PDA

View Full Version : Clemens Done?!

Big Pimp_21
12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Astros will not offer Clemens arbitration, meaning that he can't sign w/ them until at least May 1st. The 'stros will likely move on and the Rocket will retire. Sad day in Astroworld.

Spurminator
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
That's a lot of money they're saving. I hope it's spent well.

T Park
12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Hope the Astros spend money.

Unlike the cheap ass Cardinals.

Fuckin theives. :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

timvp
12-08-2005, 05:19 AM

I love irony.

Extra Stout
12-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Or...

Clemens pitches in the WBC in March, rests for a month, signs with the Astros in May, and starts pitching in June.

It wouldn't be bad for a 44-year old pitcher to play four months rather than six.

Extra Stout
12-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Yes. New stadium. New revenue streams from MLB.com, XM, etc. Millions from auctioning off every piece of the old stadium from the seats to the restroom fixtures.

But not a dime of additional payroll.

DeWitt is fucking Cardinals fans up the ass.

Goodbye, Reggie Sanders, Larry Walker, Mark Grudzielanek, Julian Tavarez, and Matt Morris. Hello, Aaron Miles, Larry Bigbie, So Taguchi as a full-time starter, and Anthony Reyes as the #5 pitcher. Hello, AAA talent in the bullpen.

It's like 1950 all over again.

King
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Agreed on Dewitt. I didn't like the idea of paying Burnett that much - but such is the market. Pay him the money, or pay much lesser talent the same amount when the market goes up next year. They went to 4/40 but wouldn't go to 5/50. Ridiculous.

I don't think Grudz will repeat his last season, but not paying 2/6 for him?

If they can pull Vazquez from AZ, then I'll be alright with the offseason.

Spurminator
12-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Or...

Clemens pitches in the WBC in March, rests for a month, signs with the Astros in May, and starts pitching in June.

It wouldn't be bad for a 44-year old pitcher to play four months rather than six.

I don't know man... I think the idea sounds great (I would have loved to have August Clemens pitching in last year's WS rather than October Clemens), but Roger has a lot of pride and I have to wonder if he wasn't put off by Purpura's comments to the press yesterday about not wanting to wait around for him to make up his mind.

Besides, if the Astors spend that money on other free agents, I can't see them also ponying up for Clemens.

Hope I'm wrong.