PDA

View Full Version : Delfino sits for a reason

ducks
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Delfino sits for a reason

Prince, Hamilton get most of the minutes

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

December 6, 2005

Q. What's going on with Carlos Delfino? He seems to be out of the rotation.

A. Well, he has been out of the rotation, but that hasn't been a reflection on his play. His benching has been a function of the excellent play of Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton.

Pistons president Joe Dumars and coach Flip Saunders have talked with Delfino about his situation. They have assured him his time will come and encouraged him to stay ready.

Delfino played more than 12 minutes Saturday. He had five points and a block, but he was overmatched defensively against Luol Deng.

Hamilton and Prince are averaging the most minutes on the team (Hamilton 36, Prince nearly 38). Saunders admits right now he doesn't believe he can have both players on the bench at the same time, though he did sit both Saturday for a spell.

So, he is able to use one guy to sub for those two, and Maurice Evans is that guy. It won't always be that way, Saunders said.

"Carlos is a guy I think can help us," he said. "But those two guys (Prince and Hamilton) have been as consistent as anybody on our team. That's why we've run into a tough situation with Carlos."

Q. How is Delfino dealing with it?

A. As well as you would expect. He understands, to a point. He's been professional, and he's continued to work hard and support the team.

But he is frustrated. More than once he has been told he would play and ended up not getting off the bench.

"Why even talk to me?" he said. "Don't tell me nothing."

Before the game Saturday, when he knew he would play, he said, "Now they are going to (play) me, after I haven't done anything for a month."

There was a rumor floating around that Delfino had asked Dumars to trade him. He and Dumars strongly deny that.

"I have not (asked for a trade)," Delfino said. "I just want to play."

Saunders is searching for ways to reduce Prince's workload and insists Delfino will get his shot.

Q. Will this be the season Chauncey Billups or Hamilton makes the Eastern Conference all-star team?

A. I believe it will be the season both make it, especially if the Pistons continue to maintain the NBA's best record. The sad thing is they will have to be voted in by the coaches. Fans vote in the starters, and unless fans here start stuffing the ballot, Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade and other more marketed players usually win the popularity contests.

But there is no way, assuming Billups, Hamilton and the Pistons continue to play as they have, the coaches can leave them off the team. What might happen is Ben Wallace, the team's annual all-star, would be left at home this time -- something he would gladly accept so his teammates can finally get their due.

Q. Did Sports Illustrated rank Billups the sixth-best point guard in the league?

A. Yeah, SI's Marty Burns, whose work I have enjoyed and respected through the years, recently put out a list of top 10 point guards. He listed Billups sixth, behind Steve Nash, Iverson, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury and Baron Davis.

Don't get bent out of shape about that. I am pretty sure, knowing how these lists work, Marty was just trying to create debate for the Internet. He probably didn't see that Billups outplayed Marbury last Friday, nor did he remember that Billups outplayed Nash on Nov. 10.

I think we can safely pencil in Billups as the second-best point guard in the league, just a bit behind Nash.

I don't think Kidd is anywhere near the point guard he was three years ago. I do think knee problems and age have robbed him of some of his quickness and explosiveness.

Iverson has been amazing. He led the 76ers in points and assists in each of their first 14 games, an NBA record according to Elias Sports Bureau. He also is having the best assist-turnover ratio of his career (2.76-to-1).

But is he really a point guard? Not only that, but the 76ers are 4-6 when he and Chris Webber combine to score 50 or more points.

After Nash and Billups, I would put Tony Parker (whom Burns ranked No. 10), Iverson and Gilbert Arenas. Kidd would lead the second tier and be joined by Mike Bibby (who didn't make Burns' list), Davis, Sam Cassell, Steve Francis and then, because I can't think of anybody else, Marbury.

Q. Will Shaquille O'Neal be back playing when the Pistons host the Heat on Dec. 29?

A. His hope is to be back on Christmas Day at the latest, when the Heat play the Lakers. But the healing process continues to be slow and frustrating.

"I can't turn. I can only go straight," O'Neal said last week.

theMUHMEshow
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Delfino is going to get traded. I have a source that is close to the team and has confirmed that he has asked for a trade this year.

kolko
12-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Delfino is going to get traded. I have a source that is close to the team and has confirmed that he has asked for a trade this year.

Well, I don't know if that's the right thing to do. I think he should be sent to the D-League where he will have minutes to prove he can contribute in the NBA. (The Fayetteville Patriots are the worst team of the D-League, so he should play a lot there)

ALVAREZ6
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Fuckin play Delfino.

Lurks-a-lot
12-10-2005, 01:04 PM
We will once he starts playing defense.

Pistonfan1
12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
In 2 years well be talking about Delfino making Rip sweat for his starting Job and soon after he will make his 1st all star team. He will be better then Manu but he needs playing time as does our future superstar in Darko to make it happen.

FreshPrince22
12-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Delfino with 9 points and 4 rebounds in 15 minutes tonight against the Clippers. Looks like this should boost his playing time significantly.
________
Roll A Joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Marklar MM
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Delfino with 9 points and 4 rebounds in 15 minutes tonight against the Clippers. Looks like this should boost his playing time significantly.

He looked great on offense...like that nifty little reverse layup on the cut through the lane.

FreshPrince22
12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Delfino appears to be a solid part of the rotation now. The last 2 games:

vs. Chicago: 21 minutes, 5 points, 4 boards, 5 assists
@ Charlotte: 19 minutes, 8 points, 4 boards, 2 assists (Posterized the crap out of Okafor, and had back-to-back lobs for Big Ben alley-oops)
________
Avandia Heart Attack (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

ALVAREZ6
12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Delfino appears to be a solid part of the rotation now. The last 2 games:

vs. Chicago: 21 minutes, 5 points, 4 boards, 5 assists
@ Charlotte: 19 minutes, 8 points, 4 boards, 2 assists (Posterized the crap out of Okafor, and had back-to-back lobs for Big Ben alley-oops)
That's nice to hear.

FreshPrince22
12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NCCK10312180153.jpg

Yes, it still went down.
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER PARTS (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I guess we should take your word for it? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Marklar MM
12-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I guess we should take your word for it? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

He is not a very informed person. Don't take what he says seriously.

ALVAREZ6
12-17-2005, 10:43 PM

Yes, it still went down.
BTW, I like those new red alternate Piston jerseys...

Sense
12-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Fuckin play Delfino.

Fuck Delfino.

FreshPrince22
12-18-2005, 06:05 AM
BTW, I like those new red alternate Piston jerseys...

I hope so! Because you'll be seeing a lot of them on Christmas Day! :eyebrows :makemyday
________
Mary (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Mary)

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2005, 06:23 AM
FUCK DELFINO with a capital F

jochhejaam
12-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Quote=NOSenseFuck Delfino.

Nice intelligent mature contribution to the thread guys, keep up the good work.

jochhejaam
12-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I guess we should take your word for it? [img]
Eyewitness here, it did go in. :lol

mike detroit
12-18-2005, 09:50 AM

Yes, it still went down.

that was a pretty sweet play. the guys on sportscenter seemed shocked that delfino could do that.

FreshPrince22
12-18-2005, 10:45 AM
that was a pretty sweet play. the guys on sportscenter seemed shocked that delfino could do that.

Yea, I heard that (Silas on NBA Fastbreak) I'm not though. Remember he threw one down on K-Mart last year? And in the olympics he dunked on someone pretty good as well from what I remember. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of that. To go with those impressive drives to the basket for layups.
________
DivineSmile (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/DivineSmile)

JamStone
12-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Fuck Delfino.

Fellas, I think he has a girlfriend. But, I'll try to find out for sure.

Sense
12-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Fellas, I think he has a girlfriend. But, I'll try to find out for sure.

Wow, I expected Argentinians to take it seriously but it seems the Piston fans can't get over anything.

JamStone
12-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Wow, I expected Argentinians to take it seriously but it seems the Piston fans can't get over anything.

Wow, it seems some Spurs fans can make a joke but can't take one.

theMUHMEshow
12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
He is not a very informed person. Don't take what he says seriously.

Besides working for am1270 the sports station covering the Pistons and knowing relatives within the team...I would not say that I am not informed.

MM...come talk to me next home game. I will be sitting behind the Pistons bench with the name "theMUHMEshow" on my media pass for you. :lol

Sense
12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow, it seems some Spurs fans can make a joke but can't take one.

i noticed da sarcasm, but u still answered to defend..

Pistons < Spurs
12-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Besides working for am1270 the sports station covering the Pistons and knowing relatives within the team...I would not say that I am not informed.

You work for 1270, and wonder why people think you're not informed??? LMAO!!! 1270 IMO is the absolute worst crap-ass sports station in the D.

I'll listen ocassionally, especially after 5:00 as 1130 lowers their wattage, causing me to lose the signal out in Ann Arbor, and I always come away amazed at how terrible the station is.....

ALVAREZ6
12-18-2005, 04:59 PM
You work for 1270, and wonder why people think you're not informed??? LMAO!!! 1270 IMO is the absolute worst crap-ass sports station in the D.

I'll listen ocassionally, especially after 5:00 as 1130 lowers their wattage, causing me to lose the signal out in Ann Arbor, and I always come away amazed at how terrible the station is.....
:lmao :lmao :lmao @ theMHUMEshow

JamStone
12-18-2005, 06:13 PM
i noticed da sarcasm, but u still answered to defend..

:lol :lol :lol

And, what are you doing???

My first post was obviously a joke. You had to make another comment to make you feel better to not be such a hypocritical crybaby. Chill out. Take a joke. Don't be so upset. It's only a messageboard.

Sense
12-18-2005, 06:20 PM
:lol :lol :lol

And, what are you doing???

My first post was obviously a joke. You had to make another comment to make you feel better to not be such a hypocritical crybaby. Chill out. Take a joke. Don't be so upset. It's only a messageboard.

I'm not defending anything, I'm just laughing at the fact that the I saw 2 detroit fans answer my post.. the first one wasn't kidding. Why wouldn't I expect another detroit fan to defend him?

Sarcasm was met, but you can't expect much from you fellas.

I just thought it was funny, I'm not offended one bit.

theMUHMEshow
12-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Really...wow you must be the only one because 1270 is the #1 station in Detroit right now son. Beat 1130 at everytime slot...And since there is two stations in Detroit it really doesnt say much for any team that is number one or two? Also, 1130 lowers their signal at 5:30...

Sorry you feel that way...apparently someone doesnt think that way considering they carry the majority of the sports teams in the area.

Reguardless...being in the media no matter what outlet does not mean you are uninformed. It means you are a lot closer to the bullshit than the average fan.

BTW...this coming from a guy that reps the D yet has a Pistons < Spurs as his name...SELLOUT!

1270>1050+1130 :lol

jochhejaam
12-18-2005, 07:26 PM
BTW...this coming from a guy that reps the D yet has a Pistons < Spurs as his name...SELLOUT!

I was posting when he changed it from Pistons>Spurs to Pistons<Spurs because they beat us in last years finals.
If we win the Christmas Day game maybe he'll have it changed back? :)

ALVAREZ6
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
I was posting when he changed it from Pistons>Spurs to Pistons<Spurs because they beat us in last years finals.
No.

Pistons < Spurs
12-18-2005, 08:13 PM

I said I would change it back this year when we (PISTONS!) win in the Finals!

mikejones99
12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
It is better that way. The Spurs are a better or greater team. Darko will have to play alot for Detroit to be contenders. Detroit -5 at home should win.

jochhejaam
12-19-2005, 06:20 AM
I said I would change it back this year when we (PISTONS!) win in the Finals!
It's sad when a Piston fan has to qualify who he means by "we". :lol

j/k :)

TPMG2007
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Why didn't anyone pick up on the fact that someone put Tony 3rd among point guards. That's a huge compliment. I know this about Delfino, but the fact that someone thinks Tony is top 3 is great. And the Marbury comment made me laugh. It's like he needed someone else to add. It's like he's saying "If there's no one left, then I'll take Marbury."

Edit: Okay he didn't say third. He grouped him with Arenas and Iverson after Billups and Nash. Still, that's top 5.

FreshPrince22
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Delfino had probably his best "impact" game of the season today. Pistons were down 14 to the Celtics in the 2nd quarter. He came in, knocked down a couple treys, and frustrated Paul Pierce. His defense has really been stellar lately against the bigger SFs of the league that Tayshaun struggles with.

His line: 14.5 minutes, 11 points (4-8 FG, 3-4 3FG), 1 boards, 1 assist, 1 block (actually 2, he was robbed on a goaltend), 1 steal, and multiple deflections that resulted in steals.

Here's Delfino forcing a jump ball on Paul Pierce.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/DTP10101162205.jpg

ABDENOUR POWER
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice game from Delfino. He got absolutely robbed when his stellar fast break block was taken away.

himat
01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
he sparked a huge rally. very good job on both ends. this piston bench can get a name for itself when lindsey comes back. delfino is very talented.

ALVAREZ6
01-16-2006, 07:38 PM
That's good news.

himat
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
That's good news.

i think he can become like manu, they are from the same country. he's a good ball handler, and slasher. he can get above the rim, andn from what i saw today against paul pierce play some D.

ALVAREZ6
01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
they are from the same country.
...I think I know....

:lol

Hopefully he will improve a lot. He just needed more playing time, and Larry Brown is a dickhead...Flip is a better coach for this team.

himat
01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
...I think I know....

:lol

Hopefully he will improve a lot. He just needed more playing time, and Larry Brown is a dickhead...Flip is a better coach for this team.

this team wouldn't have gotten as good as it has without lb, but it wouldn't have even got better if saunders didn't come. lB is the biggest lier, how could he say he wasn't healthy and then go out to new york and be in perfect shape? if he wanted out he should of just said it, now i don't understand why you would want to go from a championship contender to a lottery team. spurs have a toughie tonight, pistons barely won at memphis although they don't have damon stoudamire right now. he hits some big shots.

FreshPrince22
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Delfino needs to earn some respect from the refs though. He's a very physical defender (ala bowen), but he gets cheapy fouls easily since he usually guard the other team's best player (Lebron, Wade, Pierce, Ginobili, etc recently). And it's not because he doesn't move his feet. It's because he's right up on them, so guys lean into him when they take shots and the refs bail them out. 75% of them are non-calls to any player with a decent reputation.

I have to say... Last year, his defense was as bad as it gets. Literally awful. But he has been great on the defensive end this year. Probably our best on the ball defender. I don't know what he did to change his approach, but I like it. He's very aggressive.

If he can get his shot going better (like it was today), it's going to be impossible for Flip to not find at least 15-20 minutes per game for this guy.

himat
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Delfino needs to earn some respect from the refs though. He's a very physical defender (ala bowen), but he gets cheapy fouls easily since he usually guard the other team's best player (Lebron, Wade, Pierce, Ginobili, etc recently). And it's not because he doesn't move his feet. It's because he's right up on them, so guys lean into him when they take shots and the refs bail them out. 75% of them are non-calls to any player with a decent reputation.

I have to say... Last year, his defense was as bad as it gets. Literally awful. But he has been great on the defensive end this year. Probably our best on the ball defender.

not so fast, man. i think lindsey still holds that. he showed he can defend though. i think he'll get more calls after more games. this is great, if delfino keeps this up and when lindsey comes back we'll have a good bench. i don't think they'll be better than the 04 bench though. that group baiked out the startetrs many times. although sheed wasn't there for a while. that was a long time ago when memo started.

himat
01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Really...wow you must be the only one because 1270 is the #1 station in Detroit right now son. Beat 1130 at everytime slot...And since there is two stations in Detroit it really doesnt say much for any team that is number one or two? Also, 1130 lowers their signal at 5:30...

Sorry you feel that way...apparently someone doesnt think that way considering they carry the majority of the sports teams in the area.

Reguardless...being in the media no matter what outlet does not mean you are uninformed. It means you are a lot closer to the bullshit than the average fan.

1130 is the best detroit sports station hands down. the only problem is that late at night it cracks up a lot. 1050 is boring. i barely even listen to radio talk shows anyways.

FreshPrince22
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
not so fast, man. i think lindsey still holds that. he showed he can defend though.

Yea, I know that. But I said he has been the best perimeter defender this year. Lindsey hasn't played a game yet this year.

And the '04 bench was great in the REGULAR season. Come playoff time guys like Corliss and Okur were next to useless.

himat
01-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Yea, I know that. But I said he has been the best perimeter defender this year. Lindsey hasn't played a game yet this year.

And the '04 bench was great in the REGULAR season. Come playoff time guys like Corliss and Okur were next to useless.

i hope lindsey still has his hardnosed defense even though he had the injury.

theMUHMEshow
01-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Today was the first time that I saw Carlos actually having fun while playing. He was on the bench with a smile on his face, he was laughing at times instead of chomping on his gum like he has a gun to his head. He was joking around in the locker room and actually invited the media to speak with him instead of putting his head down and saying "No, i dont want to talk". It was good to see that from him. I hope he continues to at least enjoy his time here in Detroit.

himat
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea, I heard that (Silas on NBA Fastbreak) I'm not though. Remember he threw one down on K-Mart last year? And in the olympics he dunked on someone pretty good as well from what I remember. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of that. To go with those impressive drives to the basket for layups.

he also dunked on top of okafor this year (when he wasn't injured).

jochhejaam
01-17-2006, 10:18 PM
It's one thing for Delfino to be given quality minutes in a game and hold his own, it's quite another when he gets the chance to play quality minutes and leads the way during a comeback. Great game for Delfino!!

FreshPrince22
01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Delfino with another good game tonight (1.18.06)

21 Minutes, 11 points (4-9 FG, 2-3 3FG), 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal.

He had an absolutely nasty block on Marvin Williams trying to dunk it. He also played good Defense on Joe Johnson (who ended up 5 of 16 from the field)

FreshPrince22
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, the guy is consistant. Three 11 point games in a row. Another tonight against the Knicks..

19 Minutes, 11 points (3 of 4 FG, 1 of 1 3FG), 5 rebounds, 2 assists

I think it's safe to say he's locked into the rotation. He is doing a bit of everything on the court. Slashing/Shooting/Passing/Defending.

ALVAREZ6
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Good news :tu

He without a doubt deserves the minutes he's getting after sitting the whole season last year, bullshitting around, being the dude that practices but never actually play's in the game.

I never expected him to put up those kind of stats, I expected him to maybe play 1 or 2 years of NBA, get tired of being benched, then going back to Europe.

Good turn around, I'm happy for him.

Marklar MM
01-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Well last year he had a knee injury and was out for 3/4 of the season. Most don't know why Brown put Darvin Ham on the playoff roster over Delfino. He only played at the end of blowouts, or at the end of a quarter on defense.

ALVAREZ6
01-20-2006, 06:03 PM
^^ they never liked each other...

mike detroit
01-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Mo Evans is the new darvin ham, except evans can actually play.

FreshPrince22
01-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Mo Evans is the new darvin ham, except evans can actually play.

Evans is nothing like Darvin Ham. The only similarities are the fact that they're both bald, and they can both dunk. That's where it stops.

mike detroit
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Evans is nothing like Darvin Ham. The only similarities are the fact that they're both bald, and they can both dunk. That's where it stops.

well, I was referring to their athleticism, so we don't really disagree. Mo is by far a better player. I sort of didn't like him at first, he kept hitting those threes early in the season, and so he kept jacking up ill-advised ones for a while after that. he seems to have broken himself of that habit though, so he's AOK in my book.