PDA

View Full Version : Miles injury may derail deal

ducks
12-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Knicks' Robinson to take 'home' court
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff
SEATTLE -- You have to figure if Nate Robinson is becoming big in the New York area, even at 5-foot-9, he must be huge in Seattle.

Indeed, most sports fans in the Seattle area already know what Knicks fans are learning -- that the undersized, high-flying Robinson is an exciting, explosive, fearless, unpredictable and sometimes just straight-up wacky player.

Growing up in Seattle, Robinson starred at Rainier Beach High School and then played three years for the University of Washington basketball team and one year as a defensive back on the football team. But tonight the hometown fans will get their first chance to see him in a Knicks uniform as he makes his NBA debut in Seattle against the Sonics.

Advertisement

"It's a long journey and I think about it in my mind," he said. "I'm here now and I think about where I came from and what kind of a journey it took to get here. It's going to great going back home for the first time, being a rookie."

And the ever-confident Robinson, who said he would supply tickets to more than 100 friends and family members, predicts half the fans at Key Arena will be there to cheer him and fellow Seattle native Jamal Crawford.

"It's going to be weird," he said, "because you're going to be hearing mixed signals, as in, who's cheering for the Sonics or the Knicks. It's going to be 50-50. It's going to be up and down, but it's going to be great."

Considering Robinson has no reluctance to shoot from almost anywhere on the court, and will do the occasional "nutty" thing, as Larry Brown recently said, some may wonder if Robinson may be overcome with the emotion of the moment and play out of control.

But Robinson points out he has already played enough games in his hometown for a lifetime, so he claims Brown need not worry.

"Not at all," he said. "I've been doing it since I was young. I went to the University of Washington, I went to Rainer Beach. It'll be no problem."

Crawford, who played alongside Robinson for one year in high school, has already played five times in Seattle, so this won't be new for him. But it will be different for Robinson.

Crawford played his college ball at Michigan, and perhaps because he's 6-5 and not 5-9, he isn't as popular as Robinson is back home. Despite his size, Robinson led the Huskies in scoring all three years he played, and last year led Washington to a 29-6 record and its first Pac-10 tournament championship.

"He had success there," Crawford said. "People love him. They're going to be really excited to see him for the first time in a Knicks uniform. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of excitement and nervousness."

Brown would love to start Robinson, in keeping with his tradition of starting players in their hometowns. But with both Robinson and Crawford hailing from Seattle, that poses a dilemma. He either must start three guards, or break Stephon Marbury's streak of 259 starts, the fifth-longest active streak in the NBA.

"It doesn't matter," Robinson said. "It doesn't bother me. I'll just be sitting there waiting until he calls my number, and I'll be ready to play."

So far he has been surprisingly ready. He is averaging 7.6 points per game in 16.5 minutes, and although he has given his new coach some bouts with high anxiety, he has been more a part of the rotation than many expected. Expect a few memorable moments tonight, too.

"I just can't wait," he said.

Darius Miles, a player in whom the Knicks have had some interest, has a right knee problem that may require surgery. That would thwart not only any possible plans to acquire him, but may also mean Portland won't be willing to trade Ruben Patterson, whom the Knicks have also inquired about. Patterson played Sunday after missing seven games following his blowup with coach Nate McMillan.

boutons
12-07-2005, 10:30 AM
"I think about it in my mind"

Think about it in any other place? :)