PDA

View Full Version : Where did they go?

Kori Ellis
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm just curious about some of the guys that were in Spurs training camp this season.

Sharrod Ford is with the Suns.

Stephen Graham is playing with Sioux Falls in the CBA.

Where did Melvin Sanders and Jawad Williams go?

Solid D
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Jawad Williams is playing in the ACB in Madrid.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=ESP&Team=1993

Kori Ellis
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Jawad Williams is playing in the ACB in Madrid.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=ESP&Team=1993

Thanks. I knew I had read that somewhere, but then I couldn't find it.

Melvin??

Solid D
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Not sure.

T Park
12-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Sittin at home in OK I think.

Bruno
12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Stephen Graham has just signed with Houston :
http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3248746

Kori Ellis
12-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Stephen Graham has just signed with Houston :
http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3248746

That's awesome. He was on Noel's CBA team. Noel said that he's an awesome guy and a hard worker. Good luck to him with the Rockets.

usckk
12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
How can the Spurs lose to the lowly hawks :(

Spurologist
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Another set of brothers in the nba.

Bruno
12-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Graham play 35 sec on put 4 points (a dunk + 2 FT) against Blazers, he leads the league in scoring per 48 minutes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbascoring&sort=pts&order=true&league=nba&avg=48&qual=false&pos=all&season=2006&seasontype=2) :smokin

I hope for him he will play more than only during garbage time contrary to Sharrod Ford, he looks like a good guy. Anyway, being with a nba team is still a great achievement for an undrafted guy.

Bruno
12-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Suns have waived today Sharrod Ford. Merry Christmas Sharrod. :bang
Austin Toros have signed Ales Scales Wednesday.

missyy0867
12-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Suns have waived today Sharrod Ford. Merry Christmas Sharrod. :bang
Austin Toros have signed Ales Scales Wednesday.

i get to perform at the halftime of one of a toros game!! :spin

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2005, 01:31 PM
i get to perform at the halftime of one of a toros game!! :spin

what sort of performance is this??? :elephant :elephant im interested :spin

missyy0867
12-24-2005, 01:35 PM
well ive been dancing since i was 3 and im in this dance troupe/company called SMSD and they asked us to perform for a halftime but im not sure when we are

Bruno
12-24-2005, 01:44 PM
^^ Good Luck and Have Fun.

missyy0867
12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
^^ Good Luck and Have Fun.

thankyou!

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2005, 01:54 PM
wattabout big dog glen robinson, is he fully retired or plannin to get back into the nba?

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
wattabout big dog glen robinson, is he fully retired or plannin to get back into the nba?Funny you should ask:

NBA: Big Dog’s legacy

Dec. 24, 2005

By Justin Breen / Post-Tribune deputy sports editor

Glenn Robinson is waiting in Atlanta for a phone call that may never come. F About to turn 33 on Jan. 10, Robinson still is not signed by an NBA team, despite an 11-year career in which he’s averaged more than 20 points and six rebounds. F His former coach at Roosevelt, Ron Heflin, said the “Big Dog” still has perhaps five good years left in the NBA. F His former foe at Brebeuf High School and Indiana University, Alan Henderson, said Robinson could certainly help several NBA clubs with his scoring ability. F His former teammate and roommate at Purdue, Cuonzo Martin, said if Robinson wanted to play right now, he would.

So what’s the problem?

“If teams still found him worthy, he would still be playing, wouldn’t he?” said Bill Benner, a former longtime columnist for the Indianapolis Star. “If teams still found him worthy, then he’d be on a roster now.”

In that case, the No. 1 pick in the 1994 NBA draft might just retire.

And if that happens, then what’s Robinson’s legacy?

Is the small forward the best player to ever come out of Gary?

Is he one of the top players in the Hoosier State’s history? Was his career a success, considering the mammoth expectations fans had for him coming out of Purdue, when he was the consensus national player of the year in 1994?

And does the Big Dog have any bite left?

“I’m surprised that he’s not playing, only from the standpoint that he could help teams,” said Henderson, now a forward with the Cleveland Cavaliers. “I think he’s just waiting to see what’s a good fit for him.”

F F F

Robinson, who is living in Atlanta and could not be reached for comment, averaged a freakish 30.3 ppg his last season at Purdue.

After sitting out his freshman season as a Prop 48 case, Robinson did it all with the Boilers — score, pass, rebound, block shots.

Robinson was simply unstoppable.

In only two seasons, he became the first player in Big Ten history to score more than 1,000 points, and he is the only Purdue player to notch more than 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 100 assists and 50 blocked shots.

“In my era, Glenn Robinson was the best at Purdue,” said Robinson’s former coach at Purdue, Gene Keady, who’s now an assistant with the Toronto Raptors. “I never saw anybody better out of Indiana during my time there.”

It was the natural progression from high school, where Robinson was the state’s Mr. Basketball after leading the Panthers to a title in 1991.

The state championship game was vintage Big Dog. He showed Henderson and the rest of the state why he was worthy of Indiana’s top individual honor with a game-high 22 points, 10 rebounds and three blocked shots in a 51-32 victory before 30,345 at the Hoosier Dome (now the RCA Dome). Robinson guarded Henderson, also considered a favorite for Mr. Basketball, the whole game, holding him to 14 points.

“If I had that kind of talent, I would talk trash all the time,” Martin said. “But as good as he was, he wasn’t a kind of guy who grabbed the attention.”

But the attention was on Robinson anyway, especially after he was selected No. 1 by the Bucks.

He put up legitimate numbers in Milwaukee, even making two All-Star teams, but Benner said some fans thought Robinson could have done much, much more.

“I think as a high school and college player, he’s certainly up there among the all-time (Indiana) greats,” Benner said. “Unfortunately, his pro career kind of diminishes that legacy a little bit.

“As a No. 1 draft choice, people believed he would attain superstar status for years in the NBA. Simply, that didn’t happen.

“The level of player that came out of high school and Purdue, that places a pretty high level of expectation. He just didn’t quite get to that top rung of the ladder.”

Robinson’s agent, Charles Tucker, said he was the type of player who could go out and score 15 points in a few minutes, and no one would notice. While other players were bold and brash, Tucker said Robinson did his statistical damage in relative anonymity.

“It’s because his personality is like that. Glenn wasn’t a fan of himself, so when you get players who aren’t fans of themselves, sometimes they’re kind of subdued,” Tucker said. “He’s just a basic player. Sometimes basic players at the end of the day have all the points.”

The last two seasons, Robinson’s scoring average dropped greatly.

After being traded from Milwaukee — where he was the Bucks’ second leading all-time scorer behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar — to Atlanta to Philadelphia, he averaged 16.6 points per game with the 76ers in 2003-04.

He signed as a free agent with the San Antonio Spurs last season, playing just nine regular season games and averaging 10.0 ppg. Robinson did win an NBA title with the Spurs, but he averaged 8.7 minutes per game in the playoff run.

Those diminished postseason stats have reflected the ones throughout Robinson’s career. In 39 playoff games, he averaged only 13.8 points and 4.7 rebounds, and prior to the Spurs winning it all, Robinson’s teams never went past the conference finals. Plus, at Purdue, Robinson was one win away from reaching the Final Four, but the Boilermakers never got there after losing to Duke in the Elite Eight.

“Had he stayed at Purdue another season on a team that had all the tools to win a national championship, who knows what that might have done to his overall stature,” Benner said. “And you never got the feeling that he made any of his teams better.”

Before this season started, Tucker said several times that he expected Robinson to sign with someone within a few weeks.

That hasn’t happened.

“I would surmise his career would extend a little longer than that,” said Dick Barnett, a Roosevelt grad who won titles with the New York Knicks in 1970 and 1973. “I would surmise that he still has some basketball left in him.”

F F F

Perhaps injuries have ended Robinson’s NBA tenure.

Martin said he heard speculation that Robinson, who has dealt with elbow, wrist, ankle and leg ailments for much of his career, was injured again and had decided to hang it up.

Robinson also has experienced off-court problems. He was arrested in 2002 on charges of domestic battery, assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. In 1999, he was arrested and charged with disorderly intoxication outside a Miami nightclub.

“Any kind of that nonsense sticks with you,” Benner said. “I don’t think it helped his legacy at all.”

Said Martin: “I think he’s always been a quality person. Sometimes things take place and you move on.”

Tucker said the passing of Robinson’s mother, Christine Bridgeman, last spring has done most of the damage. He said Robinson was not ready to play — nor did he have the drive to compete — last season.

“He had a bad year last year. He didn’t have an interest in playing, and now people understand why,” Tucker said. “That took a lot out of Glenn. They were so close.”

If Robinson does play again, Heflin said his role will have to change from a leading scorer to more of a blue-collar grinder, possibly coming off the bench. Barnett said Robinson certainly will be making less money because “his status has changed.”

F F F

Everyone interviewed said Robinson is unquestionably one the best basketball players in Indiana’s history, perhaps behind only Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson. Heflin would not say that Robinson is the top player ever from Gary, but he did slot him among the city’s all-time greats.

Apparently, there are other options for the Big Dog if he does call it quits. If Robinson’s NBA phone call never arrives, Martin said he easily could go into the stereo business.

“He’s one of those guys, you could give him stereo parts, and he put them together with ease,” Martin said. “He could tear it apart, without a manual and put it back together.

“It came naturally to him.”

It’s hard to imagine Robinson’s life without basketball, though.

Purdue personnel spotted his immense talent well before high school, and basketball has brought Robinson wealth, fame and respect.

Perhaps he’s hoping it brings him another ring of the phone, and another opportunity.

Contact Justin Breen at 648-3122 or [email protected]

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/12-24-05_z1_spor_01.html

Bruno
12-24-2005, 01:59 PM
wattabout big dog glen robinson, is he fully retired or plannin to get back into the nba?

I've read something about him today and the writer don't know if he want/can still play in nba.
http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/12-24-05_z1_spor_01.html

edit :I'm not the only one who has read it.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2005, 02:08 PM
If you guys want to catch up with Larry Ayuso, he's playing for Zalgiris on NBAtv's Euroleague game of the week.

Solid D
12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Rockets release Stephen Graham, add John Lucas, III and Josh Davis.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/

HOUSTON, Dec. 29 – Houston Rockets General Manager Carroll Dawson today announced that the team has waived G/F Stephen Graham. Graham played in six games for the Rockets since signing with the team on 12/10, averaging 2.8 points and 1.2 rebounds in those appearances.

The Rockets roster now stands at 15 players: Rafer Alston, Derek Anderson, Jon Barry, Lonny Baxter, Ryan Bowen, Josh Davis, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Tracy McGrady, Dikembe Mutombo, Martyn “Moochie” Norris, Bob Sura, Stromile Swift, David Wesley and Yao Ming

Kori Ellis
12-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Graham went back to Sioux Falls (CBA) -- Noel's team -- after he got released.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Fayetteville Acquires Sanders

GREENVILLE, S.C., Jan. 4 – The Fayetteville Patriots have acquired guard Melvin Sanders from the NBA Development League available player pool and waived forward Mark Karcher.

Sanders, 6-5, 210, was in vet camp with the San Antonio Spurs this season after averaging a team-high 15.4 points, 2.4 rebounds, 1.0 assists and 1.2 steals for the Spurs team in the 2005 Rocky Mountain Revue. He also appeared in four games for the New Jersey Nets in the Reebok Summer League, averaging 8.0 points, 1.0 rebounds and 1.0 assist.

He played for the Dakota Wizards in the CBA last season, averaging 18.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.0 assists over 48 games. As a senior at Oklahoma State, Sanders averaged 13.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 assists.

Karcher played in 10 games (one start) for Fayetteville, averaging 23.8 minutes, 10.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists.

Sanders is expected to be in uniform when the Patriots (3-10) are host to Roanoke (6-9) at the Crown Coliseum on Friday. He will wear jersey No. 34.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/fayetteville/sanders_060104.html

ChumpDumper
01-11-2006, 02:30 AM
FAYETTEVILLE PATRIOTS-Signed F Sharrod Ford.

Nice to be able to keep track of him, Melvin and Erik Daniels all in one place.