mamu was waived by the bucks last year,Hes gonna have sum off shooting games lol

Don't get me wrong Il like him, and was teasing a little as we need obviously to see him over a much bigger span with heavy minutes (and opponents scouting his game) to really judge him, .not to mention his limitations, but he's just that kind of player who may never really get a chance.

The Truth #6
04-13-2024, 08:51 AM
I'm not speaking in a vacuum but how to maximize the pieces we have, the cards we are dealt et cetera. Of course Tre is not a great starter. But he is improving.

onechance87
04-13-2024, 08:56 AM
Don't get me wrong Il like him, and was teasing a little as we need obviously to see him over a much bigger span with heavy minutes (and opponents scouting his game) to really judge him, .not to mention his limitations, but he's just that kind of player who may never really get a chance.

he should of had his chance this season earlier in the season.Collins was playing terrible,Bassey got injured,Barlow was in austin.
Dont understand why he didnt a real chance till now.All i know is wemby and mamu last several games have been connecting to well.
Gotta bring mamu back another year to see if its real.Cause just wasint feeling it with collins or sochan and barlow.

ace3g
04-13-2024, 08:57 AM
https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1779022455274615183

Splits
04-13-2024, 10:57 AM
It's really strange that Mamu has only gotten minutes so late in the campaign. He seems like a natural fit next to Wemby, his time on the court has been outstanding

z0sa
04-13-2024, 11:24 AM
Mamu not playing all season is an absolute crime of a coaching decision. Clear, indisputable evidence Pop laid a fucking egg this season, and no, it was NOT on purpose/tanking. This draft fucking sucks so even if it was on purpose (100% was not, as evidenced by our end of season play), still stupid. Not the same level of stakes at all of course, but reminds me of early Splitter being glued to the bench or even George Hill though he got his chance since we made the playoffs his rookie year. It's just Pop not utilizing the roster correctly.

Don't even get me started on Tre being the backup to fucking Branham. Spurs lost 18 straight with the retarded starts/rotation. Another Pop gem.

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2024, 11:26 AM
I’d like to see if they can trade Johnson for some guard held and then Mamu can play those KJ minutes of the bench. KJ is a better player but for this system and the way the Spurs play Mamu is a better option.

jjspur
04-13-2024, 11:52 AM
Lets be honest , Tre and Mamu are both backup level players who can rise to the occasion when needed. That's a good thing. What we have are backups who rise very seldomly if at all. Wesley has some defensive chops but not a whole lot else. Branham shoots well sometimes, but more often than not he doesn't, plus he's really bad defensively. Lets start by replacing those two. Their skillsets shouldn't be that hard to replace. Trade them both for a second round pick and call it a good day. (neither is more than an add on to a bigger trade)

What we really need to do is replace some of our 2nd and 3rd team bench so that the team overall plays better when the starters rest or are injured. Its the next man up mentality that helped us win the game against Denver and is what could help us win more games next season. In this weak draft I really don't see too many starting level players, but a number of players that could easily replace some of our weaker bench players. Lets see who we can draft to help us out for that purpose and see what starting level player we can draft in the 25 draft.

SPURt
04-13-2024, 11:55 AM
+1

Tyronn Lue
04-13-2024, 12:10 PM
Sounds like some folks are happy to resume the same experiment next season.

Spurminator
04-13-2024, 12:19 PM
I think Mamu is a keeper as a Matt Bonner type bench guy (but better). Tre I could take or leave, I like him but I don't know that he'll ever be good enough to be a starting PG on a championship caliber team, and I think you need a different skill set for your backup PG. (Better shot creation, more speed, etc)

JPB
04-13-2024, 12:42 PM
No matter what, in the grand scheme of things, we have to understand 4/5 of the current roster won't be there when/if spurs contend and spurs will dramatically change the current roster the next 2 years.

kxs783kms
04-13-2024, 01:43 PM
Both Mamu and Tre are back ups on their best days.

I never said they were starters. They are quality bench players that every championship team needs. They're good depth players and we shouldn't let them go.

kxs783kms
04-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Tre is not an NBA PG + he's gotten worse at passing the ball

I get you're all so sentimental so keep him for the ambiance and the bench

But keep him away from Wemby

I'm sure you're the type that no matter who we get, you'll find a negative about them. I think you're more sentimental than anything. It's basketball. You can't have a team full of all-stars. Tre is a good bench player and that's more than deserving of him having a roster spot.

rascal
04-13-2024, 02:20 PM
Sounds like some folks are happy to resume the same experiment next season.

What a couple of one and two point wins can do.

rascal
04-13-2024, 02:22 PM
I never said they were starters. They are quality bench players that every championship team needs. They're good depth players and we shouldn't let them go.

Someone has to go in the next couple of years. Spurs are bringing in a few first round picks.

Pauleta14
04-13-2024, 02:27 PM
I'm sure you're the type that no matter who we get, you'll find a negative about them. I think you're more sentimental than anything. It's basketball. You can't have a team full of all-stars. Tre is a good bench player and that's more than deserving of him having a roster spot.

So your main argument is guessing who I am and how I feel? You're one of the smart ones, aren't you? :lol

I don't care about allstars, I'm not even in the Trae lobby, I'm into players that don't have liabilities that can't be worked on

But relax, Tre is still going to be here next season

jeebus
04-13-2024, 03:13 PM
Someone has to go in the next couple of years. Spurs are bringing in a few first round picks.

Hopefully Blake and Branham are gone, they're too much like Lonnie. Graham is probably gone, depending if they bring in a real PG. Cedi might not get resigned and Keldon+others could be a Hawk.

LeBowen
04-13-2024, 03:27 PM
Mamu should definitely stay, he can be a solid utility forward.

Tre's situation is a bit more complicated, if you ask me.
He's a solid backup. But that's about it...if we're to actually compete and get into the playoff picture.
Any star point guard torches him and he's not a good shooter. Almost all of his threes are corner 3s, not good enough for a starting point guard in 2024.

If Tre's role as a backup is set, we can't really draft a point guard.
None of the prospects are even close to being ready to start in the NBA, they'll have to be slowly introducted off the bench.
But then Tre has to start and we're back to square one.

Imo, this team simply must get a floor general if we're to compete.
I'm not against Trae if the price is fair, getting a good veteran would be ideal. I'm personally hoping for Celtics to fail and then Derrick becomes available.
Derrick with Tre or rookie as a backup would be good enough.

Seventyniner
04-13-2024, 06:02 PM
Tre Jones is under contract next season. He isn't going anywhere unless the Spurs trade him.

Mamu will be a RFA. The Spurs could make a pre-emptive offer or wait to match. It will depend on the price.

Jordan Jackson
04-13-2024, 06:55 PM
Thank you

I'm wondering what ppl are watching or what matters for them

I can't stand Tre and his useless play

Tre is a 3rd string pg. People get excited because he is one of the few players that doesn’t shit all over himself for full games.

Too small. Has a target on his back defensively. Suspect shooter teams are happy to help off of and leave open. Still can’t get the ball to Victor at the right time or spots.

But he is going to be one of those culture guys we get stuck with just because.

kxs783kms
04-13-2024, 09:47 PM
So your main argument is guessing who I am and how I feel? You're one of the smart ones, aren't you? :lol

I don't care about allstars, I'm not even in the Trae lobby, I'm into players that don't have liabilities that can't be worked on

But relax, Tre is still going to be here next season

I'm definitely one of the smart ones. I highly agree with you there. :)

TD 21
04-13-2024, 10:48 PM
They were clearly going to let Mamukelashvili walk, but he's given them pause with his recent play. Given the dearth of basketball IQ, strength and depth at the four on this roster and how cheap he'll be to retain, letting him walk makes no sense.

Jones, as I've long said isn't going anywhere barring the unlikely event where they acquire a star or maybe top starter small guard.

If Tre's role as a backup is set, we can't really draft a point guard.
None of the prospects are even close to being ready to start in the NBA, they'll have to be slowly introducted off the bench.
But then Tre has to start and we're back to square one.

They clearly long preferred the starting lead guard to be a big combo guard, who can at least not be a target defensively (who doesn't?), which has probably been exacerbated with an unprecedented player like Wembanyama. The trickle down effect is it would pave the way for Jones to be the 6th man.

CorrectCrusader
04-13-2024, 10:50 PM
Hopefully Blake and Branham are gone, they're too much like Lonnie. Graham is probably gone, depending if they bring in a real PG. Cedi might not get resigned and Keldon+others could be a Hawk.

Lonnie showed infinitely more potential than either Wesley or Branham

Atl Spur
04-14-2024, 01:58 AM
Tre needs to be part of a trade package; mamu can stay.

Pauleta14
04-14-2024, 05:11 AM
I'm definitely one of the smart ones. I highly agree with you there. :)

You're clearly smart enough to understand sarcasm!

Pauleta14
04-14-2024, 05:12 AM
Tre is a 3rd string pg. People get excited because he is one of the few players that doesn’t shit all over himself for full games.

Too small. Has a target on his back defensively. Suspect shooter teams are happy to help off of and leave open. Still can’t get the ball to Victor at the right time or spots.

But he is going to be one of those culture guys we get stuck with just because.

Perfectly put.

duncan2150
04-14-2024, 07:03 AM
I don't understand the talk about tre, he's on contract and he's a really good back up imo. We can disagree on this point but that's not the debate.

About Mamu it's different, he was a clear goner a few weeks ago but he's a real basketball player, despite some physical limitations so he could have his place with the team.

But the Spurs will have to cut/don't ressign some players and make some choices : barlow is gone imo so is graham, then you have mamu, osman, bassey and maybe wesley.

IMO the others are not in danger except if there's some trades : Wemby, Vassell, Sochan, Jones, Johnson, Champagnie, Branham, Collins, Cissoko, that's 9 players and if you count on like 2 rookies you only have four roster spots left.

onechance87
04-14-2024, 08:31 AM
I don't understand the talk about tre, he's on contract and he's a really good back up imo. We can disagree on this point but that's not the debate.

About Mamu it's different, he was a clear goner a few weeks ago but he's a real basketball player, despite some physical limitations so he could have his place with the team.

But the Spurs will have to cut/don't ressign some players and make some choices : barlow is gone imo so is graham, then you have mamu, osman, bassey and maybe wesley.

IMO the others are not in danger except if there's some trades : Wemby, Vassell, Sochan, Jones, Johnson, Champagnie, Branham, Collins, Cissoko, that's 9 players and if you count on like 2 rookies you only have four roster spots left.

tre jones is average passing poor shooting pg.Wemby deserves a better pg then him.Getting a better pg will help wemby so much.At least a pg
who can shoot.I expect wemby to get doubled team in the future,Gonna need a pg who can shoot and move off the ball to help wemby out
when wemby does get doubled team.

duncan2150
04-14-2024, 10:19 AM
tre jones is average passing poor shooting pg.Wemby deserves a better pg then him.Getting a better pg will help wemby so much.At least a pg
who can shoot.I expect wemby to get doubled team in the future,Gonna need a pg who can shoot and move off the ball to help wemby out
when wemby does get doubled team.

agreed about the fact that the spurs needs to improve the pg postion but like i said that's not the debate, tre jones will stay as a back up unless he's traded.

RC_Drunkford
04-14-2024, 11:32 AM
I said way back in the season that they should start Mamu at PF. To me he‘s a better back up than Cedi. Tre Jones would be one of the best back up PGs in the league. We just need a better starter.

Atl Spur
04-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Cedi and Mamu are high IQ players; they both have a place here.

onechance87
04-14-2024, 11:43 AM
I said way back in the season that they should start Mamu at PF. To me he‘s a better back up than Cedi. Tre Jones would be one of the best back up PGs in the league. We just need a better starter.

yea of sum of us were calling for mamu to get more playing time earlier...How did the coaching staff not see the potential.
Yet some of us fans did.Crazy that only mamu only got play time cause sochan and barlow got injured late in the seasn.
Maybe coaching change may be needed,Cause i thought granham was the best pg on this team,Yet never got a chance.

kxs783kms
04-14-2024, 04:32 PM
You're clearly smart enough to understand sarcasm!

That wasn't sarcasm. You were just telling the truth.

Pauleta14
04-14-2024, 05:13 PM
That wasn't sarcasm. You were just telling the truth.

I'll put it in blue just for you next time ;)

rankingtear
04-14-2024, 09:08 PM
Love Tre, i think his ability to adapt to the different role Wemby plays in a game is unmatched in this roster, he goes from corner wing to roll man to pnr ballhandler. He is like a smaller bruce brown.

TekXX
04-14-2024, 09:45 PM
The fact that Pop sat Mamu for 90% of the year knowing damn well he was capable of earning minutes means he's has no use for him and he's gone.

onechance87
04-15-2024, 12:27 AM
The fact that Pop sat Mamu for 90% of the year knowing damn well he was capable of earning minutes means he's has no use for him and he's gone.

yup,Mamu didnt deserve this treatment.And only got sum playing time cause sochan and barlow got hurt last few weeks.
Hope mamu gets a decent pay upgrade and commitment to at least get a fair chance to prove himself whether its with us or
another team.

sfernald
04-15-2024, 01:02 AM
Spurs should try to accomplish the following this offseason.

Cut the bottom four players on the team to make room for fresh blood: Barlow, Graham, Bassey and Wesley.

Bring in at least two new rookie prospects.

Shift two starters to bench roles: Tre & Champagnie. Bring in two superior vet starters through free agency or trade to replace them.

Try to trade two backups and replace with upgrades: Collins and Branham. Free agents Hartenstein and Malik Monk would be excellent upgrades.

timtonymanu
04-15-2024, 01:13 AM
I have no problems with Mamu and Tre, but both are also easily replaceable. No one should “stay” other than Wemby unless we lose out on better options.

onechance87
04-15-2024, 02:05 AM
I have no problems with Mamu and Tre, but both are also easily replaceable. No one should “stay” other than Wemby unless we lose out on better options.

im not sure about that.Our scouting and coaching staff couldnt even put a decent roster around wemby.
Replacing tre would be easier,But not sure any decent fa pgs out there this offseason.And mamu can be
what porter and gordon is to jokic.Smart role players that make it easier for their star players.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 04:39 AM
Love Tre, i think his ability to adapt to the different role Wemby plays in a game is unmatched in this roster, he goes from corner wing to roll man to pnr ballhandler. He is like a smaller bruce brown.

He can't do a simple pick and roll, struggles to pass to Victor (got worse at it through out the season!) and is a liability on defense against elite guards.

He's an overachiever and deserves ton of respect, but he's not an NBA starting PG

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 04:44 AM
Spurs should try to accomplish the following this offseason.

Cut the bottom four players on the team to make room for fresh blood: Barlow, Graham, Bassey and Wesley.

Bring in at least two new rookie prospects.

Shift two starters to bench roles: Tre & Champagnie. Bring in two superior vet starters through free agency or trade to replace them.

Try to trade two backups and replace with upgrades: Collins and Branham. Free agents Hartenstein and Malik Monk would be excellent upgrades.

I agree

PG, SF and back up defensive big are the 3 priorities this summer to me

tbdog
04-15-2024, 05:25 AM
Hartenstein and Malik Monk both will command a decent pay day. Both play a position where our best players play, SG and C.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 06:16 AM
Hartenstein and Malik Monk both will command a decent pay day. Both play a position where our best players play, SG and C.

I should have taken away the last line

I was agreing on the starting positions (PG and SF) that need change.

TDomination
04-15-2024, 07:35 AM
Im beginning to really like Mamu, which means we’re going to trade him for like a late 2nd round pick and a player who we will waive immediately. Never seems to fail with this front office.

ambchang
04-15-2024, 08:01 AM
He can't do a simple pick and roll, struggles to pass to Victor (got worse at it through out the season!) and is a liability on defense against elite guards.

He's an overachiever and deserves ton of respect, but he's not an NBA starting PG

Tre Jones has the highest number of passes to Wemby for the entire year at 10.8

Broken down by months:
Oct / Nov - 4.6
Dec - 7.8
Jan - 12.5
Feb - 15.6
Mar - 15.5
Apr - 18.4

For comparison's sake, Giannis gets 16.6 passes from Damian Lillard (his highest number of passes received from a teammate) throughout the year.
Embiid got 21.7 from Maxey
Jokic 15.2 from Murray (Murray actually received more passes from Jokic at 18.2)

Clearly the number of passes improved over the year (due to more minutes), and to say Tre cannot pass to Wemby is absurd. The only way to consistently say that over and over again is either a lack of understanding of how the game is played, or you are essentially relying on twitter/X clips and highlights for your assessments.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 08:39 AM
Tre Jones has the highest number of passes to Wemby for the entire year at 10.8

Broken down by months:
Oct / Nov - 4.6
Dec - 7.8
Jan - 12.5
Feb - 15.6
Mar - 15.5
Apr - 18.4

For comparison's sake, Giannis gets 16.6 passes from Damian Lillard (his highest number of passes received from a teammate) throughout the year.
Embiid got 21.7 from Maxey
Jokic 15.2 from Murray (Murray actually received more passes from Jokic at 18.2)

Clearly the number of passes improved over the year (due to more minutes), and to say Tre cannot pass to Wemby is absurd. The only way to consistently say that over and over again is either a lack of understanding of how the game is played, or you are essentially relying on twitter/X clips and highlights for your assessments.

If you really wanna play the Don Quichote learn to differenciate passes on the perimeter and passes inside the paint that leads to an easy(ier) bucket.

You really are a contrarian ready to fight the obvious :lol

Edit

I've watched evey games except for the last one at okc, Tre deserves credit for imo overachieving, he's giving his best all the time and had been reliable in that aspect, he's clearly mature and high enough IQ to know what he can and can't do. I'm not hating on the dude nor am I relying on Twitter cliches

We's seen more reverse Pick and roll with Victor being the passer and Tre the receipient than the other way around. It's an issue no?

Nowadays they give an assist even if you just give the ball top of the key and the receipient does all the job to get the bucket, so you have to look further than the raw stats. I'm assuming you've watched the games as well, Tre struggles with lobs and never created any chemistry with Vitor. He did what he could pretty well, kept eveybody involved, gritty on D etc but hasn't shown any sign of a potential starter bc of his limitations on offense and the fact that any elite PG just ran on him this season.

Vassell is the closest to have at least worked on building that chenistry and his assist ratio to Victor was higher than Tre's after the ASG

The Truth #6
04-15-2024, 09:01 AM
Mamu is a great bench guy. Still improving. I don't think I'm overrating him. Indirectly, his praise, for me, is more of a disatisfaction that KJ and Devin are in too large a role for their abilities. I think Devin is overpaid, and his contract gives him the license and expectation to play on the ball a lot, and he's sort of a ball stopper. So while he's not a bad player in a vacuum, he's actually made huge progress, but Pop and Brian (see what I did there, TD21) gave him too large a role that he hasn't earned.

And so for a team that loves to go slow, it's hilarious they put Devin in a role with so much freedom too quickly.

So I would include Keldon and Devin in trade considerations. Devin can't be our number two option. May not number three either.

Unfortunately, we will have to hope for more internal development, but I don't see any players other than VW, obviously, who deserve to be on ball frequently.

This is a tough situation that can be fixed with the draft assets, but our own draft picks as assets in potential trades will get worse as the team gradually improves, which suggests making moves before our assets worsen.

Anyway. Totally rambling here, but there are so many confusing scenarios when thinking of the next season while recognizing the FO's history of how they make decisions.

ambchang
04-15-2024, 09:05 AM

If you really wanna play the Don Quichote learn to differenciate passes on the perimeter and passes inside the paint that leads to an easy(ier) bucket.

You really are a contrarian ready to fight the obvious :lol

Read your own posts.

Also, Tre Jones is 76.6th %tile as a pick and roll ball handler (not great), and 96.6th %tile as the roll man on VERY low frequency. While he's not great as a ball-handler, he's top quartile.

Edit

I've watched evey games except for the last one at okc, Tre deserves credit for imo overachieving, he's giving his best all the time and had been reliable in that aspect, he's clearly mature and high enough IQ to know what he can and can't do. I'm not hating on the dude nor am I relying on Twitter cliches

We's seen more reverse Pick and roll with Victor being the passer and Tre the receipient than the other way around. It's an issue no?

Nowadays they give an assist even if you just give the ball top of the key and the receipient does all the job to get the bucket, so you have to look further than the raw stats. I'm assuming you've watched the games as well, Tre struggles with lobs and never created any chemistry with Vitor. He did what he could pretty well, kept eveybody involved, gritty on D etc but hasn't shown any sign of a potential starter bc of his limitations on offense and the fact that any elite PG just ran on him this season.

Vassell is the closest to have at least worked on building that chenistry and his assist ratio to Victor was higher than Tre's after the ASG

Just because Vassell improved doesn't mean Tre regressed. Tre is a hard worker with limited physical gifts (NBA-wise) but he has clearly improved the floor of the Spurs and can be a valuable contributor to Wemby. Wemby as a passer to Tre is totally fine. As written earlier, Jamal Murray actually received more passes from Jokic than the other way around. I have no problems having Wemby as the hub of the Spurs offence ala Jokic. I am not sure if Wemby would be as good a passer as Jokic will be, but he clearly has the intelligence and will to do so. The Tre to Wemby two man game has been relatively successful, and teams are trying to shut it down, but Tre still manages to work well with Wemby throughout the year and the results and stats show that. The only thing that doesn't show that are twitter videos trying to get click baits.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 09:40 AM
Read your own posts.

Also, Tre Jones is 76.6th %tile as a pick and roll ball handler (not great), and 96.6th %tile as the roll man on VERY low frequency. While he's not great as a ball-handler, he's top quartile.

Just because Vassell improved doesn't mean Tre regressed. Tre is a hard worker with limited physical gifts (NBA-wise) but he has clearly improved the floor of the Spurs and can be a valuable contributor to Wemby. Wemby as a passer to Tre is totally fine. As written earlier, Jamal Murray actually received more passes from Jokic than the other way around. I have no problems having Wemby as the hub of the Spurs offence ala Jokic. I am not sure if Wemby would be as good a passer as Jokic will be, but he clearly has the intelligence and will to do so. The Tre to Wemby two man game has been relatively successful, and teams are trying to shut it down, but Tre still manages to work well with Wemby throughout the year and the results and stats show that. The only thing that doesn't show that are twitter videos trying to get click baits.

You can make it even bigger or add some colours if it pleases you, it won't change the fact Tre has struggled to build a chemistry with Victor AND his assist ratio got worse (I've been following those stats closely, Vassell who was far behind Tre almost cought him before his injury bc he worked on it)

There has never been a "Tre Wemby two man game" :lol. There has been a staggering number of missed opportunities

We can't change the whole roster anyway and Tre is far from the main issue as long as he occupies his real role which is back up PG

ambchang
04-15-2024, 10:27 AM
You can make it even bigger or add some colours if it pleases you, it won't change the fact Tre has struggled to build a chemistry with Victor AND his assist ratio got worse (I've been following those stats closely, Vassell who was far behind Tre almost cought him before his injury bc he worked on it)

There has never been a "Tre Wemby two man game" :lol. There has been a staggering number of missed opportunities

We can't change the whole roster anyway and Tre is far from the main issue as long as he occupies his real role which is back up PG

What's your back up? You said he struggled to pass to Wemby, I have shown that he hasn't. You moved the goalpost to pick and roll, I showed that Tre's pick and roll game is at the very least decent, and now you are moving the goalpost to assist ratio?

You either back your shit up or shut up. Continuously moving your goal posts and throwing out random "building a chemistry" is just cowardly.

There was no Tre-Wemby two man game even though Tre had by far the most passes from and to Wemby throughout the season, and those numbers increased significantly since the all star break.

Tre Jones and Wemby have the highest two man combination on the Spurs with a +5.1/100 possessions. With the team having a +5.1 assists compared to the opponents during that time. Of the top 5 2-man combinations on the Spurs, Tre Jones is in four of the five.

Not saying that this it the best the Spurs can do, but Tre Jones and Wemby does play decently well together. I believe there are way better options out there, just not sure if those players are available. I would love to have Jrue Holiday on the team, or Paul George, but that is unlikely to happen, but to throw random assertions about Tre over and over again, with no backup, is lazy. And to double down when proven wrong, then continue to move goalpost just reeks of a lack of integrity.

EDIT:
Staggering number of missed opportunities? Tre averages 12.1 potential assists per game vs. 6.1 delivered. compared to 6.4/3.9 for Wemby. Compared to, say Chris Paul, who has 13/6.8, or Trae Jones at 18.6/10.1. The ratios are ridiculously far off.

Tyrese Haliburton is at 17.8/10.9
Luka 16.9/9.3

A ratio of about 2:1 is on the low end, but not outside of the norm, and comparable to players like Chris Paul Devin Booker, Tyrese Maxey, and DJM.

onechance87
04-15-2024, 10:36 AM
What's your back up? You said he struggled to pass to Wemby, I have shown that he hasn't. You moved the goalpost to pick and roll, I showed that Tre's pick and roll game is at the very least decent, and now you are moving the goalpost to assist ratio?

You either back your shit up or shut up. Continuously moving your goal posts and throwing out random "building a chemistry" is just cowardly.

There was no Tre-Wemby two man game even though Tre had by far the most passes from and to Wemby throughout the season, and those numbers increased significantly since the all star break.

Tre Jones and Wemby have the highest two man combination on the Spurs with a +5.1/100 possessions. With the team having a +5.1 assists compared to the opponents during that time. Of the top 5 2-man combinations on the Spurs, Tre Jones is in four of the five.

Not saying that this it the best the Spurs can do, but Tre Jones and Wemby does play decently well together. I believe there are way better options out there, just not sure if those players are available. I would love to have Jrue Holiday on the team, or Paul George, but that is unlikely to happen, but to throw random assertions about Tre over and over again, with no backup, is lazy. And to double down when proven wrong, then continue to move goalpost just reeks of a lack of integrity.

of course tre has the most passes to wemby,Hes the fucking pg lol.Im sure he almost has the most passes to everybody.Dude is
stlll average and we can do better.Granham would shined with wemby,Shame he didnt get a chance.

ambchang
04-15-2024, 10:41 AM
of course tre has the most passes to wemby,Hes the fucking pg lol.Im sure he almost has the most passes to everybody.Dude is
stlll average and we can do better.Granham would shined with wemby,Shame he didnt get a chance.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/photos/read-to-achieve-school-visits

baseline bum
04-15-2024, 10:43 AM

It's still 100x better than Sochan - Wemby

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 11:12 AM

EDIT:
Staggering number of missed opportunities? Tre averages 12.1 potential assists per game vs. 6.1 delivered. compared to 6.4/3.9 for Wemby. Compared to, say Chris Paul, who has 13/6.8, or Trae Jones at 18.6/10.1. The ratios are ridiculously far off.

Tyrese Haliburton is at 17.8/10.9
Luka 16.9/9.3

A ratio of about 2:1 is on the low end, but not outside of the norm, and comparable to players like Chris Paul Devin Booker, Tyrese Maxey, and DJM.

You just don't understand how to read stats, what can I say...

I already answered all your points, all assists aren't the same, if Tre passes to Wemby top of the key and Wemby does a Shamgod & scores, Tre will get an assist. That's not the same as setting up your man with a pick a roll of a timely lob pass.

What's so hard to understand?

Are you on a mission to protect Private Tre or you just love to argue for the sake of it?

sfernald
04-15-2024, 11:26 AM

Well, when Wemby plays only 30 minutes a game that leaves 18 minutes of awefulness. Hartenstein is so underrated I think he would be worth whatever he costs for that 18 minutes a game. Plus I think he could play with Wemby and let Wemby play the four occasionally. Or use him on the really big boys at times for a break for Wemby. He’s just infinitely better than Collins.

Mallk monk can play PG too so he would be the perfect first guard off the bench to play with whichever starter stays in. And he’s starter quality to boot. I honestly don’t think you can have too many high level guards. Look at Boston with White and Holiday and Prichard.

This is all assuming these guys can be picked up relatively cheap as they are not well known names.

rjv
04-15-2024, 11:37 AM
Im beginning to really like Mamu, which means we’re going to trade him for like a late 2nd round pick and a player who we will waive immediately. Never seems to fail with this front office.

maybe you're just a curse. stop liking him and he'll retire a spur.

ambchang
04-15-2024, 11:52 AM
You just don't understand how to read stats, what can I say...

I already answered all your points, all assists aren't the same, if Tre passes to Wemby top of the key and Wemby does a Shamgod & scores, Tre will get an assist. That's not the same as setting up your man with a pick a roll of a timely lob pass.

What's so hard to understand?

Are you on a mission to protect Private Tre or you just love to argue for the sake of it?

You don’t know how to read your own posts. That’s the issue. Read the part I bolded and increased font to you. You never said anything about assists. Are you this stupid? Read your own posts. You throw shit on the wall, got called out and kept moving the goal posts. You didn’t talk about assists. You talked about passes. You talked about inability to execute a simple pick and roll. Both have been statistically proven to be wrong.

Read your own posts. Ok? Read your own posts.

If you didn’t get it the first 17 times. Read your own posts.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 12:15 PM
You don’t know how to read your own posts. That’s the issue. Read the part I bolded and increased font to you. You never said anything about assists. Are you this stupid? Read your own posts. You throw shit on the wall, got called out and kept moving the goal posts. You didn’t talk about assists. You talked about passes. You talked about inability to execute a simple pick and roll. Both have been statistically proven to be wrong.

Read your own posts. Ok? Read your own posts.

If you didn’t get it the first 17 times. Read your own posts.

At first I was annoyed at your pattern to run circles,

Then I noticed how good you looked on your profile pic.

It all makes sense now.

ambchang
04-15-2024, 02:10 PM
At first I was annoyed at your pattern to run circles,

Then I noticed how good you looked on your profile pic.

It all makes sense now.

So did you read your own posts? Do you finally understand you were talking about passes? Or are you still willfully stupid because you want to win an Internet argument?

You have, once again side stepped your own errors and go off tangents, throwing a tantrum and refuse to own up. You will then go back and repeat and same garbage you’ve been spewing as if nothing has happened. Your posts are extremely low in quality that are often wrong and you have no mental capacity to see that, often going by volume and quantity of your posts rather than quality.

Even your attempted insults are juvenile and lack wit or insight. Really? Attacking a profile picture? I thought you were simply stupid but you somehow manage to shatter that low bar with even worse stunts. However, it would be fitting for you not being able to outwit a gorilla.

Finally, running circles? It’s the exact same point I’ve been making throughout the entire back and forth, passing and pick and rolls, which you originally posted. It was you who kept moving the goalposts. Your stupidity is so jarring, it’s almost profound.

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 03:10 PM
So did you read your own posts? Do you finally understand you were talking about passes? Or are you still willfully stupid because you want to win an Internet argument?

You have, once again side stepped your own errors and go off tangents, throwing a tantrum and refuse to own up. You will then go back and repeat and same garbage you’ve been spewing as if nothing has happened. Your posts are extremely low in quality that are often wrong and you have no mental capacity to see that, often going by volume and quantity of your posts rather than quality.

Even your attempted insults are juvenile and lack wit or insight. Really? Attacking a profile picture? I thought you were simply stupid but you somehow manage to shatter that low bar with even worse stunts. However, it would be fitting for you not being able to outwit a gorilla.

Finally, running circles? It’s the exact same point I’ve been making throughout the entire back and forth, passing and pick and rolls, which you originally posted. It was you who kept moving the goalposts. Your stupidity is so jarring, it’s almost profound.

Talking about throwing a tantrum... :lol

objective
04-15-2024, 03:57 PM
What was the game where Tre missed a wide open transition Wemby for a dunk in like the last minute of play in a close game?

Pauleta14
04-15-2024, 05:14 PM
What was the game where Tre missed a wide open transition Wemby for a dunk in like the last minute of play in a close game?

Not sure but there was a comical (now) stretch where either Tre Vassell or Sochan missed a wide open Wemby that lead to countless memes on internet

I get that Victor is unique and requires a time of adaptation, what bothers me with Tre is that contrary to Vassell I haven't seen any improvements, Victor cought a lot of very bad passes and again recently Tre sent lobs at the top of the board...

Anyway short term he's not the main issue to fix as long as he's on the bench

OldMan88
04-15-2024, 05:56 PM
I like aspects of Tre’s game. He finishes well at the rim, is aggressive and doesn’t seem to panic. But he can’t run the pick & roll with Wemby worth a shit. I’ve also noticed he doesn’t always recognize & feed the ball to the player with the hot hand. I’m also willing to recognize that some of his issues with play selection may be game plan related and he’s just following orders. I like the way Mamu plays with Wemby, especially the way they run the pick & roll together. I’d like to see him stay with the team.

Mr. Body
04-15-2024, 06:00 PM
Tre: Improves throughout the season and the lineups vastly improve when he plays.

SpursTalk: We gotta get rid of this guy.

cutewizard
04-15-2024, 06:58 PM
agree

cutewizard
04-15-2024, 06:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqkNCit-JPM

cutewizard
04-15-2024, 07:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is2NT7MkSiA

ambchang
04-15-2024, 07:36 PM
Talking about throwing a tantrum... :lol

You really are retarded. Why would you bump a thread that shows you how retarded you are?

Knoxxx
04-15-2024, 10:08 PM
Let’s try to not have infighting amongst fellow Spur fans.

I’m an end of thread jumper onto. Did anyone see Tre throw down that dunk against DET? Great moment!

Pauleta14
04-16-2024, 09:08 AM
You really are retarded. Why would you bump a thread that shows you how retarded you are?

So that's how you reached +17k posts?? Just pointless arguments and insults?

Also, not only most posts agreed with my take on the same page but contrary to you I dgaf what ppl might think of me, especially on a message board, I'm focused on the topic, not the person. You should try

You're telling a lot about yourself unwittingly sweet ape :lol

Pauleta14
04-16-2024, 09:10 AM
Let’s try to not have infighting amongst fellow Spur fans.

I’m an end of thread jumper onto. Did anyone see Tre throw down that dunk against DET? Great moment!

Preach

No idea why so many can't stand the idea of a different opinion. It's trully fascinating to observe

And yeah we all rememeber the dunk, it actually reminded me TP's dunk (vs Rockets iircc), both were so unexpected ...:lol

ambchang
04-16-2024, 01:00 PM
So that's how you reached +17k posts?? Just pointless arguments and insults?

Also, not only most posts agreed with my take on the same page but contrary to you I dgaf what ppl might think of me, especially on a message board, I'm focused on the topic, not the person. You should try

So now post count smack? It is kind of funny how the responses went back and forth for days, nobody chimed in, and the second your arguments fell to bits, you suddenly disappear from the thread for hours (as compared to responding every 30 mins like you did previously), then the same people who always agree with you suddenly chime in independently and repeated the same thing you said, just all kinds of coincidences there.

Yeah, you are focusing on the topic, not the person, when you have:

Preach

No idea why so many can't stand the idea of a different opinion. It's trully fascinating to observe

And yeah we all rememeber the dunk, it actually reminded me TP's dunk (vs Rockets iircc), both were so unexpected ...:lol

You mean the mysterious people who suddenly come out and repeat your points, then somehow talk about single specific plays instead of understanding data? I can certainly see how you always takes different opinions in strides, because we certainly haven't seen you repeat the same points that run contrary to statistics the entire year, have people point it out, then you keep repeating the same points after you have nothing to come back to and pretend the entire debate never happened.

ginobilized
04-16-2024, 01:32 PM
To my untrained eye, Mamu really helps unlock Victor's game. Wemby seems to genuinely enjoy playing with him. Having 2 great passers makes the team so much easier to watch.
It will be hard to see him replaced with another low IQ player, if that's the case.
I'd love to see him get another chance here.

Pauleta14
04-16-2024, 05:49 PM
So now post count smack? It is kind of funny how the responses went back and forth for days, nobody chimed in, and the second your arguments fell to bits, you suddenly disappear from the thread for hours (as compared to responding every 30 mins like you did previously), then the same people who always agree with you suddenly chime in independently and repeated the same thing you said, just all kinds of coincidences there.

Yeah, you are focusing on the topic, not the person, when you have:

You mean the mysterious people who suddenly come out and repeat your points, then somehow talk about single specific plays instead of understanding data? I can certainly see how you always takes different opinions in strides, because we certainly haven't seen you repeat the same points that run contrary to statistics the entire year, have people point it out, then you keep repeating the same points after you have nothing to come back to and pretend the entire debate never happened.

You need to go outside sometimes

kxs783kms
04-18-2024, 07:54 PM
Tre: Improves throughout the season and the lineups vastly improve when he plays.

SpursTalk: We gotta get rid of this guy.

No matter who we get, I'm come to learn this place will hate him and want him traded immediately after they have one bad game.

The Truth #6
04-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Tre definitely improved since starting. He's at least making open 3s. Still a low level starter but he brings competency and reliability for a team that often lacks both. Also, he doesn't get in the way of Wemby unlike Devin at times.

Trill Clinton
04-19-2024, 07:35 AM
I'm fine with both coming back in a backup role.

onechance87
04-19-2024, 07:38 AM
Tre definitely improved since starting. He's at least making open 3s. Still a low level starter but he brings competency and reliability for a team that often lacks both. Also, he doesn't get in the way of Wemby unlike Devin at times.

yea true...I think vassell needs to go....Think he tries to hard to prove hes a star player lol

The Truth #6
04-19-2024, 10:37 AM
Final tangent on Devin: I definitely think he has improved, but the front office went way too fast with this big contract. Who are they competing with to sign him? Devin thinks he's the number two option on the team. That will just cause more tension for him to let go of that for us to be a better team in the future when we get more talent. Hilarious that the slow moving FO went too fast. It shows they got too excited after getting Wemby and yes, thought Jeremy could play point guard. I think reality has set in and should be better moving forward now. We'll see.