PDA

View Full Version : Ian a French All Star

TheTruth
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120605.5D.BKNspurs.notebook.ginobili.da1c5e8.h tml

Draft pick a French All-Star: Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' first-round pick in the 2005 NBA Draft, was selected Monday to play in the French League All-Star Game on Dec. 18.

What kind of numbers is he putting up? Have any of our French posters been able to see much of him?

sorry if this was already posted

Brutalis
12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
I'd like to know myself. Seems like Spurs got a farm system over there.

mathbzh
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
After 12 games Ian has 10 points and 6 rebonds in 20 minutes.
His playing time was limited in the early season due to foul troubles.

His best game is:
17 pts 13 rbds in 27 minutes.

He is 13 in the league in individual rating/minute (I don't know the used formula).

Be carefull when you analyse these numbers. In France the total playing time is shorter and teams score less that in NBA.

Le havre (Ian's team) averages 77 pts and 33 rbds a game. So far Le Havre is 10/18 in the French league with 6W/6L.

Solid D
12-06-2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=FRA&Team=869

http://www.basketinfo.com/club.php?no_club=109

Solid D
12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
La Havre site lists Ian at 6'9" 225 lbs. (206 cm, 102 kg)

genghisrex
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Wasn't there an article over the summer saying that Ian had grown an inch or so (to 6'10 or maybe even 6'11)?

MI21
12-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Wasn't there an article over the summer saying that Ian had grown an inch or so (to 6'10 or maybe even 6'11)?

I am pretty sure you are correct G-Rex, I recall something similar being written too.

Bruno
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
La Havre site lists Ian at 6'9" 225 lbs. (206 cm, 102 kg)

It's not Le Havre site. He has grew up since, it's not up to date.
Ian say he is 2m08 high. It's exactly 6'10".
With shoes, he is 6'11". (most of time nba guys are listed with shoes)

genghisrex
12-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Bruno. Do you know what his wingspan is?

MI21
12-06-2005, 10:29 AM

Had a quick search of the forum..

Not exactly an official listing from a website, but JUUOT always tells the truth, we remember the Parker Re-Signing dealy :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26060&highlight=Mahinmi+Height

I have the stats at work so i can give more details but Ian is shooting a really good percentage in pre season: between 55and 60%
he was cut to the eyebrows in a rough contact at the begining of september but came back strong. It seems he has recovered from ankles that bother him at the U-20 championship and he worked with spurs shooting coach during summer.
if his rate of progress is the same as last year and he keeps growing up (he is a full 6-11 now) he could be the surprise next summer joining the spurs.
"le havre basket" website is one of the best in france and they post video. as soon as they say something on Ian you can count on bruno or me to post it.

Bruno
12-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks, Bruno. Do you know what his wingspan is?
No idea.
I can post some pictures of him if you want to have an idea about it, his arms seem quite long.

JUUOT
12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Bruno is right onwith the 6'10" without 6'11" with shoes, Ian said it himself at the TP show on the radio earlier this year.
Concerning his numbers, he is getting a tiny bit more consistent. His team is on a losing streak however lost 4 out of 5. He is trying to take his responsability and is one of the best scorer lately on his team. He should be able to take more rebounds given his size. it's a work in progress and being at the allstar is deserved and a good step forward. it will be this summer or next but Ian is coming.

Solid D
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Sorry about that, not La Havre site (Basketinfo site). It was linked from Eurobasket and I should have paid better attention to the URL. I do remember Bruno's post earlier.

Here is a link to who made the All-Star team with Ian with translation. There is the French group, then the "foreign" group. The starters don't have much size.

http://www.sport.fr/basket/bas/Selections-pour-le-All-Star-Games-47965.shtm

Selections for All Games Star

Tuesday December 6, 2005
Composition of the selections French and foreign for All Star Games 2005, Sunday December 18 with the General sports Palate of Paris-Bercy:

French selection

Five major:
Yohann Sangaré (Villeurbanne/meneur)
Babacar Cissé (Havre/meneur)
Maxime Zianveni (Nancy/ailier)
Victor Samnick (Paris BR/ailier)
Amara Sy (Villeurbanne/ailier)

Substitutes:
Pope Philippe Amagou (Mans/meneur)
Yakhouba Diawara (Dijon/ailier)
Mamoutou Diarra (Chalon/ailier)
Thomas Dubiez (Gravelines/arrière)
Cyril Julian (Nancy/intérieur)
Claude Marquis (Cholet/intérieur)
Ian Mahinmi (Havre/intérieur)
Trainer: Didier Gadou (Pau-Orthez)
Assistant: John Douaglin (Boulazac/ProB)

Foreign selection

Five major:
Tyson Wheeler (Gravelines/meneur)
Jason Rowe (Hyères-Toulon/meneur)
C.C. Harrison (Pau-Orthez/arrière)
Lamayn Wilson (Cholet/ailier strong)
Mario Benett (Dijon/ailier strong)

Substitutes:
Lonnie Cooper (USA/Pau-Orthez/meneur)
John Linehan (USA/Paris BR/arrière)
Ricardo Greer (DOM/Strasbourg/arrière)
Michael Bauer (USA/Roanne/ailier strong)
K' Zell Wesson (USA/Strasbourg/intérieur)
Kelvin Torbert (USA/Bourg/ailier)
Huseyn Besök (TUR/Le Mans/intérieur)
Trainer: Claude Bergeaud (FRA/Villeurbanne)
Assistant: Germain Castano (Besançon/ProB)

Bruno
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
No Problem, Solid.
The name of the city is Le Havre not La Havre.
For the size, there are a lot of 6'7"/6'8"/6'9"C in France. When you are bigger, even if you are average, you play in nba or in Spain/greece/Italy.
If Sharrod Ford was 2 or 3 inch bigger, he will be drafted this year : it's not always a question of talent. The best example is Udonis haslem who plays a season in France.

You can notice too that T.J. Parker (brother of Tony) will participate to the skills contest.

Solid D
12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
:lol Le Havre. A made an A in French, too.

wildbill2u
12-06-2005, 11:21 AM
He's very young so this progress is good. I hope we all realize he may not make it to the Spurs roster for some time.

T Park
12-06-2005, 01:55 PM
yeah he wont be here for another 4 years

hell be a whopping 23 and Tony Parker will be 26 27.

So far, he seems like hes an extremely young Nazr Mohammed.

Rebounds, long reach, 6 10, has trouble with fouls and defense.

MiNuS
12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
this is as worthless an all-star as saying Eduardo Najera is the MVP of the MNBA.
(Mexican National Basketball Association).

If life is cyclical like I know it is then in 08 or 09 we should get another #1 lottery pick to replace Duncan.Otherwise fo'git aboout 't.

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 02:15 PM
yeah he wont be here for another 4 years

hell be a whopping 23 and Tony Parker will be 26 27.

So far, he seems like hes an extremely young Nazr Mohammed.

Rebounds, long reach, 6 10, has trouble with fouls and defense.

He's still developing, so it's hard to say where he'll end up, but hopefully he can develop some decent eye-hand coordination. Nazr with decent hands wouldn't be a bad guy to have in the rotation when he's ready. And the ceiling is well above that.

T Park
12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Well strange, IMO, Nazr's hands have gotten better.

Ive seen a big cutdown in passes dropped by him this year.

Sure hes gonna drop one once in a while, hell Duncan does, no ones perfect.

Marcus Bryant
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM

It's amazing what $40 mil or so on the line can do for a player's game.

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM

I hope you're right. He's a great guy to have in a lot of ways. I really miss all the great putbacks he was giving the Spurs down the stretch last year when he was getting more minutes.

Solid D
12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Nazr has the hand-eye coordination of a mole in sunlight.

Gummi
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I have high hopes for this kid. He could very well be in a Spurs uniform sooner then most people think. He could be a nice role player for us for years to come.

howard2
12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
How is the competition in France vs. other leagues, like Spain, NBDL, CBA, etc.

SequSpur
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Nazr has the hand-eye coordination of a mole in sunlight.

Nazr was big during the playoffs last year. So Stfu.

Its frickin the first week of December.

Solid D
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Nazr was b (pumpfake)...b (pumpfake)....b (travel)...big during the playoffs. :smokin

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Nazr was big during the playoffs last year. So Stfu.

Its frickin the first week of December.

Yeah, but even with all of the things he was doing well for us last year, it was still often painful to watch his hands of stone in action.

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Nazr was b (pumpfake)...b (pumpfake)....b (travel)...big during the playoffs. :smokin

:lmao

SequSpur
12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but even with all of the things he was doing well for us last year, it was still often painful to watch his hands of stone in action.

What is something wrong in winning a championship?

Get your priorities straight.

Rasho is a puss and he was rightfully demoted to cotton candy seller during the postseason.

Nazr was huge... pump fake... pump fake... :lol

Solid D
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't hear you asking people where your number 2 jersey is, do I? :smokin

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 06:46 PM
What is something wrong in winning a championship?

Get your priorities straight.

I'm not a Nazr-hater, and I don't necessarily think that Rasho is better.

Players have good points and bad points. Nazr is a monster on the offensive boards, but he has terrible hands.

You're right, his deficiencies obviously weren't the end of the world, because he was a key part of the rotation all the way to the title. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

boutons
12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
"he was a key part of the rotation all the way to the title"

hardly, he started and filled up some minutes, until Robert came in to close the games.

strangeweather
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
"he was a key part of the rotation all the way to the title"

hardly, he started and filled up some minutes, until Robert came in to close the games.

Which was more than you could say for Rasho or Beno last year. Just because you're not in at the end of games doesn't mean that you're worthless in the rotation, though it does mean that you're less valuable than the guy who finished the game. And I don't think anyone has said that Nazr is more valuable than Horry.