PDA

View Full Version : Yet another job I applied for is taken. Why is this so hard?

easjer
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
There were three jobs I applied for that I really, really wanted. That I was qualified for (according to the application listings), that I felt in my bones I would be good at and were ideal in a lot of ways (not the least of which was getting to move home).

All three, I didn't even get an interview. :depressed

I honest to God do not know where to look next. Everything that I'd ideally like to do? I need a master's degree or other additional education that I cannot possibly afford (I'm all too aware of student loans, but I'm the primary $ contributor to our family, and we need every penny of salary, paltry as it is) right now.

It seems like everything that's left is administrative work that I am overqualified for or HR work that I am not qualified for.

I want to be out of this job so badly I want to cry every morning when I wake up. I lay in bed thinking of ways to get out of going to work. I hate it so much that it physically hurts to walk in the door. I see the associate dean and have to bite my lip from screaming at him that he's a fucking moron who is driving every last staff member up a fucking wall.

I don't think there is much advice left to receive. People tell me to be patient, to keep putting my resume out there and working my contacts and the right job will come through or something else will happen that will let me go back to school. But I'm fucking miserable right now. The level of my misery is so high that I am incapable of doing any work right now. I've been staring at a mail merge for the last half hour.

SequSpur
12-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Have you tried a headhunter/staffing company to assist you in your search?

easjer
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Not yet, but I guess that's the next step. I also have a private school that I'll be applying for, but I don't really want to teach. I'm about 80% certain they'll hire me because of where I currently work. They are desparate to keep up a high success rate of getting their students into college, and since I've worked on an admissions committee, they'll salivate over me. What a joy.

spurschick
12-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand what kind of job you are looking for. Are you looking for jobs at schools?

easjer
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
No. I work at a college now. I'm not opposed to working at schools, and one job I'd applied for was with a school district for reworking their afterschool programs. I've looked at registrar positions and attendance officer positions.

I've looked at HR positions (since admissions translates easily to that). I've looked at events organization. I've looked at childbirth education. I've looked at counseling and ministry.

I want something that is challenging. I'm good at reorganizing processes and making them more efficient. I'm a very good judge of character and at reading people. I'm very good at sorting data and analyzing it and at dealing with databases in FileMakerPro. I'm good at working on my own with a deadline and minimal supervision. I hate middle management jobs, and don't care to supervise people.

What does that translate too? Shrug.

I mention the private school only because I know they are taking applications, I don't have to be certified, but I'm pretty certain they'd hire me (as a teacher). I *could* do that, but I know they would be hiring me for my college experience. They boast about a high acceptance rate to four year programs. Having reviewed several of their students in the past, I have to assume it's not fully based on merit. They would love to have someone like me to help groom their students for college, not because I'm really great at explaining American history.

JoeChalupa
12-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Toyota?

Have you tried posting your resume on one of the many job websites?

Old School Chic
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Don't give up!

I'm sure God has something special lined up for you... don't lose Faith.

Vashner
12-07-2005, 04:22 PM
It's called life.. after you know.. you leave the parents nest.. it sucks..
The "work" factor.

easjer
12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Yep, it's on monster and careerbuilder. For all the good that does. I got an email about an HR job that requires a Russian speaker. Why they thought I spoke Russian is entirely beyond me.

I get a lot of crap. I've found a couple of things, but was too late for consideration or as above, never got called back.

:depressed

spurschick
12-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'm still a bit vague on what it is you actually do. I asked about schools because I know a few people that work at Incarnate Word and ITT Tech that might know of openings there.

midgetonadonkey
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Everytime I don't get a job, I think back to what my father used to tell me. If they don't want you to work for them, Fuck'em.

easjer
12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Sorry. Right now, I work at a college in Houston, which is part of a university here. I run our front office, and do lots of things. My primary job is running the admissions process for our college - this includes recruitment activities, data entry, file completion, correspondence, answering questions, data verification, making admissions decisions, and post-admission recruitment. I also do some academic advising, but it's mostly general (not degree specific, but I wouldn't rule out doing that). I coordinate our 'advising week' with other departments on campus (because we are an independant program - our students need advising in their major, but with an emphasis on the courses needed to also complete our curriculum), I coordinate our freshman orientations over the summer, I register students, I maintain our student records (in both electronic and physical formats), I plan and execute a couple of special events including our graduation dinner (seated dinner for 500) and our annual convocation, and sit on a couple of committees (which are a joke and utter waste of my time). I supervise our student office workers and manage the front office. I help plan a couple of recruitment events and our Freshmen Retreat (overnight off location).

That's the summary. Lots of different hats.

The problem is that I'm not sure how much of this hate for my job is directly related to the work I do and how much to this particular place. I've looked at Rice, TLU, UTSA, HBU, TWU, TSU (SM), lots of places, but there hasn't been much that caught my eye. Of course, there is usually big turnover in late January in colleges, so I'll keep feeling that out. I had forgotten about Incarnate Word, so I'll check that out (also St. Thomas, while I'm thinking about it).

As you see, as much as I want to move home (New Braunfels), I'm not committed to any particular place.

Old School Chic
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Spurs, Sports, & Entertainment Is hiring right now for Premium Seat & Services Coordinator...

Send In your resume today to 210-444-5695 Attn: Terri Grover

Good Luck! :spin

easjer
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I'll check that out. It's a new one. Thank, L!

Old School Chic
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I'll check that out. It's a new one. Thank, L!

You welcome :spin