PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mock Draft 1.0 for the 2024 NBA Draft

timvp
05-17-2024, 04:57 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-mock-draft-1-2024-nba-draft/

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-17-2024, 05:12 AM
Interesting that you see Castle as a wing, rather than a PG. This is how I see him and it’s precisely why his value drops for me. If they believe his shot can be fixed … we’ve said this so many times I can’t be bothered anymore.

I hate this draft and hope they trade at least one of the picks but then the value and offers might not be there.

In this specific scenario I’d go Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams or Holland at 8.

baseline bum
05-17-2024, 05:22 AM
Spurs go Castle at 4 and they're fucked if anyone takes Dillingham just on talent, as someone is surely taking Sheppard. Ugh if the Spurs draft ends up being Castle and Topic and Victor still has no one who can hit a jump shot other than Vassell around him. I don't like seeing the Spurs try to outsmart themselves. Take Dilly 4 and then the remaining wing with the most upside at 8 if the first 3 picks play out like this. Yes I'd rather have Castle than Holland, Williams, or Salaun, but this is a dangerous game thinking everyone 5-7 is going to pick by positional need.

Dhbsr555
05-17-2024, 05:23 AM
Interesting that you see Castle as a wing, rather than a PG. This is how I see him and it’s precisely why his value drops for me. If they believe his shot can be fixed … we’ve said this so many times I can’t be bothered anymore.

I hate this draft and hope they trade at least one of the picks but then the value and offers might not be there.

In this specific scenario I’d go Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams or Holland at 8.
I think going pg at 4 is the way to go rather than risk them not being there at 8

jiggy_55
05-17-2024, 05:35 AM
Spurs go Castle at 4 and they're fucked if anyone takes Dillingham just on talent, as someone is surely taking Sheppard. Ugh if the Spurs draft ends up being Castle and Topic and Victor still has no one who can hit a jump shot other than Vassell around him. I don't like seeing the Spurs try to outsmart themselves. Take Dilly 4 and then the remaining wing with the most upside at 8 if the first 3 picks play out like this. Yes I'd rather have Castle than Holland or Williams but this is a dangerous game thinking everyone 5-7 is going to pick by positional need.

100%

duncan2150
05-17-2024, 05:52 AM
I agree with baseline, don’t draft by thinking a targeted player will be there at 8.I also Guess the spurs will take a guard at four and a foWard at 8. But we talk about shooting, i agree we need that badly but we also need Defense. That’s Why I’m not a dilly guy at four. Plenty of options.

jesterbobman
05-17-2024, 05:57 AM
I'm fine with the general strategy of wing first, as I think 5-6-7 is unlikely to go on ball PG (off ball / mixed options like Reed and Castle are more possible).

I could easily see Holland going in one of the 6 /7 slots. Charlotte if Castle is gone (I think Castle makes a lot of sense in Charlotte, secondary / tertiary playmaker who can defend anyone from 1-3, and might be #1 on a Charlotte board), and Holland's past pedigree as a High school and youth make sense for Portland and their past focus (upside swings on athletes, being OK with no play at College if the high school tape is good enough).

Question: You had Cody higher on your first big board, and went Castle here. Is this a change in your view / what you're hearing informed from the combine, or just running through a scenario?

Patt
05-17-2024, 06:07 AM
The good thing about Castle is that he can improve our defence on the bigger guards such as Luka and SGA....we will need this if we get OKC or Dallas in the playoffs in a few years time.

exstatic
05-17-2024, 06:33 AM

Actually,having more upside ‘outs’ for development is a good thing.

mo7888
05-17-2024, 06:39 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-mock-draft-1-2024-nba-draft/

That would be a highly disappointing draft. Hopefully it changes in the next few weeks..

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 06:39 AM
Castle/Dillingham is my best outcome. In fact, the only outcome I really like. Probably can sub in Reed if I had to.

I'm not sure about Clingan at two. I don't think Washington gets a Jakob Poeltl type that high and their fanbase doesn't either. They seem to expect Topic or Castle.

I think there's real risk for Washington, Houston, Detroit, or even Charlotte taking Dillingham. If you spread out all the players and ignore mocks, just genuinely look at what you have, I think Sarr, Reed, and Dillingham will be around top three on some of these boards.

That said, it's very uncertain. It's more likely two and three go like Topic, Reed or Risacher. But I'm with those who say don't leave the rest to chance. Take Rob at four. If you at scared Castle is gone before eight, look into the type of trade the Pacers made last year and throw some seconds at Charlotte to see if they'll move.

Eaglenole2002
05-17-2024, 06:42 AM
I have a feeling Castle ends up going 2 to Washington. He can fit decently well with Poole as a guy who can guard shooting guards while he and Poole toggle between PG and SG on offense.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 06:43 AM
Also, right now I expect Holland to go top eight, even top three. I think he'll gain buzz as the draft process goes on.

rascal
05-17-2024, 06:47 AM
I think going pg at 4 is the way to go rather than risk them not being there at 8

No way

Charlotte Portland and Detroit arn't all going pgs.

Spurs will have Topic, Dillingham and Sheppard still on the board at 4 so at least one or two of those three will still be there at 8.

rascal
05-17-2024, 06:53 AM
Castle/Dillingham is my best outcome. In fact, the only outcome I really like. Probably can sub in Reed if I had to.

I'm not sure about Clingan at two. I don't think Washington gets a Jakob Poeltl type that high and their fanbase doesn't either. They seem to expect Topic or Castle.

I think there's real risk for Washington, Houston, Detroit, or even Charlotte taking Dillingham. If you spread out all the players and ignore mocks, just genuinely look at what you have, I think Sarr, Reed, and Dillingham will be around top three on some of these boards.

That said, it's very uncertain. It's more likely two and three go like Topic, Reed or Risacher. But I'm with those who say don't leave the rest to chance. Take Rob at four. If you at scared Castle is gone before eight, look into the type of trade the Pacers made last year and throw some seconds at Charlotte to see if they'll move.

If you want Castle then you have to take him at 4. There is real possibility he's drafted by Wash at two.

I like Timvp's scenario to grab Castle(combo guard) at 4 as there will still be a pg at 8. Trade for a couple of shooters to shore up shooting but in this draft address perimeter defense combo guard(Castle) and playmaking (Topic) or go Dillingham/Sheppard at 8.

rankingtear
05-17-2024, 06:54 AM
Drafting him means they believe in his jumper improving. He fits the pattern with Devin and Sochan being high level college role player types with creation upside. I think it is the same thinking with Sidy, you have a complete wing if you develop his shot and you can have 4-5 of those in your playoff rotation if they have positional size. I can see Castle thriving in our system, but maybe a journey man if he is picked by some other team with traditional offenses. He is not a plug and play guy. One thing he address is the secondary POA defender on dual initiator teams, if he hits and Sochan somehow strokes it then you have you have already built your top 3 defense that can matchup with any team in the playoff assuming you don't bring in a major weak link.

rascal
05-17-2024, 06:58 AM

Don't be afraid. There will be a pg at 8 for sure.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 06:59 AM
he Pacers sent Coulibaly to Washington in exchange for Walker, whom the Wizards took a pick later at No. 8. The Pacers received Washington's 2028 second-round draft pick and the Phoenix Suns' second-round pick in the same draft that the Wizards previously acquired via trade.

Last year the Wizards moved up a slot with just two SRPs. Every situation is different, but the market may not be expensive.

Castle regards himself as a point, btw, according to recent interviews. In the Spurs system it doesn't matter a ton. I think he'd get a lot of reps in ball handling situations.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Drafting him means they believe in his jumper improving. He fits the pattern with Devin and Sochan being high level college role player types with creation upside. I think it is the same thinking with Sidy, you have a complete wing if you develop his shot and you can have 4-5 of those in your playoff rotation if they have positional size. I can see Castle thriving in our system, but maybe a journey man if he is picked by some other team with traditional offenses. He is not a plug and play guy. One thing he address is the secondary POA defender on dual initiator teams, if he hits and Sochan somehow strokes it then you have you have already built your top 3 defense that can matchup with any team in the playoff assuming you don't bring in a major weak link.

One thing, I do think you can plug Castle in. He's going to pick up the schemes very well and his defense is going to translate. He can foul a bit and needs fine tuning, but he can be rotation right away.

rascal
05-17-2024, 07:03 AM
Timvp
Portland will go Holland at 7

Eaglenole2002
05-17-2024, 07:14 AM
Something to keep in mind: These point guards are all very different. It’s not as simple as whatever PG falls to 8 will be a player the Spurs love. Surely they have strong opinions about upside, fit, etc. I doubt all of them are in the same tier for them.

rascal
05-17-2024, 07:20 AM
Something to keep in mind: These point guards are all very different. It’s not as simple as whatever PG falls to 8 will be a player the Spurs love. Surely they have strong opinions about upside, fit, etc. I doubt all of them are in the same tier for them.

Of course they are different and maybe different tier levels but each of the pgs will bring a needed skill to the Spurs so can't go wrong with any of them.

Eaglenole2002
05-17-2024, 07:32 AM
Of course they are different and maybe different tier levels but each of the pgs will bring a needed skill to the Spurs so can't go wrong with any of them.
Sure, but as you said if they’re in different tiers, we shouldn’t wait and let whomever falls and be happy. Make a small trade up and ensure you get the guy you want (if there is a tier gap).

rascal
05-17-2024, 07:34 AM
Sure, but as you said if they’re in different tiers, we shouldn’t wait and let whomever falls and be happy. Make a small trade up and ensure you get the guy you want (if there is a tier gap).

Can't count on trade ups. Spurs never pull that off on draft day.

rankingtear
05-17-2024, 07:35 AM
I am lukewarm on Dilly, atleast he is not a 5 pick 60 million commitment. But the West is big, there is a high chance he is not playable in series like DAL or DEN who can hunt your weak link relentlessly. In the east sure, there is some smallish guard out there they can't bench. You invest a lot of resources on someone like that just to lose all that value on a bad matchup.

CGD
05-17-2024, 07:38 AM
Really like Castle at 4. Im not a Dillingham fan at all but at 8 I won’t hate it (though, i probably lean Topic personally if still there).

Btw I was shocked to learn the Dillingham weighed less than BONES Hyland did at his draft. People want to look the other way, but he will be a huge project if selected.

heyheymymy
05-17-2024, 07:45 AM
If you're flexible enough the 4th pick works out for you in any scenario.

(1.) Sarr (2.) Clingan/Dillingham (3.) Sheppard = drops Castle/Risacher to SA

(1.) Sarr (2.) Castle (3.) Risacher = drops Sheppard/Dillingham to SA

(1.) Risacher (2.) Dillingham/Castle (3.) Sheppard = drops Sarr to SA

Chinook
05-17-2024, 07:48 AM
I don't love the Castle/Dillingham combo unless a Vassell or at least a Jones trade is in the future. That combo might work well together, but combined with Devin, Tre, Malaki and Blake, it's an awkward rotation. I know this was ass-pull logic from me, but in the event of a Castle pick, I feel like chasing an established combo-guard to co-run the bench with him makes more sense than drafting a pure PG. Castle/Monk is a good switchable combo, for example. I don't love committing to such a young guard rotation. They need a vet presence to help mold them, just as I think the wings and centers could use that.

Chinook
05-17-2024, 07:50 AM
If you're flexible enough the 4th pick works out for you in any scenario.

(1.) Sarr, (2.) Clingan/Dillingham, (3.) Sheppard = drops Castle/Risacher to SA

(1.) Sarr, (2.) Castle, (3.) Risacher = drops Sheppard/Dillingham to SA

(1.) Risacher, (2.) Dillingham, (3.) Sheppard = drops Sarr to SA

Or at ATL would say

(1.) Who cares?, (2.) Who/Cares?, (3.) Seriously, who cares? = Edey to SA

Mugen
05-17-2024, 07:52 AM
If the Castle is the pick at 4, it's because the team thinks he's the PG of the future.

I'm good with Castle being the pick but I don't taking Dillingham at #8. I'd rather just go with Saluan at that spot.

CGD
05-17-2024, 07:57 AM
If the Castle is the pick at 4, it's because the team thinks he's the PG of the future.

I'm good with Castle being the pick but I don't taking Dillingham at #8. I'd rather just go with Saluan at that spot.

I share this view. Castle IS the PG pick if taking at 4, even if he’s not the day 1 starter. With 8 the wing or a trade down to take player that would be there at 15 or so.

rascal
05-17-2024, 08:09 AM

Spurs will play Castle at both the 1 and 2. They will like his versatility to be a combo guard and will be an additional selling point for them. This will still enable the Spurs to pick up a more traditional ball handling pg.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 08:09 AM
I don't love the Castle/Dillingham combo unless a Vassell or at least a Jones trade is in the future. That combo might work well together, but combined with Devin, Tre, Malaki and Blake, it's an awkward rotation. I know this was ass-pull logic from me, but in the event of a Castle pick, I feel like chasing an established combo-guard to co-run the bench with him makes more sense than drafting a pure PG. Castle/Monk is a good switchable combo, for example. I don't love committing to such a young guard rotation. They need a vet presence to help mold them, just as I think the wings and centers could use that.

Tre Jones shouldn't factor into any decisions. He can hold down the starting PG for another year or so, or he can be moved to the bench. He's very tradeable if it comes to that, too, and will get some attention. Devin Vassell isn't going anywhere. If you add a solid perimeter threat, he's going to get tons of looks.

Castle covers for Dillingham if you have them in the same lineup. If Dillingham never improves on D, there's a problem, but if you can grade him up at least a little, then they both work. Castle cuts, sets screens, can run advanced actions, sees link-ups. The offensive gravity that Wembanyama and Dillingham both provide could potentially -- potentially -- make a VW-Dilly-Castle-Vassell-Sochan lineup work. That's two currently poor shooters, but Wembanyama and Dillingham create so much advantage that a motion offense will be hard to handle. You only have one poor defender in the mix with three potentially exceptional defenders.

heyheymymy
05-17-2024, 08:23 AM
Maybe Salaun is not so crazy at 8

He moves better than Risacher, honestly. Like that high release on his shot. Going to be tough to block up there. His motor looks intense. Love the ball hawking with Salaun's 7'1 wingspan that leads to open court breaks. He would fit next to Wemby quite nicely and if Sochan can develop a remotely reliable shot the two would be a terror wing together.

And Salaun is younger than Risacher he won't turn 19 until after the draft.

I liked Salaun early on and got cold feet due to his rawness but he's appearing more interchangeable with Risacher than he probably should be. With the additional FRP conveying SA can afford a swing pick along with their lock so I'm sensing a Spursy curveball somewhat. Would still prefer a trade down to 14 but then again you might miss him there so 8 is a tad early but not too bad.

cd98
05-17-2024, 08:45 AM
A 6'6 player with a great defensive reputation should be able to guard point guards, shooting guards, and small forwards. So if the Spurs go Castle at 4 then my guess is he will play all three spots and give them line up flexibility. But that also depends on if he can get a respectable NBA jump shot. If the Spurs end up with two non-shooters in the lottery, then we can only assume they are "Failing for Flagg" next year because even Wemby in God mode is not enough to carry this team to the play-in without some outside shooting.

John B
05-17-2024, 08:45 AM
Thanks Timvp. In your scenario, I’d take Buzelis at 4, 6’10 who can shoot and help defend. Then take any of Castle/Dilly/Reed or Topic at 8. One of them will be bound to be there, for Spurs starting PG of the future. Height and PG by the end of the day.

Cardinal
05-17-2024, 08:56 AM
Castle and Dillingham would be as close to perfect as it can get. But I doubt Dillingham (or Castle) will be there at 8, so I don’t see the Spurs being able to get both unless they trade up

mudyez
05-17-2024, 09:08 AM
I was watching the long long Risacher video with makes and misses...and then the Salaun Highlights with only makes.

I'm a simple man...I want Salaun...NOW!

Davidicus
05-17-2024, 09:11 AM
All I know is that this draft is going to be a lot of fun to watch, especially as a Spurs fan. Would love to see every teams big board, they're probably all over the place. Expecting trades, surprise picks, etc., and waiting through 5-7 will be brutal.

LeBowen
05-17-2024, 09:18 AM
Castle and Dillingham would be as close to perfect as it can get. But I doubt Dillingham (or Castle) will be there at 8, so I don’t see the Spurs being able to get both unless they trade up

Castle probaly won't be there at #8, but Dillingham most likely would.
Detroit, Hornets and Blazers all have offense oriented point guards with questionable defense. They'd maybe consider taking Castle, but those three franchises are all in a bad position, I don't think there's a big chance they take Dillingham.

PhantomDashCam
05-17-2024, 09:31 AM
If Washington determines he’s a PG, I think they’ll take him there.
If they start to think of him as a wing, the outlook is more unclear. Could see them falling in love with Holland through the pre-draft process for example.

I Love that this kid is a winner though. You see it in the UCONN highlights. He celebrates his teammates making winning plays effusively, be it a defensive stop or a precisely executed Offensive set. That’s a rare quality at his age. Seems like he’d be a great team-mate.

Mugen
05-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Clingan going top 3 would be amazing for the Spurs regardless tbh.

rankingtear
05-17-2024, 09:39 AM
Point guard might be a stretch for Castle, he played more of a Draymond/Gordon role in their tourney run. He does not really playmake out of ball screens, more stationary and high lows. I am leaning toward a connector wing, maybe a combo if his shooting just takes off.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 09:40 AM
From Mat Issa:

It seems like Stephon Castle is pretty dead set on playing point guard in the NBA.

Here is what he had to say when asked about how he would fit next to someone like Ja Morant:

“They have a star point guard in Ja Morant. I feel like I can fit on to any kind of team. I feel like my game is pretty flexible. I feel like I can play with any kind of guys in any kind of way. But I also feel like I made that sacrifice in college. Now, we’re talking about my career, and that’s something I take pride in. Now, I really want to play the one. So, that’s just something to think about.”

This in response to a question about Memphis. Provocatively stated, in a way, as if he's saying he doesn't want to go there. "Just something to think about." A low level threat, lol, or just badly stated.

I wonder if he's indicating the same to a team like Charlotte, where he's been heavily mocked and won't have the ball much in his hands. I think there are valid questions of whether he can run a team, or should, but he seems clear he wants to.

As for the Spurs, I think he can slot into the PG spot once he's ready, although the fit with Sochan is a concern. But then the Spurs run such varied sets that a single player doesn't need to be ball dominant and he would get plenty of chances to make primary and secondary actions. Will he really be asserting his preferences like this? What kind of expectations does he have in terms of usage?

JH22
05-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Knecht at 4 and Dillingham at 8 and I’m a happy guy.

Russ
05-17-2024, 10:05 AM
The case for Castle is simple -- he's a winner, a skilled winner.

The template is the "Villanova guys" on the Knicks, winners. Perhaps basketball is a team sport and not just an amalgam of measurables.

Duncan2177
05-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Castle at 4 and Cody or Salaun at 8. :spin

rascal
05-17-2024, 10:38 AM
I can see the Spurs fo being split on Castle or Topic at 4.

Hope the Castle side prevails.

Raven
05-17-2024, 10:49 AM

this tbh.. in fact, if castle is a wing, I don't see why anyone would invest in him at all

spurraider21
05-17-2024, 10:52 AM
Agree with bum. The only situation where i think i feel comfortable taking a wing at 4 is if it’s Risacher. Yes I’m tempted to game theory it and bank on a point guard falling but the possibility of coming out of the draft without either Kentucky guard to me would be catastrophic. Yes we got the second pick but use that to come away with more talent not trying to leverage it in a situation that could backfire

Russ
05-17-2024, 10:55 AM
this tbh.. in fact, if castle is a wing, I don't see why anyone would invest in him at all

Maybe the Spurs should just get some basketball players and let their opponents try to figure out what positions they play. (Or maybe not.)

kobyz
05-17-2024, 11:17 AM
At #4 i have conflict between Castle and Cody Williams, and at #8 i want Saluan but i doubt he stay till then

Raven
05-17-2024, 11:25 AM
The good thing about Castle is that he can improve our defence on the bigger guards such as Luka and SGA....we will need this if we get OKC or Dallas in the playoffs in a few years time.
luka is in no way a guard lol and castle can't be projected to defend him

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 11:32 AM

Agreed. I know the lack of shooting combo is scary but I take Castle + Holland or Holland + Dillingham

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 11:33 AM
Spurs go Castle at 4 and they're fucked if anyone takes Dillingham just on talent, as someone is surely taking Sheppard. Ugh if the Spurs draft ends up being Castle and Topic and Victor still has no one who can hit a jump shot other than Vassell around him. I don't like seeing the Spurs try to outsmart themselves. Take Dilly 4 and then the remaining wing with the most upside at 8 if the first 3 picks play out like this. Yes I'd rather have Castle than Holland, Williams, or Salaun, but this is a dangerous game thinking everyone 5-7 is going to pick by positional need.

Just trade pick 8 + CHA their pick back for pick 6 and you dont have to sweat as much

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 11:35 AM

Disagree big time. Draft the best player available at 4. Always. You dont draft for position. Then if you fear a PG you like wont be there at 8 you simply make a trade to move up and get him.

Robz4000
05-17-2024, 11:38 AM
We all know the Spurs are gonna take two players projected in the second round at 4 and 8 tbh.

Extra Stout
05-17-2024, 11:38 AM
I don’t like Salaun at all at 8.

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 11:39 AM

We dont need to factor in Blake or Branham IMO. If they make huge leaps and show out in camp fine, but at this point they should be already on chopping block unless they prove they don’t belong there.

Spurs Homer
05-17-2024, 11:42 AM
Gross

A guy who is stating clearly he will play point guard and is adamant about it - and has zero shooting skills to boot...at #4

and a 2nd PG who wont be there at 8!

Brilliant!

Hope timvp is wrong...

The best talent in the top 8 (that FITS the spurs!) is Dilly at 4 and Buzelis at 8 to my eyes. Hope I am wrong also.

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 11:50 AM
I would be fine with this draft tbh…

Replacing Branham/Blake/Graham (who really didn’t get minutes anyways) with Castle + Dillingham is a big upgrade at this point in terms of potential and ceiling. It’s not like drafting Castle with his shooting concerns is any worse than Blakes shooting or even Branhams 3 ball

But I think then you need to obviously add some wing talent via FA/Trade (Patrick Williams?)

Adding Castle/Dillingham to replace Branham/Blake minutes and adding someone like Williams to the rotation for shooting/size/defense makes sense

But I guess you still have to view Castle as a PG. Start him at PG, shift him to 2 guard when Dilly comes in. Basically like letting Derrick White be your PG in Castle.

Raven
05-17-2024, 11:59 AM
Thanks Timvp. In your scenario, I’d take Buzelis at 4, 6’10 who can shoot and help defend. Then take any of Castle/Dilly/Reed or Topic at 8. One of them will be bound to be there, for Spurs starting PG of the future. Height and PG by the end of the day.
buzelis can shoot?

ginobilized
05-17-2024, 12:00 PM
I really think Castle is the right pick at 4. UConn's offense is at least as complex as the Spurs, but, they ran it to perfection. He will have no problem transitioning. His shot will improve, that's his only job.
Salaun could be a genius move in 3-5 years. Maybe sooner. Just his presence on the team should add a bit of pressure for Sochan to improve.

What happens in the highly unlikely event that the draft goes something like this?
1) Risacher
2) Topic
3) Castle

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 12:01 PM
I really think Castle is the right pick at 4. UConn's offense is at least as complex as the Spurs, but, they ran it to perfection. He will have no problem transitioning. His shot will improve, that's his only job.
Salaun could be a genius move in 3-5 years. Maybe sooner. Just his presence on the team should add a bit of pressure for Sochan to improve.

What happens in the highly unlikely event that the draft goes something like this?
1) Risacher
2) Topic
3) Castle

Spurs undoubtedly take Sarr or trade to someone who will.

The Truth #6
05-17-2024, 12:08 PM
My personal statistically unsupported feeling is that Buz might be kind of soft. This raises a much larger point for me, which is to me a contrast, perhaps a huge contrast, in what type of player the Spurs seek, versus the type of player that will succeed in the Spurs system. Good character people, with good intelligence, with good senses of humor and outside interests etc, but to make it on the Spurs they have to also be able to turn that off and be completely professional and intense. Manu was amazing in that regard in that he could be super chill and super intense when needed, but I don't think most people or players are that way. So I'm actually leaning Castle over Buzz purely for this reason, because I think Castle already acts like a grown ass man who will fit in fairly easily, at least from a maturity and professional level, and no, I don't have any concerns about him wanting to play point guard as far as him stating what he wants.

spurraider21
05-17-2024, 12:32 PM
castle is telling everybody who will listen that he sees himself as a PG and wants to play PG. didnt see a lot of playmaking from him in college, though i imagine point castle has a better chance of working out than point sochan if we want a supersized defensive PG

if we do take castle at 4 i'd probably lean Cody Williams or knecht with the other pick.

Raven
05-17-2024, 12:35 PM
Agree with bum. The only situation where i think i feel comfortable taking a wing at 4 is if it’s Risacher. Yes I’m tempted to game theory it and bank on a point guard falling but the possibility of coming out of the draft without either Kentucky guard to me would be catastrophic. Yes we got the second pick but use that to come away with more talent not trying to leverage it in a situation that could backfire

i don't see a scenario, where at least 2 pgs don't last until #8

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 12:36 PM
castle is telling everybody who will listen that he sees himself as a PG and wants to play PG. didnt see a lot of playmaking from him in college, though i imagine point castle has a better chance of working out than point sochan if we want a supersized defensive PG

if we do take castle at 4 i'd probably lean Cody Williams or knecht with the other pick.

Give me Castle + Holland! Shooting be damned (for now). Dillingham + Holland

Russ
05-17-2024, 01:17 PM
1) Risacher
2) Topic
3) Castle

:flag:

The Truth #6
05-17-2024, 01:18 PM
Castle and Knecht I can live with, both are mature and seem like professionals, so to speak.

thOOdee
05-17-2024, 01:19 PM
O god please let this happen!!! Great write up!

ChumpDumper
05-17-2024, 01:24 PM
If the Spurs draft Castle they're going to at least try him at the point; it's inevitable. Castle/Dilly seems kind of underwhelming initially but that's what this draft is. At least they get one guy who can shoot.

spurraider21
05-17-2024, 01:27 PM
Give me Castle + Holland! Shooting be damned (for now). Dillingham + Holland
to me not coming away with one of the kentucky guards is the catastrophic version of this draft. my top combinations are risacher + kentucky guard, or holland + kentucky guard

as chump said, if castle is drafted its going to be for him to run point. at that point i think dillingham makes less sense though, which is why im not keen on this scenario. if they go castle, it makes more logical sense to try to come away with a wing who can shoot or at least as reasonably projectable shooting (knecht, williams... salaun)

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 01:32 PM
If the Spurs draft Castle they're going to at least try him at the point; it's inevitable. Castle/Dilly seems kind of underwhelming initially but that's what this draft is. At least they get one guy who can shoot.

Ya - Im fine with it mostly because they are both highly ranked players anyways and there’s plenty of long term and short term minutes for multiple guards with losing Graham, Cedi and having no real competition with Branham/Blake/Tre long term at this point.

Plus, you are just hoping one of Castle/Dillingham is a star-ish so getting both gives you a chance to hit on one doing that a little better too

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 01:33 PM
to me not coming away with one of the kentucky guards is the catastrophic version of this draft. my top combinations are risacher + kentucky guard, or holland + kentucky guard

as chump said, if castle is drafted its going to be for him to run point. at that point i think dillingham makes less sense though, which is why im not keen on this scenario. if they go castle, it makes more logical sense to try to come away with a wing who can shoot or at least as reasonably projectable shooting (knecht, williams... salaun)

Agree on the shooting, but I like Castle and Holland upside enough to over look that and try to solve it elsewhere short term while hoping one or both of them figure out their shooting

Russ
05-17-2024, 01:42 PM
All this roster construction talk seems a bit premature.

Like talking about adultery when you're trying to get a first date.

Just get some basketball players, some building blocks, and only then start thinking about roster construction.

FutureMan
Not sure if the Spurs can turn Holland or Castle into the shooters they would have to be to survive on this team. Obviously, I’d be thrilled to be wrong but we just haven’t turned a poor shooter into a great shooter in a while.

mo7888

You have to take Sarr in that scenario.. it also makes it very likely that Sheppard or Dilly is there at #8 along with Salaun, Williams, Knecht, or Holland.

It's not the draft we envisioned, but we could find ourselves looking back and seeing that it's what we needed.

itzsoweezee
05-17-2024, 01:44 PM
Dillingham might be an even worse defender than Trae, and nowhere near Trae’s level on offense (especially not passing-wise). And he’s far from the only shooter in this draft. It would be a big mistake.

The spurs need to use at least one of these picks on a 3&D type big wing.

thOOdee
05-17-2024, 01:44 PM
I know the mindset for many is that spurs need to move quickly on a point and running on an assumption that its now or nothing in terms of picking the RIGHT point guard. But, if dillingham or topic, or even castle dont work out as “the one”, I feel we still have time. So why rush the process and just pick the player with the highest potential. Because at this point all positions are in need. That’s why castle should be our guy. He’s a proven winner.

OldMan88
05-17-2024, 01:52 PM
I think the Spurs have so many holes in the lineup at this stage with so many young, still developing players that they can’t be so myopic in focusing on any positional player in the first round. Especially in this draft class with so many unknown & underdeveloped kids in the draft. I feel they should pick the 2 best players available and only consider their position as a tiebreaker. I think the best way to fill a specific position is by trading for a player with a known & well defined skill set.

John B
05-17-2024, 02:01 PM
I’m okay with Dilly, Vassell and Castle as our 3 guards rotation. I really like Mamu than Sochan at 4, with his size and range not to mention Diaw-esque passing. Dilly, Vassell, Castle, Mamu, Wemby lineup I think competes.

I’m sure Tre starts for now likewise Sochan.

John B
05-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Dillingham might be an even worse defender than Trae, and nowhere near Trae’s level on offense (especially not passing-wise). And he’s far from the only shooter in this draft. It would be a big mistake.

Castle is your best perimeter, point-of-attack in this class. Just need to work on his 3.

Vassell/Castle/Sochan/Wemby are all good help defenders. Dilly will be okay.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 02:15 PM

Okay, we'll let the factory know!

pad300
05-17-2024, 02:22 PM
Castle is your best perimeter, point-of-attack in this class. Just need to work on his 3.

Devin Carter might argue that point, and he has a better 3 pt shot...

baseline bum
05-17-2024, 02:30 PM
Just trade pick 8 + CHA their pick back for pick 6 and you dont have to sweat as much

I know this draft is bad but moving up from 8 to 6 with two second rounders? Why would Charlotte do that just to let the Spurs pick the guy they probably want at 6 in Castle?

Leetonidas
05-17-2024, 02:42 PM
I know this draft is bad but moving up from 8 to 6 with two second rounders? Why would Charlotte do that just to let the Spurs pick the guy they probably want at 6 in Castle?

I imagine the thinking would be to free up the pick for them to trade, since they cannot trade their 2025 1st (not that they'd want to) until it's certain not to convey. But given they suck ass i don't see any reason they'd do that

Raven
05-17-2024, 02:47 PM
think it is all the more likely we get to pick rizz or sarr with the 4.. dream scenario

Mugen
05-17-2024, 02:47 PM
It's annoying because Charlotte would be a playoff team if they were healthy. The East is such shit right now.

Unfortunately, LaMelo is made out of glass like his brother and Mark Williams might not ever play in the league again tbh.

scott
05-17-2024, 02:56 PM
It's annoying because Charlotte would be a playoff team if they were healthy. The East is such shit right now.

Unfortunately, LaMelo is made out of glass like his brother and Mark Williams might not ever play in the league again tbh.

Didn't realize Williams injury was of this severity. Could CHA be in play for Clingan?

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 03:11 PM

I think getting control of their pick for sure is 100% worth moving back 2 spots. 2 2nds to move up 2 spots in this draft seems reasonable to me on its own, but theres added value in guaranteed control a your own pick on top of that. I think CHA pretty easily does this

Not to mention that with LaMelo starting healthy, Miller being a great success and them trying to sign Bridges (who they missed due to suspension) it doesnt seem like they aren’t fighting for playoffs.

TD 21
05-17-2024, 03:12 PM
The doomsday scenario is Castle at 4 and Salaun at 8 (I'm fine with the latter in isolation) and would be typical Spurs.

In dire need of shooting and primary play making and yet consumed with the one guard who offers neither (and is an archetype that has a high bust rate) because they've predetermined they want a big combo guard/small wing who they perceive to fit their ethos at lead guard.

If they're going to do this, then Jones should be traded immediately because Sochan, Castle and him would be untenable and there'd be an even more dire need for a guard with some level of experience who can create and shoot.

spurraider21
05-17-2024, 03:13 PM
think it is all the more likely we get to pick rizz or sarr with the 4.. dream scenario
i'd say there's less than a 1% chance of sarr making it past 2

probably something like a 33% chance of risacher making it to 4

exstatic
05-17-2024, 03:15 PM
I’m okay with Dilly, Vassell and Castle as our 3 guards rotation. I really like Mamu than Sochan at 4, with his size and range not to mention Diaw-esque passing. Dilly, Vassell, Castle, Mamu, Wemby lineup I think competes.

I’m sure Tre starts for now likewise Sochan.

Mamu is REALLY BAD at defense. His defense is like Sochan’s jumper, off axis and frequently off target.

Dverde
05-17-2024, 03:15 PM
I don’t think Castle will make it to #8, Spurs probably would need to take him at 4 if they want him. I could see a team trading up to 6 or 7 to draft him.

exstatic
05-17-2024, 03:20 PM

I would agree with you if there were even one in the lottery range. Unfortunately, this draft, as a whole is 3 OR D. No one seems to have both skills together at a good to very good level.

kobyz
05-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Ending up with Dilli-Vassell-Castle as our 1-3 of the future feel disappointed, too small backcourt for today NBA...

jesterbobman
05-17-2024, 03:31 PM
I get Castle wanting to play PG. It's where he has most value long term if he hits.

He probably signed at UConn thinking he'd be able to play more on ball, then UConn kept Newton and got Cam Spencer, and he fit into an off ball role and defended his ass off. Being able to both be a primary on ball scorer(High school) and be an off ball defensive wing / fitting in as a role player is perfectly fine. Low level outcome is a 3 position defender role player (Tony Allen with less defense and more on ball juice?) high end is Tyreke Evans as a plus defender.

DPG21920
05-17-2024, 03:32 PM
Ending up with Dilli-Vassell-Castle as our 1-3 of the future feel disappointed, too small backcourt for today NBA...

Castle has tremendous size for a PG..

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 03:32 PM

It's either that or draft the tall players who don't know how to play. We can always have Kalel Ware at point. We can also just forfeit the draft picks.

rjv
05-17-2024, 03:45 PM
Didn't realize Williams injury was of this severity. Could CHA be in play for Clingan?

still don't know how bad his back is; he claims he'll be ready to play "every game" next season and there is no surgery required. all i ever heard was that it was a back contusion.

kobyz
05-17-2024, 03:45 PM
It's either that or draft the tall players who don't know how to play. We can always have Kalel Ware at point. We can also just forfeit the draft picks.

I think there are more scenarios...

Obstructed_View
05-17-2024, 03:51 PM
I would agree with you if there were even one in the lottery range. Unfortunately, this draft, as a whole is 3 OR D. No one seems to have both skills together at a good to very good level.
And with 4 and 8 I keep thinking you don't go for a role player, you take two shots at a star player. Wesley and Samanic were unsuccessful shots. Keep trying. Fill out role players from the free agent market or the G league.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 03:53 PM

It's hard to get a sense of what Hornets fans want/expect. New GM, but they're optimistic. Most of them picked Scoot over Miller, so I guess they're wait and see.

Generally seeing Williams-Holland-Castle. Fans are prioritizing a wing.

Castle's comments about wanting to play point - whether that's anything to take too seriously - could apply to Charlotte most of all.

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 03:54 PM
And with 4 and 8 I keep thinking you don't go for a role player, you take two shots at a star player. Wesley and Samanic were unsuccessful shots. Keep trying. Fill out role players from the free agent market or the G league.

Let us know who the star players are at 4 and 8.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2024, 04:09 PM
Are you suggesting that no star player has ever been drafted at 4 or 8? You must be retarded. "Taking a shot" doesn't mean "I have a crystal ball", it just means don't take a safe role player with a low ceiling.

mo7888
05-17-2024, 04:45 PM

Or 1 for that matter..

Mugen
05-17-2024, 04:55 PM

Definitely but I think Sheppard and Castle would be much higher on their board over Clingan.

BackHome
05-17-2024, 04:56 PM
If we can replace talent wise our 4th and 5th best player I would score this an A- for this draft and to replace our 3rd and 4th best player we would have probably the best draft of all teams for this year.

Mugen
05-17-2024, 04:57 PM
still don't know how bad his back is; he claims he'll be ready to play "every game" next season and there is no surgery required. all i ever heard was that it was a back contusion.

A 7 footer with back injuries this young and has already missed 100+ games in his first 2 seasons is a major, major red flag. I hope he makes a miraculously recovery because CHA is actually pretty decent with him but wouldn't hold my breath.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2024, 05:01 PM
After watching hella scouting reports I remain on my top 2, Risacher and Dillingham is the ideal scenario

Mugen
05-17-2024, 05:02 PM
I'd be much, much more inclined to trade down in this draft than to trade up. There isn't anybody I think worth trading up for tbh.

But I bet the Grizzlies would call about #4 if Clingan is still there. Or the Blazers about #8 about Salaun.

If they can extract a lightly protected another '25 pick and still be in the lottery, I'd be all over that tbh.

Knoxxx
05-17-2024, 05:02 PM
At #4 i have conflict between Castle and Cody Williams, and at #8 i want Saluan but i doubt he stay till then

These are good conflicts since none of us can hardly decide who our top 8 or 10 players actually are, depending on what side of the bed we wake up on.

spurraider21
05-17-2024, 05:07 PM
After watching hella scouting reports I remain on my top 2, Risacher and Dillingham is the ideal scenario
Mr. Body:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/vk7VesvyZEwuI/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952nvlqmza54emnlz0zr4vbz90snm57v dj870pl3xt9&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

z0sa
05-17-2024, 05:07 PM
Castle makes a lot of sense, having played with Clingan (and therefore, being used to getting the rock to the big man in his spots) and having a great overall BBIQ and motor/hustle. The problem is shooting - we need someone to make defenses who literally triple and soft quadruple team Wemby pay. Be it via passing, driving and finishing, or simply just shooting every open look they get with confidence. It's too bad this draft is pretty trash.

CGD
05-17-2024, 05:17 PM
Castle makes a lot of sense, having played with Clingan (and therefore, being used to getting the rock to the big man in his spots) and having a great overall BBIQ and motor/hustle. The problem is shooting - we need someone to make defenses who literally triple and soft quadruple team Wemby pay. Be it via passing, driving and finishing, or simply just shooting every open look they get with confidence. It's too bad this draft is pretty trash.

Castle has all the intangibles, and my pick as the “pg selection.” It’s OK for him to take time to develop guys. Some folks are expecting these picks to be day one starters, which is far from what will happen.

We all need to be comfortable with another year of Tre Jones starting (unless to trade for an established PG like Murray or Garland). This will be the case whether it’s Dillingham who will need to up his weight (162 lbs ffs!!), Castle/Topic who need to work on their shots, and Reed who isn’t a natural PG.

CGD
05-17-2024, 05:21 PM
It's hard to get a sense of what Hornets fans want/expect. New GM, but they're optimistic. Most of them picked Scoot over Miller, so I guess they're wait and see.

Castle's comments about wanting to play point - whether that's anything to take too seriously - could apply to Charlotte most of all.

Useful insight. Most of the mocks suggest Castle to them, but having moved on from PJ Washington wonder if they see Holland as a PF replacement.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2024, 05:23 PM
I understand why people are high on Castle, since he has a complete game if he can develop his 3-point shot, which is not far fetched. But I want elite speed and off the dribble shooting at the 1. We need rim pressure more than anything and Castle ain't the guy for that. That's why Dillingham is ideal in my opinion. And I also want one of the 6'10'' forwards, since having that length out there with Wemby, Sochan and Devin would be very scary for opponents and said player could actually mask some of Zach Collins' awful rim protection. We all know that with his contract, Pop will absolutely keep playing him to justify it.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-17-2024, 05:32 PM
I understand why people are high on Castle, since he has a complete game if he can develop his 3-point shot, which is not far fetched. But I want elite speed and off the dribble shooting at the 1. We need rim pressure more than anything and Castle ain't the guy for that. That's why Dillingham is ideal in my opinion. And I also want one of the 6'10'' forwards, since having that length out there with Wemby, Sochan and Devin would be very scary for opponents and said player could actually mask some of Zach Collins' awful rim protection. We all know that with his contract, Pop will absolutely keep playing him to justify it.

Combine reports said that he was really shooting the ball well in drills.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2024, 05:48 PM
Combine reports said that he was really shooting the ball well in drills.

on 30 shots in a gym without a defender anywhere close to him. We are talking about the NBA. His college tape says he doesn't shoot it well enough and even if he did, that doesn't mean he can do it off the dribble.

rascal
05-17-2024, 06:05 PM

Indirectly saying he isn't interested in playing for Charlotte.

JuneJive
05-17-2024, 06:12 PM
With so many unknown, low ceiling prospects, one could say there won't be an outcome generally disliked, but I guess not.

rascal
05-17-2024, 06:19 PM
on 30 shots in a gym without a defender anywhere close to him. We are talking about the NBA. His college tape says he doesn't shoot it well enough and even if he did, that doesn't mean he can do it off the dribble.

Castle didn't shoot the ball that often at UCONN. His game was held back some as UCONN played a team concept and he bought into team success over big scoring stats.

Only took 75 3 point shots in 34 games. Only made 20. UCONN played a team concept and didn't rely on anyone taking a ton of shots. His overall FG% is good just needs work on his distance shooting.

Writing Castle off as a bad shooter is premature. His form looks good in the combine shooting. Castle is a hard worker as evidenced by how hard he works defensely on the court so I expect him to improve in 3 pt %.

Raven
05-17-2024, 06:44 PM
surprised there is no buzz for clingan to atlanta.. he may be an easier fit tbh. While i think Sarr is the most intriguing talent of the draft, he'd probably get punked by clingan and both are just as inept on the offensive side. Still think one of sarr and zach will drop to us.

mo7888
05-17-2024, 06:54 PM
Castle didn't shoot the ball that often at UCONN. His game was held back some as UCONN played a team concept and he bought into team success over big scoring stats.

Only took 75 3 point shots in 34 games. Only made 20. UCONN played a team concept and didn't rely on anyone taking a ton of shots. His overall FG% is good just needs work on his distance shooting.

Writing Castle off as a bad shooter is premature. His form looks good in the combine shooting. Castle is a hard worker as evidenced by how hard he works defensely on the court so I expect him to improve in 3 pt %.

I don't think anyone should write off his shooting either. His shot isn't broken. For me it's about where you take him and his relative value to other prospects. Buzelis is at the top of my Spurs board, but he doesn't fit as well with Castle. I'd rather pair Risacher or Williams (maybe even Salaun) with him than Buzelis. My opinion on that has to do with having a Castle, Sochan, Buzelis SL. If we moved Sochan I'd feel better about a Buzelis-Castle pairing.

If we go with two guards my favorite pairing is Castle-Sheppard. I think they would mesh very well.

objective
05-17-2024, 07:05 PM
Even though I'm team Sheppard, I have come around to the DillingFAM.

I'd be happy with either Shepperd or Dillingham, though I'd still prefer Shepperd.

But

It has me worried that the Wizards could screw this up. If things go 1. Sarr 2. Dillingham 3. Shepperd in order I'm going to be very annoyed

poopbox
05-17-2024, 07:19 PM
Not sure how you have the Rockets taking Risacher at 3. That means that they just plan to move on from one of Jabari, Eason, Amen, or Whitmore. If they did take Risacher at 3 I'd be on the phone with them everyday about a deal for Jabari until it got done.

If Dilli is gone I wouldn't mind Castle at 4. We need a real SF. We don't remotely have one on this team.

I actually think it plays out opposite. They take Dilli at 4 and Castle at 8

rascal
05-17-2024, 07:29 PM
I don't think anyone should write off his shooting either. His shot isn't broken. For me it's about where you take him and his relative value to other prospects. Buzelis is at the top of my Spurs board, but he doesn't fit as well with Castle. I'd rather pair Risacher or Williams (maybe even Salaun) with him than Buzelis. My opinion on that has to do with having a Castle, Sochan, Buzelis SL. If we moved Sochan I'd feel better about a Buzelis-Castle pairing.

If we go with two guards my favorite pairing is Castle-Sheppard. I think they would mesh very well.

You can't look at this as a one year build. Next year the Spurs will be drafting two or more first rounders. That's where they will be fitting the team together more. The Spurs will not have a complete team without weaknesses going into next year because they need upgrades in many areas.

mo7888
05-17-2024, 09:02 PM
You can't look at this as a one year build. Next year the Spurs will be drafting two or more first rounders. That's where they will be fitting the team together more. The Spurs will not have a complete team without weaknesses going into next year because they need upgrades in many areas.

I'm not suggesting throwing BPA out the windows. I break things down into tiers and if I have two in the same tier then i consider fit. For instance, I have Sheppard and Castle in the same tier, so of both are on the board my choice would come down to fit/possible future moves etc..

Mr. Body
05-17-2024, 09:04 PM
This draft is much more fun with the Toronto pick.

Eaglenole2002
05-17-2024, 09:32 PM
This draft is much more fun with the Toronto pick.
No kidding. Imagine if we were sitting at just pick 7 or something. There’d be no juice at all.

KobesAchilles
05-17-2024, 11:20 PM
If we draft Castle and Dilly then we should trade Devin. It’s that simple.

If we draft Castle at 4 then it should be for him to play PG. We don’t need a Dilly at 8. And if Holland is available at 8 then you pick him and don’t ask questions.

rascal
05-17-2024, 11:36 PM
If we draft Castle and Dilly then we should trade Devin. It’s that simple.

If we draft Castle at 4 then it should be for him to play PG. We don’t need a Dilly at 8. And if Holland is available at 8 then you pick him and don’t ask questions.

Three solid guards can work in a rotation with one Castle being able to play the 1 or 2. They need to move away from Jones.

1-Dillingham/Topic 2- Castle
1- Dillingham/Topic 2- Vassell
1- Castle 2- Vassell

These lineups or switch Dillingham with Topic if need more playmaking.

Yes Topic and Castle will need to improve 3 pt shooting to get max results but get a couple of shooters to come off the bench.

BackHome
05-18-2024, 12:21 AM
Three solid guards can work in a rotation with one Castle being able to play the 1 or 2. They need to move away from Jones.

1-Dillingham/Topic 2- Castle
1- Dillingham/Topic 2- Vassell
1- Castle 2- Vassell

These lineups or switch Dillingham with Topic if need more playmaking.

Yes Topic and Castle will need to improve 3 pt shooting to get max results but get a couple of shooters to come off the bench.

There are a couple of shooters who I think would be good pickups in the second round.

1. Baylor Scheierman SF - 6'75 - 3P% -.381, FT% - .876
2. Payton Sandfort SF -6.7 - 3P% - .379, FT% - .911
3. Hunter Salis PG/SG - 6'4 - 3P% - .405, FT% - .783

BackHome
05-18-2024, 01:11 AM

It was funny he diid a Pod Cast and they asked him to describe his game and he said “Good overall player who sometimes plays defense” they people interviewing him laughed and he said “I am not going to lie but I play defense when it counts” I have to say I enjoy his honesty

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 04:34 AM
Still adamant the Spurs should trade both picks, but after delving deeper I like the idea of drafting Sheppard or Dillingham tbh. Team needs shooting badly. Only way I'd even consider Castle is if they're confident he can become a decent shooter.

Bruno
05-18-2024, 05:31 AM
My current mock draft:

1) Hawks: Sarr
2) Wizards: Clingan
3) Rockets: Sheppard
4) Spurs: Risacher
5) Pistons: Buzelis
6) Hornets: Castle
7) Blazers: Holland
8) Spurs: Dillingham
9) Grizzlies: Cody Williams
10) Jazz: Topic
11) Bulls: Salaün
12) Thunder: Knecht

tbdog
05-18-2024, 06:03 AM
Realistically, would any of these players the spurs draft in this mock, start?

cjw
05-18-2024, 06:04 AM
You draft best player available unless there is obvious positional clash (e.g., you trade out of the BPA is a center if you’re set there, or if it’s a short PG if you already have one). And that is ONLY if the guy blocking them is a keeper.

Beyond Wemby, only Vassel and Sochan are building blocks and neither precludes you from taking anyone.

Whatever the team doesn’t get in the draft can be filled later via trade or FA. Don’t waste a pick by reaching because of positional need. You can turn into the Wolves drafting two PG not named Curry.

If the Spurs are high on both Shepherd and Dillingham, and both are there at 4, you SHOULD have pre-wired trades with the teams between you and 8 if your board shows that you absolutely have to have one and there is a drop off otherwise.

mystargtr34
05-18-2024, 06:06 AM
Bruno I have to say my mock draft right now is EXACTLY the same as yours. I feel like this mock is the closest one to each team picking BPA while also drafting for need.

To round out the lottery I would expect.

13. Kings - Filipowski
14. Blazers - Yves Missi

exstatic
05-18-2024, 06:20 AM

Very few, if any, will even contribute to any of the drafting teams this year.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2024, 07:16 AM
My current mock draft:

perfect scenario in my book

jeebus
05-18-2024, 07:17 AM

You never know, a Tony Parker/Antonio Daniels situation could happen.

bevo
05-18-2024, 07:55 AM
I like Sheppard over Dillangham. Reed has a higher bb IQ. Dilly had apparently said during the combine that he struggled understanding game plans, reads, et al.

tbdog
05-18-2024, 08:04 AM
Just on scout reports alone, as I don't watch non nba basketball, Castle is the safest bet and should get a NBA career. Brandon Roy, Marcus Smart, Tony Allen, Derrick White. But if his guard skills don't translate, then you're stuck with a Bruce Brown type of player.

Buzelis seems like the biggest swing, hit or miss type of player. Just an intriguing skillet in that body. Just some of those skills translate, he could be the best player of the draft. Of course, he could be like many of those intriguing big euro players that never play meaningful minutes in the NBA.

rascal
05-18-2024, 08:31 AM
There are a couple of shooters who I think would be good pickups in the second round.

1. Baylor Scheierman SF - 6'75 - 3P% -.381, FT% - .876
2. Payton Sandfort SF -6.7 - 3P% - .379, FT% - .911
3. Hunter Salis PG/SG - 6'4 - 3P% - .405, FT% - .783

You can find shooting to add to the roster.

Dejounte
05-18-2024, 08:34 AM
4 - Sheppard
8 - Holland

is what I’m hoping for at the moment. Different from yesterday. Will probably be different tomorrow, tbh.

Sheppard/ Tre/ Wesley
Vassell/ Branham/ Duke Jr.
Holland/ Julian
Sochan/ Mamu/ Cissoko
Wemby/ Barlow

mo7888
05-18-2024, 09:46 AM
My current mock draft:

That looks logical to me. I think at 4 Risacher, Buzelis, and Castle will be considered heavily and at 8 your 8-12 will all be considered heavily.

The thing that concerns me as far as shaking thing up is if, for some reason, Atlanta doesn't go with Sarr.

CGD
05-18-2024, 09:53 AM
That looks logical to me. I think at 4 Risacher, Buzelis, and Castle will be considered heavily and at 8 your 8-12 will all be considered heavily.

The thing that concerns me as far as shaking thing up is if, for some reason, Atlanta doesn't go with Sarr.

If Sarr doesn’t go one, but instead 2, that probably means Clingan will be there at 4 and ZR won’t be. That opens up a lot of interesting trade opportunities. Portland and Memphis said to be hot for Clingan. What would they give?

mo7888
05-18-2024, 10:14 AM
If Sarr doesn’t go one, but instead 2, that probably means Clingan will be there at 4 and ZR won’t be. That opens up a lot of interesting trade opportunities. Portland and Memphis said to be hot for Clingan. What would they give?

Portland would offer 7 and 14. Memphis would have to offer a future 1st + 9, but I'm not sure that's enough. Now if Charlotte wants a big it he's real interesting. They could offer 6 plus changing protection/ length on the pick they owe us.

TD 21
05-18-2024, 10:15 AM
I know it's SpursTalk tradition to slurp everything Bruno says, but there's no reason to think Risacher will be available at 4 or the Spurs will select Dillingham.

You can find shooting to add to the roster.

It has to come from core players who either aren't defensive liabilities or are stars offensively to offset it or it's meaningless as we've seen here for years with the likes of Mills, Forbes, Belinelli, McDermott playing outsized roles.

Knoxxx
05-18-2024, 10:33 AM

Yeah like we need a better rebounding PF/C.

Mr. Body
05-18-2024, 10:41 AM
My current mock draft:

Some of these crackhead franchises appear to have pretty good front offices right now. We're in a world where Washington and Charlotte may have their shit together. Unsure I can say the same about Detroit, although their drafting is pretty good.

Of the first seven, I don't think Charlotte will go Castle. Strange to see him slip (if so), but it's one of those drafts. Hornets take Holland, as they may lose Bridges. Castle may be smart for Portland, then.

Chicago... have more immediate needs than a project, but who knows.

OKC... Knecht seems like a non-Thunder player, but who knows. Need size who can fit their system. Filipowski? I think Buzelis could really appeal to them and could go up and get him.

Raven
05-18-2024, 10:46 AM
Still adamant the Spurs should trade both picks, but after delving deeper I like the idea of drafting Sheppard or Dillingham tbh. Team needs shooting badly. Only way I'd even consider Castle is if they're confident he can become a decent shooter.

why do people keep saying that...

CGD
05-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Portland would offer 7 and 14. Memphis would have to offer a future 1st + 9, but I'm not sure that's enough. Now if Charlotte wants a big it he's real interesting. They could offer 6 plus changing protection/ length on the pick they owe us.

Not sure how the Spurs see Matas at 4, but that Portland deal looks appealing since the PGs will be there at 7, 8. But my preference would be working something out with CHA as you suggest.

mo7888
05-18-2024, 10:55 AM
Not sure how the Spurs see Matas at 4, but that Portland deal looks appealing since the PGs will be there at 7, 8. But my preference would be working something out with CHA as you suggest.

Matas is at the top of my Spurs board. If I did the Portland deal (assuming Atlanta shaking up the top 3 and Clingan falling to 4), I might also try to trade 8 + Cha pick back to Charlotte for #6 (credit to DPG), thereby giving us 6 & 7 + 14.

NASpurs
05-18-2024, 11:07 AM
I like Sheppard over Dillangham. Reed has a higher bb IQ. Dilly had apparently said during the combine that he struggled understanding game plans, reads, et al.

Too many Neanderthals on this team. I wouldn't mind having someone with actual bbiq

Mr. Body
05-18-2024, 11:31 AM

I think you mean the 4:40 spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SOz3uBaE0

It's hard to unpack what he's saying and I hope teams are questioning him about this. The Wildcats were a mess on defense this year, leading to their quick end in the tournament, and some of the problems I saw even with Reed, a better natural defender, appeared to stem from this. Calipari had both Reed and Rob guarding lead ballhandlers way too high and too close. They both got blown by. The only thing I could figure was he wanted to usher them toward shot blockers, but... there's no reason to pick up that high and close.

A bit of clear honesty here from him. I do wonder how well he can be coached up. As I've said before, he's like an offensive savant to me. His decisions and attacks are so immediate and spontaneous. He's like in the LaMello mold, where he's often not running any plays, he's just insta-reacting to what's present in front of him, and is very good at it. Doncic is this way, too. Just go out there and be effective. Now, lingering in the back of my mind is how much Dillingham can actually adhere to play-calls, be patient, be part of more complex sets. He certainly can to some degree - he did at Kentucky - but if that's just not the player he is, then he either can't work on the Spurs or can only come off the bench.

On defense, anyway, I don't know if he can keep up with the complex schemes the Spurs have. As natural as he is on offense, can he make key, constant reads on defense? It's not a matter of dying on screens or messing up positioning. He actually has the quickness to be okay in those regards. His size will be a problem on switches, but won't be much more of a problem than Sheppard or Tre or any other tiny guard in the league. It's a matter of how complex and ingrained his reacts can become when not simply a positional defender.

Gandalf
05-18-2024, 11:46 AM
If Dillingham’s an offensive savant, won’t that compensate for ‘issues’ with sets? Battle/set plans often go out the window as soon as any variables kick in. And I doubt he’d struggle with a few set plays too much, even if it takes him a year or two to assimilate (like most Spurs players).

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 11:54 AM

Because they do?

Mr. Body
05-18-2024, 11:55 AM
If Dillingham’s an offensive savant, won’t that compensate for ‘issues’ with sets? Battle/set plans often go out the window as soon as any variables kick in. And I doubt he’d struggle with a few set plays too much, even if it takes him a year or two to assimilate (like most Spurs players).

No, because he's just always improvising. Most NBA teams often just hand the ball to their best offensive player and run screens for them or let them cook. The Spurs are more complex (or Warriors, etc.). You want to get the best shots in the best places and improvise only when things break down or an advantage is clear. Also, if you're dependent on a superior player or two running the show, they have to be really superior in the POs or it gets predictable. If they take away their preferences and they're done. It works if you're a Luka Doncic. It doesn't if you're Trae Young.

However, that's really a lower-end outcome for him on offense. He wasn't supposed to be able to play sets coming into college and he fit in at Kentucky.

exstatic
05-18-2024, 11:57 AM

Because we were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league? 28th out of 30 in 3G%.

Raven
05-18-2024, 11:59 AM
Because they do?

we just did our utmost to get rid of mcdermott and can't wait to get rid of cedi, why would we try to add another useless shooter? We need someone who can score around the rim off the dribbling who is a great passer.. we don't have teams camping in the paint because we can't make an open 3...

exstatic
05-18-2024, 12:11 PM
we just did our utmost to get rid of mcdermott and can't wait to get rid of cedi, why would we try to add another useless shooter? We need someone who can score around the rim off the dribbling who is a great passer.. we don't have teams camping in the paint because we can't make an open 3...

To be clear,we don’t t want a specialist like McD. Most here want a. 3&D guy, or a creator who can shoot. If I’m explaining this like you’re 5, you obviously need it.

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 12:17 PM

McDermott is one of the worst defenders in the league while being north of 30. Sheppard projects to potentially be a good to great defender (don't think his elite defense at the collegiate level translates but he won't be a liability) with obvious shooting strengths and possibily untapped talent.

Raven
05-18-2024, 12:28 PM
McDermott is one of the worst defenders in the league while being north of 30. Sheppard projects to potentially be a good to great defender (don't think his elite defense at the collegiate level translates but he won't be a liability) with obvious shooting strengths and possibily untapped talent.
he has dogshit wingspan

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 12:35 PM
he has dogshit wingspan

As long as he isn't a defensive liability tbh.

Dejounte
05-18-2024, 12:38 PM
McDermott was kicked off the team not because he was a bad defender, but because he didn’t provide anything else on offense. It’s why I’m skeptical of the Spurs going for this type.

Mr. Body
05-18-2024, 12:42 PM
McDermott was kicked off the team not because he was a bad defender, but because he didn’t provide anything else on offense. It’s why I’m skeptical of the Spurs going for this type.

Eh, he was moved because he was a good soldier who wasn't going to resign here. They moved him to a playoff team and got something for it.

But yes, there was a period the Spurs went hard for shooters -- McDermott, Forbes, Wieskampf. And the fan base still bitches about it to this day.

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 12:50 PM
Again, I'd much rather the Spurs trade both picks. There's no one in this draft in the top 10 worth it imo.

scott
05-18-2024, 01:01 PM

I think Risacher, Buzelis and maybe Holland could each be Day 1 starters at SF, with a big part of that being the fact we're so weak there.

rascal
05-18-2024, 01:04 PM
Spurs need to add team athleticism. I watch the playoff teams and they have elite athleticism as compared to the Spurs, and can get the ball down court and score quickly.

Spurs can't even run an effective fast break most of the time. They pull up for a perimeter shot on a fast break.
They have no one other than Wemby, because of his size, who can create a shot at the rim and beat their man to the basket.

John B
05-18-2024, 01:05 PM
Eh, he was moved because he was a good soldier who wasn't going to resign here. They moved him to a playoff team and got something for it.

But yes, there was a period the Spurs went hard for shooters -- McDermott, Forbes, Wieskampf. And the fan base still bitches about it to this day.

There’s always room for those shooters in championship teams, Bonner, Mills, Belli, Neal. Forbes was just in the wrong time, but he too would’ve worked during the Big 3. And I agree, McD was not kicked off. He was a good soldier and was traded to a good team for some chips, as what the Spurs do.

Mr. Body
05-18-2024, 01:05 PM
Again, I'd much rather the Spurs trade both picks. There's no one in this draft in the top 10 worth it imo.

"These picks are worthless. Someone will want to trade for them."

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 01:12 PM
"These picks are worthless. Someone will want to trade for them."

Didn't say they were worthless. It's a role player draft; playoff teams will be interested in moving up imo. For instance, could see Memphis wanting to move up for Clingan. Only question is if the Spurs are willing to strengthen a possible long-term rival.

BackHome
05-18-2024, 02:13 PM

Damn, I think I would have to heavily consider those offers

Splits
05-18-2024, 02:26 PM
I think Risacher, Buzelis and maybe Holland could each be Day 1 starters at SF, with a big part of that being the fact we're so weak there.

Add Knecht to that list, he's basically a veteran compared to 1/2 our current roster

ChumpDumper
05-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Add Knecht to that list, he's basically a veteran compared to 1/2 our current roster

I think he's the only one who could hit 1/3 of his threes and possibly displace Champagnie early.

BackHome
05-18-2024, 02:47 PM

With MO suggestion and your suggestion:

1.Spurs trade 4th pick to Portland for there 7th and 14th pick -
2.Spurs trade 14th pick to New York for there 24th and 25th pick

With the first trade you could get something like:
* Castle
* Sheppard
* Salaun

With both trades you could get something like:
*Castle
*Holland
*Yves Missi/George
*Furphy

ChumpDumper
05-18-2024, 02:52 PM

* Castle
* Sheppard
* Salaun

*Castle
*Holland
*Yves Missi/George
*Furphy

:lol who wants that many picks in this draft?

BackHome
05-18-2024, 02:58 PM
Me :flag:.......To be honest just throwing stuff out there but we probably draft foreign stash players in second round so with first trade that just gives us 3 players and Salaun we can stash?

Robz4000
05-18-2024, 02:59 PM

* Castle
* Sheppard
* Salaun

*Castle
*Holland
*Yves Missi/George
*Furphy

Would rather acquire future draft capital or a younger vet tbh.

baseline bum
05-18-2024, 03:16 PM

I'd rather make the picks, as they would have pretty minimal trade value when GMs are telling Russillo the Atlanta pick would only get you a guy like Lu Dort in trade.

CGD
05-18-2024, 03:37 PM
I'd rather make the picks, as they would have pretty minimal trade value when GMs are telling Russillo the Atlanta pick would only get you a guy like Lu Dort in trade.

Absolutely make the picks. Even the boring (but likely) Risacher/Topic selections help the team a lot.

T Park
05-18-2024, 11:16 PM

Between that and “people hate playing with Tre Young”

Made the podcast this week super interesting

Ef-man
05-18-2024, 11:43 PM
:lol who wants that many picks in this draft?

Trying to corner the market of 2nd round picks to stash and never play?

Sounds like a solid plan :lol

Big Empty
05-19-2024, 10:56 AM
Dilly’s quickness can break down a defense, has Kyrie handles and can create & score at will. With the pg being a huge hole, the Spurs arent going to pass on this opportunity. I think the perimenter defender project will still be there at 8. I dont think Dilly will be there at 4, but Reed isnt a bad pick at 4 i just think Dilly is more electrifying and why Houston will take him over Reed

Ariel
05-19-2024, 05:20 PM
Dilly’s quickness can break down a defense, has Kyrie handles and can create & score at will. With the pg being a huge hole, the Spurs arent going to pass on this opportunity. I think the perimenter defender project will still be there at 8. I dont think Dilly will be there at 4, but Reed isnt a bad pick at 4 i just think Dilly is more electrifying and why Houston will take him over Reed
Houston goes for potential and size, and with Ime at the helm they've prioritized defense and need shooting, so I think Sheppard makes the most sense, but wouldn't be shocked if they take Risacher either despite the wing logjam. Clingan could be another option, but if that's their choice they probably trade down. Sadly I think Dillingham will be there at 8 and the Spurs will pass. Hopefully I'm wrong.

C-Dub
05-19-2024, 05:56 PM
4th pick - Castle
8th pick - Salaun

After this coming season when Blake Wesley contract expires, he will not be resigned by the Spurs. Sochan will eventually be a 6th man for the Spurs and KJ, I hate to say will eventually most likely get traded.

SpursGenius
05-19-2024, 06:34 PM
4th pick - Castle
8th pick - Salaun

After this coming season when Blake Wesley contract expires, he will not be resigned by the Spurs. Sochan will eventually be a 6th man for the Spurs and KJ, I hate to say will eventually most likely get traded.

Those are my two picks would be a coup. Also wont be sad to see KJ go. Dude is a turnover machine on dribble drive into paint and horrible shooter for guard. While at it Get rid of no interior defense 7 footer trash white boy who regularly gets postered (Collins).

Trade KJ, Collins, and two second rounders and get 15 then pick pitt PG or providence PG